Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

confused Why was Sabine whispering?

Was she just trying not to talk over the archfiends? Being quiet because she just made a big ruckus with the couch and HDTV? Is being this upset over a mortal considered shameful for a fiend? Does helping V somehow violate her orders?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Why was Sabine whispering?

I'm betting the archfiends (who are still her bosses) didn't give her permission to swing this particular fight. V's not supposed to benefit from these trips Down Under.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Does helping V somehow violate her orders?
    Whether or not it explicitly violates her orders, I think she's smart enough to know that her being sufficiently emotionally invested in what the IFCC considers a used-up pawn that she's now trying to help the Order triumph over the Laurinear Guild is something her bosses should not know.

And, correspondingly, I think Vaarsuvius' evasive answer in the current strip is explicitly chosen for not getting Sabine in trouble with anyone who might be scrying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    And, correspondingly, I think Vaarsuvius' evasive answer in the current strip is explicitly chosen for not getting Sabine in trouble with anyone who might be scrying.
    Also, nobody in the Order would particularly want to hear "I got it from Sabine" or "I was trapped in hell and a demon told me".
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sabine might be thinking that she wants access to V in the future, the next time V is pulled down. If her bosses found out she was giving away free info, regardless of whether they agree, they'd probably prevent her from having contact with V.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Also, V would be particularly reticent in front of two random people he's only just met. He might be willing to tell the full story to, say, Roy or Haley, but he definitely seems to prefer discretion in handing out info.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2013-12-20 at 03:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Was it explicitly against her orders? I don't know, maybe she doesn't either. It must have been better to not risk having the archfiends stop it. She was helping V for her reasons, after all, not theirs. They also seemed to have a policy of not giving V information, so if they heard and didn't stop it, they'd be tipping their hands a bit. They already saw how Qarr gave stuff away when he tried to fool V. Maybe it's an elaborate plot to make V think s/he can trust Sabine. Doubtful, though.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I assumed that she was whispering because what she was doing was against the Archfiends' goals. They don't want the Order to trounce Tarquin and co. They want to prolong the conflict for as long as possible now that Nale and Z are dead. Without the Linear Guild, there's not really anyone out there who can keep the Order busy with unnecessary conflict.

She's keeping all this a secret because her actions are fueled by personal emotions, rather than calculated professionalism.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Also, nobody in the Order would particularly want to hear "I got it from Sabine" or "I was trapped in hell and a demon told me".
    That would be as bad as accepting help from a vampire.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Admittedly, theres a slight difference between accepting help from something at least marginally sharing your mentality and goals, and someone that's been showing you active antagonism.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #11

And who has actually attacked you.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    And who has actually attacked you.
    Which would be enough reason for the IFCC to "allow" Sabine to "surreptitiously" help hir rather then doing it directly. Not that Sabine doesn't have her own reasons for doing so, but better for everyone if V feels they're unaware.

After all, they still have another twenty minutes (plus three) on the clock; getting hir killed now in a caster fight blows whatever their ultimate plan is.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

13. - Top - End - #13

She was whispering because it looked cool on-panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm seeing Sabine having to make a terrible choice in the future. Sure, the LG as we know it is probably as dead as a doorNale, but the IFCC is still interested in the Gates, and Sabine is their agent with the most working knowledge of the subject.

So what happens when Sabine has orders to (possibly) stop our heroes, but they're in the middle of a fight with Tarquin, who of course survived the next couple of strips and followed his son out into the frozen Northlands?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Oh, I don't know... The Order know how Sabine felt about Nale, after all. And I suspect that V will be telling Roy (at least) what is going on with the IFCC as it has already cost one gate.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2013-12-20 at 09:32 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Oh, I don't know... The Order know how Sabine felt about Nale, after all. And I suspect that V will be telling Roy (at least) what is going on with the IFCC as it has already cost one gate.
    Yeah, I know V said "It is never the time! I'm telling you now so it is done!", but I do hope they really sit down with Roy and let him know. Even if she leaves out Familicide, he has to know about their other-other-other(-other^N?) enemies.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The IFCC don't want a clear victory for any side. They want destructive unnecessary conflict.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2013-12-21 at 11:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I thought it was more of a mutter, myself.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure what Sabine was doing was on her own initiative, and Evil bosses don't particularly like employees with too much initiative.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't really see the IFCC caring about TT at all though, at least not after Girard's gate was destroyed.

They have some plan in mind for the gates, with the net result being them invading the upper planes. It gains them nothing to have the Order fighting TT - the fiends need the Order to get to the final gate post-haste to stop Xykon winning. The IFCC really only wanted the conflict to prod both Xykon and the Order into immediate, gate-seeking action.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sabine was supposed to betray the Linear Guild if her masters deemed it necessary. Caring that much when Nale dies calls her loyalty into question.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, but having just been given a dressing down for being too committed to team Nale, she doesn't want to risk her bosses stopping her from giving information to V. Better safe than revengeless
    "Hope is the biggest and best lie there is. You have to keep going as if it all mattered, or else we wouldn\'t keep going at all"

thog fears he will never again know the majesty of the gumdrop mountains

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateGirl

I agree with several of the other posters, the IFCC wants nothing but destructive, unnecessary conflict. If Sabine's advice ends up utterly crushing Tarquin's side and removes them from the conflict entirely, it's not something that is going to please them.
    Last edited by BeerMug Paladin; 2013-12-21 at 06:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Also, because Vaarsuvius has shown that she does not wish to disclose to anyone any information whatsoever related to her soul-splice journey and the consequences thereof unless absolutely necessary (I just noticed that Grey Watcher said something along the same line of thought).

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    She was whispering because it looked cool on-panel.
    Whispering is cool? *whisper* This is now an officially cool post *whisper*.
    Last edited by Menas; 2013-12-21 at 06:40 AM.
    Erfworld is having another Kickstarter to print the next book!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nd-draw-book-3

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I still don't think that unneccessary conflict in the short term jibes with their "murder everything" plan in the long term. Let's say that they prevented Sabine from helping V, and that resulted in V getting squashed by Laurin in their fight.

Boom, bang goes their plan...as one of them put it "If the elf gets killed here this whole thing was a huge waste of time." I just can't see them rocking their own boat on this one just for the sake of unneccessary conflict.

Again, what do the fiends gain by helping TT other than either killing their own pawn or making it more likely for said pawn to get killed before said piece is in position later? Their best interest is served by having a full power Order at the final battle in order to make a good fight with Xykon, to provide the best opportunity for the last second backstab.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    More than that, people would wonder what circumstances lead to meeting Sabine in the Hells. Details V would trust very few people with.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

26. - Top - End - #26

BlueKnightGuy

Whether or not it explicitly violates her orders, I think she's smart enough to know that her being sufficiently emotionally invested in what the IFCC considers a used-up pawn that she's now trying to help the Order triumph over the Laurinear Guild is something her bosses should not know.
    I think it might have something more to do with the IFCC being particularly interested in Tarquin or his group. Consider: indications are that Sabine was originally sent on some sort of mission -- since she's now in thick with Sabine and Team Tarquin, most like it was for some reason that had nothing to do with the Gates, since the IFCC (or Sabine at the very least) apparently didn't know about the Gates.

At this point, the IFCC should be able to guess that Sabine's emotionally invested. They've probably been keeping tabs on her, plus she just busted their plama-screen TV when Nale died.
    What shall we do to fill the empty spaces
    Where waves of hunger gnaw?

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

Another two factors: there's a good possibility that very little of what they've told V can be trusted; all we know for certain is from their celebration that they wanted the gate destroyed. Second, the part about fighting L. may not be everything she told V; so while this part may not have got her into trouble something else may have.

An while committed to telling Roy and her team about where she's been there's no reason she'd go into details for essentially a random NPC on the ship.

28. - Top - End - #28

That's very clever... I was so enrapt with the humor I didn't even think of that. Would that imply that V and Sabine's relationship approaches something like allies? Or was it merely convenient for Sabine to screw with Team Tarquin at that juncture by any available means?
    Last edited by Lexible; 2013-12-21 at 12:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    That's very clever... I was so enrapt with the humor I didn't even think of that. Would that imply that V and Sabine's relationship approaches something like allies? Or was it merely convenient for Sabine to screw with Team Tarquin at that juncture by any available means?
    I'd call it returning a favor, rather than allies. Sabine helped V, so V felt that (s)he should take a reasonable step to protect Sabine.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

I think Vaarsuvius may well be as close to an ally as Sabine has now, considering her bosses just discarded her apparently-genuinely-cared-about boyfriend.

That doesn't necessarily mean s/he's terribly close to one; Sabine still appears to lack even the capability to value life other than Nale's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.