A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone OOC I

OK, big turn for team monster there, think I got everything but let me know if I didn't.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Roll to not fall in the pit:
    (1d20)[16](16)
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Sathris, does a flanking bonus get one of those attacks to hit? I just realized I forgot to move Grigor, but I believe you already have CA. Will make IC post shortly from comp, on phone atm.
    Nopes. :c bumps it up to a 23, which is probably only a few off but rolling a 2 is just too awful. :P

I assume you took into account the +1 against bursts from Kriv's Word? Other than that I don't have any sort of resist poison or -- oh. Hah. I take your point, I think. :P That's almost ironic.

I'm putting the damage taken in the sheet unless you're thinking of something else that would work without having prepared it before the attack though.

I'll make the OA in the IC thread just to make it easy to reference.
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-03-20 at 10:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    A few things to consider though: first, they make rather convenient Dominate targets - the hags don't know that they aren't PCs, while they're dominated you don't have to play chess against yourself, and you don't have to pretend they don't have Dominate powers.
    I didn't throw dominates at them because I have no idea how much they might skew things, since they get hit more easily, have less chance of resisting, etc. and they're not really budgeted for on either side.

Second, you could always give us control of them in combat. Having to play chess against yourself doesn't really fit super well with a focus on challenge either. You can't really avoid knowing what you're planning on both sides - I don't doubt for a second that you're trying to act as if you don't - but it's certainly more difficult to do that way.
    It's not really playing chess against myself - the NPCs act in accordance with their character. Example: Sailor 1 right now is scared, but he's a Great Hope sailor and thus will do his best to stay in the fight. He might hesitate or be cautious, try to stay with an ally, but he's not going to hide or run away either. Grigor, meanwhile, is more daring and will go for flanks, move off on his own and so on, but at the same time might run if he feels the battle is lost - he's still got the sailors on the beach to watch out for and someone has to report back, etc. Do you feel like their presence has been detracting from the two battles they've been in so far?

Retraining solves the problem of our disagreement, and as an unrelated bonus makes it more useable against solos and such - I didn't dare use it against the hydra for example, because it's too big of a power to risk an immunity or bonus save nullifying it.
    In the end it's up to you, but it's a cool power with some out of combat use too and I guarantee that this sort of issue won't pop up often. See below for a bit more explanation.

Uhh let's see, because I forgot to slip this in elsewhere I'll just throw it here: I never meant you should play these enemies suboptimally because of Dominate, I just realized out loud that a Dominate (save ends) could take a player out for a few days potentially which is hardly ideal. I'd say you should use it sparingly in encounter design, but what's done is done, as it were. If we somehow managed to gain complete control of your side of the board we wouldn't hold back. :P
    I'd rather make an adjustment than have someone not have fun for a few turns of failing their save. On the flip side, 4E is rife with status effects that seriously slow down players - a melee character who's slowed, for example, might have just as little to do as a dominated one. So I'll just have to try and find a balance.

As for dailies, well, that either merits more discussion or for more examples to develop organically I think. My gut instinct is that they should always do exactly what they say. (We can get into why, if you'd like.) That isn't the same as "it always works out" though. If, for example, instead of attacking the crone one of her allies had used a slide (or hell, if Sven picked her up and threw her clear. It's okay for DMs to improv too) to keep her out of my reach while I was restrained, it wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest - not even if I failed my saving throw and the crone made hers.
    I may not have been entirely clear here - I meant something like what you said. Dailies (and encounter powers and everything else) will almost always work just like they say, but whether or not that's helpful will be variable (I say almost because there might be some corner cases - for example, powers underwater. Still slowly trying to get some rules for that I'm happy with). From my perspective, both as a player and a GM, it's somewhat annoying to see other players start relying on dailies as crutches. For instance in an irl game I play in we have a barbarian with Silver Phoenix Rage who always drops it at the start of a big encounter and then goes merrily along, confident he won't die. Now as the GM I would maybe throw a twist in there once or twice - he takes ability damage which it doesn't heal, or they go to the positive energy plane where over-healing means you explode in a burst of life energy or something. So most of the time it's fine but every so often there's a twist. In this particular case, the hag still takes a good chunk of damage from the AoE so she's not getting off free there, and I thought it would be a cool way to drive home that they're clever and dangerous.

Be careful not to fall into the trap of "only casters can do cool things" though.
    If it makes you feel better, I have played about half a dozen 4E characters. 3 Fighters, a Warlord, a Monk, a Barbarian, and a Paladin. I would say I'm not leaning towards favoring casters too heavily.

That being said, I encourage cool ideas like blowing the smoke away, but coming up with them is on you. For example one of you could try using your cloak to wave it away or something without magic. But I'm not going to be like "Hey, you could use your cloak!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    None of the other NPCs have reacted to my IC tactical commentary...
    I don't recall you giving this sailor instructions not to come help you, and in the first fight they were busy following their actual commander (Grigor). I don't really feel inclined to go dig up exactly what happened, several pages to comb through in both threads there...in any event, as you develop a relationship with NPCs, work with better-trained troops, grow in repute, etc. people will be more inclined to follow you. These guys met you yesterday.

Furthermore, battles are chaotic and confusing - you may tell an NPC something brilliant, but to him it seems dumb, he can't figure out what you're talking about, might not hear you, or may not have the right temperament to execute the command.

Anyways, hope all that helps for both of you.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

On the flip side, 4E is rife with status effects that seriously slow down players - a melee character who's slowed, for example, might have just as little to do as a dominated one. So I'll just have to try and find a balance.
    Speaking as a melee character who's been dominated once and immobilized twice in this combat...if you can't just mindlessly mash the "Smite" button, it makes you look at your other options and try to work out something creative. Next time I'll bring a molotov cocktail, or something.

Mental note: go shopping for Boots of No Be Immobilized No More.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Speaking as a melee character who's been dominated once and immobilized twice in this combat...if you can't just mindlessly mash the "Smite" button, it makes you look at your other options and try to work out something creative. Next time I'll bring a molotov cocktail, or something.

Mental note: go shopping for Boots of No Be Immobilized No More.
    Hey, one time you had a big mean guy to beat one. And don't you still have Come and Get It? You've also got a Distance Javelin. Unfortunately you used your Magnetic Armor already.

EDIT: In retrospect, I should probably have made that Slowed EonT instead of a SE immobilize. Take your turn accordingly.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-03-21 at 01:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

Draj will delay till after hakka. If the thri-kreen bloodies someone, I may try Spook- forcing fear checks (intimidate -10 vs will) against both bloody targets.

8. - Top - End - #608

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Draj will delay till after hakka. If the thri-kreen bloodies someone, I may try Spook- forcing fear checks (intimidate -10 vs will) against both bloody targets.
    Tactical advise noted.

Posting IC right now~...
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wdwune View Post
    Tactical advise noted.

Posting IC right now~...
    Swiftshot crossbow is a daily power. You've used it at least twice this encounter and I'm pretty sure in previous ones as well now that I think about it.

Minor: Swiftshot Crossbow item power, make a RBA vs Wizened Hag
    [roll0] vs AC (15 base, +2 CA)
    Hit: [roll1] dmg (10 base, +2 stance)
    Minor: Swiftshot Crossbow item power, make a RBA vs Sven
    [roll2] vs AC (15 base, +2 CA)
    Hit: [roll3] dmg (10 base, +2 stance) and I use Sneak of Shadows feat to add [roll4] extra damage

10. - Top - End - #610

Swiftshot crossbow is a daily power. You've used it at least twice this encounter and I'm pretty sure in previous ones as well now that I think about it.
    Nope, it's an Encounter Power. It's from Adventurer's Vault p.79.

EDIT: But you're right, I used twice this encounter (forgot to check it at my sheet). I'll edit my IC post now, and cancel the attack.
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-03-21 at 10:59 AM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Nope, it's an Encounter Power. It's from Adventurer's Vault p.79.
    Dadgum compendium not being updated...~mumble grumble~

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

I'm on an inspection right now - will take my turn in a bit.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, one time you had a big mean guy to beat one. And don't you still have Come and Get It? You've also got a Distance Javelin. Unfortunately you used your Magnetic Armor already.
    I wasn't complaining; I was pointing out that most characters will have a default "I hit the target with THIS", but if you always get to use that power, it's boring ({cough}Ranger Twin Strike{cough}). Eliminating access to that power motivates you to look at what else you can do. My powers are all range 3 or less, so if I couldnt move, I'd use a javelin, or take a second wind, or ....if I'd thought of it ahead of time...pull out the quart of oil, or the bag of marbles, a potion, or something. If I couldn't do anything, it's my fault for not being prepared for the status, not the DM's fault for using it.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

I wasn't complaining; I was pointing out that most characters will have a default "I hit the target with THIS", but if you always get to use that power, it's boring ({cough}Ranger Twin Strike{cough}). Eliminating access to that power motivates you to look at what else you can do. My powers are all range 3 or less, so if I couldnt move, I'd use a javelin, or take a second wind, or ....if I'd thought of it ahead of time...pull out the quart of oil, or the bag of marbles, a potion, or something. If I couldn't do anything, it's my fault for not being prepared for the status, not the DM's fault for using it.
    It's why I have the sword I have. I can throw it :)

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"DEN finds a +1 Gold Star..."

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

"DEN finds a +1 Gold Star..."
    "DEN activates his Ninja module and hurls the star with deadly accuracy..."

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

My turn is going to be a bit heavy, sorry. so many of my powers work better in person than online.

edit: and please don't kill WH yet unless you also want to kill Kriv :small eek:

edit2: Ok, posted my turn. It's awkward, so I will try to spell it out.

My attack (Provoke Overextension) forces GH to attack me with a MBA. I get a +5 bonus to my AC for the purposes of that attack, bringing me to 30 total.

If the basic attack misses, then I want Hakka to make an RBA against GH as a free action, with a +5 bonus to Hakka's damage roll. (the bonuses are from Bravura Presence).

THEN, I have pre-loaded an Immediate Reaction that will trigger if GH hits me on her turn. That will allow me to make an MBA and will allow Sathris to run in and take a standard action with a +2 to damage.

Sound good?
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-03-21 at 10:26 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

18. - Top - End - #618

Have company over so a bit busy. Will do my best not to delay, but will probably not be sufficient.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Forums are back up!

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

While the forums have been down, I've been investigating MapTools to see if it would be worth switching over from the google spreadsheet.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

I've never used it but I'd be happy to try. Would that be used for the tracker too, or just the map?

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

22. - Top - End - #622

Have company over so a bit busy. Will do my best not to delay, but will probably not be sufficient.
    I have been feeling like an idiot for posting this right before the shutdown for days now! 8D

I very briefly tried messing with Maptools for my old skype group, but it didn't play nice with my port configuration and I don't have access to fix that. Wouldn't mind trying again anyway though.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm pretty sure that was aimed at the Green Hag, but please edit it in when you get a shot : )

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Incidentally, I've been steadily working on background for you guys. What are you most interested in? I've had a few questions about which gods are still kicking, and I've been working on a dossier of sorts.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

1. I am a sucker for maps
    2. Since gods seem to be a central theme I'd like to know who is still around and how much of an influence they have over the day to day and the average person's life.
    3. How we fit in, politically speaking (if politics are even really a thing now with the crazy war going on).

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    3. How we fit in, politically speaking (if politics are even really a thing now with the crazy war going on).
    Who is "we" here? Your party? Stormcrows as a whole? Each race?

27. - Top - End - #627

Maps are cool but I really like timelines. ;P Preferably with start and end dates for the two wars. Founding of the city, formation of the stormcrows, you get the idea.

For my part re: politics I'd say we (our squad specifically within the stormcrows. How many are there like us?) and the stormcrows in general.

More on gods is definitely good.

And I owe you a lengthy PM but I have not forgotten. :P

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

OH yes TIMELINES are awesome.

and by "we" I mean our party, or even the larger Stormcrows if you know that. basically how do people react when they see our uniform - happy, sad, angry, confused, etc.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, I've been steadily working on background for you guys. What are you most interested in? I've had a few questions about which gods are still kicking, and I've been working on a dossier of sorts.
    DEN doesn't believe in any gods; yes, I'm aware that doesn't make sense, but DEN has been hit in the head a lot.

Map.
    Timeline.

30. - Top - End - #630

I completely forgot Bravura Presence was a thing. >.>;