Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A Big Ball of Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey .... Stuff

(( This will be using the Doctor Who: Adventures in Space and Time tabletaop roleplaying game. I'm going on the assumtion of complete ignorance of the rules on part of the players, but lacking the want to type the rule book into this post, so I will have the basics of character creation here and teach the rule as we go. If anyone else does have rules knowledge, feel free to explane the rules when the need arrises. ))

The Last Great Time War. It destroyed Gallifray and most of both the Daleks and the Time-Lords. Those that survived either went into hiding or are cursed to forever wander space and time, never to see another of their kind.

For everyone else in the rest of the universe, life proceeded as usual, sentient beings walked upon planets, planets moved around their respective stars, stars exploded only to give life to new stars, but now and again, unexpected things happens.

Things, like a wanderer or wanderers offering to take someone or someones along for the ride. This is that story.

Creating a Character
    First and foremost, we need characters, w/o characters there is no story. So tell me about your character, who they are and why they might accept an inventation to endless wonder.

Characters also have 6 stats, a 3 in a stat is that of the average human and 6 is normal human maximum, you may not have less then 1 in any stat:
    Awareness
    Coordination
    Imgenuity
    Presence
    Resolve
    Strength
    (( These, and the skills blow, are mostly self explanitory, but if you have any question, include them in the PM after your character has been accepted. ))

In addition to stats, there are 12 skills, 6 is normal human maximum, having 3 or more in one skill lets you take a field of specialization in stead of the next increase in that skill:
    Athletics
    Convince
    Craft
    Fighting
    Knowledge
    Marksman
    Medicine
    Science
    Subterfuge (( Think stealth ))
    Survival
    Technology
    Transport

Lastly characters have traits, these are anything else about the character that isn't already covered. Like are they psychic or an alien, are they good w/ animals or w/ machines. (( Post a discription of rather than a list and I'll go over it w/ you after it's accepted. ))

You have 24 character points to send on stats and traits, leftovers become additional skill points, 18 skill points to spend on skills. There are also 12 story points per character that are used in-game.

After your accepted, we'll work out the specifics of writing up the character in game terms using the forum's privite message system. Once you have a complete character, repost it here. We'll start once we have three PC's, but more mat come if I see that it won't cause any problems.

I have several alien races of my own concoction, if you would like to play as one let me know instead of posting a character.

Character Slots
    Human -- Oliver Linell
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attributes
    Awareness: 3
    Coordination: 4
    Ingenuity: 4
    Presence: 4
    Resolve: 4
    Strength: 3

Good Traits
    Alien (Special Good)
    Can (and Will) Eat Anything (Major Good): Oliver's biology is...different. For some trice blasted reason the man can consume just about ANYTHING and get away with it. He's digested acids that would melt Cybersteel, drunk molten rock ("That was for a bet!"), and regularly chews on Titanium like it was chewing gum ("Hey, it cleans my teeth better than any floss sold by those damned dentists."). How the man does this is a mystery to many a gastroenterologist and dentist.
    Charming (Minor Good)
    Code of Conduct (Minor Bad)
    Eccentric (Minor Bad)
    Experienced x2
    Immortal (Major Good)
    Impulsive (Minor Bad)
    Insatiable Curiosity (Minor Bad)
    Voice of Authority (Minor Good)
    Obligation (Minor Bad)
    Obsession (Minor Bad)

Skills
    Athletics: 3
    Convince: 4 (Specialization: Charm)
    Craft: 0
    Fighting: 0
    Knowledge: 4 (Specialization: Culture)
    Marksman: 0
    Medicine: 2
    Science: 4 (Specialization: Chemistry)
    Subterfuge: 0
    Survival: 4 (Specialization: Cooking)
    Technology: 1
    Transport: 0

Story Point: 6
    Human/Alien
    Human/Alien
    Human/Alien
    Time-Lord -- Ky
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: 'Ky' {First syllable of full name}
    Native TL: 10

Appearance/Personality: Ky is nothing special to behold. Outwardly, he appears to be a fair-skinned 18 year old boy, with short brown hair and blue eyes. He usually dresses like someone who's got a job interview later. Overall, there's little to mark Ky as anything more than an ordinary kid: Mostly because, well, he is an ordinary kid. Yes, he's a Time Lord: But he's also a nervous, inexperienced teenager, who's trying to stay afloat in a vast universe. Not every Time Lord is a legend made flesh. Some of them are just...people.

Background: Ky may be the only surviving Time Lord to have never been part of the Time War. He was spared that horror thanks to a freak temporal accident. Back when Gallifrey's peace seemed everlasting, the young Ky was a student at one of its many academies. He dutifully studied the ancient texts, obeyed his tutors to the letter, and generally behaved like a traditionalistic conformist; Or, as the Time Lords put it, a 'model citizen'.

At the tender age of 83, Ky's life changed forever. As a reward for his diligence, one of the academy's research teams offered him the chance to accompany them on a routine expedition. The young Ky excitedly gathered his things, and marched proudly into the team's TARDIS. He never made it home.

Ky still isn't sure what happened on that fateful trip. He remembers chatting amiably with the researchers; And then, without the slightest warning, being thrown sideways as the whole room lurched. When Ky awoke, he found himself alone in the damaged console room. There was no sign of his fellow travellers. Remembering his training, he repaired the TARDIS as best he could, and sent out a distress call. Little did he know that his troubles had barely begun.

Awareness 4
    Coordination 2
    Ingenuity 3 {+2 from Time Lord makes 5}
    Presence 3
    Resolve 4
    Strength 2

Traits
    Time Lord {2}
    Psychic Training {1}
    Psychic {1}
    Telepathy {1}
    Tough {1}
    Feel the Turn of the Universe {from Time Lord}
    Gadget ('Dimensional Extrapolator', Scan, Teleport, Restriction [Can't be used by others]) {from Time Lord}
    Vortex {from Time Lord}

By the Book (-1)
    Code of Conduct (from Time Lord)
    Cowardly (-1)
    Phobia (Heights, -1)

Athletics 1
    Convince 3
    Knowledge 4
    Medicine 1
    Science 4
    Technology 4
    Subterfuge 1
    Survival 2
    Transport 1
    Time-Lord -- The Inspector
    Spoiler
    Show
    Backstory
    Growing up on Gallifrey is hard work. Going to the academy and dealing with Prydon Chapter's shenanigans is harder. Having to deal with that after witnessing a Renegade kill your mother, driving your father to the point of suicide is even harder. Putting on a brave face and graduating with high marks is the hardest of all.
    These are the circumstances in which the Time Lady, now known as The Inspector, grew up in. After her stay at the Academy, she was quickly recruited into the Celestial Intervention Agency, due to her conviction, talents in stealth, and her strong need for personal justice. She eagerly toiled away on cases, hoping that at some point she would catch her mother's killer. Then one day she did. She cornered him in a housing complex. She raised her custom Komretovarian Pocket Rifle, and shot. He was faster. She lay there in the throws of a regeneration, while her killer limped away, too worried about more CIA agents arriving to properly kill her.
    Her second incarnation was even more obsessed. She barely slept. She frequently forgot to eat and never saw anyone who wasn't a lead. She no longer wanted justice, she just wanted revenge. When the Time War began, she didn't care. One day, as the Time War was nearing its bloody conclusion, she found him once more. He was leading a squadron of Daleks into the CIA headquarters. The rest of the CIA managed to defeat the Daleks, but she was devoted. She found him, disarmed him, had him pressed up against the wall, had her gun pointed at the back of his neck, when her commanding officer entered. He congratulated her on apprehending the vile criminal and took him away to be properly punished for his crimes. She didn't care. She wanted him dead from her own hands. She wanted to feel his blood, to stop his hearts, to get proper closure. But she couldn't. She reacted violently and was taken off the case for good. She wasn't even allowed to see his execution.
    She milled about the ruins of Gallifrey for a few days, aimlessly and purposely, before being drafted into a new project. She was to be sent across the universe, with a chameleon arch to hide her true nature, so that if Gallifrey fell it's children would still survive.
    The next thing she knew she was on some dank, backwater planet called Earth. She had lived there for 50-odd years of their time, and was in desperate need of a new body. So, she forced her Regeneration and decided that she should travel. Explore, see the universe and try to make up for the years she spent fruitlessly pursuing one person.

Attributes
    Awareness: 4
    Coordination: 3
    Ingenuity: 4 (2 from Time Lord)
    Presence: 3
    Resolve: 3

Traits
    Argumentative (Minor Bad)
    Brave (Minor Good)
    By the Book (Minor Bad)
    CIA Agent (Special Good)
    Code of Conduct (Minor Bad)
    Eccentric (Avoids all mention of her pre-Time War days) (Minor Bad)
    Experienced Time Lord x2 (Special Good)
    Feel the Turn of the Universe (Special Good)
    Impaired Senses (Nearsighted) (Minor Bad)
    Indomitable (Major Good)
    Time Lord (Special Good)
    Voice of Authority (Minor Good)
    Vortex (Special Good)
    Weakness (Allergy to Feline Dander) (Minor Bad)

Gadgets
    Custom Komretovarian Pan-Dimensional Pocket Rifle (Major Gadget)
    -Weapon (Major)
    -Stun (Minor)
    -Limitation (Stun only effects biological life forms) (Minor)

Skills
    Athletics: 3
    Convince: 3 (Area of Expertise: Interrogation)
    Craft:
    Fighting: 2
    Knowledge: 4 (1 + AoE from CIA Agent) (Area of Expertise: Secrets of the Time-Lords)
    Marksman: 4
    Medicine: 1
    Science: 1
    Subterfuge: 5 (2 From CIA Agent)
    Survival: 1
    Technology: 3
    Transport: 1
    Last edited by Reality Glitch; 2013-12-30 at 05:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Big Ball of Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey .... Stuff

Interesting, but I probably have too many games already. *Sighs*

. . . I know this is totally random, but does that game have stats for the Master? I love John Simm.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Urgh, i really shouldn't join more games... but.. it's Doctor Who!!.... gahh! well, i'll sleep on it and report back tomorrow

looking for either an amnesiac 'human' (might actually be something entirely different), or possibly some wibbley-wobbley time-wimey traveller of some sorts, perhaps even The Doctor himself (near-oblivious to the simple stuff and a ninja on the techno-widgeting and spatial warp-rift closing and such.)
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

No cannon characters, please.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I wasn't thinking of that, I just wanted to see it.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

(I'll post my character in a minute, just have a quick question.)

Do we have to spend a stat point for the base of one or do stats start at one and then we spend points to improve stats.
    Last edited by Afool; 2013-12-24 at 09:24 PM.
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight for letting me adopt my Pikeman Avatar.
    A Tricking Website

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

They start at zero, then you spend points.

8. - Top - End - #8

Alright, it took me a bit of time to figure out this character, but then he hit me like a sack of hammers and the only thing he needs now is a name.

The Chef (not a Time Lord)

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Awareness: 2
    Coordination: 4
    Ingenuity: 4

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Athletics: 2
    Convince: 3 (Specialization: Schmoozing)
    Craft:
    Fighting:
    Knowledge: 6 (Specialization: Culture)
    Marksman:
    Medicine:
    Science: 6 (Specialization: Chemistry)
    Subterfuge:
    Survival:
    Technology:
    Transport:

Spoiler: Traits
    Show

Interstellar Chef: This man has traveled around the universe testing, tasting, teaching, experimenting, and most of all learning about how different forms of life consume food and how they best enjoy that food. He's learned all about food rights, guest rights, what makes food, well, food in the eyes of a plethora of species that exist in universe. Simply put, if Oliver doesn't know something about food, he'll hop on the fastest (or nearest, he's not particularly picky) transport to wherever it is to learn about it ("What do you mean it's not worth knowing?!? Whether the Scemechulotools of lpjiuhgtg V prefer copper shavings or sulfate shards is of paramount importance. NOW GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU @#%^%$$%^^$!")

Can (and Will) Eat Anything: Oliver's biology is...different. For some trice blasted reason the man can consume just about ANYTHING and get away with it. He's digested acids that would melt Cybersteel, drunk molten rock ("That was for a bet!"), and regularly chews on Titanium like it was chewing gum ("Hey, it cleans my teeth better than any floss sold by those damned dentists."). How the man does this is a mystery to many a gastroenterologist and dentist.

Expanded Life Span: Oliver has been around for 713 SSU, which rounds to about 1300 Earth Years. He looks barely a day over 32 EY. Many a rumor has gone around the ICC (Interstellar Cooking Circuit) about how he's survived for so long looking as well as he does ranging from clones with a genetic memory to being a parasite that moves from host to host to even him Drinking from the Holy Cup of Heartahoopala. Unfortunately the reason isn't quite so fantastic as the rumors make it out to be. The short version (that Oliver will ever tell anyone) is that Oliver made a bet with an old friend of his a loooooong time ago and Death's not getting in the way of it being settled.

So what do you think?

*edit
    I latched onto the name Oliver about half way through though the last name escapes me at the moment.
    Last edited by Afool; 2013-12-25 at 10:06 PM.
    A Tricking Website

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

O.k., here's the thing: Skills at zero mean that the character has absolutely no experience in that field what-so-ever, such as 0 transport means he's even worse at driving than SpongeBob and 0 survival means he still lives w/ his mother or some equivalent level of dependency. Even the sample characters that com w/ the game have no more than four skills at zero, tops.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Posting interest as a Former Chameleon-Circuit TL. Unlike the Human-Centric Doctor and Master who would never become anything but Human, this Lord of Time chose an out of the way place without any time-lord looking people
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have to bow out, sorry.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Glitch View Post
    O.k., here's the thing: Skills at zero mean that the character has absolutely no experience in that field what-so-ever, such as 0 transport means he's even worse at driving than SpongeBob and 0 survival means he still lives w/ his mother or some equivalent level of dependency. Even the sample characters that com w/ the game have no more than four skills at zero, tops.
    OOOOHHHH. Well we can't have that then. I'm going to spoil my stats in the previous page, and then put up a revised bit here.

*edit
    And here's the revision.

Oliver Linell (Found a decent last name after a fair amount of googling.)

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Awareness: 2
    Coordination: 3
    Ingenuity: 3

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Athletics: 2
    Convince: 3 (Specialization: Schmoozing)
    Craft: 1
    Fighting:
    Knowledge: 3 (Specialization: Culture)
    Marksman:
    Medicine: 1
    Science: 3 (Specialization: Chemistry)
    Subterfuge:
    Survival: 3 (Specialization: Cooking)
    Technology: 1
    Transport:

Spoiler: Traits
    Show

Interstellar Chef: This man has traveled around the universe testing, tasting, teaching, experimenting, and most of all learning about how different forms of life consume food and how they best enjoy that food. He's learned all about food rights, guest rights, what makes food, well, food in the eyes of a plethora of species that exist in universe. Simply put, if Oliver doesn't know something about food, he'll hop on the fastest (or nearest, he's not particularly picky) transport to wherever it is to learn about it ("What do you mean it's not worth knowing?!? Whether the Scemechulotools of lpjiuhgtg V prefer copper shavings or sulfate shards is of paramount importance. NOW GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU @#%^%$$%^^$!")

Can (and Will) Eat Anything: Oliver's biology is...different. For some trice blasted reason the man can consume just about ANYTHING and get away with it. He's digested acids that would melt Cybersteel, drunk molten rock ("That was for a bet!"), and regularly chews on Titanium like it was chewing gum ("Hey, it cleans my teeth better than any floss sold by those damned dentists."). How the man does this is a mystery to many a gastroenterologist and dentist.

Expanded Life Span: Oliver has been around for 713 SSU, which rounds to about 1300 Earth Years. He looks barely a day over 32 EY. Many a rumor has gone around the ICC (Interstellar Cooking Circuit) about how he's survived for so long looking as well as he does ranging from clones with a genetic memory to being a parasite that moves from host to host to even him Drinking from the Holy Cup of Heartahoopala. Unfortunately the reason isn't quite so fantastic as the rumors make it out to be. The short version (that Oliver will ever tell anyone) is that Oliver made a bet with an old friend of his a loooooong time ago and Death's not getting in the way of it being settled.

Unfortunately Oliver isn't the master of knowledge he was before, but he can actually cook now. (If you could give an example of a 3 with a Specialization is that would be great. Like if 0 is worse than Sponge Bob at driving, then what's a 1? What's a 6? Thanks.)
    Last edited by Afool; 2013-12-26 at 03:02 AM.
    A Tricking Website

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afool View Post
    If you could give an example of a 3 with a Specialization is that would be great.
    Survival (cooking)

14. - Top - End - #14

Survival (cooking)

This. This is a good thing. (and I kind of meant like a real world equivalent, like with the Sponge Bob example. At this point I'm presuming 1 (to keep with the driving example) is "This is a gas petal. You press it to go." 3 is "And that's how you parallel park on ice." and 6 is "You jumped what with the motor scooter?!?)

I need to make a revision or two.
    A Tricking Website

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afool View Post
    You jumped what with the motor scooter?!?)
    It is now my personal goal in life to make someone say that, in real life or roleplay
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Okay, I have never heard of this system, but I will learn this. Have some ideas about a Time Lord character, would either go with The Mechanic, or The Captain.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedSorcererGirl

Oh hey, I'm interested in this! I assume there will be need for a human companion, yes?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Or an alien one, who know? Who, nose.

19. - Top - End - #19

Oh, hey. While you're on, was I any amount of correct for what skill ranks?
    A Tricking Website

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's how the book describes it:
    A Skill of one indicates a basic knowledge in the area, someone who has just started to learn the subject or has little experience in the field. A Skill of two or three means they've become quite confident. If it's academic Skill, they may have good qualification in it (maybe some A-levels or a certificate or two), or they've gained a reputation for being reliable in that area. Four or five is really showing some expertise, they may have a degree, some commendations, and are the go-to people for the Skill. Above that, six or more, you're talking real experts in the field. They could be doctors or masters, but not the Doctor or the Master -- they have Skills higher then that.

21. - Top - End - #21

Ah. So what does a Specialization do mechanically? (At the moment, I'm presuming it means your skill is treated as 1 or 2 higher when it is applied to that particular aspect of it.)
    A Tricking Website

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

+2 while working w/in the specialization.

23. - Top - End - #23

DrowGirl

I decided to look for and buy these books, Even if I don't get in this game I must play on a Dr Who game at some point.

Depending on what the others make, I plan on using The Mechanic (Technology with TARDIS specialty and Transport), The Captain (Converse, Subterfuge, and Marksman), or The Chronicler (Low physical stats, high Ingeuniuty and Resolve, History, Science, Multiple regenerations, possibly from 3rd-6th.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I have tried to join in 3 Dr Who games before. All of them didn't take off, let's hope this is different. Though, none of them use the actual rules so let's see how this works. I'd be interested in playing an alien race, but I'd like to see the options. If I don't like them enough, I'm going to post a character below either as a practice or as a final character depending on the aliens.

Alright, rough concept of the character is the surprisingly tough and competent cab driver.

Spoiler
    Show

Stats
    Awareness 5
    Coordination 4
    Ingenuity 4
    Presence 2
    Resolve 6
    Strength 5

Skills
    Athletics 2
    Convince 1
    Craft 0
    Fighting 3
    Knowledge 1
    Marksman 3
    Medicine 0
    Science 1
    Subterfuge 3
    Survival 2
    Technology 1
    Transport 3

Traits
    George is a rather large man, and once a very athletic one. However, his age and his dead end of a job have left him a bit out of shape with some extra weight around the middle. He also was a clever man, but he only ever really applied himself to what interested him, thinking he could just ride on that to get him through life. This has backfired on him rather dramatically.

He has been a cabby for the last 8 years, and is mostly going through the motions of life. Hoping that something exciting and interesting will finally happen to him.

I will fill out more if i decide to go with George instead of an alien.

Traits I like: Brave 1, Face in the Crowd 1, Indomitable 2, Tough 1, Quick Reflexes 1, Experienced (Special).

Argumentative -1, Code of Conduct -1, Impaired Senses (glasses) -1, Selfish -1, Unattractive -1, Dark Secret -1
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2013-12-29 at 09:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember to leave some character point left over for buying traits, everyone.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

You know what, I'm interested in this. Seems rather fun, I'll post a character tonight.
    Time Zone : GMT - 4:00 (EDT)
    Many nights go by, each one making me regret more and more about who I have become. It doesn't get any easier, but I take comfort in feeling like I can at least trying to make a difference.

27. - Top - End - #27

+2 while working w/in the specialization.
    Wiz. That works great with what I've had in mind.
    A Tricking Website

28. - Top - End - #28

DrowGirl

Question; Are we traveling with The Doctor? Another Time Lord? Or perhaps one of us Time Lords have a TARDIS?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I have plans if no one plays a T.A.R.D.I.S.-equipped Time-Lord.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I would assume I have a TARDIS, one younger than the Doctors, maybe even a War-TARDIS from the Time War before he hid under Cham like the Master