Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 755
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum gives a little half smile at the Tielfing's words, "Don't worry your pretty little head. As long as she is on my back, I will be running her home. And you are right, we need to hide her real quick so that she isn't targeted. I'll place her behind this little wall I've made." Ferrum, as gently as he can, lifts up the wounded woman and carries her over to his make-shift wall. He sets her down gently and speaks to her again, "There are some X-D's coming up here. They haven't spotted us yet but it is only a matter of time. Stay here behind this wall and I am going to cover you in some rubble, giving you a little more cover. Don't attack them and try not to move a lot, they won't see you as a treat then. Even if they do kill us, play dead and lets hope they don't notice another dead body. Of course......that isn't going to happen."

    Ferrum gives her a reassuring wink and collects a few pieces of rubble to put around her, and on her, to make it look like she was crushed by them, but not putting any actual pressure on her body as much as he can. He moves quickly and uses what he can find immediately next to them. Ferrum then stands up and look out at the approaching X-D's. "I don't know about you lot, but I am not one who has been blessed with patience...." Ferrum gives a knowing look to the group. He flexes his right arm and from about mid way up his forearm, a blade shoots out of it. He puts his left arm in front of him and a large shield seems to fold out of it. Ferrums steps in front of his walls and smashes his sword and sheild together, "I'm here ya @#$%#$ @#[email protected]#s!!! You haven't killed me yet!!!!!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    If putting rubble on her looks like it is going to cause her anymore pain or I can't do it without causing her pain, just put rubble around her and make her look like she is still a little buried and we dug her out only to find she was dead.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The tiefling woman's eyes start to focus again, and as they find Ferrum's face she grimaces but does not seem especially scared by it.

    "You're still . . . *cough* . . . prettier than those X-D bastards. I can try."

    Waifera says in answer to Ferrum's question. She pushes herself up into a sitting position, leaning her back against the barricade that Ferrum created. The motion clearly causes her a bout of nausea, as she closes her eyes and lies still for several long moments. As Dagrun comes over and hands her a flask of dwarven whiskey, her eyes slide open and she accepts it gratefully, immediately twisting the cap open to take a shallow sip.

    "Thanks. Maybe it'll stop the world from spinning - my head is killing me . . . and my legs . . ."

    Waifera stares down in confusion at the stumps of her legs, clearly struggling to process exactly what her eyes were telling her - she certainly didn't remember her legs being so short. The sound of Kaeravak's voice seems to distract her before her dazed mind could piece together the awful truth, and Waifera chuckles.

    "Nice to see that you're alive too, Kaeravak!" She says dryly. At the suggestion that she was of little help, however, she tucks the small flask into her belt and then flails, struggling unsuccessfully to pull herself up further than the sitting position she had just been in.

    "I . . . I can still fight! Where's my bow . . . get me my bow and I'll put . . . an . . . arrow . . . right between their . . . oh"

    The sudden motion is clearly too much for her senses, and Waifera slumps back against the barricade.

    "I'll just stay right here for now . . . call me if you need me."

    (The rubble will give her a bonus to her Bluff check to play dead. Also, pretty sure that the X-Ds know right where you all are now that Ferrum's shouting at them. On the plus side, they'll focus on him first if the rest of you are going into hiding.)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-18 at 09:40 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    When Ferrum shouts, giving away their position, Cinder closes her eyes and pinches her tiny nose. "For Sehanine's sake, Ferrum. There go my chances of settin' an ambush for 'em."

    "Still, them bastards be lookin' for loud n' large. I'll just have to disappoint 'em"

    Cinder spirals a couple of times, getting a feeling for their makeshift barrier and then disappears behind it, left arm pointing outwards and ready to starts killing whatever comes near.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Action: hide at one end of the barricade.

    stealth - (1d20+11)[30]

    Priority the end closer to the enemy (if Cinder can determine that), and if that is either end, the one furthest from the skyranger.

    Note for Inspectre: Cinder can hide behind partial concealment or cover if she moves more than 3 squares away from her starting position (she also gets no negative modifiers for moving and hiding, unless she runs). It's a class feature, but I like to think that "duh, she's 7 inches tall. That's full cover to her".

    Note to team: Cinder can grant someone a 6-square flying move during her turn. Lets keep that in reserve this combat in case we need to move Waifera quickly. In other combats, any melees needing a boost should feel free to request it.

    Finally, because I'm getting this weird feeling that we might need it:
    Initiative - (1d20+5)[23]
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-18 at 11:20 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Operation 2: Hewn Stone

    Operation Two: Hewn Stone

    (Yes, as in "Hewn Stone!? We have a problem!" - Yes, I can do cheesy puns too! )

    Operation Summary: The X-Ds are attacking X-COM HQ. You must escape from the crash site and do your best to ensure the survival of mission critical X-COM personnel, helping to repel the X-D attack if possible. This is a mission critical operation. Failure will mean the termination of the X-COM project.

    Primary Objectives:
    - Survive
    - Repel the X-D assault or Ensure the Survival of Critical X-COM Personnel

    Optional Objectives:
    - Ensure the survival of Waifera
    - Investigate the wreck of the H.H.A. Archangel and render assistance if possible.
    - Additional optional objectives as encountered

    Operational Parameters:
    DM's Note: You may stop to take a short rest whenever you wish while not in combat. However, future encounters will grow more difficult the longer you take as the X-Ds gather reinforcements, entrench into their positions, and more X-COM personnel die. Initial encounters will be less difficult than normal provided you move quickly and limit the number of short rests that you take (i.e. at least some of the encounters will be below strength, which should allow you to take 2 or more of them down in a row without stopping to take a short rest in between them. You should of course take short rests when you need them so you don't die, but you will need to balance the concern of going into the next encounter at full strength against the additional strength the X-Ds will get during those 5 minutes of the short rest).

    There will also be optional challenges and encounters along the way that you can choose to ignore, or risk spreading yourselves too thin in return for whatever benefit completing the optional objective happens to provide.

    (Case in point - keeping Waifera alive gives you an extra 2 Majestic Words, and Encounter power, a Daily, and her miscellaneous At-Will abilities including you getting +4 HP/healing surge you spend during a short rest).

    ==BEGIN OPERATION!==

    Standing amidst the ruins of your two Skyrangers, you hear the first group of X-Ds approaching from the northwest. You have only seconds left now to prepare for their arrival.

    Please Roll Initiative and Choose a Starting Position on the battle Map, within the purple/pink square.

    Battle Map
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-18 at 08:35 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    Khitan notice the movement around him, and notices the sounds of incoming enemies and decide to follows Cinder to get some protection from the piles of debris nearby. He then whisper to Cinder "May the gods provide you with perfect aim tonight, we will need it!" He then gets his staff out and make a small "pre-battle" prayer in silence.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I will not roll an Stealth check, i'm just there for the partial cover, unless you request me one!
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-18 at 08:36 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Khitan View Post
    "May the gods provide you with perfect aim tonight, we will need it!"
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder's eyes never waver from her search for enemies, and she dare not utter a sound, but she performs a little flourish with her tiny sword, acknowledging and thanking the prayer. The gods better be listening - they were about to need them.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-18 at 08:43 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    As everyone takes up positions in preparation for the X-D's arrival, Dagrun straps his shield to his arm and hefts his warhammer emblazoned with the symbol of Moradin.

    As he takes up position in cover next to Khitan, he mutters a prayer, "Let my hand be steady, let my hammer fall in righteousness on the brows of the vicious and the cruel, and let us be the cinders that catch their beards aflame. Lay stone upon stone, pile foe upon foe, ‘til Moradin's work is done."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20-1)[6]
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak takes point, slinking his way to cover behind a pile of rubble nearest the X-Ds, remaining crouched and as low to the ground as possible en route, head less than three feet above the surface. Once there, he gestures at Ferrum to take up a nearby position before pointing in the direction of the X-rays.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaeravak moves as indicated on the map and is currently hidden with a Stealth check of 20.

    Notes: Kaeravak can use the encounter power Guardian's Counter as an Immediate Interrupt to swap places with an ally within a close burst 2 that's targeted by an attack he's not included in. Kaeravak will then take the attack and retaliate with a basic attack, such as his Elemental Bolt. This can also trigger his Infernal Wrath racial power separately or simultaneously.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Looking stright out at the X-D's, and not at his companions, Ferrum forms a plan with them, talking loud enough so they can hear them, but not loud enough for the X-D's to hear him, "Alright, they obviously have eyes for me at this point. I am going to use myself as bait and lure them into you all. If you can get shots off before they get to be, do it. Once they get closer I am going to occupy them so they attack me first, I can take it. Focus on one and take it down, and then focus on the next. Lets get these jerks taken out so we can get our injured friend back to base......and hopefully there is a base left when we get there." Ferrum moves up closer to where the X-D's will be coming, shield and swords parts ready for combat.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-01-19 at 12:10 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Taking up positions around the immediate wreckage, the group awaits the oncoming X-D onslaught. It begins with a fairly familiar sight - one of the strange hounds that is missing the skin from is head walking around a section of the fallen eagle Skyranger (looks like the back portion of the loading bay, jammed straight down into the ground like a spear), two of the naked humanoids following along after it. The trio is lit up by a fire burning on a pile of rubble nearby, leaving them clearly visible. The bizarre creature looks up from the ground as it rounds the corner, releasing a keening growl as it detects Ferrum standing there. In response the two unarmored X-Ds scamper back around the section of the Skyranger, waiting for something just on the edge of the light. That something reveals itself to be one of the armored X-Ds a moment later, little more than a moving shadow sticking out from the dark side of the rubble pile. The creatures only seem to be paying attention to Ferrum at the moment, although they might be aware of a few of the figures behind the makeshift barricade that the cyborg satyr put together. Of Cinder and Kaeravak, however, they certainly have no clue and that is about to cost them very dearly.

    (Anyone else who wishes to try and make a Stealth check to get a standard action in the surprise round is welcome to do so - the DC is 16 due to the Hound being fairly observant.

    CONTACT!

    Theme Music (Just a little something to set the mood. )

    Battle Map

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show


    Rolls:
    Sectoid Legionnaire - (1d20+4)[10]
    Sectoid Grunts - (1d20+2)[9]
    PseudoWolf - (1d20+3)[9]

    Khitan - (1d20+6)[11]
    Akamenos - (1d20)[15]
    Kaeravak - (1d20+1)[17]


    Order:

    ------PC Group 1---------
    Cinder - 23
    Kaeravak - 17
    Akamenos - 15
    Khitan - 11
    -------------------------
    ------Bad Guys-----------
    Sectoid Legionnaire - 10
    Sectoid Grunts - 9
    PseudoWolf - 9
    -------------------------
    -------PC Group 2--------
    Ferrum - 7
    Dagrun - 6


    (Cinder and Kaeravak may now take both their surprise round actions, as well as their first full round of combat actions following that. Akamenos (if Hircine comes in before this combat is over) and Khitan may also take their first round of actions. The Pseudowolf and sectoid grunts are all fully visible, while the sectoid legionnaire is behind partial cover relative to the group and also is in shadows (partial concealment as well, assuming you don't have Low-Light vision or better).
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-19 at 04:53 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder, every muscle tight as a bowstring, actually sighs a little in relief when the enemy comes around the debris. A stream of barbed spines shoot from her left arm, directly at the dog. Immediately, her eyes scan the battlefield for a second target - she knows she has time for a second volley before her position is compromised.

    Spoiler: Surprise Actions
    Show


    Standard: Sly Flourish @ Pseudowolf #1
    To Hit - (1d20+10)[30] (inc. CA)
    Damage - (3d6+7)[17] (inc. sneak attack) 25

    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-19 at 05:10 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder - Crit Round


    Cinder's face breaks into a huge, bloodthirsty smile as she sees her aim be perfect, and every single splinter sinking deep into the face and neck of the creature. Indeed, an artery must have been nicked, since something starts oozing heavily from one of the wounds.

    The creature is still moving, though, so Cinder send another volley its way. This second volley, while reduced in intensity, still finds its target. The new splinters follow the first ones, sinking ever deeper. The creature staggers, then drops, and moves no more.

    "Hah! Up yours, you sons of %&[email protected]&!"

    Spoiler: Crit Action
    Show

    Free RBA @ pseudowolf #1 (from Two-fisted Shooter feat)
    [roll=1d20+10]1d20+10[/roll]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[9]


    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-19 at 05:30 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak carefully aims his dagger amidst the group of approaching enemies, eyes lit with fatal intent at their hapless disposition when a bolt rings out of the darkness to piece the dog-thing's head with a direct hit, dropping it immediately.

    Caught between sordid joy at the x-ray's death and vexation at his lost opportunity, the tiefling readjusts his aim to focus on the legionnaire, blade unleashing a terrible spear of fire at the unsuspecting alien. On impact, the projectile explodes about its target in a flash conflagration, scouring every inch of exposed flesh.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round:

    Standard: Elemental Bolt
    Attack vs Legionnaire 1's Reflex (Le):
    (1d20+7)[11](18) (-2 due to Cover, +2 due to CA)
    Hit Effect: 15 (see OOC for roll) fire damage.

    The Legionnaire is now bloodied.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder notices the flame trail shot by Kaeravak, and she decides to follow his example by unleashing a third volley at the armoured enemy before bolting for new cover. She is only peripherally aware that her attack has killed the target, far more worried about the two that are still up and about.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show


    Standard: Sly Flourish @Legionnaire #1
    To Hit - (1d20+8)[11](19)(inc. +2 CA from legionnaire not having acted yet, and -2 from cover)
    Damage - (3d6+7)[13](inc. Sneak Attack)
    (Legionnaire is now dead)

    Move: southwest (see map), then hide:
    stealth - (1d20+11)[16]

    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-19 at 06:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Following up Cinder's assault, the air about Kaeravak's spread palm wavers with sudden heat, sparking and hissing as it ignites into a coalesced ball of fire. With his charge prepared, the pyromancer drops down, lobbing the incendiary bomb over his cover and behind the airship fragment. Upon striking ground, the volatile blaze suddenly detonates into a wave of lingering flames that wholly envelops one of the xrays as it denies cover to the other.

    With only one hostile remaining, Kaeravak moves up adjacent to Ferrum, ready to protect his ally.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Ignition Origin square 1 square to the southwest of SG2
    Attack vs Sectoid Grunt's (SG2) Fortitude: (1d20+8)[18](26) (+2 due to CA as SG2 can't see Kaeravak)
    Hit Effect: (1d10+9)[10](19) fire damage.
    Effect: The burst creates a zone until the start of Kaeravak's next turn. A creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 2 fire damage. A creature can only take this damage once per turn.

    Move: Move 2 squares.

    Contingencies:

    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
    Trigger:
    An ally within a close burst 2 is hit by an attack that doesn't include Kaeravak as a target.
    Target: The triggering ally.
    Effect: Kaeravak and the target shift to switch places, and Kaeravak becomes the target of the triggering attack. Kaeravak then makes a basic attack against the triggering attacker.

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals (1d6+5)[1](6) fire damage to the triggering creature.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    Khitan thanks for the Gods for granting precision to Cinder's attack. He then focus his effort in the remaining enemy. He runs close to him, to get a better view and then uses his divine powers on him.

    Spoiler: Khitan's Actions
    Show
    Move: 6 squares.
    Standard: Hand of Radiance Against Sectoid Grunt
    Attack vs Reflex (1d20+5)[22] (That is without any penalty, I think it have -2, or -4, but since i'm not sure i will leave without it.)
    Radiant Damage: (1d4+4)[7]
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-20 at 03:18 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Expecting little more than scattered and wounded survivors that they could easily finish off, the X-Ds are unprepared for the sudden and vicious assault. In a blur of movements, the team swiftly takes down the small group before any of them can even react, their black blood oozing out to coat the ground only after they fall. While the area is not quite silent with the crackling of fires and the occasional scream or clash of weapons in the distance still present, it is definitely much quieter for the moment.

    As the group is about to return their attention back to planning how to get out of their current situation, however, the sounds of a furious battle suddenly erupt nearby, off to the northeast. Swinging around to that side of the Skyranger wreckage, the group discovers a similar patrol to the one they just destroyed, engaged in battle with a horned wolf that is a familiar sight to Kaeravak. Apparently these had been attempting to complete a pincher maneuver with the other group, but Dolien had intercepted them.

    Dolien manages to dance aside one of the two bolts that the unarmored X-Ds of the group fire at her, but the other strikes her in the side as she leaps forward at their monstrous hound. The two dog-like creatures tumble across the ground in a snarling, snapping ball, until at last Dolien slams the hound down beneath her and tears out its throat.

    Dolien does not come out of the confrontation unscathed, however, and those injuries are enough to fatally slow her. The armored X-D lunges forward, driving its spear into the side of her throat. Dolien collapses, shifting out of her beastial form and back into an elf as she raises one hand up to feebly grasp at the shaft of the spear protruding from her neck. Emboldened by this display, the armored invader pushes its spear in deeper, driving it all the way out the back of her neck in an eruption of blood. With a short, bloody cough, Dolien slumps to the ground, rushing towards Death's door if not already gone. As the armored alien attempts to kick Kaeravak's former squadmate off his weapon, the two unarmored ones step forward and raise their crossbows, clearly intending to make sure Dolien is truly dead. Before they can fire, however, Syrin comes limping out of the shadows. Seeing that he's not going to get there in time, the eladrin stops in mid-stride, concentrating a second before blinking out of existence to re-appear in front of the two unarmored humanoids, bringing his blade crashing down on one of them with a thunderous boom.

    "If you want a fight, try me!"

    Syrin roars at the armored creature, who seems willing to oblige - except that their duel is about to be interrupted before it can begin, and not by you. A keening whine fills the air, directing everyone's attention skyward, where the silvery oval has once again become a metallic streak across the night sky, rapidly approaching the area. As it grows near, a series of bolts of green fire spit out from its underside, throwing up geysers of dirt wherever they hit the ground. The barrage of green fire tracks over Syrin, Dolien, and the remaining X-Ds - it's clear that the aerial predator cares not for its own people down on the ground. When the dust settles, the only thing that remains is scattered, scorched pieces of them all - none survive. Satisfied with its work, the screeching predator returns to high in the night sky, far beyond your ability to avenge your latest comrades.

    As the night returns to it's horrid sort of normalcy, the group is once again left to decide its next course of action. Generally speaking, the group's options are limited, and could be boiled down into several simple choices:

    • Fortify their current location and try to hold out until dawn or unlikely relief arrives
    • Try to make their way to the H.H.A. Archangel, where the faint sounds of battle can still be heard
    • Make their way across the graveyard of broken airships and wreckage and reach the main entrance into Mount Irongullet


    It is hard to see the full graveyard from their current location, as the wreckage blocks the group's sight just as much as it does the X-Ds. One thing is certain, though - going out into the open is suicide with the metal predator still circling up in the skies above. It seems unable or unwilling to target those hiding amongst the largest hunks of wreckage, the husks of the airships and Skyrangers, else the group would probably all be dead by now. That in turn suggests two immediate destinations to the group should they wish to leave this place.

    1) The wreck of a defense airship to the immediate north, about 80' distant. It seems to be near the heart of the graveyard, allowing for several pathways onward from there towards X-COM HQ.

    2) The wreck of the supply airship that Ferrum had been aboard, a little more than a 100' to the northeast. Well over 100' beyond that to the East was the fallen form of the H.H.A. Archangel.

    Map of Surrounding Area

    Whatever the group is going to do, however, they had best do it quickly - although it is much harder to see the X-Ds coming now that they are advancing cautiously towards the Skyranger wreckage, enough glimpses of them are caught moving about the nearby piles of debris to tell that they are still coming.

    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    Although the group isn't technically in combat par se at the moment, they have about 30 seconds - 5 rounds of actions - before the next group of X-Ds hits the Skyranger crash site. If you're going to stay and fight, then you can make perception checks to tell where they're going to come from, stealth to set up ambushes, thieves to set up traps, athletics to move debris around - whatever. If you want to move on to the rest of the airship graveyard, however, you can get out before they arrive - although you are likely to wander into one group of them or another at some point in the near future.
    You will probably want to head in a fairly direct line for one of the two crashed airships nearby, however, regardless of whether you are going to make a beeline for X-COM HQ or divert to assist the crew of the H.H.A. Archangel. This is because that X-D fighter craft is circling overhead. As long as you are within those blue boxes around each of the crashed airships, you're safe. Each round that one of you is outside of those boxes, however, you are far enough from the wreckage that the fighter has a chance to detect you, with a slowly escalating greater chance on each successive round that you're standing around out in the open. Stealth will not help you against it, as anything but the wrecked airships don't provide enough cover relative to it cruising like a thousand feet above the ground. When it *does* detect you, it's going to come for you. You don't want that, trust me. Although obviously it's going to take more than a full round to move between the wrecked airships, so you're going to have to endure some level of risk unless you stay put forever.

    Decide what you are doing, and which airship you are heading for if you're bugging out of the Skyranger crash site. I will provide you with a closer-in map so that you can move tactically once I know which area to zoom in on for the next, likely running, battle with the X-Ds.

    Any questions?
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-20 at 10:31 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Hircine's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Akamenos - [Skyranger Crash Site]

    When Akamenos finally comes to he finds himself buried beneath a pile of debris. The tiefling's body aches all over, his memory is cloudy, and he is covered from head to toe with light burns and superficial cuts. He blinks a couple of times to see if his ocular faculties are in working order before trying to move. Intense pain shoots up his back the moment he starts to right himself. Pushing through the discomfort he begins to shift sections of charred wood and twisted pieces of metal off of him. As he's tossing a large chunk of wreckage out of his way he uncovers the charred corpse of a fellow XCOM operative.

    That's when it all comes flooding back to him, he and his squadmates had successfully quelled an X-D incursion in Munstern, and were heading back to base when their skyranger was shot down over Mount Irongullet. Moving with far more urgency than he had been previously, Akamenos continues to claw his way out of what should have been his grave. The moment he locates an opening in the rubble he scrambles through it, emerging in what could only be described as hell.

    As he's surveying the grisly scene around him, he's overcome by a violent coughing fit while attempting to suck fresh air into his lungs.

    "This - isn't what I signed up for.", he rasps angrily. "Extensive forays into the field shouldn't be expected from someone as important as me. If I had perished in this attack then the entire XCOM project would have been thrown into complete disarray without my valuable input. Once I've gotten back to HQ, if it's still intact, I'll have to voice my concerns to command. Hmm…that reminds me, I should see if any of the X-D’s that were captured in Munstern are still kicking."

    Striding purposefully around the crashed hulk of the skyranger, Akamenos meticulously analyzes the scene while making mental notes of any pertinent information.

    "It's quite fortuitous that I didn't perish like so many other operatives. Statistically I'd put the chances of surviving an incident of this magnitude at one in thirty-two million. Simply astounding!"


    Sifting through what's left of the cargo hold he finds only broken cages and dismembered X-D corpses, much to his dismay.

    "Tsk-tsk, how unfortunate! Losing such valuable specimens before having a chance to interrogate them is disappointing. Ah, well, their loss won't be too much of a hindrance as I'm certain another opportunity to capture test subjects will soon present itself. I suppose since there are no X-D's left alive for transit back to base I should look for survivors.",
    he groans audibly.

    Trudging past what's left of the ruined transport he nearly trips over a piece of debris. Just as he's about to boot the object away in frustration he looks down, and quickly comes to the realization that the item in question is his crossbow. Lifting the weapon off the ground he draws it to his eye for inspection. To his surprise other than a few splintered fragments of wood it's in pristine condition. Proceeding forward he notices a group of humanoids he assumes are fellow XCOM operatives hiding amongst some of the wreckage. To ensure there are no misunderstandings he calls out to them as he approaches.

    "Hold your fire. I repeat hold fire. It's Akamenos!"
    Currently DMing:

    Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

    Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

    Currently Playing:


    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder rises high into the air, then drops down equally quickly as her wings loose the power to hold her aloft - but after she has had a chance to take a good look at the surrounding area. "We can't stay 'ere. But if them bastards are looking for us, we should try to give 'em the slip. 'Sides, I doubt we can storm the door alone. I say we go to the Archangel o'er there. Hit the bastards from behind, make 'em pay. Any o' us left fightin' can 'elp us get to the 'ole."

    Then she looks at Waifera. "It's gonna be risky, though. That flyin' thing ain't taking no pris'ners, and this' the long way 'round. Ferrum, you sure you can carry Waifera and keep up?"
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum thinks for a moment then responds to the pixie's inquiry, "Yeah, I can carry her and keep up, at least relatively so. Though if we run into trouble I won't be as effective in protecting everyone. But from what I just saw you all can take out any enemies that might get it our way. If we are able to plan it out more, I can probably hide our injured friend here while we mop up the aliens. Then come back and get her and move along." Ferrum looks at all the others, "Though I will be a bit slower hauling a whole other person on me. But if that is what I have to do then so be it. I don't know her, but I sure as hell am not going to leave her behind." Ferrum ends with a smile and goes about looking for some rope to tie the Tiefling onto him with. He also makes sure to grab enough to have extra....just in case.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    If Kaeravak was in some way moved by the violent death of his squadmates, he does not readily show it. His countenance is eerily neutral and devoid of emotion, suffuse with a look of profound distance accentuated by unfocused eyes that clearly see, but betray no comprehension of what they behold.

    Only when Akamenos steps forward to rather loudly identify himself, does the tiefling appear to snap out of this peculiar reverie.

    "Quiet yourself!"

    He shouts at the new arrival, pushing off his cover to stand.

    "We've got hostiles inbound, and the last thing we need is to draw more patrols over; group up, get ready and prepare to move."

    The pyromancer nods at Cinder's suggestions, appearing to find them amiable.

    "My thoughts exactly. We beeline the hell out of here, link up with the Archangel crew... or whatever's left of it, and score a flank. The sooner we roll, the better our chances. As for Waifera..."

    He looks first towards the fey and then at Ferrum, expression somewhere between demanding and expectant.

    "She's coming with, period. Ferrum's more than strong enough; we were in the same test group and I know full and well what he's capable of. He may be weighed down a bit, but it's nothing he can't handle. Once she's secured and ready for transport, we head out."

    Taking several steps toward the Archangel, the tiefling turns about, neck panning in surveillance of the wreckage behind.

    "It's a damn shame about the others. They're all good men and I wish them the best, but we haven't the time to spare; too many lives are on the line to be delayed another moment, including our own."

    Shaking his head, he waits on point for the others to regroup and depart.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun nods to Cinder and Kaeravak, "There's fightin' over by the Archangel, so that means survivors, and wounded. The more we can save, the better."

    When Akamenos calls out, he follows Kaervak's words with a quick wave over. "It's good to see ye made it."

    After that he trundles over to Ferrum and helps lash Waifera onto his back. "I'll do what I can to help ye carry her. Let me take a quick look to see how those bandages are holding up."

    Spoiler: Heal check, DC 15 to allow Waifera to spend a Healing Surge
    Show
    Heal Check: (1d20+9)[23]
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    When Khitan sees Akamenos coming he says - without raising to much his voice - "Akamenos! I will have to thank the Gods for leave so many of us alive, It is clearly a miracle!" Then Khitan makes a pause, as if he had forgot something "But it is not over yet, there is a long path towards safety! And I do agree with Cinder that the Archangel's survivors troops are our best chance of success!"

    Khitan comes close to Ferrum and Waifera, grabs his rope from his backpack ((If we don't have our backpacks, I will assume that there are pieces of ropes/things to use to tie available in the middle of the wreckage)) and begins to tie her on the metal back of his new companion saying "You are doing good fellow, my name is Khitan Godspeaker by the way..." he then certifies if they are safe and end saying "All done! Shall we procced, before it is too late?"

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    "The Archangel it is, then. Let's go, people, we ain't got much time!" Cinder says, "I'm sure the next patrol is on its way already. It's best if it doesn't find us 'ere - make 'em follow us down the garden path, might get them fried by their sky troops - and good riddance. I'll be a-'ead. I'm no much of a scout, but I can move and 'ide, so any ambushes won't see me either. You'll know I have seen an enemy group when they scream in pain"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cinder will double-move at flying speed 6 (12/round), from cover to cover, hiding at the end of moves and using Perception to detect any ambushes or see the enemy patrols before they see the group.

    Hide bonus: +11
    Perception bonus: +5
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-03-11 at 10:21 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Cyborg Satyr Warden
    Ferrum, after finding some spare rope, helps the Deva tie the wounded woman to him. "Ferrum, is what I am called now. And I am just doing what any decent person would. If she weighed any heavier I'd have to leave her behind," he turns his head and gives a wink and a smile to Waifera. Then he speaks to her as she is being lashed to him. "Ok missy, here is the deal. If we get in the thick of it and have to fight, I will do my best to keep you form getting hurt. Hold onto me with your hands and stay awake." Then he pauses, "Ready?" And starts out running, much slower than normal, but doing him damnest to get behind cover for both their sakes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, if I remember correctly, my movement is knocked down to 4? So running I am going 6 squares per move. So my double runs would be 12 squares, yes? I think I did that right.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-01-21 at 01:51 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Spoiler: Bad Stuff Incoming
    Show

    Round 1: Cinder Alone - (1d20+1)[8]
    Round 2: Party As well - (1d20+3)[5]


    Spoiler: Stealth Checks
    Show

    --Good Guys-- Versus DC 14
    Kaeravak: (1d20-1)[11] (-5 for Moving)
    Cinder: (1d20+11)[30]
    Khitan: (1d20-7)[4] (-5 for Moving)
    Akamenos: (1d20-5)[-1] (-5 for Moving)
    Ferrum: (1d20-13)[7] (Haha, No)
    Dagrun: (1d20-7)[10]

    --Bad Guys-- Versus DC 19
    Spoiler
    Show

    Thin Man 1: (1d20+10)[29]
    Thin Man 2: (1d20+10)[17]
    Sectoid Legionaire 1: (1d20+3)[11]
    Sectoid Grunts: (1d20+6)[22]
    Nasty Surprise: (1d20+8)[26]



    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

    -Good Guys-
    Kaeravak: (1d20+1)[16]
    Cinder: (1d20+5)[9]
    Khitan: (1d20+6)[21]
    Akamenos: (1d20)[5]
    Ferrum: (1d20)[5]
    Dagrun: (1d20-1)[13]

    -Bad Guys-
    Sectoid Legionaire: (1d20+4)[15]
    Sectoid Grunts: (1d20+2)[5]
    Thin Men: (1d20+9)[21]
    Nasty Surprise: (1d20+2)[9]


    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show


    -Bad Guys-
    Thin Men - 21

    --Good Guys--
    Khitan - 21
    Kaeravak - 16

    --Bad Guys--
    Sectoid Legionnaire - 15

    --Good Guys--
    Dagrun - 13
    Cinder - 9

    -Bad Guys-
    Nasty Surprise - 9
    Sectoid Grunts - 5

    -Good Guys-
    Akamenos - 5
    Ferrum/Waifera -- 5


    Cinder in the lead, the group approaches the supply airship "Tailwind". As they draw close, a bloodcurdling scream comes from the vicinity of the airship itself, abruptly cutting off. Moving forward, Cinder sees a single unarmored alien dragging a dead body over to a line of similar corpses - the crew of the airship. She also notices an armored alien trying to hide in the shadows of a piece of the "Tailwind's" severed aft section. She does not see any other aliens, although even back from the airship Ferrum's sharp eyes detect movement in the doorway leading into the airship's cabin (surprise round by Thin Men averted).

    The X-Ds outside the craft seem agitated, and they are clearly aware that the party is on its way, although they do not seem to have noticed Cinder - yet.

    (Cinder may now take her surprise round, after which the Thin Men will go, and so forth and so on down the initiative roster.)

    Battle Map
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-21 at 11:29 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder stops short in her flight from cover to cover when she finally spots an enemy. She considers the distance to the next hiding spot, judges it too close for the enemy for confort, and instead moves back into the shadows of a piece of debris, lifts her right arm, and takes careful aim at the enemy, before scuttling behind cover and out of sight.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show

    Surprise Action: Gloaming Cut @ Legionnaire 1
    To Hit - (1d20+8)[20] (Inc. CA and cover)
    Damage - (3d6)[9] (inc. Sneak Attack)
    Effect: Cinder shifts 2, and hides:
    stealth - (1d20+11)[30]
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Before heading out, Kaeravak spares a quick moment to assist Dagrun's search upon noting his companion's lack of success. The tiefling's efforts prove hurried and not especially thorough however, for reasons that are clearly evident.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+0)[11](11)

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder's shot hits the creature high in the shoulder, spinning it around but not dropping it. At this first sign of trouble for the X-Ds, there is no movement from inside of the airship, although Khitan can still see a shadow inside the doorway to the airship . . . waiting.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Thin Man #2 Stealth check: (1d20+9)[18]
    Thin Man #1 Stealth check: (1d20+4)[22] (-5 penalty for Moving)

    Thin Man #2 Readies Action
    Thin Man #1 Readies Action


    Kaeravak and Khitan are up!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-22 at 06:00 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    Khitan looks to the sky quickly trying to figure out where the strange flying machine will come next....and decide that it is safier nearby the wreckages, before going he says to his companions "Well...I'm going in, that the Gods blesses us all!" and then starts rushing into "safety".

    Khitan then, decides to attack before he is attacked, and using his Divine powers he targes 3 of the enemies.

    Spoiler: Khitan's Action
    Show
    Move+Standard: Double move, into the Cyan Zone
    Minor: Perception Roll: (1d20+4)[20]

    Also, I will expend an AP to use Hand of Radiance on the Legionnarie, Sectoid Grunt 1 and 2
    Attack (without penaltys) vs Reflex on:
    Legionnaire: (1d20+5)[22]
    Grunt 1: (1d20+5)[23]
    Grunt 2 Thin Man: (1d20+5)[21]
    Radiant Damage: (1d4+4)[8]

    I may use Memory of a Thousands Lifetimes for extra (1d6)[1] on a attack that I consider too low, but I may not use...already rolling just in case. I think I'm happy with most rolls, I will keep it for latter...
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-22 at 09:22 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •