Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone IC I

After a cursory glance over the intersection, Draj pulled out his Map of Unseen Lands and began to fiddle with the arcane structure, trying to extend the range somewhat, to get a better idea where Sven might have gone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (d20+5)[10](15)
    Arcana: (d20+20)[12](32)
    Dungeoneering: (d20+10)[2](12)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hakka

The thri-kreen shakes his head. "Sven track gone," he says as his mandibles cackle in frustration.

He inspects the bifurcation to see which way is most probable Sven would have being dragged into.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I haven't rolled a Nature check in the cave, so here it goes!
    Nature: (1d20+16)[23]
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Draj
    Show

You sense residual arcane power similar to that you felt emanating from the treants. It seems that some creature afflicted by it has passed through the cave, and you feel perhaps that it went down the winding passage to the left.

In addition, you can feel two distinct sources of magical power. The stronger is somewhere to the right, and its presence seems, if not benign, at least not actively hostile. The other, perhaps the goal or home of whatever was touched by the magic you sensed earlier, is a weaker but darker power. It seems twisting and corrosive to your mind.

Spoiler: Hakka
    Show

Although you can't be sure, it seems that the path to the right is not entirely natural.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-13 at 01:53 PM.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

4. - Top - End - #154

Hakka

After examining the two paths, Hakka comes to a conclusion. "One's instinct tells that right path be made by someone." He looks at the other path. "Left path be natural, but suspicious."

He turns to Kriv. "One can briefly scout one path and recover trail. If no trail found, then clutch follow the other..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Kriv nods silently at Hakka, then signs quiet and observe, two things Hakka does well.

Spoiler
    Show
    How much room do we have to maneuver in here? I mean, Kriv is a relatively bulky guy.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

"The left path has the source of the corrupting power we sensed earlier, and something affected by the power went that way recently. if we wish to save the woodcutter, we would best be served by making haste in that direction. However... I think I would like to check out the other fork on my way back. I sence... something interesting."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN has heard enough to make a decision; he advances to the left, weapon ready.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

8. - Top - End - #158

Sathris

Seeing the team starting to move in opposite directions, Sathris makes a quick decision and joins Hakka on the right. He couldn't leave the Thri-Kreen without support in case something happened. The two would just have to make the recon quick so they could catch up with the rest of the group before danger found them again.

Show
    Any ideas on how we can communicate without attracting the attention of bad things? All I've got is using a rope or two with an end held by each group that we could tug a few times to mean "you need to come to us immediately."

9. - Top - End - #159

Hakka

The thri-kreen nods at Sathris and briefly waves one of his four forelimbs inviting the kenku rogue to join him at the recon of the right path. In the process, he draws his 50-ft rope and offers one extreme to Sathris.

Once done, he proceeds down the tunnel, slowly.

Show

Stealth check using both, items and Ambush Expertise. I move 2 squares at most, to ensure the maximum effectiveness of the skill check.
    Stealth: (1d20+17)[19] (17 base, +1 item)

Ambush Expertise gives Sathris (and any one who makes a Stealth check) a +2 bonus on his next Stealth check.

Also, a Perception check: (1d20+14)[30]

EDIT: Very perceptive, but not very stealthy.

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-01-15 at 12:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160

Sathris

Sathris pulls out his own rope and ties one end of it to Hakka's, then passes the coil to Kriv. "Remember, two pulls to hurry back, four if you're out of rope. We'll be quick." Ducking under the knot where the two ropes are joined, he joins his squadmate down the tunnel.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+21)[31]
    I almost wish there was a skill check to tying the knot just so I could claim my Mariner bonus. >.>
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-01-15 at 01:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Sathris and Hakka
    Show

As you advance along your tunnel, you can hear a distant sound. It's steady and soft, like heavy rain outside the window.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The remaining members of the group go a short way down the other branch.

Spoiler: Kriv, Draj, DEN
    Show

The path you're taking widens bit by bit. As you reach the end of the rope, you notice a broken fragment of stalactite on the ground.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-16 at 02:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Hakka

Once the rope reaches his limits, Hakka turns to Sathris and signs wait to him as he lets him hold the rope.

Sathris then moves towards the sound of water falling, but always mantaining Sathris on his line of sight.

Show

Hakka will explore a lithe further, but without getting farther from Sathris' line of sight.

Stealth: (1d20+17)[19]
    Perception: (1d20+14)[16]

Also, the relevant knowledge check to see if I know about the sound of water. Could there be an underground waterfall? How far is it?

Dungeoneering: (1d20+9)[17]
    Nature: (1d20+16)[18]

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Hakka
    Show
    Hakka clambers down the steep slope and at the bottom finds a more level tunnel, presumably heading in the direction of whatever the faint noise is. Without going out of the light shed by Sathris' sunrod he can't determine what the noise is for sure, but an underwater waterfall or river is possible. A small bat flits past, apparently disturbed by his presence.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-16 at 01:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

Hakka

The thri-kreen hunter stops, then turns to Sathris and, if necessary, heads back silently to him up to a distance where the kenku can see his hand signs.

He signs rope, pull four, wait, and come.

Show

If Sathris can understand, Hakka's telling him something like: "We need more rope, so pull four times so that the others can add more. Once they're done, come with me."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Sathris

The kenku shakes his head and beckons his ally close so they can speak.

"We must not spend too much time searching, Sven may still live if we hurry. Let's join the others. We all can explore after Sven is secured." The rogue then started following the rope, re-coiling it on his way back to the others.

17. - Top - End - #167

Hakka

Hakka nods and heads back accompanying Sathris where the others are.

"There be bats and underground river, but no signs of Sven," he quietly reports to Kriv.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The kenku and thri-kreen hurry back to their allies and report what little information they gleaned. After gathering their rope and reordering themselves, the Stormcrows march on into the darkness.

The route they follow has numerous small crevices along it, and in one or two places other tunnels lead off, but they all seem too small for Sven to have easily walked through. Fortunately, the stalactites and stalagmites are few and small, and the tunnel has but a gentle declines as it winds along.

Eventually, small pinpricks of light appear in the darkness ahead. As you approach, the source is clear - small patches of some sort of fungus or moss, with a spot of luminescence in the middle of each little circle. The little lights appear more frequently and in larger clusters as the group moves along. Eventually, the darkness is only as deep as that of a moonlit night, and you hear a faint thrumming.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana may reveal something about the luminescent growth - DC 25

A while after that, the thrumming becomes more distinct, resolving into periodic noises that sound like waves dashing against a rocky beach. What seems to be actual sunlight is seen bouncing off the walls of the tunnel ahead. It also glints from the ripples in a shallow layer of water, and you surmise that the cave has a mouth near sea level, which you are approaching.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Spoiler: Kriv, Draj, DEN
    Show

The path you're taking widens bit by bit. As you reach the end of the rope, you notice a broken fragment of stalactite on the ground.
    Looks freshly broken off? Any blood or other markings on it?

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+11)[12](23)
    Dungeoneering (1d20+6)[19](25)
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The stalactite looks freshly broken, but there's no blood or hair that would indicate what broke it.

Spoiler: DEN
    Show

Perception: You notice a very faint track of some sort of large humanoid, just being washed away by the incoming tide.
    Dungeoneering: This looks like it might lead to the sort of cave favored as a den by some amphibious creatures.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-16 at 09:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Nodding in understanding of Hakka's discovery, Kriv motions the group forward down the other wing. As they approach the bioluminescent fungi, Kriv nudges Draj. "What do you make of this stuff? I traded with a Tiefling who had something similar once, but he never mentioned where he got it."

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Whatever Kriv may have seen before, the substance before Draj looks like nothing he knows of. It seems to have been altered by similar powers to those affecting the treants, and these patches of moss seem to be eating the darkness around them.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-17 at 05:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Sathris

Staring for a moment at the strange flora, Sathris shrugs and presses on toward the water's edge. "If a trader sold it, it won't kill us... Sven is further ahead." As an afterthought, he picks up a rock and scrapes some of the glowing fungus into his belt pouch while he waits for the others.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavran View Post
    Sathris
    "If a trader sold it, it won't kill us."
    "Unit Sathris, your IF THEN statement does not resolve to a logical TRUE value. This unit recommends to avoid contamination by unknown biological agents while in a potential combat situation."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

"DEN has the right of it, mate. Just . . . be careful. It could be worth something, but if your feathers fall out you'll look ridiculous." Kriv says, the last meant to lighten the mood somewhat as the party continues to search for Sven. "Let's press on. Every minute we dally is a minute the lumberjack could be getting eaten."

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The Stormcrows move forward, and the tunnel opens onto a reasonable sized cave with a mouth on the sea. Perhaps threescore yards across at the widest point, and twice that long, with a high ceiling. There are scraps and skeletons from what appear to be seals, and the first sign of Sven - a shoe, caught in some muck near the edge of the cave, where the tide is now rising fast. Beyond the shoe you see another tunnel leading back up, and it seems that this might be where Sven has gone.

Spoiler
    Show

The light blue water does not pose a problem for movement
    The medium blue water is thigh-high and counts as difficult terrain
    The dark blue water is Depth 1. You will be swimming if you enter these squares.

Spoiler: Hakka, DEN
    Show

In a moment's pause at the mouth of the tunnel you've been following, you see several giant bats hanging motionless among the stalactites over the water. They appear to be asleep for now.

Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-18 at 12:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN

The combat machine gestures with his weapon so the others can see: "Bats." He moves straight ahead until the water is thigh deep; being an aquatic unit, water doesn't bother him.

Spoiler: Contingency: Bats
    Show
    If the bats attack, DEN will use his gouge to scoop water into the air; that should confuse the bats.

28. - Top - End - #178

Hakka

The thri-kreen hunter nods and, as DEN points out one group of bats, Hakka readies his crossbow and aims at the group of bats while he moves carefully towards the shoe (and the tunnel).

Show

Moving towards the tunnel where Sven went and scout ahead.
    Stealth: (1d20+17)[20]
    Perception: (1d20+14)[20]

Ready an action:
    Rapid Shot if the flock of bats wake up to attack.

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-01-18 at 12:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

The Dragonborn closes his eyes briefly, and a soft blue light erupts from his shield. He takes a step on the surface of the water and then another, walking across as if it were solid ground. "Stick to the edge if possible" he directs the others, while he himself walks out to stand next to DEN. "Bats eh? I doubt they took Sven, but they could be a danger nonetheless." Kriv indicates the route the group should take, pointing them toward where Hakka has already made his way.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As Hakka moves forward, attention split between bats and shoe, DEN notices a small wake moving through the waves towards the cave, and beneath the surface of the water a dark and spreading shape moving fast.

In seconds the thing is within the cave and as it reaches the shallows, several heads rise out of the water. Snakelike heads with long fangs - perhaps two feet from the orbit of one eye to the other - on powerful, serpentine necks. Its scaly hide is banded black and blue, and thick plates descend the back of each neck.

It surges forward, and you can see a snakelike body undulating back and forth beneath the waves. As it comes in from the deeper water, the beast seamlessly moves to gliding over the rocks and muck of the shallows. Its four heads weave from side to side, hissing menacingly as it closes.

Spoiler
    Show

Note that IC you don't actually know what this thing is.

Initiative:
    Sathris
    Hakka
    Sea Hydra
    DEN
    Kriv
    Draj

So Sathris and Hakka can act, and then the hydra acts, and then you can all act.

Roll Perception.