New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Strip Summaries

Her lack of self-awareness has everything to do with why she's standing there with Bandana tied up.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

... Which only distantly relates to the fact the ship is trapped. By your line of reasoning, one could just as well say that Julio is responsible for the ship's present situation, since he chose the crew.

I guess my beef here is: This makes it less of a summary and more of a commentary - an opinionated one, too. I think it's wholly unnecessary. That said, it doesn't defeat the purpose of the summary, since it's still usable to find the strip. So I guess I'm not going to make it a big deal. It's just a bit of unneeded weight.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Her lack of self-awareness is pointed out in-comic. It's worth including it in the summary.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I think you're just being overly pedantic about that one. I de-editorialized and removed "is stupid" and added common sense to the lack.

1073: Andi decides to engineer her way out of the problem; the frost giant catches and throws a rock.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-05-29 at 09:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Summary looks good to me, although I think the link you want is this one: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1074.html

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Fixed. Missed the right click on the right spot.

8. - Top - End - #428

9. - Top - End - #429
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This only covers the last 2/3 or so of the comic, and misses the (apparent, at least) end of the Bandana vs Andi subplot. I'd suggest:

1075: Bandana finally gets some respect around here; another villain is tossed off an airship.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2017-06-06 at 08:27 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

10. - Top - End - #430

I might be in the minority, but I'm going to give you the same objection I gave SaintRidley above: Yours is more of a commentary and less of a summary. The point about respect for Bandana isn't particularly helpful with finding the strip in the long list (which is the goal of the summary), because it was already there in the last strip. On the other hand, why are neither Roy or the giantess worth mentioning explicitly?

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I might be in the minority, but I'm going to give you the same objection I gave SaintRidley above: Yours is more of a commentary and less of a summary. The point about respect for Bandana isn't particularly helpful with finding the strip in the long list (which is the goal of the summary), because it was already there in the last strip. On the other hand, why are neither Roy or the giantess worth mentioning explicitly?
    "Bandana beats Andi, then teams with Roy to throw the giant overboard"?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Perhaps "Bandana puts Andi in her place, then teams with Roy to throw the giantess overboard"

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    Perhaps "Bandana puts Andi in her place, then teams with Roy to throw the giantess overboard"
    Better, I think.

14. - Top - End - #434

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    I could back that. I was trying to work in a reference to Elan's joke at the end and couldn't quite get it working.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #436

17. - Top - End - #437

Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-06-30 at 07:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I liiiiive

I've been very busy with RL stuff, as you guys may have finished. I'll keep updating the first post whenever I get a chance, but if anyone does ever feel like taking over when we finally get to the next thread, you are welcome to. In the meantime, give me a few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    DaggerPen (and everyone else helping with this), you might have noticed that I'm going to be relaunching the OOTS by Final Post Count project soon* (with permission from B. Dandelion). B. Dandelion used to include her own descriptions for the comics in the various charts, but I wanted to start from scratch on those descriptions since there will be new ones added constantly.

Well, sort of. What I'd actually like to do is have permission to use the OOTS Strip Summaries for the descriptions for the various charts that will be put in. Still deciding whether or not I want to have the option to include my own descriptions if I think the Strip Summaries aren't quite descriptive enough, but I'm leaning against it because laziness is a virtue consistency is a virtue. Plus it might not be very nice to ask permission to use these and then change them occasionally.

Naturally, I would credit this thread as the source of the descriptions in the opening post.

Anywho, just wanted to ask permission to use these Strip Summaries in the OOTS by Final Post Count project, perhaps as necessary.

* Soon, folks, soon. But the house remodeling that is going on at Castle Porthos is taking up a lot of my free time to supervise.

I see that this thread is still marked as "Coming soon" in your signature, so I may actually be 'in time' with this response - yeah, go for it!

EDIT: Okay, and that's the first post all updated now!
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2017-06-30 at 07:41 PM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

19. - Top - End - #439

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I liiiiive

I've been very busy with RL stuff, as you guys may have finished. I'll keep updating the first post whenever I get a chance, but if anyone does ever feel like taking over when we finally get to the next thread, you are welcome to.
    It will be a long time until we need the next thread for this: By the present average rate, it would take another 300-350 strips. That said, I wouldn't mind taking over if you'd like me to. This thread is really useful, and it isn't more work than I can handle.

Okay, and that's the first post all updated now!
    A couple of line returns are missing, by the way.

EDIT - and I wanted to say, welcome back!
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-06-30 at 09:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    It will be a long time until we need the next thread for this: By the present average rate, it would take another 300-350 strips. That said, I wouldn't mind taking over if you'd like me to. This thread is really useful, and it isn't more work than I can handle.

A couple of line returns are missing, by the way.

EDIT - and I wanted to say, welcome back!
    Hrm, I found one but am I missing any? I didn't spy any at a glance.

And thank you! Both for the welcome and for the offer. I'll hold out a bit longer and see if I can be more up to date, but if I ever get really behind again or this thread does actually make it to the point where it needs to be restarted anyway I may take you up on that.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

21. - Top - End - #441

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hrm, I found one but am I missing any? I didn't spy any at a glance.

And thank you! Both for the welcome and for the offer. I'll hold out a bit longer and see if I can be more up to date, but if I ever get really behind again or this thread does actually make it to the point where it needs to be restarted anyway I may take you up on that.
    I see missing returns between:

- 1020/1021
    - 1050/1051

Also, I think there might be an extra return at the very beginning of the DStP spoiler? And I notice a bunch of pre-DStP summaries use dashes rather than colons after the strip number. Finally, #1024 is not numbered at all.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-07-10 at 08:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

DaggerPen, hoping you forgive me for the plug, but I figured someone in this group might have some interest.

I'm not sure if anyone who likes to summarize these strips are interested, but the thread I curate that handles Transcribing the Comic is in need of some help! I've got a bunch that haven't been claimed yet, unfortunately of anything after 1025. So if you want to check that out, follow the link!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

No worries about the plug, Wombat! I might gently shoo you out in a non-vigilante-modding way if it were a plug for, like, an OOTS betting thread or something, but the Transcription is a closely related project to which I've contributed - heck, I'm surprised I didn't plug it in the first post.

Speaking of the first post, holy crap these new comics backlogged quickly. I'll edit the first post with the new summaries in a few minutes, and hunt down those missing line breaks.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with anything, but I just wanted to note that for all the years I've seen you around these forums I have mentally parsed the smokestack behind the giant wombat in your icon as an inexplicably smoking hat that the wombat was wearing and your icon now makes so much more sense.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2017-07-10 at 06:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

No worries about the plug, Wombat! I might gently shoo you out in a non-vigilante-modding way if it were a plug for, like, an OOTS betting thread or something, but the Transcription is a closely related project to which I've contributed - heck, I'm surprised I didn't plug it in the first post.

Speaking of the first post, holy crap these new comics backlogged quickly. I'll edit the first post with the new summaries in a few minutes, and hunt down those missing line breaks.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with anything, but I just wanted to note that for all the years I've seen you around these forums I have mentally parsed the smokestack behind the giant wombat in your icon as an inexplicably smoking hat that the wombat was wearing and your icon now makes so much more sense.
    Hahaha, it's actually a smoking building that the Wombat has already destroyed.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

26. - Top - End - #446

27. - Top - End - #447

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think we should probably mention the world 1.0 info. I'd modify to:

1082: Hel complains about how her worship has changed since the previous world.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-07-17 at 08:27 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

World Building Projects:
    Magic

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    I think we should probably mention the world 1.0 info. I'd modify to:

1082: Hel complains about how her worship has changed since the previous world.
    The previous world has never been much of a factor in the story. I think that sort of detail will be quickly forgotten and isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    1083: Hel's bet with Thor. That would be enough words

If you aren't into best brevity, Wombat's version works, too.