New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Fortune's Favor II (IC)

Orin doesn't seem surprised at all that a random person has shown up outside their house. It's becoming quite common. Perhaps they should put up a sign 'Adventurers for hire'.
    "So..That's an interesting incestigative technique...approaching everyone and asking 'are you a warlock?' until they say yes."
    Orin chuckles softly, "Is it just chance that led you to our house, and who has asked you to look for warlocks?" he asks, fully expecting to akready know the answer.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

"...It was pretty much chance, yes. The person who asked me to do this is a sorcerer who lives in the area. He doesn't care for what the warlocks have been up to. More than that isn't really my business to say, at least for his part."

Lea looks back toward the town proper.

"Me, I like this town. The people in it deserve better than this mess that's being made of it."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Hmm. Interesting. One of the things we're doing at the moment is looking for a magic user. If you've got any idea where we should look, that'd be appreciated. Otherwise, we're waiting for some other inquiries to pan out. In the meantime, we're headed out of town for the day on another matter."

4. - Top - End - #754

"Afraid not. The closest concrete information I have is that one of them answers to the name 'Hal'. Nothing to do but keep looking. In the meantime, if you're willing to help me find these warlocks, I'd be happy to help with whatever it is you're doing."

5. - Top - End - #755
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Fine by me. I'm Orin by the way. Adrexah?"

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah thinks to herself a minute... she could be telling the truth and actually be of some help. On the other hand, she may be a spy. Well, hopefully they could get the drop on her if she does something funny. "I suppose it might not hurt if you wanted to come along with us... though I believe the warlocks reside in the forest to the north. However, we are heading south, at the moment. Who is this sorcerer you spoke of?"

7. - Top - End - #757

"I would be happy to help with whatever it is that you are doing. I did offer that as a condition of your telling me where I might find them, yes? As far as the sorcerer who hired me, well...he is a rather private person. I don't think he would appreciate my sharing much of what I know. I will say that his agents have orders to defend Fortune's Favor, and that he opposes those warlocks...and my own opposition to them is rather strengthened by learning that they really are attacking people in the streets."

Lea smiles.

"I'd be happy to explain more later, but for the time being I trust you only a little more than you likely trust me. Shall we?"

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah shrugs. "Frankly, you might be better off checking over at Defendor Investigations. But if you insist... hope you have enough travel rations for a few days?"

9. - Top - End - #759

"Yes, I do. I'm ready to go whenever you are."

10. - Top - End - #760
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"We were on our way to the stables. I need to get a horse, as it's a fair way."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Is it possible to rent horses? Seems a bit risky from the owners point of view.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Eravan is, as per his standard, manning the stables, gently rubbing some sort of crushed herb into a bruised fingernail. He glances up and, when he spots Adrexah, a faint smile lights his otherwise bored features. "A pleasure, more often than not. What need you this eve?"
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

"We are traveling south. I should have enough food for my friends, but have you any idea how to bring enough water for them?"

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

"Truly? A proclamation pleasing to the ear. You'll need these..." He slips a trio of dried cherries into his palm and puts them in contact with Adrexah's hand, should she choose to accept. "There is a path we take that is suitable for directness and providence."

With that, he slips cleanly into the elven tongue. "There is a patch of yellow moss on a stone directly into the woods from this stable. From there, simply follow the lion's tracks. They are scented, so you don't necessarily need to see them. Three ponds adorn the path. I am unsure as to their sanctity of late, so the cherries should cleanse them for an hour or so - you need only apply one.

Another thing. I would keep your, ahm, companions as close as possible whilst in the Grove. I won't go so far as to say that we are xenophobic, but we are quite xenophobic."
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2014-08-24 at 07:19 PM.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah replies back in Elven, "Thank you, Eravan. My friends will be well taken care of... as for the beasts... I think they will manage!" She chuckles a little, still finding that joke from the other day humorous.

Adrexah accepts the cherries, then prepares by slipping the remaining bags of feed on her cart into her backpack. One by one they plop inside, as if it was completely empty. With that, it would seem all the food and water problems were taken care of...

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin bows to Eravan, "I gather you know what we're heading south for then? Would you know how far is this forest we're visiting, and if we'll need horses?"

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

The elf's reaction to Orin is cooler, but he doesn't lose any cordiality. "Yes...as you would measure distance, your destination is roughly two leagues south. Thus, five...candles, is it? Total there and back at a brisk stride. So, yes, unless you enjoy calluses, I recommend enlisting help of the equine persuasion."

17. - Top - End - #767

"...And I have no money left. So I'll need either to barter or deal with a lot of walking."

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

There is deafening silence for a moment. In fact, even the ambient sounds, such as singing birds, cease. "Barter?" Eravan asks softly. "As one would for foodstuffs in the 'civilized' world? No. You will ask an animal friend if they would deign to help you. I would advise not comparing them to inanimate objects of 'value' when you do so."

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

"Erm. Yeah. ...perhaps I should, uh, introduce you to some of these nice horses here and see if any take a liking to you. Oh but how silly of me, I don't know them at all. Perhaps Mr. Greenleaf here might be able to help?"

20. - Top - End - #770

"Ah. I was unclear, my apologies. I was referring more to services."

Lea looks around her.

"I don't really know how to talk to animals, still."

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Eravan waves a hand as though diagnosing Lea with a perplexing cold. "It's a startlingly common problem. The folk of the modern day have all but lost the most basic elements of a rapport with nature. I suppose I can tutor you in the basics. Take heed that different mores apply for different areas and different species. For now, many of my tenants are particularly docile, merely stopping to take shelter from the storm."

He leads the trio aside somewhat, to a darker corner of the stables, where three horses reside. The first is a dapple gray pony, obviously a former war steed based on the scar tissue and the vague imprint of a saddle on his coat. The second is a palomino mare, who seems somewhat skittish upon the approach of unfamiliar faces. The last is an old dark bay stallion who Orin could swear actively locks eyes with him. His stare isn't aggressive or inquisitive, it merely is.

Eravan approaches the horses and bows to each in turn. They seem to recognize him, and relax visibly. He goes between each one, placing a hand atop their heads to introduce them.

The first is the war pony. "Cladul is not...actively trusting, but he has grown accustomed to the presence of 'riders', and a part of me believes he has come to enjoy the symbiosis of the act."

Next, the palomino. "Veranyn takes exclusively to females. She has had...troubled relations with 'civilized' peoples, but she has a soft spot for gentle hands."

Finally, the bay, whose ears flick in annoyance when Eravan makes contact. "And finally Hurah. His glory days are behind him..." At this, a brief snort and lash of a tail. Eravan rolls his eyes. "Disliking the passage of time does not make it nonexistent, Hurah. As I was saying, he can still keep a steady pace with any lesser strider."

"An inability to commune with them directly is only a minor stumbling block. Approach, bow, and ask permission, as you would a fellow member of your race, not a mere steed. If you are not kicked, place a hand on their side. If you still find yourself without injury, that is generally a sign that they will deign to transport you. And who knows," He shrugs. "Perhaps they will take a liking to you and offer these services in the future as well."
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2014-08-27 at 02:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I will not be needing any of your services, but it is nice to meet you all," Adrexah says, rubbing each horse on the mussel.

23. - Top - End - #773

Lea steps a little toward the palamino, and bows as instructed.

"Hello, Veranyn. May I come closer?"

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Veranyn dips her head slowly, her ears back and hooves gnawing gently at the ground. She seems skittish, but not hostile or frightened.

25. - Top - End - #775

Lea steps closer, moving as slowly and evenly so as not to startle.

"Well now, why would anyone give a sweet thing like you trouble?"

She strokes along Veranyn's side gently.

"I'll be sweet if you help follow these two, I promise."

Spoiler
    Show
    All this assuming Veranyn puts up with it and doesn't shy, of course.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin looks nervously at the bay, them visibly relaxes as he sees that Lea hasnt been attacked. That palomino looked as nervous as he felt.
    Last edited by MLucas; 2014-08-29 at 01:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Veranyn nickers softly and allows Lea to make contact. Nearby, Eravan nods grimly. "This is so. She says that one trait the world of stone and metal has in common with that of wood and brush is that a gentle nature is often perceived as a sign of weakness...and, thus, the individual in question is nothing more than easy prey."

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose that is true. Though one's demeanor and one's ability to defend oneself are completely different things... As for me, I prefer to speak softly but carry a big stick." Adrexah smiles, fidgeting with her staff.

29. - Top - End - #779

"Well, I'm gonna keep you safe while you're with me, okay? I'm not a good rider, but I am good at spotting trouble."

Lea smiles over at Orin.

"You said you would need help too, didn't you? I don't think Mr. Greenleaf's friends are going to give you any trouble as long as you listen to them. Right?"

30. - Top - End - #780
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin nods to Lea, then bows to Hurah, "I do need assistance getting to where we're needed, if you would be amenable to that?"