Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [BITPR2] Extra Episode 5: What Goes Around, Comes Around

[Mortal World]
    Anak Krakatau

It is a day much like any other. Its significance is to two people alone: a man, who also happens to be a god, and another man, who also happens to be a monster. It is a day planned days before, an arrangement struck after a meeting of the two factions they represented. It is the monster that arrives first, although perhaps this is only what it seems. Appearance and reality are very different for the two who meet here today. One deceives cunning deception, guile, and wit, revealing only what he chooses to those he deems worthy. The other misleads through absolute honesty, even when he does not mean to.

Jehoel Yurius, the Primera Espada, awaits Setsurou Hishikawa, a man who defies explanation. He is currently hundreds of meters in the air above the volcano of Anak Krakatau, which is in the middle of a minor eruption. Lava can be seen swirling below, and a large cloud of ash wefts high into the air, alternately enveloping and exposing the Hollow. He seems unperturbed by it.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2013-12-12 at 01:27 AM. Reason: I CAN COUNT
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BITPR2] Extra Episode 5: What Goes Around, Comes Around

When Setsurou appears, as with everything he does, it's seemingly out of nowhere. As per his custom, he is wearing a different hat - though fedoras are most definitely his favorite, he has quite the collection. This time it's a black beret.

He's also holding a small portable fan. It's an item for joking, of course - the truth is he's no less disturbed by the local temperature than Jehoel is.

"You pick the most interesting places for a chat. Is it a coincidence you tend to pick places with temperature extremes?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #3

Jehoel turns to look at Setsurou as the Shinigami arrives, nodding and almost-smiling in greeting. As always, Setsurou can easily tell that every action taken by Jehoel that so much as hints at emotion is scripted; carefully staged and shown only at the Hollow's will, with a level of skill that is decent, but hardly impossible to see through even for the untrained. For Setsurou, it is child's play.

"I prefer mountains. They change and vanish at a much slower pace than cities. Temperature means nothing to me; I have not felt cold or heat in a very long time."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

It's not as if the effort is not appreciated. It is, in fact, rather refreshing for the spy to be able to talk to someone who uses much the same dissimulation as he does, even if for completely different reasons and at a different level.

"That's actually an answer I was... not quite expecting. I thought someone as old as you wouldn't have any particular tastes in relation to change itself."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #5

Jehoel shrugs.

"I have no real yearning for the past, but there is nothing quite as awkward as trying to arrange a meeting in a city that no longer exists. After that, I've stuck to geological features."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

"Figures your preference is based on practicality." Setsurou noted with no surprise whatsoever. "Officially, I'm here as a diplomatic envoy again, even though there's nothing much to discuss."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

"Sentimentality fades through the years." Jehoel convincingly fakes a bit of sadness. "Even if we try to hold on to it."

He shrugs.

"Regardless, as you said, there is little official to discuss. When you extracted this promise of me, you asked three things: to know everything about me, to teach you how I discerned your identity, and a game of Go, no?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

"Very much so. You'd be surprised how much one can learn about a person's way of thinking from a simple tactical simulation such as this.

Not that I expect much in ways of a surprise, but I guess it could still be well worth the time."

Setsurou silently evokes his extradimensional space Bakudou and pulls a pair of chairs, a table (with the board drawn on it) and a bag of playing pieces.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Jehoel sits down at the conjured table, allowing Setsurou to set up.

"As I mentioned previously, my past is...impractically extensive. While we play the game, I will give you up to twenty questions. Once we finish, I will teach you what I know of deduction."

He tents his fingers.

"Unless, of course, you have a better idea."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2013-12-12 at 02:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"Do you know how artists work with limits?" Setsurou replies as he sets the board up.

"The simple answer is that we don't. We either impose the limits ourselves or take our time tiptoeing around the edges. Or we crush them with a sledgehammer.

For practicality's sake, it would help if you could fill in the blanks on the file we've got on you. No one is going to read a novel on a single individual, no matter how much of a hard-on for details they've got. It should be more than enough if you could just touch up on any major events in your life as an Arrancar, or since your first contact with Soul Society.

Of course... any information you have on the Ghost King is also appreciated. Our foremost experts on the subject are dead or crazy or both."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

"Grant me a favor, and start with the questions. I will give you a more general outline later."

Looks like he's not going to budge about this.

"Forgive me for my...philistinism, but art was never my strong suit."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

"Hence my short lesson in the matter. You'll forgive my pedantism."

Setsurou makes the opening move. Simple. Classic. Elegant.

"Your first confirmed contact with Soul Society dates back to XX of YY of the year ZZZZ. Unconfirmed sightings date all the way back to ZZZZ-1, however. You've told me how you took Las Noches from the hands of Dainichi but you never really told me your reason for doing so. You're certainly strong enough to live out on your own in Hueco Mundo. What turned you to politics - to a central role such as the one you took?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Jehoel responds. Based on this first piece, he will likely be employing a very aggressive strategy.

"My discontent with the King had been growing for quite some time. I was increasingly unimpressed with an individual I once considered to be interesting. Worthy of helping. The breaking point was when I met Mikael Esaja Rautiainen, a untrained Fullbringer from Finland. I found him interesting, and...it moved something inside of me. Aggravated my discontent until it had exceeded my apathy."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2013-12-12 at 08:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Setsurou's response is much more mild by comparison. He doesn't seem to trust his opponent to strike blindly - but rather in an efficient, almost brutal manner.

Still, his reaction seems to be the strategic equivalent of "Let's see where he's going with this."

"What was it in this Mikael that changed your way of thinking?

Even Fullbringers tend not to live much longer than regular humans. By our accounts, you took over Las Noches quite a few decades ago. So I'm left wondering how long ago this took place."

He doesn't seem to make much effort in not phrasing this as a question.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

It's still a little early to judge Jehoel's overall plan. His second move is consistent with the original projection of aggression, however. When Setsurou finishes speaking, Jehoel holds up three fingers, for three questions.

"I seized control of Las Noches the day before I offered peace to the Soul Society."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

"You're kidding. Wait, you don't do that...

You still haven't answered my previous question, though."

Setsurou's response, by contrast, is more than a little odd, though not entirely out of the ordinary.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Jehoel continues as he began. Direct, efficient, and aggressive.

"In time. Continue your questions."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

"Alright. So, you overthrew Dainichi the same day you made your peace offer to Soul Society."

Setsurou's strategy begins to show. At first, it's just a piece here and there. But his counters begin to get more diverse. More sophisticated. Every now and then he'll pull a move that seems to make no sense whatsoever; and later on that move will make sense.

"How long did it take you to organize such an action? Sure, cut the head and the body dies is a simple and efficient enough strategy, but you would still need to get through his right and left arms, so to speak, unless you had an arrangement with said right and left arms first, but that doesn't seem your style. You're too frank."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

As time goes on, something becomes clear: Jehoel isn't that good. He's a perfectly competent player, even well above average, perhaps. But it is obvious that Go is not his game. He is very intelligent and clearly has some experience, but that is the limit of his ability. Setsurou's victory becomes more and more obvious, but Jehoel does not waver from his strategy.

"I had no previous arrangements. The coup itself was an animalistic trial by combat; Dainichi Nyoria could not afford to ignore my challenge unless he looked weak in front of the city. The difficulty was after Dainichi Nyoria's death. Hollows fall into two categories: those who respect strength, and those who wish to be more than they are. The former, obviously, were no problem. The latter were the two most loyal of Dainichi Nyoria's followers. His...oddity among our race attracted those two as well as myself. However, they decided that they found my coup acceptable once I outlawed murder within the city, and began emphasizing teamwork and unity in the inhabitants."

Spoiler
    Show

Questions asked: 4
    Questions answered: 3

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

As kind players are wont to do with their less skilled peers, Setsurou begins to give some leeway. He's good enough to pretend it's on his own merit, though whether Jehoel cares for this is a different matter altogether.

"I suspected as much. I'm beginning to notice a trend in your behavior in that regard...

You keep things simple and straightforward. I like that. The more complex a system is, the more ways it can be exploited - but the simpler a system is, the less it can account for. Your offer to Soul Society illustrates this perfectly. You gave them a binary choice and a time limit, nothing more, nothing less, and they were so busy considering treachery that they ran like headless chickens almost the entire time.

I believe that as long as you are, so to speak, leading Las Noches, then we don't need to worry about treachery - not initiated from you, at least.

There's still one question then, though. What happens when you step off? Assuming the Ghost King has been dealt with at that point, of course, since I don't see you bowing to him."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Interestingly, in response to Setsurou's lenience, Jehoel begins playing more recklessly, decreasing his own level of skill. Huh.

"Until now, I've never had much need or interest in dealing with more complex scenarios. Ultimatums and binaries are simpler to deal with, and less difficult to create. It also makes trickery and deception more difficult for both sides. I have little tolerance for attempts to gain advantage through exploitation of rules and technicalities...and I've always benefited from the ability to ignore such when I desire."

He nods at Setsurou's assertion.

"It is unlikely that I will do so."

He places another piece on the board, this one obviously out of position.

"I do not know what the future will bring. I have no immediate intentions to forfeit my position as Espada; if I ever do, it will be years, possibly decades or centuries from now. I prefer to keep my plans fluid; it is best to have a number of contingencies, as there is no way to know what time will bring."

Spoiler
    Show

Questions asked: 5
    Questions answered: 4

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Setsurou does his level best to extend the gameplay for as long as it will go. Surely he can't fool Jehoel for long by pretending he's gaining an advantage, but the game is turning quite enjoyable for the spy, all told.

Not that he intends to give it up.

He does take note of the piece, but says nothing yet.

"Your intentions notwithstanding, you did tell me you don't intend to run the city for as long as you'll live. That you only intend to keep hold of it until you 'teach' your fellow Espada to run it properly.

I ask you what happens then because, if you truly ARE seeking to build lasting peace... well, I imagine you're planning beyond the moment your control ceases. That's what my question truly referred to."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

For every increment Setsurou goes easy on him, Jehoel correspondingly becomes more reckless and aggressive. Even once his moves fall into the category of blatant stupidity, he takes the game with the same seriousness as before.

The piece wasn't important. Just like any other.

"Teach, perhaps, is the wrong word. I want to fundamentally change the way that our two people view each other. I want to see Arrancar and Shinigami regard each other as allies by default, until betrayal would be unthinkable to all but the most vile. Once that has been accomplished, I intend to disengage from the city. From there, I will rest for a while, then resume wandering. I have no real plans. I simply wish to live my life in a way that grants me contentment."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, not entirely. Part of what you will be required to do includes teaching.

I feel that the threat of the Ghost King will serve well in this goal. Nothing unites two former enemies like a common goal. It's a relatively short-term one, however.

I sincerely doubt he'll stay dormant for long - though as far as we know, he's still imprisoned.

Any ideas what his next moves may be - besides freeing himself?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Jehoel is silent for a few seconds when Setsurou asks this question.

"No. Once he is free, I cannot be sure how he will react. The world he knew is dead; how he chooses to adapt to the new one remains to be seen. I would not be surprised by an attempt at vengeance, or an effort to seize control of Las Noches. But he is a formidable individual indeed. I simply cannot say for certain what he intends."

As Setsurou has probably noticed, Jehoel reflexive displays of emotion have become less and less prominent over the course of the conversation. He is putting on less of a show.

Spoiler
    Show

Questions asked: 7
    Questions answered: 6

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"When the time comes, I know you will not join him.

But will you help us fight him?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Jehoel makes another move silently.

"Next question."

Spoiler
    Show

Questions asked: 8
    Questions answered: 6

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Funny he didn't want to answer that.

"What do you consider your foremost driving force?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Or did he?

"Absolute, unrelenting boredom. I have seen the entire world many times over. I have met thousands of people. I have seen all that it is within my capacity to find. And I can find no more. I have seen so many natural wonders they no longer move me. People are largely the same; the rare exceptions are so difficult to find, and usually so short lived, that they cannot relieve me for long. The cycles of the world change, but do so slowly, and always return to the same point. If I can find no way to live happily in this world, then what choice do I have but to try to shatter it beyond recognition?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

"And what have you tried to create, in the meantime?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show