New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Laptop screen replacement

Kind of a weird question, but how bad an idea would it be to try to mount an HDMI monitor on my old laptop's base? The bloody graphics card cable is so poorly designed that every time I replace it it just wears out again in a few months, so the screen never works and I've just removed it so I can use an external monitor anyway
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Laptop screen replacement

Assuming you can get it set up while headless, that's actually pretty clever.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you going to be mobile with it? Or tied to a desk. Because I don't think that the monitor will take a laptop power cable.
    Proud 1st edtion player!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbum42 View Post
    Are you going to be mobile with it? Or tied to a desk. Because I don't think that the monitor will take a laptop power cable.
    I'd like it to be mobile again, but that means figuring out some kind of battery pack for the monitor. Any ideas?
    Jude P.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I'd like it to be mobile again, but that means figuring out some kind of battery pack for the monitor. Any ideas?
    More importantly, do you intend to lug the monitor around? I thought you meant converting it into a desktop. Do they even sell monitors small enough to sit in the laptop's frame?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    More importantly, do you intend to lug the monitor around? I thought you meant converting it into a desktop. Do they even sell monitors small enough to sit in the laptop's frame?
    Wide 18.5" monitors still exist, yeah. It's a big laptop. As it is now it's basically a desktop; I took the screen off and I'm using the laptop as a keyboard.
    Jude P.