Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 755
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    As the gaunt converted X-COM operative twitches its blades around to bring them down, its attack is stopped by a dart to the face from Cinder. The projectile shatters the creature's shades, and then the eye behind it, and the thing collapses backwards. As it falls, its body disintegrates, releasing a noxious cloud of vapors!

    Spoiler: Death Attack
    Show

    Ichoroid #4 is Immune, not being a living creature

    vs. Delilah
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[15] vs Fortitude
    Damage: (1d4+4)[6]
    Hit: Target takes Ongoing 5 Poison (Save Ends, -2 Penalty)
    Effect: Create a 3x3 zone of poison vapors. The vapors block line of sight (but not line of effect), providing total concealment to anyone inside a square or behind it relative to people trying to look through it. Targets entering the zone or ending their turn inside of it gain Ongoing 5 Poison (auto-hits, Save Ends, -2 Penalty)


    The explosion of gas around Delilah and her captor does cause the ooze to contract, crushing her legs even through her plate armor.
    Meanwhile, at the front of the airship, the other glob leaps at Ferrum.
    (Delilah takes 3 from the Ichoroid, and 6 Posion damage, along with gaining Ongoing 5 Poison (Save Ends, -2 Penalty)


    Spoiler: Ichoroids
    Show

    Delilah takes 3 auto damage from Constrict.

    Ichoroid #2 vs Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[17] vs Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[4]


    The goo wraps around Ferrum's legs and sends him tumbling to the deck!
    (Ferrum takes 3, is Prone, Restrained, and cannot stand up until Escape (DC 15))

    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    • You may choose your starting position as anywhere on the top or bottom decks.
    • Standard rules for long-jump applies to leap down from the top deck of the airship (or up from the bottom deck through the gaping hole in the side) - running long jump should be a DC 10 Athletics.
      Alternatively, you can simply run off the side and the ballistics field of the airship will propel you down onto the scaffolding, although you will land Prone (barring being trained in Acrobatics, DC 10 to remain upright.
    • Likewise, creatures can leap aboard the airship in the same way, although if you do not make the DC 10 Athletics to jump aboard, you are automatically shunted to the bottom deck.
    • Boxes surrounded by red borders are marked as low cover - falling prone behind them will give you the standard +2 to defenses vs. ranged attacks but the boxes will still only ever grant low cover. You may step around them on a diagonal.
    • The tokens marked IP are Ichoroid Prisoners - X-COM personnel mummified by Ichoroids. They are at 0 HP and helpless - and as you just saw, the Awakener can convert them into Thin Men once it moves adjacent to them. They can be freed by attacking the Ichoroids holding them, although they will still be at 0 HP and thus out of the fight - while at the same time waking the surviving Ichoroids up.
    • The crew of the Archangel will support the party with ballistae fire - the airship can also move back and forth along the docks as necessary.
    • You can freely move onto and off of the Skyranger 4 airship without penalty, save that it is 1 square of Difficult Terrain stepping onto or off of the airship.
    • The dozen or so "Dead" status markers scattered about represent the bodies of slain X-COM personnel - you are welcome to interact or ignore them as you see fit - they're just bodies really at this point.
    • The handful of drop pods scattered about offer full cover as usual. You cannot step diagonally around them - they are hard corners.
    • This will likely be the last fight for a while that has such very generous ranges most fights in the tunnels of Mount Irongullet will be considerably more cramped affairs.
    • Whifflebottom, CM2, and Tharrok will not be participating in this fight unless X-Ds board the Archangel. Waifera is sleeping and unconscious and will not fight under any circumstances until she is coup-de-graced by some alien ****head.




    Battle Map

    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

    Khitan - 21
    Crew of the Archangel 7 - DELAY
    --------------------
    Thin Man Slasher #3 - 20
    Sectoid Grunts 18
    Sectoid Awakener 14
    Sectoid Centurion 13
    --------------------
    Kaeravak - 13
    Cinder - 10
    --------------------
    Ichoroids - 12
    ---------------------
    Ferrum 9
    Akamenos - 6
    Dagrun - 6


    FERRUM, DAGRUN, KHITAN, and AKAMENOS ARE ALL UP!
    (Plus the crew)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-08 at 07:51 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    Bleeding heavily from the gash left by the Thin Man now standing beside him, Dagrun grits his teeth and snarls. He hurls a bolt of healing energy over his shoulder at Khitan, channeling his will and Moradin's divinity into him. Then the takes a moment to steel himself before bellowing out a warcry and swinging his hammer with deadly intent at its smirking face.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Minor: Healing Word on Khitan (Close Burst 5, one ally in burst). Khitan can spend a healing surge to heal his surge value + (1d6+4)[8] HP.
    Minor: Second Wind, Dagrun heals his surge value (already modified the combat tracker) and gains +2 to all defenses UEoNT.
    Standard: Melee attack vs. Thin Man (+4 vs. AC) - (1d20+4)[17]
    Hit: (1d10+1)[2]
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrum kicks off the Ichoroid and stands on his feet. Blood dripping off of him from many wounds, he is still able to crack a smile. "Well," he yells out to his comrades, "this is going just swimmingly!" Ferrum gives a hearty laugh, then focuses his energies, and a swirling green mist surrounds him and creates a sort of a aura around him. Some of is very minor wounds heal up completely, and his major ones stop their excessive bleeding.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Saved from Restrained
    Move - Stand up
    Minor - Warforged's Resolve - Gain 3 HP and 3 THP
    Standard - Second Wind - Gain 8 HP and +2 to def uemnt
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-05-12 at 06:36 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    Khitan becomes a beacon of astral energy and sends it toward the nearby enemy. Khitan's energy is increased due to the near death experience and he makes the enemy flee in fear away from him.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Astral Terror vs Will
    Attack vs SC1 (1d20+5)[25] CRIT! so damage is 10 instead of 8.
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8] also on hit I can push him 2 squares, I will push him 2 squares, I will push him over the gray (water?) area.

    I will probably use Memory of a Lifetimes if I don't hit. (Good! can use it now with the athletics roll)
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-05-13 at 01:01 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan turn around and give a jump, but Khitan stumbles and is not able to jump correctly back to the ship.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: Jump back to the ship: (1d20)[3]
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-05-13 at 01:10 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Hircine's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Akamenos - [X-COM HQ]

    "Well this isn't going well at all.", the tiefling mutters under his breath. Akamenos swiftly retrieves a healing infusion from his belt and tosses it towards Khitan. His attention then shifts to the more immediate threat standing before him. Taking a step back he raises the gauntlet affixed to his left hand and fires a stream of electricity at the thin man.

    Actions:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Minor: Give a healing infusion to Khitan (he can spend a surge)
    Move: Shift back one square
    Standard: Attack Thin Man with Static shock
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12]
    On Hit: The target takes -2 penalty to attack rolls UEONT
    Currently DMing:

    Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

    Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

    Currently Playing:


    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum catches his breath after kicking the persistent glob off of his legs yet again, while Dagrun and Akamenos go to work on the gaunt X-D boarder.

    Dagrun brings his hammer around in a blow that knocks it back a step, giving Akamenos the opening he needs to back up and raise his gauntlet. A bolt of lightning leaps from the tiefling's glove into the unwelcome guest's face, momentarily dazing it. Together, both of them use the brief respite to turn and aid their endangered comrade in arms on the docks.

    Raising his hands over his head as Dagrun's healing light and Akamenos's curative concoction wash over him, Khitan unleashes a wave of divine energy over the armored X-D. It's already bulbuous eyes seem to grow even wider for a moment, and without hesitation it turns and attempts to jump off the pier to get away from him! Unfortunately, the creature takes its fully reeled-in Harpoon along with it, tearing a gaping hole in Khitan's freshly healed side in the process! Carried over the edge of the pier by its fear, the X-D leaps off the side, out of sight . . . but those who take the time to look far below can find it's corpse ironically impaled upon a support beam that had broken loose from the rest of the scaffolding.

    Khitan then crawls off the dock, effectively belly-flopping off of it. Unlike the armored X-D, however, he is caught within the Archangel's ballistics field (damn good thing too, otherwise you'd be eating 4d10 fall damage right now as well), which sends him swirling around to slam through into the cargo bay, right beside Kaeravak.

    Spoiler: Results of Astral Terror
    Show

    Forceful Removal of Harpoon Damage: (2d4+6)[11]
    Centurion's Saving Throw to avoid going off the ledge: (1d20)[6]


    From within the concealing cloud of poisonous gas, Delilah calls out with a wheeze.

    "Keep . . . *hack* . . . firing!"

    Determined to go down fighting, the captain of the Archangel draws her sword, and stabs blinding down at the goo clinging stubbornly to her legs! She doesn't manage to free herself, and unfortunately this means that she is unable to fight off the poisonous gas choking the life out of her. (She saves and ends her turn inside of the gas cloud, immediately re-applying the DoT).

    Spoiler: Delilah
    Show

    Minor: Draw sword
    Standard: Attack Ichoroid (-5 Total Concealment)
    To-Hit: (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[6]
    Saving Throw versus Poison: (1d20-2)[11]


    Two more bolts emerge from the side of the airship, this time at opposite ends of the airship.
    One heads for one of the unarmored X-Ds cowering behind a crate, while the other speeds towards the converter X-D.
    The one intended for the worthless trash X-D misses, but the one that everyone wants to hit strikes the converter just as it rears up to apply its electrical prod.
    A shield of energy flares into being for a moment, holding the ballista bolt back, but then it explodes, and pieces of the X-D go splattering up against the wall!
    Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately given what the operative has already been through, the flames also wash over the imprisoned X-COM agent and the goo, charring both beyond recognition.

    Spoiler: Crewmen
    Show

    Vs. SG#3
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[9] (-2 Cover)
    Damage: (4d6+5)[13] Plus (2d6)[9] Fire
    Miss Direction: (1d8)[4]
    Miss Distance: (1d6)[6]

    Vs. Awakener
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[19] (-2 Cover)
    Damage: (4d6+5)[20] Plus (2d6)[10] Fire
    Miss Direction: (1d8)[6]
    Miss Distance: (1d6)[1]



    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    • You may choose your starting position as anywhere on the top or bottom decks.
    • Standard rules for long-jump applies to leap down from the top deck of the airship (or up from the bottom deck through the gaping hole in the side) - running long jump should be a DC 10 Athletics.
      Alternatively, you can simply run off the side and the ballistics field of the airship will propel you down onto the scaffolding, although you will land Prone (barring being trained in Acrobatics, DC 10 to remain upright.
    • Likewise, creatures can leap aboard the airship in the same way, although if you do not make the DC 10 Athletics to jump aboard, you are automatically shunted to the bottom deck.
    • Boxes surrounded by red borders are marked as low cover - falling prone behind them will give you the standard +2 to defenses vs. ranged attacks but the boxes will still only ever grant low cover. You may step around them on a diagonal.
    • The tokens marked IP are Ichoroid Prisoners - X-COM personnel mummified by Ichoroids. They are at 0 HP and helpless - and as you just saw, the Awakener can convert them into Thin Men once it moves adjacent to them. They can be freed by attacking the Ichoroids holding them, although they will still be at 0 HP and thus out of the fight - while at the same time waking the surviving Ichoroids up.
    • The crew of the Archangel will support the party with ballistae fire - the airship can also move back and forth along the docks as necessary.
    • You can freely move onto and off of the Skyranger 4 airship without penalty, save that it is 1 square of Difficult Terrain stepping onto or off of the airship.
    • The dozen or so "Dead" status markers scattered about represent the bodies of slain X-COM personnel - you are welcome to interact or ignore them as you see fit - they're just bodies really at this point.
    • The handful of drop pods scattered about offer full cover as usual. You cannot step diagonally around them - they are hard corners.
    • This will likely be the last fight for a while that has such very generous ranges most fights in the tunnels of Mount Irongullet will be considerably more cramped affairs.
    • Whifflebottom, CM2, and Tharrok will not be participating in this fight unless X-Ds board the Archangel. Waifera is sleeping and unconscious and will not fight under any circumstances until she is coup-de-graced by some alien ****head.




    Battle Map

    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

    Khitan - 21
    Crew of the Archangel 7 - DELAY
    --------------------
    Thin Man Slasher #3 - 20
    Sectoid Grunts 18
    Sectoid Awakener 14
    Sectoid Centurion 13
    --------------------
    Kaeravak - 13
    Cinder - 10
    --------------------
    Ichoroids - 12
    ---------------------
    Ferrum 9
    Akamenos - 6
    Dagrun - 6
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-13 at 08:51 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    While a more normal force might break under the losses that they're taking against the superior firepower of the Archangel, it's crew, and a full team of pissed-off operatives, the X-Ds barely even slow in their assault. The converted operative slashes at Dagrun, forcing the dwarf back long enough for it to sprint past him. It runs to the edge of the airship, then hops off down onto the dock. This might appear to be an attempt at escape . . . save for the fact that it trips on a spool of rope and prat-falls flat onto its face.

    Spoiler: Thin Man
    Show

    Attack vs. Dagrun
    Slash and Ruh
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[9]
    Effect: The Thin Man may move up to its speed without provoking from Dagrun.
    *Moves to the southeast, to the edge of the airship*
    Move: Jump down to the Airship - doesn't need a running start, because Thin Man!
    Athletics: (1d20+7)[8]
    Continued move (if 10 or higher) - Jump into the cargo bay of the airship - doesn't need a running start, because Thin Man!
    Athletics: (1d20+7)[27]


    Meanwhile, the unarmored X-Ds join forces and surge forward, unleashing a barrage of bolts towards the suddenly revealed and exposed pixie!
    (I didn't see a Stealth check after Cinder unleashed hell on the Thin Man & Centurion, so I'm guessing her stealth is blown, and she's hovering above that crate?)

    Spoiler: Grunts
    Show

    SG#1
    Maintain Mental Link:

    SG#2
    vs. Cinder
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage: 9

    SG#3
    vs. Cinder
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: 9

    SG#4
    vs. Cinder
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: 4

    SG #7
    Establish Mental Link with #2


    Several bolts manage to find the pixie, nearly tearing her out of the sky! (Cinder takes 13 damage from an empowered bolt and a normal minion bolt . . . that crit.)

    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    • You may choose your starting position as anywhere on the top or bottom decks.
    • Standard rules for long-jump applies to leap down from the top deck of the airship (or up from the bottom deck through the gaping hole in the side) - running long jump should be a DC 10 Athletics.
      Alternatively, you can simply run off the side and the ballistics field of the airship will propel you down onto the scaffolding, although you will land Prone (barring being trained in Acrobatics, DC 10 to remain upright.
    • Likewise, creatures can leap aboard the airship in the same way, although if you do not make the DC 10 Athletics to jump aboard, you are automatically shunted to the bottom deck.
    • Boxes surrounded by red borders are marked as low cover - falling prone behind them will give you the standard +2 to defenses vs. ranged attacks but the boxes will still only ever grant low cover. You may step around them on a diagonal.
    • The tokens marked IP are Ichoroid Prisoners - X-COM personnel mummified by Ichoroids. They are at 0 HP and helpless - and as you just saw, the Awakener can convert them into Thin Men once it moves adjacent to them. They can be freed by attacking the Ichoroids holding them, although they will still be at 0 HP and thus out of the fight - while at the same time waking the surviving Ichoroids up.
    • The crew of the Archangel will support the party with ballistae fire - the airship can also move back and forth along the docks as necessary.
    • You can freely move onto and off of the Skyranger 4 airship without penalty, save that it is 1 square of Difficult Terrain stepping onto or off of the airship.
    • The dozen or so "Dead" status markers scattered about represent the bodies of slain X-COM personnel - you are welcome to interact or ignore them as you see fit - they're just bodies really at this point.
    • The handful of drop pods scattered about offer full cover as usual. You cannot step diagonally around them - they are hard corners.
    • This will likely be the last fight for a while that has such very generous ranges most fights in the tunnels of Mount Irongullet will be considerably more cramped affairs.
    • Whifflebottom, CM2, and Tharrok will not be participating in this fight unless X-Ds board the Archangel. Waifera is sleeping and unconscious and will not fight under any circumstances until she is coup-de-graced by some alien ****head.




    Battle Map

    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

    Khitan - 21
    Crew of the Archangel 7 - DELAY
    --------------------
    Thin Man Slasher #3 - 20
    Sectoid Grunts 18
    --------------------
    Kaeravak - 13
    Cinder - 10
    --------------------
    Ichoroids - 12
    ---------------------
    Ferrum 9
    Akamenos - 6
    Dagrun - 6


    Kaeravak and Cinder are up!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-13 at 09:11 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Her hands trembling more than ever before, between the enclosed environment and the two energy discharges from the enemy, Cinder nevertheless swoops in pursuit of the thin man before he has the chance to do any more damage.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Move: see map. Hide.
    stealth - (1d20+11)[31]

    Standard: Sly Flourish @ TM3
    To Hit AC - (1d20+8)[14] (+2 if hidden)
    Damage - (1d6+7)[11]
    Sneak Attack - (2d6)[9] (only if hidden)

    If I hit and I am hidden, also:
    Free: Strike from Shadows: TM3 is weakened UENT (Cinder's), and Cinder shifts two (see map) and hides:
    stealth - (1d20+11)[23]

    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Heaving a weighty sigh of relief as Khitan dispatches his adversary and makes it to the relative safety of the breach, Kaeravak leans out from his perch to cover the deva's retreat, unleashing another scalding ray at the once charging "thin man"'s prone form before resuming his huddle against the airship's interior.

    The beam's hit proves glancing, though it makes contact nonetheless, carving a burning swathe in the side of the converted operative's torso, and the worked stone beneath.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 4:

    Standard Action: Elemental Bolt, Fire
    Attack vs TM3 Reflex: (1d20+5)[24] (-2 due to Prone)
    Hit Effect: (1d12+9)[12] + (1d6)[2] fire damage.

    Move Action, Stealth: (1d20+4)[13]


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+5 fire damage to the triggering creature.

    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
    Trigger:
    An ally within 2 squares of you is hit by an attack that doesn't include you as a target
    Effect: Kaeravak and the triggering ally shift 2 squares as a free action, swapping positions. Kaeravak becomes the target of the triggering attack in place of the ally. After the attack is resolved, Kaeravak can make a basic attack against the attacker.

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The blob crushing the life out of Delilah continues to do so, and as the dead X-D's poisonous smoke clears, it becomes apparent that the Captain isn't going to make it without immediate help. (And she's out of surges, so only Akamenos can heal her I believe - although since she's built as a companion character, she will have 3 death saving throws, provided the Thin Man poison doesn't drop her to Negative Bloodied - i.e. -14).

    Meanwhile, the persistant glob attacking Ferrum continues to do so.

    Spoiler: Ichoroid
    Show

    vs. Ferrum, Reflex, +2 due to Prone CA
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[2]


    (Ferrum's 3 Temp HP go away, and he can't breathe - oh no! Plus restrained and all that other jazz.)

    AKAMENOS, DAGRUN, KHITAN, and FERRUM ARE UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-14 at 05:17 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    In between gasps for breath Dagrun lets out a stream of colorful curses as he runs to the aft section of the ship. His face is flushed and beads of sweat drip down his brow as he flails radiant flames toward the ichoroid attached to Delilah. After a particularly heavy breath he shouts to the Captain, "I'll be damned if ye die today Captain. Ye may be a might less pretty though. Come get me ye little tar slag! I'll put ye in a bucket and drive red hot pokers into..." He continues with a very colorful, and very painful sounding description of just what he'll do to the ichoroid once he lays his hands on it.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: Run
    Standard: Sacred Flame on the ichoroid in combat with Delilah. Attack vs. Ref (includes penalty for running) - (1d20)[18]
    Hit: (1d6+4)[6] Radiant damage and Delilah gets 3 temp hp.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Muttering curses that can't be voiced given the goo locked around his mouth, Ferrum has clearly had enough of the creature as the reforged satyr pushes himself up to his feet. He then swings up at his own mouth, slicing at the goo with his sword. Failing that, the satyr crashes back down to the deck, seeking cover again.

    Spoiler: Ferrum
    Show

    Move: Stand Up
    Standard: Attack Ichoroid (-2 Restrained)
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]
    Hit: Ferrum gains 3 temp HP.


    Meanwhile, Akamenos looks at the reforged and shakes his head. Leaving Ferrum to play with his new friend, the tiefling arcanist runs over to join Cinder, dousing the pixie in a restorative mixture before raising his crossbow and firing a magical tracer at the fallen X-COM operative. The bolt goes right through its head, pinning it to the docks, just before the creature's head splits open to emit a burst of poisonous gas.

    Spoiler: Akamenos
    Show

    Move: Move Adjacent to Cinder
    Minor: Curative Admixture on Cinder
    Standard: Magic Weapon versus Thin Man Slasher #3 (-2 Prone)
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12]
    Hit: Cinder gains +1 To-Hit and +2 Damage until the end of Akamenos's next turn


    (Slasher #3 dies, and Cinder regains 6 HP after spending a healing surge.)

    Standing up beside Kaeravak, Khitan raises his hand and waits for an enemy to move within range.

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Move: Stand Up
    Standard: Ready Hand of Radiance vs. first enemy that comes near
    To-Hit: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d4+4)[8]


    Next to the piloting wheel, Delilah chokes on her own blood, as the corrosive gas continues to eat away at her from the inside out.

    Spoiler: Delilah
    Show

    Death Saving Throw: (1d20)[17]
    Poison Save (-2 Penalty): (1d20-2)[5]


    With no remaining spare explosive bolts, the crew of the Archangel have to unload several of the ballistas set up on the far side of the airship.
    This takes time, and with no particularly threatening targets anymore within the airship's firing arcs, no ballista bolts go flying out to seek the enemy.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-18 at 07:29 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Refusing to give up, the unarmored X-Ds, which are all that is left of the enemy, unleash another barrage of bolts towards the people on top of the airship.

    Spoiler: Grunts
    Show

    SG #4 - vs Ferrum (-2 Prone, +2 CA)
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: 4

    SG #3 - vs Ferrum (-2 Prone, +2 CA)
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage: 9

    SG #2 - vs Akamenos (-2 Cover)
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: 9


    Ferrum takes a glancing shot from one of the bolts, while Akamenos takes a bolt deep in the shoulder.
    (Ferrum takes 4, while Akamenos takes 9).

    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    • You may choose your starting position as anywhere on the top or bottom decks.
    • Standard rules for long-jump applies to leap down from the top deck of the airship (or up from the bottom deck through the gaping hole in the side) - running long jump should be a DC 10 Athletics.
      Alternatively, you can simply run off the side and the ballistics field of the airship will propel you down onto the scaffolding, although you will land Prone (barring being trained in Acrobatics, DC 10 to remain upright.
    • Likewise, creatures can leap aboard the airship in the same way, although if you do not make the DC 10 Athletics to jump aboard, you are automatically shunted to the bottom deck.
    • Boxes surrounded by red borders are marked as low cover - falling prone behind them will give you the standard +2 to defenses vs. ranged attacks but the boxes will still only ever grant low cover. You may step around them on a diagonal.
    • The tokens marked IP are Ichoroid Prisoners - X-COM personnel mummified by Ichoroids. They are at 0 HP and helpless - and as you just saw, the Awakener can convert them into Thin Men once it moves adjacent to them. They can be freed by attacking the Ichoroids holding them, although they will still be at 0 HP and thus out of the fight - while at the same time waking the surviving Ichoroids up.
    • The crew of the Archangel will support the party with ballistae fire - the airship can also move back and forth along the docks as necessary.
    • You can freely move onto and off of the Skyranger 4 airship without penalty, save that it is 1 square of Difficult Terrain stepping onto or off of the airship.
    • The dozen or so "Dead" status markers scattered about represent the bodies of slain X-COM personnel - you are welcome to interact or ignore them as you see fit - they're just bodies really at this point.
    • The handful of drop pods scattered about offer full cover as usual. You cannot step diagonally around them - they are hard corners.
    • This will likely be the last fight for a while that has such very generous ranges most fights in the tunnels of Mount Irongullet will be considerably more cramped affairs.
    • Whifflebottom, CM2, and Tharrok will not be participating in this fight unless X-Ds board the Archangel. Waifera is sleeping and unconscious and will not fight under any circumstances until she is coup-de-graced by some alien ****head.




    Battle Map

    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

    Khitan - 21
    Crew of the Archangel 7 - DELAY
    --------------------
    Sectoid Grunts 18
    --------------------
    Kaeravak - 13
    Cinder - 10
    --------------------
    Ichoroids - 12
    ---------------------
    Ferrum 9
    Akamenos - 6
    Dagrun - 6


    Kaeravak and Cinder are up!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-18 at 07:30 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder moves sideways, looking for an attack vector on one of the concentrating enemies, hoping to get two kills with one shot. Her darts finally fly true, piercing the tiny, distant target. With a shudder, it collapses. Seconds later, his boosted companion drops to its knees, dead.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Move: (see map), and hide
    stealth - (1d20+11)[26]

    Standard: Gloaming Cut @ SG7
    stealth - (1d20+5)[24] (+2 if hidden. Inc: +1 Akamenos bonus, -2 distance, -2 prone. Ignores cover)
    Effect: shift 2 (see map) & hide

    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-05-18 at 09:13 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    While Kaeravak and Khitan bide their time, the ooze on Ferrum continues crushing the satyr's face.

    (Ferrum takes 3 damage, and would have to roll a suffocation save . . . if he had to breathe.)

    KAERAVAK, KHITAN, AKAMENOS, DAGRUN, and FERRUM are UP!
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    With the ship immobile and all targets beyond the reach of his abilities, Kaeravak goes on the offensive, storming from his sheltered perch to take the fight to the aliens. His body bursts into seething immolation, hands serving as jets of focused conflagration, a red sun screaming towards his foes. Raising one of his lit palms towards the hunkered x-d, several spheres of compressed flame roar from its heel to explode amidst his target's shelter, leaving little more than a burning crater where his foe and its cover had been.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 5

    Move Action: Move 6 squares.

    Standard Action: Ignition
    Free Action: Elemental Escalation
    Free Action, Elemental Escalation: Shift 3 squares.
    Attack vs SG1 Fort: (1d20+6)[12]
    Hit Effect: (2d10+9)[22] fire damage.
    Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the start of Kaeravak's next turn. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 2 fire damage. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+5 fire damage to the triggering creature.

    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
    Trigger:
    An ally within 2 squares of you is hit by an attack that doesn't include you as a target
    Effect: Kaeravak and the triggering ally shift 2 squares as a free action, swapping positions. Kaeravak becomes the target of the triggering attack in place of the ally. After the attack is resolved, Kaeravak can make a basic attack against the attacker.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Inspired by his comrade in arms, Akamenos races towards the front of the airship, snapping off a shot from his crossbow.

    Spoiler: Akamenos
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12]


    Two of the Archangel's crew also appears on top of the deck, snapping off shots from their crossbows at the ball of goo wrapping around Ferrum's face.

    "We're here to help! We're not needed down below anymore!"

    Spoiler: Crewmen
    Show

    #1
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[22]
    Hit: 5 damage (Ferrum takes 2)
    #2
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[10]
    Hit: 5 damage (Ferrum takes 2)
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    Once the dust settles from the combat, Dagrun quickly tends to the wounded. He gathers up those men that will help, and they move out to free the remaining X-COM agent from the Ichoroids containing him. With enough people, it should be short work.

    After all that is done, and everyone has had a chance to catch their breath, he looks to Cinder and Kaervak and says simply, "Fancy place ye got here. Where to next?" Despite his grievous wounds, the dwarf is clearly in high spirits at being underground.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    With the elimination of the last few goo-aliens, no further enemies appear present inside the cavernous hangar. Kaeravak is nonetheless cautious, dagger raised and panning as he looks out over the boundaries and niches of the room, meticulously scanning its perimeter with typical military discipline.

    "Seems clear."

    He reports after several terse moments, though his wary, agitated demeanour belies this assessment, the tiefling obviously expecting an assault at any moment. Focusing on the northern exit, he replies to Dagrun:

    "I'm thinking we finish sweeping this area, head out to the stables and secure our transport beasts for when we get this base back up and running; otherwise we'll end up having a hell of a time getting around and making good on our mandate. Won't matter a damn if we liberate the command centre yet end up unable to do our job."

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrum waves at the crewmen helping him out of the grips of the damn Ichoroid. He then turns to his fellow companions and sees the fighting has concluded. "Well, wasn't much help that round fellas. Hopefully in these tight spaces I can help out a little more with the shielding, and you can shoot the stuff in front of me!" Ferrum gives them a wink and coughs up a little blood. Dagrun sees this and touches him on the shoulder, filling him with healing energies. Ferrum gives him a nod, "Thanks mate. This new body hold up pretty good, but it is taking a beating." Ferrum takes a moment, sitting next to Cinder, and once again his swirling, primal "spirits" swirl around him healing him the rest of the way. Sealing up the wounds and getting rid of the bruises that Dagrun's magic didn't.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So I will take Dagrun's granted Healing Word, and then take my own Healing Surge to get up to full.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-05-27 at 11:05 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak chuckles at the Satyr's observation, joviality overwhelming his wary demeanour, features lightened albeit briefly.

    "No surprises here, after all, this is exactly what we signed up for."

    He offers his comrade wry, slight grin.

    "Besides, it's not as though you haven't been through worse; hell I remember when the techies were just starting to piece you together in the labs; talk about a mess."

    The pyromancer smirk widens in remembrance.

    "At any rate, we sure as hell came out better than those turned operatives, the poor bastards."

    Kaeravak shoots a glance over at the unconscious, crumpled form of one of the subdued personnel he'd 'liberated', the man's uniform now a nightmarish patchwork of burn marks and wide bloodstains, his grimace instantly returning.

    "At least we were able to spare a couple. Sadly I don't think they'll be of much use in our pending battles. We could perhaps revive em, patch em up, provide some armaments from the ship, but our resources are scarce as it is. That said, perhaps the good captain might see fit to spare a few more men to help us liberate the stables."

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Pulling herself up to her feet with a cough, Delilah runs a hand along her pockmarked face, the skin there still scoured by the corrosive gas left by the converted X-COM agent.

    "I don't know if I have the men to spare at this point. The Archangel is in rough shape - we'll need at least a few people to stay in order to man the ballistae and keep her up in the sky."

    The Nuwessan captain thinks for a few moments, and then sighs and nods her head.

    "We won't be able to stay here - I'll not risk the Archangel being overrun, not after fighting so hard to get her back into the sky. But if there are enough volunteers amongst the crew, I can spare two of them. We'll make sure that your wounded get to safety - assuming that man down on the docks there is still alive, we can bring him aboard as well. Wait here - I'll go down and talk with the crew."

    With that, Delilah turns and limps down into the mid-deck of the airship, wincing at several points as the movement jars her battered body. The next five minutes are spent checking to make sure that the Skyranger has not been sabotaged, freeing the surviving operative from his gooey cocoon, and resting up for the next fight. Once the decision is made to move on to the stables in the hopes of securing a flying beast for Fireteam Delta's Skyranger, you start gathering in front of the door. As promised, two crewmen from the Archangel go with you - the same two that ran up to the top deck to help Ferrum. Apparently these two men, at least, hadn't gotten enough of killing X-Ds yet. At least they weren't as foolish as the late Ensigns Fisk & Wedge - both of them were perfectly fine with bringing up the rear of your formation.

    Approaching the set of large double-doors leading into the Stables, you find one of them slightly ajar. Shouldering the door open the rest of the way reveals a scene of carnage awaiting you beyond. Scattered across the floor of the Stables is a tangle of bodies, at least half a dozen in the immediate area. You have just enough time to note that more than a few of the dead X-Ds have foot-long iron spikes sticking out of their chests before a set of those spikes is thudding into the door right next to Ferrum's head.

    "Gah, filthy beasts! At least have the dignity of screaming so I can know whether I hit you or not!"

    A gruff voice calls out from one of the cages recessed into the left wall of the cavern. Peering inside, you can just make out a leonine form curled up on the floor, coated nearly head to tail in the by-now familiar and hated black goo. Only the creature's mouth and spike-covered tail remain free, and the latter allows you to immediately identify the cage's occupant - a manticore. That was right, Delta Team was nicknamed "Manticore Squadron" due to having the misfortune of having a surly old manticore by the name of Tygrin as their carrier. Looking around the Stables, it seems clear that Tygrin is the only survivor of the attack on the Stables - the X-Ds didn't even seem to try to take anyone except him prisoner . . . although you note more than a few tail spikes jutting out of a disjointed pool of goo here and there - so perhaps Tygrin made it impossible for them to do so.

    "Come on, I know you're over there . . . somewhere. I've got enough left in me to take out one more batch of you scum. At least give me the pleasure of tasting your flesh between my teeth before I die!"

    Those with the sharpest senses among you can hear the faint sound of footfalls approaching from the east . . . and some other sound, like a slurping and tearing of meat . . . from somewhere in that general direction. You would be having company very shortly.

    Battle-Map

    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    You have one round of actions before the X-Ds arrive and the fight begins.
    You may place yourselves wherever you wish to start on the map.
    You may take your round of actions in whatever order you wish - will roll initiative once combat starts "next round".
    You may take up positions to try and use Stealth if you wish.
    Tygrin is currently inside of a locked cage, and tied up by nine(!) Ichoroids. He is also Bloodied.
    There is more of this map further to the east, should you wish to meet the X-Ds a bit more forward of your current position.
    The rest of the map off to the east is not visible from the door, so I haven't included it just yet.
    Footsteps are coming due east from your current location, slurping and tearing of meat from the northeast.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder stays unusually quiet after the fight ends. She silently cleans and binds her wounds, and then flutters near the group as the others rest, talk with the captain and organise their next moves. Her face remains studiously blank, but the nearly disastrous fight, coupled with the cave environment, is clearly taking a toll. Most telling, her fairy light is a subdued reddish glow, nothing like her usual flaming orange.

    As the group moves towards the stables, she stays near the centre, rather than rush ahead, and only when she sees the manticore does she seem to wake from her reverie. "Tygryn!" she exclaims under her voice. "Them bastards... Dagrun, you 'elped me get rid of those damn ichor-things without 'urting me. Do you think you can 'elp old beardy too? That ain't no way for a proud one to go, covered in them damn things"

    Then, with a look around the cave for a place to wait for the oncoming rush, she picks a spot across the cave. Before she leaves, she turns to the crewmembers. "Too many of your men 'ave died. You ain't trained for this. 'Elp if you want, but better to keep outta sight."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Starting position is in the bottom right hand corner of the left jail in the north wall, hidden but with LoS to both of the corridors. I'll place myself in the map when I can. I would like to remind the team that I can share a space with anyone, so if you like the spot, it's not taken.

    stealth - (1d20+11)[25]

    I'm unclear if we get a surprise round or not. If we don't, my action will be to contingent attack whatever enemy I see first with Gloaming Cut, followed by a shift and hide.

    If we do get the extra action in addition to a possible surprise round, then I will wait until I see if Dagrun can clear out the ichors from the manticore, then gloam cut any that are left, and hide in preparation for the surprise round.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrum leads the others through the hallways, sword out and shield up, ready to protect the group as need be. They make their ways through to the Stables and see the carnage laid out before them. Then a bolt thumps right next to Ferrum's head and he sees a caged Manticore, if he remembers correctly by the name of Tygrin, laying there bloodied but still very much alive and still feisty as ever. "Whoa whoa there big man, we are here to help, not to hurt you. Let us get those damned Ich's offa you and get you bandaged up." Ferrum nods at Dagrun, "Come on, lets go help him, I'll watch everyone's back and you start searing of those buggers." Ferrum leads Dagrun and whoever else wants to come with him over to the cage. He helps get the cage open to Dagrun can work, and then keeps his eyes on where he hears the noises coming from. "Hold on there Tygrin, you'll be good as new soon."

    Spoiler
    Show
    If the cage is closed Athletics - (1d20+7)[10]

    I'd also like to ready an action. A Charge on the first enemy that come into that room that isn't already there that comes into range.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    At the urging of Cinder and Ferrum, the old dwarf hurries over to the cage for a closer look. The Manticore certainly seems to be wounded, though how badly is difficult to tell with the ichoroids all over him. Dagrun takes a deep breath and says, "Everyone be ready, this is going to be ugly. As soon as I start to burn these blasted bits of tar, any that I don't catch are probably all going to come swarming off and try to kill us all." He holds his holy symbol aloft and glances down at the Manticore. "Tygryn, is it? This is going to be bright, but shouldn't hurt."

    With that, he chants a few words to Moradin and bathes the cage in radiant light. The divine power ignites ichoroids, and sharpens Tygryn's senses.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: Adjacent to the cage (assuming we can start anywhere in the entry way). If not, Dagrun can still make it with a run action if necessary.
    Standard: Divine Glow (Close Blast 3 - Enemies in Burst, doesn't damage allies), +5 vs. Reflex: (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[20]
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[25]
    (1d20+5)[10]
    Hit: (1d8+4)[8] Radiant damage.
    Effect: Allies in the blast (Tygryn) gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Azktor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil (GMT-3)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan Godspeaker, Deva Invoker

    Khitan helps the Dwarf purging the ichoroids.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Hand of Radiance vs Reflex
    Attack vs I#1 (1d20+5)[21]
    Attack vs I#2 (1d20+5)[19]
    Attack vs I#3 (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: (1d4+4)[8]

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cautiously moving into the stables, Kaeravak looks from corner to corner is his usual meticulous way, weapon raised. When Ferrum's face narrowly avoids perforation, he instinctively crouches into a battle-stance, dagger glowing white hot, ready to retaliate whilst swiveling to face the threat. Quickly spotting Tygrin, his agitation visibly dissipates, an outspread palm held up in a clear signal to desist. Rising to move into the room, the soldier again tenses up when his ears catch the sound of rustling and rending meat in the darkness of the eastern tunnels, implement whirling about in their direction, flitting from shadow to shadow in search of hostiles.

    "Not liking the sound of this; let's get Tygrin free and set up shop in the stalls, double time."

    He gestures at the pair of crewmen.

    "One of you, take up a position in the stables near Tygrin, the other, you're with me. Get into cover, keep spread, ready your crossbows and hide; avoid melee unless you've got no other options."

    For his part, the squad fireman takes up with Cinder, beckoning Akamenos over.

    "Me and Cinder should benefit from your magic; I'll cover you if things get hairy."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[6]

    Standard, Ready Action: Elemental Bolt
    Trigger:
    An enemy comes within Kaeravak's Elemental Bolt range.

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    At the sound of Cinder's voice, the manticore seems to relax a little bit, although it still clatters its spike-lined tail against the floor in agitation.

    "That Cinder I hear? 'ey butterfly, I heard you were sent out to die against these uglies instead of dying in 'ere!"

    Tygrin wheezes, his guff voice doing a poor imitation of Cinder's accent.

    "Cut me loose and I'll 'elp ya kill a few more!"

    Taking up defensive positions within the cavern, Dagrun, Khitan, and Ferrum all approach the cage holding the manticore. With a combined wave of light from Dagrun and Khitan, the layer of Ichoroids are burned away, leaving the great beast free. With a pained growl, Tygrin pulls himself up onto his paws, stretching his leathery wings with a groan of gratitude. Unfortunately, despite his attempt to break open the cage door, Ferrum is unsuccessful - meant to hold back large, rather strong beasts, the doors are quite sturdy.

    Thankfully, one of the cage doors to the north is slightly ajar, one of the stable hands now lying scattered about on the floor having apparently forgotten to lock it. The rest of the group piles inside, waiting for a potential attack. The rest of the cells are firmly locked - the keys should be on one of the bodies here . . . but which one?

    "My thanks, tasty snacks."

    The manticore growls with a grin - it takes a moment for the group to be sure that the manticore was joking.

    "Get the door open and I'll get us all out of here. Assuming that big box you like tying me to is still in the room next door."

    At that point, a piercing, unearthly shriek echoes through the cavern from off to the east, and the group can all now hear the unmistakable sound of footsteps - an organized group was approaching this area.

    "Company . . ."

    Tygrin growls, slapping his tail against the stone floor and sending a trail of sparks flying into the air.

    "These *******s don't know when to give up!"

    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    • And this is another reason why I didn't want to grant a surprise round - the enemies all start far enough away that a surprise round would likely have been wasted in regards to shooting things in the face.
    • Tygrin's cage door (and all the other doors except the one that the party is in . . . assuming the door doesn't . . . accidentally . . . swing shut) are locked.
    • Breaking the cell door open is possible with a DC 20 Athletics check, or the lock can be picked with a DC 20 Thievery check, or . . . the keys could be found on one of the stablehands' bodies via a DC 20 Perception check (see what I did there?)
    • Tygrin is free, and will be able to attack now - he spend his own free round of actions standing up and readying an attack. But his spines are only Ranged 10, so that will likely go to waste.
    • From your current positions, I'm pretty sure that you can't see any of the bad guys, but I've included them on the map anyway since they'll be moving into line of sight very soon.



    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    -Good Guys-
    Tygrin - (1d20+12)[14]
    Crewmen - (1d20+2)[5]

    Ferrum - (1d20)[12]
    Kaeravak - (1d20+1)[14]
    Cinder - (1d20+5)[10]
    Akamenos - (1d20)[19]
    Dagrun - (1d20-1)[1]
    Khitan - (1d20+6)[25]

    -Bad Guys-
    Reaper - (1d20+3)[22]
    Sectoid Centurion - (1d20+5)[23]
    Sectoid Trooper - (1d20+6)[16]
    Sectoid Grunts - (1d20+2)[6]
    Ichoroids - (1d20+2)[14]


    Battle Map

    Battle Music

    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

    Khitan - 25
    ----------------------------------
    Sectoid Centurion - 23
    Reaper - 23
    --------------------------
    Akamenos - 19
    ---------------------------
    Sectoid Trooper - 16
    Tygrin - 14
    Ichoroids - 14
    ---------------------------
    Kaeravak - 14
    Ferrum - 12
    Cinder - 10
    ---------------------------
    Sectoid Grunts - 6
    Crewmen - 5
    ----------------------------
    Dagrun - 1


    KHITAN IS UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-28 at 08:54 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    (When in doubt, artificially divide everyone into big groups through Delay spam. )

    Waiting to see what his allies inside the cage will do, the deva cleric waits for the enemy to approach.

    He is not to be disappointed, as shadows flicker in the chamber to the northeast, and the faint sound of splashing can be heard. Although not visible to those inside of the cage, Khitan, Ferrum, and Dagrun are able to catch a glimpse of two figures running out of the water-coated tunnel leading out of the chamber to the northeast. One is the by-now familiar X-D in heavy armor with a harpoon, while the other is carrying a green fire launching tube. The two have advanced at a reckless pace, leaving them vulnerable to attack assuming anyone is in range to take advantage of it (they both mechanically ran, thus they will grant CA until the start of their next turn).

    Again, although not visible as more than a massive shadow to those in the cage (pretty sure it has full cover/not targetable due to walls by people in the cage), the others see a lumbering form sprint out of the darkness. (It does not mechanically run though - Speed 10 is nice like that ) Everyone definitely hears the creature, however, as it bellows a low, keening roar that quickly escalates in pitch and intensity. (the first minute should be sufficient to give you an idea what the Reaper sounds like.)

    "Not bad metal man, but I think you better let the big boys try. Feh, they think that this cage can hold ME!?"

    Tygrin growls as he approaches the door, lowering his shoulder into a lumbering charge as he attempts to bust the door down. The door explodes outward against the angry beast's might, nearly sending the assembled X-COM operatives around the cage door flying.

    Spoiler: Tygrin
    Show

    Athletics: (1d20+10)[27]



    Spoiler: Tactical Considerations
    Show

    • And this is another reason why I didn't want to grant a surprise round - the enemies all start far enough away that a surprise round would likely have been wasted in regards to shooting things in the face.
    • Tygrin's cage door (and all the other doors except the one that the party is in . . . assuming the door doesn't . . . accidentally . . . swing shut) are locked.
    • TYGRIN IS LOOSE!
    • From your current positions, I'm pretty sure that you can't see any of the bad guys, but I've included them on the map anyway since they'll be moving into line of sight very soon.




    Battle Map

    Battle Music

    Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

    ----------------------------------
    Sectoid Centurion - 23
    Reaper - 23
    Sectoid Trooper - 16
    Tygrin - 14
    ---------------------------
    Khitan - 25 - DELAY
    Akamenos - 19 - DELAY
    Kaeravak - 14
    Ferrum - 12
    Cinder - 10
    Dagrun - 1
    ---------------------------
    Crewmen - 5 - DELAY
    Sectoid Grunts - 6 - DELAY
    Ichoroids - 14 - DELAY


    KHITAN, KAERAVAK, AKAMENOS, DAGRUN, CINDER, and FERRUM ARE ALL UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-05-30 at 10:42 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •