Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Mythos Inspired Homebrew Discussion

This is a discussion thread for those who wish to create homebrew inspired by Xefas' Mythos classes because it was starting to derail the Mythic Reth Dekala thread. The idea seems to be popular enough to warrant it's own thread for people to put their concepts and information about their own homebrew projects.

Mythos Classes:

The Mythos classes are homebrew classes created by Xefas that use Mythos, abilities that describe the stories that the classes tell and are told about them. The classes are about around Tier 2 in terms of power and are intended to represent truly mythical characters who are far more powerful than the mundane citizens of the story that takes place around them. They are intended to be extremely high powered and fit in with the other Tier 1-2 classes for a high power game.

The links for them can be found below accompanied with a brief synopsis.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Olethrofex - A class based around death, necromancy, oblivion and undeath. A class obsessed about every form that death takes and bringing destruction to everything.
    The Teramach A rage-filled beast that is angry at everything in the universe. It's rage allows it to perform impossible feats of great power.
    The Kathodos A class that is linked inextricably to the natural world and the elements that make up the world. For them the world is their plaything to be shaped as necessary.

Useful Resources:

Template for making custom Mythos banners courtesy of Greaserfish
    (click the spoiler marked Aethenos Roster, there will be another spoiler that contains the downloadable template).

Useful Quotes for Mythos Design:

Spoiler: On Names for Mythos Classes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaserfish View Post
    Xefas, how do you usually come up with the names for your mythos classes?
    I find Greek words that sound cool and are vaguely related to the class.

Spoiler: An Awesome Quote regarding Xefas' inspiration for the fluff of the Mythos Classes
    Show
    Let me put it this way. Everyone's work tends to be derivative of what they like. I would assume even more so if they're doing it for fun, rather than within constraints in a work environment. People do things involving stuff they enjoy! I really like Exalted, which happens to be a game about awesome dudes that hit things with fists and fire and metal objects. D&D is a game about awesome dudes that hit things with fists and fire and metal objects, so when I make stuff for it, there's always going to be some Exalted inspiration.

I mean, Gary Gygax was reading Dying Earth and Lord of the Rings, and oh, hey, when he wrote a fantasy wargame, it had furry-footed hobbits and wizards that prepare compartmentalized spells from books full of diagrams and gibberish. It happens.

But, as I've continued making homebrew, I've tried to shy away from just drawing from the one source, and be more original. When I wrote the Infernal Monster Discipline ~3 years ago, it was a more-or-less straight translation of Exalted. The Teramach, in turn, draws on a lot of the same ideas, but aside from a few stolen names (which I've considered changing), it's only as inspired by Exalted as it is by the Hulk or Dragonball Z or Borderlands. Then, stuff like the Mythic Vashar and Mythic Kobold have almost no Exalted inspiration whatsoever.

This particular homebrew, the Mythic Reth Dekala, is intentionally a direct reference to fixtures in Exalted (but, to be fair, it's still decently tainted with Saiyans and Tamaraneans). But the next thing I make will probably have nothing to do with it (I'm thinking Mythic Lycanthropes).

So, in conclusion, do whatever. I'd say the only flavor guidelines I have for Mythos classes are that:

1) Mythic characters are great people. Whatever talent they have can be used to change the world. They aren't soldiers that level up and become slightly better soldiers. They're sword-saints that level up and become forces of destruction. They aren't thieves that aspire to run a criminal guild, they're bandit queens and kingslayers that will one day see the world dance on their puppet-strings.

2) They use the Planescape/Great Wheel cosmology. Because I can't be arsed to learn what esoteric strata Eberron and Dragonlance revolve on.

3) They use a lot of flowery proper nouns. Just, everywhere. Have I ever said how proud I am of the name "Psychotic Sapience-Brutalizing Devolution"? Gods forbid I ever have children.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-01-06 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

2. - Top - End - #2

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Mythos Inspired Homebrew

My own idea for a Mythos class is something called the Psychopomp. It is based around the idea of being a personification of or someone obsessed with death as an ideal. Instead of the Olethrofex which seems more about it's own existence as an abomination, the Psychopomp is about death as an important and eternal law, about leading others into the afterlife, about the philosophies surrounding death. I'm thinking about putting a bit of Straw Nihilism (life is nothing and we all die so lets spread misery and despair), Anti-Nihilism (life is nothing and we all die, but let's be altruistic despite that), Social Darwinism and the idea of life and death being a continuous cycle.

I don't have a banner put together yet. I do have what I'm drawing inspiration from and I've even written some of the classes fluff. I wanted to get some what other people think about it and if the idea is separate enough from the Olethrofex to be workable.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Your idea for the Psychopomp sounds cool, though there is one thing I might address.
    I'm thinking about putting a bit of Straw Nihilism (life is nothing and we all die so lets spread misery and despair), Anti-Nihilism (life is nothing and we all die, but let's be altruistic despite that), Social Darwinism and the idea of life and death being a continuous cycle.
    I think that the idea of life and death being a cycle fits best with the concept, and that the whole Nihilism spectrum doesn't really fit the shtick of classic psychopomps. Most examples in mythology weren't good or bad, it was just a job to them.

I actually consider it cheating to ever include Batman in the banner. Batman is such an intensely human character (and has had an absurd number of influences and writers with only tangentially-related artistic visions) that it's quicker to count the classes that he couldn't be.
    Given this quote from VoodooPaladin, I was wondering if anyone would mind helping me find another character to fit my roster for the Aethenos and to replace Batman. I'd prefer someone more antagonistic than the majority of heroes currently taking it up. I'm basically looking for a character whose conviction toward a specific goal is their main driving force in life.
    vwelp. kudos to gurgleflep for the avwatar.

As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Psychopomp was my first idea, broken by the Olethrofex's debut. If only because I was leaning harder on Abyssals when I was brainstorming...

Anyway, if you go through with it, be sure to reference your Touhous! Youmu and Komachi would fit your themes.

On to my own projects, core idea for my Luminarch was "right makes might, and I'm righteous." Most of the [Exalted] feats could pretty much be Exceptional Mythos, I'm scanning BoED for the first time to set an idea. Expect to see the word "translumination" at least once when I've finished.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaserFish View Post
    Given this quote from VoodooPaladin, I was wondering if anyone would mind helping me find another character to fit my roster for the Aethenos and to replace Batman. I'd prefer someone more antagonistic than the majority of heroes currently taking it up. I'm basically looking for a character whose conviction toward a specific goal is their main driving force in life.
    Pick a Green Lantern. The Green light is ALL ABOUT conviction.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2014-01-06 at 12:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Pick a Green Lantern. The Green light is ALL ABOUT conviction.
    Aha, thanks, I thought I was missing something obvious.

As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your idea for the Psychopomp sounds cool, though there is one thing I might address.

I think that the idea of life and death being a cycle fits best with the concept, and that the whole Nihilism spectrum doesn't really fit the shtick of classic psychopomps. Most examples in mythology weren't good or bad, it was just a job to them.
    The idea was to expand the idea of the Psychopomp into a more general death-based class. That said, just sticking with the classic idea is not a bad option and would help it stand out from the Olethrofex. The Psychopomp name was also a WIP, I like the name but it does have certain assumptions built into it (which you pointed out). The other issue is whether or not the idea of the Psychopomp really fits with the feel of a Mythos class. As you said most Psychopomps just do their jobs and don't really actually go out and do the sorts of things a Mythos class would do. On the other hand, if I link the class to the life-death cycle and create appropriate Mythos around that, the class might be workable.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, it gives me something to think about.

Psychopomp was my first idea, broken by the Olethrofex's debut. If only because I was leaning harder on Abyssals when I was brainstorming...

Anyway, if you go through with it, be sure to reference your Touhous! Youmu and Komachi would fit your themes.
    Yeah, I'm still not sure about it. However, I'm really thinking that there is still some space for a Psychopomp as someone who ushers in the dead. I'll admit to not knowing too much about Touhou, the sheer amount of content for the series made it hard for me to get into it. I will look up the characters you mentioned and see if I can't work something out.

I've got my own inspirations, but I'm still trying to sort things out on my end. One of them fits but only if you take the ending into account and the ending is a big spoiler for a certain anime. So I don't know if I want to explicitly use it as inspiration in case I end up spoiling the anime in question for someone. I'm kind of paranoid about spoilers.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-01-06 at 12:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    On the other hand, if I link the class to the life-death cycle and create appropriate Mythos around that, the class might be workable.
    Ooh, there's an idea. Some kind of divine-esque mythos class that revolves around life and death, perhaps utilizing both positive and negative energy? Draining enemy health and adding it to their own or their allies is a possibility, along with being able to create undead/deathless and reviving fallen comrades. Perhaps their shtick could be to protect the natural order of things and investigating any disturbances in the cycle of reincarnation/the circle of life/however new life comes into being.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Continuing from the Mythic Reth Dekala thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Bound-Ghast Unleashing
    Prerequisite: -

The weakest wardens of the ancient times are, ironically, the most well-known; too frail to gather much soulstuff, they hid in the space between planes, biding their time and offering their services to anyone desperate enough to summon them. A Seneschal is no mere mortal, however, and knows ways on how to bind them to his service.

You gain Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, and Expel Vestige as bonus feats (ToM).

Advanced
    Will-Bending Demands: You gain Ignore Special Requirements and Skilled Pact Making as bonus feats (ToM).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Entreating On The Altar of Naught

Those nothings and no ones that languish between bleak emptiness and the shade of death, they clamor for one hint of life or light to slake the cold lust of their vapid unexistence. So it is that when a Seneschal beckons them by name, they slaver at the echo and the blood offered without complaint, easily called and easily subjugated.

You gain the Soul Binding class feature of a Binder (ToM pg10). This is a Supernatural ability. Your effective binder level for the purposes of determining the highest level of Vestige you may bind and how many Vestiges you may have bound at once is 1 (this stacks with other sources of binding, such as the Binder class itself), and your effective binder level for all other purposes is equal to your class level (this does not stack with other sources of binding level).

Unlike a Binder, you are not required to draw a seal to summon forth a Vestige. You need only a symbolic altar, typically a smooth stone of some kind, which you mark with your own blood, and then call the name of the Vestige three times (withdrawing the stone from a pouch is typically a move action, and if you are already bleeding, coating the stone in your blood may be done as part of the same action, otherwise drawing blood from yourself is another move action). At your command, the Vestige's image appears and, unlike with a Binder's ritual, is aware of its surroundings and capable of observing and speaking with other creatures than yourself.

Bargaining and binding proceed as normal afterward.

Advanced
    Selenite Bishop Presumption: You gain Improved Binding as a bonus feat. When you attempt a rushed binding check on a Vestige lower level than the maximum level of Vestige you may bind, you do not take the -10 penalty on your binding check, demanding its obedience rather than requesting it.

Discarding Broken Phantoms: You gain Expel Vestige as a bonus feat. When you use your Expel Vestige feat, you need not draw a seal and perform the summoning processes to expel the spirit inside you. Instead, you may use a full-round action to disgorge them as a roiling crystalline nimbus from your eyes and mouth, which gradually fades into nothing in the following moments.
    How, I ask. HOW. That's good, really good. And more importantly, it's a lot more fun and flavorful. How does one go about with Mythos-making?
    I will probably end up writing a guide for this at some point, considering the number of PMs I've gotten to this effect. Or, not really a guide, so much as a summary of how I, personally, write my classes. I don't claim to know things.

I'll try to be brief, though by necessity incomplete, with this summation.

Know what you want. Then mechanics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you came at it backwards. Soul binding mechanics exist, therefore you want soul binding. Instead, I would suggest imagining the character exactly as you want them to be, then find mechanics similar to that, then tweak. If there are no mechanics similar to that, write them.

edit: Also, I have to be up in a few hours for work, so I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2014-01-06 at 12:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ooh, there's an idea. Some kind of divine-esque mythos class that revolves around life and death, perhaps utilizing both positive and negative energy? Draining enemy health and adding it to their own or their allies is a possibility, along with being able to create undead/deathless and reviving fallen comrades. Perhaps their shtick could be to protect the natural order of things and investigating any disturbances in the cycle of reincarnation/the circle of life/however new life comes into being.
    I think that this idea is definitely something that might be worthwhile for the class. I want to stay away from creating undead as that seems to be thr Olethrofex's schtick. Perhaps creating temporary allies by requesting/forcing the spirits of the dead to aid the Psychopomp might not be a bad idea though, I could even make them Deathless to better separate the two classes.

I definitely like the idea of it being a quasi-divine class focusing on life and death (that eventually becomes totally entertwined with the life-death cycle) and something that's like the Kathodos as a protector of the natural order, neither specifically good or evil and using the energy commonly associated with both. Most Psychopomps might see themselves as above more trivial matters; completely focused on the preservation of the natural order. One thing dies, it's soul moves to it's destination on the great wheel as a petitioner, and another thing is born to take it's place in reality.

The core belief would be that from each beginning must come from something's end. Maybe not specifically based off of reincarnation, but meshing that basic idea with the idea of the circle of life. Basically everything in life is a journey, and it is the Psychopomp's job to make sure that the journey isn't disrupted. And seeing how many things in D&D like to mess with that journey, they have a constant job.

It also lets me put Mufasa as one of the characters for the banner which is awesome.

Edit: I'm tired, and I should also get to bed. I'll try to think about this more tomorrow though.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-01-06 at 01:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing as it will probably be some time before I make any significant progress on the Aethenos, I present to you a template to make a more powerful Mythos user.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mythborn
    Some people, when they are born, are normal. They have normal childhoods, live normal lives, and die normal deaths. Others stand out. They are inherently exceptional, and every facet of their lives is filled to the brim with a foreshadowing of greatness. They could learn to fence like a master by the age of ten, they could become a king of kings within their own lifetime, or they could even bring about the ugly head of the apocalypse and doom themselves and all of their kin.

Awe inspiring and terrible to behold are people such as these, once their story manifests; But regardless of whatever magnificent destiny lies ahead of them, one thing is obvious. These people are not normal.

Creating a Mythborn Creature
    "Mythborn" is an inherited template that can be added to any creature capable of taking class levels.
    Size and Type: Same as base creature.
    Hit Dice: All hit dice are changed to at least a d8. Otherwise, same as base creature.
    Base Attack Bonus: Mythborn creatures gain a +2 morale bonus to all attack rolls for 3d4 hours after every eight hour rest, or other such rest as fits for their race.
    Special Qualities: A Mythborn character starts with free Mythos to spend, regardless of starting class. A Mythborn character who takes their first level in a Mythos class gains one free Mythos. A Mythborn character who does not take a Mythos class at first level can select a single Mythos class to gain access to the Exceptional Mythos of that class, and gains one Mythos to spend accordingly. If they later take a level in a mythos class, they may not reallocate those Mythos or change their selected Mythos class.
    Challenge Rating:
    Alignment: Same as base creature.
    Advancement: Same as base creature.

I'm not entirely happy with it because it sounds a bit awkwardly worded to me, but it's a start.

EDIT: Glad I could help you out with the theme of your class. I might even be able to do a bit of digging and find a nice greek word for you to use.
    Last edited by GreaserFish; 2015-03-26 at 12:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Continuing from the Mythic Reth Dekala thread-

Know what you want. Then mechanics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you came at it backwards. Soul binding mechanics exist, therefore you want soul binding. Instead, I would suggest imagining the character exactly as you want them to be, then find mechanics similar to that, then tweak. If there are no mechanics similar to that, write them.
    You'd be right in that assumption; I liked the idea of the ability, but wanted to make sure I had the mechanics down first. Although it will be more effort to do fluff-then-mechanics, I agree in thinking that it will work out better overall for it.

Meanwhile, the next bit of the Seneschal: Bringing out the inner being from within (otherwise known as "BABYBABYBABYBABY: The Mythos")

Spoiler
    Show
    Awaken the Animus from Within

The beast that lives within every living being is something of a mystery to most sages. Invisible most of the time, it usually takes the training or practice of an arcanist in order to pull a modicum of its power out and imbue it into an animal, or perhaps a willing being of some other kind. Each person's inner self is something that they generally keep to hidden, but for one such as the Seneschal, such trivalities are meaningless; after all, with the potential for dozens, possibly hundreds of mentalities to hide within them, the ability to showcase one's very soul is surprisingly soothing.

You gain the Obtain Familiar and Bonded Familiar feats, with your effective arcane caster level being equal to your character level. Unlike normal familiars, your familiar is always of the Outsider type with the Native subtype, regardless of its usual type and current appearance. In addition, you may dismiss and re-summon your familiar as a swift action each, causing it to disappear and reappear at your command as long as it is within 20 feet of you per level. Whenever you would re-summon your familiar, you may choose to have it manifest as a different familiar that an arcane caster of your character level could have.

Basic
    Evoker of Material Wealth: You instead gain Item Familiar (UA) as a bonus feat. The item chosen immediately gains sapience (as the 7th level ability), with the mental scores and Ego that brings.
    Shadow of the True Self: You gain the Shadowform Familiar feat (CoR). Unlike the normal feat, a shadowform familiar that goes beyond 30 feet of you is dismissed instead of slain, although you gain a negative level for 24 hours if the familiar was commanded to leave your side by your choosing.
    I am Thou: Your familiar can, at your choosing and of its own volition, appear as though it were a doppelgänger of you, as though it were affected by the Polymorph spell. Unlike the spell, the familiar keeps its Outsider (Native) typing. This doppelgänger-familiar is identical to you in almost every way (including class levels, feats, current hit points, skill ranks, and so forth), except that it does not have this Mythos, retains it's own mental ability scores and personality, and always has some flaw in appearance that someone who knows you can identify as inaccurate with a Spot check (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + your Charisma modifiers). Common ones include (but are by no means limited to) yellow eyes, pointed (or rounded) ears, small wisps of eldritch energy spiraling at its feet, a vestigial tail, or some other aspect.

Advanced:
    Aria of the Inner Soul: You gain the Improved Familiar and Planar Familiar feats.
    Illusion-Form Litany: You gain a second Basic manifestation of this Mythos.
    Last edited by Adam1949; 2014-01-06 at 01:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ha HA! It's finally done. My picture is finally done! I present to you the iconic characters of the Hægtesse, a practitioner of the dark arts, and ambassador to the spirit world.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Part of me wants to work on a Mythos class because I find the entire concept to be utterly awesome in many ways, but I have never been particularly good at crafting my own brew. That being said I've had an idea for a person who will not let go, and indeed likely cannot let go. They are driven by fear of not their own mortality but that of everyone they meet, and should they actually form a bond of friendship they could indeed become paralyzed by that fear should the person die. Their response is to make sure no one dies, and thus we have a Mythos Healer... maybe with a touch of dread polite necromancer.

However, this seems to be stepping on toes of other ideas in the thread thus far, so I might be even less motivated to try my hand at a standalone class, unfortunately. Though, where the cycle of life has been mentioned and whatnot, this would be a subversion of it, and perhaps even a contrast to the existing (god I can never spell it... ugh, findfindfind,paste) Olethrofex and what else has been discussed. I dunno, probably better fit as a Mythos line (or 2) inside another class unless people really think otherwise.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Aww, and here I thought this would be about the Cthulhu Mythos. Haven't found a good collection of that yet.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Ha HA! It's finally done. My picture is finally done! I present to you the iconic characters of the Hægtesse, a practitioner of the dark arts, and ambassador to the spirit world.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Unspoken rule is, apparently, that every third Mythos banner must include a character from Avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    However, this seems to be stepping on toes of other ideas in the thread thus far, so I might be even less motivated to try my hand at a standalone class, unfortunately.
    I say do it up, man. There's nothin' wrong with a little toe squishin', so long as you aren't outright copying someone. I don't know if anyone else is even doing something close to what you are; the Hægtesse is a Mythos Witch, and while there might be a little bit of healing and a lot of necromancy, there's nothing "polite" about it.

It's all about the fluff.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

That being said I've had an idea for a person who will not let go, and indeed likely cannot let go. They are driven by fear of not their own mortality but that of everyone they meet, and should they actually form a bond of friendship they could indeed become paralyzed by that fear should the person die. Their response is to make sure no one dies, and thus we have a Mythos Healer... maybe with a touch of dread polite necromancer.
    Sounds like the mentality of some transhumanists. Here is a bit of reading that might help inspire you.
    http://yudkowsky.net/other/yehuda/
    Last edited by General Patton; 2014-01-06 at 02:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

WolfInSheepsClothing

Part of me wants to work on a Mythos class because I find the entire concept to be utterly awesome in many ways, but I have never been particularly good at crafting my own brew. That being said I've had an idea for a person who will not let go, and indeed likely cannot let go. They are driven by fear of not their own mortality but that of everyone they meet, and should they actually form a bond of friendship they could indeed become paralyzed by that fear should the person die. Their response is to make sure no one dies, and thus we have a Mythos Healer... maybe with a touch of dread polite necromancer.

However, this seems to be stepping on toes of other ideas in the thread thus far, so I might be even less motivated to try my hand at a standalone class, unfortunately. Though, where the cycle of life has been mentioned and whatnot, this would be a subversion of it, and perhaps even a contrast to the existing (god I can never spell it... ugh, findfindfind,paste) Olethrofex and what else has been discussed. I dunno, probably better fit as a Mythos line (or 2) inside another class unless people really think otherwise.
    I agree with Primal Fury, do it. I don't feel that this is stepping on my class at all. My own class the Kyzotos (I'm trying the name out) could be considered to be stepping on the Olethrofex as well. The Kyzotos is more about cycles, with the biggest and most important one being the cycle of life, death and rebirth. Everything about the class is about that cycle (or the cycles that it spawns) in some manner. While healing is a part of it, as is death, neither really fits the idea of a Mythos Healer that well.

...Unspoken rule is, apparently, that every third Mythos banner must include a character from Avatar.
    I am going to probably be using character(s) from Avatar, but I think that it'll be at least somewhat unique.

Spoiler: If you want to guess the idea don't click
    Show
    I plan on using the Sun and Moon spirits as fish
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-01-06 at 02:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Hey guys; I need a bit more inspiration. Does anyone know any good pieces of media about dark magic, witches or furies? There's the old tales about Baba Yaga and other fairy tales involving witches as villains, but what about more modern or obscure ones?
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hey guys; I need a bit more inspiration. Does anyone know any good pieces of media about dark magic, witches or furies? There's the old tales about Baba Yaga and other fairy tales involving witches as villains, but what about more modern or obscure ones?
    There's Harry Potter for Witches and Warlocks as protagonists. Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a modern Magical Girl anime (kind of) that has Witches as opponents. Soul Eater is an anime/manga based around characters who hunt witches.

Also, here is also my first Exceptional Mythos for the Kyzotos

Spoiler
    Show
    Life From Death Transference Attack:
    Prerequisites: None

The Kyzotos knows that there is no true separation between positive and negative energy and that those beliefs stating that one is good because it heals whilst the other is evil because it harms to be oversimplifications of the grand cycle. The Kyzotos instead uses negative energy to force the positive energy out of a creature (for only one kind of energy can be in any one creature at a time) using it to heal another.

Make a Ranged Touch Attack as a standard action with a range of 120 ft. dealing xd6 damage (where x is half your class levels rounded up) on a successful hit from the ensuing negative energy. Heal another creature in range (including yourself) by that amount thanks to the positive energy that is now flowing.

This Mythos if used on a non living creature (except undead) then they take the damage from the negative energy. However no healing can be produced in this manner. Against undead the attack fizzles.

Advanced:

Ailment Transferral Wave: Instead of making a Ranged Touch Attack, you may choose to target one creature affected by a disease or poison and another creature that does not suffer from that ailment (and is not immune to said ailment). The former target is cured of the disease or poison and heals the amount of damage that the Ranged Touch Attack would have dealt. The latter target gains the disease or poison and takes damage equal to the amount the former target took. Both targets may make Will Saves to negate the effects. If either target makes the save the entire effect is negated.

Undeath Rebuke and Reattribution: Make a Ranged Touch Attack against an undead target within120 ft. of you. A successfully hit target is affected as if it were the victim of a Rebuke Undead attempt by an evil cleric.

Your cleric level for this effect is equal to your level + 3, make a turning check and add your Wisdom modifier to the result. If you fail; nothing happens, if you succeed; The creature is considered rebuked and if you succeed and have twice as many effective cleric levels as the undead has hit dice it is controlled. (See the Turn or Rebuke Undead special attack listing.)

Tell me what you guys think.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-01-06 at 05:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

There's a reason for that. Avatar is just a -... oh crap damnit, Mythic Dvati must happen.

How much do you know about Molly Carpenter? She was sentenced to death for using dark magic to cure people of crippling drug addiction. That alone puts her character up my alley.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

As stated above, Green Lanterns are literally powered by conviction and willpower. But if you want a more antagonistic force...

Spoiler
    Show

The Inquisition sounds closer to what you're looking for.

Other fine options include the Boros Legion and all of these guys here.

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, depending on your definition of "Dark Magic" and "Witch", there's always Umineko no Naku Koro Ni; It's a Sound Novel (like a visual novel, but with more emphasis on the music and sound effects, mostly so that you can ignore the usually-bad art) about a murder mystery that is propagated by powerful Witches who can essentially re-write history so that it can fit their views, whereas the main character in each episode attempt to prove that the mystery could have been done with absolutely no influence by magic, even going so paradoxically far as to use magic to prove that magic wasn't used. It's where the 6th picture of the Seneschal is from, and where the following Mythos are from (their names and, eventually, their abilities).
    Spoiler
    Show

Going from Exceptional, Fantastic, Legendary, and Exalted:
    Crimson Honor Declaration
    Azure Defiant Inquiry
    Amethyst Subterfuge Announcement
    Alchemical Perfection Demand

EDIT: Now that I think about it, would it be too wide-reaching to make the Seneschal "The Mythos Binder/Summoner/Truenamer"? I mean, traditionally magic was done via the use of a connection to a person; this is already shown by the summoning aspects of the class, but using their names and Words of Power was also a classic trope of summoning; "Come forth, great spirit Betelgeuse; Betelgeuse; Betelgeuse" and so forth. Or would that make it too thinly-spread?
    Last edited by Adam1949; 2014-01-06 at 05:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Might I suggest that, for friendliness to people who stumble on this thread and don't already know what it is, that "Discussion" be appended to the end of the thread title (to note that it does not contain actual finished homebrew), and that links to one or more Mythos classes be placed in the first post, so that a curious person could find out what we're talking about more easily?

25. - Top - End - #25

WolfInSheepsClothing

Might I suggest that, for friendliness to people who stumble on this thread and don't already know what it is, that "Discussion" be appended to the end of the thread title (to note that it does not contain actual finished homebrew), and that links to one or more Mythos classes be placed in the first post, so that a curious person could find out what we're talking about more easily?
    Done, I meant to initially place discussion in the title, but forgot. I also listed the links.

26. - Top - End - #26

Well, depending on your definition of "Dark Magic" and "Witch"
    More specifically, I'm talking about the kind of "Dark Magic" that makes people go "Are we sure we want to do this?", wielded by ancient witches that ate children because they were impolite. Not d20 wizards with a different name; I'm talkin' the "I'm gonna bathe in the blood of 50 virgins to steal their youth" kinda witches.

Now that I think about it, would it be too wide-reaching to make the Seneschal "The Mythos Binder/Summoner/Truenamer"? I mean, traditionally magic was done via the use of a connection to a person; this is already shown by the summoning aspects of the class, but using their names and Words of Power was also a classic trope of summoning; "Come forth, great spirit Betelgeuse; Betelgeuse; Betelgeuse" and so forth. Or would that make it too thinly-spread?
    Lets say you go with "Names" as a core concept. You could do just about anything with that. The problem is you want a bit more focus than that. Summoning makes perfect sense, as does controlling people in various ways, but binding... eh. You could, perhaps, mimic the power of certain beings by invoking their names, but outright binding I'm a bit sketchy on.
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2014-01-06 at 07:00 PM.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Now that I think about it, would it be too wide-reaching to make the Seneschal "The Mythos Binder/Summoner/Truenamer"? I mean, traditionally magic was done via the use of a connection to a person; this is already shown by the summoning aspects of the class, but using their names and Words of Power was also a classic trope of summoning; "Come forth, great spirit Betelgeuse; Betelgeuse; Betelgeuse" and so forth. Or would that make it too thinly-spread?
    Don't think of the Seneschal as "A version of X other class"*. Envision the Seneschal, and if your vision is of a person that speaks the names of forbidden things to beseech their service, then make that the class and not "A Binder/Summoner/Truenamer". Make the story, make the mechanics tell the story, and there's no way for it to be spread too thin because the class will be exactly the story you wanted to tell with it. It's only if you come at it the other way, saying "These mechanics exist, so my story should include them" that you risk overextending beyond what you want.

*Perhaps using "The Mythos X" as a shorthand was a poor decision on my part.

More specifically, I'm talking about the kind of "Dark Magic" that makes people go "Are we sure we want to do this?", wielded by ancient witches that ate children because they were impolite. Not d20 wizards with a different name; I'm talkin' the "I'm gonna bathe in the blood of 50 virgins to steal their youth" kinda witches.
    Ah, that kind of dark magic. Magic that has to be chosen, magic that has to be paid for, magic that calls to those poor, unfortunate souls with nowhere else to turn?

They weren't kidding when they called her, well, a witch.

28. - Top - End - #28

Default Re: Mythos Inspired Homebrew Discussion

How the HELL did I forget Ursula?!?! Thank you for that. I guess I shouldn't discount Disney so quickly after all.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Inspired Homebrew Discussion

How the HELL did I forget Ursula?!?! Thank you for that. I guess I shouldn't discount Disney so quickly after all.
    I find that music is tremendously helpful for me to 'get into character', as it were. And Disney happens to have some goddamn beautiful music. When I mess around with the Hierodule, it's this, full stop. Well... maybe some of this, but that first one is a must.

Olethrofex had me some of this and this and this.

The Cynosure is actually hilarious to write for, because it's stuff like this and this, which is just unreasonable. No one writes metal for inane idiot-god genocide monsters, so you have to make do.

And, if anyone ever wants to write for the Teramach, I have the audio for you. Click off the lights, stick this in your headphones, and vomit forth apocalyptica!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Post Re: Mythos Inspired Homebrew Discussion

A somewhat revamped Aethenos roster and my first Mythos for it, inspired by none other than Link.

Spoiler: Roster
    Show

"There are those amongst our Ordo who say that I seek advancement for my own purposes, and they are correct. My purpose is to destroy the daemonic and if I must rise to command an entire sector to do so, then so be it. I am a servant of the Emperor and only those who consort with Warp-spawn need fear my ambition." ~ Inquisitor Lord Torquemada Coteaz, Warhammer 40,000

Spoiler: Mythos
    Show
    Heretic Sundering Soulblade Strike
    Prerequesite: -
    Sometimes fools attempt to flee from the divine justice of the Judge. Other times, they believe they can hide from the blinding light of retribution by being out of the reach of his blade. Clearly these fools must realize that nothing can escape from the Judge or his justice, regardless of distance or defense. And so it is that regardless of any gap between him and his foe, the Judge shall cut down any heretics that stand against the side of justice.

As part of a standard attack with a melee weapon, you may choose to send out a wave of energy to extend the reach of your weapon. This attack's range is extended by your weapon's reach multiplied by your current Conviction level. This attack has as many range increments as you do levels in Aethenos.

If this attack hits, it deals bonus damage equal to your current Conviction level, with a minimum of one. Otherwise, the damage is treated as if you had simply hit them with your weapon.

The wave of energy released from this attack can take whatever form best suits your Cause and Code; be it a shimmering blade of light, a malignant shadow stalking through the air, or a wave of biting insects.

There's a couple of bits in there that I don't think will be understood properly until I actually write out the details, but I think this should work for an Exceptional Mythos. Not sure about any basic/advanced versions of this mythos, but I think it will work on its own for now.