Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1684
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus
    HP22 AC 25


    Sirus grunts as the chain rips a good chink of his flesh. The brutal part of him almost growls in agreement. He had been sloppy, he deserved it and now he is bleeding. But he is also very close to his opponent.

    His feet sliding forward, his hands become a blur, as he commences a series of strikes to nerve points.

    Spoiler
    Show
    FoB and Stunning Fist until he succeeds.
    Atk1 (1d20+12)[18] dmg (1d8+5)[13] DC19 Fort
    Atk2 (1d20+12)[25] dmg (1d8+5)[13] DC19 Fort
    Atk3 (1d20+7)[21] dmg (1d8+5)[9] DC19 Fort

    Style damage Hammerblow if an attack hits (1d8)[3]
    If two attack hit (2d6)[7]

    Also, Stunning Fist attempts that miss get wasted? I mean, do they count against the limit?

  2. - Top - End - #1502
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    HP 27/40
    AC 23
    -Parry 25

    Wincing as she collides with the desk, That was stupid...I didn't realize how off balance that arrow put me...

    Shaking her head, she pulls herself up, careful to keep her footing this time but in the process seemingly leaving herself open to the would-be assassin for a brief moment Now, when he tries to stab me, parry it!


    Once back on her feet, however, she's quick to strike back, using the high ground to its fullest. "Surrender, you can not beat us!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Standing up as a move action (provoking an AoO)

    If the assassin takes the attack of opportunity (or if it doesn't, but tries to attack her on his turn);
    Opportune Parry and Riposte (Arcane Pool 4/6)
    Parry; (1d20+13)[25] -corrected roll in dice thread
    Riposte (1d20+13)[25]
    Damage (1d8+8)[10] nonlethal

    Attack (1d20+13)[28]
    Damage (1d8+8)[11] nonlethal
    Last edited by Desril; 2015-08-31 at 04:23 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  3. - Top - End - #1503
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin
    30/30 HP
    18 AC


    Stuck between two different skirmishes, Brin can't decide who needs her help more. Sirus injured, but Red is too, and she's alone. Setsuna's back on her feet...that seals it. Brin spins around and draws two arrows, quick as a greased halfling. Hmm, I wonder if that dive in Riddleport is still open. She muses recalling a wild night of drinking, gambling, and halfling curling as she works her bow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack NS2 this time, with rapid shot and point blank shot:

    (1d20+8)[18]
    (1d8+2)[9]

    (1d20+8)[21]
    (1d8+2)[3]

    Crit:

    (1d20+8)[12]
    (1d8+2)[8]
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2015-08-31 at 11:54 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #1504
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Sirus

    Spoiler
    Show
    NS1 Fort Saves:
    (1d20+8)[12] - failed
    (1d20+8)[22] - passed

    2 SF attempts hit, 1 misses


    As if to make up for his opening strike missing, Sirus sets upon the assassin mercilessly. He pummels the miscreant's belly and wounded shoulder with clenched fist after fist, a faint effervescent glow of ki radiating from his palms.

    NS1 is stunned. However, he does not drop his weapon as it is looped around his body. But he still needs to draw it again to use it.

    *****

    Setsuna

    You are not made of stone, even if you may look the part, remarks Maethilur acidly, as the tiefling scrambles to her feet. Quickly now. There is little time to spare. Ah, yes. Like that. This is better.

    The black blade's silken voice almost purrs as Setsuna deals such a powerful blow to the assassin that his armour rings with the clash of steel. Haste is of scant use if your blows go awry. Why do you measure your strength though? Dishonourable men such as him deserve no mercy.

    *****

    Brin

    An arrow is not a halfling, though (sober) Brin's skill in aiming the former is arguably much better. Her second arrow slices through the assassin's hood, lodging of all places in her cheek like a prop in a comical woodland show.

    *****

    Night Scale 1 is stunned and unable to act.

    *****

    Night Scale 2 and Red

    Red
    HP: 31/48
    AC 21 (including +1 DF)


    Spoiler
    Show
    NS2:
    Free action: drop bow
    Other action: Draw weapon
    Attack: (1d20+12)[32], Damage: (2d4+4)[10]
    Confirm Critical: Attack: (1d20+12)[19], Damage: (2d4+4)[10] - missed

    Red:
    Attack 1: (1d20+8)[20], Damage: (1d4+4)[6]
    Attack 2: (1d20+8)[11], Damage: (1d4+4)[7]


    The arrow sticking out the cheek of the other assassin, oddly enough, somehow makes her a lot less menacing than the gaping wounds that Red has carved into her legs. Hissing a low snarl of fury at the tiny woman, the assassin drops her bow to the floor with a clatter and promptly snatches up her own set of spiked chains, which she had looped about her shoulders.

    Unlike her companion on the other side of the room, this assassin wears thick gauntlets of reinforced leather. She certainly has no qualms about grasping a fistful of chain and clubbing Red heavily on the skull with it. Dizzy from the blow, Red's grip falters as she staggers, eyes squeezed shut in defence, one kukri skittering uselessly across the assassin's armour while the other still manages to bite into the assassin's arm out of sheer luck.

    *****

    Combat Map
    Please note the obstacles in the room! It's Acrobatics DC 20 to move across them. Given the nature of the obstacles, if you fail the check, something might fall....


    Initiative Order:
    20 - NS1 - stunned, will recover next round
    19 - NS2
    18 - Red
    > 18 - Sirus
    13 - Setsuna
    11- Brin


    It is now Sirus's turn.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2015-09-01 at 12:35 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  5. - Top - End - #1505
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    HP 27/40
    AC 23
    + Parry 19

    Steadier on her now, Setsuna continues her assault, this time calling up a simple spell to speed things along even as she replies to Maethilur. "You know why...dishonorable, criminal, it does not matter!" Punctuating the statement with a slash, she continues, "Every one deserves mercy, a second chance, so how can I not offer it?"

    Merciful or not, she doesn't limit the power of her blows as she strikes to incapacitate, she just doesn't aim for vital points.

    Spoiler
    Show

    The Usual Combo, Spell Combat + Arcane Mark + Spellstrike (+High ground)

    Swing! (1d20+11)[17]
    Damage (1d8+8)[12] nonlethal

    Spellstrike (1d20+11)[24]
    Damage (1d8+8)[11] nonlethal + "Bad" being his Mark.

    (Not fighting defensively since he's stunned and can't take the AoO)

    If he tries to attack Setsuna, Parry and Riposte
    Parry; (1d20+13)[19]
    Riposte (1d20+13)[24]
    Damage (1d8+8)[15] nonlethal

    Since the parry never occurred, she's still a 5/6 Arcane Pool, though she goes to 4/6 if she has to parry him here.
    Last edited by Desril; 2015-09-01 at 06:05 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  6. - Top - End - #1506
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    "Ouch!" Brin cringes sympathetically as the barbed chain raps Red on the noggin. But she'd been wait for just such a move. The assassin's bow was wood, but the chain...the chain would work nicely. Even those thick gloves wouldn't save her hands from what was coming.

    "Please, Pharasma, reach down for some hellfire and light that woman up!" She pleads, pointing at the steel weapon. Immediately the metal loops nearest the woman's hands begin glowing cherry red.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Burning Disarm on NS2. DC 15 Reflex to drop the weapon, otherwise take (5d4)[11] damage.

    The spell isn't entirely clear, but I believe attempting the save means you drop the weapon, whether you succeed or not. Or you can just eat the damage to stay armed

  7. - Top - End - #1507
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus
    HP 22 AC 25


    Seeing his opponent fall from the combined attacks, Sirus sprints to the other side of the room to help Red.

    'Red. Make. Space'

    As he moves, he again gathers his ki.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move around to E7 and attack NS2 if Ref will give way. Perhaps he delays after she does? If not Acrobatic to jump on the chairs and attack from there?
    Acrobatic (1d20+12)[23]
    Atk and Stunning Fist [roll]1d20+12[/roll[ dmg (1d8+5)[8]

  8. - Top - End - #1508
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    GM is doing some creative turn swapping for this to make sense, since combat will end in this post...

    Setsuna and NS1

    Spoiler
    Show
    I know NS1 hasn't actually drawn his weapon again yet. This is just for flavour.


    The assassin doesn't seem to care much for Setsuna's mercy. Even as she retorts to Maethilur, the grizzled man grits his teeth and shakes his head wildly from side to side to recover. Swinging his spiked chain up just in time, he manages to swat the blade darting at his jaw aside with a resounding clang.

    The gleam of triumph in his eyes is short-lived, however. Mere contact is all that Setsuna needs for her spell to work. As his chain glances off Setsuna's blade, the man suddenly goes rigid, a light trace of smoke rising from his chest as arcane energies brand deep into his flesh under his clothes. Mouthing something soundlessly, he keels over, the chains slipping from his grasp and coiling on the floor.

    NS1 is now unconscious from non-lethal damage.

    *****

    Sirus and Brin and NS2 and Red

    Red
    HP: 23/48
    AC 21 (including +1 DF)

    Spoiler
    Show
    NS2 chooses not to drop the chains, takes the 11 damage.

    NS2:
    Attack 1: (1d20+12)[29], Damage: (2d4+4)[8]
    Attack 2: (1d20+7)[12], Damage: (2d4+4)[11]

    Red:
    Attack 1: (1d20+8)[20], Damage: (1d4+4)[7]
    Attack 2: (1d20+8)[27], Damage: (1d4+4)[6]
    Confirm Critical - Attack: (1d20+8)[15], Damage: (1d4+4)[5] - misses


    A muscle jumps in Red's blood-stained jaw at Sirus's call, but she doesn't move - perhaps because there is nowhere to move without the assassin's path to escape being clear, perhaps because she can't make him out over the ringing in her ears. Gathering himself, Sirus adroitly leaps atop the crates, his fist once more drawn back and ready to strike.

    However, this assassin is too canny to be taken off-guard like this. Her gaze flickers briefly in Sirus's direction, but other than a merely tilt of her head aside to avoid being socked in the jaw, she doesn't bother to grace him with any more acknowledgement.

    Brin's spell, at least, definitely makes up for her spite. No leather gloves can withstand burning wrath fuelled by the goddess to whom all must come for judgement. As her weapon abruptly glows bright orange, the assassin glances down sharply, her eyes narrowing in momentary confusion before her gaze hardens to iron coldness.

    Clenching her chains all the tighter, she gives a snarl of rage, her body trembling in a supreme effort of will that Sirus might have found admirable for sheer force, waiting for the spell to take its toll. Indeed, as soon as the chains begin to lose their molten glow, the assassin gasps once, hisses, then presses on with her attack on Red, hammering down on the small woman's shoulders with all her might.

    Her fury makes her careless though, for the instant her blows slow in pace, the assassin abruptly stiffens, a low gurgling sound coming from her throat before she collapses to the ground, blood fountaining from her neck and belly. From where she stands, Red looks up wordlessly at the rest of you, one eye half closed and already swelling up from where the spiked chain had raked.

    NS2 is now dead.

    Combat is over, initiative ends.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  9. - Top - End - #1509
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    In the wake of the sudden violence, Brin looks over her wounded comrades with some alarm. Red's busted up all over with an arrow through her thigh, Sirus's hip looks like a burst sausage, and Setsuna has an arrow of her own wedged almost to the fletching in her chest. Oh, and there's still the two halflings.

    "Wow, that's a lot of blood."
    Brin sums up her opinion based on decades treating wounds. "Hurry up and bind the one that's still breathing. I'm going to ask the Goddess to heal you all in one go, and I can't really tell her 'except that guy.' Also, you'll want to yank those arrows out once the glowing starts so they don't get...um...healed-over." She waits for someone to tie the Night Scale up before calling on Pharasma.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Based on the map, everyone--halflings included--should be in range for channeling. Let's start with two charges:

    (3d6)[11]
    (3d6)[11]

  10. - Top - End - #1510
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Feeling the grace of his goddess flood him, Sirus imperceptibly shakes his head. He is getting complacent and ineffective. His performance in this battle has been abominable. He nods at Red to signify his appreciation for taking care of the man.

    A strict regiment of training is in order. Every day.

  11. - Top - End - #1511
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Focused on her foe as she was, she didn't notice who got the killing blow on the other, but she frowns nevertheless when she sees her not breathing. "I had hoped we could defeat them without anyone dying..." I need to get stronger. If I'd been faster then...

    Moving over to Red's side, past the stacked desks, "Are you alright?"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  12. - Top - End - #1512
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    "... Not really." Blinking sticky blood out of her eye, Red breathes out heavily, suddenly wearied as the heady fever of battle fades, flooding her limbs with stabbing pain. She was still alive, thank Cayden for Brin's heat spell thing. She'd gotten the bad guy. Perhaps she wasn't that useless after all.

    Just once 's fluke. Blind luck. Any idiot could do that. Do it again. Show me. Red grimaces and pushes away the memory of Chanda's scoffing. She'd have to try harder. Make sure she continued not being useless. She'd show her. But speaking of blind...

    "I... will be. Are you h-hurt bad? Could you... please...? I can't see..." Looking up at Setsuna as best she can through her other eye, Red gestures towards the arrow in her thigh, trying to smile through the pain. That, as Rico would say, was going to sting like a mother-frakken fiend. "The arrow-head... You need to cut it first... before... pulling the rest out."

    *****

    GM post

    Assuming both the Night Scales are looted... you can use their own rope to tie them.

    The party finds the following on the Night Scales. I'm assuming the magic people use Detect Magic. Take what you want and make the checks if you need to!
    • Two +1 Chain Shirts
    • Two +1 Spiked Chains
    • Two masterwork composite longbows (STR +1)
    • 32 arrows
    • Two Cloaks... they have a faint abjuration aura.
    • One Smokestick
    • One Silk Rope


    It is no easy task to bind a heavy-set man when half of the party is limping or bleeding profusely. By the time you all have managed to truss the unconscious assassin up with his own coil of rope, there's enough blood tracked over the floor and smeared on the wares to ensure that the halflings, when they wake up, are certainly going to be very cross with all of you for spoiling the merchandise.

    All the same, that doesn't stop Brin from sighing heavily before she calls on the mercy of Pharasma, baptising all of you in a warm violet glow that knits together torn flesh and bone, as well as rousing those who have passed out from their slumber. At your feet, such is the iron discipline of the remaining assassin that he takes but a few seconds to register what has happened and quickly resumes thrashing and trying to wiggle out of the ropes. (There is precious little chance of that though, since Sirus is quite handy at making knots.) Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, the halfling that Brin had first seen in her vision stirs, groaning as she struggles to rise.

    Given that your legal status in town is still suspect, thanks to the Justice Ironbriar, it is probably best to make a break for it before the halflings sufficiently wake up and start asking questions. Gathering up any of the assassins' gear that you have decided to abscond with, you quickly glide down the stairs and past the other halfling, who flops limply and raises a hand blearily in your direction as you pass. There is nobody else in the vicinity who is capable of arresting your movement, however, and so you arrive back outside the sawmill once more - a little more bruised, a little richer, but certainly not much wiser as to what on earth is going on is this part of town.

    Looking back down the road at the Seven's Sawmill, you can see that the two dock workers have apparently vanished. The bag of cat (much to Red's visible distress), is also missing, which probably does not bode well for the cat.

    The afternoon air is thick and muggy, the air above the dung-splattered dirt path shimmering in the heat. From behind the sawmill come the faint cries of gulls as they wheel above the mainland harbour, just audible over the ever-present churn of the sawmill wheels. The only movement you can see is one that none of you would have perhaps ever expected to see - just coming over the bridge, there is one Taladron, lanky, frantic, his grey robes flapping wildly behind him as he scuttles as fast as he can in your direction...

    It is now 1700hrs.

    *****

    Taladron

    It's been some time since you've had occasion to run. Your lungs right now probably feel as if they are about to explode at any moment, your heart pounding against your thin ribs. Worst of all, your companions seem to have spotted you, which doesn't help you feel any less spider-like as you clumsily try to dodge hardened pats of buffalo dung while moving as fast as you can.

    The voice in your head. It'd sounded like Aunt Vera. You'd been so sure. So sure, that you'd made all the way back into Keystone and were halfway to the shop when you'd spotted a couple of young students from the Stone of the Seers with their imp familiars - Qistala's nemeses - and something else, another voice in your head, had pointed out to you that Aunt Vera would have surely sent Qistala to find you if any harm had befallen her...

    Shaking off the spell had been like rising out of water after being held under. Something had clicked in your head and you'd staggered to a halt, gasping as you shivered and came to your senses. Of all the amateur frivolities in the world, that someone as accomplished as you should have fallen victim to a simple Suggestion! And you'd left your companions, bereft of arcane assistance, and who knew what trouble those rabble would get into without your help.

    Turning on your heels, you'd begun jogging, then sprinting, then holding your side and wheezing, trying to pretend that you didn't look distinctly undignified. As it happens, you happen to have caught a second wind just when the others spot you, so at least there's that to be thankful for...

    Taladron has rejoined the party.

    *****

    Naya has now entered the game.

    For Naya only
    Spoiler
    Show
    (You may assume you're at full HP with all spells on your CS intact.)

    You hadn't meant to knock the silly man out. It'd been a rather boring day so far, just sitting and watching the sky. You'd only wanted to ask him a few questions, like why was he bobbing about the Yondabakari River dressed as a cloud, and why that surly-looking half-orc had been chasing him from the shore, and whether he was up to no good or not.

    As it turned out, the silly man had been rather annoyed with you summoning a gust of wind to push him back to the little islet's shore. He hadn't bothered to even say hello back and had instead lunged for his bow to try and pepper you with arrows. So of course you'd had to defend yourself. And now he was lying on the ground, his clothing fried and blood running from his temple.

    So much for a boring day. You've done your fair share of adventuring, but figuring out what to do with a body when the man was still breathing and you were alone in a foreign city was something rather new.

    You're puzzling this over when you spot a knot of people hurry out of a nearby sawmill. One of them is the surly half-orc you'd seen chasing this man earlier on, when he was a cloud and not a man. Perhaps he might be able to give you some answers...
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  13. - Top - End - #1513
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Naya

    "Oops!"

    With that word a young and reasonably pretty pale-blue-skinned woman clad in a simple knee-length skirt and equally simple shirt - both shades of blue, and both looking new, but obviously mismatched - kneeled next to the man who just tried to attack her out of nowhere. Attack or not, killing people was far from the top of Naya's favorite pastimes... luckily, it didn't come to that, at least; even her meager knoledge of medicine was enough to tell the man was breathing, at least - though not enough to tell if he would continue to breathe if left alone. If only Kaylee was here... Kaylee, however, assuming everything went according to plan, was in Brevoy by now, and even Naya's meager knowledge of geography was enough to tell it's very, very far from Magnimar.

    On her own, unfortunately, there was literally nothing Naya could do for the man - her magic was ill-suited for healing. Naya slapped the man on the cheek to try to get him to his senses, ready to turn into wind herself should his awakening prove rude - but the effort proved futile... The salvation came i the form of a curious half-orc she saw earlier as he appeared from the nearby sawmill in a company so diverse there could really be only one reason that could hold them together.

    "Eh... sir!" she exclaimed, waving her hand to attract the half-orc's attention, "Excuse me, but could you please explain what did you want from this man? It's just he was a bit aggressive, and, well, I didn't intent to, but, well, if he's your friend, you would probably want to let a healer look at him... sorry."
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  14. - Top - End - #1514
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Finally making it to his friends, Taladron nods to them as way of greeting seeing as his huffing and puffing make it rather impossible to explain his presence. Thus Taladron is rather glad of the sylph's distraction giving him the chance to catch his breath and pick up the shattered remains of his dignity.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  15. - Top - End - #1515
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Nodding at Red, she goes about helping to remove the arrow-head before Brin heals them. "I am fine...it was just a scratch, nothing to be worried about," she says confidently.


    ****

    Just before she could wave to Taladron, someone new made her appearance, with an unconscious man as well. Though she addressed Sirus, Setsuna couldn't help but look at her odd, blue apparel. Having missed the sight of her half-orc companion glaring down the escaping mist, the tiefling had no way of knowing what Sirus' relationship to him was, and so she looks to him. "Do you know that man?"

    After getting his answer, she moves to Taladron's side, remembering why he ran off in the first place. "Is your aunt okay? What happened?"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  16. - Top - End - #1516
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Scrunching his face up in disgust at Setsuna's question, Taladron makes an irritated *Tch* sound before answering, "She was never in any trouble, though I very nearly was. I didn't notice the Suggestion laced into the Sending until it was almost too late. Another pair of wizards were hanging around my Aunt's shop, and while that wouldn't be odd seeing as she caters to academy students, they both had Imp familiars, which Aunt Vera and Qistala refuse to let into the store."

    Taladron takes a moment to wipe off some of the dust that had landed on him during his mad dash, wishing he had Prestidigitation prepared for the day before continuing, "When I saw those hooded figures waiting around where they had no business, I was able to put two and two together and snap out of the compulsion. I ducked into a nearby alleyway and made my way back to you all with all due haste." Taladron looks to the Seven's Sawmill and back at the party, "And it appears I arrived just in time to join you all in hopefully putting this unfortunate business to rest."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  17. - Top - End - #1517
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Their exit was by necessity a swift one, but not so hasty as to leave the assassins bedecked with all the deadly equipment they'd brought with them. Besides, the dead Night Scale had a rather nice looking set of chain that looked about the right size...

    But such thoughts were unworthy of one busy tending the dead, no matter how rushed the service. Brin sees to it that the dead woman and prisoner alike are stripped of their armor and weapons while Red and Setsuna make ready for healing. It's a quick process for one experienced in handling bodies, and Brin has had plenty of extra practice since joining this lot. She isn't entirely sure what to think about that, but at least the assassin was getting a proper send-off. Whether the Night Scale deserved it or not was irrelevant. She'd be judged on the spire, and the last thing Brin needed was some revenant or worse rising up to take its revenge.

    And if that chain shirt fit, all the better. And the arrows, never enough of those. The cloaks looked interesting, too...

    ---------------------------------------------

    Brin emerges a minute after the others, having found a secluded spot to test the fit of the assassin's armor. Like a glove. She wonders, remembering what an enormous production it had been to get her old set fitted just right. Three trips to the armorer for measurements with a fourth a few weeks later to fix that chaffing spot, and for all its lightness it was still never quite this comfortable. Enchanted from now on.

    She catches the tail end of Taladron's explanation, which was more than enough to realize that their pursuers were closing in. They also seemed to be attracting the attention of every random passer-by. Like that odd water-colored waif waving and shouting about friends and healers for gods-knew-what reason.

    "Eh, Sirus, you know her?" Brin asks.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2015-09-10 at 03:00 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #1518
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus had no time to hep Brin do Pharasma 's work, as once again life puts him in a whirlwind of events. No sooner have they finished the assasins, that a scantily clad female is waving to get their attention. Sirus sighs inwardly. Perhaps learning the Silent Arts has been a mistake. He could well have walked around in a clown outfit specked with glitterdust.

    He approaches the female, gesturing that some help from his more talkative comrades would be of help. He turns to Brin.

    " No. I. Do not. But. She seems. To have. Apprehended. Another one."

    He moves closer, his hands held together in a non-threatening manner.

    "He. Attacked you. Yes? Perhaps. You should. Search him. And. Find out. Why. I am. Certain. He is. Not. A good man."

  19. - Top - End - #1519
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Naya, Sylph Sorceress

    "Oh, no", Naya shakes her head overhearing Brin's question, "I don't think I've met any of you before... It's just, I saw just recently your friend - Sirus, right? He was chasing after some obviously magical cloud, and then it drifted over the canal, and, well, magic shouldn't be allowed to be left unsupervised, so I decided to help him catch it... And then the cloud turned into this man and started shooting at me, so, I just had to defend myself, and, well, it seems I went a bit overboard... So, if this man's your friend, you'd better have a healer look at him... I'll pay for the healing, don't worry! Oh, and it was a nice trick, turning into a cloud... I should try it myself!" she finishes excitedly.

    Then, hearing the half-orc's proposition, she hesitates slightly, "Search him? Well, I can try, but..." no, no buts. She saw her companions doing that often enough to handle something so simple...

    Whispering a simple spell that allowed her to see magic, she starts combing through the man's possessions...
    Last edited by jamieth; 2015-09-10 at 10:29 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  20. - Top - End - #1520
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    It was good to be outside again and to feel the sunlight caress her skin, even if the air smelled like a dirty stable. But the cat was gone. If they'd killed it, wouldn't they have chucked it by the road? What had happened to the cat? Bad people weren't supposed to treat animals well - were they?

    Red bites her lip, trying not to think of the bloated furry carcasses she'd seen floating in Korvosan canals or of mutilated kittens flung out to die by the roadside. Sighing aloud, without quite realising what she's doing, she rests her head against Setsuna's shoulder for a few seconds, trying to quell the upsurge of morbid thoughts. Then, noticing the newcomer, she sighs again, straightens up and tries to explain.

    "T-this man... he is... of the assa-sassins. He tr-tried to attack us... We-" Frowning as she dimly realises that there is no way to properly explain what is going on to the blue lady without revealing the truth of why they're here, Red glances askance for help at Sirus and Setsuna. But she couldn't always look to them for answers. Being not-useless meant doing things for yourself. Like how all those years ago, after she'd first run away from the Irorians, she'd finally plucked up enough courage to ask for a job cleaning up the bar to earn some coin instead of swiping food off roadside stalls or begging like a wretch...

    "W-we are in...vestigating. I-in the name of the S-Sandpoint W-watch. And p-pursuing b-big leads." Red hears herself stammer out. Were those the right words? It was what she'd heard Rico say all the time. "This man... is hired b-by the one b-behind everything."

    *****

    GM post

    Naya finds the following items on the assassin:

    • One masterwork composite longbow (STR +1)
    • 16 arrows
    • One sap
    • Thieves tools
    • +1 Studded Leather
    • One vial labelled 'Wasp Venom'
    • One guild sigil with a wyvern - Knowledge (local) DC 15 to confirm that this is the crest of the local Night Shade assassins guild
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  21. - Top - End - #1521
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Naya, Sylph Sorceress

    Quickly sifting throught the items, Naya sets aside everything that looks interesting. A bow - even without trying, she knew she wouldn't be able to draw it even halfway... a vial of what looks to be poison... nasty! a set of lockpicks... nothing that looks particularly useful. Except, perhaps... "He bears some kind of sigil", she proclaims, straightening up, "Do you have any ideas what it might be? And... assasin, you say? Oh... well, I'll probably have to bring him to the guards, then... but, I don't think I can do it alone... unless her turns into a cloud again, at least? Wait! You said you're working for the Watch? But... eh, don't take it as an offence, but you don't really look like guards...which means, I were right - you're adventurers, right? Oh, could you tell me more of your heroics?! Oh, sorry, I forgot to introduce myself first... Naya, formerly of the Sapphire Scarabs company! So, would you please help me get the prisoner to te guards? We could talk along the way... Oh, and -" she looks at the assasin, "If any of you wants a new armor... he has a pretty nice one - reinforced by magic, too... I think it's a fair trophy, right?"
    Last edited by jamieth; 2015-09-10 at 12:27 PM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  22. - Top - End - #1522
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Spoiler: Knowledge Local (Rolled in Dice thread)
    Show
    (1d20+10)[23]


    Taladron moves over and glances at the Wyvern patch before nodding and saying, "It is indeed another Night Scale. Also, young lady," Taladron adds turning to the sylph, "considering that this assassin was likely hired by the local judge I very much doubt that calling the guard would be wise. In fact," Taladron continues although in a tone much more somber, "it may be easier for everyone involved, assassin included, if he never recovered."

    That said, Taladron raises a hand to finish the assassin off, but looks to the party for the inevitable refusals to the most sensible course of action.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  23. - Top - End - #1523
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    As it must, the refusal that Taladron looked for came from Setsuna. "Stop! We can not just kill him! Even if he is an assassin, that does not give us any right to just execute him!" She moves over to stand by the downed Night Scale, "He will probably not wake up until after we have finished looking into the sawmill. We can just tie him up and take him to..." she bites her lip, thinking, "We could take them all to a temple of Iomedae! They may have some sort of holding area apart from Magnimar's jails."

    Turning her attention to Naya she points out that, "If any one should have a trophy from defeating this one, it is you, though it does not seem like you need armor either. Perhaps you should just take it to sell?"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  24. - Top - End - #1524
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Sighing, Taladron let's his hand fall to his side, "Very well, do what you feel you must. Just don't expect me to hold back once we go inside." His eyes have a dangerous angry glint to them as he says, "I am rather miffed that they had the nerve to cast a compulsion on me..."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  25. - Top - End - #1525
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Naya, Sylph Sorceress

    "Well, I suppose extra money won't hurt", Naya replies after some hesitation, unfastening the assassin's armor and stuffing it inside her bag that, by all right, shouldn't be able to fit it inside but did nonetheless. The same way goes the bow, while the vial of poison finds its way in one of the side pouches attached to the sack. "It's a long way to Brevoy, after all... Oh, and temple of Iomedae is just the place - but I'll still have to ask you to help me with carrying him... Oh, and you have to tell me what kind of investigation is that that a judge orders to kill you? It's something... important and exciting, right?" she asks with a hope in her voice.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  26. - Top - End - #1526
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Breathing a sigh of relief at Taladron, she nods. Though she'd rather not kill anyone, not everyone could be expected to know how to defend themselves with the precise amount of force required to incapacitate their foes without truly harming them.

    To Naya, however, she nods. Perhaps due to her trusting nature, or maybe just something about the sylph seeming trustworthy, she starts to talk more than she should. "There were several ritualized murders in Sandpoint, a town north of here, and we have been trying to track down the person in charge. We found things that hinted that one of the Justices in Magnimar was involved, and that it has some thing to do with this sawmill," she points toward their destination. Then realizes she's perhaps spoken too much, "Though we still do not have all the information, so please, keep this secret!"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  27. - Top - End - #1527
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Naya

    "What! A Justice - a murderer?!"
    the sylph exclaims a tad louder then it wold be wise considering the sworswoman's warning, but immediate covers her mouth and cotinues in a voice barely above a whisper, "I knew there was something wrong with this city... it can't be that hard to find a ship going to the north that would accept a passenger..." then, in a normal voice, "So... you're saying there might be an evidence in this sawmill?" she bites her lip, "I suppose... what if anyone there would also try to turn into a cloud? I can't let that evidence go away..." she bites her lip a bit harder, "Eh... would any of you mind if I follow you to that sawmill?"
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  28. - Top - End - #1528
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    After a moment's pause for thought, Brin answers the blue-skinned woman. "Yes...yes. The more the merrier. Or less deadly, I hope." She agrees, though not without some reticence.

    Well, she's knows almost as much as we do now.
    She flashes a quick glare at Setsuna. It's not like we can just let her wander around behind us. Either someone will capture her and find out what she knows, or she'll turn us in. The woman seemed genuine enough, but then so had Taladron's message. Brin rubs her temples and reaches for one of her flasks, only to frown as she remembers that there'd been no opportunity to refill it. All this cloak and dagger was giving her a headache.

    "Let's get going, then. Who knows what evidence is being destroyed while we're standing around."

  29. - Top - End - #1529
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    klop-klopk-klop klink

    A sweated horse clops down the street,
    Cobbles grating at its nigh-wobbling feet
    Errant street-dogs sniff at the blood's scent
    Upon the stranger in their midst.
    But shy away on lance's bent.
    Weather-beaten coat and cuirass
    Flap and clink in the cold night air.
    The rider sags in the saddle, yet still glares
    Glares through bloodshot eyes,
    Wide nostrils snorting steam.
    Wolvish ears droop beneath the shade
    Of a black, wide-brimmed hat.
    Through the haze of fogged sight and leaden limbs,
    ---and things best left forgotten,
    at least until a quieter time---
    Still Rico spots something, some one... suspicious.
    Crouched, stalking, naked daggers laid out.
    Wary of assassins, sore-tempted to but run him down,
    Still, Rico slows,
    Flashes her badge, and flips it closed,
    Then barks,
    "Hoy! YOU! Old man. WHO The frak're ye... kaff... waitin' fer?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    W'elp.
    Hallo again, y'all. I'm hoooooome.
    Shoe is in the door, so to speak.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  30. - Top - End - #1530
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Red had never met a sylph before, though she had heard enough tales about them. Let alone one that claimed to be an adventurer. Still... times were rough. One just had to hope that she wasn't an agent of that Justice in disguise or worse. And now that Taladron was back, surely they would be able to handle a traitor, if this Naya turned out to be one. But she seemed a little like Setsuna - innocent and carefree. Surely that was a good sign.. right?

    Rubbing the side of her nose, right above the bruise that still remained from where the assassin had struck her head, Red sighed quietly to herself. This was turning out to be a very long day.

    *****

    GM post

    Everyone at the Seven's Sawmill


    With the group reunited and a curious sylph in tow, you troop cautiously towards the sawmill and enter it by the same route Sirus had taken.

    The water-swollen planks of the broadwalk (D1) creak ominously underfoot as you tread about the perimeter of the building. The two dock workers are nowhere to be seen, though the poles that they had been using to nudge the logs into the under-portion of the mill lie abandoned on the ground. In the green water swirling a few feet below, you can see the unsawn bulk of tree trunks jostling for room as they bob to and fro in the current. It certainly is a suspicious set-up, given that it is not yet the time of the day for knocking off from work, and it doesn't take a half-baked mind to realise that you are quite likely walking right into a trap that you have given the enemy time to prepare, no less.

    All the same, the loading bay (D2) looks much as Sirus had left it. The wagons to the south wall have not been moved, and the stinky hay in the side alcove- what sort of unwashed animal had been making its bed here? - does not appear to have been moved. Those who glance up at the opening in the ceiling that leads to the floor away might try to peer beyond the tangle of ropes and slings for lowering timber, but fail to observe anything moving in the room beyond.

    All would appear to be normal, and yet, even Naya can sense in her bones - something in this building holds its breath. Watching. Waiting. For you to move.

    Survival DC 15 (only if you weren't here the last time)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hay in the side alcove stinks to high heaven and certainly smells like some beast of burden has recently rolled about (or perhaps even widdled) into its bedding. You realise with a start, however, that this hay is far too crushed and bent to have been lain on by some old buffalo. Something big once rested here. Something much bigger than a buffalo. Like an ogre or giant, perhaps.


    Map


    *****

    Rico

    You've had worse nights than the one you just went through, but riding full-tilt back to Sandpoint to raise the alarm and then all the way to Magnimar in pitch-darkness was no joke. You can't remember the last time your buttocks felt this sore, where every trot of your well-meaning steed sends a twinge of agony through your aching muscles. Sleep is a distant memory right now, your eyes caked with dust from the road and red-rimmed from glaring too much at everyone around you, as if your companions might mysteriously appear.

    You'd forgotten to get the address of Taladron's aunt from him, of course. Forgotten to ask that grouchy sister of Red if she had a means of contact in the city. You'd put Sandpoint's safety first, which was very much in keeping with your duty to the law, but you'd also gotten yourself well and truly lost in the big city with naught to blame but yourself. You've not been to Magnimar very much and you might be enjoying yourself a lot more right now if it wasn't for the fact of you having absolutely no clue what to do right now, since you certainly couldn't ask the city watch for help no more. Not with that double-faced black-hearted coward of a Justice with his thumbs in the pies.

    You're not sure why you're picking on this old guy. Perhaps it's a crack on the noggin from Fox, sending you some love and divine nudging. Perhaps it's how you wouldn't expect an old 'un to be toting naked blades. All the same, you're a cop. And a cop is as a cop does, and what you do best is kicking arse and asking questions - UMPF.

    Rico has rejoined the game.

    *****

    Simatzu

    For Simatzu only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your quest for the errant princess has led you far from home. And you'd found her, yes, but also found your soul. It had taken you time - disguised as a beggar, watching from a distance, cloaked with anonymity in a crowd, trailing her from Sandpoint to Magnimar - and you'd watched her as she fought and battled. And you'd decided, old fool that you were, that you could not slay one of heart so pure and noble, as your contract had demanded.

    So you'd decided to turn yourself in to her, to reveal the truth. You'd tarried a moment to gather your effects from your hidey-hole above a popular inn, but you'd also lost track of the princess and her companions. As luck might have it, you'd found one of them - the half-orc constable of the Sandpoint watch, only that she seemed to be alone. And demanding that you reveal your business to her...


    Simatzu has now joined the game.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2015-09-12 at 10:23 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •