Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Balors and Demon Lords (D&D)

Putting this here because the D&D editions are spread across three sub-forums. Balors are treated as being the highest powered none-individual demons, meaning that they are the most powerful demons that look like they are similar to each other rather than the grab-bag of Demon Lord and Lady parts.

Each demon lord/lady is above them, and several of them have entourages. But which ones have what doesn't seem to ever get touched on, nor why the Balors bow down the limited number of demon lords when there are so many layers of the abyss they could abscond to personally.

Why would a chaotic evil being follow someone else when they do not have to, and how many Balors can there possibly be floating around?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Balors and Demon Lords (D&D)

Well, the 2e monster manual stated that there is only a limited number of Balors. I believe it was 9.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Why would a chaotic evil being follow someone else when they do not have to, and how many Balors can there possibly be floating around?
    there are actually several reasons a chaotic evil creature might follow someone else, the simplest to explain are as follows.

they choose to: chaotic doesn't mean they won't listen or have loyalty to something it simply means they refuse to have their freedoms restricted. give them a strong enough leader or enough benefits to rally behind and they'll follow like any other alignment.

they're forced to: evil civilizations are generally big on using power to keep others in line, being chaotic doesn't make someone immune to a serve or die situation and even a chaotic character might see the upside to joining a highly powerful individual's service when they're on the rise.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Balors bow for the same reason that any group of Chaotic Evil entities has an organizational structure, because the Demon Lords are strong enough to force them to bow.

The Abyss is notoriously riven with infighting, power plays, and a lack of discipline. A Demon Lord's army is however many lesser demons they can force into submission and however many lesser demons those demons can force into submission and so on down the line. Every higher ranked demon ensures that the level immediately below it is riven with internal fighting so that it can't unite against them (not to mention that no demon trusts any other demon to actually stick to an agreement once they have the power to break it).

Ruling demons makes herding cats look trivial, that is the downside of trying to rule inherently chaotic creatures.

About all you can honestly count on with demons is that 1) they are batguano insane and 2) they are sadistic little pricks who will always choose whichever option measures highest on the kilonazi scale.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

There are Thousands of Demon Lords (Some of which are just stronger then normal Balors) and countless Balors. The Abyss is infinite with an infinite number of demons being spawned by it's whims.

As mentioned Balors obey because Demon Lords are stronger then them and force them to obey. Graz'zt is the most subtle of the demon lords and even he has to brute force it a lot of the time. And while not common some Demons are just straight up loyal. Graz'zt's Majordomo Verin for example is chaotic evil and a demon lord on his own merits but he has sworn to serve Graz'zt and would never betray him. (When Graz'zt was trapped on the Material Plane for a while Verin took charge and made sure everything ran smoothly while he was gone and when Graz'zt came back Verin just handed the reins back to him with out even being asked.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    There are Thousands of Demon Lords (Some of which are just stronger then normal Balors) and countless Balors. The Abyss is infinite with an infinite number of demons being spawned by it's whims.

As mentioned Balors obey because Demon Lords are stronger then them and force them to obey. Graz'zt is the most subtle of the demon lords and even he has to brute force it a lot of the time. And while not common some Demons are just straight up loyal. Graz'zt's Majordomo Verin for example is chaotic evil and a demon lord on his own merits but he has sworn to serve Graz'zt and would never betray him. (When Graz'zt was trapped on the Material Plane for a while Verin took charge and made sure everything ran smoothly while he was gone and when Graz'zt came back Verin just handed the reins back to him with out even being asked.)
    While it is called infinite, I don't think it is true infinity. The plane itself never ends on any given side and demons are perpetually and infinitely spawned at totally arbitrary rates, so demons are always approaching infinity in number, but there is an actual number at any given second, right? (Even if that number is constantly in flux and always unimaginable high.)
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    While it is called infinite, I don't think it is true infinity. The plane itself never ends on any given side and demons are perpetually and infinitely spawned at totally arbitrary rates, so demons are always approaching infinity in number, but there is an actual number at any given second, right? (Even if that number is constantly in flux and always unimaginable high.)
    The Abyss goes on forever layer after layer some infinite some not, almost all infested with Demons.

While it may not a be a true infinity it might as well be. If you kill a demon 10 more of the same type will have probably already popped up in the Abyss. Billions of Demons die everyday (mostly from infighting) but the billions lost are outnumbered by the new ones spawned from the Abyss. If each layer in the Abyss spawned one demon a day that would still be an infinite number of them.

Honestly if the Demons were not always infighting they would have taken over or destroyed everything.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2013-12-13 at 06:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

I'd like to see a campaign where the PCs single-handedly manage to DESTROY the entire Abyss. Think of how that would change the face of the universe. It would probably make things better for it. But then, certain spellcasters would be deprived of being able to summon Demons and we can't have that. Stupid demons. I wish they'd all just die already.
    And then, there's the Devils...

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by InQbait View Post
    I'd like to see a campaign where the PCs single-handedly manage to DESTROY the entire Abyss. Think of how that would change the face of the universe. It would probably make things better for it. But then, certain spellcasters would be deprived of being able to summon Demons and we can't have that. Stupid demons. I wish they'd all just die already.
    that would be the kind of reality altering event that kills any stability in a setting. think about it, if a plane of existence so heavily rooted in its ways as the abyss gets destroyed EVERY other plane will be freaking out about being next. not just the "bad" ones but the "good" ones too, if a good aligned group can crush the abyss an evil one can do the same to a good aligned plane. you'd have mass paranoia, gods up in arms over their creations being so thoroughly threatened.. it would not be a pleasant thing for the adventurers.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Planescape deals in such things and it would be all but impossible. You'd have to destroy every chaotic evil creature in existence. On an infinite number of prime worlds. Then you have to stop everyone else from even imagining the existence of chaotic evil. Because as soon as a single mortal somewhere believes that a thing like the abyss could exist, it would come back into existence.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

I'd like to see a campaign where the PCs single-handedly manage to DESTROY the entire Abyss.
    1. That would end the Blood War and let Asmodeus take a huge smelly dump on all existence (especially the gods for throwing him into hell).

2. IIRC, the dnd universe was formed out of the Abyss, and it probably does something really important in terms of the cosmology.

3. It's not possible as far as I know.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-12-13 at 01:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Well, the 2e monster manual stated that there is only a limited number of Balors. I believe it was 9.
    It was that there were at least 24 Balors known to exist with no upward cap on how many could potentially exist (I had the book on hand).

As to the notion that Balors are the mightiest demon the FC1 mentions that Molydeus are more dreaded than Balors for whatever that's worth

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

furious Re: Balors and Demon Lords (D&D)

Wtf? The DnD universe was formed out of the Abyss? That ain't right.
    As for Asmodeus, I think all the combined might of the gods could defeat him.
    While we're at it, how about Hell gets destroyed right after the Abyss?
    Make the universe a better place! Screw balance

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Wtf? The DnD universe was formed out of the Abyss? That ain't right.
    There are a bunch of different cosmologies and creation myths for dnd, and that was one of them. My google-fu fails me, so I'll just recount it myself.

Basically, that particular creation myth held that the whole universe was chaos (i.e. the abyss) for a while, until a portion of it calmed/cooled down long enough to allow law (and the rest of the multiverse) to form. There was no good or evil at that time, just law and chaos. The gods liked law, and fought chaos to defend it. Eventually, they got tired of fighting chaos, and wanted to screw around in their world(s). So they appointed the general Asmodeus to continue the fight against the Abyss, while they get to screw around, so they sent him resources to keep up the good fight. However, the gods grew complacent and stopped sending Asmodeus the resources he needed, so to replenish his troops he had to start turning mortal souls into devils via unthinkable torture. He also got the gods to sign the Pact Primeval which gave him his own plane (Baator/Hell), and allowed him to do the torture. The gods skimmed the document, signed it, then later thought Asmodeus was a jerk because of his method for creating soldiers, created the concepts of Good and Evil to distance themselves from him, and threw him out of heaven into Hell so hard that the impact created the Pit (his wounds could never heal, and every drop of blood from them created a new pit fiend). Asmodeus now plans vengeance against the gods (and has the power to do it), but is too preoccupied with the Blood War to pull it off.

So yeah, the Blood War is actually a good thing, since it keeps both demons and devils from curbstomping the universe. Theoretically, it can continue forever and leave the gods' domain in relative peace.

how about Hell gets destroyed right after the Abyss?
    Make the universe a better place! Screw balance
    Good luck bro.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-12-13 at 04:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

While we're at it, how about Hell gets destroyed right after the Abyss?
    Yes, yes... Give in to the anger. The plans of our Yugoloth overlords in the shadows will finally be actualized!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    There are a bunch of different cosmologies and creation myths for dnd, and that was one of them. My google-fu fails me, so I'll just recount it myself.

Basically, that particular creation myth held that the whole universe was chaos (i.e. the abyss) for a while, until a portion of it calmed/cooled down long enough to allow law (and the rest of the multiverse) to form. There was no good or evil at that time, just law and chaos. The gods liked law, and fought chaos to defend it. Eventually, they got tired of fighting chaos, and wanted to screw around in their world(s). So they appointed the general Asmodeus to continue the fight against the Abyss, while they get to screw around, so they sent him resources to keep up the good fight. However, the gods grew complacent and stopped sending Asmodeus the resources he needed, so to replenish his troops he had to start turning mortal souls into devils via unthinkable torture. He also got the gods to sign the Pact Primeval which gave him his own plane (Baator/Hell), and allowed him to do the torture. The gods skimmed the document, signed it, then later thought Asmodeus was a jerk because of his method for creating soldiers, created the concepts of Good and Evil to distance themselves from him, and threw him out of heaven into Hell so hard that the impact created the Pit (his wounds could never heal, and every drop of blood from them created a new pit fiend). Asmodeus now plans vengeance against the gods (and has the power to do it), but is too preoccupied with the Blood War to pull it off.

So yeah, the Blood War is actually a good thing, since it keeps both demons and devils from curbstomping the universe. Theoretically, it can continue forever and leave the gods' domain in relative peace.

Good luck bro.
    There's gotta be some Op-Fu trick to do it. Pun-Pun, if nothing else works.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    It was that there were at least 24 Balors known to exist with no upward cap on how many could potentially exist (I had the book on hand).

As to the notion that Balors are the mightiest demon the FC1 mentions that Molydeus are more dreaded than Balors for whatever that's worth
    Molydei are more feared than the balors, but it's amongst other demons. They're almost as powerful as a balor, but they basically have the same job as the babaus do, to look for traitors and deserters. They're the closest thing that the demon princes have to a S.W.A.T. team. Balors, on the other hand, are hardly concerned about the loyalties of their lessers, since they mostly do their own thing unless a lord or prince orders otherwise.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I would assume that Balors don't rise up against the bags of Demon Lady and Lord bits (Which is an assuming idea, I think I shall generate all Demon Lords this way) because they're not stupid.

Sure, if you got enough of the things you might be able to take down a Demon Lord. Except that the casualty rate would be sky-high, and sucks to be you if you're one of them. Oh, and Demons die for good on their home plane. And your teammates sure as crap will be using you as a Demon Shield to save their own hides (or whatever it is that they have that passes for skin).

Also, who gets the crown once you've whacked the Demon Lord? Basically, all of the survivors would be fighting among each other in an instant. Better hope you're one of the more powerful ones, or you just replaced the Demon Lord with a new one that KNOWS you're the type to join uprisings.

And wait...What is that behind the throne? Oh dear, did you think that the Demon Lords don't have entire followings of Demons waiting for the chance to betray them and take control? Well, now they've joined the fight as well.

That is, if you even get to that point. What are the chances that one of your Demon buddies won't sell you out for the rewards before you even get to the right layer of the Abyss?

So basically, getting enough balors to cooperate long enough to take down a Demon Lord is going to be quite tough, as any balor chaotic enough to rebel against the lords are also chaotic enough to rebel against their own.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I recall a campaign where the PCs destroyed the heart of the abyss. We were then promptly killed when all 9 archdevils planeshifted to us immediately (we were pretty sure something like that would happen, but did it anyways). The next campaign started after Asmodeus had conquered the universe, became a god, and destroyed the other gods...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I would assume that Balors don't rise up against the bags of Demon Lady and Lord bits (Which is an assuming idea, I think I shall generate all Demon Lords this way) because they're not stupid.

Sure, if you got enough of the things you might be able to take down a Demon Lord. Except that the casualty rate would be sky-high, and sucks to be you if you're one of them. Oh, and Demons die for good on their home plane. And your teammates sure as crap will be using you as a Demon Shield to save their own hides (or whatever it is that they have that passes for skin).

Also, who gets the crown once you've whacked the Demon Lord? Basically, all of the survivors would be fighting among each other in an instant. Better hope you're one of the more powerful ones, or you just replaced the Demon Lord with a new one that KNOWS you're the type to join uprisings.

And wait...What is that behind the throne? Oh dear, did you think that the Demon Lords don't have entire followings of Demons waiting for the chance to betray them and take control? Well, now they've joined the fight as well.

That is, if you even get to that point. What are the chances that one of your Demon buddies won't sell you out for the rewards before you even get to the right layer of the Abyss?

So basically, getting enough balors to cooperate long enough to take down a Demon Lord is going to be quite tough, as any balor chaotic enough to rebel against the lords are also chaotic enough to rebel against their own.
    You've just described a typical Tuesday in the Abyss. They would have done the uprising on Monday, but that's bowling night.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

You've just described a typical Tuesday in the Abyss. They would have done the uprising on Monday, but that's bowling night.
    Demons are way too chaotic to schedule bowling night, much less show up on time or follow any of the rules.

"Demon Bowling Night" would probably just be an unspeakable massacre everywhere in the vicinity of the bowling center. With grotesquely creative means of killing people with bowling balls, and several variations on "throw victim down bowling alley".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Demons are way too chaotic to schedule bowling night, much less show up on time or follow any of the rules.

"Demon Bowling Night" would probably just be an unspeakable massacre everywhere in the vicinity of the bowling center. With grotesquely creative means of killing people with bowling balls, and several variations on "throw victim down bowling alley".
    Show up late. Disregard for the rules. Senseless violence. So... Demon Bowlers equal http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YedqV4G...%3DYedqV4Gl_us
    Last edited by SowZ; 2013-12-13 at 10:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Balors bow for the same reason that any group of Chaotic Evil entities has an organizational structure, because the Demon Lords are strong enough to force them to bow.

The Abyss is notoriously riven with infighting, power plays, and a lack of discipline. A Demon Lord's army is however many lesser demons they can force into submission and however many lesser demons those demons can force into submission and so on down the line. Every higher ranked demon ensures that the level immediately below it is riven with internal fighting so that it can't unite against them (not to mention that no demon trusts any other demon to actually stick to an agreement once they have the power to break it).

Ruling demons makes herding cats look trivial, that is the downside of trying to rule inherently chaotic creatures.

About all you can honestly count on with demons is that 1) they are batguano insane and 2) they are sadistic little pricks who will always choose whichever option measures highest on the kilonazi scale.
    I found a neat write up someone did on Demogorgon's court that basically works this way; big hierarchical layers based on physical power and each layer being forced to control the layer below it by the layer above it. I wonder about the numbers though; 4 million is a truly tiny number of Manes.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfFighterGuy

I imagine the Abyss as an infinitely deep pit, with each "tier" of the pit looking smaller from above, but turning out to be about the same size once you get down into it. Because the "surface" layer of the pit is the easiest to reach the Material Plane from, every demon in the Abyss is trying to claw its way to the prime real estate at the top, while kicking every other demon further into the pit.

As a consequence, there are actually an infinite number of demon lords, and a larger infinite number of balors and other demons, but mortals think that there are only a handful because those are the only ones that are close enough to the top of the pit to occasionally get out and get a reputation.

The reason that the infinitely large horde of demons hasn't overrun all of creation yet (aside from their infighting) is that the Abyss has a cross-section of limited size--it limits the flow of demons from deeper in the abyss, and between angels, devils, and paladins, demons get killed off about as fast as reinforcements arrive from deeper in the Abyss.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kieza View Post
    I imagine the Abyss as an infinitely deep pit, with each "tier" of the pit looking smaller from above, but turning out to be about the same size once you get down into it. Because the "surface" layer of the pit is the easiest to reach the Material Plane from, every demon in the Abyss is trying to claw its way to the prime real estate at the top, while kicking every other demon further into the pit.

As a consequence, there are actually an infinite number of demon lords, and a larger infinite number of balors and other demons, but mortals think that there are only a handful because those are the only ones that are close enough to the top of the pit to occasionally get out and get a reputation.

The reason that the infinitely large horde of demons hasn't overrun all of creation yet (aside from their infighting) is that the Abyss has a cross-section of limited size--it limits the flow of demons from deeper in the abyss, and between angels, devils, and paladins, demons get killed off about as fast as reinforcements arrive from deeper in the Abyss.
    It can't actually be a true infinity, though. Not a real infinity. It doesn't work.

If, in a true infinity, .00000000000000000...(insert twelve billion trillion 0s,)...000001% of all demons made it to the first rung, and of those the same ludicrous percentage ever made it to the material plane, there would be a literally infinite number of demons on the material plane. Demons would, shoulder to shoulder, fill up every square inch of the universe stretching into forever.

Also, if there are already an infinite number of demons, new demons spawning isn't just meaningless, it is impossible. You cannot have infinity plus one. Just the fact that more demons are spawning shows that the previous number probably wasn't infinity, since now there are more of them. Yes, I suppose some infinities are bigger than others, but in the context of 'infinite demons' it's irrelevant. There either are infinite demons, or there aren't. There's no in between. And the consequences of the former are senseless.

Infinity is just a weird concept. A certain number of things are never, and can never be, infinity no matter how large. That defeats the whole point of infinity. Demons can be totally countless and outnumber all other life in the multiverse, but there is a specific number even if it is ten to the googleplexian power.

TL;DR
    Infinity of a creature doesn't exist. Any percentage of infinity is infinity, so either infinite demons are on the Material Plan or 0% of them are.
    Last edited by SowZ; 2013-12-14 at 03:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I always found the infinite planes with infinite size thing off anyways. I cap it at 666 in my games, with the largest realms being Graz'zt at 6, Demogorgon at 5, and Orcus at 4. That means that the three strongest demon lords, strong enough to be called princes, only own 1/44 of the total land of the abyss between them. The rest is made up of single realm or partial realm ownerships like Dagon's Shadowsea or Zuggtmoy and Jubliex's Shedaklah.

I deviate from canon in other ways too; the Tanar'ri are made up of individual souls that began flooding into the Abyss with the creation of the prime (and thus souls) while the Obyrith are simply the chaotic evil native outsiders of the abyss. Infinite demons wouldn't make sense for this system either because there is not an infinite number of chaotic evil individuals in the prime.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Infinity is just a weird concept. A certain number of things are never, and can never be, infinity no matter how large. That defeats the whole point of infinity. Demons can be totally countless and outnumber all other life in the multiverse, but there is a specific number even if it is ten to the googleplexian power.

TL;DR
    Infinity of a creature doesn't exist. Any percentage of infinity is infinity, so either infinite demons are on the Material Plan or 0% of them are.
    It does, however, show how much of a badass Asmodeus is, since he can wage war against infinite demons with (ostensibly) finite resources (assuming he doesn't have infinite material planes' worth of souls).

Of course, the infinite demons are spread across infinite material planes. So there might only be so many demons per plane, depending on how big the infinities are. Like if there were N material planes, and 200N demons evenly distributed among each of them, then each material plane would contain (200N/N = 200) demons each. If N = infinity, the math should work the same.

[I do agree that the infinity thing is silly. I prefer the interpretation that it's just really big and no-one knows how big it is]
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-12-14 at 03:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

It can't actually be a true infinity, though. Not a real infinity. It doesn't work.

If, in a true infinity, .00000000000000000...(insert twelve billion trillion 0s,)...000001% of all demons made it to the first rung, and of those the same ludicrous percentage ever made it to the material plane, there would be a literally infinite number of demons on the material plane. Demons would, shoulder to shoulder, fill up every square inch of the universe stretching into forever.
    Percentages of infinity are for scrubs. Just say "only X demons can go through this passage per [time]" and you've dealt with it.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Percentages of infinity are for scrubs. Just say "only X demons can go through this passage per [time]" and you've dealt with it.
    I don't think it works that way, though. It is based on the demons strength and how much he fights to get through. The X possible thing is just a de facto thing to justify it. Even then, you end up with the paradoxical problem of, "If X demons enter the material plane a year, (where X is a finite number,) and X represents a part of the Demon Whole Y, (where Y is infinity,) then X equals 0% of Y. 0% is always 0, so X is 0, but X is also 200. X can't be two numbers at once, so the whole dang thing is an impossible equation.

Math with infinity just isn't really possible. It is neither a real number, an irrational number, or a imaginary number. Mathematically and scientifically speaking, portions of infinity don't work at all. 'Only X demons can enter even though infinite demons exist,' is still an attempt to extract a portion of infinity which all breaks down. It is one of the arguments against an infinite universe. And all evidence points to a universe that, at best, approaches infinity but is instead just always increasing. The Abyss makes a lot more sense that way. That it started out as one/a handful of planes and a smallish number of demons an unimaginable amount of time ago. Ever since then, it has been multiplying at exorbitant rates.

The Abyss will never stop spawning new planes or new demons so it will always approach infinity. Just like the universe approaches infinity in size but probably began very small. And after millions of years of making new layers of the Abyss, it is a totally absurd number. But it is still a number.

It does, however, show how much of a badass Asmodeus is, since he can wage war against infinite demons with (ostensibly) finite resources (assuming he doesn't have infinite material planes' worth of souls).

Of course, the infinite demons are spread across infinite material planes. So there might only be so many demons per plane, depending on how big the infinities are. Like if there were N material planes, and 200N demons evenly distributed among each of them, then each material plane would contain (200N/N = 200) demons each. If N = infinity, the math should work the same.

[I do agree that the infinity thing is silly. I prefer the interpretation that it's just really big and no-one knows how big it is]
    That fixes one problem, but doesn't address and might even make worse another. How can new planes continue to pop into existence and new demons get spawned every day if there is an infinite number of them already? The answer is they can't. If there is already an infinite number, new ones can never be born because those ones would have already existed. The fact that the rules say new demons continually get created proves there isn't already an infinite number of them.