New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Question Warshaper....kinda

Ok so my Dm has asked me to come up with a PRC that my druid might take. The only one I was semi interested in was Warshaper. However, I don't want to lose spell casting.

So currently this is kinda what I came up, but having never made a PRC not sure if this is too over powered.

Lvl BAB F R W Ability Spell casting
    1 +0 2 0 0 Wildshape, Morphic weapons +1 to spell casting lvl
    2 +1 3 1 1 Animal companion, Morphic Body ---------
    3 +1 3 1 1 +1 to spell casting lvl
    4 +2 4 1 1 Morphic Reach -----------
    5 +2 4 1 1 Morphic Healing +1 to spellcasting lvl

The wildshape will allow druid wildshape to stack with "warshaper" level.
    Morphic weapons is the same as the orginal warshaper
    Animal companion allows levels to stack again for determining bonuses for the companion
    Morphic reach and morphic healing are the same as the original warshaper.

I thought this was ok with the drop of BAB and the loss of some of warshaper abilities, and also with not full spell casting. My Dm is thinking it over, but I would like your opinion and possible suggestions. Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warshaper....kinda

Have you looked at the Master of Many Forms PrC?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I had seen that and while intriguing, I can't bring myself to waste two feat to get into it. Also it has zero progression of casting for 10 levels.
    Last edited by Starchild7309; 2013-12-05 at 06:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Firstly, tables will make this nicer. Or at least don't include BAB and stuff with your list of class features because it looks confusing.

Looking at your class features, this doesn't seem good for the druid. I'm pretty sure Morphic Reach and Morphic Body don't work with wildshape (though the +HP from Constitution will stick around) since it's based on statblock-replacement. Maybe I'm wrong about this, though.

Right now the class doesn't seem as strong as just going straight druid, but it's definitely stronger than the original warshaper class.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2013-12-05 at 08:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

{table]Lvl|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Ability|Spell casting
    1|+0|+2|+0|+0|Wildshape, Morphic weapons|+1 to spell casting lvl
    2|+1|+3|+1|+1|Animal companion, Morphic Body|-
    3|+1|+3|+1|+1|-|+1 to spell casting lvl
    4|+2|+4|+1|+1|Morphic Reach|-
    5|+2|+4|+1|+1|Morphic Healing|+1 to spellcasting lvl[/table]

Here you go.
    Last edited by Kazy; 2013-12-05 at 08:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The conventional wisdom is that for Druids, the only PrC better than more levels in Druid is Planar Shepherd.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

You guys are aware that you're not required to take more than one level in a prestige class, right? Taking a single level in warshaper has slightly delayed animal companion progression as its only cost, and in return you get crazy warshaper natural weapon powers. That seems really powerful to me. Like, better than straight druid, and straight druid is obviously the best. I'd probably either shift the casting progression so you can't do the weird dip thing, or better yet add in a feat tax. This ability isn't that great if you need a feat for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    The conventional wisdom is that for Druids, the only PrC better than more levels in Druid is Planar Shepherd.
    Also moonspeaker, and lion of talisid approximately breaks even.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2013-12-05 at 10:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'd bump the BAB up to medium, and drop the animal companion advancement. There's literally no reason to have it-- 3/5 casting and full wildshape advancement is more than enough. (Heck, the original class was often worth it when it didn't advance even wildshape)

Oh, and MoMF goes best with Wildshape Ranger, which doesn't care about casting and gets Endurance for free. So that's what that's for. But really, you're still a crazy-good character with just the shapeshifting it gives you. A few levels of druid casting is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2013-12-05 at 10:13 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use