New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Well of course it's a monstrous harlequin. When I think 'president of a giant corporation', that's the first thing that springs to mind!
    Maybe the company is Enron, *HONK HONK*!

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess the Harlequin kind of makes sense as a Soul puppet master, and it definitely answers my earlier criticisms about the Company throwing away personnel and resources for something of considerably less value.

If I am understanding his powers correctly, not a single person from the Company has actually been killed. Only their physical forms were destroyed/damaged, and the Owner can restore them any time he feels like expending the power/mana, as long as their man 'soul body' isn't damaged.

On the other hand, if I am understanding correctly how he works, if the main body is killed/neutralized, EVERY ONE of them will die with it. Which I imagine is going to be a plot point very soon.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    On the other hand, if I am understanding correctly how he works, if the main body is killed/neutralized, EVERY ONE of them will die with it. Which I imagine is going to be a plot point very soon.
    I'm not sure that the harlequin body is any more or less real than the mooks are. There's a Company consciousness that inhabits all of their bodies simultaneously; why should one be more special than the others just because it's the current mouthpiece? He even includes himself when talking about the individuals that become dolls for the Company to manipulate, although nitpicking that sort of thing in a speed translation might be a mistake.

One thing that is special about the harlequin is that the body is specifically noted as being powerful enough to contain the massive Company ego without suffering "unspeakable side effects." I get the impression that the President is entirely synthetic, so presumably the Company would be able to recreate the body if this one got destroyed, and exist in other bodies until that process is complete.

What I'm wondering is what connection the Owner had to this whole hive mind thing. According to the President, the absorption into the Company is gradual; it's possible that higher ranks have more significant independence from the central ego. But the Black Summoner was able to consume the Owner's soul. Does that mean he can do so to every individual enemy, thus gradually weakening the President? If Jee Han is going to contribute to this fight at all, that's probably how.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-04-02 at 10:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, the best way for Jee Han to contribute is probably to have Gnome dig under one of those giant pillars; from the way they interact with each other, toppling even one would probably break or weaken the entire effect.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the President is higher up than the Owner.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the President is higher up than the Owner.
    Judging from the discussion a while back about how Hell has both a Grand Duke and a President, it may be as simple as the Korean author randomly picking Western titles without really understanding what type or level of position they represent.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #847
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Judging from the discussion a while back about how Hell has both a Grand Duke and a President, it may be as simple as the Korean author randomly picking Western titles without really understanding what type or level of position they represent.
    I think this is correct. But my headcanon is as follows: the Company is really just an excuse, a facade for this multi-soul's actions. So of course the Owner of the facade is not really that important. The President is in charge of the multi-soul's decisions.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    No, that part is accurate -- they're from the Ars Goetia, which indeed has both president-demons and dukes. "President" meant something different when the Ars Goetia was written.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-04-03 at 12:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    No, that part is accurate -- they're from the Ars Goetia, which indeed has both president-demons and dukes. "President" meant something different when the Ars Goetia was written.
    It's more than that - a number of the entities have explicitly different ranks in the actual text of the Goetia itself - for instance, Botis is referred to in 3 different places as a President, Count and Earl, Ipos is alternately referred to as Prince, Prelate, Count and Earl, and so on.

And you are correct, at the time the Goetia was written, 'President' was a title of the person presiding over a gathering/meeting and ensuring that they follow the rules of debate/discussion/action set down by the body. As such, they would not wield direct decision making power as an executive, but they still could possess considerable power over the decision making process of the ruling body. So a President wouldn't rule a country, but there could potentially be a President of whatever Congress/Parliament the country had in place.

Also, for those of you that are not aware of the Ars Goetia, it is actually the basis for quite a lot of modern demon/summoning lore, and quite a few of its representatives appear in a LOT of modern games and stories (although the Ars Goetia may not have been their FIRST appearance in lore, it was generally how they came to more public knowledge).

Some of the most common of the Ars Goetia to make appearances:

Bael - appears as top demon in more stories than can be conveniently listed
    Valefor - appears in a number of stories as a summoned entity
    Glasya-Labolas - appears in quite a number of RPGs, although interestingly he usually appears as a common monster rather than a boss/final enemy
    Astaroth - Has made a few appearances as a powerful demon
    Asmodeus - Again, has appeared in more stories than can conveniently be counted, although usually as a lesser/secondary antagonist
    Belial - Appears less frequently, but when he does appear tends to be the main antagonist.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head, I'm sure if I pulled up the full list I'd see some more familiar names.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #850

It's more than that - a number of the entities have explicitly different ranks in the actual text of the Goetia itself - for instance, Botis is referred to in 3 different places as a President, Count and Earl, Ipos is alternately referred to as Prince, Prelate, Count and Earl, and so on.
    Maybe he holds multiple titles? One can be a Prince, a Count, and an Earl simultaneously, as the son of a king who holds both an Earldom in England and a County in France. Although I don't think you could at the same time be a Prelate.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Maybe demon religion lets rulers be bishops?

12. - Top - End - #852
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

The company is forever! All hail profits!

So I'm thinking Jee-han's clever plan here is to disrupt the pillars somehow, I'm guessing he's going to try to get gnome to dig a giant hole either under one or multiple of them to try to move them out of the way to give the black summoner back his insane powers I guess.

Also, it seems like Jee-han would do well to try to get some sort of visual mimicry skill, would be amazingly useful in situations like this if he could watch the guy doing lightning teleport and then gain that as a skill.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

The "soon" is a bit silly; this fight has dragged out awfully long.

On the other hand, seeing Jee-Han trying to explain the concept of a date to Shi-Yun and her reaction were amusing.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    The "soon" is a bit silly; this fight has dragged out awfully long.

On the other hand, seeing Jee-Han trying to explain the concept of a date to Shi-Yun and her reaction were amusing.
    Awfully long? I have the exact opposite impression - I feel like its moving too FAST, a lot of allegedly powerful individuals are dying so fast that their powers aren't even fully explored (or explained at all, for the Company guys). We're at only about 12 or so chapters for this whole gigantic battle (depending on where you define the 'start' to be).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

15. - Top - End - #855
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Awfully long? I have the exact opposite impression - I feel like its moving too FAST, a lot of allegedly powerful individuals are dying so fast that their powers aren't even fully explored (or explained at all, for the Company guys). We're at only about 12 or so chapters for this whole gigantic battle (depending on where you define the 'start' to be).
    I don't mind the guys dying quickly, since they are fighting bigger fish who don't want to take any risks, so it kind of builds up the higher echelon of these fights as incredibly efficient and lethal bouts where any tiny mistake means your dead, rather then a sort of gigantic laser light show with frivolous displays of power.

16. - Top - End - #856

I think they're introducing the guys too fast. Jee Han hasn't even clawed his way to B rank and already we're seeing SSS rank guys duking it out. Now his accomplishments will pale in comparison to the things we've already seen.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I think they're introducing the guys too fast. Jee Han hasn't even clawed his way to B rank and already we're seeing SSS rank guys duking it out. Now his accomplishments will pale in comparison to the things we've already seen.
    I believe that is the point of all this. Sure, Jee-Han has shown amazing growth and power. But he's got a LONG way to go before he can stand toe to toe with the big boys. Also, the author appears to have set up this whole fight to show that raw power is secondary to using your abilities wisely (Jee-Han is almost certainly about to bust the sealing pillars and let Black Summoner lay waste to the Company). So Jee-Han will be directly responsible for the victory, despite not having enough combat power to make so much as a a smear on the fist of any member of the group currently fighting.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

More insight into the companies power, seems to be really broken, also an even more absurd waste of resources for what they could possibly gain(though I guess mitigated since they only really lost a bunch of low level grunts? Still, seems kind of a ridiculous cost). More powers from the Black Summoner, and Jee-Han with a weirdly impassioned plea while being incredibly vulnerable. All in all, kinda meh.

19. - Top - End - #859

Ha, so I was right - killing the President doesn't actually do anything.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm just sad the author has apparently forgotten the Witch and the Druid are still around.... right there.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm just sad the author has apparently forgotten the Witch and the Druid are still around.... right there.
    Hah, I totally forgot about that too. Was her being choked ever resolved? Actually where's the metal demon guy too, he's kinda vanished as well...Wait they're dealing with the Hopolites I think, which have also been kind of ignored.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think he forgot. I just assumed that unlike Black Summoner, they do not have the power necessary to operate inside the sealing pillars, and the Witch is comatose on the ground, and Druid is locked in tree form, unable to do anything but hang out being a tree.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

This explains why they were willing to spend such a fortune on the assult, they were not after the rare item black soul, but the extremely powerful unique SSS class Black Summoner!
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #864
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Go go gadget plan!

Looks like they're wrapping up the fight now that the summoner is fully unleashed(no one else seemed particularly worried during the whole end segment), also more hints that the...super magician(I honestly forget his name but the third faction in the turf war) is in some way related to Jee-Han since I'm guessing that's whose protection he had. Also go go heal bot.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Finally, the moment I've been waiting for: The Gamer shows his hand!
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that clears up a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    New Chapter!

Go go gadget plan!

Looks like they're wrapping up the fight now that the summoner is fully unleashed(no one else seemed particularly worried during the whole end segment), also more hints that the...super magician(I honestly forget his name but the third faction in the turf war) is in some way related to Jee-Han since I'm guessing that's whose protection he had. Also go go heal bot.
    "The Existence Eater is Jee-Han's mother" is the R+L=J of this comic.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Harem King is Jee-Han's dad, because...well, look at the harem Jee-Han's assembling now. Confidence in this prediction about 10%, but that's not the point.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-04-23 at 01:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Bugbear in the Playground

His RPG like healing spell is probably his most powerful ability at the moment, if he works with strong people. Others can still throw around bigger destructive magic than him but instant spammable healing hasn't been demonstrated by anyone else.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Well, that clears up a lot of things.

"The Existence Eater is Jee-Han's mother" is the R+L=J of this comic.
    I don't think it has quite that much support. There's some reasons to suspect it, but there's also some problems that would have to be explained -- everyone else has referred to the Existence Eater as male, and they've said that he's a student seeking a government job, neither of which particularly seem to fit what we know about Jee-Han's mother.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    His RPG like healing spell is probably his most powerful ability at the moment, if he works with strong people. Others can still throw around bigger destructive magic than him but instant spammable healing hasn't been demonstrated by anyone else.
    In the words of dende don't **** with a white mage
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Somehow I don't think the Black Summoner is about to become the new President of the Company...