A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    D.C., Northern VA, NM, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default need an anti-virus

    I currently have McAfee (yes, yes, bla, bla, poor choice, but I have my reasons) and am looking for anti virus and anti spyware programs. I am not looking for long term, just a few scans and then I will take it off.

    and free please

    any suggestions???
    I tried to be a nurf herder but the nurfs wouldn't listen

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Orbit
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacTheHungry View Post
    I currently have McAfee (yes, yes, bla, bla, poor choice, but I have my reasons) and am looking for anti virus and anti spyware programs. I am not looking for long term, just a few scans and then I will take it off.

    and free please

    any suggestions???
    If you only really need it for a few scans, maybe Trend Micro's Housecall?
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Yarr, avast!, mateys!

    Really, the only but absolutely amazing choice when it comes to free antiviruses. There are also Avira (doesn't seem to have quite the same base/support) and AVG (became bloated over the last few years).

    Though by now most suites offer a free version by now, except the too-established ones like Norton or Kaspersky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    I use Avast, and can vouch for it, but it's not the most bulletproof thing out there. I've had some nasties that it couldn't handle, and that NOD32 pounded into the dust. There's a free trial on the download page, but I think it's only 30 days or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    I'd recommend AVAST. I'm not sure how good it is at spotting viruses already on your computer, but I do know that its protected me from malicious downloads time and time again.
    Prophet of the D1

    Avatar by Darklord Bright. Former avatar's by gurgleflep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otacon17 View Post
    Also, he has skill ranks in "Space Guns" and "Space Swords." When I asked him if he meant things like blasters and lightsabers, he said, "No, they're exactly the same as regular guns and swords in every way. But I'm only good with the space ones. If I had a regular Earth weapon, it just wouldn't feel right."
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatOwl View Post
    Ninjas have given you a Mandolin. Are you man enough to master the Mandolin and get your revenge!?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I use Avast, and can vouch for it, but it's not the most bulletproof thing out there. I've had some nasties that it couldn't handle, and that NOD32 pounded into the dust. There's a free trial on the download page, but I think it's only 30 days or something.
    Generally, they've all got slightly different algorithms, so something that's completely ignored by one AV might be detected by another, and vice versa. NOD32 is really good though and is a de-facto corporate standard in a lot of places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    EmeraldRose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Der Wahnsinn
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    We've been using AVG lately. I admit to being very annoyed when it constantly wants us to purchase additional "protection" like firewall stuff and extra internet monitoring.

    And when it pops up and kicks me out of my games.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

    Here Be Dragons

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    And when it pops up and kicks me out of my games.
    There should be a Gaming/Silent Mode or something similarly named in the settings or options that prevent it doing that with full screen games.

    If you play your games windowed, then it shouldn't kick you out.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    EmeraldRose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Der Wahnsinn
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    I will look at the settings. I'm generally just playing Skyrim through SKSE from Steam.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

    Here Be Dragons

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Microsoft Security Essentials has worked fine for me for a while.
    Jude P.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Night Vale
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Obligatory that someone mentions this too.
    Avatar by TheGiant
    Long-form Sig

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SowZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: need an anti-virus

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Yarr, avast!, mateys!

    Really, the only but absolutely amazing choice when it comes to free antiviruses. There are also Avira (doesn't seem to have quite the same base/support) and AVG (became bloated over the last few years).

    Though by now most suites offer a free version by now, except the too-established ones like Norton or Kaspersky.
    Seconded. There are a few obscure bugs Avast will miss, but do a full manual scan and you should be good to go.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist
    Avatar by Kymme

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •