New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: My Little Gramarist: SCIENCE! is Magic [Gramarie Discussion]

I think it sounds like a reasonable change.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

yeah I think that actually makes a lot more sense.
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

So you could probably make them require a spot check sometimes? Interesting. I never realized walls of force were invisible, but color out of space doesn't seem like it would work if the filter wasn't clearly visible...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I always understood it as the filter itself being invisible, but tinting all light passing through the filter into the correct colour.

Side note: opaqueness is not a word, you want opacity.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grek View Post
    I always understood it as the filter itself being invisible, but tinting all light passing through the filter into the correct colour.

Side note: opaqueness is not a word, you want opacity.
    Thanks for the catch - changed to opacity.

And that's why I'm attempting to provide a uniform answer as to what a filter looks like - I've seen various people state they are fully invisible, light tinting, fully opaque, or translucent. While it doesn't change how the function, it would be nice to have a clear description of how a filter looks when designing wearable items.
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

6. - Top - End - #246

Maybe Kellus was so blown away by all our homebrew he had a heart attack, or fell down some stairs in his excitement.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Will be working on a Geocult pole for tropical rainforest (Obsidian). Then I think we will have all natural biomes, along with my Outer space one and Milo's Nightmare Fuel. Add in a Mountain Master Feat chain, and that should be able to round off the Geocult discipline, unless we add more supernatural based ecologies.

8. - Top - End - #248

I think the wood pole is tropical rainforest

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I did a look through, and am not finding a tropical rainforest pole. I also realized after posting that there is no boreal forest/shield pole. The forest pole (copper) is a decidious forest, which is more temperate, while the boreal forest would be for colder environs. Or was that a suggestion for an alternate pole material?

What would people say about a principle where the biome attracts creatures native to the biome over time, allowing one to build up a monster collection? I would suggest that within your biome, monsters that are drawn to your biome understand you without you speaking thier language, and are amiable to your suggestions, although they will attack if you are hostile to them. You can enter thier territory so long as you are not disruptive, etc.

10. - Top - End - #250

Oh, sorry it's jungle. This might not be accurate, but tropical rainforest and jungle conjure the same picture to my mind, possibly with more vines and jaguars in the jungle.

Are they different enough to make the biomes worth differentiating? Same with boreal / shield forests? If they're mostly similar it would be better to add them in with a discovery, or simply as options when preparing a basic forest.

What is obsidian's theme? Obsidian doesn't seem very rainforesty.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Will be working on a Geocult pole for tropical rainforest (Obsidian). Then I think we will have all natural biomes, along with my Outer space one and Milo's Nightmare Fuel.
    Tropical Rainforests/Jungles already exist as a biome for Wood Poles.

It is outdated though. I probably should update it.

What would people say about a principle where the biome attracts creatures native to the biome over time, allowing one to build up a monster collection? I would suggest that within your biome, monsters that are drawn to your biome understand you without you speaking thier language, and are amiable to your suggestions, although they will attack if you are hostile to them. You can enter thier territory so long as you are not disruptive, etc.
    Well... first question, where are you putting the principle, how would you get access to it?

What is obsidian's theme? Obsidian doesn't seem very rainforesty.
    I agree, I'd personally suggest Obsidian to be mountains and then allow it to make volcano's.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-01-13 at 07:59 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As noted above I wasn't coming across wood pole. As for why obsidian, it's the idea of the jungle temple obsidian dagger theme for me. For me, obsidian has that connection, but I can see why it wouldn't have that connection for other people. Did I miss a boreal forest biome as well? As stated above, I only came across the temperate forest made by kellus.

As for my attracting monsters idea, I was thinking as a Geocult principle chain (or feat chain) of three where the base principle/feat draws monsters which leave you alone more often than they would usually, the improved feat draws more and makes them accepting of your presence; they won't mind you crossing their territory as long as you do not bother them, Advanced feat allows you to communicate with them and gain allies.

It's not for monster harvesting so much as gaining allies and guardians.

13. - Top - End - #253

As noted above I wasn't coming across wood pole. As for why obsidian, it's the idea of the jungle temple obsidian dagger theme for me. For me, obsidian has that connection, but I can see why it wouldn't have that connection for other people. Did I miss a boreal forest biome as well? As stated above, I only came across the temperate forest made by kellus.

As for my attracting monsters idea, I was thinking as a Geocult principle chain (or feat chain) of three where the base principle/feat draws monsters which leave you alone more often than they would usually, the improved feat draws more and makes them accepting of your presence; they won't mind you crossing their territory as long as you do not bother them, Advanced feat allows you to communicate with them and gain allies.

It's not for monster harvesting so much as gaining allies and guardians.
    A Boreal forest can be made with a normal Copper Pole so I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say.

As for the principle chain, that still raises the question of where your putting the principles, PrC? Though if you chose to do the feat option that is an answer to my question.

As for the idea itself, I wouldn't have it make them friendly to you or allow you to communicate with them... At least not directly.

I believe you should be able to draw creatures to the biome, say up to five times your check result in HD, but no more than half your Gramarist or whatever level worth of HD can be possessed by a single creature.

Then allow the additional stuff to be able to place apathy and whatever apathy's opposite is throughout the biome as logical decisions and by those in contact with the pole, though obviously these effects would only apply to manipulating the "Drawn" creatures.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

A Boreal forest can be made with a normal Copper Pole so I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say.
    I guess I am trying to say that some days I cannot read. I thought it was just temperate forests. The difference would be the environment that the forests develop in, but if the system doesn't differentiate between the types of forests, then it would be redundant.

As for your suggestion, that would likely work better. As I have said before, I hang around here because I like the system and have some ideas on what could be done, not because I have any good grasp of the system.

15. - Top - End - #255

As I have said before, I hang around here because I like the system and have some ideas on what could be done, not because I have any good grasp of the system.
    Honestly.... it's the same here

(WIP)
    Gramaric Battleforger
    You can use your knowledge of scientific principles to modify weapons into possessing new traits.
    Prerequisite: Craft 3 (Weaponsmith), can prepare principles
    Benefit: You can make Gramaric Weapon Modifications, as long as you know a principle from the prerequisite discipline.

Gramaric Weapon Modifications
    • Edge Shift: By spending a full-round action, the wielder of an Edge Shift weapon can slightly adjust its form to the situation at hand. The weapon can be altered to deal Bludgeoning, Piercing or Slashing damage, or can be commanded to revert to its original form.
      • Prerequisite: Must know an Alchemetry Principle
      • Requirement: None.
      • Cost: +1000 gp
    • Arcano Charge:
    • Living Grip:
    • Manoeuvre Gear: Whenever someone attacks with the weapon they can immediately move to the nearest empty space adjacent to the hit square, as long as there is a straight path and ample space. Moving more than five feet in this manner provokes attacks of opportunity, as normal.
      • Prerequisite: Must know an Eldrikinetic Principle
      • Requirement: The Weapon must be a reach weapon.
      • Cost: +2000 gp
    • Wild Aura:
    • Cord Cutter:
    • Unknown Attack:
    • Colourful Defence:
    • Gravity Well:

NOTE
    It has been suggested on the gramarie chat to replace this idea and make it closer to the more open aspect gramarie has, and make them more like principles in the various things they can do.

It was also suggested to instead replace them with a magic item system for gramarie, which would also cover the more open wide aspect qazz suggested.

Current plan for "Gramaric Items" is to use Legacy Weapons and Blazblue as inspiration.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-01-14 at 05:34 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256

Post Re: My Little Gramarist: SCIENCE! is Magic [Gramarie Discussion]

Materials, their uses, and their themes.

Copper
    Uses:
    Freezes aging (carmot)
    Electricity (transformer)
    Ballistic push (engine material)
    Forest/heat (biome)
    Air (heart)
    Walkytalky (rod)
    Electricity (element)

Themes:
    Air, distance, electricity

Gold
    Uses:
    Radiomancy (sunmetal)
    Light (transformer)
    Planejumping push (engine fuel)
    Arctic/cold (biome)
    Alternate reality (rod)
    Inwards push at range (engine material)
    Radiance (element)

Themes:
    Radiance, Radiomancy, light, discovery/divination|

Lead
    Uses:
    Anti-magic (cursed lead)
    Cancels radiomancy (transformer)
    Swamp (biome)
    Cancels divination (rod)
    Force/truth (element)

Themes:
    Negation

Mercury
    Uses:
    Speed (quicksilver)
    Cold (transformer)
    Lightning push (engine material)
    Wetlands/cold (biome)
    Water (heart)
    Probability (rod)
    Cold/water (element)

Themes:
    Water, fluidity, speed, cold

Iron
    Uses:
    Heat (phlogiston)
    Spin (transformer)
    Horizantal push (engine material)
    Desert/heat (biome)
    Fire (heart)
    Oridnance (rod)
    Fire (element)

Themes:
    Heat, spin/projectile motion

Silver
    Uses:
    Ethereal (moonsteal)
    Vital energy (transformer)
    Upwards push (engine material)
    Incorporeal push (engine fuel)
    Ocean/water (biome)
    Creatures (rod)
    Incarnum/vital energy (element)

Themes:
    Incorporability, vital energy, incarnum

Tin
    Uses:
    Acid (alkahest)
    Acid (transformer)
    Grasslands/wind (biome)
    Earth (biome)
    Entropy (biome)
    Acid (element)

Themes:
    Acid, earth

Platinum
    Uses:
    Ebb storage (orichalcum)
    Faith (transformer)
    City (biome)
    Order/efficiency (rod)
    Astral projection push (engine material)

Themes:
    Order, organization

Chrome
    Uses:
    Time (hastelloy)
    Factory (biome)
    Time travel push (engine material)
    Time (filter, chrome acting as a colour)
    Time/ actions (transformer)
    Time (element)

Themes:
    Time

Crystal
    Uses:
    sound (transformer)
    caverns (biome)
    Intent/thoughts (rod)
    sonic/aether (element)

Themes:
    Sound, vibration

Wood
    Uses:
    Aether (darkwood)
    Puissance (transformer)
    Push at range (engine material)
    Horizantal push (engine fuel), rails (eldk thing)
    Gramarie (rod)
    Jungle (biome)

Themes:
    Gramarie/puissance, forests

Bone
    Uses:
    Ballistic push (engine fuel)
    Death (rod)
    Decay (wightstone)
    Souls (transformer)
    Graveyard/undeath (biome)

Themes:
    Death, decay

Broken table containing all the other materials:
    Spoiler
    Show

{Table=head]Material|Uses|Possible Themes strong weak|Unnatural production
    Copper|Freezes aging (carmot), electricity (transformer), ballistic push (engine material), forest/heat (biome), air (heart), walkytalky (rod), electricity (element)| Air, distance, electricity|To produce copper, a cubic foot of stone must be struck by a bolt of lightning, or receive similar current, while touching no solid or liquid surface.

Gold|Radiomancy (sunmetal), light (transformer), planejumping push (engine fuel), arctic/cold (biome), alternate reality (rod), inwards push at range (engine material), radiance (element)|Radiance, Radiomancy, light, discovery/divination|To produce gold, a cubic foot of stone must take enough hellfire damage to destroy it, while exposed to light bright enough to permanently blind a viewer. Rather than being destroyed, the stone is transmuted to gold.

Lead|Anti-magic (cursed lead), cancels radiomancy (transformer), swamp (biome), cancels divination (rod), force/truth (element)|Negation|

Mercury|speed (quicksilver), cold (transformer), lightning push (engine material), wetlands/cold (biome), water (heart), probability (rod), cold/water (element)| Water, fluidity, speed, cold|To produce mercury, a cubic foot of stone must move 500ft within a single round, while completely submerged in water.

Iron|Heat (phlogiston), spin (transformer), horizantal push (engine material), Desert/heat (biome), fire (heart), oridnance (rod), fire (element)|Fire, spin|To produce iron, a cubic foot of stone must heated until molten, and then cooled to lukewarm (20c) within a single round. If this is done within a magnetic field, the iron becomes magnetic.

Silver|Ethereal (moonsteal), vital energy (transformer), upwards push (engine material), incorporeal push (engine fuel), ocean/water (biome), creatures (rod), incarnum/vital energy (element)|incorporability, vital energy, incarnum

Tin|acid (alkahest), acid (transformer), grasslands/wind (biome), earth (biome), entropy (biome), acid (element)|acid, earth

Platinum|ebb storage (orichalcum), faith (transformer), city (biome), order/efficiency (rod), astral projection push (engine material)|Order, organization

Chrome|time (hastelloy), factory (biome), time travel push (engine material), time (filter, chrome acting as a colour), time/ actions (transformer), time (element)|Time

Crystal|sound (transformer), caverns (biome), Intent/thoughts (rod), sonic/aether (element)| sound

Wood|aether (darkwood), puissance (transformer), push at range (engine material), horizantal push (engine fuel), rails (eldk thing), gramarie (rod), jungle (biome)|Gramarie/puissance, forests

Amber|swam push (engine material), time (rod), dormancy (refractor)|Entrapment

Glass|magic (rod)|

Bone|ballistic push (engine fuel), death (rod), decay (wightstone), souls (transformer), graveyard/undeath (biome)|Death, decay

Ice|heat (transformer), probability (rod)|

Stone|burrowing push (engine material), immovability (rod)|

onyx|death (transformer), reverse functionality (refractor)|

Pearls|astral projection push (engine fuel), mirror (refractor)|

Diamond|stone burrowing push (engine material), polarization/charge (refractor)|

Paper|truth (transformer)|

Mithril|glory/greatness (transformer), cause and effect (rod)|

Brass|rocket (engine material)|

Oil|rocket (engine fuel)|

Cloth|parachute (engine material)|

Flesh|downward push (engine material)|

Leather|Wind (transformer)|

Daylight|upwards push (engine fuel)|

Blood|downward push (engine fuel)|

Nuts and acorns|burrowing push (engine fuel)|

Honey|swarm push (engine fuel)|

Electricity|lightning push (engine fuel)|

Sea water|stone burrowing push (engine fuel)|

Cold iron|Incorporeal push (engine material)|

Adamantine|plane jumping push (engine material), magic (transformer)|

Wine|inwards push at range (engine fuel)|

Mementos|time travel push (engine fuel)|

Quartz|plasma (refractor)|

Garnet|enhancement (refractor)|

Tourmaline|compression/conglomeration (refractor)|

Topaz|lasers!! (refractor)|

Opal|Radiomantic (refractor)|

Corundum|amplification/fusion (refractor)|

Jade|materialization/elementals (refractor)|
    [/table]
    Last edited by qazzquimby; 2014-04-11 at 08:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Ok, here's a draft of the Basics section of Gramaric items.

Gramaric Items
    Basics
    In addition to the modifications an individual can already make with knowledge of gramaric principles, they can also use their insight to produce items enhanced with aspects of these principles. To modify an object into a gramaric item, only knowledge of the modification's prerequisite principles, discoveries, and/or ranks in the key skill of the relevant discipline are required.

Gramaric items are divided into categories: aggrandizers, armour modules, blueprints, chems, computers, condensers, organetics, and weapon modules. In addition, a few gramaric items belong to a category called Ars Magus, due to the combination of magic and gramarie in their construction.

Aggrandizers
    An aggrandizer is a large disc which amplifies the effectiveness of principles prepared by someone standing upon it. In addition to gramaric knowledge, the Craft Aggrandizer feat is required to produce aggrandizers.

Armour Modules
    Armour (including shield) modules offer improved protection to the wearer.

Blueprints
    Blueprints are written instructions on how to enact a principle, even if the user cannot normally prepare principles.

Chems
    A chem is a volatile concoction designed to enhance the abilities of someone who consumes or is injected with it. Chems are capable of producing a variety of effects. In addition to gramaric knowledge, ranks in Craft (Alchemy) are also required to produce chems.

Computers
    A computer is a device capable of storing data, including gramaric preparations. A newly created computer has 50 Bites of memory, and each thing stored within the computer depletes one or more of those Bites. In addition to gramaric knowledge, specialization in Heuristicism is also required to produce computers.

Condensers
    A condenser is a small device imbued with the power to concentrate and modify energy, such as increasing the capabilities of an Eldritch Blast. A newly created condenser has 50 charges, and each use of the condenser depletes one of those charges. In addition to gramaric knowledge, Eldritch Animae are required to produce condensers.

Organetics
    Organetics are modifications to mutable living matter such as grafts and symbionts that can enhance the overall status of the living matter or even bestow additional benefits. In addition to gramaric knowledge, ranks in Craft (Prosthetics) are required to produce organetics.

Weapon Modules
    Weapons modules are augmentations that can add additional combat powers to weapons, such as bestowing Arts of War on people who use them. In addition to gramaric knowledge, Arts of War are required to produce weapon modules.

Gramaric Items and Detect Magic
    When detect magic identifies a gramaric item’s discipline of gramarie, this information refers to the discipline of the augment placed within the item. The description of each item provides its aura strength and the discipline it belongs to. If more than one discipline is given as a prerequisite, use the highest-grade principle.

Using Items
    To use a gramaric item, it must be activated, although sometimes activation simply means eating a pill or putting on some armour. Some items, once donned, function constantly. In most cases, using an item requires a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

The two ways to activate gramaric items are described below.

Command Word
    If no activation method is suggested either in the gramaric item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some seemingly nonsensical word, or a code specifically created for gramaric item use.

Sometimes the command word to activate an item is written right on the item. Occasionally, it might be hidden within a pattern or design engraved on, carved into, or built into the item, or the item might bear a clue to the command word.

Knowledge (architecture and engineering) and the key skill of the discipline might be useful in helping to identify command words or deciphering clues regarding them. A successful check against DC 30 is needed to come up with the word itself. If that check is failed, succeeding on a second check (DC 25) might provide some insight into a clue.

The spells identify and analyze dweomer both reveal command words.

Use Activated
    This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to eat a pill, prepare a principle, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, or not lose a limb. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.

Many use-activated items are objects that a character wears or wields. Continually functioning items are practically always items or grafts that one wears. However, some items made for wearing must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word (see above), usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen. The description of an item states whether a command word is needed in such a case.

Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that normally provokes an attack of opportunity. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all.

Use activation doesn’t mean that if you use an item, you automatically know what it can do. You must know (or at least guess) what the item can do and then use the item in order to activate it, unless the benefit of the item comes automatically, such from injecting yourself with a chem or swinging a spiked chain.

Bites, Charges, and Multiple Uses
    Many items, particularly computers or condensers, are limited in power by the number of bites or charges they hold. Normally, limited charge items have 50 charges or maximum bites at most. A condenser with partially spent charges or a computer created with a lower maximum number of bites, has it's price reduced proportionally.

Damaging Gramaric Items
    A gramaric item doesn't need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Gramaric items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Gramaric items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A gramaric item’s saving throw bonus equals 1/2 ranks required to create the item or 2, whichever is higher.

Gramaric items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged gramaric item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its supernatural power is lost.

Gramaric Item Descriptions
    Each general type of gramaric item has an overall description, followed by descriptions of specific items.

General descriptions include notes on activation, grade, discipline, and other material. The AC, hardness, hit points, and break DC are given for typical examples of some gramaric items. The AC assumes that the item is unattended and includes a –5 penalty for the item’s effective Dexterity of 0. If a creature holds the item, use the creature’s Dexterity modifier in place of the –5 penalty.

Aura
    Most of the time, a detect magic spell will reveal the discipline of gramarie associated with a gramarie item and the strength of the aura an item emits. This information (when applicable) is given at the beginning of the item’s notational entry. See the detect magic spell description for details.

Cost to Create
    The next part of a notational entry is the cost in gp and XP to create the item, given following the word ”Cost.” This information appears only for items with components (material or XP), which make their market prices higher than their base prices. The cost to create includes the costs derived from the base cost plus the costs of the components.

Items without costly components do not have a “Cost” entry. For them, the market price and the base price are the same. The cost in gp is 1/2 the market price, and the cost in XP is 1/25 the market price.

Prerequisites
    Certain requirements must be met in order for a character to create a gramaric item. These include discoveries, principles, and miscellaneous requirements such as a particular Art of War. The prerequisites for creation of an item are given immediately following the item’s skill rank.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s skill ranks must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.

Typically, a list of prerequisites includes one or more principles

Market Price
    This gold piece value, given following the word “Price,” represents the price someone should expect to pay to buy the item. The market price for an item that can be constructed is usually equal to the base price plus the price for any components (material or XP).

Skill Rank
    The next item in a notational entry gives the ranks in the key skill of the items discipline that are required, indicating its relative power. These ranks are always at least 1.

Weight
    The notational entry for some items ends with a value for the item’s weight. When a weight figure is not given, the item has no weight worth noting (for purposes of determining how much of a load a character can carry).

Repairing Gramaric Items
    Some gramaric items take damage over the course of an adventure. It costs no more to repair a gramaric item with the Craft skill than it does to repair its nonsupernatural counterpart. The make whole spell also repairs a damaged—but not completely broken—gramaric item.

Saving Throws Against Gramaric Item Powers
    For a saving throw against an effect from a gramaric item, the DC is 10 + 1/2 ranks required to create the item.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact principle equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2014-01-15 at 06:50 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    I'll expand much more on this later, but I'm going to start organizing the themes of each gramaric material. I would much prefer if we complete materials, and keep them roughly thematic, just for the logical aspect of it.

Tell me if I missed any, and look for themes. Note that for many materials, there is no apparent theme, or if there could be, it would be very forced. The relationship between engine materials, fuels, and the way the materials are used by other components, is also very chaotic.

I also hope the production of materials can be kept serious. I really like the problem solving behind making a blood factory for your engines, and similar projects, so I'm kind of against alchemetrying new materials when possible. Ideally, materials could be fabricated (because mining is boring), but in an interesting way that requires the player to think, rather than by rolling a high DC.

Fancy table to come.

Spoiler
    Show

You missed the Adamantine transformer (Gramarie-Lord) and the Mithril rod (DVPY theory)
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing the new elementals... should I change some things on constructivity to accommodate for them? (I know I promised a constructivity update, it will appear eventually)
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Seeing the new elementals... should I change some things on constructivity to accommodate for them? (I know I promised a constructivity update, it will appear eventually)
    Maybe, I'm not entirely sure. I honestly don't like how I was making the elementals which is one of the two main reasons why I stopped working on them for the time being. Other reason is armour which turns rain into an aura of fire.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

Seems to me like the ELDK 276 anima will never give you extra damage...

EDIT: Also, DVPY animas posted.
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2014-01-15 at 09:34 AM.

gitp extended sig

22. - Top - End - #262

NecromancerGuy

Sirp, I think you're right about the ELDK amina. It sounds self-contradictory... Anyway, I like the DVPY animae, especially 239 and 368...
    Rules for Luck
    A (failed) Shadowcaster fix
    The Sangolu: mixing D&D's greatest foes
    Gestalt theurgy

When referring to Vaarsuvius, I (try to) use they/them/their/theirs/themself. Just my preference.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolep
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolep
    60>80
    This, I feel, deserves a quote on its own.
    RAI trumps RAW on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Isn't it annoying when the cocky one is actually right?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thoughts for Mountain master feat (I know it's not much, but it gets the framework out. This is just basic characteristics I have in mind:

When establishing a mountain (or any change in elevation), choose between three types of mountains: Volcanic, Tetonic, or Composite (may drop this option at a later point).

Volcanic mountains are the more destructive mountain, trading towering hieght for more offensive capabilities with the mountain master being able to trigger various events such as ash column, magma column, lahar(mudslide or land slide), earth tremor,and eruption. The first four effects are singular events, although there is a probability that strong ash plume, magma column, or earth tremor will trigger a lahar due to the unstability of mountain slopes, as well as a strong rainfall or snowmelt. An eruption triggers all five events at a cost less than triggering all events singularly, at cost of damage to the volcano. As noted above, the volcano's slopes are inherently unstable, making it only possible to build small buildings on it's slopes, and any tunneling into the slopes may trigger a slide [At the risk of contradicting myself, I may have them be stable at smaller levels where you have the shield volcanos like Hawaii where the obsidian layers make it difficult to dig through the slopes, but more unstable when you get into Composite volcanos like Mt. St. Helen's where the sides are made of layers of ash and cooled lava.]

Tetonic mountains are raised by the relentless forces of the plates upon which the world rests, and form the largest mountains in existence today. These mountains are more stable then the Volcanic mountains, and are more useful to create terrain elevation at smaller levels (foothills and giant, impassible barriars than the destructive nature of the volcano. However, the mountain master is able to trigger rockslide when needed.
    Tetonic mountains are superior to Volcanic mountains in that they are great at generating resources such as coal as well as a variety of precious metals over time(***not sure how to deal with this part. Need to research my resource mining***).

Composite mountains combine various traits of both Tetonic and Volcanic and Tetonic mountains, but cost more to build and to utilize events, reducing the effectiveness of events and the timespan between uses.

I know this isn't the best and may not be the most coherent, but I think it's a good start. what do you think?

24. - Top - End - #264

Editing: This is why you shouldn't post while distracted and on a phone.

I think what could be more useful would be making specific rules for how principles already interact with weapons and armor (light sabers, filter armor, ect.). Ideally I think, everything should be possible by combining base components cleverly, rather than having specific abilities for specific situations.
    Last edited by qazzquimby; 2014-01-15 at 09:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Rolep View Post
    Sirp, I think you're right about the ELDK amina. It sounds self-contradictory...
    Basically what it comes down to is that thanks to the 5-15 rule for diagonals, the best you can ever do is to be 5 feet off of straight (i.e., 60 ft forward and 5 ft to the side), because 15 feet > 14.1 feet. That leaves you with 60.2 feet instead of 60, which means that you get 0.2d6 extra damage.

Anyway, I like the DVPY animae, especially 239 and 368...
    Thanks! I'm glad.

gitp extended sig

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    i think what could be more useful would be making specific rules for how principles already interact with weapons and armoor (light sabers, filter armor, ect.) because in my opinion, ideally everything should be possible by combininng base components cleverly, rather than having specific abilities for specific situations.
    You don't need rules for that. As they already exist....
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

There's been a discussion about the future of Gramarie on the IRC, which I'd like to call to everyone's attention. As Kellus stated that he isn't the boss of Gramarie, we as a community need to determine what "official" Gramarie consists of, and how it is controlled (if at all). I wrote up a document with my personal opinion on how to go about it, which you can find here: Link

With that said, the main consensus on the IRC for "Step 1" is to form a committee of members to oversee and review content, with Kellus having a seat on it whenever he is present. While you are more than welcome to join us on the IRC (Link) to discuss it, that isn't the only way. Everyone's voice deserves to be heard in this, and the system has its roots on these boards. As such, post here with what you think should happen - do you agree with a committee? If so, who would you like to see on it? (no voting for yourself ) Do you have another regulatory method that you think would work better?

If you're not comfortable openly discussing your opinion, feel free to PM me. I check these forums several times a day, and I'll happily collect all anonymous opinions on the subject. Your name will not come up in discussion, but I'll make sure that your opinion is brought to the table.

Also, remember this: Gramarie is a homebrew project. No matter what is decided, nothing being done is meant to prevent others from expanding the system by creating more content - this is simply an attempt to refine the material already present, to make Gramarie the best it can be.
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

28. - Top - End - #268

I had envisioned the committees as being made up of everyone who was both interested and felt knowledgeable enough about the material. I don't think we need nominations, and the more voices the better.

29. - Top - End - #269

The current idea in the IRC is that we have a committee of five people.

I believe it each person was representing a finger (though one would be a thumb not a finger).
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with Qazzquimble. Anyone who wants should have a vote. a Athenian Democracy and not a one with representatives. I personally don't think that we would get a really large group, but bigger then five persons any way.
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall