Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: We're All Mad Here: Let's Play Rune Factory 3!

That event with Karina was very cute.

And Rusk is like my sister, but more willing to try foods.

I ordered a copy of RF3. Raven will be mine! And Frontier. I hope I can figure out the schedules well enough to make up for no minimap in Frontier. Maybe I should've bought Tides, if the golem is your only compaint with it... but what else I've read on it doesn't convince me it's good.

I've given up on dating more than one character at a time in RF4. I am going to be boring and monogamous, because with multiple people it's harder to manage the love points and I'd feel bad about things such as the Firefly Festival. I've also cut down on the number of people I plan to marry. It's a careful balance between interest in the character and tolerance for going through the same stuff again. Especially for Leon, who I'm really interested in but requires a high tolerance for the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    As I learned from the anime series Seto No Hanayome, adopting the strategy of "never get wet in public, ever" is easier said than done.
    An unfortunate thing to say out of context.

And while Raven and Ramza would have a huge problem to face should they marry and consider children, baby flaming wooly-chicks would be adorable.
    They would be, but sadly the game doesn't change what your children look like. Though Deme brought up the fact that Raven's unstable, which is something I hadn't thought about... maybe it would alleviate in their children as they have less of the bird monster's power housed within their mortal bodies, or maybe it would be worse since they've got both that AND wooly runes.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-08-05 at 07:20 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Frontier isn't too bad about people deviating from their routines. And it's easy to make the rounds once you get a wolf to ride. Just.... do yourself a favor and look at a few runey - management guides before you get too far. That was another cool concept that didn't pan out in actual gameplay.

Also darn it Rune Factory 4, stop giving request reward gear that's better than what I have materials to make! How can I be a respectable blacksmith when people casually hand me dragon - claw gloves as payment for killing some goblins?
    Last edited by Toric; 2015-08-06 at 05:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Frontier isn't too bad about people deviating from their routines. And it's easy to make the rounds once you get a wolf to ride. Just.... do yourself a favor and look at a few runey - management guides before you get too far. That was another cool concept that didn't pan out in actual gameplay.
    I did a quick look into it and think I understand the basic concepts to not run into the ground. Not that I'm sure I'll ever use farmland other than the homestead anyway, I'm not the greatest farmer.
    Also darn it Rune Factory 4, stop giving request reward gear that's better than what I have materials to make! How can I be a respectable blacksmith when people casually hand me dragon - claw gloves as payment for killing some goblins?
    With the number of cans, boots, and failed dishes I get, I swear the town secretly hates me and is being passive-aggressive about it.

Anyway, I've played very little of Frontier (basically I've met Eunice), but I have been playing 3. Geez, this game had really hard combat early on, then I bought leather boots and gloves and my strength shot way up because they were just way better than my actual sword and shield. Also, I accidentally fainted because I wasn't keeping an eye on my rune points while beating up monsters, so glad that RF4 changed that because it really only affects the super-early game (I'm also glad that RF4 finally decided to call the weapon spell "Tamitaya" instead of "Retornen". No particular reason). But at this point, I'm just about ready for the Ancient Bones fight.

I'm at 6 points with Raven and... I think Pia? *checks* Yeah, Pia. I'm a bit behind where I'd like to be with Sakuya, only 4 points, since I had trouble getting sashimi until recently. Also, I have been invading personal privacy. Shino keeps a katana in her drawer. XD But argh, these voices. RF4 has way better voice acting. They gave Raven a different VA. From what little I've heard of RF1 and 2 voices, they seem good, and I think Barrett has the same VA in both 2 and 4. Frontier's pretty good too. So this seems like an anomaly. And naturally, the "turn off voices" option was only added in RF4.

And I apparently forgot about the plot point where the Univir and other monsters used to live in Sharance (wayyy before Kuruna was born). I went back and checked to see if Deme removed it for her own purposes, but no, I just forgot.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-08-11 at 07:14 PM.
    My Steam profile

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

I may add some -- though not as much as in other LPs because there's hardly room, but I remove very little from what I do show. On the other hand, there's sooo much incidental, day-to-day dialogue I don't show, because auuuugh. So much words. So much transcribing. I hate transcribing dialogue so much, and Rune Factory characters are super wordy relative to other games I've done. So, barring it being particularly funny or interesting, I don't show daily dialogue if it's "Oh, hey, this is tomorrow." "Tutorial Time!" or "Ha ha ha, I am a character with a gimmick, let me show you this gimmick," or otherwise generally boring. But I try not to not show things I think are interesting or significant, or a plot point. (This tendency towards being super talkative is one thing I love about Rune Factory [barring 1, which I had trouble getting dialogue from characters from] when playing it, but LPing is another animal)

Having everyone chatting up Rune Factory and this game so thoroughly has made it shoot up my "How much do I enjoy projects I'm working on" listings, so excellent work, everybody!

This is why I never become a master smith -- though, in this run of this game, for a change, my chest luck's been bad enough that Ramza is living off his own skills. Mostly.
    This is a first.
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-08-11 at 07:39 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    With the number of cans, boots, and failed dishes I get, I swear the town secretly hates me and is being passive-aggressive about it.
    I personally love getting Failed Dishes as gifts. They're often high-level, meaning they make great ammunition. (Also, I love any game in which the previous statement about food items makes sense.)

And it happened again yesterday. I received dual blades better than anything I have except the gloves, as a reward for beating a boss monster. The first boss monster of the game. Which I defeated in one strike. ....I give up trying to understand Selphia's gift-giving traditions.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

I think one of the interesting ways to abuse sell-prices was the tempering mechanic. If you aren't hammering junk into those weapons and armor and trinkets, you're missing out. Just putting ten scrap iron (a difficult task but good for leveling the forge and craft skills) on a thing doubles its sell price.
    And if you're not hammering GOOD stuff into your weapons, at least you're getting in a lot more weapon/defense skill practice at the cost of taking much longer to dispatch stuff.

Tempering is seriously crazy. It's a good way to get weapons to practice your status-ailment-resist-and-inflict-skills (including instant death), and if you want to go total offense, there's plenty of options there, too.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

It's not as good in here as it is in 4, where of course I had accessories that regened everything and granted skill EXP...

That aside, chapter time!

Chapter 37: The Apple of Knowledge
    Spoiler
    Show

With the late start I got, it takes me a while to think about things like checking mail: There's the settlement to visit, and my crops to harvest, and so on.

...Do I really want to recover her syringe?

While I'm mulling over that, a monstrous storm kicks up. The wind rips through the trees; standing straight into it, the wind blows raindrops all over me.
    Tiime to go see about that syringe, I guess; are Syringes at least indoors?

For some reason, Collette's hanging around the apothecary's infirmary, too. Maybe she was caught in the rain.
    "Sorry to keep you waiting. Is Collette helping too?"

"You're asking Marian...?!"
    Did she fall and hit her -- ok, that was just mean.

"She's like a moth to the flame."
    "I see... Does that include me as a victim?"

"I don't have time for that today!"
    "Something happen?"

Marian pouted, folding her arms and speaking into them with hunched shoulders.
    "She said it was patients instead of decreasing them."
    "She's right about that." Where's the lie.
    She opened up her posture to better glare at me and the world in general.
    "Anyway! Now I can't work! I need to get it back."

I heard the wind die down, a bright beam of sunlight shining through the window. It felt like a moment of epiphany.

"Hey, Marian. Just prove to Marjorie that your magic is good." Her syringe is basically like a staff, right? "If you can use solid magic, Marjorie will have to let you do as you like."
    "What?!"

Marian looked absolutely delighted with this plan, but as she thought more about this... She got a determined, resolved expression. It felt like the proper face of a witch preparing to work.
    "Now I'm fired up!"

I want her to be happy... But... I'm not entirely altruistic.
    As I'm mulling over that bit of guilt, she grins.

"Let's get going! C'mon, Ramza!"

She runs out at full speed.

Where are we even going?!

"The star dunes?"
    I wonder why...

Well, we go there anyway, so...

"Around here...? It may just be a sea of sand,but..."

She runs around, digging her hands into the layers of sand, currents and rivulets of it falling down the sides of her fingers and hands.

"R-really?" Howso?

"You're not just picking up random objects, are you?"

She does not acknowledge that I said anything, instead running along. She kicks up the sand to try and find things, but really all it does is fill the air with the puffy hiss of falling sand.

"That much!?"
    At last, though, she turns back to me and winks.
    "Alright! I think this should be enough!"
    "Is it really going to be okay...?" What sort of magic is this going to even be...?
    "Now! Back to the apothecary!"

Welp, like she said.

The cauldron bubbles, the fluid inside gone a sort of dull magenta.
    From our pile of ingredients, she starts gathering up a fresh armful.

"Huh...?!"

She climbs up to the cauldron's side and chucks them over the edge. She pushes back her cape with slightly stained fingers.
    "Now for some magic!"

With Collette by her side, Marjorie enters the cauldron's room.
    "Whew, just in time."
    "Grandma! Perfect timing. I'm almost done!"

She beamed with innocent pride, expecting to be praised for it... And, well, she might have been reckless in ingredient placement, but I am curious...
    Marjorie looked down into the cauldron, and then slowly back up.

"I see. This is quite a poison."
    "Poison?!"

"You think I can't tell?"

The stormclouds of Marjorie's expression lifted.
    "Did you forget? You promised not to make medicine without me."
    "Oh..." Oops. "That's because I--"
    She interrupts me before I can explain.
    "Regardless, you didn't keep your promise to me, now did you? And if they'd drunk this, they probably wouldn't have survived."
    "What?! Oh, no..." Her shoulders slump as she steals a glance my way. "I'm sorry..."
    "You don't think saying sorry is going to resolve the issue, do you?"

I know she didn't mean it, but...
    "Well..."

She's....She's actually crying. I wasn't mad to begin with, but somehow... I feel like I was punched.
    "No, this was my fault anyway."

"Might not be so lucky next time around. Silly Marian."
    "Yes..."

Once I'm outside, Collette stops me.

"What? Why sorry, Collette?"
    "If I had said something, this wouldn't have happened, right?"
    Well, technically, nothing did happen.
    "What do you mean?"

"What?!"
    "Marian's magic is way more powerful than Marjorie's, but she can't control it quite yet, so she uses that syringe to somehow manage."
    "I see..."
    "Marian didn't mean to do any harm. Please believe me."
    "Okay. I'll have to be careful too."

"What?"

"I hope you guys can still be friends!"
    "Yeah, okay..."
    Thinking about her smile when she was working... I already knew that.
    "Don't worry. I understand. Thanks."

This is too many antidotes.

Either way, I follow COllette back to the diner for lunch.

"I wouldn't have believed it when I first met you...But now I kinda see it."
    I leave her to tearing apart her meal, and pick up some bread of my own.

After that, I head quickly to the inn...

"Oh, really? What would you like?"
    "What?! You're gonna get me something?! I feel a little guilty. Then..." She grins. "I'd be happy to get any sashimi or something a monster drops."
    Well, it might be a bit impromptu... But I do have a monster's fur that I picked up somewhere.

"I really like these. I'm so happy to get something like this for my birthday. I can't wait to sell it in my shop!"
    "What?!"
    "Just kidding. Thanks, I'll take good care of it."

In the evening, I've spent all afternoon working on my forging, so I do actually get there in time for a bath.
    While I'm coming from the bath, I notice Karina exiting the girl's bath, still wet and rubbing her arms with a towel. The edges of the towel brush across a small scar on one arm.
    "....Is that from something recent?"

"I was so focused on hiding that I climbed the Sharance Tree, getting mud all over me."
    "Weren't you scared?" It's pretty big...And it's gotten bigger since then.

"Anyway, I ended up cutting myself on the way up. (It's no big deal...)"

We spend a while in the in's lobby just talking about stuff; it's fun hearing about her childhood, since mine's still mostly a blur.
    Well, that's a nice place to spend an evening, right?

The next day sees a significant harvest; probably the last I'll have this season. Summer felt like it could have lasted forever... But that wasn't the case at all, was it?

When I've finally finished putting it all away and visiting the settlement, I find Gaius on the stairs up to my house.
    "What's up?"
    "Oh, I was just taking a walk to think about something."

Sounds like her.

...And that sounds like Gaius.

Well, if there's a way I can make stuff easier, I think I will.

"That's okay. But what was it you needed?"
    "I just thought I wanted to go to Privera: The Eye."
    "What?"

"Oh, I mean... It's unusual that you'd invite me out to a dungeon."
    Still, it'll be a long, long walk... Which might be what makes it surprising, but...
    "You think?"
    "But I'm happy...That you'd invite me."

She muttered something under hear breath -- maybe? She tilted her head down, so it was hard to tell if her lips were moving.
    "What? (I thought I heard something...)"
    "Never mind. Well, let's go." She delivered that slightly faster than normal, aka, at maybe a regular person's talking speed.
    "Oh, okay."

When we came to the Lightway, which was really the first major area... She stopped.

"For you, maybe."
    The light on her face, fluttery with the edges of the leaves, makes me realize how still she is. Like a statue of ivory and silver.
    "Hey, are you OK?"
    "What? What do you mean?"
    Well, it's a long walk...What if she tires out, like before?
    "I don't want a repeat of last time."
    "Well, yes. Last time we wanted to meet monsters."

"Wait, wait, what? This is a date?"
    "Isn't that what you thought?"

I had no clue. What sort of date is this, exactly? I mean, there's dates and there's dates and there's dates, you know?
    My brain is going at 100 miles an hour.
    "Really? (Suspicious...)"
    "Of course... (I'll just leave it at that.)"
    Change of topic, change of topic...
    "Why did you want to come here? We chould have gone anywhere."
    "I just wanted to visit some place really nice."
    "Oh?"

It's true that it's nice, though... What's really striking about it to me is...
    The cherry blossom petals are falling, as if no time's passed at all since I first came here. It's the first time I've really stopped to think on it, but it fills me with a weird sense, like if I did things just right, the short life I've had here could start all over again.

"Let's go then."
    "Oh, yeah." I shake the layers of revery, like flower petals, off myself.

That familiar apple tree loomed over us -- when does it find time to bloom, I wonder?
    "All aimed at resting."
    "Yes... (Oops.)"
    We laugh.

She walks up the tree and reaches up onto her tiptoes.

Her fingers brush the skin of the apple -- too short. Another attempt, bouncing a bit on the ball of her foot, gives her just enough height to grab it... And then she turns to me, and deposits the apple in my hands.

"Th-thank you."

The sweet apple juice ends up running down my chin, and while I try to wipe it off, Karina stares off into the distance.

She hangs there.
    "What?"
    "I've been thinking about the town since then."

"But..."

I swallow my bite. If I could be changed by something like that... If I could restart time...
    What would I want to become?

The things she doesn't quite say... Seem somehow noisy, and I end up not really getting to an understanding.

"Hey, Ramza."
    "What's that?"
    She clasps her hands together and fidgets with them for a long time, drawing in big gulps of air before she speaks.

"Well sure..."

Nothing can change that.

"What is it?"
    "No, it's nothing."
    "Oh, well. Let's go. We're really close."
    "Okay..."

If I could change, if I could start over... Maybe there wouldn't be a 'me' that no one knew; that I only introduced little-by-little. Maybe...

"Yes..." I ended up trailing after her with heavy feet.
    "It took a bit of time to get here."
    "Oh, sorry..." She just smiles gently.
    "No, that's not it."
    "What?"

"I like it now."

I nod and join her in staring up into the sky.
    "No more city then?"
    "I don't want to go there anyway."
    "What?"
    She looks across the dusty field.
    "This isn't the place either. It should be around here."
    "Around here?"
    "Yeah, around here."

I look around -- there's nothing here that seems more unusual than the rest. The air is gentle and still, with a light, puffy quality of Spring. After a while, Karina speaks again, counting something off on her fingers.

Her face goes red, and for a moment, I think... I think I know where she might be going.

"By the way, I never paid you back."
    "What?"
    She turns back to me.
    "Ramza. You're the reason I got here. Not to this place, but... (Oh, you get the idea.)"

She says 'thank you' in a way that tells me what she really means; it's not just ordinary gratitude, like you'd find picking up a lost object, or running an errand for someone. But a sort of purer feeling, like something crystalized and rarified...It's a sort of gratitude I understand pretty well: a gratitude of the soul.
    It's something that can only be called a form of love.
    "Karina..."

I turn away, trying to find what to say. The air's gone heavy with expectation, but... But...
    There it is again: the knowledge that, as far as we've gone, I'm still holding back.

I open my mouth; air rushes in, air rushes out. Everything in me tightens and waits for me to say something -- to say anything.
    "But..."

I shut my mouth, and I walk a few feet farther away. Why can't I say what I really want to say? To come clean, to be clean? to tell the whole truth, to be whole?
    My knuckles are white.

"Karina. Um --"
    One shot, Ramza. If you can't tell her it right, and right now, then maybe you'll lose everything you've gained, and she'll never trust you again.
    No pressure.

crunch
    Wait, what was that?!
    I look around. An orc steps out of the brush, axe in hand, and slowly creeps...

Right towards Karina.
    "Karina, behind you!"

All she can do is look about vaguely, having not heard any of that.
    "What?!"
    All while he raises his axe. Time slows down. The fall of a petal onto her hair seems to take an eternity -- I do not breathe.

I change.

I charge, and everything happens in a single second -- the petals hit the ground, birds chirp, my head, his chest, my elbow, the underside of his gut, dust rises and blinds...
    And he retreats, knocked away as suddenly as he came.

Everything feels very still, a chill creeping up my back.

Well.
    That at least gets me...somewhere.

"Sorry, Karina." It's oddly easy to think of what to say now that, well, there's nothing really to say. "I never told you, but I'm half-monster."

I shift back like I'm shrugging off a coat.

"..."
    "Karina..."

I do not look at her; I still quite can't. I mean, I didn't even really tell her.
    "I'm sorry I didn't..."

She snaps her fingers and laughs.

"Huh...?"
    I finally face her. She doesn't look hurt at all.

"Illusions?"
    "That's right. People disappear or transform. Don't you see the opportunity?"
    "What? For what?" Anyway, it's not an illusion!

When did she turn into Sakuya?

"But..." She blushes and looks away."If you get busy with that, you won't have time for me. (I don't want that...)"
    "Karina..." I think of pointing out that I don't really want to be so, um, exposed... But I wasn't expecting that reaction at all. "You don't mind? Even if I'm like this."
    "I was surprised... (But...)"

I say it with all the sincerity of my soul. I think that, if I had the choice, I might stay here like this, thanking her -- thanking everyone I've told so far -- for hours. Thank you. Thank you.
    It's the most complete feeling I know.

"(For now anyway.)"
    I'm right by her mouth. Of course I heard that...This time.

Well, all the same... By the time we seperate, she's pretty embaressed, and leaves without much ado, stuttering something about work.

Maybe it's been longer than I thought.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

That was... kind of anti-climactic. Still cute, but anti-climactic.

Also, I don't think a bipedal wooly is faster than a human.

I personally love getting Failed Dishes as gifts. They're often high-level, meaning they make great ammunition. (Also, I love any game in which the previous statement about food items makes sense.)
    I just noticed Forte throwing a failed dish at an enemy. Well, time to start saving up any Disastrous Dishes I find... I guess I'm guaranteed one per year, though I threw away the one Forte gave me this year. >_> They're not too rare in treasure chests though.
    My Steam profile

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

That was... kind of anti-climactic. Still cute, but anti-climactic.

Also, I don't think a bipedal wooly is faster than a human.

I just noticed Forte throwing a failed dish at an enemy. Well, time to start saving up any Disastrous Dishes I find... I guess I'm guaranteed one per year, though I threw away the one Forte gave me this year. >_> They're not too rare in treasure chests though.
    Look, who am I to judge? If he says he's faster, he's faster. Probably just a ball of muscle under that fluff.

I saved them all up and used them primarily for one particularly obnoxious room in Runa Prana (Is that what it's called? It's been, like, a while.)

By the way, anyone interested in hearing the dulcet tones of my voice (JK), I'll be doing a stream other than my usual Mondays-at-7-Ish (Central) stream in a few seconds, showing off one of my favorite games, 999. Checkit.
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-08-19 at 10:15 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I saved them all up and used them primarily for one particularly obnoxious room in Runa Prana (Is that what it's called? It's been, like, a while.)
    Yeah, after someone said that Ragnarok has instant-death attacks, and hearing that Rune Prana in general is a difficulty spike, I decided to save 'em for the Sharance Maze and Rune Prana bosses.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-08-19 at 08:17 PM.
    My Steam profile

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't need them too much for that... Just this one stupid room. So stupid. Hate it.

But enough about that!

Chapter 38: Fine Print
    Spoiler
    Show

I headed back into town, feeling sort of nostalgic.

"To train in the various world cuisines?"
    "No! To EAT the various world cuisines!"
    "Guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree after all..."

While I'm in town, I buy a new Longsword; I don't use them often, but it's nice for when you want a bit more power than a short sword.

Collecting my breads...

And I got home in time to bring everything in time for Karina to come pick it up... But she seemed a little lost in thought. Well, after today, I'm not sure I'd blame her; I'm not entirely sure whether or not to change back myself.
    In the end, I don't, and I end up asking "What's on your mind?"

"How so?"
    "It always seemed like Mom was too busy with the store for me, but... She would always be there when I was in trouble. (I have to thank her, too.)"

"Well, it's not like I asked her. (But I am grateful...)"

There wasn't much left to say, and aside from cleaning out my storage box a little, I didn't have much to do, either.

The next day started off sort of soft and rainy -- the end of summer seemed to be a wave of stormy days, as the heat and the humidity moved towards brief storms, rolling across the day.

Luckily, my mail was dry.

A bunch of people were gathered in the front of the Diner as I entered.

Collette practically waved. Everyone stared at me expectantly.
    "Umm... What is this...?"

"I sure did! I said eat my food!"
    "That's not enough." Blaise shook his head very slowly. "I'm sorry, Ramza. Today is Collette's exam."
    "Exam?"
    "Yes. I'll see if she's ready or not."
    "What?!" This is sort of a momentous occaison, isn't it?
    "The topic is 'food for the person who is most important to you.'"
    Wait... You mean... me?

"Ramza, you'll be eating this meal."
    What?

"..." I tried to look away from Collette's flushed face. Rusk was hiding up on the staircase, and...
    "Huh? Why is Sherman here?"

"I-I see..."
    "I called him. He's just watching." Blaise turned, his soft expression gone grave. "Now then, Collette."
    "Okay."

"Let's begin."

Collette retreated to the kitchen and busied herself. She scurried about, moving across her various pots for a while, as warm smells started curling their way across the diner.

"Okay then, Ramza. If you would."

"Alright, here I go."

I take a first bite; it's not too spicy, but it does have a pleasant kick to it.
    I'm not a curry person, but it really is very tasty, and I think there's a satisfying sense of layers to the flavor of the curry.

And I can tell how hard Collette worked on this, too.
    "It's great! It's really good."
    "Really?!" She bounces up and down a bit, looking back and forth between her father and I expectantly.

He does not look half as pleased; he doesn't look like anything.
    "Sherman."

So he was here for a reason.
    "I haven't been waiting at all! Not waiting!"
    "Sherman will be eating my dish. Try this." He produces a dish and lays it out in front of Sherman, whose mouth splits into a still totally unsettling grin.

"...?"
    Collette watches, her expression almost frozen on her face.

"Up the hatch!"
    ...That one didn't even make sense as a phrase.

"Collette, there's still something that you are missing. Watch Sherman."
    "Huh...?"

His entire world has narrowed to that plate. Everything begins and ends there, and he digs into it like there's nothing he'd rather be doing.

"Yum yum yum yum..."
    "That's some pace..."

Even Colette looked surprised.

The plate was so clean that it practically shone.
    "Slurrrrrp. Chef! I'm totally full! More! More!"

And Collette understood what her father had meant to show.

"Collette. Do you see?"

She looked down at the hard-crafted, still mostly full, dish of curry rice in front of me, hard frustration on her face.
    "Why is it so different?!"
    To be fair to her, I mean, it's not like I'm capable of liking food as much as Sherman does.
    But it's not like she was asking me. She looked up at her father.
    "Do I need to grow up to become a great chef?"

He shook his head, but the lines around his mouth and eyes were soft.
    "I think you've been misunderstanding me, Collette."
    "Huh...?"

Is...Is that where she got worried about her size? That it'd make her a better chef?
    "Character...?"

"Because he was short, just as you are. It doesn't effect your cooking skills. You haven't tried to understand Ramza's heart at all."

"Blaise..."
    It's not like I'm, um, the most accessable, and it really isn't --
    She sucks in breath of air, drawing herself up as tears spring into her eyes.

She dashes through the restaurant before I can say anything, thundering up the stairs.

Rusk must have been watching this whole time; they both freeze; it's the sort of impasse that happens when everyone wants to say something, no one wants to say anything, and they're all trying to figure out how to get out of the moment.

In the end, she just runs past, leaving Rusk reaching after her.

"Collette..."
    "Thank you for coming, Ramza."
    "Blaise... Collette is..." She's trying so hard.
    "Collette will be fine. It's something that she must overcome herself." He followed her path up the stairs with his eyes, and heaving a little sigh, he turned back to me. "I'm sure I'll rely on you again, Ramza. Thank you in advance."
    "Blaise..."

Well. That was awkward.

"Summer vegetables, huh... What if I used...?"
    "Please grow something normal."
    I better try and save up something good, too.

About midway through the day, a large storm kicked up.

So I decided to spend some time seeing what there was to see inside the Sharance Tree. It's like a large forested area, a maze of twitsty passageways all alike.
    I thought I'd try taming one of these wolves, but no dice.

Also, at the end, this literal dragon...guard. I guess he's no a dragon of any real note. He was pretty tough...

But not exactly hard to deal with.

My best reward for exploring the place was a Mental Supplement, which is nice, but not great.

Afterwards, I made a new pendant...

Which apparently reduces damage from water magic, which might be handy on Vale River. Not going to be my daywear, but nice.

The storm did damage my crops some, but it's about the end of the season, so it's not a big concern.

The next day was vegetable festival, and that's about anyone had to talk about.

Ummm, well." Pia twisted this way and that.
    "Well? How about something that caught your interest?"

"Huh...?"
    ...This I gotta see.

"it's very avant-garde. Ha ha." I'm not sure tomatoes should be that color...

"For your vegetable?!"
    What is she picturing?

Is a turnip supposed to have a face?

"Ah! It talked?!"
    Huh. Pia was right.

I wonder...Do I have to enter a summer vegetable? Because I have a good cabbage with me...Nah, I should play it straight.

Alright, let's hand over this tomato!

"Now, I'll be judging your Tomato. It's the last submission." He examines it, first. "This is quite seasonal. It fits the contest. This must have taken a lot of effort. It's a tricky crop I appreciate that."
    It's a tomato. He cuts it open and takes a piece to bite.
    "Hmm, not bad! I can taste the love. Wonderful!"

"The winner of the Summer Crop Festival is..."

"Congratulations, everyone! All of the winners, don't forget your prizes! Until next time!"
    Booyah!
    "Thank you very much!"

The recipe breads never end.
    I mean, they do literally, and I am left breadless.

Of course, one thing I am not without, and that's mail.

...As a reward for not submitting a model to the contest, I'll go help her out.

"I mean, I'm your only assistant, aren't I --"

She declared dramatically, spreading her arms so that her cape fluttered in the humid air.

She gestured after every couple of words.
    "It's hard for me to understand when you break up your speech."

"Basically! I want a ring! A riiiiiiiiiiing!"
    She's all but throwing a tantrum, she's so into it.
    "O-Okay. Well, could you show me this bronze statue?"

The smile on her face takes on a painted, artificial quality.
    "What...? Oh... well... I haven't finished it, yet..."
    "Is that right? Then what kind of ring do I need to bring...?"

"Well...Then..." She fidgeted in place, her face slowly getting redder across the bridge of her nose and cheeks.

"Why are you getting all red?"
    "J-Just bring it to me! Now go! My Assistant!"
    "Yes..."

My search for a ruby took me pretty much the whole way through the desert...

Even fighting these things, which was...suprisingly easy. They used to be terrifying.

I eventually get one, though...

And whip up a quick and easy ring.

"By the way, what about the bronze statue...?"
    "Oh...Umm... I broke it." She shrugs.
    "You broke it?!"
    "With my bare-hands."
    "Your bare-hands?!"
    Can...Can you even do that to Bronze...?

"Is that right...?"
    I think I have been duped.
    "That's how it is!"

"Yes! That's it! That's for the best!" She slips the ring onto her finger.
    "Well...That's fine," I say as she turns her hand this way and that, so that the ruby catches the light.
    "So that's the case. Here, this is for you."
    "Ah... Thank you..."
    I feel like this is in violation of my contract. If I had one.

She could have just asked for a ring for herself.

There really was no statue at all.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

12. - Top - End - #312

So Ramza gave Daria a ruby ring, and Daria gave Ramza a sapphire ring. ....I have to wonder if that means the two are secretly married in some weird elven way.

I bet the reason Collette entered a talking turnip is it's the only vegetable weird enough for her to not eat before submissions began. Also, poor Collette. You'd think Blaise could've coached Ramza to ham it up a little bit, but I guess that would be missing the point. Still, poor girl. Forced to admit her crush and then shown she doesn't know him as well as she'd like.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

I bet the reason Collette entered a talking turnip is it's the only vegetable weird enough for her to not eat before submissions began.
    Marian's the one who had the talking turnip.

Aaand I bought the other three games. Because... curiosity, mainly. *shrug* Not expecting much out of 1 or 2. Haven't started 1, but I started playing 2 and I can see just how many changes RF3 made (I think 3 is close to as good as 4, but the difference between 2 and 3 is way bigger). Oh, and the voice acting is worse than I thought. As for Tides, it's shown good production values (Frontier annoyed me with LOADING SCREENS), there's potential with the "event conversation for every love point" system (I'm just at 1 heart with a few characters right now), but it feels like it's trying to be Kingdom Hearts: Wind Waker and going about it the wrong way. Also, I miss the 2D art. =/
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-09-07 at 04:53 PM.
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #314

Marian's the one who had the talking turnip.
    *Re-reads* That makes so much more sense now.

Having only played 4 and Frontier, yeah.... Frontier has its fair share of loading screens. I've been tempted to play it again, but it really requires that you carve out a good block of time for it if you want to progress very far without forgetting where you were. That's true for me, anyway.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Having only played 4 and Frontier, yeah.... Frontier has its fair share of loading screens. I've been tempted to play it again, but it really requires that you carve out a good block of time for it if you want to progress very far without forgetting where you were. That's true for me, anyway.
    I've found that even though the days go by a bit faster in Tides than Frontier, it still takes a lot of days to get anything done. I noticed that in Frontier, too, pretty much every girl besides Mist takes a long time to get heart levels up, and without an escape spell it's hard to get far into Whale Island. In Tides, I have an escape spell, but the Earth Spirit Shrine is... blargh.

And I've learned how much of a quilt RF4's soundtrack is. So many tracks from 1, 2, and Tides, and at least one from 3.
    My Steam profile

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Finally caught up on this thread. That was a good pair of updates. Ramza is becoming quite the player.
    Made the English version of Moemon Leaf Green. LP by Deme
    Part of the Super Robot Wars GC Translation Team Complete!
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

He is a fine player in a game no one informed him he was participating in.

Chapter 39: Summer Winding Down
    Spoiler
    Show

When I check my mailbox the next morning...

I find that things are not OK with Marian.

On my way there, as a light rain starts to fall, I run into Dariah.

"OKay, sounds reasonable." Besides, there are fields in the forest.
    "And I won't need to plot to secretly paint your field any more."
    "What were you thinking of?!"

I take a little stop by the blacksmith on my way, since it's convenient, and I don't have much reason to be heading down this way for most of the day.
    "Morning, Gaius."
    "Morning. Hey, you know it's been almost two months since you came here, huh?"
    "Yeah, I guess it has been... But you've been paying attention?" Honestly, given how long he can work at the forge in one go, I'm surprised time doesn't run together for him.

"I think being able to focus on that, including everything else, is what happiness is."

"Yes." Hearing things put bluntly makes me a little embaressed, "Let's keep on being friends in the future."

I head to the Apothecary with a slightly concerned heart. Everything else might be ok, but it sounds like she might not be.

"Um..."
    "Is it about Marian?"
    "Uh, yes...The letter got me a bit worried."
    "She's off to the Sol Terrano Desert. I asked her to go collect some ingredients I needed."
    "I see..."
    After I've looked at the floor for a second, Marjorie clears her throat and says, gently,
    "Go after her if you wish."
    "What?"
    "She wants to be alone, but she wants to be followed, too. Especially by you." She gives a hearty little cackle at that. "Go on now."
    "Y-yes ma'am."

I run off towards the desert. I guess it makes sense that she wants me to find her, if she sent me that letter, right?

As I start running through the desert, not far from the entrance, I spot something around the edge of the rock. Something fallen in the sand.

It's definitely her, unlike my first hope...And she's not moving.

I run up to her side.

You're not supposed to move someone when you don't know how injured they might be, right?
    "..."
    She looks like she's breathing, and I can find a pulse... But when I shout, she doesn't move.
    "There's no response... Curses! Anyway, I'll need to do something about the monsters...!"

Luckily, for me, cutting them down to size takes just a second before I'm jogging back to her.

Looking at her again, the mud on her clothes from the rain, a small puddle forming in the shadow of her body...She looks so small.
    "You don't look hurt, but..." Should I move her? How do you recognize a concussion again? When someone's not concious?

Her eyelids flutter open and her head, just a little, lifts from the dirt.

Oh, thank goodness.
    "I got all the monsters, so everything's going to be okay!"
    We have plenty of time.
    "I...I accidentally took some paralyzing medicine..."

"...I'll carry you back."
    I take her up in my arms -- she's a little cold from the mud and wet sand on her -- and bring her home.
    All the way, she feels very still and light, like her cape is heavier than she is, soaking with rain and wet sand-mud. She's always overwhelmingly energetic, so I've never noticed how frail her arms are.
    How can you be so powerful and so small?

By the apothecary's bed, Marjorie leans over her granddaughter and examines her body carefully.
    "There you go. It'll be out of you soon."
    "Oh, thank goodness..."

We both breathe a sigh of relief.
    "Um, Marjorie."
    "What is it?"
    "Well...Why did you take Marian's syringe?"
    "Heard it from Collette? Well, this syringe is special."
    "I see."
    For one, I'm not sure it's in any way a syringe.

Which makes it make less sense to take it, doesn't it?
    "That's why I've asked Gaius to check in on her."
    "Then those ingredients I delievered to Gaius..."
    For Marjorie's most treasured thing...
    "Yes. The syringe was damaged. I got the materials to repair it, so I gave it to him."
    "I see..."

So it wasn't a test or a punishment.

She smiles warmly down at Marian, asleep on the bed.
    "But I can't complain too much."
    "Marjorie..." I laugh.

On the bed, Marian squirms like a dog having a dream.

Eventually, her eyes open and focus on us.
    "Hey, Grandma. And...Ramza?"
    "Anything hurt? Marian."
    "No..." As if her senses were still sort of slotting into place, she suddenly looks about. "Huh? Where am I...?"
    "You're at the apothecary. Just stay still."

"Ok..."
    "Now. I'll get you some rice porridge."

I could go, but... I feel bad about that. Even if she's trouble sometimes...I kind of want to protect her.
    "Hey, Marian. Do you want anything?"
    "What?" Her eyes widen. What, did she expect me to leave? "Not really...
    ..."

"What?"

...Yeah. I can do that. "Okay..."

At first, sitting next to her, I don't quite know what to say. I don't think she wants me to say anything.
    "How did you end up taking paralyzing medicine?"
    "Well...You know... These things happen..."
    "...Maybe to you, Marian," I say with a chuckle. "You know, I bet if you could find a way to figure out what something actually does without anyone drinks it, you could make some really impressive stuff."... For coating weapons with.
    "That's ...That's a great idea, Ramza." She smiles just a bit.
    I hold her hand for a bit, every now and then asking if the feeling's come back any (It has not.)
    The sound of the rain on the apothecary's roof creates a sense of enclosure, a gentle background hum like a lullabye. The world outside's just a faint grey glow, barely visible through drops of rain on the windowpane...
    It's all so relaxed, and the air smells like herbs...
    That to the sound of the rain...

The bed is empty. That's the first thing that makes me realize that time has passed.

"Where's Marian...?"

A cheerful voice rings out behind me.

Marian comes dashing up, in high spirits and at high speeds.
    "You look better."
    "Yes. I finally get it. I know what I'm lacking."

She declares with her arms spread wide as if presenting the concept to the world.
    "Huh...?"
    "It's about quantity! Quantity of action and care, not quality!"
    That does not sound good. Or effective. Isn't the line between medicine and poison quantity? (Among other things.)

"My suringe needs to be rapid-fire!" She looks around. "Huh? Where is it, by the way?"
    "Well, good luck with that..."
    I guess she's bounced back now...

Ha ha. I'm not going to touch that.
    "This can only end badly..."

I find Sofia on my way out.
    "How's everyone been doing lately, Sofia?"

"Evelyn even threatened to poison Father's food!"
    What...What's the opposite of poisoning?
    "I absolutely detest my family!"
    "Uh...I certainly hope that was opposite-speak!"
    This kingdom doesn't have any sort of social services, right? Because I feel like a young Sophia might have gotten into trouble there.

When I go to head up to the restaurant, I run into Collette on the road. She sort of jolts into freezing, like she's startled to see me.

"It's OK. Blaise knows, too." About the other day, I mean. I'm not really sure what to say. "Everyone's counting on you, Collette. Good luck."

"Ha ha, there's the Collette I'm used to seeing."

Hearing that, she gets a big grin on her face, and as I turn to walk away, I hear:

"Uh, down? Down where?"
    "Down in an eating contest, duh!" She says, making a proud declaration. "...Brings back memories, right?"
    "Yep! You haven't changed a bit!"
    Well...Maybe not 'not a bit'.
    "Hey, you weren't...looking at me just now, were you?"
    ...Oh. Have I invoked height concerns?
    "Uh...not really!"

Ha ha ha. She really hasn't changed that much, just yet.
    Still...I think everyone I know's changed some.
    "I wasn't jealous back then, and I'm not jealous now."
    Even me.
    "...Okay, maybe a little."

I've got the metabolism to eat an absurd amount of bread everyday -- I'd call that enviable in its own right!

Since the last time was so easy, I decided to head deeper into the Sharance Maze. Why is there a beautiful forest full of clearings inside my tree? I do not know.

Why does it have tower-like golems twice my size? Excellent question to which I do not know the answer.

But it does have a room full of lovely chests -- most don't include much, but...

Including this pretty good spear. It tanks my defense, but it might be fun to try...

That said, I'm not very graceful with it, and I think if I run into something big here, I'd want Durandel with me.

...So of course I do find something big. But I -do- have Durandel with me.

He's a big, clunky fellow, whose main attacks seem to all involve just raw hitting or slashing the earth, letting the rocks...

or shockwaves...

Or slashes through the air take care of me.

Eventually, I hit him so hard I'm a real concern, and have to spend the rest of the fight running and circling, just trying to get out of the way of his increasingly frantic hits.
    It's just a matter of needling him down...

Until he eventually collapses, leaving a thing of his...uh, chest hair, behind.

Ew.

The next day doesn't have really fascinating mail, but I figure there's no harm in picking a job at random.

...That... Is a large egg.

Oh, really? I should give him some juice, at least.

I run home and pop a few tomato into my blender, so there is something to give him. I feel a little bad, but I'm pretty sure no one said anything in advance. Maybe birthdays aren't a big deal to Univir.

"Oh." I guess I am totally wrong.
    "Happy birthday, then! Kuruna tipped me off, so I got you something."
    "For me? Thank you. I feel so blessed when I recieved a birthday present."

With that nicely wrapped up, I head into the human town...When I notice Karina walking down the way. Actually, there's something I'm wondering about.

"So?"
    "I'm over it."
    All's well that ends well, I guess.

I eventually find Evelyn on her way to the Inn.
    "Yeah. You need some clothing material?"
    "Yeah. Looks like I'm out at the moment. Or out of what I need, anyway!"
    "That seems to happen a lot with you." But who could stock up in fish bones? "What do you need, exactly?"
    "Scrap Metal."
    "Scrap Metal?!"
    She looks at me with an honest puzzlement that feels really out of place here!
    "Why are you yelling?"
    "Well..." That might have been a little loud. "Sometimes, I just yell for no reason. It's kinda how I roll."[/color]
    S-she's not going to tell Sofia about this, will she?
    "You're weird."
    "I'm really not that..."
    She giggles.
    "You must be weird, or you wouldn't have come here."
    ...I'm not sure I can argue with that, so I just laugh, slowly rolling into a sigh.
    "Yeah, it's just a personality quirk, I guess." I try to change the subject. "So I just need to bring a scrap metal?"

"Yeah..."
    I sigh, and go off to mine it real quick.

"No problem!"
    She was carrying under her arm...Something that looked sort of frilly and sparkly.

"Yep! Just needed to add the final touches! Scrap Metal!" She held it experimentally in front of the crotch of the pant, like a codpiece or something.
    "So I take it that's an outfit for guys?"
    "Absolutely. Men need something testosterone-laden to really make their outfits 'pop.' I focus on female fashion, of course, but I dabble in male fashion as well."
    "Well, it's good you're an equal-opportunity offender, then."

"Thanks! I take a lot of pride in my work!"
    Ahahahaha.
    "So, this outfit's for Gaius. You think it suits him?"
    "Uh...Lemee think about this."

He's my friend. Please don't humiliate him like that! ...No, I can't say it like that...
    "Hmm...It could work."
    "Wow, you really think so?! I was worried it was a little too...understated."

"Yeah, well, I don't think you need to add any more 'flavor.'"
    "Flavor? You think maybe I should add some cheesecake or peach slices?"
    I regret having learned to use words.
    "It, uh...Fine as it is. Really. Trust me."

I feel like that...could have meant more at some other point.

Poor Gaius.
    Poor, Innocent Gaius.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

One half of one year almost finished. Slow going, but that seems to be the norm with HM and RF games.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    One half of one year almost finished. Slow going, but that seems to be the norm with HM and RF games.
    To be fair, I'd be really surprised if this LP takes one in-game year, even at this pace. I intend to close it when the plot closes, and really, the main thing holding us back from blitzing through the game is these events.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

RF3's days actually go by kinda fast. Time progresses twice as quickly as in the other Rune Factory games (though I believe HM64 is at the same rate?) and also continues while indoors (but not in menus).

And the day-by-day progression also seems to be faster. I'm at 10 hearts at a point in Summer where I'd expect to be at 7 hearts in RF4 (and one of the 9-heart events seems to think it should be Fall, since I need a Fall flower).

When I pick up RF3 again, I should probably stop messing around and go fight the lions...
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-09-26 at 07:35 PM.
    My Steam profile

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

RF3's days actually go by kinda fast. Time progresses twice as quickly as in the other Rune Factory games (though I believe HM64 is at the same rate?) and also continues while indoors (but not in menus).

And the day-by-day progression also seems to be faster. I'm at 10 hearts at a point in Summer where I'd expect to be at 7 hearts in RF4 (and one of the 9-heart events seems to think it should be Fall, since I need a Fall flower).

When I pick up RF3 again, I should probably stop messing around and go fight the lions...
    Basically, yeah. It's fast to the point of almost being hectic, which is actually a thing I do like about it (of course, I also loved HM64, which was 'blink and 3 hours have passed' sometimes.) I'm deliberately holding myself back in dungeon progression and I'm at 10 hearts with all the girls.... Though I haven't been paying much attention, gift-wise, to other people, so the girls are wildly ahead.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

I apologize for the delay on this -- and on my other projects, too. I was travelling last week, and now my birthday's in a few days, so I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment.

Chapter 40: Perishable Pants
    Spoiler
    Show

"I didn't know elves were into that kinda stuff. I thought they just ate twigs and rocks."
    ...Humans are really dumb sometimes.
    Besides, Daria eats mostly dried sardines.

Eh, he just seems more chill than anything like that.

Recipe breads have been eaten...

On my way around town, I spot Pia staring out, beyond the trees.
    "What are you looking at?"
    "The sea. I can't see it from here, but... I know it's there."

"Maybe you should. I mean, if you miss it."
    She nods slowly, the little motion taking a long time, rippling something sad and lonely in her face.

I...Sort of meant, like, to visit.
    ...Is it always going to be an all-or-nothing choice? Are we always going to have to live in the town, or live in the settlement, or find your way back to where you had a paying job and who knows what else? I'm not sure I want to do only one of those things.
    "But...You know, Pia... You don't have to give up here, either. I mean, I just..." I don't know if I'd go back to my homeland. I don't really understand what a homeland really is.
    When I say that, she smiles warmly.
    "You know...you're right!"

I think I envy her, a little.

I go and consider my fall plants...

And collect a notice from the bulletin board.

"Yeah. What do you need me to investigate?"
    "Lean in close..."
    She pulls me into whispering distance, so Shino and Sakuya can't overhear.
    "Uh, okay..."

"EVELYN'S TEARS?!"
    That...
    came out louder than I intended.
    "Don't yell, you nincompoop!"
    "Ah. Sorry about that."
    This is not my day for volume control.
    "But why would you need me to investigate that?"
    "I looked into Evelyn's room the other day...And she was just bawling, tears streaming down her face in front of her workbench!"
    "Do you know what she was upset about?"

"I know. But I thought we should go around town and ask some people. Think you could help? You can be my hard-boiled private investigator!"

"Well, I'm not sure how 'hard-boiled' I am, but I'll try. Do you have any leads?" I've never been hard-boiled before...

Of all the bulletin boards, of all the towns in the world, she had to leave a notice on mine. She was a beautiful dame, a real sweetheart who reeked of old money. Trouble.

"Well, that's not much to go on."
    "Let's ask around town. Someone must know something."
    ...You know, she really has not used a lot of opposite-speak today.
    "Just don't blab that I saw Evelyn crying. Mum's the word!"
    "Sure thing. Mum's the word."

Well, let's see...We're in the inn, so I guess we'll start here.

"Hmm, now that you mention it, I haven't seen her lately."

"No, please calm down..."

"Oh! Wait, wait! Don't tell me! You'r in the middle of a passionate debate on BATHS!"
    "No even close."
    "We wanted to ask about Evelyn --"

"Can't disagree with you there."

Well, let's head out.

"I don't know! I only look at Carmen!"
    "..." That's...creepy, dude.

We head to the blacksmith's next; I though Gaius might know, but he's not here.

"No."
    "I see."

Well, there went that plan... Maybe Sherman knows something? As opposed to existing in a foor-oriented oblivion?

"Why isn't Evelyn growing Ironleaf in our garden? Is it all part of her vile plot to prevent me from sneaking in food?"
    "That's a pretty smart plan, actually."
    Like a barbed-wire fence... But I don't think she'd be crying over it over her workbench. I mean, if one pricked her, she'd be upset in the garden.

Let's see, who else could know... Maybe a regular?
    (

"Evelyn was crying in front of her workbench."
    "Huh? Is it okay just telling her?"
    "It's only Karina."
    Fair enough.
    "Well, she did mention making pants for someone. (Or so I thought...)"
    "Oh."
    Oh, no.
    "What is it, Ramza? Wait, did you --"
    "No. Do you think that's the thing Gaius ordered?"
    "The iron man?"
    "Yes. I helped gather materials with her the other day for something for him."
    "Very suspicious."
    Especially since we couldn't find him...
    "Well, let's go look for Gaius."

If he's not at the forge, then there's only one place left to look...

"He gathers materials mainly in the desert, I've noticed."
    "Then lead on."

This was easier said than done, since our search took us literally to a far corner.

...He has a name, you know.

"Huh? Oh, to see me? Well, how about we go back to my shop and talk."
    "There's no time for that!"
    "Sofia, calm down." She turns and looks at me in shock. "What are we gonna solve chatting all the way out here in the desert?"
    "...Fine. Lead the way, Iron Man."

We head back to Gaius's shop as the afternoon deepens around us.

"Well, we were just --"

Evelyn's voice interrupts us.

"Sorry for the wait. Your outfit's finally done!"

"Oh, Sofia. I didn't see you there."
    "That outfit!"
    Eeyup. Those are sparkly pants.
    "What about it!"
    "That's the same outfit I saw from before!" She turns on Gaius. "I saw her, Iron Man! She was sprawled out on her workbench, bawling her eyes out!"
    Wasn't this a secret at some point?

"Bawling...?" She thinks about it and chuckles. "Oh, yeah. I guess I was. It's because I was using Onions."
    "Onions?!" And scrap metal?

"Why would I cry over Gaius?" She shrugs. "We're good friends. Nothing more than that."

Tomorrow, Raven will ask me to help her find out why Gaius is spayed over his anvil crying.
    Poor guy.

"Anyway, I'm in a rush. I need to get this outfit to Gaius before it spoils!"
    "...What's the point of an outfit that spoils?"

Well, I guess we can head home, leaving Gaius with a broken heart and perishable pants.

"It's fine."
    "Anyway, thanks for the help. It means a lot to me. Here's a little something for your troubles."
    She lays out a chest for me before she says,
    "Well, see you later!"

"Wait, something still seems odd here..."
    But I'm saying that to her retreating back.

...What exactly does that even mean?

That evening, I turn to thinking about the next season. I've picked the bottom-left field for my fall crops, but first I need to pull up all the plants...

And till all the soil I think I'll want.

The plants can go into healing items for me, just something to work on before bed, and the coming of fall...

The next morning, I feel like it's already gotten a bit cooler.

Last season's field is looking kind of bad... But withered grass is pretty handy.

I spend a bit of the morning just planting seeds...And coming to the conclusion that I need more seeds.

And the mail says that there might be this changing of seasons, too.

"Okay..."
    This sounds... kind of serious.

We head over to the flower field anyway, though.

She starts unwrapping a little handkerchief-wrapped bundle.
    "Really?"
    "Yeah. Will you eat it?"
    "It's morning, though, isn't it?"
    "So think of it as brunch!"
    "Well, then, of course I will. Thank you."

I sit down on the grass and start trying things; it's a really interesting spread. I rarely cook food for my own sake, so having everything laid out is really surprising. But one thing sort of catches my eye...

It's a little caramelized apple shortcake, topped with an apple rose. It's so well-made, it's immediately alluring.

Collette watches me nervously. The moment I take a bite...

Something swims out at me; an old feeling, something that feels like it exists in a dream. A quiet kitchen, the air full of the smell of cooking apples and melting sugar... Someone laughing as they bat away my hand from a pan of apple slices glooping on the stove...
    In the end, I can't do anything but smile.

"Really good! It's great, Collette!"
    "Really...?"
    "Yeah, especially this!" I point to the now almost-entirely consumed cake. "It's a tricky dish, but you did it well."
    "That's right! I got a little creative with it!"

I try another of the dishes, since the cake, well, it vanished while she was talking. Mysteriously.
    "Hey, this is good too! What is it?"

We sit there, my eating lunch brunch and us just sitting and chatting.
    Before I know it...

"Great!" She pauses and looks at the now-empty handkerchief. "Listen, Ramza."
    "Yeah?"

"I didn't know anything. Nothing at all. Even when Rusk tried my food. Or when I was cooking for my exam..."
    "..." I realize that this is a moment when I just need to let her talk. After all... It feels sort of good, telling someone what you've been feeling.

I'm still a little surprised by that. And maybe I shouldn't be, but... I get used to being worried about it. And I know, one of these days...
    I'll regret showing myself.

"I really didn't think about the most important thing...Who was going to eat it?"

"I see..."
    "But! I tried this time! I really did!"

"Yeah, I know." I could really feel her concern... "It was really great." But at the same time... How much of me did she really have the choice to think about? I mean, not because of her, but... Because of me?

"Aw, now I'm blushing..."

"Collette, I'm sure Blaise will be proud."

"Yes...I'm gonna try again!"
    "Okay..."

It's only fair; she did give me, did show me, something personal... Even if that meant holding onto herself so hard.
    I take a deep breath.

"Collette..." All you have to do is walk to the edge of the cliff and jump. I tasted her food -- I believe in her. "Thanks for motivating me."

"I don't want to hide this. So just look."

"What? What?"

Somehow, it feels like it's gotten easier, making this leap.

"What's going on?? What the...?!"
    Did I... make the wrong choice? She seems pretty freaked.

No, just explain it.
    "I have a secret. I'm half-monster."
    "..." She stares at me for a long time.
    "Are you scared...?"

"Heh...hehehe..."

She's...laughing.
    "Scared of what? I mean..."
    "?"
    "You're smaller than me."

...I realize that she is entirely right. I probably only come up to her chin.

"But I'm happy. Thanks for telling me."

"Of course!"
    I guess the wind really is changing.

"Thanks! See ya, Ramza!"

And I think I still need to be cautious -- I still know that day is coming, in the back of my heart...
    But it wasn't today. That feels like something important.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #323

.....Poor, poor Gaius. To think, all this time I thought his and Evelyn's relationship was "one crushing, the other clueless," but with Evelyn crushing on Gaius. Ah, mutual oblivion. Brings back memories. It's definitely two-sided, though. I've heard of crying onto a letter to mail to a boyfriend but Evelyn just took it to the next level.

Also, I think Colette just achieved an epic cooking victory by evoking fond childhood memories in a guy who's been amnesiac for half a year. After an accomplishment like that I guess anything short of showing her his Wooly side would've been downright unappreciative on Ramza's part.

One last thing: I can't help but notice Blaise's name could easily be Engrish-ified (if that's a word) into Braise as in the cooking technique.

Edit for one more one last thing: Happy early birthday Deme!
    Last edited by Toric; 2015-10-15 at 07:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, I thought you'd already done that request for Sofia...
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #325

One last thing: I can't help but notice Blaise's name could easily be Engrish-ified (if that's a word) into Braise as in the cooking technique.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intent. I noticed a weapon called "Silent Grave", a long-bladed spear that inflicts a condition that prevents spellcasting.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Let me join in on wishing you a happy birthday. And there's another girl that knows Ramza's secret.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Not a spoiler
    Show

Marvelous Entertainment won't just sit on the IP. Since they rehired a few of the most important devs, the possibilities are good, but we'll have to see.
    My Steam profile

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

.....Poor, poor Gaius. To think, all this time I thought his and Evelyn's relationship was "one crushing, the other clueless," but with Evelyn crushing on Gaius. Ah, mutual oblivion. Brings back memories. It's definitely two-sided, though. I've heard of crying onto a letter to mail to a boyfriend but Evelyn just took it to the next level.

Also, I think Colette just achieved an epic cooking victory by evoking fond childhood memories in a guy who's been amnesiac for half a year. After an accomplishment like that I guess anything short of showing her his Wooly side would've been downright unappreciative on Ramza's part.

Edit for one more one last thing: Happy early birthday Deme!
    Maybe. Maybe. The onions complicate it a bit, but I hope those kids work it out.

I think my official headcanon (and therefore LP canon) is that he generally gets a little bit more than shown, but not much. That memory was likely there since the end of the first dungeon, but he didn't know because he never thought about it. Still massively spotty.

Thanks!

Marvelous Entertainment won't just sit on the IP. Since they rehired a few of the most important devs, the possibilities are good, but we'll have to see.
    I've got hopes, but I don't know how I anticipate a revival turning out. These questions are always tricky.

Chapter 41: Freedom Cloud
    Spoiler
    Show

My life is a cold and merciless thing.

On the way to face the music, though, I run into Sofia.

"What is?"
    "I used to not feel anything towards you. But now I loathe you vociferously!""

...What...
    Is the opposite of all of that?
    "I...think that means you like me a lot? I hope?"

I'm not going to get too lost in thinking about that... I think.

Not when I have bigger things to worry about.
    "I don't suppose you're planning on trying some more dangerous medicine?"
    Today's medicine is on anyother level! I even had grandma look at it!"
    "Then I can relax a little..." I breathed a comfortable sigh of relief. Before she gets any ideas, though, I shoot her a look. "But I won't take it, you know."

"Oh, thank you."

When she hands me the cup of tea, I notice it has a familiar smell...Maybe its brewed with a local plant?
    It's only as I'm drinking it that I start to feel it... A pleasant, floaty feeling in my fingers and toes, like they belong to somebody else.

"Well now, let's go find us a guinea pig!"

Comes falling out of my mouth, cheerful and perky, without my having agreed to it at all.

"It's already kicked in...?!" is much more deliberate, the shock powering me through what feels like a verbal haze.
    "My grandma said that medicine is highly effective!"

Is this even... medicine?

Somehow, I'm not worried about that. After all, I know exactly what to do <3

Why was I even upset?

"Did you need something from me?"

Ooh, this is a plate!
    "Oh, I hate these! Fried S. Flounder!"
    "Up the hatch!"

"Alright, next!"

And then we ran into my dear friend Raven! She's so cute, but shhh. I don't want to go around thinking that.
    Very secret.

For some reason, she looks worried when I get near. (Somewhere inside me, I feel like I know the answer. Maybe that's the past? The past is dead, silly) Can't imagine why <3

"What are you --"
    "Gotcha!"

Marian made the shot! And then she shot with it!
    "Nothing happened...?"
    "Now, to the next target!"

"Well, don't mind if I do!
    "Oh, wait, I changed my mind! I don't like pain!"
    A sharp sound fills the air. But does that matter?
    "Owwwwwwww-- ... It doesn't hurt? Why? Did I level up?"
    "Now, next, next!"
    I don't have to worry about anything.

Someone says. He sounds nice. He should think of himself as nice, you know that? He worries too much.
    "Ha ha... I lost track of time fishing, and ended up staying up late."
    Oh, that was my voice, wasn't it? Silly me.

"What?"
    "Toss it in!"

I can tell anyone anything. I'm held back by nothing. (Somewhere inside me, there's a little nervous feeling.)

"W-What are you doing?!"
    "Now, let's move on to the next one!"
    "Hey, nothing happened!"

I am a glorious freedom cloud <3

"By the way, why are you holding me so tight?"
    Oh, look at that. My hands are on her shoulder. How did those get there?
    "Colleeeeette!"
    "Marian?! Why are you here?!"

"No...!"

"Nooooooo!"

We all pause for a second.
    "Wait, that didn't do anything."
    "Alright, next!"
    "Huh...?"

Alright! Back we go! <3

"Here's a cup of tea."

It's only when I'm sipping the tea that I realize we're in a different room of the apothecary. No, not only that -- we've been wandering town for the last hour!

No, not only that...

She made me do her bidding again!
    "If you would just agree to let yourself help my science, I wouldn't have to do this."
    "It shouldn't involve strange medicines and forced injections!"
    "Anyway! I want results!"

I sigh.
    "When will you know? The results of today, I mean."
    "Umm, I weakened the medicing. So maybe 30 days?" She laughs nervously.
    "Ummm...How is that different from letting it heal naturally?"
    "...
    Gotta start somewhere."

"You're very optimistic."

"You don't think this is my job, do you?"
    My hands still feel numb.
    "Thanks again!"
    "You aren't listening."

Oh, well. For my troubles, I get a magic ring (not better than my best gear) and the hope that she learns to stop solving all her problems by slipping dubious substances into my tea.

Karina asks me when I walk by -- she's roused from a nap in the square by my footsteps.
    "Sometimes..."
    It's all I know, but it's not all I know I know. It's all I remember I know, maybe...
    And I don't think that's a state of affairs that can last forever.

Who knows what's waiting for me? I need to find it in me to finish this job soon.
    And that's not going to be easy.

It's a slow day for recipe breads.

I spend the afternoon trying to tidy up a field.

In the evening, I decided to go out and see about those island-dwellers in the Privera forest.

Well this is...Not what I was expecting.

The rocks, too. I was not expecting to be pelted by man-sized boulders hurtling at me with hurricane for--

...That did not go well.

Oh, well. I know when I'm beaten back to bed.

The next day, it sounds like Sofia needs some help. Or doesn't. One of those is false, but only one requests a letter.

Conventiently, she's even headed my way when I set out.

"Yeah. What do you need?"
    "I want you to help spread a rumor!"
    "A rumor? What about?"
    "Evelyn's clothes!" She looks worried and adds, "Nobody believes me, no matter how many times I say they're elegant!"

Well, that's...
    Everyone knows what you mean when you say 'elegant' like that.
    "Sofia, you're actually pretty honest, aren't you?"
    "So I had a thought. If people misunderstand me because of my habit, then I can use you as the messenger!"
    "Well, I'm not sure if this'll work or not --"

I exist to be rolled over now.
    "Oh, and we only need to talk to girls! Evelyn usually only makes women's clothing."
    "Uh, okay."

I sigh. This feels...like a weird request.

I wave Carmen down when she comes up from the lake, but before I can say anything, Sofia starts her pitch.

Diplomatic, she is not.
    "What?"

"Then you should come to my home. Evelyn is never picky about anyone wearing her clothes." Sofia pauses and fidgets. "In the good sense."

We head quickly over to the blacksmith's shop, but before anyone can do anything more than call out to her, Raven shuts it down with:

"She knows what you're going to say..."

Well, let's hit up the flower shop.

"Evelyn made a new outfit."

Sofia sighs.
    "It's even more plain than ever."
    "Is that right? I hope it sells."
    She says, in a perfectly neutral and pleasant tone, like always.
    "I see she's not planning on buying it..."

On our way out from failure #3, we spot Karina lounging near the flower arbor.

"That's, um, well --"
    "I want you to come see Evelyn's clothes."
    Karina shrugs.
    "Hmmm, well...(I guess I'll ditch work.)"
    Why am I even here?

"You can't skip work."

Well, uh...To the square?

"Hmmm... As long as it doesn't use fish."
    "That doesn't seem likely..." One hopes. We both turn to Sofia.
    "...It doesn't use them."

Sofia looks downward and considers the current of the day. We probably already hit up her likeliest source of customers.

We head back to Sofia's House/Evelyn's shop to find...

Not even Evelyn. The shop is likely not open.

"Hmmm..." Sofia's little grunt is almost, but not quite, a sigh.
    "What's the problem?"

"What do you mean?"
    "Evelyn's clothes are the problem. But here's the deal."

She walked into Evelyn's shops, surrounded by the eclectic range of clothes. Her shoulders slumped a little.

"I didn't understand her aesthetic either."
    In the mirror, I see her face, examining herself with a sort of sad nostalgia.
    "Could you elaborate?"

"But since I was young and didn't know any better, I told her I didn't want them."

She crosses in front of me, her face scrunched up with sadness, not quite crying -- but the echo of a crying face.

"I'm sorry."
    She took a deep breath, filling her shoulders back up, gaining the composure to her expression again.

"If I did that, I was hoping I could somehow take back those words."
    So, all this time... All of that opposite-speak... Is a choice.

To reveal her real feelings -- but without revealing them all the way. To comfort people. To know who loves her.

She nods.
    "I realized something though."

A bit, huh...
    "I think everybody understands. And I think they like Evelyn." But you can't wear turnips. Sorry.

And...For what she was saying...

They're great sisters.

"I didn't say that. It's not necessary!"

"Yes. I'll come again."
    Because I think I get it.

It might be hard, but I think I understand, well, wanting to be understood. And wanting to hide what you really want people to see most.
    Truth is a funny thing like that.

Maybe I'll work on that.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It seems like everything is starting to wrap up. Especially that small list of requests.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the first and smaller list of requests is the bulletin board, which became relatively empty a while ago...
    That said, there's very few of these events left before we can move on -- just Sofia's (which is I think about 2 away) Marian's, and Daria's. Then we can finally get back to the plot! Excellent times will be had. Worlds will be changed. Tell your friends.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)