New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Star Power III: Fail to the Void!

http://www.starpowercomic.com/ok-new-plan/

I had the same face danica does when i realized that was her blood.
    Google cannot help you find the lemon squeezer in your kitchen- trust me, I tried

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

eek Re: Star Power III: Fail to the Void!

That should have severed her spine, looking as nasty as that.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

she is facing an actual challenge?

...anyone wanna take bets on how long it will last? I bet two more pages. at most.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Danica seems to be having some trouble. If only she had some kind of guide who had information about the history of the sentinels and would thus know about the strengths and weaknesses of their ancient enemies and how best she could use her abilities to counter them... If only...

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

...anyone wanna take bets on how long it will last? I bet two more pages. at most.
    Well, its better than certain conflicts dragging on for four years in other media

But yeah, we lose nothing if he just severed her spine and Danica dies next week. Then we can maybe focus on more interesting characters. (I'm sure somewhere in this universe there must be such)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    But yeah, we lose nothing if he just severed her spine and Danica dies next week. Then we can maybe focus on more interesting characters. (I'm sure somewhere in this universe there must be such)
    not in this universe
    or should i say

mookieverse
    Google cannot help you find the lemon squeezer in your kitchen- trust me, I tried

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Well, time to find out what this universe's equivalent of healing magic will be.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Danica seems to be having some trouble. If only she had some kind of guide who had information about the history of the sentinels and would thus know about the strengths and weaknesses of their ancient enemies and how best she could use her abilities to counter them... If only...
    Make a contract with me and become a Star-Powered Sentinel!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Colossus in the Playground

THAT BASTARD! He clearly obliterated the koolaid man just as he was busting through the walls. All that is left is a smallish splash of his precious red juice. If I were danica I would be shocked by that savagery too.

*EDIT* Silliness out of the way, wtf kind of crazy design does this ship have? I mean, does it have an endless series of corridors just jackknifing back and forth so there is only a single thin wall between them? Where the hell did that guy come from and how did he know to carve through the wall THERE in order to ambush danica? Is he just tearing a straight line through the ship hall by hall like a slower but bulkier danica and this was pure luck?
    Last edited by Traab; 2014-01-24 at 08:32 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Where the hell did that guy come from and how did he know to carve through the wall THERE in order to ambush danica? Is he just tearing a straight line through the ship hall by hall like a slower but bulkier danica and this was pure luck?
    He heard the FWEEENing sounds.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2014-01-24 at 08:40 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

If those suits have any kind of sensors wouldn't they just track where she is and blindside her exactly like that?

makes you wonder why she doesn't have that capability doesn't it?

I mean they had it in the Aliens movie... oh dear there I go raising my expectations!

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    If those suits have any kind of sensors wouldn't they just track where she is and blindside her exactly like that?

makes you wonder why she doesn't have that capability doesn't it?

I mean they had it in the Aliens movie... oh dear there I go raising my expectations!
    At this point its another star power scenario. We have no idea what these mystery things can do so they can do anything mookie wants without explanation or justification. It makes it easier to not contradict yourself when you neglect to list their abilities and limits.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

The technology to ambush someone through a wall exists in today's military, let's not be so surprised these guys are able to pull it off.

Traab, how thick do you expect the walls to be? He was probably in a room or something.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The technology to ambush someone through a wall exists in today's military, let's not be so surprised these guys are able to pull it off.

Traab, how thick do you expect the walls to be? He was probably in a room or something.
    Im trying to figure out the layout of this ship. How many straight line hallways are there on this deck? What is the purpose of that when the walls are apparently only 6 inches thick anyway? There doesnt appear to be anything IN these halls. Just blank walls as far as we can see. Who puts empty halls long enough to play a game of football in a spaceship?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Im trying to figure out the layout of this ship. How many straight line hallways are there on this deck? What is the purpose of that when the walls are apparently only 6 inches thick anyway?
    If you have ever seen a building with a straight line hallway, I hate to break it to you but those walls were probably six inches thick. Walls are designed to block off spaces for people to use; if there are beds on the other side of the wall for example the people sleeping in them are probably glad they aren't exposed directly to the light and noise of the foot traffic going through the hallway. The doors to the sleeping areas would be at the ends of the hallway, and the hallway exists just to move people from one side of the ship to the other.

Another plausible explanation is that the power systems are all in the middle of the ship and this is a corridor that connects the bridge to the rest of the ship.

There are too many reasons why this hallway might exist to criticize it, even if the reason to put no doors in it probably is because Garth is lazy/wasn't thinking.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

To be honest, I'm surprised the challenge has lasted this long. In Dominic Deegan, there was usually a challenge introduced in the last panel of a strip, only to be resolved in the first panel of the next strip. In other words, the challenge would last a single panel. This one has been going on for at least two pages. Even if it lasts two more pages, it will still be much longer than usual.

Ultimately the quality of the writing depends on how this is resolved. Mookie has built these guys up to be very tough to beat, so the easier they're defeated later on, the more illogical it will seem.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2014-01-24 at 10:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm rooting for Danica getting killed and the comic focusing on Void Archangel's rebirth as a freedom fighter for the galaxy after realizing the error of his ways.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Mitch: I am now authorising Beam Spam level 2

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I'm rooting for Danica getting killed and the comic focusing on Void Archangel's rebirth as a freedom fighter for the galaxy after realizing the error of his ways.
    "The Star Power was inside all of us, all along...just waiting to fill the void. Now prepare yourself, as I blast you with my inner light so you can...SEE THE TRUTH!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Who puts empty halls long enough to play a game of football in a spaceship?
    Space jocks, that's who.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    Well, time to find out what this universe's equivalent of healing magic will be.
    Beam spam.
    Not a robot

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    "The Star Power was inside all of us, all along...just waiting to fill the void. Now prepare yourself, as I blast you with my inner light so you can...SEE THE TRUTH!"
    Hahaha we can only hope it will at least be that snarkable.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppy View Post
    Beam spam.
    OF COURSE!

Or, we discover that the soldier slashed open the standard-issue strawberry jam containment unit that Sentinels keep on their back at all times (just in case they need to feed helpless space hatchlings)... and now Danica's angry.

Hang on; if her own soldiers are so much better at both hurting Sentinels AND withstanding Sentinel attacks, why the deuce did the Countess waste money hiring someone else? Just send a legion of your own dudes out to take care of her.

Granted, maybe the Countess needed the Void Angels to find Danica, but that brings us back to: why haven't we seen representatives of her forces before now?

And this might be uncharitable, but I think Mookie is going to run into serious problems if he wants to keep doing his token fight scene "get hit in the back from behind with lots of blood but then they're able to stand and talk in the next update" with this kind of art style. Garth's art is able to convey that Danica is seriously hurt and bleeding, whereas it was more ambiguous in DD. If the story doesn't reflect that, it's going to be even more tiresome than usual.
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2014-01-24 at 02:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not only is she not going to murder 50 flavors of *^% out of the vorp archangel, she is going to be little miss keeps her word only given under threat of murder and save the void angels? Oh, and great job beating up the boss and then leaving him there next to his control panel to blow up your station out of spite. (Not that either of them are aware the station has dismantled the bombs already, even though they should be able to guess)
    I swear its like she is intentionally picking the least logical path to follow.
    That might be character development? She began as reclusive person with no social contact, no she's emotional and good at making new friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    That should have severed her spine, looking as nasty as that.
    I was shocked, too. I came home after week of travel and suddenly something actually happened.
    And then I saw that the space splattering blood starts already left of her body while the guy behind her slashes from left to right. Which means it's either fake drama and not really her blood or an art blooper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

If I may speak on Mookie's behalf, briefly, the Countess's strategy of hiring the Void Angels does make sense - at least if you've played Starcraft.

The strategy was basically a Zerg Rush - build/hire a lot of quick to build, expendable units to throw at the enemy all at once before they're ready. It worked, too - every potential Sentinel got wiped out before their powers came online, apparently. Danica's the equivalent of the only player smart enough to rush-build a couple of Photon Cannons and turtle her Probes behind them.

Of course, since this is Mookie, this is luck rather than intelligence, skill, or effort, but same principle.

tl;dr the Void Angels were never meant to fight Sentinels, they were meant to assassinate them. The Wormhole mooks can fight Sentinels, but the only reason they're doing so well against Danica (for the next page or so) is because she's alone; if all the Sentinels came online at once, the Countess would be ****ed. It's all a numbers game, and the Countess probably doesn't have too many of these guys. Or at least, no more than the plot requires her to have.

And that's why Danica's going to win this when the Void Angels decide she's the bestest ever for defending them and back her up in an organized fashion.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2014-01-24 at 08:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

26. - Top - End - #206

Yeah, you just know the vorp mooks are going to save her ass somehow. The background mooks when danica was reaming out archangel, the survivor running off when she saved him, it almost HAS to end that way. Mildest form is a "we are even now. Since we are no longer employed by the countess, we wont be attacking you again. Goodbye forever." Worst form is, "All hail danica! New Archangel of the Vorps! HAIL VORP!" Then she trundles back to the station, "Hai guyz! I got us sum four sez, can I keep them?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    Hang on; if her own soldiers are so much better at both hurting Sentinels AND withstanding Sentinel attacks, why the deuce did the Countess waste money hiring someone else? Just send a legion of your own dudes out to take care of her.
    Actually i think hiring Merc's makes good sense. The Countess is part of a race that has been long since forgotten; when plotting conquest this gives her the very valuable element of surprise. She can hit the galaxy HARD before they even knew she exists. However, she also wants to eliminate the biggest threat, the setinels, before she makes her move. And that's where the merc's come in.

If she sent her own troops in, she would tip off the galaxy to her presence. The military would quickly figure out that their is a new hostile force and begin to prepare themselves. They may even get a chance to see them in action. By the time the countess is done mopping up the Sentinels, the galaxy will have already be on guard and expecting her attack. The merc's allow her to keep her own forces a secret from the galaxy while at the same time allowing her to obtain her goal of eliminating the sentinels

The only flaw in the plan is when the voprs fail like in the case of Danica... Using her own troops would have assured her death since they have gear to counter her powers AND she has no training in the use of her powers. But no plan is perfect. The countess either looses the element of surprise against the galaxy, or she takes a low risk of allowing the sentinel's to escape alive... And it worked out seeing as Dancia was the only survivor.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2014-01-24 at 09:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I was shocked, too. I came home after week of travel and suddenly something actually happened.
    And then I saw that the space splattering blood starts already left of her body while the guy behind her slashes from left to right. Which means it's either fake drama and not really her blood or an art blooper.
    I think that's because he slashed with both hands in both directions.

This reminds me of a scene in Primo Levi's The Truce, where Soviet soldiers from Siberia cut the spinal cords of German soldiers and leave them to die.

From an in-comic perspective, if her back is now broken, she could have a chance for character development. I mean, she could have to figure out how to escape and survive when she doesn't just have overwhelming power.

I suppose she will just discover that she can do something new. SEE THE TRUTH!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #209

Wait, why is everyone acting like she's been seriously injured? The blood there is clearly just to indicate that she's been hit. I'd be surprised if she lost 5% of her HP there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

30. - Top - End - #210

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Wait, why is everyone acting like she's been seriously injured?
    We're saying a combination of two things: that with this kind of effect she should be seriously injured, and surprise that she got injured at all.

Obviously she's going to be fine.