Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1166

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP, gamer body, and possibly MP with the take-MP-instead-of-HP-damage spell (Mana Protection?) that was mentioned a while back. He's got tons of mana and mana regen, he can afford some major hits to his mana.

The really funny thing is that I think he actually used Fool's Act from way back in Chapter 22 here.

As for the ending, my guess is that Chunbumoon was independently investigating this place, just got here, didn't see Jee-Han's battle because they were inside, and now to them it looks suspiciously like Jee-Han's the bad guy and he's bringing this unconscious person (who they don't know who it is) to join the pile of victims.
    Yep, it was totally Fool's Act. Remember it has a chance to confuse the target for 2 seconds - and it worked.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    For the rest, not really sure on that. I mean Jee-Han and the bad guy were shredding the area in front of the building. I literally don't know how it's possible for them be there and NOT notice the fight going on.

I think Sun-Il's suspicion is due to the fact that he basically realized Jee-Han was considering executing an unconscious person and is pissed about it.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-02-11 at 05:47 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    HP, gamer body, and possibly MP with the take-MP-instead-of-HP-damage spell (Mana Protection?) that was mentioned a while back. He's got tons of mana and mana regen, he can afford some major hits to his mana.

The really funny thing is that I think he actually used Fool's Act from way back in Chapter 22 here.

As for the ending, my guess is that Chunbumoon was independently investigating this place, just got here, didn't see Jee-Han's battle because they were inside, and now to them it looks suspiciously like Jee-Han's the bad guy and he's bringing this unconscious person (who they don't know who it is) to join the pile of victims.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it's Fool's Act, then why did Jee Han need to get hit by the attack? Is it just his strategy of continuing to soak up the other guy's mana so he couldn't mount a defense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it's Fool's Act, then why did Jee Han need to get hit by the attack? Is it just his strategy of continuing to soak up the other guy's mana so he couldn't mount a defense?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe he needed him to be close? Even if Fool's Act has a long range, 2 seconds might not have been enough to blast him afterwards if he was far away.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    He baited the guy into basically putting his blob into 'attack mode'. Then he froze him with Fool's Act and blew him away.

Remember, before that he was using it as a shield, and that shield would still be there even if he couldn't move. But with the blob changed to that.... cork... attack... thing... it was worthless for defense and he couldn't switch it back.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-02-11 at 06:18 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #1085

I guess both of those answers make sense - the overall factors involved were much more advantageous after the gambit, even if it was a bit of a sacrifice in the short term.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    He baited the guy into basically putting his blob into 'attack mode'. Then he froze him with Fool's Act and blew him away.
    Ah, that makes sense. Bait him out of shield mode, then use a disable that won't be recognized as such until too late, and then attack. Because just attacking normally would prompt a switch back to shield mode before it hits, and really, who would believe Fool's Act was an attack of any sort?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    I think Sun-Il's suspicion is due to the fact that he basically realized Jee-Han was considering executing an unconscious person and is pissed about it.
    I think he just rushed here frantically with his entire team because he thought Jee-Han was going to get himself killed based on their last exchange; that's why he's so pissed about Jee-Han's flippant "oh, you're here?" remark. And Sun-Il's objections to killing the guy are probably partially what you said, partially because killing a member of the Company would make Jee-Han (and, by extension, Chunbumoon) a serious target -- obviously the Company doesn't let people get away with killing members. It's bad enough that he raided them like this in the first place, but that can still probably be smoothed over. Killing someone can't be.

Sae Young wouldn't be waving happily if they actually thought he was doing something bad.

Show
    Yeah, my guess is that while the blob was defending him, confusing him wouldn't have helped because the blob would have blocked the attack.

(As for how Jee-Han tanked it, it's just his massive HP and Gamer's Body. Blob-guy thought that a stab in the gut would incapacitate him, just like it would any ordinary person; he didn't know Jee-Han would be able to keep fighting at 100% effectiveness until he runs out of HP.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2016-02-11 at 06:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1088

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    (As for how Jee-Han tanked it, it's just his massive HP and Gamer's Body. Blob-guy thought that a stab in the gut would incapacitate him, just like it would any ordinary person; he didn't know Jee-Han would be able to keep fighting at 100% effectiveness until he runs out of HP.)
    Being the only person in the world who runs on Critical Existence Failure rules is an incredibly unfair advantage.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

9. - Top - End - #1089

The Abyss people really need to learn more about how games work before trying to take on a guy named The Gamer.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe he should clarify by calling himself the RPG gamer. People who only play plattformers might expect him to die if he ever touches anything dangerous. Speaking of other genres, instead of flying he should have learned double jumps he can endlessly chain in the air, much more fitting for a gamer! (And would looks wonderfully awkward.)

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think there may have been more to it than that. There was a show of Jee-Han putting on his rings beforehand and other magical items and some of the artwork seemed to draw attention to the rings. One of the rings allowed him to cast (I think) a paralyzing poison. I think the Fools Act might have kept "Honsaedorae" from casting, but I think the poison may have been necessary to completely freeze him in place.

And the other ring would have made him a bit more tanky. And he has his heals.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-02-13 at 04:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1092

Suddenly, plot!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

I really hope Jee-Han actually ends up with some sort of "Guild" functionality.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #1094

It might be kind of funny (and very useful) if all of Chunbumoon suddenly gets guild chat because of Jee-Han joining.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

It might be kind of funny (and very useful) if all of Chunbumoon suddenly gets guild chat because of Jee-Han joining.
    ..Oh man.

Considering what happens when people join his party... what happens when people are in the same guild as him?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm kind of hoping he's get a new title(remember those :( ), and suddenly gets a bonus to using all of the Chun-Bu Moon techniques just by joining.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    ..Oh man.

Considering what happens when people join his party... what happens when people are in the same guild as him?
    Those poor souls... Totally unprepared for the drama-fount that is gchat.
    Truth resists simplicity.

18. - Top - End - #1098

I think Guild Chat is just going to be a one-off joke. While it'll be pretty funny to see chat windows pop up, it ultimately isn't something that can't be accomplished with a simple cell phone.

However, what if they all obtained a Guild Bank?

Also, not sure if the Author will actually address this, but right now the Abyss only knows some bare-bones information about him. If he does join the Chunbuumoon and everyone ends up getting a UI, though, it would be easy for a random rank-and-file disciple (or some third cousin of the second uncle of a branch family) to sell this information to the abyss auction. The named characters in the guild are reasonably trustworthy, sure, but not all of the guild will be.

If people discover that he actually operates entirely like a RPG character, they might start throwing spoons at him for a OHKO.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    I think Guild Chat is just going to be a one-off joke. While it'll be pretty funny to see chat windows pop up, it ultimately isn't something that can't be accomplished with a simple cell phone.
    Not quite the same. Cell phones can be easily disrupted, faked or intercepted. Guild Chat would essentially be the ultimate form of secure chat, which I imagine would be pretty valuable.

20. - Top - End - #1100

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    Not quite the same. Cell phones can be easily disrupted, faked or intercepted. Guild Chat would essentially be the ultimate form of secure chat, which I imagine would be pretty valuable.
    It could be true, though the security of his gamer ability is currently untested. Still, even if it's a more secure feature, I imagine that it won't be very game-breaking for the guild, since they likely already have some means of communication and thus would be used to it.

Also, new manga chapter. Much politics. Don't think we can discuss that part on the forums due to being real-life.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2016-02-25 at 02:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

He joins the guild aaaand

Spoiler
    Show
    Sad Trombone

Otherwise, yay plot dump.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm wondering how Lolikiano will react, assuming she hasn't just disappeared from the story. Granted this time Jee-Han has an excuse for not discussing his decision with her first, but it's so much like him to not think of the ramifications. Would she still be able to instruct him? Would she still want to or feel obligated to do it? Would she continue to live at his house while he lives at Chunbumoon's compound? Would she think it was a good idea overall?

Jee-Han wouldn't think to call his parents, either. Granted, Jee-Han might not know how to explain things to them, but I think people already in Chunbumoon could help with that. IIRC, somebody in Chunbumoon already arranged something with Jee-Han's mother at least once before.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-02-25 at 04:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or has the quality of translation suddenly gone way down over the past couple weeks?

It feels like suddenly there are is an awful lot of poor grammar and word salad speech bubbles.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Banned

I haven't really noticed a drop. The translation has always been a little weak on the dialogue heavy chapters, but I think that's to be expected.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I didn't notice anything unusual, either.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    Also, new manga chapter. Much politics. Don't think we can discuss that part on the forums due to being real-life.
    It's interesting what isn't discussed, though. Lots of discussion of Korea's relationship with Japan, absolutely no discussion (not even a slight reference) to the division of Korea or to what the existence of North Korea means in the Abyss.

I can sort of understand, but it's still weird. You'd expect that to be a much bigger deal, historically.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ettin in the Playground

It's interesting what isn't discussed, though. Lots of discussion of Korea's relationship with Japan, absolutely no discussion (not even a slight reference) to the division of Korea or to what the existence of North Korea means in the Abyss.

I can sort of understand, but it's still weird. You'd expect that to be a much bigger deal, historically.
    Not really. We've already got explicit info that going too public with Abyss powers gets you JUDGEMENT BOLT FROM THE SKY.

So presumably anybody that interferes too heavily with non-Abyss politics gets blasted.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but (as we saw in this most recent update) that only works one way. The muggle world is protected from Abyss politics; the Abyss isn't protected from muggle politics (hence, the organization that destroyed the Japanese Abyss for 'muggle-political' reasons, or the whole idea that Chuubomoon exists to defend Korea within the Abyss.)

So if eg. North Korea has a bunch of people in the Abyss, that would have dramatic implications for how they relate to people in the South Korean Abyss. And it feels odd that, while discussing the recent muggle political situation in the region and how it relates to the Abyss, the story doesn't even acknowledge that North Korea is a thing, let alone discuss the impact it has in the Abyss.

29. - Top - End - #1109

You know his gamer mind doesn't go far enough with just making him emotionally distant. It should give him the other properties of the mind of a gamer. Like going in houses and looting every container. Or completely disregarding main quests/important things for side quests and grinding.

Anyway do you think he will ever use his crafting ability? It has a good chance of being OP.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    You know his gamer mind doesn't go far enough with just making him emotionally distant. It should give him the other properties of the mind of a gamer. Like going in houses and looting every container. Or completely disregarding main quests/important things for side quests and grinding.

Anyway do you think he will ever use his crafting ability? It has a good chance of being OP.
    Maybe? Eventually? Who knows, writer seems to be kind of all over the place in what directions he wants the powers to go.

Anyone else getting some kind of plot whiplash? Feels a bit like he's running all over the place, tying up random loose ends for no reason.