Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 755
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Consciousness returns to you slowly and with the throbbing pain of a concussion. With your awareness of the world slowly returning and sharpening, so too due your memories.

    You had been flying back to X-COM HQ, located beneath Mount Irongullet, an abandoned dwarven mining hold in the unclaimed mountain range between the Kingdom of Forectu and Hausenberg. You had received the unbelievable report that X-COM HQ itself had come under X-D attack, and were hurrying back with all due haste aboard one of X-COM's experimental Skyranger airships.

    The sun has long since gone down beneath the horizon by the time you arrive back at your home, but this only makes the truth more self-evident. Fires burn up and down the slope of the mountain, the remains of crashed airships and defensive positions, and something else that is awe-inspiring. At periodic intervals of roughly a minute, a shooting star descends from the heavens as a fiery blaze that crashes down into Mount Irongullet, leaving a smoking hole or burning crater in the mountainside.

    That sight is all you have time to take in before without warning an unearthly shriek fills the air and a glinting streak of reflected moonlight descends on your Skyranger from above. There is a flash of green fire, an explosion, and then you know nothing more before awakening here.


    Here, bruised and battered on the ground amongst the broken wreckage of your Skyranger - the wooden frame and the corpse of the giant beast it had been carried upon, the bodies of its crew, and what few survivors there are. Some of your squad didn't make it, and you're pretty sure the X-Ds that you had been bringing back as prisoners didn't make it either. Looming before you is the slopes of Mount Irongullet. There was an entrance at the base of the mountain near your crash site, but between you and there were the scattered wrecks of half a dozen airships, an unknown number of X-Ds, and that shrieking, glinting monstrosity that had effortlessly blown you out of the sky. If you were going to survive, you would need to explore the nearby wrecks and try to find more survivors.

    (Assume that while your pride and ribs are bruised, you are still at full health despite the crash. Likewise, for those of you who have been in combat before now, you may treat yourselves as having taken an extended rest during the ride back to HQ. You are near to the remains of your squad's Skyranger, and while the bodies of a giant eagle and a winged serpent are providing you with cover for the moment, that won't last very long (in your case Irish Musician, you were aboard a standard air balloon equipped airship that was a supply ship bringing you in towards the base when it was attacked. The explosion threw you clear, and you found yourself nearby to the crashed airships of the other two squads. You may all explore the immediate environs right now and find each other and form up - you are the only survivors of all three wrecks, although there are a few more between you and the base's ground-level entrance should you wish to explore them. I would prefer if you did not advance beyond the wreckage of your airships just yet, however.)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-15 at 10:08 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    "Oh, for [email protected]%& sake!" says Cinder, as she shakes her way upright. Her immediate ground is covered in flakes of sparkly red dust, which glows briefly before becoming indistinct in the dark ground. "I swear to Sehanine that when I catch the thing that shot us down, I'll feed it its own feet."

    A few more shakes, and her tiny frame lifts into the air. She stares at one of her splattered ex-companions "I'm glad I had more to fear from the wind than the fall, but obviously being bigger is not a good idea when plummeting to the ground." Then, sparing a final thought for the eagle, she makes her way a foot above the gory remains of the soldiers, checking those whose fall might have been cushioned by the winged beasts and thus stand a chance of being alive.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-18 at 11:42 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)


    When he at last comes to, Kaeravak lets out an agonized groan from his position amidst the rubble of the Skyranger. It is decidedly uncomfortable to say the least: many flames lick at the tiefling's exposed flesh, whilst debris smoulders like giant embers strewn atop his body, emitting a gentle light against the night's darkness. Fortunately the heat proves unequal to his preternatural resilience, unable to singe or sear where it ought to a human. After the passage of several stunned moments, the pyromancer regains some modicum of sense in the realization of his immediate predicament, clasping a scarlet hand about one of the burning planks atop his chest which he clumsily tosses aside.

    Beyond this entrapment and the pressure of splintered ruins pressing upon his body, the first thing Kaeravak notices is the unmistakable stench of burning flesh and wood. As soon as its frightful implication dawns, adrenaline pierces his heart like a galvanizing shock, hastening his efforts and driving the tiefling into a frenzy which quickly scatters the last of the pinning boards.

    "Syrin!? Waifera!? Dolien!?"

    The soldier shouts with instinctive alarm before his training kicks in, choking off his cries to a sudden silence.

    When he has at last removed enough of the wreckage to stand, he crouches low, surveying the blazing husk that had once been his ride, his eyes keen for any survivors... or hostiles that might be seeking them.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder is checking one of the strewn bodies for signs of life when a movement to her left catches her eye. Her arm instinctively points at it, but as more debris slides of, he notices a human shape. She zig-zags across the empty field between her eagle and the giant serpent, still warily considering the shape - but then she notices something that reduces the possibilities of the person being an enemy.

    "Is your leg supposed to be on fire?" she asks for way of greeting, as she reaches Kaeravak.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Upon hearing the pixie, Kaeravak whirls about to face her, his dagger implement raised with instinctive preparation, its blade already suffused with an incendiary glow by the time it levels with the target. The tiefling's eyes widen in uncomprehending disbelief, again shaking his head, clearly attributing their sight more to a presumed concussion than anything else. A silent moment passes until he at last sees fit to interact with the apparent hallucination, recognition flashing across his features.

    "B team right? I think I remember you; you're that wisecracking fey from orientation."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    "B team right? I think I remember you; you're that wisecracking fey from orientation."
    "Yep, although not sure 'B team' exists anymore, to be 'onest. The bastard that hit us killed our eagle, and you large 'uns don't take falls well." Looking around, she spots a body in the surrounding debris. "Give me a hand, will you?" she says, hovering over a large beam and holding to one end.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-16 at 12:06 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "Let's not give up on our squadmates just yet. If I survived, surely others did, though we've got to act fast; I just hope you've got the strength to help me dig em out."

    When Cinder notices a body buried among the rubble, Kaeravak quickly sprints over, hands tightly gripping the outside of the beam. Checking that his companion is ready, he labours to heft the fragment aside.

    "You pixies have shrinking abilities don't you? Might come in handy if we need to remove a truly large piece of debris."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum opens his eyes and is looking up at the sky, not where he had been looking before. His right eye is shut off at the moment, going to have to fix that, but his left, organic, eye seems to be working fine. He gives a whack or two to his right side and his robotic eyes turns back on. He scans the area and sees the remnants of his balloon mixed with the scraps of something else he is not familiar with. He gets up on his feet and stares around at the wreckage, still trying to make sense of what happened, when he hears voices. He steps over wreckage, and unfortunately dead bodies, and up a small hill to find a pixie and a tiefling talking to each other.

    Not really thinking straight he immediately opens his mouth. Those that hear him notice an odd quality to his voice, as if he vocal chords had been partly replaced by metal....because they had. "Hello? What happened? Where are we? Everyone ok over there?" When they look over they see one of the oddest looking creatures, if that is the right word, standing just slightly above them on a small hill. This thing does seem to have flesh in parts, but mostly seems like some sort of robot thing. The right side of its head and right eye are metal, with a green glowing eye, but its left side is still organic, and even has a horn on top. Its right arm is all metal, and most of its left arm, save for the hand. You can't really see its chest or below its belt and legs, due to a uniform and feet. But the part of the uniform that is open just below the neck shows a mostly organic chest, with some metal peeking out. Hands up in the air, the creature starts to walk towards you.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    "Let's not give up on our squadmates just yet. If I survived, surely others did, though we've got to act fast; I just hope you've got the strength to help me dig em out.""You pixies have shrinking abilities don't you? Might come in handy if we need to remove a truly large piece of debris."
    As Cinder struggles to lift the beam, a shower of sparks rains from her wings onto the beam, briefly illuminating it. The beam becomes considerably lighter - but even then, Cinder clearly is straining to lift it. "Yep, we do. Also can make things float. Helps with carryin' the 'eavy stuff."

    The beam is pushed aside, and Cinder descends and sits on it, legs dangling, wiping her brow. "And I ain't given up on you big 'uns. But lets be real: them bastards hit us, and hit us well. I lost half my clutch sisters the first night th'orcs attacked my forest, and they were cuddly and forgivin' compared to these sonofa%$#^&@s. Surprise favours the attacker - I learnt that the hard way."

    Spoiler
    Show
    7 inches tall and can lift 80 pounds? Yeah, my headcanon is that the flying powder can be used on inanimate objects


    Edit:
    Cinder misses the... thing? as it approaches, too worried with what is happening on the opposite direction. She turns with a start when it starts talking, and says, "Oy! Keep them booming voice down." Then, as her eyes take in the creature, she is stunned into silence. After a pregnant pause, she takes off into the air with a buzz, and flies up to eye level "The hell are you? 'ave I seen you before? You weren't in our scout groups, weren't you?"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-16 at 03:12 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    The pixie sees one eye seem to zoom in and out, staring at her, and the "thing" smiles, "Heh, no. Look at me, do I look like a scout to you, little one? My name is Ferrum, now, and I am what you might call a "brain-child" made by XCOM. But we can get to that later.....right now it would behoove us to find anyone else who might have survived and get under some cover. Those X-D bastards might be back sooner than we would like. Let me help you to look for some more survivors."

    Ferrum intertwines his fingers and "cracks" his knuckles, a habit left over from before, and starts lifting up and moving pieces of the wreckage to try and find more survivors. He seems to left things with relative ease and continues to talk to the other two, "So to explain a little more, this is not my original body, as you may have guessed. I was once a fey creature much like yourself, little pixie, that lived in the forest with my people, Satyrs. I am a warden of the forest, a protector, and I wanted to keep it protected from these invaders. So I went and volunteered with the army. I got my training and got out into the battles. I had only been in a few battles when my squad got a little surprise from our enemy. The X-D's left a present in our camp, a bomb, and right as we were waking and all moving about, it exploded. Everyone died, except for myself......"

    Ferrum trails off and stops lifting for a moment, lost in thought, "But I was not myself anymore. I lose most of my body and know not how I survived, but XCOM found me and decided to try something. With my consent, we will see if that was a wise decision or not, they did to me what you see. Using their magics, alchemy, and parts made of iron from blacksmiths they fashioned this body you see. Though, there are parts inside of me that I am not even sure what are. But I am alive and able to fight the m$#&@ #$%@#$ers who killed my squad and destroyed my body." Ferrum stops again and looks at the other two, his green eye turning red, "They will be sorry that they didn't kill me.....I will make sure of it."
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
    "Heh, no. Look at me, do I look like a scout to you, little one? "
    "Eh" grunts Cinder, with a shrug. "All you big 'uns look too frickin' large for scouts to me, but them's the breaks."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
    My name is Ferrum, now, and I am what you might call a "brain-child" made by XCOM."
    "You'll get along with Kaeravak here, then - burning boy is another X-COM experiment, although he says he volunteered. And I'm Cinder, Cinder Ashborn. I myself was 'volunteered' by my Fey Court. Still, no complaints, it was borin', not havin' an enemy to fight no more."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
    Ferrum starts lifting up and moving pieces of the wreckage to try and find more survivors. He seems to left things with relative ease
    Cinder eyes the ex-satyr as he handles pieces of broken wood that would have taken all of hers and Kaeravak's strength to move being tossed around as if they were no lighter than splinters. After listening to Ferrum's little reminiscence, and nodding along, Cinder decides she is probably more useful scouting. "Ferrum, you keep doin' the liftin'. I'm gonna make sure the bastards don't surprise us while you do so."

    Cinder moves a ways away, and melds into the shadows.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-16 at 05:46 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum smiles in a rather jovial way while lifting rubble and nodding at the Tiefling, "Nice to meet ya, fellow experiment. I didn't figure I'd be the only one around. And sounds like a plan, little Cinder, You watch my back and I will protect your front. That's what I do, keep them focused on me so that others can bring 'em down. And trust me, after a few seconds of my lovely personality....they will be itching to beat on me." He ends with a wink, but keeps an eye open himself for not only attackers but for survivors.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+9)[15](24)
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak says nothing as the two exchange words, apparently more concerned with the well-being of the crewman they just freed... and his surroundings. Indeed, the tiefling constantly alternates between tending to the fallen soldier and performing periodic visual sweeps with his dagger while keeping a wary eye on the newcomer, his actions very much orthodox and rigourously consistent with orientation training.


    As Ferrum draws near and acknowledges the pyromancer, he nods his recognition, lips parting:

    "Once you're done sweeping, I'll help you sift through this mess while Cinder keeps an eye out. If you know anything about healing, this poor guy here could probably use some."

    He indicates the unconscious squaddie sprawled out at his feet.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    (Just to give you folks something to do while we get the other half of our party in here and until the weekend, when I'll have time to prepare the battlemap and such for our first combat encounters).

    As the last of the rubble is removed from the unfortunate squaddie pinned beneath the rubble, Kaeravak is able to recognize her as his squadmate Waifera, although her injuries made such recognition difficult at first. One of her horns has been completely snapped off, the same violent impact that has done that gouging out that side of her head and coming very close to scalping her. A variety of more minor scrapes, cuts, and bruises dot her body, until coming to an end at her knees. Waifera's wounds come to an end there because there is nothing left of her below that - just past her knees both of her legs end in bloody ragged stumps. Bloody ragged stumps that begin to steadily ooze blood now that the weight of the rubble, which had been acting as a makeshift tourniquet on her legs has been removed.

    Spoiler: OOC - Explanation
    Show
    Predictably, giving Waifera the ability to spend a healing surge here isn't going to cut it. She needs immediate medical attention via application of the Heal skill - gain a +2 circumstance bonus if you have bandages and materials to make tourniquets for what's left of her legs. Hitting DC 20 will save her life and stabilize her, DC 15 will pause her bleeding out long enough to grant you another round. She will automatically fail one of her death saving throws at the end of each round of rolls, barring hitting that DC 15 Heal - I think you can figure out what happens after she fails three such throws. Other skills might also be useful here if you can think of a clever use, although I will not accept silliness like using Athletics to bend her into a pretzel to stop the bleeding, or Intimidate to convince her blood to stay inside her. )


    Meanwhile, Cinder finds a suitable vantage point to hide and make sense of her surroundings, while Ferrum simply moves a short distance away from the burning wrecks of the airships and peers out into the darkness beyond. Ferrum's sharp eyes can pick up the movement in the night sky above - the silver streak that had shot the airships down, now a coin-sized oval of glinting metal, was lazily circling the field of crashed airships. It was clearly in some sort of patrol pattern, either simply waiting or actively looking for more targets to destroy. Below it, the burning wrecks of another half dozen airships speak mute testimony to just how effective of a hunter this silver oval was.

    A little bit off to one side of the carcass-strewn field a long furrow has been carved into the ground. At the end of that furrow was a far larger airship that appears to have somehow survived somewhat intact - the H.H.A. Archangel, an airship cruiser from Nuwessen that had just happened to be on training maneuvers with Whitehill's navy. Of course, that was just a cover story - X-COM had requisitioned the cruiser to provide heavy air support should that prove necessary. Ferrum can faintly make out the sounds of battle from the direction of the cruiser, and make out lights still burning inside one of the cabins, rather than the light coming from a fire burning on the deck. He can also see shadowy figures moving about all over the field amongst the wrecks, hunting. Some of them seem to be forming up to head in this direction, the location of the newest two additions to the airship graveyard that horrible metal thing up in the sky had created outside Mount Irongullet. The figures heading this way were several minutes distant, particularly at their unhurried pace, but they were coming.

    (They'll get here for a fight on the weekend - for now, don't worry about them. )
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    When Khitan comes back to itself, he realizes where he is and for a second he thinks "Am I in a afterlife plane?" But, then, his vision starts to regain focus and he realizes that he is in a wreck and all come to mind, the crash, the screams and the fire...

    Khitan's mind immediately goes to Raven Queen, knowing that it was fate that he was alive and the other - some of his teammates maybe? - are dead, he then make a small pray for the Raven Queen, not thanking or anything, just asking safe passage to the afterlife for his deceased friends.

    When Khitan finishes his prayer he listens to the unmistakable voice of Cinder. He thanks to Sehanine and asks so it is not an Illusion created by the night; and says "Cinder?! Is that you?" and starts going toward the direction of Cinder's voice.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-17 at 09:59 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    When Khitan finishes his prayer he listens to the unmistakable voice of Cinder. He thanks to Sehanine and asks so it is not an Illusion created by the night; and says "Cinder?! Is that you?" and starts going toward the direction of Cinder's voice.
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder's head turns in the direction of the familiar voice. Under the bright light of the full moon, she sees Khitan make his way out of the wreckage of the eagle's crash site. "Oh, perfect!" comes her pipping voice. With a last look at the approaching shapes to make sure she won't be spotted, she goes into a dive, then zooms just inches above the ground to where the invoker stands. "Khitan, we found a breather, but she ain't gonna stay breathing long without some help. Since all I can do is ease her pain permanently, it might be best if you gave us a hand. Here, I'll guide you - stick to the shadows I tell ya. There's more of 'em bastards coming, and the longer they ain't knowin' many of us are in fightin' form, the better."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, +4 to Heal is not exactly perfect, but its a port in a storm
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-17 at 10:19 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "Her name's Waifera, an operative from my squad, and a fine one at that."

    Kaeravak shakes his head, his voice almost faltering at the ghastly sight of her, recognition having dawned when he notes the tiefling's familiar countenance through a mess of obfuscating bleeding and laceration.

    "Couldn't even ID through the injuries at first but it's her alright, and she's in a bad way, bleeding out through the legs; she needs help _now_ and I can't say I've got the expertise to provide it."

    At that he looks expectantly between the other soldiers, his eyes intense with palpable urgency.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    As Khitan listens about a breather, he remains calm since he was expecting this kind of situation, he then replied "I'm no expert, but hopefully the gods will hand me some instructions and it may be saved..." Khitan quickly follows the pixie to the designated place.

    Arriving there he recognizes the Tiefling, but not the other - weird - guy, but he does not waste time on trivialities. He goes directly to the wounded one and then command to the others around him, with a strong voice "Quickly see if you can find any kind of first aid kit, or some bandages! Anyone of you know anything about helping the injuried? If yes, come here help me, this is a two man job!"
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-17 at 12:43 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    "Well, Khitan here has fixed our wounds before. I'm sure he'll do all he can." says Cinder, slowing to a hover next to Kaeravak. When Khitan requests supplies, she turns to the satyr, and says, "Yo! Ferrum! These junk piles used to have a medical supply cabinet. Reddish wood, ornate brass fittings. See anything like that in the rubble?"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-17 at 12:39 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    The old dwarf hadn't wanted to ride through the skies, but the warriors he met had said it was the quickest (and only) way to return to their HQ. For most of the flight, Dagrun sat in a state of unease, clinging tightly to his seat. When they had come under attack, Dagrun continued to cling tightly to his seat, even when that portion of the Skyranger's wooden frame sheared off and fell from its mountings.

    Dagrun awoke with a start, panic from the fall jolting his limbs into action. He flailed for a few moments before he realized that he was no longer falling. His right side screamed with pain, and he tenderly felt for serious injuries. To his surprise, he found none. He was half buried in rubble and debris, but he had somehow survived the fall. He gave a quick prayer to Moradin for his deliverance, and set about digging himself free.

    He had been slowly shifting stone and wood for a few moments before he could hear familiar voices nearby in the smoke. The Deva and ... the pixie? Thank the forgefather that they had survived as well. As he hastily pushed boards out of the way, he called out to them, "Hello!?" He pauses to curse and shove more debris away, "Ash and slag, these rocks are heavy! Is that you, pixie? Cinder, wasn't it?"

    He stumbles free from the wreckage at last, and stomps into view, almost completely oblivious to the lurking horrors in the area.

    When he hears Khitan shouting orders and sees the wounded individual, he rushes over and begins pulling out supplies. He looks at Khitan with a solemn expression, "Aye lad, I know a thing or two about it, let's get to work."
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-01-17 at 02:34 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum nods at Cinder, "I'll try and find it," and then goes back to moving rubble around, trying to find the now very important medical case. Before he can find it, however, a dwarf runs up to the wounded lady and starts to heal her. Ferrum isn't one for the divine, but he knows clerical healing when he sees it. He then speaks up after some moments of searching in vane for more survivors, "I hate to rush you, padre, but as our little one has said, some X-D's are headed this way and it would be an awesome thing if we were not here when they got here. I mean, I'm all for chopping off heads, but with a seriously hurt soldier, our speed will be compromised quite a bit as well as our focus. And a distracted solider is a dead soldier." Then Ferrum gets an idea. "While you heal, I am going to put some of this rubble to use." He then starts to get all of the larger pieces he is able to carry in a timely manner, and stack them around the wounder soldier and the healer. Ferrum does his best to hurry, and hopefully there will be at least somewhat of a barricade in the way of the wounded in case those aliens @$$holes get there before they can head out.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Ok, so what I want to do is start to collect as much rubble as I can and make a nice little wall around the group. I'd like to keep a small stretch of the wall low so that our ranged people can shoot out of it without any trouble in case they need to.

    Athletics in case you need it (1d20+7)[16](23)

    And I'm throwing in another perception check to keep on eye on the approaching X-D's and mark their eta (1d20+9)[3](12)
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-01-17 at 03:48 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The dwarf nods at Ferrum and chuckles just a bit and looks up, "Aye, but I'm not sure it matters that the wounded slow us down. Look around ye, where exactly are ye expecting to go?"

    With that, he puts himself fully into his work at saving the life of the wounded soldier.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check: (1d20+9)[26], there may be bonuses from Khitan and he working together. Also, Dagrun has a number of powers to simply heal hitpoint damage without using a healing surge. Let me know if any of them would be useful here.

    Edit - And there's an awesome heal check!
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-01-17 at 04:20 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum smiles but continues working, "Fair point padre. But in my eyes, anywhere else is better than a crash where the enemy might look for survivors. Especially an enemy as wicked as they."
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    Khitan helps the newcomer dwarf doing the healing, but it looks like he knows better than him how to do it, when they finish he says "Nice worker Brother! You are a gifted healer!" He then say "I agree, we should leave here as soon as possible. I can see only death in this place. But, first we need to make sure there is not more survivors...So securing the area is a great idea."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I will not roll a dice for heal, due to that amazing roll, there is no need!
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-17 at 05:03 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagrun View Post
    "Aye, but I'm not sure it matters that the wounded slow us down. Look around ye, where exactly are ye expecting to go?"
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    "That way" pipes Cider, her left arm aloft, pointing at the mountain. "That's 'ome. Them bastards are still attackin', which means X-COM is still defendin'. A 'ole in the ground ain't much of a 'ome, but it's miles better than running away from the one place that's holdin' against the people that shot us out of the sky. And who seem to 'ave no problem kickin' us while we're down, I might add. Any breathers in this mess won't breath much longer once Their patrols make it this far."
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak's countenance transitions from a mask of worry only scarcely lightened by Cinder's reassurances, to naked relief at the sight of Dagrun's approach.

    "Dagrun, I'm especially glad that you've survived. With your talents, our comrades among the wreckage stand a far better chance of survival. I trust Waifera to your capable hands; I have every confidence you'll provide her the treatment she needs."

    He shakes his head, lips twisting into a saddened grimace as he takes a parting look at his wounded companion.

    "I fear though, that no matter the outcome of your ministrations, X-Com will have lost one of its most capable operatives. Perhaps it's for the best; after an experience like this, the least she deserves is a comfortable retirement. Waifera served our organization well, and I'll make certain her conduct is remembered charitably."

    With that, the tiefling hurries towards the rubble left unexamined, carefully and methodically checking for further survivors that might still be buried amidst its smouldering heaps.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    While the group clusters around their wounded squadmate, Ferrum moves about the wreckage, searching for the medicine chest. He does not find it in his initial sweep of the area, but he does locate several intact beams and slats of wood that he manages to pry loose and carry over. With them he manages to fashion a makeshift lean-to and barricade, giving the crippled Waifera and whoever is tending to her shelter from the elements and any stray shots should fighting break out (which seems likely in short order).

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    When I have the battlemap up, I'll set up a low wall of debris in addition to the random piles. They'll grant partial cover (+2), unless you're lying prone behind them in which case they'll grant total cover (+5) in addition to the bonus against ranged attacks from being prone (which is another +2 I believe, unless they're adjacent to you). The wall will be 4 squares long (23/5=4.something) and will protect from one direction. The bulk of the Skyranger's remains (you guys can choose whether it's the eagle or the serpent) will protect from another, which will leave you open on the two other sides. Unfortunately there's not enough accessible wreckage to really pile up to make another wall without going hunting, which will take more time than you have before the first wave of X-Ds show up.


    While Ferrum is taking care of shelter, Dagrun rouses himself from his brief dirt nap and stumbles over to join the group. A skilled healer, the dwarf only needs a couple cloaks borrowed from a few of the corpses scattered about to tear into bandages and then he's tending to Waifera's life-threatening injuries. He works swiftly but surely, bandaging the tiefling woman's torn legs tightly enough to cut off the bleeding after which he turns his attention to her also quite serious head wound. Finally, Dagrun rocks back onto his heels, his work finished, and a few moments later Waifera's eyes flutter open with a low groan.

    "Ooooh . . . my . . . h-head . . . S-Syrin? . . . Dolien? Kaeravak? A . . . Are you there?"

    (Waifera is now conscious with 1 HP. Her current status is as follows:
    • She is Dazed, limiting her to one action a round in combat, and leaving her rather passive in non-combat situations.
    • She is Crippled, meaning that unless someone is actively carrying her she is automatically Prone and can only Crawl at half her speed to move.
    • A character with a STR of at least 14 may carry her on his/her back (she weighs about 140 pounds plus gear, which I'm just going to handwave and say that you can do this without worrying about encumbrance). This will set your speed to 4 (which can be increased with the Run action as normal). While carrying her, one of you needs to be using both hands to hold on since she doesn't have any legs to help keep her on your back. It can be you or her, but one of you won't be able to attack as both hands will be used to hold on - the other, however, may attack freely. You can swap back and forth as you wish, but note that you or her will need to have your hands empty to hold on. The two of you will share a square.
    • Two characters with a STR of least 10 apiece may carry her, shouldering half the burden with her arms draped over your two sets of shoulders. Waifera will not be able to use her hands at all during this, and each of you will have to use one hand to continue to support her and drag her along with you - your other hand can be used to do whatever. Obviously, the three of you will need to remain adjacent at all times, although only one of you is needed to hold her up if the other one has to run off to do something (in which case Waifera then gets a free hand to use). Your joint speed will be 4, although you may increase that with the Run action as normal.
    • While she is Prone, if one of you is within 2 squares of her and she's about to be hit with an attack, you may fling yourself down on top of her as an Immediate Interrupt. This will provide her with full cover from the attack, at the cost of said attack potentially hitting you if it's good enough to hit you but not her due to that +5 cover bonus to defenses.
    • While she is being carried, whoever is carrying her may interpose themselves to provide her with partial cover as an Immediate Interrupt, potentially being hit themselves instead if the attack is good enough to hit you but not her due to that +2 cover bonus to defenses.
    • Conversely (and if you want to be an *******), while carrying Waifera you can also use an Immediate Interrupt to use her as a human shield and provide *you* with partial cover against an attack directed at you, risking her being hit instead if the attack misses you due to that +2 bonus but is good enough to hit her. Note that this is probably an unwise idea if you or your teammates want her to live.
    • She cannot spend healing surges on her own.
    • A Heal check (DC 15) will enable her to spend 1 healing surge per check while not in combat - or let her use her Second Wind during combat (DC 10). She does currently have her full compliment of 9 healing surges.
    • She cannot go above her Bloodied value in HP at any point until she receives several days of bed rest, which none of you are going to get out here. She can, however, gain temp HP.
    • If she goes to 0 HP or below at any point, she will bleed out at a rapid pace, automatically failing her death saving throws each round. A DC 15 Heal check will stabilize her, or DC 10 Heal check to get her to use her Second Wind should it not already be expended.
    • She can use her own powers to aid you in or out of combat, which includes her 2 Majestic Words, but she cannot take a short rest and thus will not be able to recharge her Encounter Powers (which includes her 2 Majestic Words). Important Note: This also means that she cannot recover from failed death saving throws. Which means if she fails three death saving throws period during the course of the operation (or until you find a safe place to stash her), she will die.
    • Any questions?


    While Ferrum goes looking for the X-Ds to keep track of their progress, he fails to locate them against amidst the scattered carnage of the airship graveyard and all the smoke. They are definitely still coming, however . . . it's just a question of when will they arrive.

    (For the purposes of preparing for the start of combat and the operation proper, let's see if we can get one more solid round of actions out of everyone. You are certainly free to continue conversing however much you want, however, both with each other and with Waifera. I will not penalize any Stealth checks for talking, should you want to try and hide from the X-Ds until the start of combat proper. It's also safe to assume that they are aware of your existence in a general sense, although they do not (yet) know your exact location.

    Additionally, as far as seeing goes, yes, there is a full moon out along with the stars - they seem unusually bright tonight for some reason - to say nothing of the bright flares of light created by the shooting stars as they slam down into the mountain every minute or so. This means that the entire battlefield is Low-Light, save for some interior locations inside of airship wrecks and the like where there are no windows. Creatures without Low-Light can see movement in the darkness out to a couple hundred feet, while creatures with Low-Light or better can pretty much see as far as normal. There are a number of fires burning here and there throughout the field, which grant full light and thus normal vision for about five squares in all directions around the square that the fire is in. The X-Ds are moving about as if they have Low-Light vision or better.)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-18 at 12:21 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    After putting up all the defenses he can, he walks over to the wounded woman and starts to talk, "Look, I know how I look and you are confused and probably pretty scared, but you are not to fear me. I am here to help and get you the hell out of here. If you were to be put on my back, do you think you could hold on with your hands? Are you strong enough for that? I am going to do all I can to get you to safety, ok?" Ferrum places his fleshy hand on her shoulder, trying his best to put her rattled mind at ease.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun gives Kaeravak a stoic smile before turning back to the woman. When she starts to come around, he calls the tiefling over. "She's asking for ye lad."

    At the suggestion of lashing her to the big brute, Dagrun scowls, but he sees that few of them would be as capable as he for carrying the wounded woman. He gathers up whatever supplies the rest of the team has found and re-checks the bandages once more. He also mutters "For the pain," and hands the woman a hip flask of dwarven whiskey.

    He gives the cyborg a friendly tap with the head of his warhammer and says, "You keep her close to me, ye hulking metal beastie, and I'll keep the two of ye alive."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check to grant her the ability to use a healing surge: (1d20+9)[10]

    Well crud, that won't do it unless someone can get me +5 in modifiers. Otherwise, she'll have to get in-combat healing.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-01-18 at 02:46 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak momentarily pauses amidst his grueling work in response to Dagrun's observation.

    "Though I don't wish to sound cold, I would indulge her if I hadn't first a greater duty to my fellows yet to be saved. We'll have time to talk later; for now, I must see if any others remain."

    The pyromancer busily continues sorting through the beams and splinters of his scuttled airship when Ferrum addresses the maimed tiefling.

    "You're Waifera's best shot of making it out of here, but the enemy approaches, and will be upon us soon. Conceal her and get into position as best you're able; she's of little help as is."

    Before long, the encroaching shapes draw too close for comfort, and Kaeravak is forced to discontinue his search in favour of drawing to cover at the warforged's improvised battlement.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[16](20)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •