Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 1684
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus retires to Ameiko, his mind troubled. There was something missing here, something that would tie all the threads together. Who would know Sirus personally? Who can create ghasts and ghouls? Who would and why?

    He eats in his usual way and then retires in a table. When he sees Brin, henods to himself and approaches.

    It is time I talked with the Pharasmin.

    "Brin. Do you. Have. A moment? There is. Something. Important. To tell you."

    If Brin follows, Sirus orders some more food,drinks and/or pastry of her choice, having seen the Pharasmin 's appetite. When they settle, Sirus takes a moment to gather his thoughts. How to say that he has been visited by a god?

    "You are. A follower. Of. The Lady. As you. Have seen. So am I. Thus. It is important. To share. With you. Something.

    You may have. Guessed. That I am not. From here. I am. Originally. From Taldor. I became. A follower. Of Pharasma. When one. Of her. Clerics. Helped me. Escape. A bad. Life.

    I did not. Came here. By accident. I was. Sent here. By Pharasma. I had. Dreams. Visions. I chose to. Believe. That I was. Not. Delusional. And that indeed. Our Lady. Wanted me. Here. But secretly. I always. Feared. That I had misunderstood."


    Sirus looks at Brin directly.

    "I have. Not. When. We fought. Nuallia. When. Chippy. Died."

    Pause. That was still hard.

    "I was. Visited. By Pharasma 's. Servant. By. Birthed-In-Sorrow..

    He came. To me. He spoke. To me. He told. Me. That. There was. Important. Work. To be done. That. Pharasma. Has conceded. Letting me. Pursue. Her goals.

    And then. You came. This. Cannot be. A coincidence.

    I believe. We have. A calling. To follow. When this. All of this. Is over. If I am. Worthy. I have. Plans. I have. A vision. I believe. It could be. That we. Are meant. To follow it. Together."

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Thoroughly disturbed,
    No truth forthcoming,
    All Rico'd said in the Garrison,
    Comforting, with words dry and hollow,
    But grating it forth in stubborn conviction,

    "Justice. Will. Be. Done."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    More questions, more hints, no answers. For the first time in a long time, Brin doesn't feel like indulging in a night of drunken revelry. Her head hurt, a combination of hunger, guilt, and too much thinking.

    She exits the lockup spends a solid hour just walking around, trying to calm her thoughts. It wasn't working. She had a feeling that only taking down the killer would calm the dull throb in her temples, and she doubted she would stumble across the ghast or any hypothetical necromancer while drifting around town.

    She cuts her ramble short and heads to the Rusty Dragon, settling her bill and paying an advance to keep her room before settling in for the rare (for her) quiet meal. She concentrates so completely on the food that she doesn't notice Sirus until he drops into the seat across from her.

    She listens to the half-orc's halting speech, surprised that the taciturn Sirus would produce so many words at once. Clearly he'd been thinking about this for a while. But then who wouldn't be pondering over a visit from Birthed-in-Sorrow? Directly conversing with a divine herald is a rare gift even for the most highly anointed clergy. Her eyes widen and lips pucker as if to whistle in amazement at Sirus's revelation, but she holds back her breath.

    She believes him, oddly enough. The claims were incredible, but from what she'd seen of the man, lying wasn't in his nature, and he didn't seem delusional. Still, his conclusions were hasty.

    She shakes her head as Sirus finishes. "You spoke with the herald, not me. You were chosen, not me. Maybe there's a reason for that." She replies, her voice soft and introspective. "I have no plans, no calling, no destiny to speak of. I used to believe in fate, but then..." She pauses for a moment, rummaging through her pack to find a slightly battered mahogany box. She pushes her half-finished plate aside and sets the box down, then gently opens it to reveal a deck of well-worn harrow cards, hand-painted in a centuries-old design.

    "My mother--well, adopted mother--could read the future with these. I mean really see it. Weeks and months ahead. Important things. Trivial things. Even I could manage a few days, young as I was."


    She shakes her head. "Now, though, real prophecy is dead. It died with Aroden. Even with the help of the Goddess, I'd be lucky to catch a glimpse of events an hour hence, and even that much is a hazy web of conflicting possibilities. I'm lucky. These days most Pharasmin seers are mad, or, worse, charlatans."

    "It taught me an important lesson about looking too far ahead, Sirus. We don't know what comes next. Even the Gods don't seem to know, and how can I believe in things like fate and destiny and divine plans when even the Gods can't see past the present?

    "Me meeting you might just be a coincidence. It might not. Either way, I'm not one to dwell on it. All I know is that there's important business here and now, the very type of wickeness that the Goddess takes her keenest interest in, and I can't stand by and let it continue. I know that you can't either."

    "After that...."
    She gives a non-committal shrug and returns the cards back in her pack. "All I can say is that I'll not shirk my obligations to the Goddess, whatever form they take."

    Not any more, at least, she silently adds, Caizarlu's imagine once more flashing across her vision.

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Taladron


    Despite spending several hours in Quink's study looking for anything and everything that might aid you in a possible upcoming fight against a ghoul, the results are hardly as helpful you might have wished for. Ghouls are not the most common of the undead and where accounts of travelers and pathfinders detail having fought with those monstrosities, the general strategy seems to have inevitably been to keep hitting the ghouls as hard and as fast possible before the entire party was slain.

    On a brighter note, Caizarlu had warned you about the ability of the ghast to paralyse even elves, and you find that the books do indeed corroborate his advice. They also bring up something that the old necromancer failed to mention - that the noxious stench of the ghast often sickens even the most hardened, and that those engaging with a ghast would do well to keep their distance.

    Looking for advice on spells gets you a little further. Once again, you discover that Caizarlu was correct to inform you that both ghouls and ghasts are more inured against healing magic than most types of undead. You also learn that the creatures cannot be mentally charmed in any way, nor are they subject to afflictions of the body. Anything that directly damages their putrid flesh, whether by flame or arcane energy, seems to have worked best.

    As regards ghoul fever, there doesn't seem to be a herbal cure for the early stages. However, you do find occasional instances of where the natural resistance of those who have been bitten or clawed by ghouls has allowed them to fight through the resultant necrotic fever. A quick visit to a cleric able to cure diseases also seems to have worked well.

    Unfortunately, you can find no mention in the peerages or otherwise of anyone wise in the ways of fighting ghouls and ghasts. A chance peek over your shoulder from Brodert Quink and the subsequent coversation that follows does, however, yield some interesting information.

    "Caizarlu? Mm. You wouldn't mean a Caizarlu Zerren, would you? Used to be infamous in Magnimar, that one. The Gallowed kept him in the ranks as a caster and they were damned proud of being the only street gang with a master of magic. Until of course, they discovered he was busy on the side raising the corpses of dead Gallowed members to make his own private army. Say what you will about the Sczarni, but they're family people. Didn't like the idea of turning brothers into slaves one bit and they ran him out of town."

    *****

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Red wins PvP held in dice thread. Mwahahaha!


    Somewhere on a beach just by Sandpoint, Red shakes her head even as she offers Setsuna a small waterskin from her pack. "It was not... strength. The armour... Rico made me buy. It is lighter... easier to move."

    Sighing quietly to herself, Red looks up at the autumn moon overhead. It was a sickle crescent tonight, glowing bright against the blackness. It looked a little like the kama that Sirus always wore.

    "... Do you think we did the right thing? Today."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus remains his usual expressionless self when Brin finishes. There were things worth thinking about.

    Perhaps he had been approaching things wrongly. Pharasma had work for him, yes. But maybe it was not a series of pre-ordained challenges, as he tacitly assumed. The last few weeks had dulled the feeling that carried him here: The sense of a calling in need of answer, a feeling of wrongness if need of confronting. The tragic events of Nualia had made Sirus think that the enemy would always be clear and the tasks sharply defined.

    But... perhaps not.

    Sirus slowly nods.

    "This has been. Enlightening. Perhaps. I have. Been. Too focused. On unknown. Certainties. Instead. Of possibilities. Thank you.

    But. I would ask. That. You also. Consider. The reverse. For. Yourself.

    Could there. Be. Something more. Than. Not shirking. Duty? I know. You will. Not. Perhaps. You. Have. A bigger role. In Pharasma 's. Scheme?

    Nothing is. For certain, yes. But does that. Mean. That certainty. Is nothing?

    Perhaps. We can meet. In the middle."


    And with that, Sirus bows and retires.

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Rejecting Red's assertion that it was her armor that gave her the victory, "That is not true. It may have helped some, but when we sparred before your attacks were not nearly this strong or precise. The armor is not responsible for that."

    When asked if they did the right thing however, Setsuna gazes up toward the crescent moon too, resting her eyes on the barely visible shadowed section of it. "...I think letting the necromancer go without killing him was right, but Grayst-san...no." Sighing as well and shaking her head, the tiefling looks back down, "I do not know how we could have done better, but I should have tried to do something."



    Spoiler
    Show

    Red's damage may not've really increased mechanically, but with all those crits that's how it felt.

    Not sure if Setsuna would know about the Moonscar, or how visible it would be during a crescent moon.

    What would be the roll for that thing anyway? Planes? Geography? How well known is it?
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Red nods in agreement and sighs again, unconsciously rubbing the spot on her upper arm that had once been broken. Usually, she would have said nothing. Kept her thoughts bottled up on the inside, to take out again when she was drunk and sad.

    But since she'd come back from being dead, things had changed somehow. Everything seemed a little brighter, a little lighter. She was living on someone else's time and she knew it. What was she to do with a second chance if not make the most of it? And what was she doing with that chance if she couldn't help someone else who was dying?

    "I... I wish we had... saved him. I wanted... to help save people. Because Mister Fox... helped save me." Red closes her eyes and feels her hair whisked by night breeze, taking breaths as deep as she can manage, filling her lungs with salty air. It was odd, so odd a feeling to be alive. "... I did not say so. Before. When I was dead... there was... a white snake creature. It said that Mister Fox... was supposed to be the one... to come back alive. But he was letting me go... instead." Red's low voice trembles at this, wavering with emotion. "I keep thinking... I must do something. To not waste this... But I do not know what..."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-23 at 12:23 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Caught off guard by Red's sudden confession, it takes the weary tiefling a moment to figure out how to reply. That sounds like him...I wonder if I would've been strong enough to do the same?

    Trying to be comforting, Setsuna puts a hand on Red's shoulder while ignoring the painful sensation caused by raising her arm up, finally speaking up in a warm voice, "Just do what your heart tells you is right, and if it objects to something, stop it. There are many people who need help, so we will just have to help them where we can. But I do not think Cipriano would have wanted you to tear yourself up about what to do. He trusted that you would do the right thing with your life, even if you do not know what it is yet...and so do I."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    "But-" Red instinctively tries to protest before quietening down, staring down at the black sand with eyes narrowed in pain. I don't even trust myself...

    Oh, she'd spent time at the chapel. And at one of the smaller taverns, with a mug of ale in hand. Trying to talk to Cayden Cailean. Sort things out. It couldn't be a coincidence that another cleric of the Accidental God had saved her like this. But in her experience, though the gods were pretty good with the divine interventions, they had never been very forthcoming with explaining themselves. Typical.

    She tries to explain again. "Helping people... this is... a small thing. Saving a life... is a big thing. Giving up a life... is bigger... than everything else. I do not think... I can ever... make up. For that."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Rubbing his sore eyes after so long spent combing through texts, Taladron thanks Brodert and wishes him a good night.

    A little disappointed that he didn't learn much that was new, other than that ghasts emit some sort of sickening odor, he was able to confirm much of the information Caizarlu gave him. I also learned a little bit about Caizarlu now that I think about it. I hope I was right in advising his requests being fulfilled. His past seems to be as shady as his profession, but the information he provided was invaluable. I suppose I shall just chalk it up as an even trade and leave it at that.

    Leaving Broderts residence, Taladron makes his way through the streets until he reaches the Rusty Dragon. Once there, he will try to pass on what he learned about Ghasts and Ghouls, but he will keep the information on Caizarlu to himself. No need to re-ruffle any feathers is there? Taladron will then get a quick bite to eat before heading home to trance/rest for the next day.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna



    Thinking back on the start of her journey, just over two years ago now, Setsuna tries to relay a little bit of wisdom that actually managed to get through to her. "Before I made it to Sandpoint, when I just started traveling, I realized that if I started to ponder what I could possibly do to atone I would go mad. You should not worry about what you can not know, just focus on what you can do, and I am sure you will make Cipriano-san proud. I do not think he would have wanted you to feel as though you owed him, either."

    Considering whether or not to say more, she takes a moment before continuing, "And helping people is not that small. Every person you help can go on to help more people. Every little bit of good you do can have a very big impact, even if you are not there to see it."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    But if I'm not there to see it, then how would I know if I made any impact at all?

    Still, Red isn't about to argue the point. Not when neither she nor Setsuna really knew what Cipriano had wanted anyway. (What had Cipriano been thinking?) Breathing out heavily, she grasps for Setsuna's hand and briefly squeezes the tiefling's warm fingers to thank her. It was nice to have someone to talk to at a time like this. When Rico was distant with her own grief.

    "... I will try..." Red presses Setsuna's hand to her forehead and closes her eyes. I must try.

    *****

    GM post

    Day 24: Lamashan 15, 4707

    Note to all players: As mentioned before, unless Mira reports in before the party departs, Rico will be assumed to be hanging around in Sandpoint itself doing stuff and will NOT be with the party.

    It is now 0830hrs.


    You wake up the next morning to find the sky completely shrouded in grey. There are bloated rain clouds with fat swagging bellies looming overhead, emitting an occasional rumble of thunder. A squall has blown in while you slept and judging from the hint of moisture in the air, it is almost certain to break within a few hours.

    Nevertheless, gloomy weather aside, the day's prospects seem fair enough. A quick check with a passing watchman informs you that nobody has apparently been murdered in the meanwhile, and there have been no sightings of any ghouls whatsoever within the immediate vicinity of Sandpoint. That's cheering enough, for the time being.

    As those of you who rise on time polish off your breakfast, you are hailed by an unexpected visitor - Hannah Velerin, the healer, who already reeks of tangy sweet-smelling smoke despite the early hour.

    "Ah. Hello again. Sister of the Grave Lady. Goblin slayers. I was wondering if I would find you here." Hannah seems to glide instead of walk, her leather apron and flowing verdant dress at odds with the more sombre and practical dress of the clientele. She floats dreamily through the dining hall of the Rusty Dragon like a bemused butterfly in your direction. "I was on my way back to my abode to take my rest. But I thought I would let you know that Sheriff Hemlock has managed to put our poor friends from the Haven of Respite up in one of the bunks at the Garrison. He'd thought to try the cells, but when I saw those bars... that bare darkness... I knew it would not be good for broken minds and persuaded him otherwise. They will be quite comfortable there until the Mayor can make alternative arrangements for them in Magnimar."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-24 at 10:11 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    None of you seem to be interested in hearing about the fate of the lunatics but fortunately enough, Hannah Velerin doesn't seem to notice. She continues to chatter happily on about everything from the brewing storm to what a darling Pidgit is ("He's shaved his head bald, whiskers and all, and now he looks uglier than ever! Pity he's a were-rat. It'll all grow back by night fall, you know.") and to what condiments the elf intends to add to her tea later on ("Ever tried wolfberry and chrysanthemum? It is most delicate.")

    Once Hannah toddles off, your group quickly decide to take your leave, lest the storm breaks before you are detained by more Sandpoint locals intent on regaling you with the intimate details of their daily toil.

    *****

    The sky overhead continues to rumble threateningly as you head out of Sandpoint's north gate, following the winding curves of the Lost Coast Road eastward towards the Nettlewood. The view of the churning sea and the pluming storm clouds from the cliffs is a magnificent one, but if anything, it only reminds you of the urgency of arriving at your destination in time. If it were to rain now, the trip would almost certainly be a wasted one.

    Those of you who are familiar with the Sandpoint region have heard a little about Pauper's Grave. As the name suggests, it was once where itinerant Varisian caravans and the early settlers alike buried their dead. Since the construction of the Sandpoint Boneyard, however, the ancient grounds had grown fallow. Of course, there were always rumours of the area having fallen to a plague of ghosts, with cold fog and strange laughter on the loneliest of nights. But for all the daring (or drunk) locals who had ever plucked up the courage to peek into the abandoned graveyard at night, none of these rumours had ever been substantiated...

    Shortly before arriving at the Nettlewood, you take a quick detour off the road and into the forest. A hasty push through several patches of prickly briars later and after picking your way through clumps of trees twisted with age, you find yourself facing what at first glance looks very much like an overgrown clearing filled with tangled grass and fallen boughs, the odd bare tree clawing its way up through the crowded field and grasping feebly for the sky.

    It is difficult to tell where Pauper's Grave begins and the forest ends. The stone fence that once demarcated its boundaries has long since been scavenged, with only a few sporadic sections of wall still standing. There is no gate to be found, nor any gravestones. (Given the wealth of those who buried their dead here though, that is perhaps to be expected.) In fact, the only indication that this must indeed be Pauper's Grave is a worn statue that rises over the middle of the clearing, depicting what appears to be a delicate woman dancing before a large circular panel.

    In the distance, lightning flashes over the sea, arcing through the sky.

    Knowledge (religion) DC 15 / no check needed if you're familiar with Varisian culture
    Spoiler
    Show
    This statue shows the Empyreal Lord Ashava in splendour before the full moon. Ashava the True Spark, as you know, is a guardian of lonely souls and her image is often erected in graveyards as a sign that this is a place where lost and wandering souls can rest.

    Perception DC 12 (only if you identified Ashava)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You also note disturbingly enough, however, that the holy medallion that the statue ought to be wearing on her bosom as a sign of consecration is nowhere to be seen. Moreover, there even appears to be odd profane writing scrawled on the flowing skirts of the statue...
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-25 at 08:23 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Having been somewhat absent-minded during breakfast after a morning spent reviewing her spellbook and adding a bit of necromancy to her daily repitoire to counter any ghouls they might find, Setsuna missed the chance to ask about those who were moved from the sanatorium, but was nonetheless relieved to hear that they seem to be doing well enough. At Pauper's Grave however, there are more immediate concerns than the fate of an insane wererat to worry about.

    "I suppose we do not have long, it will be hard to find any thing when that storm reaches us. We should hurry."

    Following her own advice, Setsuna starts searching around, looking for any freshly dug patches in the ground, footprints of anything larger than a goblin, and anything else that might be the sign of ghouls rising from the graves. Not knowing the statue for anything more than a grave marker, the tiefling starts at the outer edge of the site, or at least as near enough she can tell, given the rundown nature of the walls that mark its edges, and circles the place, spiraling inward in the hopes of finding something.

    Spoiler
    Show

    The +1 perception is looking for clues. I'm feeling confidant about this one. /sarcasm

    Perception (1d20+1)[8]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Rico arrives at the Rusty, shortly after Hannah. The burning glare in her wolvish eyes speaks of a guilt and grief, confusion and frustration channeled into a barely bottled wrath.

    Dust and grass and dry leaves already stain her duty-boots and heavy coat, shuddering off as she stamps on Ameiko's rug, out of courtesy. The halforc constable grunts her gratitude at Bethana as she grabs a pitcher of water and drains the whole lot, then settles herself down into a seat beside Red and Setsuna, slumping with a snort.

    Though the breakfast hours are not yet too far gone, it seems Rico had already been up for some time. Already she reeks of sweat. Already her full kitbag has been packed at stands seemingly at attention beside her boots. Mornlight gleams on her freshly oiled and mended armour, her wide-brimmed helmet only loosened from its duty-readiness for the brief respite of her drink. Her battle-table's stem rests across her mailed lap, the right hand that had just released the pitcher's handle now caresses the carven dragon-head of her sword's pommel.

    Hearing Hannah's news, Rico nods, rumbles in her throat. Her ears flick twice, then flush back against her head as she closes her eyes--- yet still sees their brokenness, hears their madness, feels their filth, rails how The LAW was unable, is unable, to properly care for them, her lip curling in a hidden snarl, her spine tingling as the Garrison door closed behind her--- and says, "Hrhmm. 'Sgood. Dark, dank places. These ain't good for... folk who been through crap.

    ...Arright. Y'all good ta go? Letsch dead us some dedders, eh?"


    With the darkening sky, so too does Rico's scowl grow. As they travel, she leads their pack, knowing... hoping that any bandits or monstrosities might leap on her first.

    She knows her place.

    When they encounter the wild mess of briars Rico spits and sighs. Glad for her gauntlets and her shield, she unships her hatchet and hacks a passage through, then stomps flat the thorny shrubberies that fall to her bushwhacking.

    Upon seeing the statue, Rico scowls yet again and sighs. She'd heard tell of this one, at least in part, from watchman's ears on Varisian travellers over the years, from random tidbits from Red's stories and from some of... Cipriano's private sermons and lectures.

    She points at the desecration with her axe before she returns it to its belt-hoop, then says to Brin and Sirus, "Ahoy, ye holies. Wotta y'all make o' this? Reckon it be needin' a re-blessing, or sumfink along those lines?"

    Rico lets her battle-table rest on her hip a moment as she tightens her blessed heritage hat's knot around her neck, caressing the mess of scar tissue there, now hidden beneath a brass gorget. Nodding in silent agreement with Setsuna, she sets out on a track opposite to hers, hoping to find some clues as well on the other side of the graveyard, looking to meet up with her in the middle. She casts about every so often as well, wary of foes from the forest, of the impending storm out to sea, and wary of her other teammates' progress of tracking.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Regarding the poor friggen madmen and the early hours of the morning: Yes, Rico woke with the dawn, as she is wont to do. Warmed up, packed up, helped with the graveyard shift of Watch patrols. Helped with the patients' "resettlement". Her bed at the Garrison would probably have been among those "donated".

    Know:Religion--- Hopefully waived, given the reasons written in the IC post.
    Perception: (1d20+11)[14]
    Survival: (1d20+7)[22]

    Ranger +2s, if, for some reason, rolls are fiend-related. Please feel free to convert to Aid Anothers if these roll way low. Thank you.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-02-26 at 02:39 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Before leaving, Sirus takes Hannah aside and gives her 12 gps for her expenses and the expenses of the unfortunate relocated souls. It was not much, but it was something.

    During the trip, Sirus remains his usual silent self. From time to time, he asks questions about fighting the undead to Brin and Taladron. Can they be tripped? Hit with a glove? and so in and so forth.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Any answers would be welcome!


    His nonexistent knowledge of theurgy does not allow him to recognize the statue for what it is, but he nevertheless starts looking for signs and clues in the immediate area.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+11)[17]

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    The elf remains quiet as Hannah explains the fate of the asylum's patients, concentrating on her meal (a rather enjoyable one, since she' not fighting off a hangover for once). She raised an eyebrow as Sirus forks over a handful of coins for their cares. Isn't rescuing them from the mad doctor and the necromancer in his basement enough? But she holds her tongue on the matter. After all, it's not like she made a habit of investing her own money wisely.

    On the trek to the forlorn graveyard, she does her best to answer Sirus's questions, though she doesn't have terribly much insight to offer. She had no experience with ghouls, but she didn't see why they couldn't be upended as easily as a living body, and using a gloved hand seemed like it might offer some protection from their paralyzing touch. "And I've taken some measures in case it doesn't." She adds with a wink.

    She does her best to ignore the threatening squall as they make their final push through the overgrown briars of Nettlewood and into the clearing of the old graveyard. The despoiled statue stick out like a sore thumb, and Brin nods her agreement to Rico's observation.

    "Someone's certainly been up to no good here. Bad enough that they didn't want Ashava looking over their shoulder."
    She closes in on the statue, taking a closer look at the unholy script marring the Empyreal Lord's drappings. "I don't think I can rededicate the shrine, but maybe it will restore itself if I can remove these marks...and see if you can find a medallion around here somewhere. If we're lucky, whoever did this merely tossed it away instead of destroying it."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception and knowledge (religion) to examine the shrine and see if there's any way it can be restored.

    Per: [roll1d20+9[/roll]
    Know: (1d20+8)[27]
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-02-26 at 04:42 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brin's Perception check (which didn't roll in Bhaakon's post): (1d20+9)[19]


    Brin

    The statue of Lord Ashava is cracked at its mossy base, her skirt chipped and blackened with age, not to mention that her arms, raised joyfully towards the sky, are missing several fingers. Moreover, statue's face is streaked with bird droppings and seems to have been ground down by wind, its features barely visible. Even the graffiti - black ink which appears to be in some sort of code - reveals itself to be weathered and fading at the edges upon closer look. Clearly, this shrine has been neglected for years, if not decades.

    Restoring the holy medallion to the statue would almost certainly prevent Pauper's Grave from being used by undead or those who with the power to command them. (While Lord Ashava is no goddess, her power is certainly great enough to ensure that a burial ground remains quite sacred.) Finding a cleric or of Ashava who would be able to perform the proper rites to consecrate a medal and bestow it upon the statue, however, would probably require you to go to Magnimar - where worship of this Empyreal Lord flourishes.

    *****

    Rico

    As far as Rico can tell, nobody else has been out and about in Pauper's Grave for at least the past week. Although she strains her eyes for tracks or signs that someone else - a ghast perhaps - has been this way, the only flattened grass seems to have come from the others who are tramping around the place in search of anything suspicious. There certainly isn't any foul odour, at any rate, so there isn't a active ghast around, nor any dead bodies.

    There isn't any sign of a medallion either.

    *****

    Setsuna and Sirus and Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Red's checks:
    Perception: (1d20+7)[24]
    Survival: (1d20+7)[21]


    Although there are no gravestones here, those of you who try searching the area nevertheless find it rough going. Within the broken stone boundaries, the ground is bumpy and uneven, strewn with fallen boughs and branches. You soon realise, perhaps with a shiver of horror, that these raised tussocks are in fact burial sites - you are climbing and standing on ancient graves, unmarked and unnamed.

    While Setsuna wanders around the perimeter, quite lost in the sea of wild grass, Sirus and Red have better luck. At the base of one of the taller trees whose heaviest branches have apparently fallen in some recent storm, Red pauses, catching a shift the movement of air as she walks by. Motioning to Sirus, the two of them approach the tree and upon clearing away the branches, discover a hole leading into the ground that is large enough to accommodate a crawling full-grown orc.

    There are no recent tracks around this hole. It doesn't seem to have been recently used, though the air movement suggests that it must go for quite a way under Pauper's Grave.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-26 at 08:04 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus



    Walking swiftly back, Sirus quietly draws the attention of the others.

    "There is. A hole. Going underground. No recent marks. But goes in deep."

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Finished with her examination of the statue, Brin frowns ever so slightly and straightens her back. As I feared, not much to be done here. Maybe if they'd built a shrine to the Lady, instead...

    The Sirus grabs her attention with mention of a hole in the ground.

    "I guess we're going down, then." She replies with a resigned sigh. Close quarters combat underground wasn't exactly her strength, but it was only to be expected that any undead would retreat into lightless burrow to escape the sun.

    She follows the monk's lead back to the hole, where her tight frown deepens. "Ugh, not even large enough to stand."

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Glancing up from her fruitless search, Setsuna notices Sirus motioning for everyone to come over and makes her way toward the hole.

    "We need to know where this goes." In a rare moment of planning ahead, the tiefling takes the roll of rope off its hook on her waist, "Let me go first, I can see in the dark so I would not need a light that could warn anything down there that I am coming, and if a ghoul is down there then you can pull me out."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Brin nods her agreement with Setsuna's plan, quietly relieved that someone else had volunteered. "Just retreat if you find anything. Whatever dug out these burrows is probably more used to fighting in cramped quarters than any of us."

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Only half listening to Hannah explain about the asylum patients, Taladron eats his breakfast in silence, focusing on the violence he expects the day will bring.

    On the way to the graveyard, Taladron can be heard grumbling to himself against the wind. His parents had always loved when the weather got a little bit wild, but Taladron was always much happier indoors with a warm fire on such days. No wonder the watch didn't see anything last night. Even the dead have enough sense to stay out of this weather.

    At the graveyard, Taladron recognizes the statue, but is too distracted by the weather to notice much more than that. He waits for the others to find some clues, but personally, without obvious signs of grave-robbing, Taladron was starting to think that this may have been a waste of time.

    That is until Sirus and Red stumble upon the hole. Naturally curious, Taladron was thinking of how to make going down the hole safer, Should I send an Earth Elemental down? Or a Flaming sphere to clear it out first? But what if that damages something important?, when Setsuna bravely volunteers for crawling in the earth.

    "Maybe I can be of help." Taladron says as he digs a short bit of copper wire out of his spell component pouch. He focuses on it for a moment whispering before he points his finger at Setsuna. He then returns the wire and says, There. That should allow you and I to whisper messages over a distance for the most of the hour. If you need to be pulled up or see something just let me know." Taladron shuffles his feet a little bit before saying rather awkwardly, "I um... I wish I could do more to help out. Just make sure you are careful okay?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Message: Can send and receive whispered messages from the person I point at for 10min/level (40mins) DC 25 Perception check for others to listen in on the messages, the spell has a range of 140ft. and does not need a straight path to the target.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2014-02-26 at 08:10 PM.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Storms didn't usually worry Red. It was a poor sell-sword that couldn't stand an outdoors ducking or hold her ground when the sky was streaked bright with lightning. But there is something about the graveyard that has her on edge. It wasn't right to be stomping all over these dead people. Her mother was buried in a place like this. And without Ashava to guide them, who knew what popped out of the ground on starless nights?

    "... The ghouls... they can paralyse... with a touch, right?" Red stares grimly down into the hole. Signs of abandonment or not, whatever made a hole that big wasn't going to be happy if it found intruders. And who knew where the hole ended? Or where it led to? "What if... it touches you... before you can tell Mister Taladron?"
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    "Red. Is right. I will. Go down. With you. That way. One. Will be able. To call. For help.

    I can. See. In the dark. And. I can. Be silent."


    Sirus gets ready to go down with Setsuna.

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Nodding at Sirus, Setsuna turns back to Red, "That is a risk I will have to take, but I doubt it will be able to do that before I can react at all. And with Sirus-san going as well, I am not worried."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    The idea of ghouls lurking down in dark tunnels was not a pleasant one. But it wasn't as though there was anything Red could do about it.

    Picking her spool of silk rope out of her pack, she offers it to Setsuna. "This will hurt less... when you pull on it," she says quietly. "Be safe."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    "You are lucky this is a cantrip..." mutters Taladron as he recasts his spell, this time including both Sirus and Setsuna as targets.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Recasting Message: This time with 2 targets instead of one (duration and distance does not change I can merely speak to both of them and hear both of them)
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Note: There will be no map for now unless necessary. (e.g. combat) Also, since this was not clarified, unless otherwise stated, only Setsuna has a rope tied to some part of her body.

    Sirus and Setsuna

    Lowering themselves into the dark hole, the two of you who have volunteered to explore begin to inch forward in the cramped tunnel, with Setsuna in the lead.

    The soil in the hole is moist, rich with the smell of earth and damp plants. If you reach out to touch the sides, the soil initially crumbles away easily in your hand like cake. But as you move forward however, the earth around you gradually grows harder, used and smoothed by whatever had previously used the tunnel. Fortunately enough for Sirus and Setsuna, the tunnel does widen after about fifteen feet or so, allowing the two of you to proceed carefully on your feet, Sirus's pate almost brushing the top of the narrow tunnel.

    The darkness poses no obstacle to the two of you, allowing you both to see in here as clearly as day. At first, there is nothing to report than the odd tree root protruding from the walls and the faint reverberations of dripping water somewhere up ahead - there must be a leak somewhere, or perhaps the tunnel leads to the sea cliffs. Nor are there any footprints to be found in this tunnel, for the soil underfoot is packed too hard to pick up the impression of feet. This tunnel, for all appearances, is deserted. Should you choose to relay this information to Taladron your voice sounds oddly loud to your ears, being amplified in such close confines.

    You have both proceeded almost 60 feet long this tunnel when you sense a change in the air currents - there is an open space just ahead of you. Moving along as quietly as you can, you discover that the tunnel leads to a small trench-like chamber, the ground abruptly dipping below your feet. There is no danger of you falling in though, for you find, perhaps to your disgust and horror, that the trench is filled to the brim with hundreds of bones and skulls, each one gnawed quite clean of flesh. You don't have to be a surgeon to recognise these skeletons to be humanoid in origin. Something or someone has been nibbling on the corpses once buried here.

    On the other side of the chamber are three other tunnels which would appear to be leading you even further and deeper underground.

    Perception DC 15 (due to the darkvision of Sirus and Setsuna)
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you stare into any of the tunnels, you quickly spot the faint gleam of several pairs of eyes gazing back intently at you. You are most definitely not alone, nor has your approach gone unnoticed.


    *****

    Everyone Else outside

    Setsuna is already on her second length of rope and you're not sure how much further she and Sirus could explore into the tunnel. And what to do after you all run out of things to tie together to use as a safety line?

    Those of you gazing anxiously down into the hole are startled when a large flock of passing birds - crows or some sort of raven, from the looks of their beak and plumage - decide to alight on the tallest tree in frantic flurrying of wings and a raucous burst of cawing. If birds can smell trouble, that's certainly not a good sign.

    Perception DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    You quickly realise that there is something wrong with these birds. For one, none of them posses any eyes - instead, empty sockets stare out of their tiny bullet heads. They also bring with them flies, buzzing furiously around the birds. The birds themselves are also clearly quite ill, most of them moulting feathers and with tumours on their feet.

    Knowledge (religion) DC 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    These birds are a carrionstorm - a flock of crows infected with some undead taint like zombie or ghoul fever, usually from living in too close proximity to a undead haunt or from feeding on undead flesh. Carrionstorms eat only living flesh, and they seem to have some connection to Urgathoa, showing an odd reverence for the symbol of the Pallid Princess.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-28 at 01:28 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    ...notices the eyes. With slow movements, he tugs Setsuna and urgently motions for them to withdraw. He also whispers to Taladron.

    "Not alone. Down here. We have. Been noticed."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, that is what I suggest. Head back and come back in force. We are scouting, after all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •