A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone OOC I

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    I completely forgot Bravura Presence was a thing. >.>;
    I only remembered it because my weekly FTF character is a warlord.

Incidentally, Kriv, sorry I'm smacking WH, but that's who I have available.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Incidentally, I've been steadily working on background for you guys. What are you most interested in? I've had a few questions about which gods are still kicking, and I've been working on a dossier of sorts.
    Hakka believes not in any gods, but in a hive mind of some sort but who knows; perhaps the thri-kreens' behavior is due to the subtle orders from an alien, nameless, insectoid deity that sends messages to the creatures' subconscious. Politically speaking, Hakka follows the orders of the Stormcrows' authorities because it's his duty as a cluchmate.

I completely forgot Bravura Presence was a thing. >.>;
    It happened me too, about two battles ago, I think.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Somewhat related topic, is anyone craving hardcore ship-scale naval combat? Because while I can do that, I feel it will slow things down a lot.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

I wrote up a full set of rules for airship combat once. /rummage rummage rummage

Spoiler: Airship Skill Challenge
    Show
    Airship Combat

Goal: Evade, destroy or capture the enemy airship

Rules: Can use your turn to aid another player’s turn, but only 1 person can aid in a round and you cannot aid the same person 2 rounds in a row.

Difficulty: Moderate (base DC is 15), must reach victory before failure

Terms of victory:
    Destroy: Reduce the enemy ship to 0 HP or 0 movement
    Evade: Reduce the enemy ship to less than ½ HP or less than ½ movement while having more than ½ HP or more than ½ movement
    Capture: Board enemy’s ship and kill or capture crew & pilot (bonus XP)

Terms of failure:
    Destroy: Have your own ship reduced to 0 HP or 0 movement
    Evade: Have your own ship boarded

Actions: Players may take a standard (attack or skill check), move and minor action each turn.

Attack:
    • As a standard action, a player may attack the enemy airship, enemy crew or enemy pilot on their turn using whatever attacks are in range.

• Special attack: The airship has 3 grappling hooks (range 10, 20 health) that they can fire at the enemy airship. This can be used to pull the airship closer (5 per turn) as a minor action. A grappling line can be cut (20 health) or disabled (Athletics DC 15 or Thievery DC 15) as a standard action. The players cannot evade if any lines are connected between ships.

Movement:
    • After their own ship or crew member has been successfully hit with an attack, any player moving more than ½ of their movement speed must make an Endurance or Acrobatics check (DC 10) to continue, due to the shaking of the airship. Failure on this check stops the player instantly. They can use an action point or standard action to move again, but will have to make a 2nd check.

• Critical success (natural 20) gives the player full movement this turn and +2 to their next Endurance/Acrobatics movement check.

• Critical failure (natural 1) gives the player ½ movement this turn and -2 to their next Endurance/Acrobatics movement check.

Skills

Skill: As a standard action, a player may choose to forgo an attack action to make a skill check. Skill checks will give the players an advantage or give the enemies a disadvantage on the next turn.

Acrobatics:
    • Balance: A player can choose to steady themselves and gain +2 bonus to their next attack roll or next movement check.

• Tightrope: A player can attempt to cross the grappling hook line between the two ships (DC 30). A player who rolls 10-29 can grab the line (Athletics DC 10) and pull themselves back on (Athletics DC 15). A player who rolls below 10 will fall.

Athletics:
    • Jump: A player can attempt to jump from one ship to another. A standing broad jump is roll+mod /10 and a running jump (moving 2 squares before jump) is roll+mod/5. Vertical distance is horizontal distance/4 (example, a running jump with a roll of 24 means 24 feet long and 6 feet high. A standing jump is 12 feet long and 3 feet high). The railing of the ship is 4 feet high.

Bluff:
    • Feint: Once per encounter, a player can coax the pilot or crew into feinting and gain a +5 advantage on the next skill check or a +2 bonus to their next attack roll.

Diplomacy:
    • Encourage: Once per encounter (per player), a player can encourage the pilot or crew to move in a way that is advantageous to the player’s wishes, and gain a +5 advantage on next skill check or +2 bonus to their next attack roll.

Endurance:
    • Solid Footing: A player can choose to steady themselves and gain a +2 bonus to their next attack roll or next movement check.

Insight:
    • Seasoned Fighter: Once per encounter (per player), a player can read the body language of the enemy crew or pilot, and gain a +5 advantage on next skill check or +2 bonus to their airship’s defenses for the next turn.

Intimidate:
    • Bully: Once per encounter (per player), a player can attempt to intimidate their own airship crew (DC 10) or pilot (DC 15) into doing what they want (in place of Diplomacy).

• Threatening Presence: Once per encounter, a player can attempt to intimidate the enemy crew (DC 15) or pilot (DC 20) into surrendering control of the enemy ship.
    Perception:
    • Weaknesses: A player can attempt to locate a weakness on the enemy ship, granting a +2 bonus to their next attack roll by grappling hook.

Thievery:
    Disable Device: A player can disable a grappling hook embedded in the hull of their ship or disable the grappling hook mechanism on the enemy’s ship.

Spoiler: Airship Stats from D&D Compendium
    Show
    Airship
    Gargantuan vehicle
    HP 400 Space 4 squares by 8 squares Cost 85,000 gp
    AC 4; Fortitude 20, Reflex 2
    Speed 0, fly 12 (hover), overland flight 15
    Pilot
    The pilot must stand at a control wheel, typically at the front of the topmost deck of the airship cabin.
    Crew
    In addition to the pilot, an airship requires a crew of five, all of whom use a standard action each round to help control the vessel. Reduce the ship’s speed by 4 for each missing crew
    member. At fly speed 0, the ship is unable to travel and flies out of control.
    Load
    Thirty Medium creatures; twenty tons of cargo.
    Out of Control
    An out-of-control airship moves forward at half speed. Each round, it has a 50% chance of descending. It descends 5 squares for the first 10 rounds it is out of control. After 10 rounds, it descends 10 squares per round. An out-of-control airship that hits the ground after descending more than 20 squares is destroyed.
    Decks
    The airship’s cabin has four decks: an exterior observation platform, the topmost crew deck, a middle deck for passengers, and a lower cargo hold.
    Fragile Propulsion
    For every 50 damage the airship takes, its speed is reduced by 2 squares. At fly speed 0, the ship is unable to travel and floats out of control.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-04-02 at 12:23 AM.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

5. - Top - End - #635

I'm fine with abstracting it. Makes more sense to me than inventing a new game. :P

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm fine with abstracting it. Makes more sense to me than inventing a new game. :P
    This is definitely the direction I'm leaning in, but I wanted to check with you guys

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

This is definitely the direction I'm leaning in, but I wanted to check with you guys
    "Micro-scale Close Action--one player, one sailor!" I'll tell Mark Campbell...

Spoiler: Parenthetical comment
    Show
    (Close Action is a leading Age of Sail wargame, designed by Mark Campbell, in which, ideally, each player controls a single ship. Most other games on the topic require fewer players, with each player controlling several ships--which leads to unrealistic maneuvers.

Abstraction is good.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

8. - Top - End - #638

Sure, we could give it a try.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

1. Working on a time line
    2. Getting a drawing tablet in a few days. This will hopefully result in more cool stuff for you guys

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My laptop is having some serious issues, so posting will be delayed til that's resolved. I'll try to get IC posts up as I can though. OOC is easier than IC stuff.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Incidentally, here's a rough draft timeline to sate you. Dates are Before War and After War

Spoiler
    Show

3250 BW The Virtuous Bond is formed by the Powers of Law and Good, an alliance that recognizes their common ground and advances their two causes concurrently.
    1200 BW The Tranquil Time begins as the Powers of the Virtuous Bond achieve ascendance; though various forces contend against them, civilizations flourish and peace is more common than war.
    500 BW Disagreements break out among the Fey, and the Powers of Law and Good.
    425 BW The Pact of Ruin is made between Powers of Evil and Chaos to overthrow the primacy of the Virtuous Bond
    150 BW Primordials join the Pact of Ruin
    105 BW Outsiders learn of the Pact of Ruin and scheme to invade during the chaos
    70 BW Conflict between Powers of Good and Law escalates as the civilizations of their worshippers begin to struggle, partially instigated by the Pact of Ruin
    43 BW After decades of rising tension, small battles and border raids, the Blessed Imperium declares war on the Rejan Supremacy, igniting hostilities that will engulf the world over the next forty years.
    37 BW Unit DEN is constructed
    7 BW The continuous warfare of the previous decades begins to wind down as the combatants are exhausted
    2 BW The Blessed Imperium is shattered when its heartland is utterly wiped out by an unknown force; the wars are renewed as other nations race to claim what they can of the remnants.
    0 BW Kriv has almost paid off his debt
    0 BW Haramathur is revived, releasing Bazarax the Primordial of Chaos and opening a rift in the Astral Sea
    0 BW The Last War begins with the invasion of the Astral Sea; many Powers on both sides are slain
    0 AW The mortal servants of the Pact of Ruin launch a hundred assaults on the civilizations under the aegis of the Virtuous Bond, overcoming many of the war-weary nations
    0 AW The Outsiders break through and begin an omnicidal campaign against all the planes
    0 AW The Fey retreat from the battles in the Astral Sea, conserving their power to fend off the Outsiders
    0 AW The Primordials take advantage of the abscence of the other Powers and unleash an endless tide of disasters that alter the face of the world and destroy much of what remains of civilization
    0 AW The gods of the Virtuous Bond, faced with ultimate annihilation, begin forming plans to sunder the planes
    0 AW Tarak Godhand lands on Amadi's Rest with a group of refugees
    0 AW The remaining gods of the Virtuous Bond see a chance to save a few of their mortal followers and thereby eventually rejoin the planes. They begin actively protecting Tarak's settlement and sending more refugees there
    1 AW Hakka is born
    1 AW Great Hope is founded, a city of millions of refugees.
    1 AW Draj is born
    2 AW The gods, aided by the Fey, surround Great Hope with the Calm to limit the ability of the Primordials to alter the surrounding area
    2 AW The gods in attempting to separate the planes, instead shatter them. The material world is relatively unaffected by this catastrophe, at first.
    2 AW The Last War is temporarily halted as the gods of evil that didn't escape the Astral Sea before the shattering are killed.
    3 AW Unable to attack directly, the Pact of Ruin pours power through to their surviving mortal devotees and direct them against Great Hope
    4 AW Sathris joins up to defend Great Hope
    5 AW Hakka's adoptive father goes missing
    6 AW Kriv, Hakka, Draj, DEN, and Sathris are formed into a Stormcrow squad and sent to aid a group of minotaur farmers near the city

12. - Top - End - #642

Nice timeline, Nightgaun!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm just gonna feed you guys fluff bits til my laptop is fixed. Takes a while on my phone but whatever.

Please, ask more questions!

The Stormcrows
    The Stormcrows are respected for their bravery and skills, and favored for their able handling of countless unusual tasks. They are also regarded as prone to taking unwise risks and sometimes as unreliable due to working outside ordinary chains of command. Many commanders never quite realize the role a Stormcrow squad in their area is playing until, perhaps, after the battle is won. Generally speaking, though, people are happy to see Stormcrows. They may be less happy to be assigned to help them, since Stormcrows undertake dangerous and distant missions.

Depending on the individual, Stormcrows are admired or obscure, loved or feared. None are scorned - black cloak and lightning pin are certain marks of someone able to survive far beyond the walls of Great Hope. Some become especially well known. Gugnir One-eye, a petty hobgoblin chieftain before he joined the Stormcrows, now serves as Lord of the High Tower, but maintains his position in the Stormcrows. His squad forms an honorary bodyguard and are responsible for the defense of the High Tower. Seleman al-Sharif's group of three is rumored to have been the final end of everything from demon generals to vampire lords; it is said that he can become invisible without magic. Others carve out a role in less openly warlike positions. Erik Silvermind is widely lauded for his talents as a diplomat, and his squad is often sent to make contact or renew bonds with potential allies.

Stormcrow squads are sometimes called on for less savory purposes. Those that would destroy Great Hope ever seek devious and insidious ways to penetrate its defenses, and the Red Confessors are kept busy stamping out schemes against the city. Given their lack of attachments, Stormcrows are often drafted to help with such things, which can cause tension with people who know that Stormcrows serve such a function but don't know why a squad is in their area. Cardinal Anzari leads a particularly large squad that spends much of its time aiding the Red Confessors.

There are somewhere around a hundred squads of Stormcrows on average, usually four to eight members a squad. Turnover is higher than most, but there is a constant stream of new recruits. The overall organization is led by the Council of Crows, seven Stormcrows retired from active service. They give orders, assign new members, and so on. Sometimes they return to the field for missions involving large numbers of Stormcrows or to help with an operation involving more conventional units.

You are all newly promoted to being full Stormcrows, and your squad is on its second mission together. You're an odd lot even within the Stormcrows. An erratic prototype warforged, a foundling Thri-kreen that doesn't follow the Queens, a Gnoll wizard rather than sorcerer, a pirate who somehow became a dragonborn, and a kenku who doesn't flock with rest of his kind. So far you've just been put together because you were all available and nearby.

None of you are well-known or influential yet in your own right. Leader of other units will treat you with respect but not deference until you gain more experience and renown. The rank-and-file might whisper about what your presence might mean and ask about what you've done so far, but won't be overly in awe of you.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

You're an odd lot even within the Stormcrows. An erratic prototype warforged, a foundling Thri-kreen that doesn't follow the Queens, a Gnoll wizard rather than sorcerer, a pirate who somehow became a dragonborn, and a kenku who doesn't flock with rest of his kind. So far you've just been put together because you were all available and nearby.
    "He seems like he should be useful but I really don't know quite how...I'll assign him to the Stormcrows and let them figure it out"
    several iterations later, descending down the chain of command.
    "Blimey, 'ow would I know what 'e's good for? 'E don't fit nowhere, really, so stick 'im in th' Odd Squad."
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-04-05 at 11:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #645

Alright, I'll bite!

I mentioned that Nightgaun7 and I were PMing, and that's been about two things: the lore of my backup character, and some thoughts on fleshing Sathris out more because I'm not really happy with the way I've been playing him so far. I'm about to start a party so I'll post back here with more later, but maybe we can workshop it a bit!

Edit:

Alright!

So, I decided to go Kenku because I wanted to try something completely new to me but I think I overstepped a bit there - doubly so because I knew basically nothing about them beforehand (and.. really found very little about them regardless.) I didn't want to step on the toes of tradition but I also don't really know where tradition is.

In my mind the Kenku community (or the part Sathris originates from) is pretty small - the flock is a few hundred members, with a lot of familial ties between them (though family in the human sense isn't particularly important). The flock cares for hatchlings communally and loyalty to the flock is a huge deal. Sathris has a similar loyalty to his unit. But membership within the flock isn't a given, you also have to prove your worthiness somehow to benefit. Sathris is a bit unusual in that he decided he didn't need the flock so much. I also think of the flock as being very insular - there are absolutely other Kenku doing all sorts of other things with the other races, but there are also those that barely interact with the other races at all. Sathris (was at least meant to be) a product of that - unfamiliar with a lot of cultural things others would take for granted. He's also been living away from the flock for a while he is aware of a lot of things (like for example money) he may not fully understand the need for them. Some of you guys are already playing up "inhuman" really well though and I don't want to do just a worse version of that. >.>

There are a few other things too - having really high Charisma is kind of at odds with the 'curious outsider' approach I wanted to take. I was thinking mild interesting-things-only kleptomania might serve to illustrate a bit of the conflict but it's kleptomaniac rogues are kind of way too cliche and I worry it'd just be annoying.
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-04-08 at 12:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

a pirate who somehow became a dragonborn
    in 4E its the other way around. Halfdragons Dragonborn are born to other dragonborn, before choosing their path in life.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    in 4E its the other way around. Halfdragons Dragonborn are born to other dragonborn, before choosing their path in life.
    Not in this world.

Spoiler: From the Recruitment
    Show

Dragonborn - Mortal followers transformed in the service of the Gods of Good, Dragonborn are doughty warriors and charismatic leaders. Many ships have Dragonborn captains.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, I decided to go Kenku because I wanted to try something completely new to me but I think I overstepped a bit there - doubly so because I knew basically nothing about them beforehand (and.. really found very little about them regardless.) I didn't want to step on the toes of tradition but I also don't really know where tradition is.
    I can do some fleshing out here in a couple of days if you like. Think about the Fey at all? I was going to send you a follow-up PM about it but others might be interested as well.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Not in this world.

Spoiler: From the Recruitment
    Show

Dragonborn - Mortal followers transformed in the service of the Gods of Good, Dragonborn are doughty warriors and charismatic leaders. Many ships have Dragonborn captains.
    Word - it's one of the reasons I picked Dragonborn

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #650

I can do some fleshing out here in a couple of days if you like. Think about the Fey at all? I was going to send you a follow-up PM about it but others might be interested as well.
    Could definitely help. :) I'm still trying to find the time to get a good reply there but I've been thinking about it, and a bit about the mechanics too. No reason you couldn't post the world-lore stuff here but I'd prefer to keep a small bit of mystery for no good reason. :P I could probably get over that.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well my HD should be arriving in anywhere from 2-7 days. Assuming I get it installed without issues, we should be back to full functionality shortly thereafter.

EDIT: Even managed to sneak in an IC post!
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-04-09 at 01:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Well my HD should be arriving in anywhere from 2-7 days. Assuming I get it installed without issues, we should be back to full functionality shortly thereafter.
    That's "hard drive", not "Hit Dice".

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Owwwwwwwww

I'm bleeding out guys.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    Owwwwwwwww

I'm bleeding out guys.
    No worries, that's what we have a healer...oh.

25. - Top - End - #655

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    Owwwwwwwww

I'm bleeding out guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    No worries, that's what we have a healer...oh.
    Hakka could use a double move (and some other tricks) and spend an action point to stabilize Kriv (with a +9 untrained Heal modifier).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656

I think you're giving me Hakka's turn. :P

Also you're tagging me in with Vengance Is Mine, right Meltheim?

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Dos our warlord still have his second wind? Triggering it is easier and more effective than stabilizing him.

28. - Top - End - #658

Good point. I think I'll just wait for Nightgaun's response before coming to rescue our leader.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wdwune View Post
    Good point. I think I'll just wait for Nightgaun's response before coming to rescue our leader.
    Yeah, Hakka is up. My bad

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

YES! As an immediate reaction to me getting hit.

edit: Question - do I get to make a basic attack still, since the trigger was me getting hit (not me taking damage)

Trigger: An enemy hits you
    Effect: You make a basic attack against the triggering enemy, and one ally within 5 squares of you can move his or her speed and make a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy as a free action.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-04-10 at 11:50 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk