New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Castle of Kalzarath

High in the mountains northeast of town, away from the dwarven fortress, a castle grows from the stone of the mountain.

The layout of the castle is fairly basic, with a defensive wall studded with turrets and towers, with a moderatly sized central keep. The keep rises four levels into the air, and dives seven into the stone beneath. A tall tower of five levels adorns each corner of the keep, while a central spire rises five above the main ceiling. Each tower is flat and turreted at the top.

The castle is set about with many runes and wards, and patrolled by tireless undead. An unusual ward fills every room within, clearly visible to any with magical senses: An Epic-Enhanced Flame Quench stands ready to trigger, anywhere and everywhere. Whomever resides here seems to be beyond paranoid about fire.

Basic Castle Layout
    Spoiler
    Show

Sub-Floors
    Spoiler
    Show
    First
    Spoiler
    Show

Second
    Spoiler
    Show

Third
    Spoiler
    Show

Fourth
    Spoiler
    Show

Fifth
    Spoiler
    Show

The Evil Spell-Weavers
    Spoiler
    Show

Alton, a Drow. Master of the Spell-weavers. Wears a traditional drow wizard robe and Piwafi. Speaks in Navy

Elric, a Lijosalfar. Weaver of the Divine. Rarely seen without his mithril elven chain and strange rapier. Speaks in Green (Deceased - killed by Renrik)

Fendran, a shadow-werefox. Weaver of Shadows. The family resemblance to Fenric is unmistakable. Speaks in Red

Ikzi-Bashok, a human. Weaver of Elements. His body is covered with tattoo-like designs of raised scar tissue. Speaks in Indigo

Randan, a human. Weaver of Unweaving. He is an arrogant wizard in red silken robes. Speaks in Maroon

Lindorarna, an elf. Weaver of Arcane. This wood-elf wears special leather armor, and has an array of wands in what should be a shortsword sheath. Speaks in Dark Orange

mirror-Krystal, a shadow-werefox. Weaver of the Mind. Daughter of mirror-Fenric with a random evil priestess, she looks exactly like the good Krystal. She is a psion who augments her abilities with spells. Speaks in Royal Blue

The Spell Weaver's View of the Universe
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Fenric; 2007-02-18 at 12:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: The Castle of Kalzarath

The lich Kalzarath waits in his audience chamber.

Elric is the first to return: the tall elf resplendant in his mithril elven chain. He drags mirror-Karl along by the ear.

This one should prove useful, my lord. His cult has managed to find a replacement deity on the Fundamental of Evil itself.

The lich nods. Take him and his cultists below, to the fourth level.

The elf bows and mirror-Karl is taken away.
    Last edited by DarkHunter; 2007-01-19 at 12:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Ikzi-Bashok, covered with fantastic scar-tattoos, appears in a swirl of darkness. He is accompanied by mirror-Krystal.

She took a bit of convincing, but I believe we have a new spellweaver.

The lich nods

Excellant. Assign her a room on the third level, then.

The scarred wizard leads the young girl away.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2007-01-19 at 12:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Randan in his red silk robes drags in three prisoners

Should have guessed: Fendran's double is a whiny paladin. And here is mirror-Fenric and his girl.

The evil lich grins with malicious glee

Take them straightaway to the dungeon and see to it they are well warded and guarded. I shall enjoy destroying these...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Lindorarna and Fendran appear together, herding a group of foxes.

We've rounded up the remaining children.

Kazuki is nowhere to be found, so it appears my spies told the truth and he is no more.

The lich nods

The mages go off to be slaves, take the clerics to Karl.

The two bow, and herd the mirrors of Ferdar, Yoshiro, Ayame, Kirana, and Karina off to the lower levels of the castle.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2007-01-21 at 12:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Last of all, Alton appears. A single elf woman bound by his spells. He bows deeply.

My dread lord: I have brought clerics, guards, and death knights captured from the mirror-Kazuki's temple. I must report, however, that that child of your enemy is no more.

I bring you this prize, however. From the mirror world: a dread enchantress and necromantress whose name you might find interesting. Allow me to introduce Karina NorZilliar, mother of the mirror-world Fenric.

The lich eyes the latest acquisition thoughtfully

Fascinating... And what have you to offer us, Karina?

The evil Karina grins

There are several things I can offer, Kalzarath. I am an enchantress of no mean power. I also know a great deal about... other diversions.

We shall see... Alton, give her a room on your floor, for now.

Alton bows and respecfully leads Karina away. The lich sits and ponders this latest development.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Two flying bodies appear, far way from the castle.
    "This is where he went."
    "Well shoot. That doesn't look good at all."
    Phoenixineohp and Phoenix sigh.
    "Guess we have a few more things to plan for."
    "Things just can't happen one at a time here, noooo." She shakes her head and the pair fly off.
    Character Stats

Phoenixineohp avatar by Trog!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Kalzarath sighs

The fool Randan trusts too much in his abilities, and may be caught.

Alton shrugs

Perhaps it is time for a new unweaver. This arrogant fool from Thay has always caused trouble, however useful his spells might have been from time to time.

The evil lich shakes his head

We are too few, even with the new additions. The bird women hunt us even now: they were spotted flying by the castle in the night.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Kalzarath suddenly feels a surge of power on the plane that he had not felt in ages.

Alton! Randan! Attend me at once. Everyone on the alert! He is here, in this world.

The other spellweavers scurry about, setting patrols and heightening the guards and wards. The master-weaver and the unweaver stand next to their lord

My lord: why this sudden burst of activity?

The lich looks at his lieutennant in disbelief for a moment, then regains his composure with a force of will.

Of course: you cannot feel him... You may have noticed that I have never sent you to fetch our mirrors. The reason for this is my mirror is a druid of surpassing power. You are his druidic circle, in that place: powerful beyond description.

And he now walks this world. We must be ready... it is only a matter of time before they find the firebird-women.

Alton looks at Randan, who seems a bit irritated at the lich's obsession with Px and Pxp. He wisely holds his tongue, however.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant appears in a cloud of red smoke inside the defensive walls, just outside the keep. He looks around the surrounding areas, frowning a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantur View Post
    Merant? He pays his tabs and would make me seven shades and black and blue before I could wound him decently, so I tend to avoid saying much about him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Four Death Knights converge on Merant

Intruder: identify yourself at once!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant folds his arms and narrows his eyes at the death knights. His eyes go to a burning red "Now that's not a very nice reception to a God is it?"
    Merant? He pays his tabs and would make me seven shades and black and blue before I could wound him decently, so I tend to avoid saying much about him.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

The Death Knights stand, neither advancing nor withdrawing. It is apparent that they have sent a message, but not apparent how.

After a short time, the ones blocking the path to the keep stand aside

You will be seen.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant turns to the knight that spoke "Good" he then moves swiftly towards the keep

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Within the massive entry hall, Merant encounters a Drow dressed as well as any high archmage of a town of that dark folk, and a human in the red robes favoured by the wizards of Thay. The tattoos on his bald head strengthen the certainty of his origins.

Alton bows politely to Merant

To what do we owe the honour of this visit?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant nods to Alton "I spoke to two...firebirds last night, I imagine you know who I'm talking of. The two said you were opposed to them and a certain vulpine clan so to speak, I may be of some assistance because I as well have some things to...sort out with part of that group."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

The two evil spellweavers look at each other.

You need to see the master.

Randan rolls his eyes

If for no other reason than to keep the skin on our bodies.

The two lead the way through double doors of darkest blackness, into the audience chamber and throne room of Kalzarath. The lich sits patiently on his obisdian throne, the room decorated really quite tastefully in shades of grey and black. White marble statues in classical form occupy niches along the wall. The aura of magic covers everything to such a depth that there is obviously a heavy layering of Nystul's Magic Aura applied to blind out the true enchantments.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant looks around the room "Nice decor you've got here"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

The lich gives Merant a dry look

Thank you. Since I do not believe that you are the god of interior decor, I want to know why you are truly here. It takes little imagination to seek to unsettle me with tales of those abominable phoenixes. What do you propose to do, and what do you want in return?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

"Fenric and his extended family is the only reason that the people I'm hunting are still breathing. I can't allow this to go unpunished, whether it's at your hands or mine I don't care. However Fenric is nigh on invincible within his temple for one person to take on all by himself, and this is what has prevented me from acting up to this point. Whether I can help you or not really depends on what you are trying to do."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Kalzarath's dessicated face creaks into a seldom-seen grin

Fenric is completely invulnerable, and that is his greatest weakness. Oh, you can destroy his body, but his precious goddess would simply reassemble him.

No: my goal is to make him suffer forever, amid the ashes of those he cared about. We will use his own nature against him, but we need someone who can survive the inhospitable temper of Myobi long enough to deliver the curse we have prepared.

And your payment is automatic: for you will learn the curse yourself.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant grins evily "How hard would it be to put the curse on?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Kalzarath gestures to Randan, who steps forward

The curse is applied to the victim's connections with the demiplane of Ravenloft. Fenric's is direct, Wukei's comes through her association with Hel, the daughter of Loki, who is now a Dark Lord. The symmetry is identical.

By reweaving the amounts of negative energy and astral energy in this connection, you can create an unconscious aura of decay and unlife. The victim will gradually either slay those around, or change them into undead.

Their attempts to cure the pain of their loved ones will merely reset the clock and prolong the suffering. Their attempts to divine the source will trace back to Ravenloft and be lost in the mists, for the Dark Powers do not allow other gods to scry into their lands.

The difficulty is that procedure takes about a turn to complete

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant grins "Sounds cruel and painful, I like it a lot. Would this work with people who have been touched by the mists?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Randan shakes his head

This curse is tied to that particular connection, so no: you must be at least mist-touched, and better mist-linked. But Fendran knows how to establish the connections, so it doesn't really matter

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant shrugs "Shame, I know several mist touched people that would appreciate that curse being placed on them. So, how is the curse placed on the victim?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Randan turns to his master with a scowl

Where is Elric? I can't teach this fellow something that I can't do myself. If you want him to learn, then summon the person who can teach!

Kalzarath chuckles

You are here, and Alton is here, because you cannot give away the secret. The demon Merant may be freshly a god, but his powers are not to be underestimated. Know Secrets would rip the knowledge from your mind before your considerable defenses were prepared for it.

No, I will have a little oath from our fine upgraded demon, first.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant raises an eyebrow "Oh? This almost feels like a binding contract and I've already foolishly signed enough of them." he yawns "Still, it got me to where I am"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Kalzarath smiles and gestures to the floor, where a censer of vile black water appears

Your powers come from Loki, and therefore this particular substance is particularly... binding to you. Swear on this water from Styx that you will never aid the phoenixes against me, and we will give you a slave with the information imprinted in his subsconscious.

You may use whatever means you find most pleasing to extract it, after you have left.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Merant grins "I swear"