Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Rise of the Lich-King [OoC]

Rise of the Lich-King OoC

This is the OoC for Rise of the Lich-King and the Quest for the Scepter of Air, Crown of Water, Armor of Earth, and Sword of Flame. Discussion about your characters, questions on rules/rulings/happenings/miscellaneous, and general chatter goes on in here.

Character Creation

Spoiler
    Show
    Allowed Content:

• Anything on the SRD
    • DMG, DMG II
    • PHB II
    • Tome of Battle
    • Dungeonscape
    • Dragon Magic and Draconimicon
    • The Completes series
    • Races of series
    • Magic Item Compendium
    • Spell Compendium
    • Magic of Incarnum
    • Stormwrack/Frostburn/Sandstorm
    • Arms and Equipment Guide
    • ECS
    • XPH

Generally vetoed; Ask permission:
    • BoVD/BoED

Other sources are allowable if you ask me. I've got 90+ books for 3.5, so I've probably got the source material. However, the limited list presented above are the only books I'm universally allowing.

Sheets should be hosted to Mythweavers for consideration when you submit. I don't particularly care if you use something else during the game, but make sure I always have access to a link for a Mythweavers sheet (or something similar) holding your current character and their backstory.

• Backstory: Keep it skirt length. Long enough to cover the bare essentials, but short enough to keep me interested.
    • Experience: Bottom of 8th level.
    • Wealth: Standard WBL.
    • Hitpoints: Max at first level, average plus .5 from there.
    • Ability Scores: Use 32 point buy.
    • Alignment: Open, but play a damn character. If I see CE or CN on a sheet, there had better be an actual character present. For this game, I would prefer Good characters.
    • Miscellaneous: Make a fun character. I'll be selecting for character over optimization this game.

House-Rules:

• No multiclassing cost.
    • No XP crafting cost. Artificers need to speak with me about what this means.
    • Skill points are retroactive with Int mod change.
    • Feats every odd level.
    • Fractional BAB
    • Fractional saves. The +2 bonus for a good save is 1 time only.
    • Skill points no longer cost 2 for 1 for cross-class. This does not remove the normal cap, though.
    • Leadership, in any form, does not exist. No, not even then.
    • PF Paladin and Soulknife outright replace their 3.5 counterparts.
    • Power Attack can be used for drawn bows and thrown weapons. Itís always a 2:1 damage:attack ratio for those weapons.
    • Delayed casting classes (Hexblade, Ranger, Paladin) treat their caster level as class level-3 (or however many levels they had before gaining casting).
    • Speak Authoritatively from here.

Players

{table=head] Player | Character | Race | Role| Alignment
    RFLS | Punpun | Kobold | Yes | LN
    Vorpal_Bunny | Draegon | Illumian | Gish | NG
    Irony | Blush | Human | Illusionist | CG
    LuckyStrike | Remi | Half-Orc | Druid | CG
    iTookUrNick | Helios | Aasimar | Healer | NG
    Afool | Mortimer | Human | Necromancer | NG
    AngryCyc | Soosan | Orc | Beatstick | CN
    13_CBS | Phajrah | Hadozee | Striker | LN
    [/table]
    Last edited by RFLS; 2013-12-09 at 02:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Lich-King [OoC]

Glad I got accepted, looking forward to an awesome game. I assume now would be time to claim a speech color, so I'll go with Red.

Edit: If anyone wants to coordinate our backgrounds at all, I think here would be the place to discuss it.
    Last edited by Irony; 2013-12-03 at 02:21 PM.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks to drKarling for the avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome! It's an honor to be here, gentlemen. Helios speaks in a yellow radiance navy, because it's easier to read.

On a side note, there are quite a few of us! Those mass buffs are going to be worth it.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-12-03 at 01:38 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ahoy everybody! Happy to be on board.

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm excited to have the fortune of joining this game, looking forward to my first actual play by post game. Is Purple* legible?

VB

*Artistic Grumble about "Purple" as opposed to Violet...
    Last edited by Vorpal_Bunny; 2013-12-03 at 02:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

FIRE BURN ORANGE. INTELLIGENCE SCORE NOT EQUAL TO LINGUISTICAL ABILITIES.
    Last edited by AngryCyc; 2013-12-03 at 04:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Also honored to be here, looking forward to playing with you guys

I will claim Dark Slate Blue for Phajrah.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

(Fan-geeking that I'm actually in an RFLS game)

I lay claim to dark slate grey.

I'm all for coordinating backgrounds, just give a minute to look through sheets

If anyone has room for an inn named The Half-Dead Head then I can slip in quite easily (Mortimer's passing himself off as a researcher (which is technically accurate) so I hope there's a library or some interesting ruins about- Ooooh Initial Quest Possibility! ).

Oh and be prepared for some solid passive buffs in combat (being able to share Recitations is quite nice ).

*Edit
    *Suddenly realizes that he both has to and gets to stat up a 16HD Skelly Elephant )

**Edit
    I was looking through sheets and (unless there was a special restriction placed) I feel obliged to remind that we gain feats every odd level, so some people have an extra feat to grab (1,3,5,7 as compared to 1,3,6)
    Last edited by Afool; 2013-12-03 at 07:52 PM.
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight for letting me adopt my Pikeman Avatar.
    A Tricking Website

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afool View Post
    **Edit
    I was looking through sheets and (unless there was a special restriction placed) I feel obliged to remind that we gain feats every odd level, so some people have an extra feat to grab (1,3,5,7 as compared to 1,3,6)
    Hrm, I missed that little rule during character creation. Fixing now...

Edit: Fixed. Moved Imp. TWF to Level 7, made Improved Initiative my 5th level feat.

*Edit
    *Suddenly realizes that he both has to and gets to stat up a 16HD Skelly Elephant )
    [thesimpsons]Where's my elephant!?[/thesimpsons]
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2013-12-03 at 08:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Right Here.

(If anyone wants to look over Feather feel free. Feather should be a Skeleton Elephant advanced to 16HD.)
    A Tricking Website

11. - Top - End - #11

If anyone has room for an inn named The Half-Dead Head then I can slip in quite easily (Mortimer's passing himself off as a researcher (which is technically accurate) so I hope there's a library or some interesting ruins about- Ooooh Initial Quest Possibility! ).

Draegon could have been a frequent visitor to the Half-Dead Head on his trips away from the Cabal. Also (from what I can tell) Mortimer has a truenaming component? That would likely be enough for him to attempt to strike up a conversation with an Illumian...

VB

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PUNY FIRELESS MEN NEED HELP SEE IN DARK. NEED KEPT WARM. SOOSAN KEEP WARM AND BRIGHT ALL WHO NEED. SOOSAN GOOD FIREKEEPER. TORC BURNS LONG FOR FRIENDS. TORC BURNS BAD DEAD THINGS.

Spoiler
    Show
    The entire game. Every single thing. This.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCyc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The entire game. Every single thing. This.
    When I read your background I laughed until my laptop started moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal_Bunny View Post
    Draegon could have been a frequent visitor to the Half-Dead Head on his trips away from the Cabal. Also (from what I can tell) Mortimer has a truenaming component? That would likely be enough for him to attempt to strike up a conversation with an Illumian...

VB
    Well to be honest it's more along the lines (at least in my head) that he's a Truenamer first and a summon support second (which just happen to be the bond and called souls of those who have fallen against the undead).

While Mortimer doesn't have those fancy Utterances and Incantations, he does have several very nice Recitations that he can share with every ally (who is alive) within line of sight. Some of the ones I chose include purging Poisons and Diseases (soon including magical), increased speed with a deflection bonus to AC, and the piece de resistance of effectively untyped AC boost and DR/- (+6 and 4 respectively).

And then at level 10 I can maintain two at once

Which reminds me. A quick question to RFLS.

Under Feats there is one called Extra Utterance which allows one who can truespeak to pick another Utterance that they are capable of and add it to their know list (effectively the Truenaming equivalent of Extra Spell). Per RAW of the text that doesn't apply to Recitations or Incantations and while I messaged Kellus to see if limiting it (as well as the Meta-Speak feats) to only Utterances was intentional, I'd like to see what your interpretation is (being GM and all).

(I had originally grabbed Empower Utterance (though it isn't as effective as just flat out increasing the effect :yet:) as I do qualify for it (somehow, Thanks Eyes of Vitality!) and I had planned on taking Extra Utterance next level to provide everyone with Flight (Recitation of Imposed Pull with the Augment). At least until I had read the Utterance part and realized that RAW made it technically impossible to pick the feat up without multiclassing. What do you think?)
    Last edited by Afool; 2013-12-04 at 01:50 AM.
    A Tricking Website

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

As a veteran of the Lightbringers, a long gone and almost forgotten group of undead hunters*, your character might have interacted with mine. Helios is available in the walk-in infirmary of the temple of Pelor; he raises the subject of his past employment and undead lore in general with anyone who needs treating, wether he asks about it or not.

On the other hand, your skeletal elephant might be cause of concern.

*[fluff subject to revision by the DM]
    Oh and be prepared for some solid passive buffs in combat (being able to share Recitations is quite nice ).
    I've some general buffs & utility myself, but I'd rather not overlap with anything you can do at will. For example, right now I'm thinking of providing Recitation (what a lack of imagination on WotC's part) to everyone. I've already taken out remove poison/disease from the list (I read you have it). Let's try and coordinate as much as possible.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-12-04 at 12:30 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #15

Well to be honest it's more along the lines (at least in my head) that he's a Truenamer first and a summon support second (which just happen to be the bond and called souls of those who have fallen against the undead).

While Mortimer doesn't have those fancy Utterances and Incantations, he does have several very nice Recitations that he can share with every ally (who is alive) within line of sight. Some of the ones I chose include purging Poisons and Diseases (soon including magical), increased speed with a deflection bonus to AC, and the piece de resistance of effectively untyped AC boost and DR/- (+6 and 4 respectively).

And then at level 10 I can maintain two at once
    Oh, I was thinking less about mechanics/party comp, and more about background. I mean, Illumians are basically beings made from language, and are intimately tied to their language (and words of power in general). As such, it would seem like someone with a Truenaming background would notice when an Illumian walks into a bar (ouch), and would likely strike up a conversation.

VB

16. - Top - End - #16

That sounds quite reasonable. Someone to talk about the nuances of Truespeaking (and therefore the nature of the universe) would be awesome RP (now to form various opinions about Truenaming!).
    A Tricking Website

17. - Top - End - #17

Hey RFLS,

I'm making a few minor tweaks to Draegon, basically just switching up class progression. I was wondering if the Mind's Eye articles are fair game, such as this one with alternative Nomad class features.

Also, does my psicrystal gain feats from its effective HD?

VB
    Last edited by Vorpal_Bunny; 2013-12-04 at 06:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be more than happy to coordinate Phajrah's backstory with someone else's (tl;dr: arrogant kung-fu prodigy whose masters sent out on a "pilgrimage" to learn how to not be a jerk). Would anyone like to buddy up with me?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

STRONG FISTS. SOOSAN LIKES MUCH. HURT BAD THINGS LIKE FIRE DOES. JOURNEY WELL AND LEARN FROM FIRE.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, guys, assuming everyone's about ready to go, I'll be posting an IC tomorrow. It'll start you on your quest pretty firmly, but if you decide to go about it in another manner than the one laid before you, I will by no means attempt to stop you.

- RFLS

Hey RFLS,

I'm making a few minor tweaks to Draegon, basically just switching up class progression. I was wondering if the Mind's Eye articles are fair game, such as this one with alternative Nomad class features.

Also, does my psicrystal gain feats from its effective HD?

VB
    Mind's Eye articles are generally allowable. Check with me for anything that's a little weird or questionable, though. That article looks great, I'd actually never seen it before.

Your psicrystal does gain feats; I'd ask that you refrain from using Feat Leach, though.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Mind's Eye articles are generally allowable. Check with me for anything that's a little weird or questionable, though. That article looks great, I'd actually never seen it before.

Your psicrystal does gain feats; I'd ask that you refrain from using Feat Leach, though.
    Great Thanks!

Feat Leach wasn't something I'd consider, it's just rude :) I'm mostly interested in something like Mindsight, giving us a scout buddy for Blush.

Speaking of which, Draegon's Psicrystal has quite the personality, and so I think I'll claim a text color for it (him?)...How about Plum as it will be similar to Draegon's...

VB

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCyc View Post
    STRONG FISTS. SOOSAN LIKES MUCH. HURT BAD THINGS LIKE FIRE DOES. JOURNEY WELL AND LEARN FROM FIRE.
    Hmm, Phajrah's Mindblades are currently just +2 weapons at the moment.

...perhaps I'll make them into ice blades to troll ratchet up the tension with Soosan.

23. - Top - End - #23

That sounds quite reasonable. Someone to talk about the nuances of Truespeaking (and therefore the nature of the universe) would be awesome RP (now to form various opinions about Truenaming!).
    I've already been thinking about Draegon's response to Mortimer's um...talents...Specifically he'll be unsettled (and VERY off-put) by the necromancer aspect of Mortimer*. When (if) he comes to grip with Mortimer's tactics, he will forcefully suggest that Mortimer refrain from summoning up the spirits of any fallen Illumian.

*Currently, Draegon suspects a Gravewhisper (Necromancer) Illumian Cabal for the destruction of the Bitterblood Cabal, death of his wife, etc. Obviously, this will make him rather hostile to anyone dabbling in necromancy, until (as he is a reasonable chap) he understands the methodology of the necromancy (from what I've read of the necronomist, there IS the possibility that the spirits summoned could be semi-willing (if sentient)). (Sorry for all the parenthetical text).

@iTookUrNick, While I don't see any specific connections between Draegon and Helios, I think they'd get along quite well; both appreciate (and use) knowledge to gain advantage against their enemies, both have a dislike of undead, and have a scholarly bent. Perhaps, if we wanted to introduce a connection, the Parignostic society to which Helios belongs COULD trade in knowledge with the destroyed Bitterblood Cabal, or the like.

24. - Top - End - #24

I've already been thinking about Draegon's response to Mortimer's um...talents...Specifically he'll be unsettled (and VERY off-put) by the necromancer aspect of Mortimer*. When (if) he comes to grip with Mortimer's tactics, he will forcefully suggest that Mortimer refrain from summoning up the spirits of any fallen Illumian.

*Currently, Draegon suspects a Gravewhisper (Necromancer) Illumian Cabal for the destruction of the Bitterblood Cabal, death of his wife, etc. Obviously, this will make him rather hostile to anyone dabbling in necromancy, until (as he is a reasonable chap) he understands the methodology of the necromancy (from what I've read of the necronomist, there IS the possibility that the spirits summoned could be semi-willing (if sentient)). (Sorry for all the parenthetical text).
    (No worries about parentheses, I can appreciate the need to add an aside mid-text)

Well the flavor of the summoning is the binding of a soul (using their Truename) to his necronomicon (not The Necronomicon) and the calling of that soul. Backstory wise, all of the souls bound are those who fought against the Lich-King and who otherwise would have become undead (nothing can release any bound souls with one exception*).

So yeah the spirits are willing (though the Red Dragon might chaff a bit). As for summoning fallen Illumian, the only reason I can think of binding one is to prevent them from being turned into undead, or for information reasons (which could be fairly easily covered by a Speak with Dead, though now I'm wondering about the possibility of using the two together for synergy. But that's for another day.)

*Per text, It cannot be brought back to life unless the book is burnt and the ashes are doused with holy water or mixed with salt. Even a wish spell or similar effect cannot break this bond. (Of the connection between the book and the bound soul.)
    A Tricking Website

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

(Can I just throw in (and I hate that I'm breaking the character to do this (but it needed to be done and is well worth it)) that I was so glad (and by glad I really mean "not irrationally angry for once") that all your parentheses were closed properly.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

@iTookUrNick, While I don't see any specific connections between Draegon and Helios, I think they'd get along quite well; both appreciate (and use) knowledge to gain advantage against their enemies, both have a dislike of undead, and have a scholarly bent. Perhaps, if we wanted to introduce a connection, the Parignostic society to which Helios belongs COULD trade in knowledge with the destroyed Bitterblood Cabal, or the like.
    Ah, the Paragnostic Assembly! Helios became a member in his youth, when doing his PhD on resonance levels in necromantically charged molecular structures...

I'd say a shared interest will work much better than a flimsy prior relation, but if needed we can revise that with a well-timed revelation.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-12-05 at 09:12 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #27

Perhaps Draegon has read Helios' dissertation...

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Ah, the Paragnostic Assembly! Helios became a member in his youth, when doing his PhD on resonance levels in necromantically charged molecular structures...

I'd say a shared interest will work much better than a flimsy prior relation, but if needed we can revise that with a well-timed revelation.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps Draegon has read Helios' dissertation...
    That would be both plausible and cool. I like it a lot!

@AC: being well versed in writing code, I empathize with the sentiment you expressed.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-12-05 at 09:32 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Edit: If anyone wants to coordinate our backgrounds at all, I think here would be the place to discuss it.
    Irony, I can't think of any specific ways to integrate Blush and Draegon, unless, perhaps, Draegon was the mark for some sort of charitable donations con (he does have a fairly soft heart).

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    That would be both plausible and cool. I like it a lot!
    Great! Lets go for that; it makes sense as if there is a significant (or even not-so significant) published work, it's likely to be found in an Illumian library, and is likely to be read by a fair portion of the cabal.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCry View Post
    (Can I just throw in (and I hate that I'm breaking the character to do this (but it needed to be done and is well worth it)) that I was so glad (and by glad I really mean "not irrationally angry for once") that all your parentheses were closed properly.)
    I'm glad you approve. I can't claim its due to a coding background, or even any great strength with proper grammar; but is likely due to a consistent tendency to think and speak using conditional clauses.

:)

VB

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Unless any of the characters enjoy a good session of chewing tobacco in a rocking chair while listening to the sounds of the swamp surrounding a rickety old porch its probably more likely they will have met Remi on one of his walkabouts.

Sharing an orc heritage could link to Suusan, and his healing skills could mean he assisted Helios in the chapel during an epidemic or during wartime. The others could have been met on the road I imagine.. Or he could be a new face.

Anybody fresh ideas?