Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Bracers of throwing

These leather bracers are worn on the lower arms and augment thrown weapons. Bracers of throwing grant an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls made with thrown weapons ranging from +1 to +5. If the weapon is a magic weapon then the wielder may chose which set of enhancements to apply to his attack.

Faint evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, creators caster level must be at least three times the bracers' enhancement bonus; Price 4,000 (+1), 16,000 (+2), 36,000 (+3), 64,000 (+4), 100,000 (+5).

What say the playground? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Possible alternate version:

These leather bracers are worn on the lower arms and augment thrown weapons. Bracers of throwing are enchanted as a magical weapon, but the cost of doing so is double normal price. Any weapon thrown while wearing bracers of throwing is treated as if it had the same enchantments for that attack. Bracers of throwing do not stack with any enchantments already on the weapons and if a magic weapon is thrown while the bracers are worn the wearer must decide which set of enchantments will apply to the attack.

CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, creators caster level must be at least three times the bracers' enhancement bonus (for all other purposes, such as adding other enhancements, treat as a magic weapon); Price 4,000 (+1), 16,000 (+2), 36,000 (+3), 64,000 (+4), 100,000 (+5), 144,000 (+6), 196,000 (+7), 256,000 (+8), 324,000 (+9), 400,000 (+10).

Alright, unless anyone can spot a problem with the crafting specifications, I think these are ready for the compendium.
    Last edited by Druid; 2007-02-16 at 01:01 AM.
    Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class! -Leeky Windstaff, evil gnome druid

On yer feet an' face me! Ye may haf the upper hand in magic, but thar's na way a primary spellcaster like ye can survive in melee fer long if'n he hadn't prepared fer it!

Ah, right. Druid. Ne'er mind, then.
    -Durkon Thundershield

Thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bracers of throwing

So, it's like a magic bow that gives it's magic effects to the arrow, but instead it's a bracer that makes thrown weapons get the magic effect? Interesting.
    Make each version (Bracers +1, Bracers +2, etc...) the standard price to enchant weapons.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

These could get way overpowered with Throw Anything and the other throwing feats. I'd say have them take up the Gloves and Bracer slots.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Fanfiction R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Nah... what other item takes up two body slots? ...eh?

I like it. If a +3 rock is to overpowering in your campaign, Machete, you havn't sat at a table with me: I've had monkeys throw gaurds at a fullplate clad dwarf fighter, and knock her out! I know one player who wants a pair of these to throw gaurds back...

Your presentation could go with a touch up, but otherwise, the items themselves are fantastic, double price and all (I think this is the balancing factor)! Good idea.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    Have been doing the Unimagineble
    For so Long, with so Little,
    That we shall now attempt the Impossible
    With Nothing!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machete View Post
    These could get way overpowered with Throw Anything and the other throwing feats.
    How so? On an unrelated note, did you know that this board has a minimum post length requirement?
    Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class! -Leeky Windstaff, evil gnome druid

On yer feet an' face me! Ye may haf the upper hand in magic, but thar's na way a primary spellcaster like ye can survive in melee fer long if'n he hadn't prepared fer it!

-Durkon Thundershield

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

its good, i've seen similar things and as long as it doesnt enhance already magical things you throw its not really broken

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Pricing. Obviously it has to cost more than a normal weapon. The Amulet of Mighty fists costs three times as much as a normal weapon, and has the same ability to apply to any appropriate weapon you wield. So, three times normal cost should be enough, though I'd say double is enough.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

A lot of people (me included) think that the amulet of mighty fists costs way to much to begin with. It's one of the reasons that monks suck.

-Durkon Thundershield

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

A lot of people (me included) think that the amulet of mighty fists costs way to much to begin with. It's one of the reasons that monks suck.
    ...unless you have enough natural weapons to make it count... becouse you can still use those as secondary attacks after all your unarmerd strikes. They still take the same penalties as you flurry attacks, and an extra -5, or -2 if you have Multiattack, or no extra penalty if you have Improved Multiattack.

...back on topic...

...I think Machete is worried arout a Barbarian with +3 Bracers of Throwing, the Trow Anything feat and about 6 greataxe's straped to his back...no one else seems to be... only the worst of us would ever do that...
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    With Nothing!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by magic8BALL View Post

...I think Machete is worried arout a Barbarian with +3 Bracers of Throwing, the Trow Anything feat and about 6 greataxe's straped to his back...no one else seems to be... only the worst of us would ever do that...
    he likely wouldnt have a good enough dexterity score to really hit anything, plus anything in range he could just run up to and smack which wiht power attakc would be a lot more effective, plus a 2nd level monk could just swat the first one of those "arrows" away like nothing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I just wanted to suggest the Bracers of Striking from Forgotten Realms I believe they are only double the price take up your bracers slot and work great for monks

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

With Brutal Throw from CoA he wouldn't need a good dex. Most things are broken if you try hard enough, so I'm not too worried.

What do the bracers of striking do?

-Durkon Thundershield

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I like it. I always liked throwing weapons, but found it... not exactly economical to enchant all the weapons needed. I believe the price is balanced at x2. Now I can make that warblade/bloodstorm blade/master thrower I've been working on useful. *Yoink*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Why aren't these Gloves of Throwing [and Catching]?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

For one thing gloves aren't supposed to increase destructive power, they'd have to be gauntlets to do that [/nitpick]. The reason they don't take up the hand slot is that one of the items I got the idea for these from were the bracers of archery. If you'd like to use these as gloves of throwing then go ahead.

-Durkon Thundershield

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Laughs. Yeah, I had Baseball in mind...

Gloves of Dexterity and Gloves of Arrow Snatching, though, might set a reasonable precedent for these being Gloves rather than, or as well as, Gauntlets.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-01-22 at 05:59 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

...remembering, of cause, that you could simply add 1/2 the price and get Goggles of Throwing, or double the price and get it enchanted onto an Ioun Stone.

Socks of Throwing are also posable, but they would cost as much as the Goggles.

...hell... around my table we only double the cost for Ioun Stones, we have Rings of Dex and Cloaks of Haste...I'm playing an Epic Character with A Monks Belt of Str +16. If it takes up a body slot, it cost base price. Totally silly of cause, and some suggestions are thrown out (mostly google sugestions, thats way too silly...we up the price for those).
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    With Nothing!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I dunno, I think it's a pretty cool idea. Fun item for the adventurers, like if they got captured and tied up, and their weapons taken away. Improvised weapons are always fun, and, say, throwing your shoe and killing someone with it would be great.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

So, can anyone make these? We need details!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

...who actually makes items these days?

...XP costs, time away from adventuring, required spells that no-one actually uses...

or just stroll down to the closest generic magical trinkets shop and hand over your share of the hoard from a samll dragon. Easy.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    With Nothing!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I think they're pretty good, they'd be very nice for Mr. Chuck Keen.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    So, can anyone make these? We need details!
    I can't decide between having them be wondrous items with magic weapon as the requisite enchantment or allowing them to be made with the craft magic arms and armor feat with no required spell. Typically bracers would be considered wondrous items but do to the items specific function arms and armor fits just as well. Any opinions?

-Durkon Thundershield

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Wonderous, with magic weapon as a prereq, caster level must be at least three time that of the enhancement bonus transfered to the thrown item.

Or have a look at the bracers of archery, and amulet of mighty fists... both these itms are similar in their own ways to these...
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    With Nothing!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, that sounds good. I'll edit the description to match.

Edit: I just realized that with the wealth by level guidelines and character creation rules as they are even a character created at level 20 won't be able to afford these. Should I lower the price (maybe 1.5 times a magic weapon's price) or leave it as is?
    Last edited by Druid; 2007-02-14 at 09:27 PM.

-Durkon Thundershield

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

No... they should only go up to +5 bonus...

No weapon can be enhanced to +6 without an artifact being involved.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    With Nothing!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

The bracers can hold all the same enchantments as a magic weapon. The enhancement bonus can't go above 5 but other things can be added to make it the equivalent of a +6-10 weapon.

-Durkon Thundershield

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Ahh... well see now thats a different kettle of fish...

Amulets of Mighty Fist's dont allow this, and I can see a good reason why: +4 flaming burst disrupting fists, +4 flaming burst disrupting feet, +4 flaming burst disrupting elbows, +4 flaming burst disrupting knees, and a +4 flaming burst disrupting head.

I can think of a good reason why Bracers of Throwing shouldn't allow this:
    "My halfling has 26 daggers stashed away all over his tiny body... and each one is a +5 keen shocking dagger of DOOM..."

...I make my point, yes?

Keep it to +1-+5 enhancement, no fancy stuff, and it's fine... as soon as all your scimitars a keen and vorpral at range, there's a problem.
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    With Nothing!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's not so much different than my halfling has a +5 keen shocking burst long bow of doom with 26 arrows, though maybe you have a point. I'll limit it to just a +1-5 bonus for now and maybe change it after I have a chance to playtest these.

-Durkon Thundershield