New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #933 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Random thought:

What if Rich is setting us up for a classic "Alliance of enemies against the greater enemy" finish and Xylon will in the end be taken down by the OotS, plus Team Tarqiun, plus O'Chul and the surviving paladins, plus the IFCC, plus Sabine & Qarr, plus Thog, plus Julio & crew, plus ...?
    I don't really see the IFCC getting in on the anti-Xykon action so directly. It's not their style, so far as we've seen.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    ...Tarquin is a sad impotent spiteful little man who has completely failed.
    Who still controls nearly 1/3 of a continent, a massive army, and 5/6ths of a powerful adventuring party. Frankly, I don't see this so much as loss as a setback. He still has more than enough power and resources to make a mess of things, and now he's got an actual reason to get out of his rut, and go chase Elan down.

The fact that the OotS has barely managed to escape, the fact that Tarquin has a whole heap of psychological issues (like pretty much every single other character in the story) does not diminish his potential threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only person on the forum who found, "In retrospect, my romantic taste when I was a teenager was really awful" familiar enough to neither need nor invite further explanations.
    Nope... but you are surely aware of the power of that second most addictive of all drugs, internet speculation?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    Who still controls nearly 1/3 of a continent, a massive army, and 5/6ths of a powerful adventuring party. Frankly, I don't see this so much as loss as a setback. He still has more than enough power and resources to make a mess of things, and now he's got an actual reason to get out of his rut, and go chase Elan down.

The fact that the OotS has barely managed to escape, the fact that Tarquin has a whole heap of psychological issues (like pretty much every single other character in the story) does not diminish his potential threat.
    Villainous breakdown doesn't necessarily hinge on material possession or physical power. I think, for Tarquin, his number one desire is to have control over the story. Here, things are spiraling way out of control and he can't do anything to stop it. He starts getting bratty and angry, and the whole "likable bad guy" act starts to slip. We're seeing him a little vulnerable here, I think.

Still crazy dangerous, but psychologically vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    I don't really see the IFCC getting in on the anti-Xykon action so directly. It's not their style, so far as we've seen.
    Agreed, and if you were to twist my arm into speculating about who would be in a huge final battle royale (which I don't really expect will happen anyway), I expect that it would be the IFCC vs. The World. They're the ones pulling all the strings. They're the team that hasn't been worried - truly worried - about their prospects for victory across the entire story. I fully expect some sort of substantial confrontation with them, even after the defeat of Xykon.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2013-11-29 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added response

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    A minor side point here, but based on dialogue so far it seems as if Laurin had not met Julio in person before, and is unaware of Julio's prior history with Tarquin.

And that means that Laurin likely has not been in attendance for any of Tarquin's disrupted weddings.

Interesting implications on the nature of their relationship.
    All it means is that Laurin deliberately keeps a low profile. She has a daughter who's a plumber, and she thinks Laurin is an interior decorator. You can't keep up that image if you go to all the general's weddings.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes! I loved this strip. Tarquin fails (again) (a fact that would have Nale laughing his head off if he were watching), and the Order as well as the wise old mentor who was supposed to die, all escape and get away alive.

Or get away undead, in Durkon's case.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Okay, so how do they keep Laurin from portaling to the deck of the mechane?
    I'd do it by having a vampire on board that Laurin is specifically avoiding getting close to.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    Wait, doesn't it? I thought Tarquin was the hero of this story.
    No, of course not. I'm just glad we've finally finished the side-story of the subordinate heroes, now that the real hero of the story has flown in to save them.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Random thought:

What if Rich is setting us up for a classic "Alliance of enemies against the greater enemy" finish and Xylon will in the end be taken down by the OotS, plus Team Tarqiun, plus O'Chul and the surviving paladins, plus the IFCC, plus Sabine & Qarr, plus Thog, plus Julio & crew, plus ...?
    The MitD will be the one to end up killing Xykon. That's been telegraphed for ages now.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Welp, it LOOKS like they got away. (Although a ranged stun might make him drop to the ground, THE HORROR.) Or in theory they could wormhole up to the Mechane and have some sky swashbuckling. But really, I think after all that manifesting Laurin is probably low on power points, and perhaps even more importantly, patience for Taurquin's antics and dead-end quests.

It would also be hilarious if Miron popped in and was like "Ok, I'm all healed up and ready to fight some more! Oh they're gone and the fight's over? Well too bad favor used up anyway."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Renobarb View Post
    The MitD will be the one to end up killing Xykon. That's been telegraphed for ages now.
    Great googly moogly, I hope you're wrong. MitD as something that takes out a huge army or lower boss, to give the OOTS a fair shot at Xykon? Fine. Actually taking him out? Nopenopenopenopenope.

Of course this is not my story, but even more importantly, it's putting the cart so far ahead of the horse, the cart only just arrived from Ikea and I misplaced my allen wrench.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

That's more specific than I would care to be. I do suspect that he will do something that will spoil Xykon's plans and/or leave him vulnerable, but I still think the OotS will actually defeat Xykon.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Spoomeister View Post
    Great googly moogly, I hope you're wrong. MitD as something that takes out a huge army or lower boss, to give the OOTS a fair shot at Xykon? Fine. Actually taking him out? Nopenopenopenopenope.

Of course this is not my story, but even more importantly, it's putting the cart so far ahead of the horse, the cart only just arrived from Ikea and I misplaced my allen wrench.
    Nah, I have the MiTD penned in to destroy the phylactery.

I hope the next page is the splash page. This feels like a decent end to the book.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Ha! That was great! Perfect way to end this fight.
    Unless, you know, Laurin...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spoomeister View Post

It's also making the assumption that this story is coming down to a straight fight. I think we can safely assume that this isn't going to just be a videogame end boss that they have to line up and take turns hitting. There may never be a point where Xykon is fighting anyone for the rest of the strip.

15. - Top - End - #195

PirateGuy

I don't think so...
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    I think we're looking more at the MitD eating Redcloak, more than anything. Xykon's spell certainly seemed to work, and either the MitD is going to decide eating Wrong-Eye is against his nature and get a new save, or think that eating Redcloak is going to help O-Chul and go along with the compulsion.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, finally Durkon will regain his spells and cure Roy. I couldn't stand see all that wounds anymore, the poor guy is damn hurt.

Belkar is deserving some cure (and restoration) too. His character progressed a lot since they arrived in the Canyon and I really don't want him dead.

Everything indicates that this story arc will end with the Team Evil. Maybe the theories about the MitD's father being at Kraagor's dungeon are true? Can't wait to see it!
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yes, that the MitD will switch sides because Xylon knows what MitD is, but not who he is, seems likely.

But first all hope must be lost - Elan is cradling Tarquin's lifeless body, Roy's sword is broken, Laurin is out of Power Points, V has been defeated by Redcloak, hobgoblin hordes are sweeping over the battlefield, Haley is firing arrows that have no effect, Belkar is finally (heroically) dead, Durkon got turned by lich power and is on the wrong side, the Mechane has crashed in flames, and everybody is posting prophecies of doom and gloom on these forums.

O Chul, of course, is still on his feat battling Xylon because O Chul is still on his feet battling Xylon. And that's what brings the MitD in on the side of good.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Re: Laurin not attending Tarquin's weddings - it's also entirely possible that even if Laurin and Tarquin did partner at some point (no guarantee, it's not clear how often they switch partners), Laurin found the whole "marrying a woman against her will" thing distasteful and declined. Or possibly the only wedding(s) while Laurin was there were ones where the bride was willing, since we know that some of them were, and Julio didn't crash those.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Skorn View Post
    Can Tarquin just please die?
    Well, his partner and son already did.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adaon Nightwind View Post
    That is what i call Teamwork. Thinking about others, working together, trusting each other to look out for one's back.
    What a beautifull counterpoint to Team Tarquin.
    Brilliant.
    It's a beautiful move, agreed. Also, the combination of Roy's considerate willpower and Elan's inspiring pluck (in addition to the other teammates) is all the more colorful compared to the somber hardness of Tarquin's party.

But to be fair, Tarquin and his allies are capable of compassion, assistance, and trust. Miron and Jacinda plugged the leak, just as Tarquin trusted they would. (That's not to mention all the ad-libbing each separate pair has had to do to steer their territories.) Miron would've stuck around to finish the fight if he'd been able, and Laurin looked out for Tarquin's success, even if Tarquin didn't listen to her. And despite their arguments and regardless of any alignments, both Tarquin and Laurin have shown some emotions for Malack.

They're capable of those acts and feelings... but it's a combination of friendship and "business" as opposed to the Order's friendship and loyalty, no matter how much of their foundation seems to be gone. Because the other Empire handlers are half-reliant on business to act, it makes them that much slower to accept a distinct risk without distinct benefit. And when that business plan is authored by Tarquin... well, we've all seen how obsessive he can get when he thinks something or someone's not measuring up to his plan.

The Order vs. the Imperial Army -- both vivid teams, and I hope we see more of them all in future chapters. Just, you know, not until after the Order catches their breath.
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

21. - Top - End - #201

End of book 5 is coming.... And Belkar lived through it.
    Last edited by Vinsfeld; 2013-11-29 at 11:11 PM.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

How the book should end:

Tarquin urges Laurin to pursue the Mechane. Bandana makes a slight course correction, causing Laurin's Wormhole to be off. Tarquin's cape gets stuck in one of the propellers.

THE END
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-11-29 at 11:17 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

To be perfectly fair to Tarquy, it looks like the bolt was aimed at him and if it did hit it would've been the icing on the cake.

I think a light ballista only does like, 2d8 damage anyway.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2013-11-29 at 11:35 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsfeld View Post
    End of book 5 is coming.... And Belkar lived through it.
    You know, if I was particularly distressed by the prospect of Belkar dying, the last thing I would do would be refer to his having survived the entire almost-but-not-completely-over book in the past tense.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

1) Julio, the Dashing Swordsman, charmed and disarmed by a (former) fan! But Laurin did a little talking for Durkon too before attacking him.

2) I wonder how Julioteers express their fanhood - perhaps a young Laurin would sport the same hairstyle and run around with a sword...

3) Half-panel - watch this space!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Is this the first time we've seen Tarquin ? Usually he's just or expressionless when dodging attacks.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    Ha! That was great! Perfect way to end this fight.
    Unless, you know, Laurin...
    That's the one loose thread that's still bothering me. Laurin said she has a favor in mind that Tarquin could do for her by the day's end, but that hasn't been resolved yet. What if she uses this moment, where T is alone and (comparatively) weakened, to kill him?
    Isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is the one trick--rational thinking-- but when you're good and crazy, the sky is the limit!
    -The Tick

Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes when you fall, you fly.
    -Niel Gaiman

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    How the book should end:

Tarquin urges Laurin to pursue the Mechane. Bandana makes a slight course correction, causing Laurin's Wormhole to be off. Tarquin's cape gets stuck in one of the propellers.

THE END
    No capes!

:tarquin: I think I should be the one to decide--

Do you remember Malack? A polite lizardfolk, cleric powers, fond of children. Comic #906! All was well, another tight spot for the heroes, when suddenly his cape snagged on a vindictive fellow villain!

:tarquin: Nale was not the brightest bulb--

An unassuming goblin, Start of Darkness! His cape sucked him into a torturous plotline!

:tarquin: Son, you can't keep generalizing with the capes--

Vaarsuvius, neither agile nor subtle! Xykon, presenting a big red target! Me, before I gave up that obsolete look! No capes!
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

29. - Top - End - #209

Oots updates every day I shower-
    Last edited by NihhusHuotAliro; 2013-11-29 at 11:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Julio is ridiculously cool. Loved the barb at Tarquin about his self centeredness!
    My GitP Homebrew Signature
    My homebrew posts need fixing due to the board update. I've done rewrites of half but going to finish the rest before posting.
    My Homebrew System progress blog
    In which I post ocassional updates about the sci-fi tabletop system I've worked on since March 2013