Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread IV

The ever-popular thread continues in its fourth incarnation. Previous versions can of course be found here, here and most recently here.

For the newcomers (and some regulars who should know by now):

Basic Rules

• We'll be going with canonical information wherever possible, wherein this refers to all sources from 3.5 and prior. 4E and beyond are irrelevant to me where this thread is concerned.

• I'll conjecture on demand and supply tidbits from my own extensive work on the Planes where relevant, but these will always be pointed out.

• 99% of the time, I'm not interested in breaking down sources. That requires actual digging about more often than not, and it's a very big library that I'm drawing from. If you really feel the need to contest something, try to be nice about it; I don't like having to plunge into the boxes to find the right book or magazine unless I'm not sure of something.

• I assume all or nearly all published settings to be connected in the same multiverse; this means both Spelljammer and Planescape, as well as worlds that try to remain separate such as Athas and Eberron, are all part of the same ball of wax as far as I'm concerned. Mystara is also considered included, and its cosmological uniqueness is interpreted through the lens of the Great Wheel.

Core Concepts

• The planes as will be most commonly acknowledged in this thread include: the Material Plane; the Ethereal, Astral and Shadow Planes; the Positive and Negative Energy Planes; the Elemental Planes of Air, Earth, Fire and Water; the Para-Elemental Planes of Ice, Magma, Ooze and Smoke; the Quasi-Elemental Planes of Ash, Dust, Lightning, Minerals, Radiance, Salt, Steam and Vacuum; the seventeen major Outer Planes; and the Far Realm. Other planes that may be mentioned with some degree of frequency but lie within the realm of speculation are the Ordial Plane, the Planes of Cordance, the Semi-Elemental Planes, the Near Realm, the Vast Medium and any of those not already named that are located in the 3.X Manual of the Planes, as well as demiplanes.

• The term exemplar or exemplar race may be used a great deal in this thread. These terms refer to the major entities of pure alignment that reside on the Outer Planes: archons, guardinals, eladrins, slaad, tanar'ri, yugoloths, baatezu, modrons and rilmani.

• When discussing worlds of the Material Plane, I often turn to referencing their spatial location on a star chart made for Spelljammer. As there is no official chart to consult, I work off of an extensively detailed and thoroughly researched fanmade chart by Nerik (warning: huge). This chart represents the Arcane Inner Flow quadrant of the primary "galaxy" of Spelljammer. This "galaxy" is known as arcane space after the beings that ruthlessly control its spelljamming helm supply and the secret of the lanes that connect the heart of the region to its border, known as the Arcane Outer Flow or AOF. If I note something as being on or near to the AOF, it represents a significant distance from the center of arcane space and from the most well-known worlds in this quadrant (Oerth, Krynn and Toril).
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-11-30 at 03:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread IV

Do the Rilmani have any cities of their own, or other power centers?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

What are Rilmani battle tactics like?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In danger of repeating myself and even being annoying:

Any info on or about any inter planar crime or criminal organizations? (canon or your brew)

Something like a plane traveling Thieves Guild.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, i have asked before, but you postponed the answer - so i just wanted to try my luck again.

Also, in to subscribe!
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Mystara is also considered included, and its cosmological uniqueness is interpreted through the lens of the Great Wheel.
    So, I'm wondering. I don't know Mystara myself, but what you said about it's cosmologies in the other threads sounds very different from the Wheel, much more so than Eberron or Dragonlance. How do you even begin to bring them together?
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Could Atropus be the former overpower of Ouiyan?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-11-30 at 03:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I'm wondering. I don't know Mystara myself,
    Can't answer the question, but I can provide the Mystara website if you want to learn about things like the cosmology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    they punch themselves for everytime they punch the enemy obviously, balance!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I figured someone might have anti-magic shackles? And someone with...exotic tastes might want Good Outsider slaves.
    Said shackles would have to be factored in as an expense against the sale price of the slave. Dealing in good outsiders is a good way to invite reprisals from the Upper Planes, so it's kind of a niche industry and the existing suppliers might not be happy to have an upstart in their ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    How might a Half-Cerebrilith or Half-Shadow Eft differ from 'standard' half-fiends, mechanically and/or in terms of appearance? What about unholy scions of either lineage? Could there be any distinction carried so far as tieflings?
    I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    This is intriguing to me. Is it just happenstance that the base is in the Gates of the Moon?
    The realm is a favorite of the lillendi, the guardians of the Staircase, and it's on Ysgard, so it makes sense for them. The connection only exists on the full moon.

I presume that Selune wasn't the one who created it
    Definitely not.

so did she just decide to make her divine realm at the base of it?
    More likely.

Or did it just "appear" one day because her portfolio was associated with it or something similar?
    Also possible.

And if the Staircase has a confirmed base, does it also have a confirmed apex?
    It does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Do the Rilmani have any cities of their own, or other power centers?
    Very few settlements exist; the only real "city" is the rilmani "capital," Sum of All, whose population at last count numbered a whopping 10,000.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'll get back to you.
    I'll be patient then. Thank you for at least acknowledging.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the Rilmani, if there are so few, then how come the other planar beings are so numerous?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

12. - Top - End - #12

In Planescape at least, all the planar city other than Sigil had pretty small stated populations.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

13. - Top - End - #13

Dealing in good outsiders is a good way to invite reprisals from the Upper Planes, so it's kind of a niche industry and the existing suppliers might not be happy to have an upstart in their ranks.
    Would such suppliers typically be fiends? Where are good outsider slave markets usually held?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Please give examples of how Eladrin and Tanar'ri each talk.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-12-01 at 01:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Yes, finally caught up on 35 pages!

With all the mentions of gods and the acquisition and loss of domains, I've been pondering the following.

If an entity was on the road to godhood because (s)he had amassed such a devout and religious following, could that entity resist becoming a power? If so, I expect it would be ridiculously difficult as it's one's will against the multiverse.
    Last edited by Xervous; 2013-12-01 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Systematic grammar correction
    Quote Originally Posted by An Unfortunate Player
    Obviously he died to a brain eating bird. No, not a rapier or crossbow bolt. Birds, brains, yeah.
    And so their arrival was foretold

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Can the Mists of Ravenloft touch upon Athas or Eberron?

Are there any other decent examples of cosmologically isolated or partially closed off spheres/cosmologies/settings other than Eberron and Athas? If not, are there footnote or one-two sentence examples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Can the Mists of Ravenloft touch upon Athas?
    The Realm of Kalidnay was pulled from Athas by the Mists after the local Sorcerer King did something particularly reprehensible.
    Awesome Rob Roy Avatar by Pink Haired August!
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Alright. I have officially found a reason to run around, screaming "The end is near here!", with only a loincloth and a crudely painted sign as my possessions.
    Mind=asplode from the awesome of that image.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

How might a Half-Cerebrilith or Half-Shadow Eft differ from 'standard' half-fiends, mechanically and/or in terms of appearance? What about unholy scions of either lineage? Could there be any distinction carried so far as tieflings?
    Shadow efts are not fiends. The half-fiend template is inappropriate for creatures descending from them, assuming any exist. Such creatures would instead use the darkToM or shadowLoM templates. Their descendants in turn would not be tieflings per se, but some form of shadow planetouched.

As for half-cerebriliths:

Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Cerebrilith
    Tremendously rare even among the already small number of half-fiends, half-cerebriliths are alienated moreso than most others of their kind due to the psionic turbulence they generate even while disguised. Monstrous in countenance, half-cerebriliths are massive, bony creatures with visibly protruding overgrown skeletons. Most are completely hairless (more reptilian ones lack scales) and have great difficulty turning their heads due to the deformed and bulky fusion of spine and skull that defines the half-cerebrilith's look. Some may hunch over due to this cranial fusion, while others have a normally-angled head that is merely locked in place by the ridged bulb that extends down the back. In any event, the half-cerebrilith always has a large, distended lower jaw.

Half-cerebriliths tend to have violent personality shifts, going from contemplative and reserved to vicious and aggressive seemingly at random. They are characterized by a dreadful cunning.

Creating A Half-Cerebrilith
    "Half-cerebrilith" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-cerebrilith uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
    The creature’s type changes to outsider and it gains the psionic subtype. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Creatures of Small or lower size grow one size category larger, with all the benefits and penalties so associated. Half-cerebriliths are normally native outsiders.

Speed
    Same as base creature.

Armor Class
    Natural armor improves by +3 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Attack
    A half-cerebrilith has two claw attacks and a bite attack, and the bite is the primary natural weapon. If the base creature can use weapons, the half-fiend retains this ability. A half-fiend fighting without weapons uses a bite when making an attack action. When it has a weapon, it usually uses the weapon instead.

Full Attack
    A half-cerebrilith fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack and its bite as a natural secondary attack.

Damage
    Half-cerebriliths have bite and claw attacks. If the base creature does not have these attack forms, use the damage values in the table. Otherwise, use the values in the table or the base creature’s damage values, whichever are greater.

{table=head]Size|Bite Damage|Claw Damage
    Fine|1|—
    Diminutive|1d2|1
    Tiny|1d3|1d2
    Small|1d4|1d3
    Medium|1d6|1d4
    Large|1d8|1d6
    Huge|2d6|1d8
    Gargantuan|3d6|2d6
    Colossal|4d6|3d6[/table]

Special Attacks
    A half-cerebrilith retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special attack.

Smite Good (Su)
    Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Psi-Like and Spell-Like Abilities
    A half-cerebrilith with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has psi-like and spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level or manifester level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

{table=head]HD|Abilities
    1-2|Brain lock, ego whip, id insinuation
    3-4|Desecrate
    5-6|Unholy blight
    7-8|Mind trap 3/day
    9-10|Mind probe
    11-12|Blasphemy
    13-14|Unholy aura 3/day, unhallow
    15-16|Psionic dominate 2/day
    17-18|Summon monster IX (fiends only)
    19-20|Destruction[/table]

Special Qualities
    A half-cerebrilith has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to poison.
    • Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
    • Damage reduction: 5/good (if HD 11 or less) or 10/good (if HD 12 or more).
    • A half-fiend’s natural weapons are treated as good weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    • Power resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).

Abilities
    Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

Skills
    A half-cerebrilith gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD + 3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-cerebrilith gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills as well as Knowledge (psionics) and Psicraft, and other skills as cross-class.

Challenge Rating
    HD 4 or less, as base creature +1; HD 5 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.

Alignment
    Always chaotic evil.

Level Adjustment
    +4.

A tiefling descended from a cerebrilith would likely exhibit traces of that ancestry and have a predilection toward psionics.

Unholy scions don't tend to exhibit visual cues to their nature, but various psionic manifestations would likely appear and it would almost certainly exhibit certain psi-like abilities in place of some of the usual spell-like abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    They vary by caste. Ferrumachs are very straightforward in their soldiery, whereas cuprilachs favor assassination tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I'm wondering. I don't know Mystara myself, but what you said about it's cosmologies in the other threads sounds very different from the Wheel, much more so than Eberron or Dragonlance. How do you even begin to bring them together?
    Well, for starters, I use what WotC gave me. We know that some creatures from the Immortals Rules exist in the context of the Great Wheel cosmology; similarly, we know that many Mystaran Immortals share identities with the gods of the Great Wheel. I just split the difference and say that the unusual features of the Mystaran cosmology just plain aren't; that the various immortals are gods and their Outer Planes are what we would call divine realms. Mainly it's a question of what I'm willing to sidestep to get to where I need to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    And then of course there's the alternate method I sometimes prefer, wherein BECMI and Mystara are the old multiverse and the Great Wheel is the new one. Not entirely unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Could Atropus be the former overpower of Ouiyan?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Regarding the Rilmani, if there are so few, then how come the other planar beings are so numerous?
    1) There are so few in that city. Rilmani don't build large settlements or congregate frequently. They are the most dispersed exemplar race.

2) Rilmani are the least numerous of all the exemplar races anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Would such suppliers typically be fiends? Where are good outsider slave markets usually held?
    They would be fiends or other very powerful beings of evil, and there would be little "usual" or "typical" about the matter. I would look to the major Lower Planar marketplaces for contacts who could link you to that particular trade, but bear in mind that such slaves are typically purchased for torture, not for actual application, and that the fury of the Upper Planes makes it a terrible business to be dabbling in in any fashion.

Please give examples of how Eladrin and Tanar'ri each talk.
    Explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    With all the mentions of gods and the acquisition and loss of domains, I've been pondering the following.

If an entity was on the road to godhood because (s)he had amassed such a devout and religious following, could that entity resist becoming a power? If so, I expect it would be ridiculously difficult as it's one's will against the multiverse.
    It's not impossible to hold off for a time, but only if you're alive. If you're dead, it's happening; that faith is gonna stick to you like glue. A living being could conceivably divert it away or remain grounded through contact with the Prime, or even channel it in turn to another being of power (an existing deity, perhaps), but eventually those methods will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Can the Mists of Ravenloft touch upon Athas or Eberron?
    Yes. They have hit Athas already. I suspect Merrix d'Cannith may be due for a foggy evening in his future...

Are there any other decent examples of cosmologically isolated or partially closed off spheres/cosmologies/settings other than Eberron and Athas? If not, are there footnote or one-two sentence examples?
    Krynn has always been at least partially closed. Cerilia is remote and was hedged off for a time, but is currently accessible (though distant). Mystara's cosmology is a bit tricky to navigate; it would definitely land in the "isolated" side of things.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

What might a theoretical half-Rilmani (in the vein of half-celestial etc) be like? What about Planetouched descended from such a creature? How would Rilmani society view and treat its part-breeds? Can non-Rilmani participate in Rilmani culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Explain.
    • Would Eladrin say things like "Happy rainbow peppermint kitten chocolate flower bunnies! YAY!!!"
    • Would Tanar'ri say things like "DOOM AND GLOOM! Parasite vomit murder torture! DIE, FLEAS!!!

I'm making fun of the Slaad thing, for those of you who you couldn't tell.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-12-01 at 08:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow efts are not fiends. The half-fiend template is inappropriate for creatures descending from them, assuming any exist. Such creatures would instead use the darkToM or shadowLoM templates. Their descendants in turn would not be tieflings per se, but some form of shadow planetouched.

As for half-cerebriliths:

Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Cerebrilith
    Tremendously rare even among the already small number of half-fiends, half-cerebriliths are alienated moreso than most others of their kind due to the psionic turbulence they generate even while disguised. Monstrous in countenance, half-cerebriliths are massive, bony creatures with visibly protruding overgrown skeletons. Most are completely hairless (more reptilian ones lack scales) and have great difficulty turning their heads due to the deformed and bulky fusion of spine and skull that defines the half-cerebrilith's look. Some may hunch over due to this cranial fusion, while others have a normally-angled head that is merely locked in place by the ridged bulb that extends down the back. In any event, the half-cerebrilith always has a large, distended lower jaw.

Half-cerebriliths tend to have violent personality shifts, going from contemplative and reserved to vicious and aggressive seemingly at random. They are characterized by a dreadful cunning.

Creating A Half-Cerebrilith
    "Half-cerebrilith" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-cerebrilith uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
    The creature’s type changes to outsider and it gains the psionic subtype. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Creatures of Small or lower size grow one size category larger, with all the benefits and penalties so associated. Half-cerebriliths are normally native outsiders.

Speed
    Same as base creature.

Armor Class
    Natural armor improves by +3 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Attack
    A half-cerebrilith has two claw attacks and a bite attack, and the bite is the primary natural weapon. If the base creature can use weapons, the half-fiend retains this ability. A half-fiend fighting without weapons uses a bite when making an attack action. When it has a weapon, it usually uses the weapon instead.

Full Attack
    A half-cerebrilith fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack and its bite as a natural secondary attack.

Damage
    Half-cerebriliths have bite and claw attacks. If the base creature does not have these attack forms, use the damage values in the table. Otherwise, use the values in the table or the base creature’s damage values, whichever are greater.

{table=head]Size|Bite Damage|Claw Damage
    Fine|1|—
    Diminutive|1d2|1
    Tiny|1d3|1d2
    Small|1d4|1d3
    Medium|1d6|1d4
    Large|1d8|1d6
    Huge|2d6|1d8
    Gargantuan|3d6|2d6
    Colossal|4d6|3d6[/table]

Special Attacks
    A half-cerebrilith retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special attack.

Smite Good (Su)
    Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Psi-Like and Spell-Like Abilities
    A half-cerebrilith with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has psi-like and spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level or manifester level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

{table=head]HD|Abilities
    1-2|Brain lock, ego whip, id insinuation
    3-4|Desecrate
    5-6|Unholy blight
    7-8|Mind trap 3/day
    9-10|Mind probe
    11-12|Blasphemy
    13-14|Unholy aura 3/day, unhallow
    15-16|Psionic dominate 2/day
    17-18|Summon monster IX (fiends only)
    19-20|Destruction[/table]

Special Qualities
    A half-cerebrilith has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to poison.
    • Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
    • Damage reduction: 5/good (if HD 11 or less) or 10/good (if HD 12 or more).
    • A half-fiend’s natural weapons are treated as good weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    • Power resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).

Abilities
    Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

Skills
    A half-cerebrilith gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD + 3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-cerebrilith gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills as well as Knowledge (psionics) and Psicraft, and other skills as cross-class.

Challenge Rating
    HD 4 or less, as base creature +1; HD 5 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.

Alignment
    Always chaotic evil.

Level Adjustment
    +4.

A tiefling descended from a cerebrilith would likely exhibit traces of that ancestry and have a predilection toward psionics.

Unholy scions don't tend to exhibit visual cues to their nature, but various psionic manifestations would likely appear and it would almost certainly exhibit certain psi-like abilities in place of some of the usual spell-like abilities.
    Thank you. It is certainly more of an in-depth response in some regards than I anticipated and your feed back is very helpful, though it does lead up to a follow up question.

Given that Shadow Eft are Outsider (evil, extraplanar, psionic), and
    Monster Manual, Page 308
    Evil Subtype: A subtype usually applied only to outsiders native to the evil-aligned Outer Planes. Evil outsiders are also called fiends. -Snip-
    I am left wondering how they are not fiends.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

• Would Eladrin say things like "Happy rainbow peppermint kitten chocolate flower bunnies! YAY!!!"
    • Would Tanar'ri say things like "DOOM AND GLOOM! Parasite vomit murder torture! DIE, FLEAS!!!
    My $.02

$.01. Not likely for Eladrin, they can't communicate messages of goodness that way. Speaking of said topics frequently however, that is likely a thing.

$.01 Only if it's intimidating. Definitely "DIE, FLEAS!!!" *assorted fleas die of terror*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you. It is certainly more of an in-depth response in some regards than I anticipated and your feed back is very helpful, though it does lead up to a follow up question.

Given that Shadow Eft are Outsider (evil, extraplanar, psionic), and

I am left wondering how they are not fiends.
    Fiends in the half-fiend sense come from the Lower Planes. A shadow eft shouldn't technically have that subtype, since it's from the Plane of Shadow, but merely having it doesn't make it an actual fiend; it's just referred to by that catchall term since most people don't make distinctions when staring down the barrel of eight feet of pure otherworldly terror.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

• When discussing worlds of the Material Plane, I often turn to referencing their spatial location on a star chart made for Spelljammer. As there is no official chart to consult, I work off of an extensively detailed and thoroughly researched fanmade chart by Nerik (warning: huge). This chart represents the Arcane Inner Flow quadrant of the primary "galaxy" of Spelljammer. This "galaxy" is known as arcane space after the beings that ruthlessly control its spelljamming helm supply and the secret of the lanes that connect the heart of the region to its border, known as the Arcane Outer Flow or AOF. If I note something as being on or near to the AOF, it represents a significant distance from the center of arcane space and from the most well-known worlds in this quadrant (Oerth, Krynn and Toril).
    Now THAT is an interesting chart. Do you have a link I could to know more about all those spheres?
    Quote Originally Posted by cerin616 View Post
    I just like to think that Smaug's "cry of pain" was "OH GOD, MY PRETTY! YOU HIT MY RIGHT IN THE PRETTY."
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Now THAT is an interesting chart. Do you have a link I could to know more about all those spheres?
    All? Oh good gravy no. I'll see if I can dig up some of the reference material he used.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Fiends in the half-fiend sense come from the Lower Planes. A shadow eft shouldn't technically have that subtype, since it's from the Plane of Shadow, but merely having it doesn't make it an actual fiend; it's just referred to by that catchall term since most people don't make distinctions when staring down the barrel of eight feet of pure otherworldly terror.
    Very well, then I concede. Thank you for clearing that up.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

All? Oh good gravy no. I'll see if I can dig up some of the reference material he used.
    Fair enough! Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by cerin616 View Post
    I just like to think that Smaug's "cry of pain" was "OH GOD, MY PRETTY! YOU HIT MY RIGHT IN THE PRETTY."
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

First, thanks for asking my previous question in the last thread! Here's a bit of a follow up. Forgive the disjointedness.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around negative energy. On one hand, it's described as a purely destructive force antithetical to life. On the other hand, it's used to animate and cure undead. Is the nature of undeath ever elaborated on in Planescape? How can a non-energy of annihilation be used to animate and revitalize?

These questions relate a bit to my previous question, on a Doomguard's views on healing. For instance, they revere the destructive qualities of the negative energy plane, but doesn't undeath defy entropy? Would a doomguard ever willingly become an undead, and accept negative energy "healing"?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cerilia is remote and was hedged off for a time, but is currently accessible (though distant).
    Could you expand on what you mean by "distant" here, and why it was hedged off? I'm aware that it has the Shadow Realm - something like a combination of several different planes all jammed together that planar travelers don't know how to navigate properly? Is that the cause of the distance/hedged nature?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhatahema View Post
    First, thanks for asking my previous question in the last thread! Here's a bit of a follow up. Forgive the disjointedness.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around negative energy. On one hand, it's described as a purely destructive force antithetical to life. On the other hand, it's used to animate and cure undead. Is the nature of undeath ever elaborated on in Planescape? How can a non-energy of annihilation be used to animate and revitalize?
    Negative energy is energy. It animates undead by substituting for the vital force that should have been present, like an afterimage of life. Negative energy doesn't actually repair an undead; bones won't knit, flesh won't mend, none of that nonsense; it merely fills in the holes with more artificial motility. Over time, corporeal undead of most any stripe degrade pretty severely unless preserved.

These questions relate a bit to my previous question, on a Doomguard's views on healing. For instance, they revere the destructive qualities of the negative energy plane, but doesn't undeath defy entropy?
    Not at all. Undead constitute a direct incarnation of unchecked entropy in the world. A creature that hungers to devour life but yields nothing from the act of consumption produces a net gain in entropy with every attack. The Doomguard don't exactly approve of the creation of undead, especially sentient undead, but they don't in the main see a downside to more undeath plaguing the world.

Would a doomguard ever willingly become an undead
    Possibly. Not a common thing, though.

and accept negative energy "healing"?
    Still rather unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Could you expand on what you mean by "distant" here, and why it was hedged off?
    If you look at the star chart, you'll see that Bloodspace is among the Lost Spheres, out near the Crimson Sphere (Athas). That puts it at about 40d10+148 days' travel from Realmspace, going by an admittedly rough estimate. So it's physically "distant."

The sphere was temporarily hedged off after the old gods of Aebrynis were destroyed in the battle of Mount Deismaar. Once the new gods settled in and established their roles on the planes anew, protections were dropped.