Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1684
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus was ready to press the doctor when the madman suddenly comes to life. Sirus' face becomes almost animated, but then it closes, like a stone door. When the madman finished, he says in a slow voice, even slower than usual.

    "You have. Done well. Your friends. Will be. Avenged.

    Tell me. Where. Can I find. His Lordship? Where is this. Special place?"


    Sirus' face has an intensity very rare for the half orc. He seems ready to jump inside the madman 's skull, to find the answer he seeks.

    Pharasma help me. I will find the man responsible and send him to your Spiral!

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Brin hops back from the madman. That smile was...wrong, and his sudden burst of energy was disconcerting. They should go and fetch a more powerful cleric form Sandpoint immediately, before there was another body to add to "his Lordship's" tally. She doubted the Doctor could do anything for him, and she was appalled that he'd let the man's sickness advance to far. Appalled and suspicious.

    Still, they needed answers, and Grayst was talking, at least. She retreats a couple steps, outside the man's cell, and listens to his response to Sirus's questions.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Taladron stands there for a few moments considering ignoring the teifling's question. It was an active investigation after all, but then he decided that many details would soon be public knowledge and if he was careful he wouldn't reveal anything that would be considered sensitive information. "As you may or may not have heard by now, knowing how fast rumor can spread, there has been another murder at the... what was it called... Scarnatti mill? Anyway, there was evidence to suggest that the murders your madman witnessed and this new incident were connected so we felt it was worth the trip to see if he could be persuaded to recount his trauma."

    After speaking, Taladron realizes that he has yet to clean the road dust and marsh mud off himself so sets himself to the task while his companions are inside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Presdigitation Shower!!! Rico too if she shows an interest in cleanliness.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Doing her best to not start dry-heaving at the sudden mental image and the clarity with which Grayst remembered the details of the scene, Setsuna can't help but turn her head and look away from the madman to get his thoughts out of her head, only to end up hearing more from other people in the process.

    Gods, it's terrible...no wonder he went mad...

    Spoiler
    Show

    So, think I can get a will save on the doctor? I might be able to get more from Grayst's mind, but...she really doesn't want to try.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Setsuna


    Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+5)[20] - passed


    Setsuna does not manage to use Detect Thoughts on the Doctor.

    For a moment, you can sense the shape of the minds around you - Sirus, blazing bright, honed and sharp as steel - Brin, teasing, cloud-like, slipping through your fingers. As your gaze hits the Doctor, standing uneasily by the door, however, there is the feel of a door abruptly slammed shut, nearly causing you to physically jerk away. Should you chance to look at the Doctor's face, you find him staring hawk-like back at you in mingled horror and suspicion. While he likely has no idea of your spell, he can certainly sense the inadvertent attempt to pry apart his mental defences, and he does not like it one bit.

    *****

    Sirus and Brin and Setsuna

    "P-place?" Grayst continues to breathe in and out heavily, gulping for air. "Preciouss, he said. P-prrrecious. Preciouss. Prrecioussss..." The man's voice trails off as if lost in wandering thought, rocking to and fro once more. Over at the door, the Doctor stops glaring at Setsuna long enough to frown worriedly at his patient.

    "I gorrit!" Grayst suddenly beams up at Sirus and surges upright, exposing his loose yellowed teeth once more, giving him an unfortunate resemblance to a whipped horse. "I juss' have to kill yoo fust," explains the madman hungrily, tugging furiously at the leather restraints of the strait-jacket with a strength and energy he shouldn't possess. "Then hiss Lordsship. He woo'nt love yoo noo more. He'd love mee 'stead. And he'd bite on them tooo, bringgem back. Make them hisss. Like mee..."

    Despite his illness, Grayst is powerfully built and in his perplexing eagerness to free himself and kill Sirus, the canvas stitching of the strait-jacket actually begins to pop loose. On his part, the Doctor actually gives a little squeak of alarm as Grayst rises to his feet. Retreating back out the door, he rapidly tugs twice on a thick tasseled rope hanging by a lamp before hollering down the stairs.

    "Patient's loose! Get up here right now!"

    Sirus, Brin, and Setsuna have one round's time to do something about Grayst. If Grayst manages to free himself, combat will begin in the next round.

    *****

    Taladron, Rico, and Red

    "Ah. A Scarnetti man was murdered, eh? Interesting. Interesting indeed." Gortus strokes his chin with exaggerated carefulness. "Connected in what way, I wonder? Perhaps by certain signs? A hanging, perhaps? Calculated to send a message? Lord Titus, he-"

    Just at that moment, the Doctor's frantic cry for help reaches those waiting by the door. Without as much as a mutual glance of understanding, the two tieflings immediately draw truncheons from their belts before turning and charging through the door, following the path the doctor took.

    Those on the verandah are free to do what they like - follow the tieflings, explore the house, etc.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-01-21 at 08:33 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus was watching the poor man intently, hanging from his every word. This is why he was too slow to recognize the signs. But as poor Grayst started to struggle, Sirus hesitated for only a minute. He had seen the clubs on the guards. They would not be subtle.

    He leaps in the bound man. He strikes with his palms open, in places calculated to only leave bruises. His first strike is clumsy, almost breaking the man's nose before holding back, but the second hits him in the solar plexus.

    Spoiler
    Show
    FoB for non-lethal
    Atk1 (1d20+7)[8] dmg (1d8+5)[13]
    Atk2 (1d20+7)[20] dmg (1d8+5)[12]

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Could have solved this problem with the right spell, Brin silently castigates herself for not asking Pharasma for any of a half-dozen powers that could have helped restrain the poor man. She cringes a bit as the punishing blows rain down, reminding herself that Grayst--the mad bastard--had just threatened to kill them all. All she can do is fish the loops of rope from her back and prepare to bind the man once he was subdued.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Having spent most of the past few minutes examining a caterpillar on one of the potted plants outside and not paying any attention at all to the conversation, Red is startled when the tiefling orderlies yank out their truncheons and race off. Freezing for a second, she spares a glance at Taladron and Rico before deciding to give chase, staying on the heels of the orderlies. Whatever that shout meant, it probably wasn't good. If the others were in trouble...

    *****

    GM post

    Even holding back his full prowess, Sirus has no trouble at all subduing the dying Grayst. The man crashes heavily to the floor upon being struck - where he moans softly in a dazed heap, curled up and quite unable to continue his attack. By the time the orderlies and Red make their appearance on the scene, everything has calmed down - or not quite.

    If Brin wishes to try tying him up, she is able to do so without incurring AoOs.

    "Goodness. I..." Yanking the durag from his head and revealing a balding head streaked with sparse grey, the Doctor mops his brow, staring first at Sirus, then at the prone Grayst, quite deflated, all the bluster gone out of him. "Um, listen. I- er- I'm terribly sorry. So sorry. I had no idea he had it him to strike a visitor. I've never had someone get close to breaking the restraints before, um." He fiddles nervously with the durag, teasing the dyed cloth between his long fingers even as he apologises. "If I could, er- count on your discretion on this matter? We only have one sponsor, and if we got into trouble, well- I don't know where I'd house the other patients..."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Winding the rope around the comatose man and tying it is simple enough once Sirus has finished his work. Brin isn't exactly adept with knots, but Grayst can't try to untie the bindings with his hands trapped in the sleeves of the straightjacket.

    She gives the Doctor a hard look when she's done, unsure what to make of him. She didn't really trust him, not after seeing the state the witness was in, but he was slick enough to have answers for everything so far. Or maybe he was telling the truth. Brin's gut didn't exactly have a perfect record on such matters, especially when empty. Hmmph, this is hard. Should have grabbed a snack before marching out to the barn.

    "It takes a powerful man to break out of such restraints." She says, slowly, "especially when so terribly ill. I can't blame you for not realizing he might break free. I don't see any reason to mention this incident to the cleric we summon from Sandpoint to heal his sickness. In the meantime, we should remain here to make sure he doesn't get loose again, and to listen to his rantings should he wake up. He clearly knows something, despite the reticence."

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Still recovering from the images, Setsuna is slow to react and by the time she realizes that she should do something to stop Grayst Sirus had already knocked the madman unconscious. As Brin begins to tie him up the tiefling tries to put together what she saw and relate it to Sirus after taking a moment to compose herself and keeping her eyes on the floor to avoid prying into everyone's mind at once. Realizing that the doctor is still in the room however gets Setsuna to hold her tongue for the moment to avoid complicating things further.

    "I agree, we should stay here. Please send one of your orderlies for a cleric at once, so we can keep his illness from deteriorating."

    That said, she reluctantly looks again at the madman and tries to take in his unconscious thoughts in the hopes that they may prove to have any more useful details.

    Spoiler
    Show

    If Detect Thoughts is still up, reluctantly return to focusing on Grayst. If it's been interrupted or if he's completely thoughtless from that clobbering, dismiss it.

    Diplomacy to convince the doctor to do as asked (1d20+9)[21]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Setsuna is unable to detect thoughts with Detect Thought due to Grayst being mostly unconscious.

    "A cleric... from Sandpoint? Yes. Indeed. I..." mutters the Doctor in a curiously strangled voice, wringing his hands. Eventually, he draws himself up to his full height before saying in a much calmer voice, "Yes. Yes, you are both right. We must send for help. I do not know why I delayed this long. Gortus, Gurnak, please send word to Master Caizarlu immediately. Tell him that our honoured visitors have pressed upon me the urgency of seeing that our patient be cured, instead of giving him up for dead."

    "Doctor? You are sure?" Gortus seems uncertain of the instructions, pursing his lips and glancing at all of you squeezed into the room and the corridor.

    Something has given the Doctor confidence and with it, his lofty attitude has returned. "Aye. I am sure. Go now. It would not do to keep our guests waiting. Hurry!" he calls out with all the imperiousness of a lord over his keep.

    The two tieflings scurry (or in the case of Gortus, clatter) back down the stairs to carry out their errand. Meanwhile, the Doctor moves into the room and kneels down next to Grayst. "Come. Help me move him back onto the bed. The floor is a poor place for a sick man to rest."

    Sense Motive DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, come on. Something is obviously up with the Doctor. He's not acting right. And if the behaviour of the orderlies isn't giving it away already...
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Oh, come on. I've never heard such an obvious coded message in my life. It's all that Brin can do to keep herself from giving the Doctor an incredulous "how stupid do you think we are" stare.

    Instead, she picks herself up from binding Grayst and strides fro the stairs, idly asking her compatriots. "Master Caizarlu? Never heard of him. I thought Father...um, what did the Sheriff say? Zantus. I thought he was in charge of that big temple in Sandpoint."

    She'd only heard the Sheriff mention the Father's name in passing, and it certainly wasn't Caizarlo. Now she was dead certain the Doctor was hiding something, he didn't want Brin and the other here, and now he was sending his flunkies for some ally. Well, probably.

    She walks over to the stairs and shouts down, no longer concerned about disturbing the asylum's other patients. "Rico, Taladron, Red, the orderlies are going out to fetch a cleric named Master Caizarlu. You should make sure they find him. Maybe fetch Father Zantus, as well. Looks like a tough case." As she speaks, here eyes never leave the Doctor and Grayst.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-01-21 at 11:34 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus also catches the strange message behind the message.

    "Yes. Go with. Them. Father Zantus. Does not. Like. People. Being left. For. Dead. And he is. The. Only. Established. Cleric, In these. Parts.

    Perhaps. More people. Are in. Mortal. Danger. And they. Do. Not. Know it. Even. Some. Healthy ones."


    Sirus stares with his bottomless eyes at the orderlies.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Seeing first the orderlies and then Red head inside, Taladron decides to follow. Right inside the entrance however, he decides that he has had enough of this shifty place and decides to get to the bottom of it. A quick incantation later, Taladron's form seems, at first, to become slightly translucent, but then the change deepens until he is completely invisible.

    After that, Taladon begins looking for the doctor's private office where he may keep documents that explains his unwelcoming demeanor.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting invisibility. It lasts for 4 minutes. Also a perception check to find the office if that helps.
    Perception: (1d20+2)[17]
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Map is currently unavailable due to the GM being at work. It will be added to the bottom of this post when the GM gets home from work in about 10hrs time.

    Taladron

    His disappearance having gone unnoticed by the orderlies and even his own companions, Taladron has the luxury of a few good minutes to scout around the ground floor of the sanatorium.

    Aside from being scrupulously clean and organised with manic efficiency, there is little to find in the reception and workroom areas. In fact, the place seems quite devoid of patients, though that could simply mean that their wards are on another floor of the sanatorium. A quick peek into the surrounding rooms reveals them to be bedrooms and a cluttered storeroom crammed with food and water supplies. The tell-tale odour of smoke in two adjacent rooms suggests those to belong to the orderlies, while a neater room with fine cotton bedsheets and a glass decanter of wine in a cupboard is likely to belong to the Doctor.

    In the way of documents, there are none to find, though there is a locked coffer on the headboard of the bed in the Doctor's room. If you pick it up and rattle it about, the muted jingle from within suggests that it contains a small amount of heavy coins rather than papers and parchment.

    Although the stairwell magnifies sound, you can't make out the exact words of the conversation taking place on the floors above you. Still, the gist and tone of the conversation indicates that there will be others coming your way soon, causing you to quicken your pace as you check the last room at the south end of the sanatorium.

    Perhaps to your dismay, you ease open the door of the last room, only to find that the tiny room contains nothing more threatening than a couple of soiled oilskins and some gardening trowels. As you stand about in the large workroom that takes up most of the ground level space, wondering what to do next, your eye might chance to fall upon a space you haven't checked yet - the door leading to the basement of the sanatorium. Any attempts to open the door reveal it to be quite securely locked from the inside. Perhaps Red might be able to jimmy it open for you? Though how she would do so without being observed by the orderlies or the Doctor is another issue entirely.

    Taladron may make an untrained Disable Device check. Or he can think of any other creative way to get the door open, and I'll see how that goes. Or he could just move on to another floor...

    *****

    Everyone Else

    While the Doctor struggles by himself to heave the limp Grayst back onto the bed, the orderlies pause and turn to stare at Sirus. Gurnak, the one with the hooves, even retraces his footsteps and deliberately halts in front of the half-orc, the menace in his tensed muscles obvious to read as he lightly taps his truncheon against his thigh.

    "Is honoured visitor threatening me?" The tiefling's voice is frigid with anger, an ugly sneer slashed across his face. All propriety forgotten, he laughs openly in Sirus's face, a grating high note incongruous with his bulked body as he makes to shove Sirus in the chest, dropping all efforts to maintain a Varisian accent. "Ye dun frighten me, orc-whelp. I dinnot escape chains in Cheliax to be pushed around by the likes of ye. Ye think yer some big man, threaten folk and make them scared, eh? Eh? Ye think I dunno a bully when I sees one?"

    Down the corridor, the other orderly opens his mouth to reprimand his companion, then changes his mind. Rolling his eyes and muttering indistinctly to himself, he continues to trudge down the stairs, on his way to find whoever Mister Caizarlu was. Poised for flight, Red glances helplessly at his retreating form, then back at the rest of you and the tiefling squaring up to Sirus, unable to decide where she ought to be.

    In the meanwhile, Brin's shouting and the rest of the din outside seems to have roused at least one other patient. In the cell next to Grayst's, the tiny sliding panel in the door cracks open, revealing a pinched and distinctly furry face with drooping whiskers on its jowls. It struggles to see what is going on outside to no avail, its husky voice quavering forlornly in the corridor. "Doctor Habe? You there? What happen? Why much noise?"

    Having managed to mandhandle Grayst back into the bed, the Doctor hurries out of the cell and over to his other patient, his voice low and soothing. "It's nothing, Pidgit. Just some visitors for your new neighbour. They're upset to see him so ill."

    *****

    Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-01-23 at 08:04 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus


    Sirus moves closer to the orderly.

    "The Chelaxians. Are not. Very good. At fear. And pain.

    I. Am. Perhaps. Your lessons. Were not. Thorough. Enough.

    Now. Either go. About. Your business. Or stand. Aside.

    But. Either way. Be. Very. Careful. Of what. You will. Say. Next."


    Sirus is really close to the orderly now, his whole body relaxes, the sure sign that he is expecting violence.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidation (1d20+11)[18]

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    At first, Gurnak's face contorts in anger as Sirus makes little of his heritage, but by degrees, his pale eyes widen and he inches backwards ever so slightly, cowed by the half-orc's promise of violence.

    "Oi!" Over at the other patient's door, the Doctor turns and snaps at Sirus, his chin thrust out protectively. "Don't you dare intimidate my orderly. You have no idea what he's been through in Cheliax. I won't have you bully him or suffer your verbal abuse."

    "Is all right, Doctor," mutters the tiefling, even as he tries to avoid Sirus's gimlet gaze, having backed himself up against the corridor wall and run out of space to go. "I had worse. I ken take care myself."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus does not leave the tiefling 's eyes as he responds

    "Accept my. Apologies. Doctor. I am sure. That you. Will. Find. That your. Orderly. Will be. Much better. Behaved. Towards. Next time.

    Now. We were. About. To call. Someone. Yes?"

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Finally recovering from the invasion into Grayst's mind, Setsuna lets Sirus' attempt at intimidation pass without a word, but gets curious as the other patient pipes up. Her curiosity is only intensified as she notices the furry, whiskered face of the speaker and walks closer to get a better look. "Who is this, doctor?"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    "About to call Father Zantus, and Master Caizarlu, or whoever." Bring adds pointedly to Sirus's comments.

    "I'm sure Rico and Red would love to accompany your men back to town. No way to tell if those healers will be home in the middle of the day. Best to send as many as possible, just in case they have to go searching."
    She adds, watching the Doctor closely.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    His scholarly curiosity getting the better of him, Taladron forgets the possible repercussions of breaking through the locked portal. He fiddles with the door for a bit trying to unlock it, but if that fails he resorts to a cantrip to summon orbs of acid to melt the lock.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Devise: (1d20+2)[9] Minus whatever penalty for not having tools (-4?)
    If/When that fails repeated castings of Acid Splash (cantrip) to melt the lock.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post - long post

    Sirus and Brin and Setsuna

    The Doctor takes a deep breath, puffing out his cheeks as he exhales, tugging at his robes. "Yes. Yes, we were. Run along now, Gurnak. And do not worry yourselves, Master Caizarlu doesn't live all that far away from here. You will not have to walk for long," he adds, his hard grey eyes following Red and Rico as they trail Gurnak back down the stairs.

    When Setsuna inquires about the patient in the other room, the Doctor's eyes almost light up, some of the tension melting out of his shoulders as he briskly steps aside so as to let more of the corridor light fall upon the bewhiskered face in the panel. "Ah. This is Pidgit," he announces with all the stern air of a proud papa. "Pidgit is one of our long-term residents. He's got a bit of a hirsute problem. The Magnimar Watch found him wandering the streets and babbling nonsense. Say hello to our guests, Pidgit."

    "Ullo." Pidgit's whiskers quiver as he obediently presses a red-rimmed blue eye to the panel before poking what can only be a short snout through the opening, snuffling eagerly. "They see hippo, Doctor Habe?"

    Knowledge (local) DC 12 - can make untrained
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those of you who have spent time in large cities would be no stranger to Pidgit's kind, but even if you haven't, you've definitely heard enough of the lore surrounding lycanthropes to make the connections. Pidgit is a were-rat who is currently in his hybrid form. Judging from the grey of his whiskers, he's likely to be well past his prime in years.


    The Doctor sighs lightly and pats the door. "I'm afraid not, Pidgit. We cannot find your hippo unless you tell us what it looks like first, remember?"

    "Ooh. Yes. Must tell. But I forget what hippo like," replies Pidgit brightly, his voice muffled due to his snout still sticking out of the narrow panel. Those of you closer to the door note a thin stripe of dark bristles that must be a moustache of some sort running over Pidgit's upper lip. It is almost difficult to believe, given Grayst's condition, that both this happy madman and he are patients of the same Doctor. "How tell?"

    "What about that drawing you did last year, Pidgit? The one with the pink spots? Why don't you show our guests your drawing so that they will know what your hippo is like?"

    Pidgit's giggles are high-pitched and almost child-like. "Ooh. Ooh! Drawing. I drawer. I show?"

    "Of course. Go fetch your drawing, will you? Good boy." The Doctor nods amiably at those of you still present while the furry face vanishes from the window, removing a heavy ring of jangling steel keys from his belt. Selecting a double-sided key with blunt tines, he inserts it into the lock of Pidgit's cell, an apologetic smile painted on his lean face. "You won't mind, will you? Pidgit has his little obsessions. He's harmless for as long as you indulge him within reason. He's been searching for a hippo of his own ever since we let him see a picture book of exotic animals."

    Before any of you can object, the Doctor has twisted the key in the lock, causing an interior mechanism to whirr and fall away, which in turn allows the door to swing open of its own accord. Almost immediately, a stooped wiry figure dressed in a worn white smock shuffles out, blinking bleary blue eyes. As with his face, the rest of this patient's visible skin is covered in patchy brown fur, a naked tail emerging from the seat of his pants and quivering like a question mark as he tentatively holds up a crushed sheet of paper in his gnarled hands. "Drawing," he says with obvious pride, beaming around at all of you, though the chaotic squiggles of crayon on the tattered sheet bear absolutely zero resemblance to any animal you've ever seen. "Got see hippo? Hippo fat, like Gurnak. Eat lots. It- SWORD!"

    Pidgit has spotted the black blade that Setsuna wears at her hip and gazes at it with undisguised awe, his jaw slack and his eyes wide with wonder. For a moment, he remains on the spot, swaying to and fro slightly like a slender willow wand in the breeze. The next moment, Pidgit has exploded into action, his bony arms darting out and trying to snatch the sword from Setsuna. "Mine! Mine! Gimme!"

    *****

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Rolls:
    Sirus: (1d20+4)[5]
    Brin: (1d20+5)[11]
    Setsuna: (1d20+4)[15]

    Pidgit: (1d20+2)[13]
    Doctor: (1d20+1)[5]


    Initiative Order:
    > 15 - Setsuna
    13 - Pidgit
    11 - Brin
    5 - Sirus
    5 - Doctor Habe


    It is now Setsuna's turn.


    *****

    Taladron and Red and Rico

    A closer examination of the lock reveals it to be exceptionally well-made and Taladron's attempt to pick it with one of the larger needles pilfered from a nearby workbasket go poorly. Before he can start using a basic spell to attempt melting the delicate gears and catches within the door, however, Gortus the orderly stomps down the stairs, forcing the elf to cease his attentions on the door.

    Gortus, still muttering to himself, sweeps past the invisible Taladron and into one of the nearby bedrooms, leaving a faint wafting odour of brimstone in his wake. From the sounds of it, the tiefling is busy rummaging through the contents of the room.

    Less than a minute later, a stormy-faced Gurnak slinks down the stairs, with Red and Rico just a few steps behind. Perhaps to your surprise, the hooved tiefling promptly strides over to the locked door that Taladron was just trying to open and pounds his clenched fist against the door. For a moment, it seems as though Gurnak is trying to break down the door with pure brute force, as he hammers away. The tiefling soon relents, however, and proceeds to rudely bawl down the keyhole. "Sir! Doctor says to come assist him! We have visitors - who want the new patient to get well!"

    "Gurnak!" Gortus hisses as he pops his head out of the bedroom door, his curly pate now covered with a traveling hat. Frowning at Red and Rico, he proceeds to confer and gesticulate urgently with his companion in a harsh and guttural language, quite unaware that the invisible Taladron is literate in the Abyssal tongue.

    For Taladron only
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We must go. Now. Before the old man opens that door."

    "What? And leave Doctor Habe here? But he needs us. He's been kind to us."

    "He's fed us and clothed us. We kept to our employment. And now it is time to go. Do you not know who these lot are? They are the goblin-slayers, adored and feted by the people of Sandpoint. The Doctor and the old man are finished. Do you want to end up clapped in iron again? And sent to the Hells?"

    "Ehh. You don't say? No wonder that orcling frighted me so."

    "I do say, you thick-head. Now come. Quickly! If we are swift, Jubrayl can help us disappear."


    The tieflings seem to be having a brief argument, but Gurnak is swiftly persuaded and he too disappears into his room, presumably to fetch something from within. Meanwhile, Gortus emerges, a bulging satchel slung across his shoulders as he raises his eyebrows at Red and Rico.

    "Confused? I am sure you are. Do not worry. Master Caizarlu is in basement. He will probably show up soon. But if he does not..." Gortus tosses something gleaming at Red, which she manages to snatch out of the air just in time. It is a tarnished steel key with a scintillating green jewel set in the bow.

    "Spare key to the basement. Return it to Doctor for me. My brother and I, we are... how you say... resigning from the job forthwith. Farewell. Ma'am guard. Miss Allin. Remember that we chose to not resist, if you must." Grinning wolfishly at the two of them, Gortus tosses off a mocking dancer's bow before lithely springing for the front door. He is soon followed by Gurnak, who comes puffing out of his room with a sack clutched in his fist, not even bothering to turn around as he goes past.

    If nobody stops the tieflings from leaving, they are soon gone and out of sight.

    Perception DC 15 to hear the sounds of combat from upstairs.

    You have gained a key to open the basement.


    *****

    Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-09 at 10:33 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Hearing the sounds of a fight breaking out upstairs, Taladron realizes that their welcome at the sanatorium may be coming to an end very soon. He decides to try and ask the tieflings for some idea as to what the doctor and this "old man" have been up to here.

    Abyssal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Pardon me a moment, but before you leave could you enlighten me as to what has been going on here that makes you feel the need to high tail it so suddenly? I don't mind that you leave, but even a quick answer would be quite persuasive in convincing me not to bother coming after you." (Should Taladron get some useful information out of them he thanks them and wishes them luck in their future endeavors)


    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20-2)[2] (Worth a shot)
    EDIT: Or maybe not?
    Last edited by bcool999; 2014-01-24 at 01:15 PM.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    HP 28
    AC 21
    (Fighting Defensively)

    Drawing Maethilur on instinct as Pdiget lunges toward her, Setsuna retaliates by sweeping at the excited wererat's legs, intending to knock him over without hurting him too badly. "Stay back! I do not want to hurt you."

    Spoiler
    Show

    K: Local that I forgot to roll (1d20+3)[22] (from dice thread)

    Fighting Defensively, Trip (Provoking an AoO) (1d20+5)[11]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Setsuna and Pidigit


    Spoiler
    Show
    AoO:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]
    Fort Save: (1d20+7)[19]

    Attack: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]
    Fort Save: (1d20+7)[27]


    Unfortunately, Pidigit seems too preoccupied with wresting the blade from Setsuna to do much else than snap at her arms as she tries to knock him off his feet. For a wererat of his age, he is surprisingly nimble and displays no physical weakness despite his stooped posture.

    Somewhere inside Setsuna's head, a voice stirs, almost amused. Well. This is interesting. I was beginning to wonder myself if there were really any other patients in this house.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    15 - Setsuna
    13 - Pidgit
    > 11 - Brin
    5 - Sirus
    5 - Doctor Habe


    It is now Brin's turn.


    *****

    Meanwhile, downstairs... Taladron and Red and Rico

    For his pains at eloquence, all Taladron receives is a rude gesture and a snigger as Gurnak tauntingly pats his own buttock cheek on his way out.

    *****

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[20]


    Pricking up her ears at the obvious sounds of a struggle going on above, Red looks anxiously at Taladron and Rico. "Should we... go back? I think... something is wrong."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-01-24 at 09:18 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin
    21 HP
    18 AC


    Brin eyes the hirsute patient warily, though she has to admit that she's a bit curious what a hippo looks like. She's heard that they're some kind of river horse, of course, but who'd ever heard of an amphibious horse? And pink spots...

    Then Pidgit turned violent. Why am I surprised? She wonders, pushing aside any thoughts of aquatic equines while she stares daggers at the doctor.

    "You knew he'd react like that." She accuses, unshouldering her bow as she backs away from him. "I don't know what you're hiding, but you've been shifty as a drunken doppelganger since we've come here, and now two of your patients have attacked us. Something tells me that the rest are just as violent. Hands where I can see them, and step away from that door." She draws back an arrow to lend weight to the command.

    Spoiler
    Show
    5 ft step north, move action to draw longbow, ready a standard action to shoot the doctor if he reaches for the door, begins casting, or makes an aggressive move.

    (1d20+9)[29] includes +1 for PBS
    (1d8+2)[10] includes +1 for PBS

    Crit confirmation rolls (from dice thread):
    Attack: 16
    bonus dmg: 20
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-01-24 at 11:51 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus, in a rare show of absent-mindness, was lost in thought, scarcely paying attention to what was happening around him. He woke just as the patient went for Setsuna 's sword.

    Brin was right. The doctor was playing them. No time now.

    Sirus launches into the poor ratling, trying not to hurt it. Kicks meet knees, open palm strikes go for the solar nexus and joint locks hit at weak spots, as Sirus tries to crash the ratling down and subdue it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    It is time for the flood of contingencies again. FoB to trip, vicious stomp later on.

    Fob Trip (1d20+16)[31]
    If successful Vicious stomp (1d20+9)[23] Nonlethal (1d28+5)[7]
    and then second FoB attack (1d20+7)[21] Nonlethal (1d28+5)[29]

    If first trip unsuccessful, Fob Trip2 (1d20+16)[22]
    If successful Vicious stomp (1d20+9)[15] Nonlethal (1d28+5)[19]

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Grimacing at the rude demonic duo as they make their way out, Taladron considers Red's question. "Without the orderlies to back him up, I don't believe the doctor would put up that much of a fight. You can go help the others Red and Rico. I am worried that if we are all up there whoever is supposed to be behind this door will have a chance to sneak out in the ruckus. Besides, I wouldn't be all that useful in a close quarters fight where we don't want to seriously hurt who we are fighting."

    That being said, Taladron takes up a position directly in front of the locked door and listens to the fighting upstairs as he watches the door.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move 10 ft farther from the door so I have a comfortable casting range. Then I will wait for the excitement to die down (shouldn't take too long).
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna
    HP 28
    AC 18


    Nimbly ducking out of the way of the wererat's flailing, Setsuna hops back a step as Sirus swoops in and succeeds where she failed in knocking Pidget to the ground. We probably don't need to fight him anymore, surely he isn't suicidal?

    Taking a step toward the downed madman, the tiefling points the tip of her blade at him menacingly with the threat and warning to stay down as clear as her voice is cold when she issues a command to him, "You can not win. Stay down and do not try to attack us again."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Intimidate! Preferably to convince him to give up, but since that technically takes a full minute, to demoralize him. (1d20+7)[16]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    "But... but you would be here. By yourself." Red shakes her head before nudging Rico with her arm and looking at the stairs. Someone had to stay with Taladron. If anything nasty came out of that door that was faster than him, he'd get flattened in no time at all. And if it was Grayst upstairs making a fuss, then Rico would be the best person to flatten him instead because she was bigger.

    "Go help them. I will... stay here."

    *****

    GM post

    Brin readies an action.

    *****

    Sirus

    Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+3)[16] - passed


    Desperation has made Pidgit's movements ungainly and Sirus has no trouble in sweeping the wererat's feet out from under him, before pummeling the air out of his skinny chest.

    Despite gasping for breath on the floor, Pidgit is quick to twist his head up so that he can continue to stare at the gleaming blade hovering just a few inches away from his nose, a deadly determination in his eyes as he continues to ogle the sword.

    *****

    Doctor Habe

    Spoiler
    Show
    Doctor withdraws from combat
    Brin's rolled redirected to serve as an AoO


    Brin has scarcely finished speaking when the Doctor bolts for the door of the stairs, likely intending to follow his orderlies to safety. At this close a distance, Brin can't miss. Her arrow flies true and strikes the Doctor in the back just as he reaches the top of the stairs, causing him to gasp and stagger forward. His arms flailing as he tries to steady himself to no avail, the Doctor gives a loud cry just before he crashes down the stairs in a flurry of maroon robes.

    The Doctor is now dead. But you probably won't find that out until you actually go to look at him.

    *****

    Setsuna uses Intimidate. She still has a move action that she is holding.

    *****

    Pidgit

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shaken and holding action


    Pidgit never once takes his eyes off Maethilur, panting greedily as he continues to stare at the blade from his position on the floor, calculating his chances and his angles. Mad though he be, he is no fool.

    "Lady give Pidgit sword?" He asks hopefully, tensing his lean muscles for action.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    15 - Setsuna
    13 - Pidgit
    > 11 - Brin
    5 - Sirus
    5 - Doctor Habe


    It is now Brin's turn.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-01-27 at 09:46 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •