New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A great idea for a character concept, but he's got no class

For my group's next D&D campaign, which will admittedly be a while from now, I was thinking I would play an elf.

Now, this is a funny thing because if you know my group, we hate elves. Myself included. However, the particular elf I had in mind, they might be able to live with.

He would be Neutral Evil and despise his kin's reputation of Chaotic Good-ness. He hates the Chaotic Good alignment, even more than Lawful Good. (Naturally, he won't use these terms in character - he'll refer to them as anti-heroes or rogues with a heart of gold or 'rebels', that kind of thing.) He hates them because he thinks they are weak goody-two-shoes who are simply too stupid to have structure. Either that, or that they're angsty rebels who think they want to help everyone, especially if they can do it without holding to any sort of ethical code.

Naturally, his goal will be simple: He wants to kill them all. This makes justifying things in game rather simple. Anything he does is likely to either make him more powerful, or lead to the destruction of other elves. Going to raid a dungeon? Think of all the loot that can directly be put to use for destruction. Having to trek to some far-off place just to deliver a message? Hey, if there are elf towns between here and there we can attack them!

So, the problem is that I haven't got a class for him. Many of them would seem fitting. He could be an evil Wizard, and at epic levels research "Genocide: Elf." He could be a ranger and take elves as a favored enemy. He could be a rogue and eventually become an assassin and kill them with mass amounts of poisons.

I briefly considered druid, but I realized that his motivation for killing elves would have to be that they're upsetting the balance, not just that they're goody-two-shoes.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A great idea for a character concept, but he's got no class

Maybe he rejects their undiscplined lifestyles as well and he could be a monk blackguard or hate the magic elves wield and be a mage killer..... so actually a monk/blackguard/occult slayer would have pretty good saves..... Not awesome in the cheesy sense but interesting (IMO)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you've gone that far with your inverse Drizz't-clone, I would go the rest of the way. Barbarian with a greataxe (or some suitably large 2H weapon) to dispel that ridiculous "Elves are finesse fighters" stereotype. You can multiclass into Ranger if you want for the Favored Enemy.

Wizard always works, too, but do you really want to take the favored class of Elves?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karsh View Post
    If you've gone that far with your inverse Drizz't-clone, I would go the rest of the way. Barbarian with a greataxe (or some suitably large 2H weapon) to dispel that ridiculous "Elves are finesse fighters" stereotype. You can multiclass into Ranger if you want for the Favored Enemy.

Wizard always works, too, but do you really want to take the favored class of Elves?
    Erm, it's not really an anti-Drizzt, he's an evil elf and that also hates (good?) elves....

Oooh, maybe the elf believes he is a half-elf. He was raised by a human who loved an elf but was rejected by said elf, the human abducted his love's child and raised him to hate elves (the bitter evil guy that he was).... that could be interesting, not quite in line with your idea neccessarily though

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a delicious irony in using the elves' own stereotypes -- nature, grace, patience -- against them. Therefore, I suggest you go Ranger/Assassin. The hardest requirement to meet is the 4 ranks of Bluff, and a Ranger has the skill points to make that pretty easily. I believe there are even feats that let you designate some skills as permanent class skills -- you could choose Bluff and Survival as permanent ones, saving you skill points at character creation and letting you track effectively as a high-level Assassin.

Eleven or twelve levels of Ranger would give you combat style mastery and access to 3rd-level Ranger spells, while still leaving you room to gain heaps of Assassin spells. Then, you take Scribe Scroll or Craft Wand so you can save your Ranger spell slots for specialty situations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ranger, favored enemy: elf. Too easy, almost.

Thing is, ranger is a good lead in to assassin, which would be something your character probably would take advantage of.

Edit: Simu'd
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Invictus View Post
    There is a delicious irony in using the elves' own stereotypes -- nature, grace, patience -- against them. Therefore, I suggest you go Ranger/Assassin. The hardest requirement to meet is the 4 ranks of Bluff, and a Ranger has the skill points to make that pretty easily. I believe there are even feats that let you designate some skills as permanent class skills -- you could choose Bluff and Survival as permanent ones, saving you skill points at character creation and letting you track effectively as a high-level Assassin.

Eleven or twelve levels of Ranger would give you combat style mastery and access to 3rd-level Ranger spells, while still leaving you room to gain heaps of Assassin spells. Then, you take Scribe Scroll or Craft Wand so you can save your Ranger spell slots for specialty situations.
    I think Miles hit the nail on the head there. An assassin who can track you across the wilderness to slay you is not an enemy I'd want to make.

There is one thing about it that seems missing though. If your character is really serious killing ALL the elves (as opposed to just killing all of them that he runs across), he'll need considerably more...how to put this...making-things-go-boom...ness? Anyway, the point is that a wizard would have access to greater destructive power and could get others to do the dirty work.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

What about a Warmage? The fluff says that they have tons of "discipline" and "structure" and whatnot, and Warmages have even more direct-damage firepower than Wizards and Sorcerers. Firepower that can be used, say, to machine-gun Sudden Maximized Admixed Fireballs into a large crowd of Elves...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umbral_Arcanist View Post
    Maybe he rejects their undiscplined lifestyles as well and he could be a monk blackguard or hate the magic elves wield and be a mage killer..... so actually a monk/blackguard/occult slayer would have pretty good saves..... Not awesome in the cheesy sense but interesting (IMO)
    That's all right, I don't typically play very effective characters. I was actually thinking of Monk a bit ago, but I'd have to be Lawful Evil for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsh View Post
    That's actually a good point. I like your barbarian with a greataxe, though the -2 to constitution might be a bit rough.

Erm, it's not really an anti-Drizzt, he's an evil elf and that also hates (good?) elves....
    Nah, Karsh is right, it's an anti-Drizz't clone. More or less as a joke, but of the "ha ha, only serious" sort. So if it's not an anti-Drizz't, what would make him such?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Invictus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Ranger, favored enemy: elf. Too easy, almost.

Thing is, ranger is a good lead in to assassin, which would be something your character probably would take advantage of.

Edit: Simu'd
    Those are both excellent ideas. (Well, the same idea simultaneously given.) I shall highly consider that, because assassin seems perfect for the character.

I might make him into a more calculated killing machine, so an Assassin would make sense.

Edit: And yes, he is supposed to be an anti-Drizz't. When I said "great idea" I didn't mean "Ooh, an original and in-depth character," I meant "Wait wait, I got it guys: It's like Drizz't, but NOT."
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-01-21 at 12:25 AM.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGirl

Is there any possible variation of the ranger out there that uses INT for spells?
    If there is, it would work perfectly with the assassin.
    Join the BARD DEFENSE LEAGUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    "No, that spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't create it inside your enemy's brain."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hee, Ranger/Assassin sounds nice. You may also want to take a look at Rich's sample villain in his "writing villains" articles, for a nice self-loathing Elf. Well, Cambion, really, but you know what I mean. Is it hate that drives him? Disgust? Or shame at his heritage and self that he projects out onto the rest of his race?

Yes, yes, joke character, but method acting can really pay off in roleplay.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I actually have a similar character, namely an elf who was raised by humans and, frustrated at his comparative development speed, is convinced that humans are infinitely more intelligent than elves and would easily prove themselves superior if only they could live a little longer. He's a NE Wizard.

But I digress. If I were working with that character concept and _really_ wanted to be ironic, I'd heavily multiclass him, indicating that he is flighty and indecisive about his abilities, always vascillating between one path or another.

NE Elven Bard/Barbarian/Wizard/Ranger, anyone?

13. - Top - End - #13

As an alternate idea for those suggesting the Wizards due to firepower and all that, look at the Psion.

Although honestly, I really agree with the Ranger/Assassin. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Isnt there like some justice of whatever and whatever prestige class from some Forgotten Realms book? Champions of Ruin I think. Something dealing with hunting people more or less? That might work for your Ranger/Assassin type thingamajig. They get some good arrow spells if I remember correctly.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Cleric of Gruumsh?

Seriously though, I like the warmage idea best. You could even give him a "Black Mage" persona from Nuklear Power, and that's always fun. The popular Ranger/Assassin response works too.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #16

SamuraiGuy

Apart from the Wizard with Genocide: Elf thing, all these ideas are small scale. If you want to mess with the elves and reject everything they stand for, start as a druid and go into the Blighter class. Destroy their entire homeland, reject all this woodsy crap and embrace your destructive nature!!

See Complete Divine for details. 9th level spells by 15th level too

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by The_Pope View Post
    Isnt there like some justice of whatever and whatever prestige class from some Forgotten Realms book? Champions of Ruin I think. Something dealing with hunting people more or less? That might work for your Ranger/Assassin type thingamajig. They get some good arrow spells if I remember correctly.
    Justice of Weal and Woe?

If you go down the Ranger/Assassin route, see if you can pick up some of the most un-subtle asassin spells, like Fire Shurikn, or Heart-Ripper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Oooh, maybe the elf believes he is a half-elf. He was raised by a human who loved an elf but was rejected by said elf, the human abducted his love's child and raised him to hate elves (the bitter evil guy that he was).... that could be interesting, not quite in line with your idea neccessarily though
    Better yet, orcs.

Don't know how it'd work, but maybe they could just be the garden variety half-breeds.
    "You would not want to be staring that way at me." -Al Swearengen

"Crush your enemy, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women." -Conan

Let's harvest some kidneys!!

I'm not a magic fan but...:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait wait, that gives me an even crazier idea.

Half Elf, Half Orc.

Other than that, thanks for all the good ideas.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm, the justice of weal and woe is an elf PrC devoted to killing non-elves (flavor wise)... ironic to say the least.

In my view and anti-drizzt would be a wizard with no regard for others or the world around him. He would be judgmental, stereotyping and tak advantage of allies. Not merely an evil elf... A warmage perhaps. Or Artemis Entreri....

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, his class will depend of what he wants to be. He could play a Ranger, to hunt elves in their own element, or be a wizard to face them in equal terms, butt then again, these are typical elf-stuff, something he wouldn't want to do (specially ranger, that tends to be chaotic, and your elf hates chaos as much as good). Monk looks alright, breaks the stereotype, but he'd need to be lawful. Barbarian would be a counter-point to the dexterious Ranger. Fighter would be a neutral choice. Bards doesn't fit his raging style. Sorcerer could work, since it allows him to use magic, but works diferently from wizards, typical elf class. Clerics and druids would work only if he find a deity that helps him in his quest. Maybe a renegade Gruumsh elven cleric?

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

22. - Top - End - #22

An intelligence-based rogue with a swashbuckler dip for Insightful Strike could be dangerous to a spellcasting elf. Take the assassin prestige class too, that's good, and dread commando after that. I'd avoid ranger only because there's three stereotypical elven classes, and ranger's one of them. Focus on all of your stealth skills- hide, move silently, disguise, forgery, sleight of hand, etc. Your big trick is to steal an elf's most necessary posessions out from under their noses before they know you're there- especially spellbooks and signature weaponry- then get in close and deliver a poisoned insightful/sneak/death attack for horrifying damage. It isn't pretty, it can be risky, but I can't think of any better way to quickly dispose of a high level caster without being a high level caster yourself, which can be equally risky anyway.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

23. - Top - End - #23

Here's another idea for you. Grab the following books

1. Races of Destiny
    2. Expanded Psionic's Handbook
    3. Player's Handbook

You make yourself a rogue/psion and slightly alter the Scar Enforcer PrC to take it.

You now have the total Antithesis of a standard elf.

Rogue = Not woodsy, loves cities and stability, so he can exploit it
    Psion = The opposite of a Wizard, and FAR more focused
    Scar Enforcer = Gives you favored enemy (elf), Smite, and Hide in Plain Sight, as well as a half decent BAB and spellcasting (or in this case, psionic) progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Although that sounds good, my DM doesn't allow psionics. I dunno why, maybe it's just too much bookkeeping. I mean, if the problem was because he didn't have any psionics books, I'd buy 'em.

Actually, I'll ask.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I had a concept for an elf barbarian who dual-wielded two heavy picks. Hated elves, chose a fighting style that went completely against theirs, and manifested the chaoticness (he was CN) as fury and rage, not as the anti-hero rebel stereotype. Mechanically optimized? No, but he'd have been fun to play.
    "Thrice-cursed spell resistance! It's almost like the universe itself is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot."
    Nope, nothing to see here. Move along, citizen.

Avatar of Ba'el, the half-orc elemental savant, courtesy of Dire Penguin.

26. - Top - End - #26

Just to give you a rough idea of what the build looks like at level 20...

Sneak Attack +6d6
    Smite Enemy 3/day
    Hide in Plain Sight
    Evasion
    Uncanny Dodge
    Favored Enemy (Elves)

Manifesting as a Level 10 Psion
    BAB +12/+7/+2
    HD 15d8+5d4
    Base Fort Save: 5
    Base Reflex Save: 8
    Base Will Save: 12

You'd still have all your feats to throw onto it, the variation in your psionic discipline, and your stats. This could be an absolutely killer combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you can find a copy of Masters of the Wild, I think it had a ranger PrC that focused completely on killing one kind of enemy of your choice.
    Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class! -Leeky Windstaff, evil gnome druid

On yer feet an' face me! Ye may haf the upper hand in magic, but thar's na way a primary spellcaster like ye can survive in melee fer long if'n he hadn't prepared fer it!

Ah, right. Druid. Ne'er mind, then.
    -Durkon Thundershield

Thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

It's Foe Slayer. Among some powers, it gives you Death Strike, like an assassin's but related to favored enemy.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I checked with my current DM, and apparently I misunderstood him. Psionics just isn't allowed in our current setting. So I could still go the psionic routes.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

30. - Top - End - #30

To deal with the "so many elves so little time" issue, you could also go for some sort of diplomatic / charismatic fighter / marshal type, who's trying to work his way into a position of power and influence with a view to either personally launching an open war on the local elves or manipulating other forces into crushing them for you.

I'm guessing you can still be neutral evil if you're only interested in following orders if it suits your personal goals. And this has the advantage that pretty much anything you want to do is motivated - you can either do what your superiors tell you to in order work your way into their favour, or go out and do stuff in your own interests as soon as their backs are turned. Plus charismatic evil characters are cool. Think Steerpike from Gormenghast, maybe.