Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 80 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 2397
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Introduction to forum play:

    Welcome to Robís Epic-Level D&D 3.5 play-by-post campaign! All who are reading this, players old and new, should abide by the following rules:

    -this forum uses the honor system. Die rolling is an integral part of D&D, but we are all mature enough to know that cheating helps no one. That being said, keep it honest

    -due to the nature of epic gameplay, the campaign will become a bit more story-based. Menial encounters will not be emphasized or resolved through dice, though I will do my best to keep this a die-rolling RPG as much as possible.

    -be nice and respectful toward myself and each other. DM rulings are final, so no arguing in that department. I know magic at high levels is absurd in many areas, so some ad hoc, story-based modifications may be made in this area

    -min/maxers, munckins, and rollplayers need not apply! Yes, everyone wants their character to be the best at what they do, but if there is a rules loophole that becomes increasingly or regularly abused (Iím thinking Time Stop/Delayed Blast Fireball for insane amounts of damage, making warriors obsolete), know that this will be addressed, in or out of game for sake of balance, realism, and most importantly, fun for everybody

    -in combat, I will ask for a single initiative roll, modified by individual modifiers for to simplify initiative. Monsters will act as a group (or in groups depending on their modifiers) as well. When players declare their actions, please include any and ALL die rolls that would accompany that action (to hit AND damage for example). As each player declares their action(s), I will detail how it plays out (hits, misses, etc.) in dramatic, descriptive fashion. The opposite is true of my role; DM die rolls being secret, I will only display effects descriptively.

    -out of combat situations will work similarly. Players can declare their intentions/actions (again, with appropriate die rolls, i.e. walking around a village investigating [27 Gather Information]). I will describe flavorfully all resolutions and outcomes.

    -to get started, I will need everyone to message me their characters (privately or through e-mail) so that I may have all necessary stats handy (HP, AC, Saves, Skills, etc.)

    This all being said, where did we leave offÖ?
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-29 at 10:37 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Recap

    Xavier, Dr. Nimm, and Bear Ghost experienced quite a night visiting Bear Ghost's Wild Jaguar Tribe. Although Bear Ghost "defeated" the present chieftain, combat rules were broken and quite the melee ensued. After all was said and done, the beaten chieftain was dragged back to his tent while the rest of the tribe eyed their "guests" with a wary eye. Xavier and Garyxkilla, not having taken part in the brawl, made quite the impression on individual tribesmen. Leena vanished at one point during the dinner festivities and is yet to return.

    The captured Titania and her dire lion, Leandro, remain in captivity now revealed as the last remaining member of the Mountain Lion Tribe, which were formerly allies of Bear Ghost's Wild Jaguar Tribe until they were conquered after Bear Ghost's father's demise at the hands current chieftain.

    Night fell and everyone awakes fully rested (albeit a little hung over through the celebrations of Kord and their newly acquired deity, the dark Chromaticus). Your next mission included venturing into the Doom Blizzard Peaks to the north, as a clutch of white dragons have taken Chromaticus as their deity and Bahamut along with Tiamat have given you the mission of severing this tie.

    If anyone would like to conduct any morning business, now is the time.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-07-16 at 12:44 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    I, Xavier Alexis, seek the council of my trusted friend Bear Ghost to ask if I should attempt to influence the opinion of the tribe in our favor.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default The next morning...

    Xavier, as you approach Bear Ghost's tent (he was able to sleep in guest quarters while you passed out drunk near a camp fire), you see that it is heavily surrounded by armed and armored troll (5), giant (hill and frost, 2 each), ogre (5), orc (10) and human (10) tribesmen along with about 10 regular and dire jaguars. A blue-skinned ogre is there as well. You vaguely remember him being at the chieftain's side throughout the last night's activities, but little more than that.

    They see you approach, grasping their weapons, almost in fear of your approach. The blue-skinned ogre approaches you, he not in fear of your presence.

    Thazgat: we mean you no offense... but your "friend," in his savage, mindless fury violated the code of battle. The chieftain asks that he, and his friends leave here immediately. He wishes not to look upon their shamed faces. I hear that you seek the dragons... to the north, yes? Be wary of the Doom Blizzard Peaks (he scoffs), many a fine warrior has fallen there. (His tone changes to a lighter note). Well, rested then are you? Feast, prepare for your travel... you will need your strength...

    (reply?)

    Bear Ghost, you awake to loud rustling outside of your tent, hearing fragments of a conversation between the witchdoctor, Thazgat, and Xavier. The tone has you feeling uneasy, though not hostile. You feel that you may have over stayed your welcome.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-08-06 at 10:46 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    I attempt to use my charisma and diplomatic skills to my advantage.

    Xavier Alexis: thank you for this information Thazgat and rest assured I am certain, if given the chance, that I can restore the trust which has been broken by my short-tempered friend. May I have a moment to speak to my friend, Bear Ghost, in private?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Give me a Diplomacy check. Next time include it with your original action/post to expedite things.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    My diplomacy check roll was a 12 plus 40 equals a 52 on my check.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Your word and tones seemed to sooth the entire troupe gathered outside of the tent.

    The witch doctor stares you up and down for just a second, with a slight squint in his eye, which quickly turns into what you think might be a sigh of relief. He then gestures to the crowd and mumbles something in Giant that would translate to "there's no trouble here... back to your posts," disbanding the gathering.

    Thazgat: I trust not only in your words, dragon-blooded, but also in your intentions... and "noble spirit" (scoffing). I have heard tales of your ventures. Your reputation precedes you. As for your friend. You must know that his presence here, especially in his wanting to challenge Numvulk is a threat to our people and way of life. I suggest that you leave these lands and seek the dragons to the north. That is your original purpose, is it not?

    A rustling in the tent catches your attention before you can respond. Bear Ghost (finally) emerges from his slumber. He looks well rested. Still no sign of Dr. Nimm, Leena, or the green dragon.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Xavier: Thank you Thazgat and yes, my friends and I do have more pressing matters to attend to right now. I will do my best to make sure we leave as soon as possible. Now, could you please give Bear Ghost and I a moment to speak privately so I may hasten our departure?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Bear_Ghost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Bearghost: (Draws the curtain back from the tent..gives those in his tribe one last glance of disapproval.) The day my father died... this tribe died with it. There is nothing left for me here.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Thazgat: (eyeing Bear Ghost suspiciously) I will give you that "moment" dragon-blood, though we would be doing a disservice if not to offer a feast for a battle... fought last night. So eat, drink. Then be on your way. We know not of the whereabouts of your companions. Be sure that they no longer meddle in the affairs of the tribe (referencing Dr. Nimm being caught poisoning the Chief during the fight)

    Xavier, you have partial recollection of this, but did not involve yourself during the brawl, giving you some credibility with the tribe. This is not so, however, with Bear Ghost and Dr. Nimm. The green dragon and Leena vanished at one point during the night and are yet to emerge.

    As Bear Ghost emerges from the tent... (give me some spot checks)

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Bear_Ghost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    (Bear Ghost rolls an 8 for his spot.) Keep your feast Thaz. The Gods have bigger plans for me. (Looks to Xavier) We have work to do.
    Last edited by Bear_Ghost; 2013-08-27 at 06:36 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    (Xavier Alexis rolls a 28 for his spot)

    Xavier Alexis: I agree Bear Ghost. Lead the way.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default On the road to the Doomblizzard Peaks

    You both decide that you have overstayed your welcome just a bit and forgo the departing feast. You gather your belongings (not much for the Vow of Poverty Sorcerer) and start heading north, initially by foot (in case others wish to catch up).

    Xavier, as you are heading out you notice that many of the tribesmen had been looking to you (or more specifically, toward Bear Ghost) with a glimmer of hope, however dying that hope might be. Some seemed quite upset that you did not partake in the morning feast. It is pretty evident that many of them had some hopes with his return.

    There is a path that leads to the mountains, north. It is a lightly beaten path that dissolves somewhat the thicker the forest runs, eventually disappearing into the wild. The mountains in the distance seem large, even from the 2 days travel distance that you stand. You can barely see the frost on the tips of the ridges from the distance, though the span of the mountain range runs across the northern horizon for as far as you can see.

    How do you wish to travel? By foot? Teleport? Fly?

    Let's start off the day with max HP/MP.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Walking, for the time being, is fine with me.

    Xavier: So Bear Ghost, I noticed there seems to be quite a few tribesman who seem disappointed by our departure. Would you like to rechallenge this chieftain? I am confident I can help persuade the tribe to settle this matter once and for all.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Leena's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Xavier, Bear Ghost, where are you running off to? It smells like food and I'm famished. Aren't you?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Xavier: Hello Leena, Bear Ghost is ready to leave this place behind him for now. However, I wouldn't mind joining his tribe in one last feast. I believe I could convince them to let Bear Ghost settle things with their current chieftain before we depart. What do you think?

    (To Bear Ghost)

    Xavier: What do you say Bear Ghost? Fight clean and even if you are killed, I will revive you. Besides, I believe you are more than capable of dispatching this chieftain without any help.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Leena appears from beyond the foliage, startling you all (she must have been quite uneasy, as an elf, celebrating with all manner of orc and giant-kin). There still has been no word on Garyxkilla or Dr. Nimm.

    Not wanting to rejoin the tribe, food is found on the trail northwards. Leena has no issue in hunting and trapping small game (no roll required due to such high ranks in survival). You travel without incident the first day and decide to make camp around nightfall. Food is not bountiful, but not meager either.

    Throughout the night, Xavier and Bear Ghost are awoken briefly as horrific bellows echo throughout the night, coming from the north. Leena, having already tranced, recognizes these sounds as draconic, but is unable to discern which type. The sounds end quickly and you all resume your rest.

    The second day breaks and you continue your trek northward. The trail vanishes into the forest, which becomes much denser as you near the foot of the mountains. I assume Leena takes lead here, as she guides the group through the wilderness. I need everyone to make spot and listen checks please.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    I didn't think we left the tribe yet.

    Bear Ghost didn't tell me whether he wanted to challenge the chieftain again.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Bear_Ghost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    To Xavier: I due time.. Let him lick his wounds for now.. I want him at his best.. with no excuses. I will not play by his rules and do things on his terms. *Bear Ghost is very quiet for most of the journey as if there is a lot weighing on his mind *

    Bear Ghost spot is 18, listen 13

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    So, everything continues as previously detailed. The tribe rules allow for the Chieftain to be challenged once per week, so maybe you guys can wait some time before doing that again.

    Leena and Xavier, I am still waiting on your spot and listen checks.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Xavier: As you wish my friend.

    Xavier's Spot check is 18 and Listen check is 19.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Leena's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Leena's spot check 13+25=38, listen check 19+25=44.
    Don't forget about Reli, my dire wolf. Spot 7+5=12, listen 1+5=6.

    We're playing a game during our travels, and its called "I spy". Based on my spot modifier, I'm probably winning....and Reli's in second place.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Surprise!

    The group is walking along playing their game. Leena's high spot checks have given her an unfair advantage with the "I spy" game, although it seems that only Xavier is playing along, as Bear Ghost keeps to himself mostly, remaining quite gruff and keeping to himself.

    Dusk breaks (limited visibility) and you are nearing the foot of the mountains. A chilled breeze passes through, letting you know in an unsubtle fashion that you're all on track to the right destination. Leena and her dire wolf seem to have followed tracks from the tribe that have lead her anyways, not that the mountain peeks are hard to miss.

    There is a rough passage, or more of a trail that leads into the mountains. As you are all making your way through the base of the cliff...

    Leena, you hear a very slight rustling from behind and all around you. Your keen hearing pinpoints 4 smaller creatures, rustling ever so slightly among the brush, sneaking up behind the group, in an arc-- you recognize the movements as those of draconic in nature (your checks get an additional +6 bonus since they are your favored enemy).

    Your bow had remained readied while traveling, so you instinctively bring it up, startling both Xavier and Bear Ghost (who heard nothing more but the loud, whistling wind coming in from the cliff), catching a glimpse of what you've seen, as the other 2 duck as if you are about to fire on them.

    Your low-light vision doesn't fail you-- your eyes confirm what you've heard. What you do see are small, reddish-brown reptilian creatures, undoubtedly a clutch of wyrmling and very young dragons, though you do not immediately recognize which type, all dragons disgust you to an extent (as a side note, I forgot to remember to mention that you've overheard Xavier be called "dragon-blood" and "dragon-blooded" back when they were at the tribe (you were keeping an eye on them from the outside), which has been kind of pissing you off as you've been walking with him and getting to know him.

    Back to the dragons... there are 4 in total, 2 tiny (Yogi-sized) and 2 small (Kenji-sized), though it is difficult for you to discern whether good or evil. The smaller ones are scaling a tree, quite effortlessly, while the others are creeping along the brush. As you spot them, their eyes widen with fear.

    As you were leading, in front, Bear Ghost was slightly behind you to your left while Xavier was next to him, behind you on the right. They are about 10 feet from you while the dragons are about 10 feet from them.

    ---------D----------------------------------------M
    ---------------------------------------------------M
    ----d-----------BG-------------------------------M
    ---------------------------L/R--------------------M
    ---d---------XA----------------------------------M
    ---------------------------------------------------M
    ----------D---------------------------------------M

    North ----->

    D=small dragon; d=tiny dragon; BG=Bear Ghost, XA=Xavier Alexis; L/R=Leena/Reli; M=Mountain face; There are tall trees, lightly scattered all around the area.

    Xavier and Bear Ghost, you are both surprised. You can roll initiative for the start of the regular round, but remember that all you've seen is the wild elf raise her bow across your heads/faces with a pissed off look (although she isn't pointing directly at either of you).

    Leena, roll for initiative for the surprise round. Include anything you'd like to say or do (you can speak briefly within your turn for free, but limit what you say and do to a 6-second interval). You can speak, attack, hold, move, etc. A surprise round only allows for a standard action, so while speaking is free, you are pretty limited. You can have Reli act on your turn as well, with the same limitations.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-11 at 12:22 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Bear_Ghost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Initiative roll 18. Bear Ghost: What are you doing now?

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Initiative Order

    Let's use the group initiative roll of 11 and modify from there. Initiative order for the surprise round is:

    Leena: 21
    Dragons: 15

    Remember that everyone is considered flat-footed until they act and that the surprise round allows only for a standard action. Initiative order for the first full round will be:

    Leena: 21
    Bear Ghost: 18
    Dragons: 15
    Xavier: 14

    Leena, you act first. What do you do? Remember to include appropriate die rolls with your actions.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-19 at 09:11 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Leena's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    I use Manyshot to shoot a series of warning arrows at the dragons, 1 at each (16+28 [44], 19+28 [47], 6+28 [34], 19+28 [47]).

    What is your business here and why have you followed us? I didn't have to miss.
    Last edited by Leena; 2013-09-19 at 09:24 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Surprise Round

    Manyshot doesn't let you shoot at separate targets, but you are able to successfully fire off four arrows in their general area.

    Leena holds her one drawn arrow fast and draws 3 more, very quickly, firing all 4 simultaneously between Xavier and Bear Ghost.

    Xavier and Bear Ghost, the arrows whiz dangerously, but also somehow cautiously well placed, between the two of you. You can hear the screech of the arrow as the 2 outer ones whiz by your ears, all 4 striking a large tree that you had just passed.

    Leena, the dragons scatter like flies, jumping behind trees, bushes, or whatever else is in reach, all out of sight.

    Squeaky voices, in Draconic, are heard by all from their direction, almost trying to be brave, but proving to be quite the opposite:

    D1: "You are... in... in OUR land (gulp). It is we who are to... to ask... ask the questions."

    d2: "Yes! Yes! You tell them. Our land."

    d1: "Don't make us have to hu-hurt you. We will if we have too!"

    D2: "We will allow safe passage... under one... yes, one condition..."

    The combat sequence ends. Xavier and Bear Ghost are now aware of the dragons and everyone has now caught at least a glimpse of them, as they peek around the bush or tree that they are hiding behind. Anyone can speak or act.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Xavier Alexis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    Xavier: My name is Xavier Alexis and my friends and I come in peace. I only wish to speak with you about a pressing concern that has led us to your home and threatens all of your kind. Now, please have no fear and show yourselves.

    (I rolled a 6 plus 40 ranks in Diplomacy equals 46).

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Leena's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

    I glare intensely at dragon d1, my eyes full of hate. Even Reli starts to growl.
    "One more threat from you and you'll wish you never groveled out of that disgusting little egg shell from which you came."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •