Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

Setsuna

"A hair cut? I could not find a sword, but I might be able to get you a razor or a knife soon. You will have your haircut today."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since there's an hour and a half from here until Sirus returns, Setsuna will have spent the meantime searching for a razor or smaller, safer knife to give him, after finding a snack.

Listening to Hannah's report on Grayst' health, Setsuna looks uneasy. "It might be better to take him to Magnimar, but if he is as bad as you say then he might not survive the journey. We can not just let this man die though, if we can buy something which may cure him I have no choice, I will go to Voon-san and see if I can find anything that may help."

There was a great deal of treasure in Thistletop, I can at least make sure that someone is saved because of that place. Thinking about the peaceful look on Cipriano's face when he died, and the feeling she'd had as Nualia's second life came to an end that gave her a sense of some part of the fallen aasimar being saved, her thought continues In this life, anyway.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus comes back as fast as possible, bringing dinner with him. The exercise has obviously woken his hunger and got his blood running. It was good to push his body now and then. On the way back, he appraised the guards on their findings.

When he hears Desril, he again stands silent for a moment.

"This is. An admirable. Sentiment. But it. Is. Misguided.

We cannot. Save. Everyone. Every man. We save. Someone. Else. Gets. Into danger. The creature. Responsible. For this deed. Is still. Out there. And probably. Making more. Ghouls.

Are we. To try. And cure them. All? And what happens. If one. Of us. Gets infected. And we do not. Have the . Means. To save him? Who will. Stop. The menace? What will. We say. To the people. Of Sandpoint. When they. Are overrun. By ghouls?

No. There are. A million. Injustices. And evils. In this world. We cannot. Blow. Everything. On curing. One.

This man. Could as well. Have died. In the attack. We must. Find. The one. Responsible. For all these. And stop him. Before. It is. Too late.

Is this. Noy. Why. We left. The other one. Go?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Listening to Sirus words, the tiefling can't help but disagree. "That might be a problem, but I can not just let a man die because we might need to help ourselves later. No amount of gold is worth more than someone's life, I can not just let this man die when there is something I can do to stop it. I already know I can not save everyone," she pauses, thinking about the trail of bodies they'd left behind, both friend and foe, "but that does not mean I will stop trying."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"This man was a petty crook at the least, and maybe worse. He associated with the murderer of his own will, the note we found proves that. Maybe that's not enough to deserve this fate, but his hand aren't clean in this."

The elven woman shakes her head sadly. "Sirus is right, with an entire pack of ghouls on the loose, there will be more who need saving. Perhaps those who are innocent, maybe children, maybe even us. Will you spent so lavishly on all of them? And when you run out of gold?"

She draws a knife from her belt. "The short blade is favored by my mistress for a reason. In cases like this, the swiftest end is also the kindest. I can do it quickly. He won't suffer any longer, and he won't be able to infect anyone."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

At first, Red's hand reflexively twitches, reaching for her wallet. She had enough gold left over from buying the armour, and if the rest would go towards saving a man's life, then why not? But once Sirus and the odd priestess speak, Red lowers her head, almost ashamed, staring at her fists as she flexes her fingers one by one.

That was true. They couldn't save everyone. What if somebody more important needed saving? They'd need money then. But how would they know who that somebody more important was? It wasn't as though they'd know until after they'd saved that person. But Grayst was a crazy man. Did that matter? Was he worth less because he was mad and had been a bad person?

But she was here. She was still alive.

Red raises trembling fingers to her face, closing her eyes. Why had she lived? Why had she come back? Her life, so useless, a mere speck of dirt- just a stupid little girl, a failed thief, with hair like it'd been set on fire-

Gritting her teeth, Red moves to stand next to Setsuna, her voice low, her dark eyes filled with pain. "...Mister Fox. He paid everything... for me. I cannot... do anything less. I can... help pay."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-13 at 08:14 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

With Red moving to back her up, the naive young girl from Minkai holds her ground against Brin's well-reasoned arguments, "If I run out of gold then I will find some other way to pay for what we need." Wracking her brain to come up with something, she hits upon an idea that in other circumstances wouldn't have crossed her mind, but in this case, "At the very least, Sandpoint owes me one favor for helping to save them from Nualia, if I can not save someone because I lack funds, I will call in that favor!"

Looking at the priestess' knife, Setsuna shakes her head, "Maybe his life will be painful, but he can recover and find happiness here too. We should not take that chance from him because it would be easier on us to simply kill him. Just because he is a criminal does not mean his life is any less valuable. He is dangerous, but not of his own choosing. His condition was forced on him, if we can cure him then he will no longer be a danger to anyone, and until then we can just keep him locked up safely."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Listening to Setsuna's passionate speech Taldron sighs a little to himself. She is still as naive as ever I see.

"Setsuna, If your wish is to see Grayst locked up for the rest of his life we could lock him in this room and wait a day or two, I doubt he has much longer. As for him finding happiness, I guess it depends on what delusions his broken little mind comes up with. You see, Ghoul fever does not have madness as a symptom, bodily decay and weakness yes, but not madness. So even were we to cure him he would spend the rest of his days trapped in the trauma that first brought him to this sanatorium. If you would wish that upon him then I will not stop you, but Pharasmas judgement may be kinder."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to give Desril/Setsuna a chance to reflect on whatever the detect thoughts that was cast earlier revealed and let Setsunas decision after that be Taladrons vote as well.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Taking everyone's words into account, Setsuna delays in answering, not able to decide what should be done given Grayst' condition and the madness not being something that can be fixed. "Is there nothing we can do for his mind? There must be something, he is still alive, there should be a way for him to recover...if there is not, then maybe it is for the best, but..." unable to finish her sentence, the tiefling casts her eyes downward, not wanting to believe that Grayst really had no chance at getting better.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus slowly shakes his head.

"Red. Grayst. Is not. Cipriano. You are. Not. Repaying. Goodness. With goodness. Think. Setsuna. Red. Think.

This. Is not. About. This man. This. Does not. End. Here. We will. Probably. Meet. Many. Like him. Are we. To save them. All? With what. Funds?

This man. Is gone. We must. Bring. The one. Responsible. To justice. And be. As efficient. As possible. In doing. So.

Important things. Are happening. We must. Choose. Our fights. Just some. Minutes ago. I did the same. By letting. The necromancer. Go. Despite. Being. Contrary. To what. I hold most. Dear. For. The greater. Good.

You must. Do. The same."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red looks pleadingly up at Sirus, then turns away, unable to hold the stern half-orc's gaze. How on earth was she to explain that it wasn't anything that Grayst had done for her, but what Cipriano had done? Sirus wouldn't know. He hadn't died and been dragged back. He hadn't seen anything.

She'd said nothing since she woke up of what had happened to her on that side, even after Sirus had told the others of Cipriano's last wish. It hadn't seemed fair to burden Rico then and somehow, it was never a good time. She'd said a little to Setsuna, but not everything.

Blessed Cayden, what on earth had made her important enough for Cipriano to sacrifice himself for? She was just Red. Nobody very important. So why?

"... If you must." Red's voice is husky, a mere whisper as she bows her head and turns away, shouldering aside one of the watchmen, her footsteps heavy on the stairs. If Grayst was to die, she wanted no part of it.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-14 at 08:50 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Rico's been much troubled
    Of the whole matter, truth be told

She knows that afoot's much foulness
    Aggrieved at injustice and Law's weakness

Walked woodenly, scowled the livelong way
    Hoping that all'd work out, sword-clenchingly does pray

Much she longs for old Chippy's wisdom
    Struggles, bereft of her beloved's balsam

Echoes Taladron's sigh, nods with Sirus' words
    Marvels at Setsuna and her heart's birds

Still, does silent mostly keep
    Grinding her teeth, resisting the urge to weep

Only a fortnight or so ago,
    She'd let her wrath against the unholy flow

And now, are they but another breed of tool
    A decrepit scholar's nurse-servants... Who's the fool?

HELLSTEETH.
    She pauses by a tree, and there does sheath

Her madly-scratching pen, still transcribing
    Notes of the encounter, for later filing

Stops. Groans. Spits. Sighs.
    Scowls. Fails to look at Setsuna. Rumbles some advice,

"Lissena 'em, Hellgirl. Ye'll run yerself inta tha ground iffen ye tries wotcha wanna do... Grrrr-unnnnnnnggggghhhhh. Gorrammittall..."

But herself trails off, dripping away conviction
    As she turns away, with nigh-silent lamentation

"...Law. LAW. Heh. Hrrhhnnn... Tch."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus sees his words take effect. His face becomes more and more stoney, more and more grave. You know him long enough to read what that means: He is steeling himself.

Inside him, a private battle rages. If only Cipriano was here.

Am I doing the right thing? I told the others to let this man die. Two times today, I will have done things my soul rebels against. Am I doing the right thing? Is it the burden of a bitter necessity what I am feeling or my consciousness rebelling?

I need to think. I need to talk to someone. Pharasma, judge me as you should, when this man 's soul arrives at your Spire. If I am in the wrong, hold me to it.

Pharasma, your road is steep. But I will tread it, to the end.

At last, Sirus says

I will. Do. What is. Necessary. And I. Will. Answer for it. In this world. Or the. Next. I will. Make sure. He receives. A proper. Sent of.

His eyes almost smolder for a moment as he looks at the others. He almost falters before iron, harsh discipline reasserts itself. With small, easy movements, he takes out his kama and marches into the room.

Pharasma, guide my hand. Shield my soul, Lend me your strength. Pharasma, judge this man as you have judged millions. I did this. When my soul arrives at you feet, weight what am I about to do. May I find forgiveness.

And swiftly, he releases Grayst 's soul from the torment of undeath. When he comes out, his face looks only straight ahead, like a wooden mask.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

When Sirus stalks into Grayst's cell with his kama drawn, Hannah squints warily at him for a moment, then nods grimly. Laying the fevered man gently back down on the bed on his side, she indicates a spot at the back of his head, her eyes already distant. "Here. Be swift and he will feel nothing."

Grayst barely bleeds - it is as though he is already too far gone, his insides congealing to jelly. He shivers as the kama blade leaves his skull, moaning softly like a child in a bad dream, his eyes remaining mercifully shut even as he expires.

Despite the symbol of Gozreh on her breast, Hannah remains thoughtful enough to make the spiral of Pharasma over Grayst's forehead. "Go in peace, brother."

You end up being obliged to return to Sandpoint before the rest of the Watch does. For while Pidgit is quite happy to leave his cell and sit obediently in the wagon with a blunt shaving razor that one of the watchmen has conjured up from his pockets, the other two patients are considerably more resistant to being moved, with the larger of the two attempting to crush anyone who pokes as much as a toe into his cell. Even after Hannah Velerin has assisted with the endeavour by casting a spell to calm the more violent one, the little old lady in the other cell refuses to leave, nattering on about it being her home. In the end, it makes more sense to leave the Watch to their duties while you head back to take some rest.

It is late in the afternoon by the time you all return to the Sandpoint Garrison and meet with a harassed-looking Sheriff, whose coffee breath has only grown more potent since the morning. Muttering an oath in Shoanti as the rest of you fill him in on the details, Sheriff Hemlock knits his brow and taps out a staccato rhythm on his desk as he tries to think.

"Pauper's Grave... the place has been abandoned for years. Once the old chapel and the Boneyard were set up proper, people didn't need to dump corpses or unidentified bodies there any more. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the Sczarni were using it to hide their doings, but ghouls arising from there? The place isn't that far off the main road. Surely we'd have heard- or seen ghouls if they were entering from there. But it'd be worth sending a patrol there... perhaps tomorrow morning. For now, we need to make sure the town is on lock-down after dark and that we have eyes on the river, lest anything pops out of the water. And now we've got that lot from the sanatorium to take care of as well..." The Sheriff sighs heavily, resting his chin on his fists. In all likelihood, he is currently lamenting to himself the recent departure of the Magnimarian reinforcements and Shalelu Andosana.

As the Sheriff continues to brood, Vachedi the jailer lumbers out of the basement and tosses off a perfunctory salute. "Eh, boss. Dun meanta add to yer headaches. But Vinder's kickin' up a storm and demanding to be let out. He's been yellin' all manner o' nasty at Ibor too. Whadda yer wanna do with 'em both?"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

Brin nods solemnly at Sirus as prepares to send the tormented Grayst to has fate, whispering a funerary prayer as the deed is done. Afterwords, she has a word with the guardsmen they'll be leaving behind, strongly suggesting that they burn the man's remains as soon and completely as possible. An infected corpse posed a host of obvious dangers, and she wouldn't put it past Caizarlu to send one of his thralls back to collect samples from the body if it were merely interred.

Unusual circumstance demand certain concessions. Cremation is acceptable to the Goddess, even if it's not the most popular method in Varisia. She argues with herself.

But still, shooting Habe in the back, and letting the necromancer go, arguing that devil-child out of saving Grayst...maybe I'm cutting too many corners. She mulls over the thought on the march back to Sandpoint, puffing through a goodly portion of her tobacco without settling on a good answer. There was a certain attraction to following the rules, having some outside code to tell you that you were right, but she'd never been able to delude herself that completely. Every rule was contingent, every moral question ambiguous, every action up for argument, regardless of what was written in some dusty book somewhere. Maybe I haven't been cutting enough corners.

She remains quiet while the groups meets with Hemlock in the garrison, nodding her silent agreement to the Sheriff's plan to scout Pauper's Grave in the morning. She'd prefer to go now, of course, but then most of the people around here couldn't see half as well in the dark as she could, and most types of undead had even better night vision than elves.

But something the Sheriff said caught her attention. "Do you have some reason to think that the Scarni are operating there, or was it just a guess?" She inquires of Hemlock with sudden energy, ignoring the question of what to do with that idiot Vinder. "I haven't been in town long, but even I know the rumors around Jubryal Vhiski. I saw him with one of the orderlies from the sanatorium just yesterday, and I hear that Grayst and his friends were kicked out of that bar where Vhiski works, the Feedbag, I think, for running a con game."

"He might have some sort of connection to 'his Lordship.' Enough of one to get the murderer to do a bit of dirty work for the Sczarni."

It might be nothing, but better than sitting on their duffs until dawn.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-02-16 at 05:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Still withdrawn, Sirus nods at Brin.

"Yes. We should. Talk. To them."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

The usual cheerful tiefling is somber and silent on the trip back to Sandpoint, her dour mood a reflection of her mixed feelings about how Grayst' fate was decided and how she had yet again failed to save someone who was, at least mostly, innocent. Ultimately trying not to dwell on it has little effect, but she does eventually join in the discussion of going to talk to the Sczarni.

"It would be at least worth a try to see if they know any thing that may help, but before that, I am going to talk to Vender-san. He should know what it was that killed his daughter."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Hearing plans being formed to speak with both Vender and the Sczarni, Taladron decides to accompany Setsuna to talk to Vender before heading to Quinks house to see what he can look up before he needs to rest.

"Yes let's give Vender the grim news and hope he can keep his hot head cooled for once. As for the visit with the 'Alleged' Sczarni, I am not quite comfortable confronting them so close to when I will rest for the night, but don't let me stop you. Instead, I will pay Quink a visit and see if I can use his library to give us any advantages in tomorrows trek through ghoul infested forests. Hopefully the ghouls themselves will have some clues as to the identity of the murderer before we are reduced to questioning everyone in the greater Sandpoint area who has ever met Sirus."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Sheriff Hemlock grins mirthlessly at the mention of the Fatman's Feedbag, the seediest drinking hole in town. "Grayst was a bouncer at the Feedbag, yes. He'd have been under Jubrayl's protection. The other three... well, the only reason they'd as much as poke their noses inside the Feedbag would be because it'd be the only tavern in Sandpoint willing to play host to their little scams. With a generous cut going to Jubrayl himself, of course. Any kicking out of the area would've been done by myself and my constables. Not him. If you're thinking of paying him a little visit later on... I'd thank you not to start any fights. You're auxiliaries in the name of the Watch, and the Feedbag's crowd is difficult enough to corral as it is."

"Nevertheless. I thank you all for your help. You've done much today and the information you've provided has been invaluable. Well done." Grunting under his breathe, the Sheriff heaves himself to his feet and stretches before reaching for his halberd. "Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to see to the arrangements for our friends from the sanatorium. Vachedi, let Ven and Ibor out after the due paperwork for their release has been processed. I suppose it will do no harm to ask them a few more questions, if that's what you have in mind. But do be careful, Miss Setsuna." Sheriff Hemlock waggles his brows in warning. "Ven's temper isn't particularly sweet, as you'd know, and he's waxed twice as wrathful in his grief."

Most of you have been to the cells before. Those who choose to follow Setsuna downstairs into the Garrison basement while Vachedi prepares the papers are greeted with a barrage of foul oaths so venomous that you might wonder why you aren't bleeding out the ears as you approach the cells at the end of the corridor.

The Sandpoint jail cells are simple affairs, consisting of bare rooms furnished with little more than a bench and a chamber pot, all locked with barred iron gates. In the cell to your left, a nervous young man with tousled straw hair has retreated to the farthest corner of the cell, where he sits and gazes dolefully at his knees, seemingly oblivious to the splatters of dried blood on his face and clothes. A generous plate of potatoes and cold stew lies untouched by the cell door. This man, apparently, must be Ibor Thorn - Banny Harker's fellow colleague at the sawmill and the one who found the bodies.

Over in the cell on the right, Ven Vinder glares at you with red-rimmed swollen eyes, scowling, his huge hands clenching tight on the bars as if he would rip them out and go for your throats. "What then, eh? Come to laugh at me, have you? Betcha twas you what ratted on me, to get back at me for Shayliss, huh?" Ven's voice is raspy, presumably from an entire day of fruitless shouting. Those of you who are close enough to him might notice several large bruises on his face - knowing the man, he wouldn't have gone easily with any guards to custody.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-17 at 08:13 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Still sullen about Grayst' fate, seeing the imprisoned Thorn and Vinder only makes it worse, bringing back the all-to-recent memory of Katrine's and Banny's fate. Steeling herself she eventually shakes her head in response to his accusation and meets Ven's gaze.

"We came to let you know what it was that murdered Katrine-san," glancing over at Ibor in the other cell for a moment, "and Harker-san. It was an undead monster called a ghast, and we are going to find and destroy it." After a moment's consideration she also adds, "I know it is no consolation, but because of how they died, it will not be able to convert either of them into monsters."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not happy with the wording, but I can't think of a way to be nicer about it...

Diplomacy, word this better for me! (1d20+9)[28]
    Last edited by Desril; 2014-02-17 at 01:38 PM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

For a moment, Ven's nostrils flare, his knuckles whitening as he gazes at Setsuna with trembling bloodshot eyes - only to collapse the next moment, sobbing bitterly as he weeps into the crook of his elbow. "What matters what kilt her? T-tis not fair. Katrine was a good girl. So s-sweet.. Always helping her momma, always with a smile on her face... If it wasn't for that no good Harker, she'd never have come to this..."

Over in the other cell, Ibor's mouth twitches as though he would say something, but he merely glances at the rest of you before subsiding back into his stupor.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Not willing to deal with Ven and trusting Setsuna to handle him, Taladron turns away and notices Ibor. Something about him, be it the blood covering him, the dejected position, or the clearly ignored food, brings back uncomfortable memories of Thistletop for Taladron. Did I look that pathetic when I was imprisoned? No. I probably looked much worse.

Murmuring arcane words softly to himself, Taladron gestures at Ibor and magically cleans the blood from his face and clothing. After that, he casts again to warm up the uneaten food and add a buttery flavor to the potatoes with just a hint of garlic. To the stew, he just brings out more of the flavors already in the stew to make it more vivid. With that completed he casts another spell to move the food over to where Ibor sits.

"Food is better while it is still warm. Besides, you will be released soon and it would be rude to not even try food that was made for you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Several Prestidigitation spells to clean, warm, flavor etc. and a Mage hand to move it over to him.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2014-02-17 at 08:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Noting Taladron's handling of the other innocent in a cell, Setsuna continues talking to Vinder to try and ease the grieving father's pain. "It matters, because it was not Harker-san that was at fault, or Katrine-san for being with him, or your fault for not being able to know the future. It was the ghast's, and it will not get away with what it has done."

Remembering how she'd felt when her father died, Setsuna wonders if there was anything someone could have told her that might have eased the pain, and if it could work for when the situation was reversed before speaking up again. Realizing that there was probably nothing anyone could have told her at the time, she decides to just speak honestly and remind him that not everything is lost to him. "It is not fair, but we can not let that stop us from moving forward. If that happens, then even more injustices are created as we hurt others, including the people that we love. It will hurt, trying to stay strong, but the alternative is to let the pain overcome you. Katrine-san would not that, not when her sister and mother need you the most."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Ah, shut it. What the frakkin' hell would yer know? Huh? Never had nobody yer loved t-torn apart, have yer? Yer f-fancy words - t'ain't gonna bring my- hff- baby back. Pah!" Ven will not let himself be comforted by Setsuna's words. Not knowing how close to the truth he strikes, he lashes out in a fit of anger, smashing his clenched fist against the bars. As the cell door shudders violently in its brackets, the faint ring of metal in the air, he give Setsuna a final glare before turning away, still sobbing noisily into his arms while gulping for air.

Meanwhile, Ibor blinks in mild surprise, visibly moved as Taladron helps to cleanse him and warm his food. With all the blood off his face, he looks pleasant enough, if a little pinched around the cheeks due to his employment with the most tight-fisted of all of Sandpoint's noble families.

"Thank you," he says in a low whisper, sneaking a worried side glance at Ven as he does so. Ven, for his part, seems to be oblivious for the moment to anything but his own sorrow. "Um, it's not that I want to be ungrateful or nothing. It's just that... well. Haven't had much stomach for the vittles. Not since... well. You know." Ibor looks away for a moment, his face twisted in anguish as he passes a hand over his own stomach. "Couldn't do it, you know. Banny was my best bud. Thinking of him... it didn't seem right..."

For a moment, Ibor seems lost in his own thoughts, wincing as he looks down at his belly - still whole, without guts dripping out. Eventually, he stirs and looks Taladron up and down, glancing anxiously at the rest of you. "...You're not one of the Watch. You're one of the goblin slayers, aren't you? Am I really... going to be released? I've told the Sheriff all I know. My old man. He'll be worried sick."

Sense Motive DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    You already know that Ibor has an alibi and couldn't possibly be the one who killed Banny and Katrine. Still, you can't shake the gut feeling that Ibor might not have told the Sheriff's men everything he knows...

Red

Red mechanically kneads the prayer beads on her right wrist as Ven rants away, staring at a damp patch on the basement floor and thinking of a time long ago - a time when she'd pressed her hollow body to cold dirt, ignoring the gnawing ache in her belly, numb with grief. She'd willed herself then to freeze, to die, hoping that she'd stop moving so that they'd bury her with Rathi and then she wouldn't be alone any more. They'd dragged her away from the grave then, her fingers scrabbling, tearing at stone and flesh, screaming all the while. Maybe that was how Ven felt right now. Only worse.

Rathi hadn't been sawn up by a logsplitter. She'd died peacefully in her sleep one night, thank Cayden. If Rathi had died the way Katrine had died... Red bows her head. She'd have gone mad. It was a wonder Ven hadn't gone insane and needed to be carted off to the asylum. Only there wasn't an asylum anymore, was there?

Grimacing, Red pushes away the mental image of Grayst that floats before her eyes. Gently touching Setsuna's wrist, Red tries to catch the tiefling's eye, shaking her head insistently.

There was a time for wise words. Now was not that time. It would be better to leave Ven alone to be sad for now.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-18 at 12:30 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

At Vinder's words, the pain of her own past catches up to her again briefly, but she only manages to respond with an emotional "I" before Red's touch and the look in her eye silences the tiefling mid-sentence, causing the rest of it go unsaid. Shaking her head at Ven's back she moves back toward the others.

I understand better than anyone else you've met what it's like to lose someone like that.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Taladron

Taladron is about to turn away when he notices Red flash a look at Ibor which makes Taladron think harder on what Ibor just said. "Is it that surprising that you will be released? You didn't do anything wrong right?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus has been following the conversations, his head swinging from the one to the other. What terrible pain must be to lose a child. Setsuna was doing her best. Sometimes, it was not enough.

But then his eyes catch Ibor's expression. He slowly approaches the cell.

"But. You know. More. Don't you. Mister Ibor? You are. Innocent. Without. A doubt. And we. Will. Tell. The sheriff so.

But. You. Are holding. Something. Back. Please. Tell us. We are. Dealing. With murder. Here. Share. What. You know."

Spoiler
    Show
    SM (1d20+11)[20]

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Sensing the tautness of Setsuna's arm and the odd note in the tiefling's usually cheerful voice, Red hesitates, biting her lip as she tries to piece things together and figure out what was wrong. Then, finally, she remembers snatches of a conversation in the bath-house and what she knew about Setsuna's father.

Oh. Right.

Her brow creased in sorrow, Red follows Setsuna away, hovering worriedly just behind the tiefling, not daring to ask if everything was all right. Maybe she didn't want to talk about stuff either like Ven. Still, but one never knew. It was important to be there.

GM post

"Well... yes. Surprising, a little," Ibor admits, glancing sidelong at Ven's back once more. "I wasn't discounting the possibility of my um- employer pulling some strings to keep me in jail. Though I s'pose that's ex-employer now. There's no way I'd be asked back to run the sawmill now."

Groaning softly under his breath, Ibor steeples his fingers and runs his palms over his hair. "Ehh. I s'pose it makes no difference in the end. If he wants me dead, I'll be dead anyway," mutters the sawmill manager without much hope. "You see, Banny'd been skimming the profits for the past couple of years. Taking a little bit off the books to put by for himself. And he's my best bud - of course, I said nothing. And now he turns up dead like this? I was thinking that maybe someone had been carrying tales to the Scarnettis, and they'd wanted their money back with blood interest or something. There ain't no other reason why anyone would lay a finger on Banny. He was greedy, is all. But he didn't ever do nothing else to offend folks."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-19 at 09:10 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

Scarnettis? Maybe another employer for our necromancer.
    Her eyes narrow. The rumors were piling up faster than the facts, and not connecting into any neat pattern that she could see. Maybe I should sleep on it. After dinner.

She yawns and stretches.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Ibor closes his eyes wearily and sighs, leaning the side of his head against the wall of the cell as Vachedi stumps down into the basement, jangling the keys. "P'raps I ought to stay in here a while longer. Where it's safer and where nobody can get at me. One never can tell..."

"Yer don't want t'go 'ome, Ibor?" The burly Shoanti jailer rumbles in surprise, scratching his bald head as he comes up by the cell.

"Naw. I'll 'splain later. But it'll do me a power of good if you'd kindly send my old man some word from me." Ibor tries a wan smile on Vachedi, not moving from his slumped position even as he nods at Taladron. "All the same, mister. Thanks for caring. I'll try to get something in me if I can keep it down."

With the Sheriff gone off to supervise the rest of the Watch, it seems that you are free to dispose of the rest of the evening as you will once you leave the Garrison.

For those who choose to return to the Rusty Dragon for evening victuals, Ameiko has done her usual magic in the kitchen to dish up a mean fish curry with generous helpings of brown bread and fragrant rice, depending on the palate of the diner. There aren't as many patrons around tonight though, and any conversation that does take place is subdued and moody. While Banny had hardly been a noteworthy citizen of any sort, Katrine was the beloved eldest daughter of Sandpoint's only General Store owner, and the fact that there isn't even enough left of her to fill a small coffin has definitely spooked folks more than they'd care to admit.

Should you care to eavesdrop on or join in the huddled knots of diners and merchants, you are quickly regaled with various wild interpretations and even wilder theories of who was really responsible. (The most outrageous one involves 'that tiefling what tried to make it with Shayliss' conjuring up a fiend to go after Katrine, with Banny's mutilated body being used as a summoning conduit and sacrifice.) While the locals are certainly aware that you're helping out with the investigation, most of the them are sensible enough to refrain from pumping you for information, though that doesn't stop a few of the nosier parkers from trying their luck.

For those of you who elect to accompany Taladron to the house of Brodert Quink, you find the grizzled scholar in the middle of an early dinner of sausage and goat cheese, with a tattered book spread across his knees. He's slightly puzzled to see you at a time like this. Nevertheless, once informed that Taladron wishes to use his library to seek information that might help with the investigation, Quink allows you into his private study and directs you towards a cramped corner where several of the books are festooned with cobwebs and coated with a thick layer of dust.

"The undead have hardly been my purview," admits Quink, genteelly nudging his spectacles further up his nose. "Nor my pet specialisation. Still, you might find something of use in there."

Research done in Quink's study gets you +2 on Knowledge checks.

Red

In Red's experience, talking people out of being upset wasn't always the best thing to do. She wasn't sure if this was because she wasn't good at talking or if because most upset people weren't exactly in a mind to listen anyway. Hells. She didn't even know how to talk herself out of not being upset - she always ended up confused and even more upset than when she'd began. But still, one had to try. And as far as Red was concerned, there was only one good way to sort out one's thoughts.

As they step out of the Garrison, she taps the back of Setsuna's wrist. "Will you... fight with me? I..." Red pauses, then takes a deep breath and looks away, almost embarrassed to ask, unsure of what words to use. "I feel like... I have done nothing... today."

All PCs are free to do as they wish for the night. Next major GM post will start the next day.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-02-20 at 09:22 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Caught off guard by Red's sudden request to spar, and not quite figuring out the real reason for it, it takes the tiefling a moment to respond as she tries with limited success to push back the still fresh pain and agitation caused by Ven's lashing out first. A practice match could help take my mind off things at least.

"You have done as much as I have, but if you think it will help I would be happy to spar with you. Should we find practice weapons?"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .