New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by SaintRidley; 2016-01-04 at 01:16 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Strip Summaries

Looks like I accidentally edited rather than replied and deleted the entry I'd proposed for 1016.

So, a new 1016 one. 1016: Dvalin must consult the elders. Time for the vampires to split.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #333

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

7. - Top - End - #337

8. - Top - End - #338

I much prefer this one. A summary should be factual rather than elliptic.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Probably, I just couldn't resist.

10. - Top - End - #340

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #342

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Durkon's banishment has technically been lifted since as far back as #375. I'd prefer something like "1024: Roy learns where to go next; the message from the High Priest of Thor to Durkon finally reaches the Order."

edit: or something about how this is old news that got blocked. My version is rather clumsy.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2016-02-16 at 03:13 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Durkon's banishment has technically been lifted since as far back as #375. I'd prefer something like "1024: Roy learns where to go next; the message from the High Priest of Thor to Durkon finally reaches the Order."

edit: or something about how this is old news that got blocked. My version is rather clumsy.
    We aren't going for faithful and exhaustive recount here, just a quick and easy to use tool (easy to use = short to read). I believe brevity should trump precision in nearly all cases. Anyway, "Durkon's banishment is lifted" is correct: It just doesn't say when exactly it happened. That's because this information isn't necessary, when all you want to do is find the comic from the summary.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    We aren't going for faithful and exhaustive recount here, just a quick and easy to use tool (easy to use = short to read). I believe brevity should trump precision in nearly all cases. Anyway, "Durkon's banishment is lifted" is correct: It just doesn't say when exactly it happened. That's because this information isn't necessary, when all you want to do is find the comic from the summary.
    How about "Roy learns where to go next, and that Durkon's banishment is lifted"? Roy did learn both those things, after all. The "that" is rather optional, too.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Book 6 summaries haven't been updated since November.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    The Book 6 summaries haven't been updated since November.
    Jeez, it's been that long? Sorry everyone - I've been heavily stuck mobile blogging recently, which makes it a pain to update. I'll get on that tonight though.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    How about "Roy learns where to go next, and that Durkon's banishment is lifted"? Roy did learn both those things, after all. The "that" is rather optional, too.
    It's wholly unnecessary imo, but if you insist, why not. But don't you think we're overthinking this a just a little?

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Jeez, it's been that long? Sorry everyone - I've been heavily stuck mobile blogging recently, which makes it a pain to update. I'll get on that tonight though.
    No rush. I don't think anybody is using the summaries to find a strip with in the past dozen or two.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    It's wholly unnecessary imo, but if you insist, why not. But don't you think we're overthinking this a just a little?
    The cost of two extra syllables to your proposed summary for the payoff of extra clarity for anyone reading the summary? It seems a worthy trade to me.

If someone did happen to catch the summary for 375 over six hundred summaries before, reading "Roy learns where to go next, Durkon's banishment is lifted." could very well trigger a "wait, didn't that already happen?" break in the personal chain of thought, which is going to consume more time than reading a couple short words will.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #350
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Significantly better than mine. And in general, I think accuracy is of critical importance in a summary because it is short. The goal is not just to quickly pass information to the reader but to quickly pass correct information. Anything that needs to be justified with technicalities over the meaning of a tense in order to evade the charge of being misleading ought to be avoided.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2016-02-16 at 10:14 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

21. - Top - End - #351

The cost of two extra syllables to your proposed summary for the payoff of extra clarity for anyone reading the summary? It seems a worthy trade to me.

If someone did happen to catch the summary for 375 over six hundred summaries before, reading "Roy learns where to go next, Durkon's banishment is lifted." could very well trigger a "wait, didn't that already happen?" break in the personal chain of thought, which is going to consume more time than reading a couple short words will.
    Yup, we're totally overthinking this, thanks for confirming.

Seriously, though: the summary isn't an educational tool. It just a quick reference list meant to find any strip without combing through the comic page by page. Anyone who begins to draw conclusions, whether wrong or correct, from the summary's language is just using the wrong tool.

... That said, I'm fine with adding two words if that makes you more comfortable.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #353
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think including that adjective is editorializing, and it would be simpler to use the word "and" instead of "also".

1025: Wrecan gives Roy his copy of Weapons of Legacy and a speech about inevitable and unplannable death.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For summary purposes, I feel like it might be better to focus on why that speech is so significant to people, as in (hypothetical writeup):

"1025: Wrecan gives Roy his copy of Weapons of Legacy, while paying tribute to his real-life namesake."
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

25. - Top - End - #355

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    For summary purposes, I feel like it might be better to focus on why that speech is so significant to people, as in (hypothetical writeup):

"1025: Wrecan gives Roy his copy of Weapons of Legacy, while paying tribute to his real-life namesake."
    This is much better.

26. - Top - End - #356

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by SaintRidley; 2016-03-21 at 10:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358

29. - Top - End - #359

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-03-29 at 11:57 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est