Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

Sirus

Sirus waits his turn to examine the note. He does so, taking his time.

"This is. The same. Person. Who wrote. My note.

Are there. Lords. Around here? Have. New projects. Started?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Hannah scratches her head, just as puzzled as the rest of you. "Lords? Plenty. You can't toss a stone without hitting some noble house on the Lost Coast. Miss Ameiko oughta be Lady Kaijitsu, now I come to it, if she'd suffer the name. As for new projects... do you mean businesses and such? Not recently, though word has it that the Scarnettis are trying to muscle out or buy over every other lumber mill not under their flag. Why, you think Titus Scarnetti hired someone to kill his own manager? Or that some unhappy owner's trying to send Titus a message?"

Knowledge (local) DC 12
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hannah is correct. There are at least a dozen noble houses based in Magnimar, four of which also reside in Sandpoint itself - the Deverins (led by Mayor Kendra Deverin), the Vlademars (led by Ethram Valdemar), the Scarnettis (led by Titus Scarnetti - who owns the sawmill), and the Kaijitsus (of which Ameiko is the last one in this part of the Lost Coast).

Knowledge (nobility) DC 15 to recall all the names of the noble houses based in the Lost Coast region.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

Having been outside the door when the previous note was presented, Brin takes Sirus's word that the same hand penned both.

"Or it's just some puffed up nobody who likes the sound of a fancy title." Brin mutters. "At least as many fake 'lords' around as real ones, in my experience." She shakes her head, unsure what to make of the clues, "At least we know the two scenes are connected, and this means that the survivor knows the identity of the murder--assuming the murderer is the one who wrote the notes."

"We head for to Habe's sanitarium immediately, before 'his lordship' decides to tie up the loose end."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-01-13 at 09:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Bidding goodbye to Hannah, who must return to Sandpoint, Rico leads the remaining mile along the dusty farm road that runs by Cougar's Creek to the sanatorium. The journey does not take long. Proceeding towards the towering limestone escarpment that the locals call Ashen Rise, a squat three-storied stone building nestled in the lee side of the cliff quickly comes into view - a stark edifice of sharp angles and walls of dazzling white against the mossy grey crags all around it.

This building before you, as a crisply painted sign by the road with a Pharasmin spiral burnt into the wood proclaims, is 'THE SAINTLY HAVEN OF RESPITE'. While there is nothing about the building itself that strikes you as particularly saintly, whoever maintains the grounds has done so with an almost religious fervour. The outer walls have been recently painted, with not a trace of creeping ivy or mold damp to be found, while the air is rich with the moist smell of freshly cut grass. The planks on the front verandah have been polished to a smooth finish from frequent scrubbing, with tiny potted flowers lined up against the walls adjacent to the front door. Just a stone's throw from the front door is a modest vegetable garden with rows of plump cabbages and various herbs ready for harvest. Someone has even taken the trouble to seed the path leading up to the building with a layer of gravel that crunches loudly underfoot as you tramp on it. If not for the notable fact that not a single of the various grilled windows facing you is wider than half a hand-span, it would indeed be quite difficult to guess at the true nature of the haven as a madhouse.

The wooden verandah creaks loudly in protest as you mount the steps and try the front door, which unsurprisingly enough, you find to be locked. Rapping loudly on the thick oak elicits a series of muffled clopping sounds from within, similar to calabash halves being knocked together. Before you can count to ten, the door is yanked open just wide enough to reveal the grouchy face of a bald tiefling with scaled snake-like skin and thick rope-like ceremonial scars running along the length of his pate. From the look of his starched grey clothing, he would appear to be an orderly of some sort.

The orderly peers imperiously out at the group of you gathered outside, eyeing Rico's watch garb up and down before reluctantly speaking in a low and sulky voice, revealing tiny sharp teeth that cause him to lisp slightly. "Apologies, ma'am guard. Honoured visitors. Doctor is very busy today. He does not desire to be disturbed. Please come back another time."

Perception DC 12 (no taking ten allowed)
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you crane your neck, you notice another orderly calmly waiting just behind this one - another tiefling, who boldly stares back at you, his muscled arms folded across his chest. Those of you who were outside the General Store last night would recognise this orderly as the same tiefling 'boy' who had been accompanying Jubrayl Vhiski.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-01-14 at 12:05 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus debates with himself whether he should be the one to try and argue their way in. He holds his tongue but he looks squarely at the eyes of the orderly behind him, silently pointing him to the others. His eyes never leave the eyes of the other tiefling. Unspoken words flow through the eye contact.

I see you. I know you. Choose wisely.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"Perfectly understandable, and no obstacle. We're not here to see you're boss, you see, but to question one of your charges concerning murder most foul. Several of them, actually." Brin speaks quickly, attempting to buffalo the guard with a combination of fast talk and legitimate authority.

"I believe the Sandpoint Guard, this very guard right here," She tips her head towards Rico, "left Mr. Grayst Sevilla in your charge. That implies right of access, I think. Don't worry, we won't bother your boss, or the other residents. On my faith, I'd never think of disturbing one of the Lady's institutions." She finishes by flashing her spiral tattoo.

"And you, um, I never caught your name." She addresses the second tiefling. "I neglected to thank your friend properly for that delicious rum ham he guided into my possession. Please pass along my appreciation."

Assuming that the tieflings are suitably baffled by her impeccable reasoning, Brin will try to shoulder her way in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[19]
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-01-14 at 10:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

The orderly at the door first startles, then tries to wave Brin back as she essays to put her foot through the door, his cloven hooves clapping loudly on the threshold as he takes a clumsy step forward to bar her way.

"No, no, no. You do not understand. Doctor, he is very busy - with the new patient-"

The other tiefling behind the door frowns at his companion, then takes a determined step forward, holding out a hand to prevent the door from swinging open any further. When he speaks, a powerful odour of brimstone crackles on his breath, faint wisps of pearl-grey smoke curling up from the corners of his mouth, his voice thin and unpleasant on the ears.

"Perhaps milady priest, she would tell us what errand she has with the new patient? So we can pass on a message? To see what Doctor says? Doctor has given us strict instructions to let nobody through the door. Doctor is a devoted man. The new patient requires much of his care. Milady priest would not get us into trouble with our employer, would she?"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Wrinkling her nose at the scent of brimstone, unpleasant but not unfamiliar for the Tian tiefling, Setsuna speaks up when the orderlies ask about their job safety. "I am sure that the Doctor will forgive you for taking us to him then. As you were told, we are here on official business from the Sandpoint Watch. You would get in more trouble for denying us entry and making it seem as if the Doctor was refusing to help the Watch than for interrupting him. Or does the Doctor not care if his reputation is damaged?"

Spoiler
    Show

Let's try my hand at diplomacy

(1d20+9)[10]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Perhaps the second orderly's association with the notorious Jubrayl has taught him some boldness. Or perhaps he's feeling particularly stubborn this morning. Either way, he refuses to budge and continues to glower at your group from behind the safety of the door.

"I am hired by Doctor, not Sheriff of Sandpoint. Tell me precisely what it is you are wishing to speak to Doctor about, and I will convey it to him. This is place of healing for those your town does not wish to care for and does not wish to see." As he speaks, a strained look comes into the tiefling's pale eyes, as if suddenly reminded of the extent to which his own demonic heritage marks him as visibly other - unlike Setsuna, there is no way either of the orderlies could have passed as normal humans. "If Doctor cared for reputation, he would not sacrifice his time and money so. Now, tell me your errand. Or begone, lest you rouse the patients."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Taladron had been silent as they searched the barn together. They were finding pieces of the puzzle, but they were not fitting together as of yet and forming a complete picture.

The appearance of the two orderlies makes Taladron raise an eyebrow. I understand that the townspeople wouldn't like their appearance, but how would deranged, broken minds be able to take food and be manhandled by these two without losing it? Taladron remains silent though, he wasn't a people person so unless they planned on blasting their way in he had to rely on the others to sweet talk the door open.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus does not like at all the way things are going here. His instinct is to push until the barrier breaks open.

Maybe just a nudge, then.

"We do. Not. Care. Who pays you. Nor. Will it. Make. A difference. On what. We are. Here. To do.

A double. Murder. Was committed. Not long. Ago. The sole witness. A man named. Grayst Sevilla. Has been. Admitted. Here.

We are. To see him. At the doctor 's. Earliest. Convenience. Which will. Be. Today. And now.

Now. Go. Notify him."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

The less articulate of the two tieflings does not take kindly to being ordered around by Sirus, something disdainful smouldering in his eyes as he holds his ground and refuses to budge. It's clear that he thinks Sirus is trying to pull a fast one on him.

"I think the honoured sir has his facts wrong. Yes, ma'am guard yonder brought a patient here yesterday, but she did not know his name then. She said he had been witness to three dead men, not two. Doctor has been with the patient since his arrival. It is impossible for this patient, if he is called Sevilla, to have seen any other murders-"

Just then, a frustrated male voice with the barest traces of an Ustalavian accent snaps out from somewhere deeper within the building. "I say, what is that infernal racket going on? Did I not instruct you, Gortus, to send away all visitors and clients?"

The second tiefling, the one hanging out with Jubrayl last night, gives you a gloating look of satisfaction as he calls out in reply. "Aye, Doctor, that you did. But they will not go away. It is a guard-lady from yesterday with others. They wish- no, they demand that you attend to them in person."

There is a marked pause that is quickly followed by the careless loud footsteps of someone who is on the verge of losing his temper and doesn't care who knows it. Soon enough, a lean middle-aged man of handsome proportions and sporting a neatly coiffed goatee storms into view, the robes of dark maroon which mark him as a medical alumnus of the University of Lepidstadt sweeping about his ankles as he strides swiftly to the door. He wears a Katapeshi style durag on his head and the expression beneath it would have been kindly enough if not currently twisted in anger.

"Well?" He demands brusquely, his hands on his hips. "Make it quick, if you can. The patient you brought me yesterday, ma'am, is very ill. His madness took a turn for the worse over the night and he requires my utmost attention."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna had been about to join Sirus in his efforts to force their way in before the Doctor, whose orders had been delaying them so far, finally made his appearance. Glad to be able to talk directly to the one in charge the tiefling speaks up, "Your patient, doctor, is the only surviving witness to a murder that we are investigating. He may be able to help us, and it is vital that we speak with him. I can assure you that we will not let his madness get any worse in our presence."

Spoiler
    Show

Eh, had more I could've said, but I couldn't word it well.

Maybe I can get the doctor to work with us, since I can't do anything for his lackeys. Diplomacy (1d20+9)[27]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"I would add, good Doctor, that we have reason to believe that the person who left your patient in this state has killed again. As a fellow servant of our Lady of Graves, I will do my utmost to see that we do not tax our patient more than necessary, but I really must insist that we talk to him." Brin adds in her most reasonable-sounding tone of voice. "The blackguard could be planning his next crime as we speak, and Mr. Sevilla may very well know his or her name."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy aid another: [role]1d2+6[/roll] edit: rolled 11 in dice thread
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-01-15 at 08:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

The Doctor rakes his gaze impatiently over your group. For some reason, he seems distinctly unimpressed with the lot of you, including Brin, despite her identification as a cleric of Pharasma.

"Fine," he barks. "I'll let three of you in to see him, and only three. No more than that. I don't want the lot of you tiring him out or making him stressed. The poor man's been through enough in the past few days and I wouldn't give much hope for his survival if he takes any more strain. The rest of you will have to wait out here."

Sense Motive DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Doctor is telling the truth about Grayst Sevilla, as far as you can tell. He's also definitely irked and wants all of you out of the building as fast as possible, which isn't a surprise if Grayst is really ill. You can't help picking up though, that despite all appearances, the Doctor is also rather worried about something...

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus bows a little.

"Thank you. I think. Me. Brin. And Setsuna. Would be. Best.To follow you. In.

Lead. The way. Please. Doctor."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"I'm not going to argue." Bring says at Sirus's suggestion, and follows the doctor in, flashing the tieflings a cheshire grin and a wink on the way past.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Not disagreeing with who was chosen to go visit the witness, the magus gives her fellow tieflings a last look before focusing on the doctor. I wonder if they're so rude because of how they were treated growing up, like...shaking her head, Setsuna interrupts her own train of thought and follows the others inside.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Brin and Sirus and Setsuna

"Come along then. And take heed! There are other patients in the premises and you would do well not to attract their attention. The rest of you - stay where you are. I won't have you wandering about to disturb my patients. Gortus, Gurnak. Kindly attend to our visitors." Not bothering to disguise the scowl on his face, the Doctor irritably waves the three of you into the building.

Once inside, you are struck by two things. One is a pervasive sour odour that you might recognise as cheap incense. The other is the incongruous cleanliness of the place. As with its exterior, the rooms of sanatorium have been scrupulously swept and scrubbed, the walls painted a sterile white. Everything seems to have been carefully tidied and put in its place. Passing through a modest reception area and into what seems to be a craft-room of sorts, you see that every table has been perfectly aligned against the wall, with neatly labelled sewing boxes and several bales of cloth stacked in the corners according to colour. There is little time for you to take in your surroundings, however, as the doctor ushers you hurriedly up two flights of stairs, passing rooms with prominently large locks on the closed doors.

"Our current patients like to remain inside," mutters the Doctor by way of explanation, grunting slightly as he ascends the stairs, his hands cupping his knees for support. "They harm no one if they are not roused. I would prefer for them to try their hand at useful employment, but we currently have none capable of such work."

The Doctor halts for a moment at the top of the stairs at the third floor to catch his breath. As you join him on the staircase landing, you find yourselves facing a narrow corridor and can't help noticing that of the four doors leading out, the three at the far end are made of reinforced iron. "This is where we keep our more energetic patients. As I mentioned, the patient had turned violent over the night and we found it necessary to restrain him for his own safety and the peace of the other patients." The Doctor motions you down the corridor and pulling a key ring out of his pocket, slides one into the last door and is about to twist it open when he holds up a slender finger in warning. "I pray you, do not unsettle him in any way! He is in a most fragile state."

Pushing the door open, he then waits for all of you to enter before shutting it behind him, hovering wrathfully in the background as you approach the figure hunched on the bed.

The room, despite its imposing entrance, is quite comfortably furnished, with narrow windows to let in the sunlight and a thick feather mattress on the bed. The patient himself - Grayst Sevilla - does not respond to your presence, simply staring fixedly at an invisible spot on the floor, breathing heavily and every now and then, running his tongue over thin, dry lips. Clad in a light green smock, his arms and upper body have been stuffed and swathed in a canvas strait-jacket with thick leather buckles, long dank hair hanging limply over his face.

Those of you who dare to approach him closer, however, realise that something is gravely wrong with Grayst. The sclera of his half-lidded eyes has turned milky white and his hair is matted with sweat. What can seen of his skin is pallid and swollen, his face flushed and his limbs shivering despite the relative warmth of the room.

"He came down with a fever shortly after he tried to attack my orderlies last night. I have done what I can to alleviate his symptoms," offers the Doctor's voice, somewhere behind you.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Doing her best to ignore the smell, Setsuna follows along silently until reaching Grayst's room. Approaching him cautiously at first, the tiefling's caution vanishes instantly as she realizes the terrible condition he's in.

Realizing it probably would be a bad idea to spook him, the tiefling stops her hand from reaching out to touch him in an effort to comfort the potentially deranged survivor, and instead speaks softly, with a gentle and compassionate tone. "Sevilla-san? We came here to ask you about what you saw that night in the barn. Do you feel like you can tell us about what happened?"

Spoiler
    Show

Heal is at -1 and untrained, so...Perception! (1d20+1)[18]

And rolling the diplomacy here, I'll get an IC up soon as I can find the right words. (1d20+9)[19]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

OOC Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+11)[29]
    Perception: (1d20+9)[13]
    Perception: (1d20+1)[18]

Untrained heal: (1d20+3)[11]
    Untrained heal: (1d20+3)[16]

Perception checks
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Grayst shivers, you observe that the skin just below the collar of the strait-jacket is blackened and shrivelled - the man's shoulder flesh is gangrenous.

Perhaps the Doctor hasn't noticed or taken care of some wound on Grayst's body? Nevertheless, for a doctor to let a wound deteriorate to such a condition is downright neglectful.

Heal checks
    Spoiler
    Show
    You realise that Grayst isn't merely traumatised - he is physically ill. In fact, he is quite likely to be dying from some illness. But from the Sheriff's report, you know he wasn't ill when he was discovered, just mad.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

A tight frown and pinched nose are Brin's initial response to the man. "What is going on here, Doctor? This man is clearly ill, and that smell, no one could miss the stench of gangrene." Brin huffs at the man. "Is he even mentally disturbed, or just delirious with fever?" She makes a mental note to check in on the other inmates, perhaps even send someone to town for the Sheriff. Something here wasn't right.

She mutters a healing prayer and delivers the spell to Grayst. "I'm not sure what's going on here, Mr. Sevilla, but this will help you feel a bit better. At least until we can send to Sandpoint for a more powerful healer. In the meantime, please answer a few questions. The person who did this to you is still loose, and anything you remember could help us catch the villain."

Spoiler
    Show
    burn my unused 1st level slot to cast cure light wounds

Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[17]

CLW: 11 (rolled in dice thread)
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-01-17 at 01:59 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Razzorss... Waiting. Immus' deliverrr..." Grayst barely twitches at Brin's healing spell, simply slurring inchorently and groaning to himself. Though the pallor of his skin lightens a little, returning some colour to his cheeks, the signs of necrosis on his shoulders remain.

"This man was already injured from the encounter that caused him to lose his mind," retorts the Doctor forcefully, puffing out his chest. "In any case, I believe the Sandpoint Watch themselves were the ones responsible for binding his wounds before sending him here. I do not know what they did, but when my orderlies came to cleanse him, the wound had already deteriorated to this state. I have done what I could and nothing has availed. All I can do now is to keep him comfortable and wait for him to sleep before I send for help to a more potent minister."

Sense Motive DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, you sense that the Doctor is telling the truth. But he's definitely not telling you everything...

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

While the doctor blubbers his excuses, Brin focuses on the sick man. The one witness. The key.

"Immus?" She whispers to herself, then louder. "Who is Immus? What is he delivering?" She glances at Setsuna and Sirus, hoping one of them would recognize the name.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Shaking her head at Brin's questioning look, the tiefling can't do more than shrug. Maybe he's trying to say 'I must'?

At the doctor's words however, Setsuna loses her train of thought in deciphering Grayst's words and catches the hesitation in them. With her usual directness, and now a hint of distrust, the magus turns back to face the Doctor. "There is more to it than that. You might not be lying but you know something about his condition that you have not told us. What is it?"

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive roll out of the way (1d20+1)[20] (rolled in OOC)

Diplomacy to get him to fess up to whatever it is he's hiding! (1d20+9)[10]
    Last edited by Desril; 2014-01-17 at 08:30 PM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Scratch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The livelong while, Rico'd tried to hang back,
    Outwardly trying to loom, to be imposing,
    But inwardly wounded---

---by slights of incompetence and incompassion
    Beneath her scowl, beneath her shield,
    She'd been rummaging, rummaging
    'Mong her notes, and her pocket-
    -Sized copy of the Book of Law

But the papers still when they enter
    Enter that room of madness and decay
    Rico narrows her gaze and perks her ears,
    Her ever-scratching pen stops as she says,

"I tell ye, we did the best we could have,
    Under the circumstances. And no,
    I assure you, we did not
    Brutalize him.

Razors... waiting. I must deliver.
    You must deliver what, to whom?
    Who or what are... razors?

And, Doctor... I trust you and your staff
    Have seen to the patient's
    Other ailments?

Sir, might I ask as well,
    Have you seen anything strange or disturbing
    Beyond the norm of your esteemed institution's... standard levels?
    Recently, at night, strange noises, sights or smells?
    Maybe coming from outside, the outbuidlings,
    Or mayhap the unused rooms?"

Spoiler
    Show

Ma'am? Was it Rico herself who saw to Mr Grayst's first aid, or was she JUST the warden to whom his custody was temporarily passed during that brief trip? In which case, aye, she'd be upset and concerned, I reckon.

Also... (+2 if any of those are fiend-related)
    Heal: (1d20+7)[13] Perception (1d20+11)[22] Sense Motive (1d20+8)[28]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-01-18 at 12:37 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus (GM-botted)

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+11)[27]

Sirus had dallied for a while, wondering if he ought to speak or not. There was something about the man of healing that bothered him in a way he couldn't quite put his finger on. Setsuna's direct confrontation settles the question for him. He stares at the Doctor, his gaze rigid.

"It is. Best. That. You. Tell us. Everything. For. His. Sake. And yours."

GM post

Setsuna and Sirus and Brin

The Doctor actually jumps when put to the question, his cheeks blanching as white as that of his patient - whether from fear or anger, it is difficult to tell. Swallowing hard and shooting a glance at the tattoo on Brin's palm, he takes the time to compose himself before speaking again, his hands balled into fists.

"And what, precisely, is it that you are wishing to know? The man is gravely ill, that much is obvious. He needs my care-"

He gets no further, however, as Grayst suddenly moans, his cry eerily loud and unsettling in the sun-drenched room. The sick man has raised his head to look directly at Sirus, his pale eyes bulging and his weathered lips trembling with what can only be agitation.

"Yoo... He ssaid... he said yo'would findd mee... Ssskerlati... H-hiss Lordship. Said ssso."

Rico and Taladron and Red

Outside on the verandah, the two tiefling orderlies give you sour looks, tapping their feet and crossing their arms - they're not pleased with the idea of having to babysit the three of you and make the sentiment plain.

"S'pposed to be helping the other patients wash up, we are," mutters the one named Gurnak sulkily, scraping his hoofed foot back and forth on the ground like an agitated horse.

Gortus, previously of Jubrayl's company, shrugs and stares back at the three of you, chewing on something in his mouth. If you care to look, you can practically see him think, the thoughts swirling rapidly about in his head.

"So tell me, honoured visitors. If you please. Exactly what murder would you be investigating? Surely it cannot be the murder of the three who were found with the patient. Ma'am guard-lady said yesterday that the Watch could get no further information out of the patient. Why does ma'am guard-lady return now to ask? What is so special about our poor patient, he who tried to bite me last night?" His words and voice are polite enough, but his eyes gleam with a calculating interest.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna is caught off guard by Grayst's sudden moan, but when he mentions that 'His Lordship' had spoken to him and told him about Sirus she immediately moves to the madman's side. Relying upon her innate ability to be able to peer into the minds of those around her, Setsuna opens her mental hearing as she tries to concentrate on Grayst's mind specifically. "You met 'His Lordship'? Can you tell us about him? Take your time, please."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy on Grayst to get him to concentrate on 'His Lordship' and take his time (preferably 3+ rounds) describing him. (1d20+9)[16]

Detect Thoughts, preferably aimed so that Grayst is the only one in the room it hits. Can't really do anything about any rooms beyond if there isn't enough obstacles to block the spell though. DC as mentioned is 14 or 15.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

With Sirus handling the doctor, Brin concentrates on Grayst. The man's confused, delirious. Better not confuse hi with multiple speakers. She keeps her mouth shut, hoping the man would answer Setsuna with something approaching clarity.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna detects with Detect Thoughts

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1 - Thoughts, yes.
    Round 2 - Only one mind in Grayst's head, thank goodness. INT 8
    Round 3 - Madman does not get a save due to being mad. See below for further details.

Focusing entirely on Grayst, you take a deep breath and empty your mind, firmly pushing away the faint tingle that signals the mental presences of Sirus and Brin. Grayst's thoughts, predicatably enough, flash past like lightning and it is all you can do to chase one down and latch onto it before it vanishes back into the seething dark mass of his mind...

For a moment, the world swims and you have the sensation of falling, stepping into pot-holes, everything off-kilter - It is night and there is rope cutting into your wrists, your fear spreading in a warm steaming patch at your groin. There is a wad of foul-tasting straw shoved into your mouth and your throat is raw from crying, begging to be set free.

You cannot turn away. You cannot close your eyes. The bodies dangling from the ceiling sway in some unseen breeze, rotating slowly to the left, then to the right, their jaws torn away and gaping in a black scream that no-one can hear. There is viscera unspooled on the floor. There are shreds of flayed skin pierced on a rusty hook. And all the time, there is the steady plop-plop-plop of blood dripping down, soaking into the dirt floor.

Attend to me, dog, croons a man's voice, smooth as honey. Something clammy tenderly caresses your cheek, even as you reflexively jerk and throw up in your mouth from the sheer stink of him, your own vomit burning the back of your throat, causing your eyes to water and mercifully blurring the sight of the bodies that were once your friends.

Now. You were unworthy for sacrifice. But you will have your use yet. You will send a message for me. To the one whose drawing I showed to you. To the half-orc, the one they called Sirus Skerlati. Do not worry about finding him, for he is brave and tenacious, unlike you, and he will surely come to you. And you see him, you will tell him-

Setsuna and Brin and Sirus

"Hiss Lordsship. He hass a place... f-f'yoo. A p-precioussss place. Imm ssso jealoous." Something akin to a smile has crept over Grayst's face and he grins up at Sirus with a undisguised mixture of hope and envy that is frankly frightening to behold, his loose tobacco-stained teeth bared and sinister blackened gums showing. It would seem that the gangrene has somehow spread to Grayst's insides.

"He hass... a messsage. F'yoo. Made meee rememember it! Lordssshipp. He di'. Woo'nt approve... if I f'got. No no no no no no no no no...."

For a moment, it seems that Grayst has lost himself in endless repetitions of the last word he spoke, humming and swaying back and forth on the bed, his brow scrunched in a parody of intense concentration. Finally, he wriggles with a perverse glee, cackling as he bounces up and down in joy, almost toppling himself off the bed and into Setsuna's face.

"Hessed! That the bodies yoo fi'ding are ssssigns. An-and portentss! An' when hes done, yoo be r-remember'd. F'ever! Hessed that iff yoo came to him, he would end... the harvesst. In y'honour..." Having exhausted himself with the effort, Grayst moans and lashes his head from side to side, suddenly weeping without tears, his shoulders heaving. "Whyit have t'be yoo. He killed them... all f'yoo. If not f'yoo, they'd be alive."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show