Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Trekking the Plains of Deltar OOC

Welcome guys, this will be our OOC thread. Here I'll keep the list of players and sheets, as well as current updated setting info and whatever else we feel is relevant, also please feel free to chit chat and ask questions here.

{table=head]Player|Character|Alignment/Class
    Yawielas|Mercutio Firewen|CG Human Rogue|
    Harbinger|Septimis|CE Kobold Dread Necromancer
    NotScaryBats|Agnes Ugnis|CN Strongheart Hafling Evoker
    CalamaroJoe|Gunnar Stenhardhed|CG Dwarf Barbarian
    White_Knight|Rikk|TN Elf Druid[/table]

Spoiler: languages
    Show

While it's nice to have fantasy languages for flavor, I find they can complicate things. Therefore I tend to assign fantasy languages (what your character calls them) to real world languages for ease of use and translation. Here are the comparisons for the standard races languages:

Common=English

The Races of Stone use Germanic langauges:
    Dwarven= Danish
    Gnomish= Icelandic
    Goliath= Dutch

The Races of the Wild use Baltic languages
    Elven=Latvian
    Hafling=Lithuanian

Other languages:
    Draconic= Latin
    Sylvan= Welsh

Terran= German
    Ignan= Italian
    Aquan= Russian
    Auran=Bulgarian

Giant=French
    Orc=Spanish
    Goblin=Portugese

Undercommon=Arabic

Exceptions:
    Celestial, Infernal, and Abyssal have no words.

Celestial is wordless chanting, the meaning of which is deciphered from the rising and falling of the tone in sequence.

Infernal is a language of carefully patterned clicks punctuated by glottal stops. (Think of morse code if it was done by a person with their tongue)

Abyssal is made up of snarls, growls, screams, and bodily noises and is particularly difficult because of the infinite variety of patterns that are used for it.

These three languages cost an extra 2 skill points to learn because they are so foreign to mortal concepts, Abyssal requires 4 extra points. Even learning these to start from your INT you must either pay the extra points, or use extra language slots (Abyssal would be the equal of 3 free languages, the others would take 2 free languages each)

This is all I have so far. I stick strictly to languages available on google translate. If you have suggestions, please give them. I'll fill the list in as I decide on them/as needed

For names you can stick with the traditional fantasy names/suggested names from the game, or use a name from the region the language comes from if you need help, or name however you normally would. This list is currently in flux

Area around you:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Plains of Deltar are surrounded by a large human nation to the west in an area that is also mostly plains, though without the severe weather. North of that lies a large expanse of forest, called the Gnarlwood. The Gnarlwood has a few nations of elves and humans throughout it. Directly to the north is a chain of mountains stretching northward and then up around the Gnarlwood. To the east of the Mountains is a small human city, sovereign in it's own right, not paying any loyalty to the larger human nations. To the east of the Plains, south of the city a large desert expands eastward and southward. Directly south of the plains a large gulf sits. In the gulf are two large islands. One has a dwarven fortress upon it.

The Free City of New Haven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Free City of New Haven was founded about 50 years ago by political refugees seeking to avoid the strict laws of the southwestern human kingdoms. They sought to create a utopian society where everyone was equal and noone was beholden to the government.

They set off in search of a place and soon found a secure plain. The fierce storms on the plains of Deltar to the south prevent an army from safetly moving over it, and the steep mountains directly to the west protect from attacks from that direction. Meanwhile the desert to the east holds no known civilizations capable or inclined to conquer a city.

New Haven asks no questions of newcomers, which has led all sorts of criminals from other lands to come to the city, some seeking a new life amongst the honest citizens, others seeking a new place to continue their crimes.

The head council of the city tries hard to stop them, setting up a strong watch, but the watch is often corrupt, or avoided, and there is little they manage to do. New Haven is currently a city fighting for it's identity. Theives guilds battle eachother in the streets as the council tries to get the watch to shut them down. The watch takes bribes and sometimes even strongarms honest citizens, while other parts of the watch fight to purify it. Meanwhile merchants and the like come, trying to take advantage of the rich and rare natural resources in the area.

The Plains of Deltar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Plains are mostly flat with long grasses covering the land. On the northern part the land has gentle hills, but the southern half is nearly completely flat, save for a few random stone towers and the occasional rare large hill. Large herds of animals wander the Plains, mainly Bison, Elephants, and Rhinoceros. There are only a few species of really large predator that prowl the plain. Intense storms often sweep up with little to no warning from the south, heading north until they hit the mountains.

The Gnarlwood:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Gnarlwood is a large forest. It is separated into East Gnarlwood, West Gnarlwood, Hesha, The Deadwood, and the Wildwood.

East Gnarlwood:
    Spoiler
    Show
    East Gnarlwood is an elven nation ruled by a council of elders, made up of a 20 High Elves and 20 Wood Elves that changes out by election every century, half every 50 years. The council is presided over by a king the council elects from it's own each time the council is changed. It is the nation of Elves most often dealt with by outsiders.

The Kobava Desert:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Kobava Desert begins fairly nice, prairie grasses from the Plains of Deltar slowly giving way to sand and rock. As one ventures farther south, deeper into desert it slowly gets drier and drier. Throughout the northernmost part of the desert lush oasis are found, becoming rarer and rarer as one goes south. In the southermost parts of the desert however they become very rare, and those springs that are found are nearly all tainted with salt water, until one runs into the ocean.

In the northern and middle parts of the desert hardy and tight-knit bands of nomadic haflings make their way in life with a simple foragers existence. Their life requires strict teamwork from the whole group and an non-conformist face banishment.

Spoiler: house rules, in case anyone needs to remind themselves
    Show
    1. A natural 20= 30, a natural one =-9. No automatically succed or fail.

2. All classes that don't already have a knowledge as a class skill receive one off Knowledge: Dungeoneering, Knowledge: Nobility and Royality, OR Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering as a class skill. Player's choice. This rule is in effect: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paB...ccDMQACfu.html

3. This diplomacy fix is in effect: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFp...kegKhONNF.html

4. You may each choose up to 2 PATHFINDER traits, and up to one Pathfinder drawback, if you wish

5. Test based prerequisites will be in play for PrCs and some higher level feats: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ca...requisites.htm The exact nature of each test will depend on what you're going for. This shouldn't affect your character design, but be aware it will exits

6. I'll be using affiliations from the PHB2. Like Test Based Prereqs, this will just come naturally and smoothly into the game. You may start with an affiliation score in a single organization if you wish. Organizations will be worked out during character creation as needed.

7. Celestial, Infernal, and Abyssal have special requirements, see the Languages and Names spoiler.

8. I'll allow each character to have one flaw. I'll even allow you to suggest a non-SRD flaw for your character, the only rule is it has to be relevant and you have to pass it by me first
    Last edited by Katasi; 2014-01-01 at 07:01 PM.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trekking the Plains of Deltar OOC

Thanks for letting me play :) Mercutio (Marco) will speak in Orange if that's ok.

3. - Top - End - #3

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yawielas View Post
    Thanks for letting me play :) Mercutio (Marco) will speak in Orange if that's ok.
    Works for me, it shows up nicely

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Great!
    I look forward to a good game.

Gunnar will speak in DarkRed.

@Katasi If I can, I'm considering some tweaks to the character. If you'd rather not, it's fine and I'll leave him as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Katasi View Post
    4. You may each choose up to 2 PATHFINDER traits, and up to one Pathfinder drawback, if you wish
    8. I'll allow each character to have one flaw. I'll even allow you to suggest a non-SRD flaw for your character, the only rule is it has to be relevant and you have to pass it by me first
    What are the mechanic of this? Two traits are free, a drawback gives an extra trait and the flaw gives an extra feat; I'm getting it right?

Current characters:
    Gunnar in Trekking the Plains of Deltar IC OOC
    Chaitor in Pawns of the Great Game IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CalamaroJoe View Post
    Great!
    I look forward to a good game.

Gunnar will speak in DarkRed.

@Katasi If I can, I'm considering some tweaks to the character. If you'd rather not, it's fine and I'll leave him as is.

What are the mechanic of this? Two traits are free, a drawback gives an extra trait and the flaw gives an extra feat; I'm getting it right?
    Correct. And I'll allow you to finish tweaking it a bit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll speak in Sienna.

On an unrelated note I just realized my AC is the highest in the party. I guess that static +1 natural armor bonus kobolds get has some use after all.
    Last edited by Harbinger; 2013-12-06 at 06:07 AM.
    I am assuming direct control.
    7/29/2013. Never Forget:

Games I'm running:
    Ain't No Rest for the Wicked IC OOC
    The Wilds of Sapuera IC OOC
    Games I'm in:
    Septimus Regulus in Trekking the Plains of Deltar IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katasi View Post
    Correct. And I'll allow you to finish tweaking it a bit.
    Thank you.
    I only thought it would be a pity not to take the advantage of having two traits, once I understood that PF traits are exclusively positive.

Spoiler: Chosen traits
    Show
    Free Spirit:
    Gunnar suffered by not being allowed to express what he felt. He respects the freedom of others to say what they want; after all, he can always choose to ignore the speaker.
    +1 trait bonus on saving throws against language-dependent effects and effects with the sonic descriptor
    +2 DC to Intimidate Gunnar

Grounded (Dwarf):
    Gunnar is well balanced, both physically and mentally.
    +2 trait bonus on Balance checks
    +1 trait bonus on Reflex saves

In other PbP games we used to start the IC post with something along the lines of
    Gunnar, dwarf barbarian
    What do you think? It helps reading the thread, but maybe tends to compress the characters in a stereotype

Current characters:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's a good idea to start the posts With character name and class, at least in the beginning. Maybe a picture as well.

Katasi, what is your policy on posting frequency? I'm asking because I tend to post a lot, often just to keep the game going, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes and "take their turn". I don't overstep during turn-based actions like combat, but in conversation and describing, I post frequently. If that is bad form, I will try to restrain myself ;) .

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomeWizardGuy

Thank you.
    I only thought it would be a pity not to take the advantage of having two traits, once I understood that PF traits are exclusively positive.

Spoiler: Chosen traits
    Show
    Free Spirit:
    Gunnar suffered by not being allowed to express what he felt. He respects the freedom of others to say what they want; after all, he can always choose to ignore the speaker.
    +1 trait bonus on saving throws against language-dependent effects and effects with the sonic descriptor
    +2 DC to Intimidate Gunnar

Grounded (Dwarf):
    Gunnar is well balanced, both physically and mentally.
    +2 trait bonus on Balance checks
    +1 trait bonus on Reflex saves

In other PbP games we used to start the IC post with something along the lines of
    Gunnar, dwarf barbarian
    What do you think? It helps reading the thread, but maybe tends to compress the characters in a stereotype
    I've... actually never heard of that practice before. It's a good idea actually. Also during combat I'd like you guys to post your relevant stats, for example:

Hit Points - 11/14, AC - 14, Conditions - Fatigued, [Abilities that will effect values till next action. For Example Dodge [Zombie 4]]

Quote Originally Posted by Yawielas View Post
    I think it's a good idea to start the posts With character name and class, at least in the beginning. Maybe a picture as well.

Katasi, what is your policy on posting frequency? I'm asking because I tend to post a lot, often just to keep the game going, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes and "take their turn". I don't overstep during turn-based actions like combat, but in conversation and describing, I post frequently. If that is bad form, I will try to restrain myself ;) .
    I don't mind frequent posting as long as your character has something to do and your posts don't come right after eachother.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh, you guys were all up late last night <3
    I went to bed at 11.

For her part, Agne will speak in Indigo and her AC is only 13 :( lol
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NotScaryBats View Post
    Oooh, you guys were all up late last night <3
    I went to bed at 11.

For her part, Agne will speak in Indigo and her AC is only 13 :( lol
    It happens to me more often than I can to admit, lol. I'm very much a night owl.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

ehm...
    I learned a moment ago that you can roll 1d20+3 etc.
    Sorry for the little mess in spoilers.

Current characters:

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomeWizardGuy

ehm...
    I learned a moment ago that you can roll 1d20+3 etc.
    Sorry for the little mess in spoilers.
    Not a problem. By the way just thought I'd let you know that hills and such count as "things made out of stone" for your dwarven stone cunning.

Also anyone else whose character has headed for the hill heard Septimus yell out and should be able to follow the cry.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Wow, you've all been busy little bees while I was asleep! :o

Last, but not least, Swan will be speaking in Forest Green.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to get Animate Dead as a 2nd level spell, because that spell is baisically the bread and butter of my class, and under the rules for some reason I won't get it until I get 4th level spells at level 8. That's three levels after a cleric gets it and one level after a wizard gets it. What do you think?
    7/29/2013. Never Forget:

Games I'm running:
    Games I'm in:

16. - Top - End - #16

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to get Animate Dead as a 2nd level spell, because that spell is baisically the bread and butter of my class, and under the rules for some reason I won't get it until I get 4th level spells at level 8. That's three levels after a cleric gets it and one level after a wizard gets it. What do you think?
    Seems reasonable, lemme look into if there's ever been any reason given for that and I'll give you a firm yes or no. Got a bit to go before getting it either way.

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey guys, just a heads up, I'm going to be away most of today, if not overnight, so RP between yourselves until then, and I'll be back either late tonight or someitme tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry for the timeout.
    I always find difficult to post during weekends, and this time was harder than usual.

Current characters:

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomeWizardGuy

Sorry for the timeout.
    I always find difficult to post during weekends, and this time was harder than usual.
    I can't say much since I've been away from internet all weekend as well, on account of getting out of the house to give my parents privacy for their anniversary weekend, lol. And yeah, weekends can tend to be bad.

20. - Top - End - #20

GnomeWizardGuy

So I have a map for this upcoming combat, the trouble is I can figure out how to get it so you can see it. Does anyone know?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Amazing first initiative there :)

22. - Top - End - #22

Horrible rolls all around, here.

Katasi, is it a physical map or something from some kind of website?
    7/29/2013. Never Forget:

Games I'm running:
    Games I'm in:

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Horrible rolls all around, here.

Katasi, is it a physical map or something from some kind of website?
    Neither actually- I based it off from something I've seen done on here
    before and did up the map via a spreadsheet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

So maybe a shared spreadsheet in Google Drive?

EDIT: Katasi, if you can use some help, let me (us) know.

EDIT2: Yes, great initiative rolls!!
    Last edited by CalamaroJoe; 2013-12-10 at 05:09 AM.

Current characters:

25. - Top - End - #25

GnomeWizardGuy

So maybe a shared spreadsheet in Google Drive?

EDIT: Katasi, if you can use some help, let me (us) know.

EDIT2: Yes, great initiative rolls!!
    I think I've got it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

The dark brown boxes are the doors laying down.

R#= Rat #
    M= Marco
    G=Gunnar
    Se=Septimus
    A=Agnes
    Sw=Swan

It's not great, but I think it'll do us until I can improve my technique at least?

I'm going to give Cai overnight to post initiative. Otherwise we'll move into the first round without her.

edit: Just realize I forgot to number the rats. it's fixed now.
    Last edited by Katasi; 2013-12-11 at 03:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I think it's a good tool.
    It will do its function egregiously.

Current characters:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Do we know the rats' initiative?

28. - Top - End - #28

GnomeWizardGuy

Do we know the rats' initiative?
    You do now. Haven't update the map yet cause the weather is making my net run slow and google docs doesn't like it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

So the rats are simply moving and not attacking?

How would you like us to do our actions? I've known some sticklers for following strict init order, and some for 'post when you can, and it will be resolved in init order'

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomeWizardGuy

So the rats are simply moving and not attacking?

How would you like us to do our actions? I've known some sticklers for following strict init order, and some for 'post when you can, and it will be resolved in init order'
    Post whenever and I'll resolve order, and yes, none of you are within a single move action of any of the rats, so they have to take a double move action.