A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone OOC I

Now I'm confused. x.x Has DEN not rested? He should do that. I already did that.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    DEN is NOT waiting for a short rest, but rather moving into the cave to retrieve Sven....unless explicitly ordered by his CO to stop.
    Kriv would have advised everyone to rest. I won't go back and RP it because it would mess up the continuity, but we don't have to stand still during a short rest.

No Strenuous Activity: Resting means just that. The creature can stand guard, sit in place, ride on a wagon or other vehicle, or do other tasks that donít require much exertion.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    Now I'm confused. x.x Has DEN not rested? He should do that. I already did that.
    To be picky on the timing: once the last treant was felled, people started to rest, but DEN did not; he moved immediately to the cave mouth and entered. Partly this is for the reason he gave IC; partly because he's in Battle Reflex and Berserker mode and does not want to drop out of combat any more than you want to be interrupted in the middle of...a very engaging video game fight, for example. Just saying "Maybe everyone should rest" won't do it; it needs to be an order, forex "Unit DEN [or "Stormcrows"], stand down!"

That's DEN's point of view. I-the-player am fine with retconning it to "Kriv orders the Crows to " blah blah blah and taking a short rest.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, let's get a little meta.

If we don't short rest, I can't do any more Inspiring Words. So Kriv is resting. I'm totally OK with DEN exploring for a few minutes on his own, so long as DEN is not going to charge headlong into the cave by himself.

edit: I'll say this - I am happy to RP the leader, but I don't want to play anyone else's character for them. If it works for DEN to not rest, then DEN doesn't have to. It's not like you have to kill something every 10 seconds to stay "in combat" like you do in a videogame
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-01-08 at 06:42 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

5. - Top - End - #275

I think it'd be terribly short sighted to not burn some surges. That is ultimately your choice, of course, but since we're all players on a team I advise against it.

More than that though, I think it needs to be resolved before it becomes relevant (which is why I hadn't posted yet.)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it'd be terribly short sighted to not burn some surges.
    DEN is INT8 and Berserker. :-)
    If the Stormcrows have been together a while, I'd suggest retconning it to "Kriv knows the warforged has to be kept on a short leash, and orders DEN to stand down". DM call, once the DM thaws out a little more.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

DEN can gain the effects of a short rest as long as he doesn't do anything more strenuous than wander around the cave for the next little bit.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Fantastic - now lets go rescue/murder as appropriate!

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Unrelated: let me know what paragon paths you are each planning to take at some point in the next week or so.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Unrelated: let me know what paragon paths you are each planning to take at some point in the next week or so.
    So far, I'd like to take the Peerless Hunter paragon path from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    I'm debating a few - it will depend on how seafaring this is, or how much we'll deal with aberrant creatures (this being a war between Good + Law vs Evil and Chaos) or what.

If mostly aberrant, then Twiceborn Leader
    If mostly seafaring, then Sword Coast Corsair (massive bonuses oriented around oceanic stuff)
    If not focused in any particular way, then Commando Captain (fits with Stormcrow idea) or Battlelord of Kord (just gives nice beefy attack bonuses to everyone)

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I ask mainly for fluff reasons.

Viktor being unavailable bums me out a little, since he as the only directly-divine character.

If any of you have a divine-influenced paragon path in mind, that would be nice. If there's one that you love the flavor of but that sucks, let me know and we'll see about sprucing it up a little.

Also, make sure to have your item wishlists done at some point in the next week or so as well.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    If mostly aberrant, then [B]Twiceborn Leader
    For Twice-Born Leader I would consider letting you change it to "Enemies of Great Hope" or "God-cursed" or something along those lines instead of aberrants. If you're interested we can hash it out.

As for Sword Coast Corsair, well, we'll have to wait and see

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Warforged Juggernaut holds an obvious appeal, although Swordmaster and Shield Adept...I'd go with whatever the DM advises.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    DEN is INT8 and Berserker. :-)
    If the Stormcrows have been together a while, I'd suggest retconning it to "Kriv knows the warforged has to be kept on a short leash, and orders DEN to stand down". DM call, once the DM thaws out a little more.
    But you aren't. :P All's well, though.

As for PP's, I can't really imagine going anything but Daggermaster, and Sathris would have to find religion /and/ a weird MC to even qualify for something cool and divine.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv could definitely be persuaded to head more toward Kord. That PP is kind of awesome and tempting.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Is the cave mechanically dark or just fluff dark? :P
    The cave is dark.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-10 at 02:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Oh thanks that clears everything right up. :P

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh thanks that clears everything right up. :P
    What do you expect the difference to be?

20. - Top - End - #290

I'm just curious if we're going to end up in a combat with varying light levels because I'm thinking about the mechanics of doing so online. Shouldn't be a huge problem or anything, just want to know. Also want to know if the Low-light vision is coming in to play or not.

I suppose a more clear question is, how dark is it? As in "darker than normal, it's a cave duh", "dark enough to make it harder to see" or "pitch black."

And of course that can change as we go deeper.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm just curious if we're going to end up in a combat with varying light levels because I'm thinking about the mechanics of doing so online. Shouldn't be a huge problem or anything, just want to know. Also want to know if the Low-light vision is coming in to play or not.

I suppose a more clear question is, how dark is it? As in "darker than normal, it's a cave duh", "dark enough to make it harder to see" or "pitch black."

And of course that can change as we go deeper.
    In combat I will tell you to what degree it effects you. For now Sathris (and Draj and Hakka) can all see relatively well thanks to their low-light vision. As you say, the deeper you go the darker it gets - eventually becoming pitch black. What problem do you foresee with online mechanics?
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-10 at 02:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292

No real problem necessarily. Just going to have to keep track of mobile light sources, a lot of potentially Hidden creatures and such, and I'm going to have to go over the rules for it as reminder for myself. :P

Regarding that, where do you stand on the "allies (both us and intelligent enemies) can point out where Hidden enemies are" issue?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

I always view it as "group vision" like in Baldur's Gate. If one person can see well enough, then they can explain to the rest of the group what they see. Now, if the one person scouting ahead has normal vision, it makes sense that they wouldn't see the same as a person scouting ahead with infravision/darkvision/low light vision.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

No real problem necessarily. Just going to have to keep track of mobile light sources, a lot of potentially Hidden creatures and such, and I'm going to have to go over the rules for it as reminder for myself. :P

Regarding that, where do you stand on the "allies (both us and intelligent enemies) can point out where Hidden enemies are" issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    I always view it as "group vision" like in Baldur's Gate. If one person can see well enough, then they can explain to the rest of the group what they see. Now, if the one person scouting ahead has normal vision, it makes sense that they wouldn't see the same as a person scouting ahead with infravision/darkvision/low light vision.
    I'm not fully up on the intricacies of this issue, but here are my preliminary thoughts.

Group sight is reasonable, with the following caveats - you have to be able to communicate with the other characters, the other characters have to be capable of at least partially sensing whatever you're talking about, and you have to communicate info about location for targetting purposes.

So you can't make the sailors on the beach aware of whatever may be in the cave (barring magic and so forth); hopefully obvious.
    Characters with darkvision can't tell characters without it more than the very basics of hat they see, and so forth.
    And if you want Hakka to target an enemy he can't see, for example, you will have to give short but accurate descriptions of where you want him to shoot - i.e. "A couple of feet to the left of the table!" and hoping he gets it right instead of simply telling him C5 or whatever.

25. - Top - End - #295

I actually like the sound of that, but it'd require you to like... PM the locations of Hidden enemies to everyone who can see them or something. Also there'd still be a -5 penalty on any attack made against a Hidden target that was pointed out to you (from invisibility.)

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Draj is looking to pick up the Academy Master paragon path.

27. - Top - End - #297

I'm thinking the chance of taking an ambush to the face upon making some light is better than the chances of stumbling blindly into creatures that may have darkvision. The question then becomes, what light? I looked and most of us have torches and such. Draj has a ritual, but we don't need to resort to burning a surge for a cantrip level function right now. :p Any options I'm missing? Utility powers or something?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Alas, I sacrificed that cantrip for more Charm Person spells. :p

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Sunrod seems perfectly appropriate.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

30. - Top - End - #300

Sunrod is probably the best answer, overall. Let's see what it reveals.

@Rakaydos, I know, I meant that Ghost (Corpse?) Light ritual could sort of duplicate the Light cantrip. :P