Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1684
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Realizing she's been through worse, Setsuna doesn't let crawling through the grave-dirt bother her, but is nonetheless thankful when her and Sirus reach an area that they can stand in.

    Doing her best not to look bothered by the trench of death that they'd found, Setsuna notices the eyes watching them just before the monk tries to draw her attention over there. Without taking her eyes off the gleam of their potential enemies, the tiefling follows Sirus' lead and backs off while keeping a hand on Maethilur's hilt and whispering, "If they know we are here they might not let us leave. It would be better to fight now than be attacked while crawling away."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus nods his agreement, relaxing his body with slow breaths.

    "I have. Notified. The others. Let us. Then. Move on."

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Yet again, Rico scowls while nodding her agreement
    Lending her own rope to their scouts' bent
    She glares at the flock of carrionfowl
    "Omen o' things dark an' foul..."
    She says, jutting her jaw
    Towards many a caw
    "...so said me ol' cap'n.
    Red? Please prepare ta 'elp 'em back up.
    Tal? Brin? Y'all got a light?"

    Rico kneels, loads, aims her crossbow
    At the boughs laden with many a stormcrow
    Looses her bolt--- or two, or three--- once they'd been mage-lit.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Ma'am? Appreciate the Art of War reference there.

    Alrighty. Depending on how long they have...
    Holding ready to re-arm with sword and shield, defend the hole from unknown nasties beyond the treeline.

    No, I'm not going metagamey. IC reasons? Watchman's paranoia, blended with old mariners' traditions and superstitions. Loose some bolts once they're mage-lit, aiming for where there's the most rustling in the shrubberies. Aim for tree-trunks, if possible, to minimize risk of collateral damage, if that is a risk. Medieval fantasy version of going "FLARE! fshunk! Fwoomf!".

    Better to be sure of what we're facing, eh?

    And no, I did NOT check the spoiler. Missed the DC. I like honesty.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-02-28 at 12:15 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    "They're just birds. Help me find some more cord, and stop being so paran..." Brin swallows the last word as her eyes widen enough to show slivers of white around their great, gray irises.

    Eyes, tumorous, covered in sores and rot, dripping pus and sloughing off sickly feathers. Such infected murders were mercifully rare, but a sight not soon forgotten.

    "A carrionstorm" She murmurs, then adds in a stronger voice. "They're undead, or near enough as doesn't matter." She gives the rope two hard yanks, hoping Sirus and Setsuna will take it as a sign of trouble.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brin has no light spells, though I'm not sure why one is needed. It's stormy out, not dark.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    "It seems that Sirus and Setsuna may also have run into some trouble. They have been spotted by something." Says Taladron as he turns his attention to the crows, now noticing their sickly appearance. "I will send a message to Sirus and Setsuna. I also have a spell in mind should they get any closer."

    Taladron quickly whispers "We seem to have undead crows out here. Be careful, and return if you are too outnumbered I am unsure we will be able to reach you if you are paralyzed." And turns his attention to the crows with a spell on his lips and his fingers already starting to form the proper motions.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to cast Burning Hands should the crows engage delaying to get as many in the 15ft. cone as possible.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[8]


    Having fixed her attention wholly on the hole, Red gives the birds overhead an impatient scowl before looking back down, her fingers wrapped tightly around the rope, waiting to pay it out or or yank it back as the others directed. It is only when Brin and Taladron begin to talk about the undead crows that Red looks up and winces, fighting back the urge to yelp and run for the cover of the forest. She couldn't. What if Sirus and Setsuna needed help too?

    "... We cannot... stay here." Red's left hand reaches for the kukri at her side, gripping the leather wrapped horn handle tightly. If those birds came down here, there'd be no time to draw a bow.

    *****

    GM post

    Sirus and Setsuna


    At first, the eyes in the distance make no movement as you both approach the chamber once more. It is only when you move into the chamber itself, the bones creaking and shifting under your weight, that the eyes suddenly come alive and surge forward all at once in a chittering, roiling mass.

    It turns out that the eyes you espied belonged to a very, very large swam of rats. Several dozen, perhaps nearly hundreds, of the filthy half-starved wretches come boiling out of the darkness, halting on the edge of the three tunnels opposite you, their pinched noises quivering. Even in the darkness, they bring with them the horrific stink of mangy fur and droppings.

    The rats are likely to be hungry. Whether or not it was they who ate all the corpses in the pit is up for debate, but right now, it looks like they might decide to try lunching on you next.

    *****

    Everyone Else

    Curiously enough, the carrionstorm (or is that carrionstorms?) is content to perch in the tree, cawing obnoxiously to each other and tilting their heads eerily in your direction as though watching you very intently. Although about a score of them seem to instinctively bolt as Rico prepares her crossbow, rising back into the air and flying south-west as fast as they can, the rest are undeterred and remain right where they are.

    Perception DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your ears prick up as you realise that the crows are actually talking to each other in a low muttering croak beneath all their raucous cries. It is difficult to make out exactly what is being said, but if the tone is anything to go by, the carrionstorm sounds awfully repetitive and excited.

    For those who understand Necril or Aklo or Osiriani - If you know none of these languages, make a Knowledge (local) DC 16 check/ Linguistics DC 13
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't make out everything that is being said, but you do catch certain words being repeated over and over again, namely "master" and "found".
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-03-01 at 10:38 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Brin glance down at the burrow hole with concern, but the caw and babble of the dead ravens draws her attention back. Wait, babble? That's not right. Crows don't babble.

    "I think...I think they're talking." She whispers to the others with some confusion.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-03-01 at 09:19 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[9]

    ... Brilliant


    Red squints up at the birds, then glances at Brin in confusion. It all sounded like normal crow sounds to her. Did Brin understand bird-talk because she was an elf? Or was she going slightly mad?

    "Rico. Mister Taladron... are the birds saying... anything?"
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Taladron feels a chill as he listens to the crows speech. Some common roots from languages he has studied jump out at him from the dissonant chorus.

    "I..." Taladron swallows trying to force moisture to his suddenly dry throat. "I think they are saying Master and Found over and over again... But I can't tell if they think we are their master, or if that group left to report that they found us to their master."

    To Setsuna and Sirus he sends the message. "I think we should regroup... The crows are apparently intelligent and I believe they just sent a group off to tell other undead our location."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    "It's my job ta be paranoid!" Rico retorts at Brin, still sighting along her shaft at those crows that remain. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]"...Hrhmm! 'Carrionstorm', ye say? It don't sound good. Confirm, ma'am? Reckon one o' these'd get rid o' them? Or would that be just a exercise in futility? Tactical analysis? Wot in Asmodeus' arse can we do against these damned friggers? Or should we just do our damndest ta keep 'em offa ye an' Tal?"[/COLOR]

    "Damned straight." She says in agreement, with both Red and Taladron, still keeping the flock covered with her crossbow, but with her body tensed to cover her comrades with her shield and her body if need be. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]"Hellgirl! Sirus! Sitrep? Gotta getta safety soon!"[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-03-02 at 12:43 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus eyes the swarm as it approaches. Some fire would be nice about now. Well, too late.

    With a lunge, he lands near the swarm and stars low swarming kicks and powerful strokes, to crush as many of the rats as possible.

    Well, not sure how close the swarm is. If within 5ft, then spend a ki point for an additional FoB attack. IC, this represents the sweeping low kicks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    FoB atk1 (1d20+7)[25] dmg (1d8+5)[6]
    atk2 (1d20+7)[9] dmg (1d8+5)[13]
    atk3 (1d20+7)[9] dmg (1d8+5)[10]

    EDIT: Well, at least I spent some of my bad karma now...

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    AC 18 (-2 if I can charge, but irrelevant regardless)
    HP 28


    Reacting at almost the same instant Sirus lunges into action, Setsuna calls upon the arcane energy that she'd stored up and quickly reciting the necessary incatation to unleash it sends a wave of electricity crackling up and down Maethilur's black blade.

    Lagging only a few moments behind her half-orc companion, the magus dashes in low and makes a wide slash at the rat swarm, lightning arcing out into the rodents.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack (1d20+9)[23]+2 if I can charge (shame the rats aren't wearing metal, I'd have a +3!)
    Damage (1d8+5)[7] slashing + (4d6)[15] electricity

    Initiative (1d20+4)[14]
    Last edited by Desril; 2014-03-02 at 04:16 AM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Spoiler
    Show
    PCs Initiative:
    Sirus: (1d20+4)[23]
    Setsuna: rolled by player - 14

    Enemies:
    RS 1: (1d20+6)[17]
    RS 2: (1d20+6)[8]
    RS 3: (1d20+6)[24]


    Initiative Order:
    > 24 - Rat Swarm 3
    23 - Sirus
    17 - Rat Swarm 1
    14 - Setsuna
    8 - Rat Swarm 2


    *****

    Rat Swarm 3

    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

    Fort Save 1: (1d20+6)[21] - passed
    Fort Save 2: (1d20+6)[11] - failed

    Sirus's AoO - Attack: (1d20+9)[12], Damage: (1d8+5)[10] - missed


    Whether by instinct or by pure dumb luck, the rat pack to Sirus's right senses the half-orc's intent and decides to swarm him before he can strike at them - all the better to snatch a mouthful of warm flesh while they can.

    Shrieking and squeaking, the rats pour out into the chamber of bones in a frenzy, scurrying over cracked femurs and through broken ribcages. Once they have reached Sirus, they launch themselves at every part of his legs, with several of the more tenacious ones nipping savagely at his hands and arms, ignoring all attempts to slap them off.

    The rats are tiny creatures and they barely draw enough blood to faze Sirus. Nevertheless, where their ragged teeth have scored, Sirus feels a prickling, almost burning sensation flare up on his skin.

    Sirus has been infected with filth fever, the symptoms of which will kick in after 1d3 days unless cured.

    *****

    Sirus

    While the initial wave of rats manages to leap adroitly away from Sirus's feet, the next wave is not so lucky. Some get their heads crushed underfoot, other rats are flung off Sirus's legs with his powerful kicks, crashing against the walls of the cavern with such force that they expire on the spot, their fragile bones pulped within their little bodies.

    Not that this puts off the rat swam one bit. The rats that fall are promptly set upon by their fellows, who waste no time in devouring every corpse within reach.

    *****

    Rat Swarm 1

    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (1d6)[5]

    Fort Save 1: (1d20+6)[13] - passed
    Fort Save 2: (1d20+6)[15] - passed

    Setsuna's AoO - Attack: (1d20+9)[10], Damage: (1d8+5)[11] - missed

    Swarm takes half damage from slashing or piercing.


    The trace scent of blood in the air sends the remaining rats in the leftmost tunnel into a wide-eyed squirming flurry of excitement. High-pitched squeaks fill the air, echoing horribly in the narrow chamber, as the rats follow the lead of their fellows and dash towards Setsuna, biting and scratching wherever they can reach.

    *****

    Setsuna

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full action can take place since Rat Swarm 1 is occupying the same square as Setsuna and she doesn't need to use up a move action.


    It is difficult to concentrate with hundreds of hungry rats screaming and hurling themselves at her legs. Setsuna manages somehow though, bright blue electricity abruptly crackling off her katana blade as she finishes the incantation, setting the chamber ablaze with arcane light. Even as she sweeps Maethilur in a wide arc around her, smaller bolts are already arcing and leaping through the massed rats around her.

    Packed so close together, the rats don't stand a chance. Even a whisker is enough of a conduit for a current to run through and the rats around Setsuna quickly fall away - dead - the thick scorched odour of singed fur pluming and filling the air.

    Somewhere within Setsuna's head, Maethilur makes a sound of dry amusement. You seem to have improved on your rat-killing technique. I suppose it would help to prevent more situations like the last in that basement. But what are you going to do about all these other rats?

    Rat Swarm 1 is now dead.

    *****

    Rat Swarm 2

    Spoiler
    Show
    Movement only.


    The survivors of the swarm that Setsuna decimated quickly fall back, merging into the last rat pack that surges forth, their movement slowed as they claw their way over the bodies of the fallen, with several of their number stopping to seize upon the newly dead.

    *****

    Rat Swam 3

    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

    Fort Save: (1d20+6)[18] - passed

    Sirus's AoO - Attack: (1d20+9)[26], Damage: (1d8+5)[12] - hits


    The rats currently attacking Sirus are too lost in their bloodlust to bother with Setsuna's slaying of the other pack. They continue to swarm all over Sirus, tearing and biting through his clothing as best they can. This time though, Sirus does manage to shake off those that climb up his body, mashing their bodies with the edge of his feet.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    24 - Rat Swarm 3
    > 23 - Sirus
    14 - Setsuna
    8 - Rat Swarm 2


    It is now Sirus's turn.

    *****

    Battle Map


    *****

    Everyone Else - Perception DC 12 to hear the sounds of combat from down the tunnel. Those rats are pretty noisy.

    The carrionstorm, whatever it is they are talking about, seems content to watch you for now. Reticence or not, being observed by eyeless crows is a deeply unsettling experience. The cloud of flies that they have brought with them do not help one bit, with the pests buzzing loudly around the tree, the fattest and boldest ones coming down to investigate your presence and trying to land on your bodies.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-03-03 at 09:09 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    AC 18
    HP 25/28


    Doing her best not to smile at both the satisfaction of dispersing the first swarm so easily and Maethilur's commentary, even with the vermin scratching and biting hard enough that her fiendish healing can't quite keep up, Setsuna swiftly intones another spell and slashes at the remaining swarm, a ghostly blue flame trailing a half second behind the blade.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Assuming Sirus can end the swarm on him on his turn, but if not 5ft step to him to attack that one.

    Spell combat, arcane mark, spellstrike.

    Attack (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage (1d8+5)[13]

    Spellstrike (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage (1d8+5)[8]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus feels the feverish bites get to him but he has no time to worry about it. At the back of his head, he remembers the antiplague vial he carries. That would help.

    But for now, he continues to smash and tear at the rats.

    Spoiler
    Show

    FoB Atk1 (1d20+7)[13] dmg (1d8+5)[6]
    Atk2 (1d20+7)[19] dmg (1d8+5)[6]

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[15]


    Pricking up her ears at the sudden chorus of squealing and screaming from within the tunnel, Red starts towards the hole in alarm. She is about to tug hard on the rope and dive into the tunnel herself when she hesitates - if Sirus and Setsuna were in a fight, pulling the rope wouldn't help. And how would they get out if she was on her way in?

    "Rico...?" Red's voice is but a mere whisper as she glances at her friend, stricken, then up at the crows. "What... what do we do?"

    *****

    GM post

    Everyone Else


    Whether or not the carrionstorm can make out the sounds of manic rats underground is uncertain. Or perhaps they've finally made up their minds to attack. Either way, something has them suddenly riled as they suddenly start up with screeching cries, alighting from the tree in a black cloud of rotting feathers, circling the tree rapidly.

    Linguistics DC 13 check
    Spoiler
    Show
    The carrionstorm has changed its tune. The word 'master' is still being repeated over and over, but more disturbingly, the words 'find' and 'kill' are now being squawked over and over again. It would seem that the flock is working itself up into a frenzy before attacking.


    *****

    Sirus and Setsuna

    The itch from the rat bites throws Sirus's usually accurate blows off their mark as the burning sensation continues to grow. Still, it doesn't stop Sirus from stomping and crushing the heads of a few more vermin.

    On her end of the chamber, Setsuna's first strike misses as the rats spot the gleaming katana and swiftly scatter, dodging and reforming behind its path. They do not expect the blue flame that trails behind the blade, however, and many of them are set ablaze by the arcane fire, writhing and screaming in agony as it singes their hide.

    *****

    Rat Swarm 2

    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (1d6)[4]

    Fort Save 1: (1d20+6)[12] - failed
    Fort Save 2: (1d20+6)[19] - passed

    Setsuna's AoO - Attack: (1d20+9)[14], Damage: (1d8+5)[12] - hits


    Despite the terror of the blue flame and Setsuna managing to lay low many of their number, the rats nearest Setsuna continue to press their assault, trying to eat their way through her waraji and hakama. This close to her, the awful stink of rat droppings and dander is overwhelming, very nearly causing Setsuna to lose her composure and throw up her breakfast on the spot.

    Setsuna is nauseated for the next 1 round.

    *****

    Rat Swarm 3

    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (1d6)[3]

    Fort Save: (1d20+6)[8] - failed

    Sirus's AoO - Attack: (1d20+9)[29], Damage: (1d8+5)[8] - hit
    Confirm Critical - Attack: (1d20+9)[10], Damage: (1d8+5)[11] - no critical


    Although Sirus continues to pull rats off himself and to dash their brains out on the floor as fast as he can, the effect of so many bites and the sickly smell of their fur is beginning to overwhelm him. Suddenly, Sirus feels his stomach constrict, right before he dry-heaves, a nasty taste at the back of his throat.

    Sirus is now nauseated for 1 round.

    *****

    New Event

    Spoiler
    Show
    RS 4: (1d20+6)[11]
    RS 5: (1d20+6)[26]
    RS 6: (1d20+6)[15]


    Unfortunately for the duo in the tunnels, the presence of warm prey and the tumult of battle has attracted even more rats to the scene. Should either Sirus or Setsuna chance to glance up, it is to behold dozens more rats pouring out of the three tunnels, all eager at a chance for blood. The fact that the dead rat corpses - dainty appetisers to the starving wretches - are piling up as fast as you can slay them is of no help.

    Three more Rat Swarms have joined the battle. They will not act in this round.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    26 - Rat Swarm 5
    24 - Rat Swarm 3
    > 23 - Sirus
    15 - Rat Swarm 6
    14 - Setsuna
    11 - Rat Swarm 4
    8 - Rat Swarm 2


    It is now Sirus's turn.


    *****

    Battle Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-03-03 at 12:42 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    AC 18
    HP 22/28


    Finding herself rapidly losing her clothes in spite of the fact that she has yet to make use of the accursed sarashi yet today thanks to the swarm of rodents whose awful stench only just now began to register in the tiefling's brain, Setsuna can only feebly swipe at the mass of rats that had already begun to crawl up her as she stumbles back.

    Realizing that the present situation looks bad, she manages to push through the nausea that arose as the new wave of rats started biting into her to call out a warning to Sirus, "There are too many to fight like this, back in to the tunnel!" Not having the energy to explain why, she can only hope that he understands the need to bottle-neck the rats whose numbers just doubled from what they were originally facing.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Bloody nausea. Moving 10ft back into the tunnel.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus can only agree as he follows Setsuna back to the tunnel.

    "I think. We must. Go up. Or. Take turns. As we withdraw."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, a retreat should be in order. Either that or we bottleneck them taking turns.

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Nodding, Setsuna motions for Sirus to go first. "I can hold them for a few seconds, go, I will be right behind you!"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    His eyes still on the swarms, fighting the urge to retch, Sirus replies.

    "I move. Faster. And climb. Better. Go. First. Quickly."

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Too distracted by the seemingly endless horde of rats and her own nausea to argue, Setsuna tries to contact Taladron, hoping the spell didn't shut off at an inopportune time. "There are too many, get ready to pull me out, Sirus-san will be right behind me."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    "Frak this." Rico growls, slowly stepping backwards, shield still raised, loaded crossbow still braced on its darkwood rim.

    "They's engaged down below. We're wide open up 'ere, if these birds close the gap." She continues her measured retreat.

    "Brin an' Red, y'all first. Backup fer Sirus an' Hellgirl, MOVE!" With another growl, Rico sets her feet almost to the hole, leaving their second element just enough space to squeeze into the entrance. "Tal, cover me right. Once this bolt's gone, get on down after th' others. I'll hold the monkeyfriggen door."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Taaaaactics, tactics, tactical wiiiiiiiiiiiiithdrawal.
    Perception, if needed: (1d20+11)[12]
    Crossbow, once Taladron's through, aimed at the closest crow (1d20+5)[21] (1d8)[2]
    Further actions: Re-shoulder the crossbow, draw sword. Shield up, Full Defense, or whatever-ye-call-it.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-03-04 at 11:26 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Hearing Setsuna's message Taladron relays it to the battle minded Rico, "Rico, Setsuna says they are pulling back and that there are too many in there. If we go in we will close off their way out. Not to mention that me, Brin, and Red can't see in the dark." He takes a quick glance at the crows before continuing. "Those crows are going to attack soon, they added kill to their ranting, but we need to help them out of the hole. Here is my plan, grab the rope, when you feel the tug on the rope, you and Red pull Setsuna and Sirus out of there, I think Brin should try to use divine energy and see how well that works on the undead blighters, and if that fails I will join in with fire."

    To Setsuna he says, "Grab on to each other and tug on the rope. We will pull you both out."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    "I'm sure the lady's blessing will prove quite effective, which is probably why they're hanging back. As long as I'm standing here, I can cover all of you and the hole." She replies to Taladron, hand still upraised at the undead crows.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brin will channel energy if any of the carrionstorms come into range.

    (2d6)[2] DC 14 Will for half

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    "Gotcha." Rico growls in acknowledgement of Taladron's relayed message. She rumbles in her throat as her eyes dart from the forest to the hole behind them and then back again.

    She kneels by the hole, grabs hold of their end of the safety line and quickly loops it about her battle-table's legs, stem and strap.

    Once again, she braces her shoulder to her shield, then jerks her head at Red toward the line. "Change o' plan, then. Letsch gerremouttathere. Y'all see any solid place we can put our backs against?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Falling back, the nausea just subsiding, Sirus says to both Setsuna and the others.

    "They are. Rats. We can. Take them. If we. Stand. In the. Bottleneck. And have. Healing. Available/

    Let us. Go backwards. Near. The entrance. And. Take turns. Fighting them."

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Doing her best to stay out of the swarms reach, Setsuna calls back to Sirus, still holding in her breakfast. "The entrance is too narrow, it will be impossible to fight there! We should go outside, the magics I have prepared for the day are not good here, but the others may have something to deal with these!"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Nodding at the acceptance of his plan, Taladron focuses on the most immediate threat, the Carrionstorm. He focuses his arcane energies, ready to unleash them should any survive Brin's holy energy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to cast Burning Hands after Brin has used her channel targeted to hit the largest number of enemies possible (Shape is 15ft. Cone) doing (4d4)[13] Fire Damage (DC 17 for half) and setting any flammable material touched on fire.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Red bares her teeth and shakes her head at Rico - no, there was no place - but they could pull at least. As soon as Rico has wrapped her meaty fists firmly about the rope, Red begins to haul for all she's worth, half-dreading what she'll see at the other end. What if Sirus and Setsuna had been badly wounded? Or worse?

    *****

    GM post

    Spoiler
    Show
    Party Initiatives:
    Rico: (1d20+1)[17]
    Red: (1d20+5)[7]
    Taladron: (1d20+4)[9]
    Brin: (1d20+5)[11]

    Enemy Initiatives:
    CS a: (1d20+4)[19]
    CS b: (1d20+4)[17]
    CS c: (1d20+4)[14]
    CS d: (1d20+4)[21]


    Initiative Order:
    21 - CS d
    19 - CS a
    17 - CS b
    17 - Rico
    14 - CS c
    11 - Brin
    9 - Taladron
    7 - Red


    Pulling Sirus and Setsuna is a full round action.

    Unless otherwise stated, all Carrionstorms are assumed to be flying. The dark brown area on the map is only to show where the tunnel is - PCs may move onto the brown area, but if they enter the tunnel, take a -4 penalty to attack rolls and AC.


    Carrionstorm d and a and b

    Spoiler
    Show
    CS d: (1d6)[6] - on Taladron
    CS a: (1d6)[3] - on Red
    CS b: (1d6)[6] - on Brin

    Taladron's Fort Save: (1d20+4)[6] - failed
    Red's Fort Save: (1d20+5)[25] - passed
    Brin's Fort Save: (1d20+5)[15] - passed


    Red and Rico have hardly begun to pull the rope in when the undead crow flock wheels in and dives at your group, having roused themselves into a squawking and bristling feathered frenzy.

    While one might expect sightless birds to be quite clumsy at navigating, the carrionstorms are surprisingly perceptive in spite of their necromantic taint. Filling the air with their croaks, they make a berth around Rico and swarm the rest of you, skinny wings beating about your heads as they stab and scratch at the exposed parts of your heads with their thick beaks and scabrous claws. Their instinct, even in death, is to go for the eyes and it is all you can do to duck your head.

    The carrionstorms smell nowhere as bad as ghoul flesh, but the sickly-sweet odour of their fly-blown hide is nauseating enough. Taladron, in particular, finds himself gagging at the stench.

    Taladron is nauseated for 1 round. Permission granted to save the roll made for Burning Hands damage for when he is able to cast it, if desired.

    *****

    Rico is busy pulling on the rope.

    *****

    Carrionstorm c

    Spoiler
    Show
    CS c: (1d6)[4]

    Brin's Fort Save: (1d20+5)[6]


    Taladron is not the only elf to have difficulty keeping his breakfast down. Whether it is the memory of the horrid odour at the sawmill or whether it is the sight of tiny white maggots wriggling in the meat of the crows, Brin likewise finds herself feeling the urge to puke.

    Brin is nauseated for 1 round. Permission granted to save the roll made for CPE damage for when she is able to channel, if desired.

    *****

    Brin and Taladron - GM botted to 5-foot step and move away from the Carrionstorms, since I doubt people want to stand about getting pecked to death.

    *****

    Red is busy pulling on the rope.

    *****

    Carrionstorm d and a and b

    Spoiler
    Show
    CS d: (1d6)[5] - on Rico
    CS a: (1d6)[1] - on Red
    CS b: (1d6)[5] - on Rico

    Rico's Fort Save: (1d20+10)[24] - passed
    Red's Fort Save: (1d20+5)[6] - failed


    Oddly enough, the birds elect to not pursue the elves, instead turning their attention to Rico now, pecking and nipping at her shoulders and head, her helmet ringing with the dings of eager beaks. Meanwhile, just a few steps in front of Rico, the smell of the birds finally proves too much for Red. Staggering back, her hands still clenched around the rope, the young woman retches, turning her head aside as bile burns the back of her throat.

    Nevertheless, Rico and Red have done their work - Setsuna and Sirus have been pulled out of the tunnel, a final heave from Rico bringing them both to the lip of the hole.

    There is little time for triumph, however. For not too far away, somewhere in the tunnel, comes the angry squeaks of the pursuing rats.

    Red is nauseated for 1 round, etc. The rats will arrive after a full round.

    *****

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sirus: (1d20+4)[21]
    Setsuna: (1d20+4)[14]


    New Initiative Order:
    21 - Sirus
    21 - CS d
    19 - CS a
    17 - CS b
    > 17 - Rico
    14 - Setsuna
    14 - CS c
    11 - Brin
    9 - Taladron
    7 - Red - nauseated


    It is now Rico's turn.

    *****

    Battle Map
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    HP 22/28
    AC 18


    Noting the murder of undead crows that were causing problems with the rest of the group, Setsuna quickly realizes that letting the swarm of rats charge out of the hole might very well overwhelm them and turns on the spot. "I will do what I can to hold the rats here, deal with the birds first!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Just to see if Setsuna recognizes the carrionstorm...(1d20+4)[19]

    Readied Action to attack (and miss ) the first rat swarm to get into threatened range.

    Attack (1d20+9)[13]
    Damage (1d8+5)[13]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •