Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

d6 Why can't people play Monopoly by the actual rules?

I've played countless games of Monopoly, and I've read the rules, but I've never actually participated in a game that goes by the RAW. Everyone has to come up with some random house rule that does nothing but slow it down. I mean, if you want to play more, just wait until this round is over and we'll start over. It doesn't have to drag out for the entire length of a Lord of the Rings movie. Here are a few stupid rules I've had to deal with:

• "You have to wait until you've gone around the board at least once before you can even do anything."
    • "Landing on Free Parking means you get a bunch of money from the middle of the board, which by the way was collected through various means."
    • "You can't buy a space you're not currently on."
    • "Being in jail means you're basically out of the game for a couple of turns."
    • "You can ask other players for loans."
    • "If you're asked for a loan, you MUST provide one."
    • "Going bankrupt means someone else takes over for your piece."

And so on. I also can't seem to get a consistent answer on how much cash you're supposed to get, because some people want to start really low, while others want to basically start off with an empty bank. Can we at least come up with some fun house rules, for once? Either play by the RAW, or you'll keep getting long, drawn-out, boring games that go on forever and never actually get a conclusion, since everyone keeps leaving the game out of boredom. Actually, screw it. I know I've stated previously that being a GM isn't for me, but if that's what it takes to make Monopoly fun, I'll gladly bite that bullet.

/Rant
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2016-12-19 at 12:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Why can't people play Monopoly by the actual rules?

To be fair, Monopoly was literally DESIGNED to be un-fun.

Which is why it's interesting that so many people want to make it even LESS fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I've tried quite hard to get the only person who I've played Monopoly with in the last couple of years to play by the actual rules. I managed to convince him not to put money into Free Parking, but he thinks auctions are too complicated. Predictably, our last game ended in a "draw" when he got bored.

He is, however, seven years old.

That may be a central issue: Monopoly is being bought as a children's game all the time, but children don't know how auctions work, let alone understand why the game is less horrible if you use them. But its children for whom handling money and buying property has any novelty factor at all. In other words, children want to play, but rarely understand how, and adults usually don't want to play, and because all their knowledge from the game derives from when they didn't know how to play it as children, they continue not knowing how to play it as adults and don't care enough to learn how.

I have yet to play the game, ever, with a full table of people who understand the rules. I likely never will, because if I should ever become part of a board gaming group of four people who care enough to learn the rules of the games they play, there are lots and lots of other games I'd suggest first.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2016-12-19 at 01:06 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never played when someone actually auctions off property. But the one that always gets me is free parking, there are a lot of people that think that is RAW.
    I am surprised so many people still buy the game. It isn't that great and there is a whole world of really good board games out there now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    "You can't buy a space you're not currently on."
    Wait... there's a way to buy a property you're *not* on?

EDIT: Oh right, yeah, auctions. Rarely comes up, forgot about it.

Also, I've done pretty much all of those variants at some point or another.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2016-12-19 at 01:57 PM.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I've never played when someone actually auctions off property. But the one that always gets me is free parking, there are a lot of people that think that is RAW.
    I am surprised so many people still buy the game. It isn't that great and there is a whole world of really good board games out there now.
    I'd be willing to bet it's because it's traditional, and most people aren't serious enough about board games to know better, or to want to try something more interesting.

Though I've always kind of had fun with monopoly, we never finish, but the social interactions can be pretty entertaining. The last game I played (several years ago) one player had the worst streak of luck and kept ending up in Jail, which was pretty entertaining. Meanwhile someone else was amassing a huge housing empire and making a big show of it.

I don't really know the rules of monopoly though, we'd start out with so much money, and play, then buy things as we go around the board doing things the board tells us to do and such. Never did auctions or anything like that....though I think we did have the "no buying things until you're around the board once" thing.

I don't own a copy of the game but now I want to actually find and read the rules to see what it's supposed to be like...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There are some things that require a lot more time than everything in the rest of the game. The income tax one is usually enough of a pain that pretty much everyone just pays the simple value.

The best moment of the game though was one time when I was playing with several of my cousins. One cousin was having some bad luck so he tried to sell "iceberg insurance" to the player with the battleship for some extra money, they didn't take him up on it. A while later someone knocks over a drink and a piece of ice goes flying across the table and smacks the battleship right off the board.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

These are some really strange houserules. I don't see how anyone would play with some of these. I don't really like Monopoly to begin with, but these few just sound pointless and against the point of the game.

• "You have to wait until you've gone around the board at least once before you can even do anything."
    What purpose does that serve? Just to roll around the board for a tour before you start fighting over it? It just seems like a couple of turns of nothing before the game actually starts.

What? So you land on someone's hotel, and can just ask them to loan you the money? The point of the game is to bankrupt the other players, not bail them out!

9. - Top - End - #9

Sounds like someone with a future in politics. :)

About the only rule I ever changed was to auctions. We went to silent auctions, so there wasn't a huge amount of shouting. Everyone interested made a bid, and the seller picked the one they wanted. Saved a fair bit of time.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

What? So you land on someone's hotel, and can just ask them to loan you the money? The point of the game is to bankrupt the other players, not bail them out!
    It might be so that people can keep playing until one of them has enough IOUs to call in everything everyone else has and win, instead of people dropping out one by one and having to find something else to do. Of course, that presupposes that you actually want to play a three-or-more-players game of Monopoly until one player wins, which is some pretty extreme masochism.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It might be so that people can keep playing until one of them has enough IOUs to call in everything everyone else has and win, instead of people dropping out one by one and having to find something else to do. Of course, that presupposes that you actually want to play a three-or-more-players game of Monopoly until one player wins, which is some pretty extreme masochism.
    If people want a game that keeps all players in the game until someone wins, I don't think Monopoly is for them. Besides, most games of Monopoly I've played become pretty obvious on who will win around halfway through, and the only person that wants to finish is the leading player. Everyone else either straight up quits, or just half-heartedly goes along to the end, and only one person ends up having fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Auctions? Wait, what? Damn I was never told about any auctions in Monopoly. True I haven't played it since I was, eh, hem, well maybe 10 I guess? Otherwise I don't recall having ever played with any of those other house rules. Maybe the jail one. Don't you just have to try to get doubles to get out else pay a fine after three failed attempts?

To be honest, I have zero intention of subjecting my children to Monopoly or myself to playing Monopoly with any children so with any luck effort at all I'll find a more useful way of teaching them about handling money.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

13. - Top - End - #13

Because the game was originally designed to make winning suck- and thus, showcase that making money without adding wealth was Evil.

Lizzie Maggie designed "The Landlord's Game" to showcase the evils of capitalism, and demonstrate that rent-seekers were just leeched living off the hardworking proletariat; and that land speculation was evil- (AKA, easy money), and the best way to benefit the most players was by nationalizing stuff.

It didn't play well, AND the game was boring; so Charles Darrow took the idea, removed the educational aspects & the best ways to produce wealth, and used her work to make money by selling "his" boring game to Milton Bradley.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-of-capitalism
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

From memory, I think my family used to play pretty much RAW. I never heard of the "free parking" nonsense until this very thread.

"Asking for loans" was never formally part of the game, but is there any actual rule against it?

The point of bailing out another player is to increase the number of variables in the game when it's going against you. If one player owns six hotels, you own three, and the third owns a smattering of houses - you might be willing to pay the third to keep playing, rather than see all her properties handed over to the guy who's already set fair to wipe you out.

In a similar vein (I'm very rusty) - is there any rule against private sales between players?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbors pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    The point of bailing out another player is to increase the number of variables in the game when it's going against you. If one player owns six hotels, you own three, and the third owns a smattering of houses - you might be willing to pay the third to keep playing, rather than see all her properties handed over to the guy who's already set fair to wipe you out.
    Fair point. I have nothing wrong with loans, per se, but that rule about always granting loan requests doesn't sound like a good rule to me. If you want to strategize and keep people in for your own benefit, that's up to you.

In a similar vein (I'm very rusty) - is there any rule against private sales between players?
    I see no reason why it would be outlawed. I would always try to make weird deals for property. Like, if I had a hotel, I'd offer one free stay at that hotel in exhange for some property. A lot of people took the deal.

16. - Top - End - #16

We all should just play Anarchist Monopoly.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Trades and sales between players is pretty much mandatory isn't it? It would be almost impossible to get a set of properties without it, and without a set you can't make improvements and none of the base rents are enough to put anyone out of the game to start consolidating properties.

Monopoly still teaches though. Like "if you are getting ahead by taking everything from your sister she is likely to jump across the table and make you eat that money" (Lesson between my mom and Aunt when they were younger).
    But in general if one person is getting everything and the others are struggling to survive they are going to get mad and leave.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

@Erloas, that might be why free parking is so prevalent. As long as money is in the center it offered Hope that a loosing player could stay in longer or regain position and discouraged them from throwing the dice at you until no plausible hope of a comeback remained.

Free parking (almost always) and no auctions (frequent) were the only the only 'House Rules' I can remember. I also don't know anyone who actually plays monopoly these days. It may have been the only/closest thing to worker placement or resource management when I was a kid but ever since Settlers of Catan hit the scene everyone into board games has had better options.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Here are a few stupid rules I've had to deal with:

• "Landing on Free Parking means you get a bunch of money from the middle of the board, which by the way was collected through various means."
    • "You can't buy a space you're not currently on."
    • "Being in jail means you're basically out of the game for a couple of turns."
    • "Going bankrupt means someone else takes over for your piece."
    The only common house rule I've ever had to deal with is "no auctions".

That being said, I once played with a group that claimed that when a player landed on a space, they would receive the amount of money listed below the property name (the price of the property). No buying anything, no paying rent, no nothing. The game ended when there was no money left in the bank, and the player with the most money was the winner.

I also can't seem to get a consistent answer on how much cash you're supposed to get, because some people want to start really low, while others want to basically start off with an empty bank.
    As far as I can tell, each player is supposed to start with $1500, which seems like a reasonable amount.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    As far as I can tell, each player is supposed to start with $1500, which seems like a reasonable amount.
    Unless it has changed it used to be:
    2x $500
    2x $100
    2x $50
    6x $20
    5x $10
    5x $5
    5x $1

Which is $1500.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've played countless games of Monopoly, and I've read the rules, but I've never actually participated in a game that goes by the RAW. Everyone has to come up with some random house rule that does nothing but slow it down. I mean, if you want to play more, just wait until this round is over and we'll start over. It doesn't have to drag out for the entire length of a Lord of the Rings movie. Here are a few stupid rules I've had to deal with:
    As an owner of a no-frills Monopoly board, I can confirm that while placing collected Income Tax on the board to be collected by the next person to land on Free Parking is not in the rule book, it is given as an example house rule on an insert covering frequently asked questions, specifically "Can I make my own rules?" The response only says this isn't allowed in tournament play. The rulebook itself does contain two variants in which some properties are handed out to players at the start of the game.

If you want to ensure adherence to the game's basic rules, including auctions, then I might suggest that you simply play a version where you cannot implement any house rules. Monopoly has had software adaptations since the NES. I remember playing it on Yahoo! Games and it was baffling how much faster the game goes when no one has to directly hand out currency and property, no one can try to cut a deal and thus no one can refuse a deal, hurt someone else's feelings and then not speak to each other for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    We all should just play Anarchist Monopoly.
    Also, Dresden Codak's Buddhist Mario
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2016-12-20 at 08:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    @Erloas, that might be why free parking is so prevalent. As long as money is in the center it offered Hope that a loosing player could stay in longer or regain position and discouraged them from throwing the dice at you until no plausible hope of a comeback remained.
    This is exactly it. In fact, this can be explained as a source of a lot of house rules.

More accurately, the reason is this: This is marketed as a game for children.

Let's consider some house rule scenarios. First, with or without auctions.
    • With: Little Timmy lands on a property. He either can't afford to buy it or doesn't want to. Now it goes up for auction. Little Susie and Daddy bid back and forth on it, and Daddy wins. Little Susie feels upset.
    • Without: Little Timmy lands on a property. He either can't afford to buy it or doesn't want to. Next turn.

Now, was anybody cheated in the first example? No. But here's the difference - without auctions, it's a game of chance. If you don't land on a property, you can't buy it, and nobody is to blame except the dice. But with auctions, there is someone to blame - the person who bids against you. Little Susie is angry because Daddy defeated her, actively, in an auction. There are games where you can blame the dice when you beat someone, and games where you can't; the latter is a great way to cause hurt feelings.

Next, with or without the Free Parking jackpot.
    • Without: Little Timmy is in dire straits. If he doesn't get some money soon, he'll be foreclosed. The game proceeds, and Little Timmy, continuously backed into a corner, throws his hands up in frustration and defeat. He's bored and wants ice cream.
    • With: Little Timmy is in dire straits. If he doesn't get some money soon, he'll be foreclosed. Then he lands on Free Parking, enjoys a windfall, and is back into the game!

Again, is it unfair that Little Timmy is losing in the first scenario? No, that's how games work. But with a small child, a losing streak - and this game, played properly, is unforgiving of losing streaks - will drive them away from the game. The goal is to keep them involved, not make them stomp off from the table. So Free Parking rectifies that by promising a chance at redemption if you just keep playing.

So we play with these house rules. And what happens? We get used to them. Adults get used to playing with the house rules, and forget that they're adaptations. Kids grow up with the house rules, and never know any better unless they bother to look it up. After awhile, that's just how things are.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Trying playing competitive Monopoly. They adhere to the RAW to a cutthroat degree.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The same reason people add in a whole bunch of house rules for Checkers. Because the base rules are quite frankly very boring, and after just a handful of full trips around the board its almost always blatantly obvious who is going to win.

So people add in extra house rules to try and spice things up or at least giving people that are down some possibility of coming back.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Competitive anything is cutthroat to the RAW. Bingo, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Houserules are some of the best things that could happen to a game. As long as everyone knows and agrees that they are playing with houserules.

27. - Top - End - #27

If little kids want to play a game where everything is fair because you can only blame the dice, so nobody's getting their feelings hurt, they should stick to Candyland or similar. I stopped playing games with kids around the time I started getting in trouble for not fudging every single turn, anyway.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Probably because Monopoly is one of the most drawn out boring board games that has ever been created, so people inevitably try to do something to fix it.

Unfortunately, most of them aren't exactly brilliant game designers and you'll get some house rules that are straight up worse than the original rules. And, that is a hard thing to do.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    I see no reason why it would be outlawed. I would always try to make weird deals for property. Like, if I had a hotel, I'd offer one free stay at that hotel in exhange for some property. A lot of people took the deal.
    Allowing private sales is (IMO) literally half the point of the game. It wouldn't be a "property trading game" if you couldn't exchange your properties, and AFAIK most digital adaptations include a trade window.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I never understood the auction rule in Monopoly. Aside some extremely niche scenarios, I can't see WHY you'd ever auction off a spot you landed on. You don't get the money for it, so why give your opponents the opportunity to gain more property on your turn?