New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Implementing Blue Magic

So I was wondering if it would be good idea to implement a form of blue magic in my games.

For those wondering, blue magic is a form of magic from Final Fantasy that allows the caster to learn spells from monsters after having said spells applied directly to the students forehead, preferably in a painful fashion.

The guys are bored of the vanilla spells and the fighter players constantly moan about having to be a paladin or a heling kit to cast spells and I think it would be a nice compromise.

What do you?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Implementing Blue Magic

I think there have been several attempts to homebrew it into D&D. But first what system are you using? Because that will make all of the difference in this particular thing.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Are you talking about D&D? Which edition?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can try, but homebrew has proven that blue magic generally falls apart pretty fast.

Problems that arise:
    A) blue magic ends up becoming regular magic because of how it becomes difficult to introduce creature-based abilities to the game.
    B) poor balance from trying to give a mage a useful ability without making the threat too weak or too strong.
    C) reliant upon the DM to pad encounters or provide separate blue magic encounters.
    D) blue magic user tends to fall behind the power curve since there is no effective method of gaining blue magic outside of encounters.

Not that it can't be done, but most games require altering blue magic significantly, enough so that it often is better using a different system.

And with that comment I go off to make a Blue Mage class for my game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, you could use my Omnomnomicon. I don't know if it's the blue magic you were lookin' for, though.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Go with D&D's Blue Magic, and play a totemist! And homebrew new soulmelds that let you emulate the abilities of monsters you've seen before!

The "Form of X" feats from the Spell Compendium might make good SLAs to use in 3.5. Maybe.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Yeah… a class like that is pretty well covered by classes that already exist in the game. Also, a homebrew build would be hard to build and easy to break.

However, by dusting off your less-used D&D books, you can find some pretty awesome "magic" (for lack of a better word) variants, like Complete Psionic, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic and Dragon Magic.

You can also consider certain off-the-beaten path feats like Aberration Blooded that will really change how your character looks and plays.

However, if you really want to implement a Blue Mage homebrew, consider allowing the character to steal special abilities rather than magic abilities. This more directly reflects the capabilities of the Blue Mage anyway… but I'm almost positive there is a class in Dungeonscape or something that does that already.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

IIRC there's actually a PrC that lets you steal Su abilities off of evil outsiders, but its pretty obscure.

I'd just do it like the Final Fantasy games - not every enemy ability is learnable. Instead, perhaps you could do it by assigning an ability to every [Type] x [Subtype] combination. When the Blue Swordsman personally lands the killing blow on a creature with a given [Type] x [Subtype], they learn the corresponding ability.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

3.5 does it rather too well:
    Manipulate Form -> Pun Pun
    But that's rather too insane.

3.5's Spellthief can steal SLAs, but this is more limited in use.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

just adapt the sandman bard class from pathfinder
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...