Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

Sirus

Sirus appears umoved.

"I am not. Going. To debate. Theology. Or ethics. With you. If you. Created these. Undead. And if you. Are responsible. For the diseased man. Upstairs. Then. I. Do not. Care. To hear. If you. Consider these. Your flock. Your children. Or your family.

They are. Abominations. Chained spirits. To a dying. Flesh. And they. Will be. Destroyed."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"ILLEGAL?!"
    Shouts Brin, no longer able to contain herself any longer in the face of the fast-talking Caizarlu's sophistic drivel. "Look in your book, Rico, and tell me if it is legal here to molest a corpse, to rob a grave, to hold a body in slavery regardless of its state of decay. Tell me if the mere act of dying a pauper means that a man's remains become the property of the first nutter with a spell book to stumble by."

She shakes her head, glaring eyes never wavering from Caizarlu's face (well, one of them. Can't really tell which is the real face). "You might, MIGHT, walk out of here if we like your answers, but you'll do it alone. Your research will be burned. The dead will be placed in a proper grave. Will you be joining them?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Burn my research? Such haste does not befit you, madam. What if my research is what you need? But if that is your condition, then who am I to argue? A closed mind will open no doors. And since yours are already shut to reason..."

The old man shrugs again and pointedly turns his back on Sirus and Brin to face Rico and Taladron. "You heard the good madam... constable, is it? And Master Taladron. I will take no paperwork with me, since it is to be all burnt on the altar of piddling ignorance. In fact, I shall burn them myself, as a gesture of goodwill. You may also search my person and my humble workroom if you will. I carry nothing on me but my purse and my clothes. But I will not leave here without my servants." At this point, Caizarlu shoots a glare over his shoulder at the two of you who have protested most vehemently thus far.

"I am an old man. My servants care for me and aid me in my infirmities. I confine myself to honing my craft. Do you honestly think that I would be hiding in the basement of a madhouse with that twit of a doctor and his two thugs if I had designs on murder and mayhem? Not all of my kind seek to raise armies to blacken day into night and to fill the air with screams, you know. No. I paid Doctor Habe to let me stay here, where I could rest from prying eyes and closed minds, to do my research in peace. Rest assured that if I leave, you will not hear from me again. Nor my servants. Clearly they have no capacity for field research."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-04 at 08:02 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Taladron turns to his companions to let them know his thoughts on the matter.

"As a scholar, I don't feel right about burning any research no matter the topic. Also, while I respect your devotion to Pharasma, Brin and Sirus, I feel that we need to look at the whole picture here. I don't believe that Caizarlu is the one who committed the murders, but I do believe that since there are undead involved that it might be best to enlist the help of someone who would be quite knowledgeable on the subject. Also as to whether or not to take what he knows by force, I will fight when I have to but I feel that violence is not needed here since he stopped the fighting to talk with us, so if you want to keep on fighting do it without me."

At that, Taladron snaps his fingers and Red shrinks back to normal size, and Taladron finds a nearby chair to sit in. Once he sits down he adds with a grimace, "I am not like Nualia where I force others to talk through violence."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Torn between not particularly wanting to fight Caizarlu but also knowing the Pharasman opinion of how necromancers should be handled and that two of her comrades were of the Lady of Graves' faithful, Setsuna takes a moment to figure out just what to do. As Taladron states that he won't be joining in if their friends decide to fight, mentioning Nualia as well, the tiefling resolves to end this peacefully as well.

Sheathing Maethilur, Setsuna adds her voice to the wizard's, "He is right, there is no need to fight. We know it was an undead that killed them, but it was not a zombie like these or we would recognize the smell. Would it not make sense to ask a necromancer about the one we are hunting rather than arrest him? If his servants have hurt no one, there is no reason to destroy them either."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy doesn't work against the PCs! Sorry Bhaakon and Grog for siding with bcool on this one, Setsuna just doesn't see him as really guilty of anything except maybe being a little unpleasant.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

Brin's jaw drops in disbelief as Taladron and the tiefling take the necromancer's side. Let the man walk? What are they thinking? He has zombies right there. I can't believe this...it must be a ploy. Yes, that's the only way it makes sense. Get the information, then turn on him anyway. Better than beating it out of him later. Torture is unreliable, unpleasant, and Rico seemed like the type to get a stick up her rear when it came to mistreating a prisoner. Or the wretch could end up dead, like Habe.

"Speak what you know, then, and we'll see if your information is worth free passage." She says to Caizarlu, unconsciously clinching and relaxing the fingers of her left hand. "For your sake, I hope it's good."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, there's no way she's letting him walk out of here.

Bluff: (1d20+1)[13]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Unable to disguise her relief at being returned to her usual size, Red sighs quietly to herself, massaging the bruises under her armour. If this whole thing could be resolved without more fighting, that would be good. Getting beat up all the time was no fun. Still, it was odd to have so many undead close by and not be fighting them. She ought to keep her kukris out, just in case.

Wiping shreds of grey flesh off her blades by scraping them against the edge of the table, Red then joins Rico on the other side of the room, flashing her friend a quick grin. It was good to be small again.

GM post

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[6] vs Brin's Bluff - failed

Caizarlu flexes his thin hands in satisfaction, cracking his finger joints. He's pleased enough with the assurances of most of you, even if Sirus and Brin continue to glower at him the whole time.

"Very well. My knowledge for the safe passage of myself and my remaining servants. First of all - to the point. My innocence. The man upstairs - the patient who arrived yesterday? Most puzzling symptoms, really. He is mad - oh yes, he is. But he is also in a fever that will not break and his body rots though he still draws breath. Did you have a chance to see him? Examine that wound on his chest which will simple healing magic will not stauch?"

The smile on Caizarlu's face is wan with the pleasure of expounding on his craft. "It is tooth-marks that he bears. He was bitten by something undead, yes- but not by a zombie. Have you ever heard of a zombie leaving a helpless victim alone after a single bite? No. Zombies do not that have that capacity of self-regulation and thought. That is why they make such apt servants and why their hunger is ever so ravenous. Which leaves us with only one other option," he says slyly, holding up a finger.

"A ghoul. He was bitten by a ghoul. His illness then, is the ghoul fever. The ones who delivered him here thought it was shock or infection, or perhaps even his insanity. But no. It is definitely ghoul fever, and being thus weakened already, he will die of it within this day or the next unless a masterful healer plies him with the right spell."

Caizarlu is supremely confident, almost haughty, as he looks Brin straight in the eye. "The Doctor told me that the patient's madness was caused by his witness of a brutal murder. Do I guess aright that at the scene of the crime, there was a most almighty stink of decaying flesh? And that perhaps, just perhaps, the body of the one murdered was marked as though clawed by some large beast? Have a look at the hands and feet of my servants. Their nails are blunt. Zombies do not claw, though they might punch and bite. They are simple folk and they are slow. Their flesh is preserved by the same magic that moves them. But ghouls - ah. Ghouls are speedy. Their bodies reek, for they continue to moulder, though far slower than is normal. Ghouls are predators. They hunt and give chase and they rend their prey most cruelly when they have caught him. I dare you, madam, to tell me that any one of my servants, meek lambs that they are, are the ones responsible."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-06 at 07:57 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

"You seem. To believe. That the question is. Whether you. Or your servants. Have committed. The murder.

It is not. I believe. You. That. You did. Not.

However. Just. The creation. Of any. Undead. Is vile. And blasphemy.

Your. Information. Is valuable. Yes. But is it. Valuable. Enough?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is, I am afraid that Sirus will jump in if Brin attacks. This IS blasphemy of the worst sort, after all. He is a bit lost now spiritually, and if a cleric of Pharasma shows the way, he will follow.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

"A ghast would make sense, but then why would it be leaving notes for us to find? It would want to stay hidden as best it could, would it not?"

Trying to figure out what Sirus could have done to get a ghast's attention is enough to silence the tiefling for a moment, long enough for the monk to give his speech to Caizarlu. Realizing that the situation might deteriorate if left as it is, Setsuna does her best to defuse the issue, "Sirus-san, these zombies might be vile, but so long as he is not hurting any one, it is not our place to judge him. The Mother of Souls may disapprove, but she will judge his soul when it is his time. I do not think it is for us to decide when that time will be, so long as he harms no one."

It isn't like it was with her...he may create dangerous things, but if they aren't hurting anyone then he hasn't done anything wrong. It's not as if he's done anything worse than I.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Knowledge (religion) DC 15

Spoiler
    Show
    Ghouls are intelligent and cannibalistic undead who feed on corpses and living flesh alike, paralysing live prey with toxins in their claws before devouring it. They tend to lurk close to civilisation so as to have better access to their food sources.

Elves are notably immune to a ghoul's paralysis. However, there are rumours of particularly strong ghoul pack leaders known as ghasts whose ichor is so foul that not even an elf's natural immunities can overcome it. Ghasts are supposedly able to be identified by their especially noxious stench.

"Oh, I don't know, Pharasmin. How much is the life of a madman worth to you?" retorts Caizarlu, quite at ease despite the threat of violence. "I could have kept quiet and let him succumb. The chance to observe a living man in every stage of ghoul fever is a rare one indeed. But maybe you prefer to let him die instead, to rise tomorrow as a bloodthirsty thrall of the one who bit him? His madness cannot be cured, of course, but your speedy action might just preserve what remains of his life. Strange. And I here I was thinking that Pharasmins valued every life, no matter how lowly. Perhaps I stand corrected."

"Oh, and I might mention this, Pharasmin. Ghouls are not like zombies. They roam in packs, obedient to the strongest among them. There is no such thing as an isolated ghoul sighting. One ghoul is always the herald of more to come, and their pack grows larger with every fallen victim. If you wish to even have a chance of eradicating the pack, you must possess the skill of tracing their lineage to their leader, which itself requires records of each and every sighting or attack in the vicinity. I am pleased to inform you and madam angry elf that there fortunately does exist such a skill, along with the required records and that there is even a map. Alas, they all exist only in here. I am not stupid, Pharasmin."

Still smiling, Caizarlu taps the side of his skull knowingly. "Constable. Taladron. Ma'am devil-eyes. In consideration of the consideration you have shown me, I will draw you this map. I will even explain it to you. But I will not do so unless those who have threatened violence on me withdraw to where they cannot strike at me. I do not trust sir Pharasmin here not to hack off my head once I have divulged its contents to you. I will likewise order my zombies out of the building to where they will pose no threat. Deal?"
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-06 at 08:01 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus once again remains impassive. His fists clench for a moment. And then he relaxes.

So be it. Pharasma forgive me, but these controlled zombies are better than the unknown, predatory ghoul. If I am making the wrong choice, forgive me.

"You have. My word. That I will. Not. Harm you. Or. Your zombies. If you. Provide. The information. You just described."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

Brin shoots Sirus a look that could peel paint off a barn, unable to believe that he'd extend a pledge of nonviolence to include Caizarlu's zombies. The man himself might be allowed to leave unmolested, but to be confronted by undeath and not act to end it was not something Brin could do, even if it meant she'd be fighting alone.

Still, the man was talking, and she didn't want him to stop now. The best thing to do is tell him what he wanted to hear. And it was even the truth, as far as it went. "Ghouls are nasty enough business that certain crimes may be overlooked in the name of expedience. I'll not hack off your head, provided you share its contents."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Caizarlu merely sniffs disdainfully and glares at Brin. He is as good as his word though - once Sirus and Brin have been shunted upstairs, he mutters something to his remaining zombies, who immediately pick themselves up with slow tottering movements and lurch out the front door of the sanatorium.

It is also about this time that the various illusory versions of Caizarlu fade out with the ending of that spell, though the tiny gleams of arcane energy surrounding his person do not. Grunting as he shuffles towards one of the tables in the workroom with the careful poise of someone doing their best not to jolt their aching joints, he eases himself onto a stool and draws a crumpled sheet of paper out of a small leather pouch at his waist.

The paper turns out to be a coffee-flecked map of the region surrounding Sandpoint, obviously ripped out of some book a while ago. Caizarlu coughs hoarsely as he smooths it down against the table. "Attend to me now. This is your town, where I sent Lucian to watch in case a ghoul emerged from the river at night. This is the sanatorium." The tip of his forefinger suddenly glows with a weak white light, as though some invisible firefly had thought to rest on it, such that wheresoever the old man points on the map, his finger leaves glowing after-images that linger on the torn page.

Detect Magic and Spellcraft DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    You realise that impressive as this looks, this is likely to be a simple Prestidigitation spell - the after-images will almost certainly fade after an hour. Still, it is a rather useful scholarly trick for highlighting study material.

"It is difficult for me to leave this place, as you can see. But the Doctor's servants are always in and out to run errands or to go about their business. They do so love to update the Doctor on what is going on. So I learn, by paying attention, a little more about the world around me. And when there's suddenly too many tall tales about graves that've been ransacked, an oversized bat with green eyes like flame, and mysterious sightings of foul-smelling strangers with pale skin and sharp teeth... The Doctor thinks of these as mere ghost stories told by drunk farmers. But I, on the other hand... I know what these really are."

Caizarlu's finger draws a broad stroke down the map, tracing the winding path of a waterway with the incongruous name of 'Soggy River' all the way from its ending in the marshes up to a patch of forest labelled 'Whisperwood'. "For the past two weeks, there have been sightings of a skaveling and of roaming ghouls all along this river but none on the main road. My servants saw the skaveling hunting goblins in the marshes, but the ghouls were all seen closer to the Whisperwood forest. Particularly about the farmsteads. You might wish to inspect the farmers soon, constable, lest the ghouls decide to eat them instead of just wandering about. If they haven't already. Now, if we go by the dates of the sightings, in reverse..."

Caizarlu presses his finger lightly against the map at intervals around the Soggy River, the Brinestump Marsh, and the farms that dot the Whisperwood Moor. The pattern is clear - the earliest sightings were all around the Whisperwood itself. "I do not know if the skaveling infected all those ghouls. I would doubt it, since it seems content to feed on goblins. But I am sure that if you are to find the leader of this pack, you would have to start from the forest. The fact that no one has been reported murdered in the past weeks save for the attack that brought the new patient here and the most recent one in your town would suggest that either the ghouls have been most cunning about their work or that the ghouls have come a great way. Perhaps from here? It is the only abandoned burial ground in these parts."

Those who bend to look closer find that Caizarlu now indicates a place labelled as 'Pauper's Grave', less than 2 miles east of Sandpoint. Meanwhile, the old man peers at each of you, the glow fading from his finger. "I have told what I know. Now. I am going to ask one of my servants to return and he will assist me in walking out the door. And I do not expect to be followed. Are we most clear on this?"

Knowledge (religion) DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skavelings, also known as ghoul bats, are massive undead able to infect those they bite with the sickness known as ghoul fever. Their existence most often comes about when some necromancer or the other raises a deceased dire bat or mobat. Due to their prodigious size, it is not unheard of for certain daemonic beings to use them as flying mounts and guardians.

Brin and Sirus

Perception DC 14 to hear everything being said below without moving down the stairs.

Caizarlu's voice is muffled by the distance but if you strain your ears, it is possible to pick up words here and there. Next to you, the Doctor's eyes stare lifelessly ahead, his skin already fading to a waxen pallor as his body cools.

Should you choose to look around you, you note that there are six doors on this floor. Given the sliding panels on the doors, they are likely to be patient cells, though as to whether they are occupied is impossible to tell for now.

You have gained a map. Sirus and Brin are currently upstairs next to the Doctor's body, but they can reach downstairs in a single move action. Everyone else is downstairs. The zombies are outside the house.

ANOTHER MAP
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-08 at 10:35 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Taladron rubs worriedly at his chin as Caizarlu describes the situation in the Whisperwood. Given the distance from Sandpoint it is likely that the ghouls could have amassed quite a number of compatriots. Hearing about the Skaveling is also worrisome. Looks as though the way to stop the murders will be paved in the black blood of undead. Taladron thinks bleakly to himself as Caizarlu makes ready to leave.

"I can help you to the door if you wish." offers Taladron as Caizarlu makes to call his servant. "It may be best not to tempt the pair upstairs by bringing an undead back in the building." That said he holds out his arm for the old man to hold onto for the walk to the door.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2014-02-08 at 11:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

Brin's elven ears are good for something beyond standing out (literally and figuratively), as she picks up the thrust of Caizarlu's explanation from upstairs.

She turns to Sirus, letting out a low whistle. "A pack of ghouls and a skraveling, whatever that is. Some other sort of ghoul? I'm unsure. Whatever the case, it's not good. Worse than this man and his zombies, I think..."

Her face screws up, a reflection of her mental division. "But he parades those abominations about in front of me. I don't think I should let him go. Can let him go."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

"Consider. This.

If we. Destroy. His abominations. And then. Let him. Go. As was. Promised. Then. He will. Make. New ones. In his. next. Stop. Thus. We will have. Been. The cause. Of the. New. Creations.

But. If we. Let him. Go. Then. The abominations. Will be. Tamed. and. Under control.

There are. Bigger things. Afoot. After this. We should. Talk. There have. Been. Things. You should. Know. I do not. Think. You are. Here. By chance."

Sirus lowers his head in remembrance.

"Now. Should we. Check. The cells? And there. Is. One more. Man. Ready. To become. Undead."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

'Ma'am devil-eyes' bows her head to the necromancer as he reveals everything he knows about the situation, "Thank you for your help, Master Caizarlu. I hope you will forgive us for forcing you to leave, but given the circumstances I do not think we could have reached a better agreement."

Turning to Rico and then the others she continues, "We have already come this far, the Whisperwood is not far, I think we should look for clues around there first before we check out this 'Pauper's Grave' do you agree?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft (1d20+7)[12]
    Religion (1d20+4)[18]

Diplomacy to try and get Caizarlu to leave on a good note, not hating us in the future (1d20+9)[26]

(Realized I had more to say than I thought I would, I'll go fetch Brin and Sirus next post probably, if no one else does)
    Last edited by Desril; 2014-02-09 at 03:12 AM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Downstairs Folk

"Hah! Perhaps this is when I slip in a word about meddling youngsters spoiling a good thing, eh? But no. I will be content with what I have. Still, I will accept your assistance, Taladron." The necromancer's joints creak as he regains his footing, a grim smile on his face. Hesitating a moment before clamping onto Taladron's arm with his bony arms, Caizarlu slowly hobbles over to the front door.

The zombies have wandered down the steps in the meanwhile and are milling aimlessly about in the sanatorium's vegetable garden. A sharp command from Caizarlu has them tramping out from among the cabbages, whereupon the largest of the four zombies immediately kneels at Caizarlu's feet in a practiced motion, while another forms a stirrup with its hands for him to use as a step to clamber onto the back of the largest. Now seated quite comfortably on the back of the largest zombie, Caizarlu spares a thin smirk at Taladron.

"A final word then, to requite your kindness to an old man. It goes in the old Varisian lore that full-blooded elves are immune to the fell caresses of ghouls. This rumour is quite true. But it does not hold true for their pack-leaders, the ghasts. A ghast merely has to brush its littlest finger against you for you to seize up and freeze like any other. And the only way to identify a ghast is by its most potent stench. Are we quite clear on that? You might wish to inform your kinswoman, lest she try blasting the head off a ghoul with her waning goddess's power, only to discover when it is too late that she cannot escape its clutches. A-hup! "

With that morbid last word, the zombies lumber to their feet and if unimpeded, trundle down the dirt path leading away from the sanatorium at a funereal pace, Caizarlu riding on the back of the largest like a spindly king out for an afternoon ride.

Red

Red narrows her eyes from where she watches Taladron and Caizarlu at the door. Only when the necromancer and his zombies set off on their way does she lower her blades and sheath them again. What an odd old man. He was most definitely Varisian, if his accent was anything to go by. But what had he been doing in the sanatorium in the first place? It was all too nice to be true. Maybe there was a trap somewhere.

Wincing as the bruises brush against her new armour, Red slowly ambles back to the others, one hand hugging her ribs. Her old leather had been so much more comfortable, but it'd been quite unsalvageable after Thistletop, with far too many rents to sew back up. At Rico's insistence, she'd finally splurged on some Tien-style mail wrought of mithral, and she supposed that if she hadn't worn it, the zombies would have probably punched through to her guts. All the same, it felt weird to be wearing something so expensive. The number of hot meals and showers that she could have paid for with that gold... perhaps even a little house somewhere, with lots of cats and a warm fire...

"We should... report back. To the Sheriff." Red replies in response to Setsuna, glancing at the open door to the basement. "Mister Grayst... he will need... healing. And there are others... we cannot leave them. Or the Doctor's body. He left... very quickly. This place may not be safe yet."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-09 at 12:27 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"You're right, Sirus. There's no solution but to kill him, and doing so would break both of our promises."
    Brin huffs her frustration. "It just rankles me, letting an admitted necromancer walk away. In the future, I wouldn't not offer such a creature anything more than an arrow in the gut."

"But there's more to do here. If Habe and Caizarlu were hiding a man with ghoul fever, who knows what else they have here? We should check on the patients, and give this place a thorough accounting." With that she begins poking around the upstairs of the sanitarium. She's not foolish enough to loose any of the 'guests,' but she'll look through any windows in their cells, as well as search for anything else of interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to search: (1d20+9)[22]

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Brin's Perception check/ Anyone who does Perception DC 15 for searching level 2 and 3 of the sanatorium

Spoiler
    Show
    A quick survey of the cells on the second floor reveals only two of them to be currently occupied.

In the north-western cell, a bony matron, shrivelled with age and her hair tethered in a messy bun, snores soundly on a pallet in a corner, twitching her bare feet as you peer through the sliding panel. Given her age, she would appear quite harmless, save for the thick manacles that chains her securely to her bed post. Over in the south-western cell, those who look through the sliding panel must quickly jump back as its hulking occupant immediately spins and lunges for the space with a wolfish snarl, hurling his body against the door with sufficient force to cause the whole frame to shudder. Fortunately for you, the other cells on the second and third floor are unlocked and unoccupied, with only neatly folded sheets on mattresses within.

One of the rooms on the top floor, just opposite Grayst's cell, appears to be some sort of doctor's examination room. It is certainly rather well-stocked for such a sparsely populated sanatorium, with a large padded operating table in the centre, several half-empty bottles of tincture and tonics, and a cabinet along the north wall that is filled with all manner of obscure surgical tools.

Heal DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    The supplies and tools here are altogether far too well-used and unnecessarily invasive for what should be a sanatorium. Several of the tools and chemicals would appear to be dissecting implements of the sort used in a mortuary rather than a hospital.

Over on a small table by the cabinet, you discover a most curious contraption. What seems to be a modified brass seeing glass with double lens has been securely attached to a stand, with the objective end of the tube aimed at a tiny glass panel that seems to contain some sort of soot-coloured flake. For those of you of a more academic bent, you might perhaps recognise the contraption as a primitive compound microscope - someone has been conducting experiements up here.

Heal DC 18 (Do not use the same roll for this check)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flake in the glass is somewhat decayed, but you recognise it right away as necrotic human skin, likely harvested recently from a dead man. Or perhaps from someone with gangrene - like Grayst, perhaps?

Those of you who search the Doctor's body and do the appropriate checks find the following items:
    • 2 potions of CLW
    • +1 padded armour
    • Masterwork Dagger
    • Masterwork Manacles

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

"The orderlies left to go fetch Father Zantus to see to Grayst, did they not? I am sure he can tend to the others here. Though I suppose we should inform the sheriff, given that a man was killed here..."

Looking around and glancing down to the open basement door as well, Setsuna moves closer to it, "You are right though, there may still be some thing here. I will go look." Only a little paranoid about there being more undead below Setsuna starts down the stairs quietly, looking around for anything useful or deadly while trying not to make too much noise.

Spoiler
    Show

In case there's anything hiding down in the darkness, send devil-eyes and her darkvision!

Assuming no one stops her, Setsuna makes her way downstairs.
    Perception (1d20+1)[10]
    Stealth (1d20+5)[12] (It never hurts, right?)

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

"No... they will not... come back. They ran. I think they did not want... trouble. Jail. Or questions..." Red shakes her head wearily, closing her fist and rubbing her fingers against the branding scar there. It was hardly fair to blame them though - she would have done the same if it were her employer being investigated for something bad. And while it was hard enough to get by when you were short and stupid, it was probably even worse to be a smelly tiefling without the charm or manners to fit in.

Sliding out one of her kukris, Red nods at Setsuna. "I will go... with you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[22]
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[24]

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

After helping Brin search the premises, the doctor and the cells, Sirus moves back with the others.

"The place. Is empty. Now. The doctor. Was not. What he. Seemed.

So. The patients. Must be. taken care. Of. We must. Go back. Report. Arrange care.

And then. Continue. Tomorrow."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"Yes, arrange care."
    Brin mutters, shaking her head. Foist this lot on the sheriff, you mean. Couldn't happen soon enough for me.

"If Grayst and the furry man upstairs are any indication, Habe was probably collecting the most dangerous cases he could find. I don't envy whoever takes them."

She follows Sirus to rejoin the others, heading down to help search the basement if Setsuna's makes it down without being attacked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basement search: (1d20+9)[25]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

The stairs leading to the basement are constructed entirely out of ageing wood and the treads creak threateningly despite Setsuna and Taladron's attempts to creep down without alerting potential attackers. Somewhere behind them, Red winces at the noise before following them much more silently, sticking to the side and flattening herself as best as she can against the wall to keep the plank from sagging due to her weight.

The basement, if it could be called that, has been hewn mainly out of rock from the nearby cliff and is currently lit up by a pair of sunrods shoved into iron brackets on the craggy walls. Someone has taken the trouble to tile the floor with ceramic and to build hand rails along the east and west walls. Tools ranging from shovels to dissection implements are neatly arranged in cabinets by the north wall, while the south wall, by contrast, contains a massive bookshelf absolutely crammed with various books and scrolls. If not for the four tell-tale tables bolted to the floor in the centre of the room and acrid smell of embalming fluid in the air, the place might almost be passable as a wizard's laboratory.

Brin soon arrives to join those of you in the basement. A quick examination of the adjoining room to this one reveals it to be a quite empty bedroom with spartan furnishings. Caizarlu, it would seem, kept few if any personal belongings of note, and he has left no dead bodies behind to serve as evidence that he was here.

As Taladron browses through the shelves to see what they contain, Brin spots and fishes out a slim volume with a worn vellum cover and a stringy yellow ribbon that has seen better days crammed in between two fat encyclopedias on vampirism. Any scholar would be able to recognise this book for what it is - it would seem that in his haste to depart, Caizarlu has left behind his spellbook.

Meanwhile, Red kicks idly at one of the canvas sheets on the ground before spying a faint discolouration in one of the table legs. Kneeling and running her fingers along the leg reveals a hidden catch just under the skirt, which springs open, allowing a battered-looking wand of pale white to tumble out and clatter to the floor.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-10 at 10:50 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Taladron is so engrossed of his search of the bookshelves, Caizarlu has accumulated quite the collection... I wonder how many trips it will take to get these to my house..., that he almost fails to notice the spellbook Brin picks out. "Ahh, that must be Caizarlus spellbook. Strange that he would leave it here though I suppose we were rather pushy in getting rid of him."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If Brin will let him Taladron will take the spellbook. Otherwise, he will look at her curiously then get distracted by the sudden appearance of a magic wand. He will cast Mage Hand to bring it to him and then detect magic (Spellcraft rolled OOC) to identify it.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"Strange indeed, no matter how hard we pushed." Brin replies to Taladron, carefully handing him the book without opening it. "Could be a warded fake, or just a spare. Either way, it's of no use to me. You'll put it to better use than the original owner, I'm quite sure."

She adds. "If we just sold the thing, and someone went to work creating more abominations with it..." she pauses, shaking her head in disgust. "Then I'd feel obliged to make sure that it didn't end well for them."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled OOC:
    Taladron: (1d20+16)[35]
    Setsuna: (1d20+7)[16] - use as Aid Another, +2

The spellbook, perhaps to Brin's disappointment, is not a booby trap. Taladron is able to decipher Caizarlu's neat ink-strokes quite easily, with Setsuna doing her best to follow along over his shoulder.

Caizarlu's Spellbook contains the following:
    • Chill Touch
    • Mage Armour
    • Magic Missile
    • Obscuring Mist
    • Ray of Enfeeblement
    • Acid Arrow
    • Blindness
    • Command Undead
    • Mirror Image
    • Displacement
    • Stinking Cloud
    • Vampiric Touch
    • Cause Fear
    • False Life
    • Gentle Repose
    • Ghoul Touch
    • Halt Undead
    • Identify

The wand contains the Gentle Repose spell and has 17 charges left.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Feeling a little less tense now, Setsuna lets down her guard while she and Taladron flip through the abandoned spellbook. A quick glance around the room, after checking out the newly discovered wand, shows that there isn't much left to see here. "I do not think he left any thing else behind. Since the orderlies fled we should probably go get the Father Zantus, and Sheriff Hemlock so that they can take care of the ones who were abandoned."

Should no one try to stop her, the tiefling makes her way back upstairs and toward Pidgit's cell, There aren't any spare swords here, I should let him know it will be a while longer.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna

Pidgit has grown restless in your absence. As you approach his cell door once more, he eagerly surges to the door and pokes his snout out, snuffling the air in excitement for the expected sword.

He takes your apology that a sword is currently unavailable unexpectedly well, simply nodding mournfully as his thin whiskers droop. (Maybe this has to do with the fact that he can't actually see Maethilur due to the angle of the sliding panel.) When asked why he wanted a sword at all in the first place, Pidgit sniffs loudly and sighs. "Pidgit once had many swords. But Doctor took all when Pidgit come here. So Pidgit haven't shave in many year. Not handsome. Sword to have hair cut, yes?"

Moving on with the story...

Sirus, as the most fleet of your number, volunteers to run back to Sandpoint to report your findings to the Sheriff and fetch help for the sanatorium inhabitants while the rest of you remain to guard the place.

In his absence, hunger and the realisation that luncheon time was a few good hours ago drives Taladron to comb the sanatorium thoroughly in the hope of finding something to eat. Those of you who join in discover a small kitchen in one of the downstairs rooms with a mostly empty pot of cold vegetable soup on the stove and half a loaf of bread, the air heavy with the scent of tomato. Judging from the mess still in the washing basins and the onion peelings on the table, the orderlies probably didn't have time to do the washing up before your arrival. It is poor pickings for lunch, but those willing to raid the vegetable garden out front do find that the cabbages could probably be harvested.

Fortunately, the remaining inmates of the sanatorium remain tractable for as long as none of you attempt to approach the doors. If you elect to check in on Grayst, still bound with Brin's rope on the bed like an oversized grub, his swoon seems to have subsided into a feverish muttering as he tosses and turns on the bed. At the least, he shows no further signs of deterioration, save for his nose slowly bruising a rich shade of purple.

It takes slightly over an hour and a half for Sirus to return with help. A muted churning of carriage wheels on dirt path outside heralds the arrival of Sergeant Hannah, Gareth, and a small detachment of watchmen driving the donkey paddy wagon usually used for transporting prisoners to Magnimar.

Perhaps to the surprise of those waiting, it is not Father Zantus who steps out of the wagon with Sirus, but Hannah Velerin, the chain-smoking dreamy healer who services Sandpoint's more minor ailments. At first, the choice strikes you as incongruous, but upon further consideration, it makes sense given what you have learnt about ghouls - should Grayst have died and turned while Sirus was away, Hannah's elven blood would have kept her safe from being paralysed.

Hannah is lucid enough, despite being obviously hopped up on some drug or the other. (Those of you who know why she self-medicates herself so can hardly blame her.) Floating into Grayst's cell, she goes straight to his side and gently cradles his forehead and cheek, pressing her thumbs to the corners of his eyes and his lips. "Cold. Sweating. Pulse going like a chariot stallion. Hff." She leans in closer and takes a deep breath, wrinkling her forehead. "And definitely gangrenous. Oh you poor, poor man..."

Hannah continues to tend to the limp Grayst, gazing up as those of you in the room, her jade green eyes gleaming with emotion. "It is bad. I spoke with Brother Zantus before I left and he feared as much - neither of us have the skill and power to restore this man. You would have to contact a high priest or chirurgeon in Magnimar... or perhaps Voon might have a scroll with the correct spell - but who knows, and even if he did, it would be expensive... But this man is running out of time..." The cleric of Gozreh bites her lip, her voice choked as she strokes Grayst's matted hair.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ghoul fever needs Greater Restoration or Heal to be cured at this stage. That's a level 7 Cleric spell, which clerics only get access to at level 13. Hannah is level 3 and Zantus is level 5. You could buy Hannah a scroll to use, but would you?

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show