New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Reactions by alignment

Here's a situation. I'm trying to figure out the reactions three people would have. They are Lawful Good, Neutral Good, and Chaotic Good. (Assume also that these are their actual names. They're brothers.)

They meet an old, wise mentor figure named True Neutral. True tells them that he has what they desperately need to escape a dire, dire situation. In the process he admits that the situation was brought about because he cooperated with Lawful Evil. Furthermore, he does not regret doing so in the slightest, and would do it all again for a Klondike bar.

What do the three brothers say?

Edit: (By the way, this is not for an RPG, but for a story. I'm trying to give people different reactions, but they end up all taking different routes to the same conclusion.)
    Last edited by Tiiba; 2014-01-15 at 09:56 AM.
    Just a heads-up: That coffee we gave you earlier had fluorescent calcium in it so we can track the neuronal activity in your brain. There's a slight chance the calcium could harden and vitrify your frontal lobe. Anyway, don't stress yourself thinking about it. I'm serious. Visualizing the scenario while under stress actually triggers the reaction.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Reactions by alignment

It really depends on your players. There is a reason alignment is so often debated.

Chaotic Good may be the most willing to cooperate with True Neutral...as he is willing to do underhanded things for the greater good. However, should True Neutral's actions offend him, he is also the most likely want to take vigilante justice.

Lawful Good may feel that he could never work with such and amoral person and that True Neutral must be brought to justice for his crime. However, he could also feel innocent lives must be protected now and justice for True Neutral can wait.

Neutral Good is going to be the hardest to predict. You are totally at the mercy of the player's moral compass.

...and of course they are just as likely to do none of the above. I would be ready for multiple different reactions.
    Last edited by ElenionAncalima; 2014-01-15 at 10:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Say it with me, people: Alignment is not personality.

Seriously - there's no way to answer this based on alignment. It's a function of the details of the situation, the exact relationship with True, and the personalities (not alignments) of the brothers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Mostly what TheStranger said. There are more than nine different possible outlooks on life. Knowing a person's alignment tells you a little about their personality and viewpoints, but far too little to predict their reaction to a complicated situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiiba View Post
    They meet an old, wise mentor figure named True Neutral. True tells them that he has what they desperately need to escape a dire, dire situation. In the process he admits that the situation was brought about because he cooperated with Lawful Evil. Furthermore, he does not regret doing so in the slightest, and would do it all again for a Klondike bar.
    And even after what I just said about alignment not predicting a person's actions...unless he has a strong redeeming side you haven't told us about, I would have trouble describing this guy as Neutral. He knows his actions caused great harm, but would do it again? Is he convinced that, overall, he was acting for the greater good, or does he just not care if he harms people? If it's the latter, that's a distinctly evil outlook.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd say that here the problem is more that you are varying the Lawful aspect of their personalities, but the situation as -- simply -- described actually relates more to Good than it does to Lawful. The Law/Chaos axis is essentially no more than "Do you follow your own conscience or do you follow the rules even if they conflict with your own personal feelings?" Lawful characters follow the rules even if they personally, at that point, think that not following the rules will lead to the better outcome as per their other axis, while Chaotic ones follow their own personal judgements even if the rules say otherwise. so, in this case here, speaking strictly on the Law/Chaos axis:

LG: "Was there any law broken? Will I be breaking any law in taking your aid?" (remember that being LG and being a Paladin are not the same thing).
    NG: "Hmmm. I don't think I'll be breaking any laws, and it might be worth it to get out of the situation anyway."
    CG: "As long as my personal conscience doesn't make me disapprove of you personally, I don't see why I shouldn't help."

But then that does come down to personality, and comes down to how each character FEELS about working with someone who caused the situation and did it with someone who's evil.

A better differentiator would be if the association here would involve breaking the law:

LG: "I'm not going to break the law to get out of this situation. I'll find another way or accept the consequences."
    NG: "I don't want to break the law, but if the situation is bad enough ..."
    CG: "That it's illegal doesn't say anything about whether or not I should work with you."

But, yes, personality comes into all cases as well, but I think that the reason they all come up the same is that the sitaution calls for a judgement based on the Good/Evil alignment axis, but you're only changing the Lawful one. Think about it for, say, NG, True Neutral, and NE:

NG: "I have a problem working with someone who not only works with evil, but does so wilingly and unapologeticaly" (which doesn't mean that they wouldn't work with them).
    True Neutral: "If it works out the way I want, I'll work with anyone".
    NE: "... What's the problem?"
    BSG PBF record on BGG: 16 - 17.

"For a nice guy, you're kind of a jerk" - Ayane, P4: The Animation

"Stop saving the world and get a hobby" - Seto Kaiba

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

They all say "sure I'll help you, I don't like who you cooperate with but you don't deserve this dire, dire fate, I can't live with myself if I look and do nothing".

Then they have different ideas about how to resolve the situation.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2014-01-15 at 10:49 AM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    They all say "sure I'll help you, I don't like who you cooperate with but you don't deserve this dire, dire fate, I can't live with myself if I look and do nothing".

Then they have different ideas about how to resolve the situation.
    The Goods are in the bind, not TN.

Thanks guys. I see my problem now - I didn't do enough to figure out my characters' personalities. That's why they all think like me.
    Last edited by Tiiba; 2014-01-15 at 10:59 AM.
    Just a heads-up: That coffee we gave you earlier had fluorescent calcium in it so we can track the neuronal activity in your brain. There's a slight chance the calcium could harden and vitrify your frontal lobe. Anyway, don't stress yourself thinking about it. I'm serious. Visualizing the scenario while under stress actually triggers the reaction.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post

Seriously - there's no way to answer this based on alignment. It's a function of the details of the situation, the exact relationship with True, and the personalities (not alignments) of the brothers.
    This.
    Not much else to say.
    Last edited by Kalmageddon; 2014-01-15 at 10:59 AM.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesą!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure all three of them would say some variation on "Give me the thing, and I'd better not catch you doing that again, Klondike bar or not."
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post

This. Alignments aren't people.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I should write a story where characters are named things like L. Goode and C. Eville.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I should write a story where characters are named things like L. Goode and C. Eville.
    And C. would be the the paladin trying to prevent Erythnul from sponsoring L.'s apotheosis.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The alignment system is not a way to determine thoughts or actions. It is a (poor) tool for characterizing thoughts and actions after you've decided what they are.

My recommendation: When creating a character, first figure out how he or she thinks (I find it helps to compare the character to a real-world or fictional person, with changes. "She's like Elena in The Mask of Zorro, but she never trusted her father." "He's like Gilligan, but without the quiet dignity."

Then work up stats, skills, feats, etc.

Finally, after the character is complete in your mind, ask yourself what alignment that character is.

Don't decide she is Lawful Neutral and build from that. Decide that she thinks a certain way, build her actions and abilities from that, and then figure out (not decide) what her alignment is.
    "Begin with an individual, and before you know it you have created a type; begin with a type, and you find you have created – nothing."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Last edited by Jay R; 2014-01-15 at 07:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

As others have said, there's simply not enough information in your presented scenario to reasonably judge what characters of those alignments might do in response.

There's also the not so minor issue of the fact that, however they react, it's not a result of their alignment. How they react is a result of their individual personalities; their upbringing, their personal foibles, past experiences with similar situations, etc; and -that- determines their alignment.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2014-01-16 at 07:33 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Here is the crucial observation, that will help explain everything else:

There are more than nine ways for people to react.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Here is the crucial observation, that will help explain everything else:

There are more than nine ways for people to react.
    This is true, there are ten.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    This is true, there are ten.
    {table]LG | NG | CG
    LN | TN | CN
    LE | NE | CE
    [/table]

I count nine here.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    {table]LG | NG | CG
    LN | TN | CN
    LE | NE | CE
    [/table]

I count nine here.
    You left out the three most common D&D alignments - Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Back-stabbing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You left out the three most common D&D alignments - Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Back-stabbing.
    Actually those three are all parts of one alignment: Player Characters. You can have all three present in one character and have it work even if they are annoying as all get out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

{table]LG | NG | CG
    LN | TN | CN
    LE | NE | CE
    [/table]

I count nine here.
    Well if you don't know the tenth one I'm afraid I can't tell you about it, it's super-secret.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

{table]LG | NG | CG
    LN | TN | CN
    LE | NE | CE
    [/table]

I count nine here.
    I count 362 880, since you can be any combination.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

I count 362 880, since you can be any combination.
    How did you get that number?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

How did you get that number?
    Nine factorial.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Nine factorial.
    There are only nine alignment combinations: Each one of the boxes I made is a combination in itself. One cannot combine, for example, Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil to get a new alignment.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

There are only nine alignment combinations: Each one of the boxes I made is a combination in itself. One cannot combine, for example, Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil to get a new alignment.
    Well technically since you can have tendencies, you could be Lawful Lawful Good, or Chaotic Neutral (Evil), which opens up quite a few more possibilities. Depending on how you want to factor things.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Unless you do alignmentshifts on a daily basis. If you can do up to 9 in one day then it's possible to have 9! number of ways to react.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Unless you do alignmentshifts on a daily basis. If you can do up to 9 in one day then it's possible to have 9! number of ways to react.
    I am completely lost as to why this is a thing. Why would having previously been of alignment X affect your reaction in a way that is substantially different from currently being of alignment Y? How are these alignments shifting almost diametrically (from LN to CE, say) without intermediate steps and nigh-instantaneously? What is the source of the arbitrary nine switches/day figure?

I just ... I just don't understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Even if everyone says its impossible to answer, I'm going to try my luck:

LG: "Why should I trust you, if you brought us into this mess in the first place?"
    NG: "I might overlook what you did, if you get us out of here"
    CG: "I'm still not sure if I should kick you before or after we get outta here"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Evo_Kaer View Post
    Even if everyone says its impossible to answer, I'm going to try my luck:

LG: "Why should I trust you, if you brought us into this mess in the first place?"
    NG: "I might overlook what you did, if you get us out of here"
    CG: "I'm still not sure if I should kick you before or after we get outta here"
    All of those are entirely reasonable reactions, and consistent with the given alignments. However, that's primarily because you could justify any of the nine alignments having any of those reactions (possibly with slight differences in wording). You're making assumptions about the personalities that go along with each alignment.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

I'm sorry, but according to the D&D alignment system, how can a person that willingly creates a situation that places other people in immediate danger of physical harm only so he can abuse their situation and offer help in exchange for a reward be described as True Neutral? It seems to me the (wise?) old man is Evil himself.
    Last edited by Lorsa; 2014-01-17 at 08:28 AM.
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.