New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default What obscure (most likely homebrew) system are these?

I remember reading somewhere, might be in a blog or a site, about a police show rpg, based on cheesy police movies or police procedural shows.

The main point is that the acts in those shows are inherent in the system.

I don't remember the details, but it's how in police shows you got the protagonists failing at first from arresting the wrong suspects, or too late to prevent a heist. Then at the end of the show they do crazy stunts like jumping a speedboat over a pier. Those are considered in the system.

It's a long chance, but anyone know what system/where did I read this system?

Another obscure most-likely-homebrew that I read was a mystery investigation system, I think it's supposed to be supernatural? I don't remember. But the point is that the players collect clues thorough the game, and they make their own conclusion from the scattered clues.

Anyone can help me?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What obscure (most likely homebrew) system are these?

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Another obscure most-likely-homebrew that I read was a mystery investigation system, I think it's supposed to be supernatural? I don't remember. But the point is that the players collect clues thorough the game, and they make their own conclusion from the scattered clues.
    This one sounds like one of the GUMSHOE games, probably The Esoterrorists.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    This one sounds like one of the GUMSHOE games, probably The Esoterrorists.
    GUMSHOE has pretty distinct mechanics: you spend points from Investigative Skills to get more out of clues, etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know about the first, but the second is almost certainly a GUMSHOE game, either Esoterrorists or Trail of Cthulhu. (Possibly Fear Itself, actually, but that's less likely. Other games with the same engine are Mutant City Blues and Night's Black Agents. MCB is "noir detective stories with superpowers" and NBA is "superspies vs. vampire conspiracies".)
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm there was also "Gangbusters" by TSR....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The first one sounds a bit like a game that was in development by Hogshead under James Wallis, but never released commercially. He has run it, though, at conventions, and I think he posted some playtest examples on his blog (I think if you search for Spaaace you will find it).

It was called "Get your trousers on, you're nicked!"

The samples he posted were about a trio of detectives on the Norfolk Broads with a high powered speedboat called Blockbuster.

-edit- Slightly misremembered, the play example is on Critical Miss, http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue11/BlockBuster.html

The game is referred to as Cop Show, but in development it was called Get your trousers etc.
    Last edited by JustIgnoreMe; 2013-11-30 at 03:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, thanks guys. You guys are amazing. the first game is definitely Cop Show, and the second game is most likely Gumshoe.

It's amazing how I can find that first game again, realizing how it's just an unfinished game and everything.

Thanks again!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP