New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Game Sytem for a Steampunk Superheroe Game A la League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

As the title says. What would be the best system for a superheroes style game set in a steampunk earth where the PCs would be based off characters from XIXth / XXth century literature? Not necessarily the same group as the League, it could be new ideas.

Ye Ol'FASERIP MSH ? M&M 2e or 3e ? Heck, why not a steampunk version of Shadowrun ?

Please discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Game Sytem for a Steampunk Superheroe Game A la League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

My go to system for super heroes is Wild Talents and there isn't anything about Steampunk that Wild Talents can't do. You might need to add some Power Sources but the base ones will probably be fine.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Game Sytem for a Steampunk Superheroe Game A la League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

FATE works pretty well for most settings.
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mekboy View Post
    FATE works pretty well for most settings.
    In fact, this is one of FATE's main settings, The Spirit of the Century.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Another option is Iron Kingdoms, an RPG devoted to steampunk. If you want a superpowered party, you can start the game at the Veteran or Epic character levels.

However, Iron Kingdoms is also a fantasy setting, so it includes magic and the Tolkien races, which might not be something you want involved.
    "No, she's already given her epic one-liner! We're committed now!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, if you want Steampunk try Brass & Steel or Airship Pirates , possible Leagues of Adventure or if you can find it, Space 1889
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Savage Worlds is pretty solid. It's got rules for steampunky stuff in Deadlands, and it works superheroics in pretty much the same way.

M&M is always a good choice as well.

FATE I'd do only if the focus is more on talking than action.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use