Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 755
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "Bastards!"

    Tygrin growls as he flaps backwards, moving away from the frontlines as he releases another volley of tail spikes at the unarmored X-Ds that wounded him.

    Spoiler: Tygrin Reaction
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+15)[30]
    Damage: (2d8+4)[9]


    The spikes fail to break through the mental shield around the grunt, prompting a stream of foul curses from the manticore's mouth.

    (SG#13 now only has 1 temp HP on its shield . . . but still Resist 5 All).
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-26 at 09:03 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak holds his action for now, as does the rest of X-COM as Khitan moves forward to stand beside Dagrun.
    A ripple of power flows out from the deva, and everyone nearby has their hair stand on end from the energy beginning to coalesce around him.
    Spreading his arms, Khitan unleashes a wave of energy as his voice booms over the thunderous release of gathered holy energy.

    "INVADERS! KNOW THAT THE GODS THEMSELVES LOOK DOWN UPON YOU! AND THEY ARE DISPLEASED! BEHOLD THEIR WRATH!"

    In the wake of the thunder-clap that speeds out from him, Khitan summons a second blast of psychic energy, and then slumps, nearly falling to his knees from the exertion of unleashing two powerful attacks in rapid succession.

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Move: Move up to indicated position just south of Dagrun
    Standard: Silent Malediction (Silent? And yet it deals Thunder damage? )
    Damage: (2d6+4)[14]
    Hit: Target is Stunned (Save Ends)
    Miss: Half damage and target is Dazed until the end of Khitan's next turn
    Effect: Khitan is Dazed until the end of his next turn

    vs. Trooper
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[6]

    vs. Legionnaire
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[12]

    vs. Centurion
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[16]

    vs. SG#23
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[21]

    ACTION POINT!
    Visions of Blood
    Damage: (1d6+4)[10]
    Hit: Target takes a -1 penalty to all Defenses

    vs. Trooper
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[6]

    vs. Legionnaire
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[25]

    vs. Centurion
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[23]

    vs. SG#23
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[22]



    Taking that as a sign, the last of X-COm swings into action.
    The last X-COM operative stabs at the tube-equipped X-D.
    The two communications officers look at each other with a knowing look, share a nod, and then dash forward, snatching up the fallen gaunt X-D's twin blades from its burst-open corpse as they pass.
    Wielding the long slender blades awkwardly, they charge towards the wounded X-D blocking the tunnel with a joint scream of "X-COM!"

    Spoiler: X-COM
    Show

    Operative #5 vs. Trooper
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[23] (+2 for CA)
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

    Communications Officer #2 (Charge)
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: 4

    Communications Officer #3 (Charge)
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: 4


    Vallen also joins in the attack, rushing forward to send a wave of mental pain into the mind of the armored X-D.

    Spoiler: Vallen
    Show

    Move: Move up
    Standard: Mind Spike vs. Centurion
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[20] vs. Will
    Damage: (1d10+5)[8] Psychic


    Although the tube-equipped X-D withstands Khitan's assault with minimal effect, it is swiftly buried under the energized and frenzied blows from the operative and the desperate communications officer, who shoves the X-D blade into the thing's bulbuous eye, killing it. The other communications officer rushes past to attack the harpoon wielder, as it staggers back from Vallen's mental assault right on the heels of Khitan's. Unlike its fellow, however, the armored X-D remains standing, bleeding heavily.

    Dragging himself back up to his full height, Khitan beckons Kaeravak forward, and the tiefling finds himself compelled to obey, striding several feet forward. (Khitan uses Covenent of Preservation to slide Kaeravak 1 square).
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-26 at 09:41 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Meanwhile, Aurelius feints a blow towards the X-D leader's head, and then risks lashing out with a leg to kick the ogre-sized beast directly in its wounded mid-section. Given the wince that Aurelius gives as his foot connects, the creature's armor is still pretty solid, but it roars in pain and staggers back nonetheless. Looking over at the approaching X-D reinforcements, Aurelius turns and blinks out of reality, re-appearing right behind the group.

    "Time to go! Everyone get inside the tunnel! Go go go!"

    Spoiler: Aurelius
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+15)[27]
    Damage: (2d10+4)[17]
    Muton has Vulnerability 5 All
    Move: Fey Step to indicated position


    Battle-Map

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Muton-25
    -----------------------
    Kaeravak-6 READY
    Khitan-21
    ---------------------
    X-COM-24 - DELAY
    Vallen-21
    -----------------------
    Cinder-17
    ------------------------
    Sectoid Centurion #2 - 18 DELAY
    Sectoid Grunts, Wave #4 - 15
    Grunts, Wave#2-11
    ------------------------
    Dagrun-12
    Ferrum-9
    Akamenos/Tygrin-8
    -------------------------
    ICHOR WEAVER - 8 DELAY
    Grunts, Part Trois - 7
    REAPER - 6 DELAY
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-26 at 09:50 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "Right behind you sir!"

    Having been wrenched forth by Khitan's magics, Kaeravak takes the cue to continue his advance, dashing across sundered barricades to settle against the southern pillar, mindful to avoid the corpse of his fallen colleague. Without pausing, he immediately unleashes a torrent of flame against the living wall set to bar X-Com's path. All are laid waste except the whaler x-ray as he somehow manages to avoid the worst of the conflagration, even in his dazed and savaged state.

    "It's up to you Cinder; make it happen!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 6


    Start of Turn: Take 2 poison damage.


    Move Action: Move 6 squares. Stealth: (1d20-1)[10]

    Standard Action: Ignition
    Attack vs SG13 Fortitude:
    (1d20+6)[24]
    Attack vs SG14 Fortitude: (1d20+6)[15] (Potential +2 due to Stealth, not factored)
    Attack vs SG15 Fortitude: (1d20+8)[25] (+2 due to CA from Stealth/no LoS)
    Attack vs SC1 Fortitude: (1d20+9)[13] (+1 Bloodhunt, +2 due to CA from Dazed)
    Hit Effect: (1d10+9)[15] fire damage.
    Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the start of Kaeravak's next turn. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 2 fire damage. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.


    End of Turn: Saving Throw vs Poison: (1d20-2)[8]


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+5 fire damage to the triggering creature.

    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
    Trigger:
    An ally within 2 squares of you is hit by an attack that doesn't include you as a target
    Effect: Kaeravak and the triggering ally shift 2 squares as a free action, swapping positions. Kaeravak becomes the target of the triggering attack in place of the ally. After the attack is resolved, Kaeravak can make a basic attack against the attacker.

  5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder is looking towards the incoming enemies when the sudden deflagration in their escape corridor sends a wave of heat her way. "Kae, we do have wounded and non-professionals, you know? People who can't really walk through flames?" she whispers to herself as she worries how they will get the communication and scrying officers out. "I suppose flyin' still an option..."

    With the enemy commander having been missed by the explosion, her choice of target is clear. She hopes her shot will be more fortunate than the previous one. However, once more the chaos of battle throws her aim off, and her shots rebound uselessly off the enemy armor.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Standard: Sly Flourish @ SC1
    To Hit AC - (1d20+11)[15] (inc. CA & -1 to all defences from Khitan's attack)
    Damage - (3d6+7)[13]

    Move: See map, and hide (from every enemy)
    stealth - (1d20+11)[14]

    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-08-26 at 10:22 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "Not to worry, the flames will die down soon enough. Besides, better them than a wall of x-rays!"

    Kaeravak retorts as he glances nervously towards the rear.

  7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Contemptously, the whaler X-D moves to step past the communications officer, who can barely keep a firm grip on the slippery X-D weapon as it already begins to leak black oil as it starts to disintegrate.

    Spoiler: OA
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: 4


    That proves to be its undoing as with a loud yell the man slashes it across the face, and then as the battered X-D staggers back, the X-D blade is plunged into its eye - the whaler shares the same fate as the tube-wielder.

    (He would have died at the end of the turn anyway thanks to the 2 damage zone. And he couldn't shift forward as that's difficult terrain there).
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-27 at 05:16 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Determined not to let the last of X-COM slip through their fingers, the X-D grunt adopt a new tactic. Abandoning their mental links, the unarmored X-Ds surge forward into the tunnel, forming up into three distinct and separate battlelines. Then they all send a barrage of bolts flying towards the assembled group, while the last grunt nobody had been paying attention to slips up from behind and tries to snipe Akamenos again.

    Spoiler: Grunts
    Show

    Bunch of movement, and then attacks.
    Focused on the two communications officers first, and then tracking over to Khitan.

    #19
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: 4

    #20
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage: 4

    #21
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: 4

    #24
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: 4

    #25
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: 4

    #26
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: 4

    #11's Snipe attack on Akamenos
    To-Hit: (1d20+1)[12] (-5 Cover)
    Damage: 4


    Both communications officers, standing triumphant over their enemies a moment earlier, fall beneath the onslaught, and Khitan takes several bolts, causing the already exhausted invoker to start bleeding heavily. The snipe attack against Akamenos fails, but only because Tygrin gets in the way, taking the bolt himself.

    Battle-Map

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Muton-25
    -----------------------
    Kaeravak-6 READY
    Khitan-21
    ---------------------
    X-COM-24 - DELAY
    Vallen-21
    -----------------------
    Cinder-17
    ------------------------
    Sectoid Grunts, Wave #4 - 15
    Grunts, Wave#2-11
    ------------------------
    Dagrun-12
    Ferrum-9
    Akamenos/Tygrin-8
    -------------------------
    ICHOR WEAVER - 8 DELAY
    Grunts, Part Trois - 7
    REAPER - 6 DELAY


    DAGRUN, FERRUM, and AKAMENOS/TYGRIN ARE UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-27 at 05:34 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    Seeing the small X-D's lining up to bar their exit, Dagrun rushes forward. "All right! It's about time we get a proper tunnel fight in here!" He holds his holy symbol ahead of him as he goes, and a ray of light shoots out to Khitan, as a lance of fire shoots out at one of the grunts barring their way.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move as indicated.
    Standard: Sacred Flame on SG21 (vs. Relfex) - (1d20+5)[11]
    Hit: (1d6+4)[6] radiant damage, and one Akamenos chooses either to gain 2 temporary hitpoints or to make a saving throw.
    Minor: Healing Word on Khitan. Khitan can spend a healing surge to heal his surge value + (1d6+9)[12] hitpoints.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Pushing himself up into a sitting position despite his exhaustion, Akamenos braces himself with his knees against Tygrin's sides to stay on his back as he guides the manticore back around to circle over Kaeravak.

    "Time to return the favor."

    Akamenos growls as he raises his crossbow and twists around to snap off a shot at the grunt that had been trying to shoot him repeatedly.

    Spoiler: Akamenos
    Show

    Move: Have Tygrin move to the indicated position
    Standard: Magic Weapon vs SG#11
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11]
    Hit: Kaeravak, Khitan, and Vallen gain +1 To-Hit, +2 Damage.


    The bolt leaves a brilliant streak of light across the chamber as it flies, which ceases as it buries itself in the X-D's forehead.
    (Vallen, Khitan, and Kaeravak each get +1 To-Hit, +2 Damage on their next turn.)

    (There is a piece of difficult terrain at the mouth of the tunnel, which brings Ferrum up 1 square short of the second line of sectoids unless he runs, which seems counter-productive. So I'll just have him charge the front line and Kaeravak and blow up the back two lines.)

    Rushing forward, Ferrum cackles maniacally as he races through the lingering flames of Kaeravak's explosion, reaching down to drag his sword through the flames and gather several sparks up along the length of his blade. The reforged satyr throws these sparks into the face of the southernmost X-D before chopping at it with his blade. Unfortunately, the reforged's flashy attack backfires as the sparks float back into his eyes, sending his blade arcing wide over the creature's head. (Man, poor Ferrum just seems to be cursed with 1s. >< )

    Spoiler: Ferrum
    Show

    Move: Move into the tunnel, ignoring the 2 Fire damage due to 3 Resist All from Mountain Form
    Standard: Charge SG#21
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11]
    Free (after the Charge resolves): Mark all adjacent grunts
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-28 at 08:34 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Striding forward, the multi-armed X-D squeezes a ball of black goo into its hands, tossing it back and further and packing the goo tighter as it advances.
    From the outer limits of its reach, the bastard invader pulls its hand cradling the goo ball back, and then hurls it.
    The ball lands in the middle of the group about to escape into the tunnel and then explodes, spraying blobs everywhere!

    Kaeravak finds his hands pinioned to his side by an ever-tightening band of goo, while Vallen finds herself gagged yet again.
    The goo fails to land a hit on anyone else, however.

    Spoiler: Ichor Weaver
    Show

    Double Move to indicated position on the map.
    ACTION POINT!
    Standard: Ichor Eruption on square just east of Akamenos, Area Burst 2
    Effect: Summons an Ichoroid for each enemy within the burst, which attacks that enemy immediately. The Ichor Weaver takes 35 damage - (# of Ichoroids summoned x 5) + 5.

    vs Khitan
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[10] vs. Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[2]

    vs Kaeravak
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[19] vs. Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[3]

    vs Tygrin
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[18] vs. Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[3]

    vs Vallen
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[19] vs. Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[2]

    vs Aurelius
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[17] vs. Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[3]

    vs Akamenos
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[12] vs. Reflex
    Damage: 3
    Hit Location: (1d4)[1]


    Meanwhile in the hallway, three of the unarmored X-D blocking the way open fire at Ferrum. Two bolts strike the satyr directly in the armored chest, but they barely make a dent as they shatter against his stony skin.

    Spoiler: Grunts
    Show

    #16
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: 4

    #17
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: 4

    #18
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: 4


    Taking the explosion of goo as a cue, the X-D monstrosity smashes through the barricade, bearing down on the Old Man and snapping its jaws shut at the commander repeatedly like a mad dog!

    Spoiler: Reaper
    Show

    Move: Smash through the barricade, moving to beside the Muton
    Standard: Charge Aurelius (+1 Charge) If Marked -2
    To-Hit: (1d20+12)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10]
    ACTION POINT!
    Bite Again If Marked -2
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[24]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12]


    Spoiler: Automaton OA
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[15]
    Hit: Reaper is Marked


    Inspired by its pet's example, the leader X-D also charges the Old Man with a loud roar, swinging its blade back and forth in front of it like a reaping scythe!

    Spoiler: Muton
    Show

    Charge vs Aurelius (+1 Charge)
    To-Hit: (1d20+16)[22]
    Damage: (4d8+5)[15]
    ACTION POINT!
    To-Hit: (1d20+15)[23]
    Damage: (4d8+5)[21]


    Incredibly, despite the savage assault from two powerful opponents, Aurelius seems to be in an almost sort of trance state as he nimbly weaves between each of the blow, none of them even coming close to hitting the commander of X-COM. Contemptuously, he jabs his sword into the snout of the monstrosity, forcing it back before he rounds on the X-D leader, forcing the massive creature back as well with several feints and quick slashes at its wounded side and feet.

    "You've tried and failed to stop X-COM. Next time we'll be prepared for your tricks. And the time after that, you will regret ever stepping foot on this world!"

    Aurelius vows, his labored breathing from the desperate fight adding a manic tone to his voice.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-28 at 09:36 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "THIS FIGHT IS OVER!"

    Khitan roars, recovering his breath long enough to send a wave of righteous anger lashing out at the blobs nearby.
    The blobs all explode, burned away by the divine fury emanating from the deva.
    After the attack, the deva's arms drop down to his sides as he regains his strength by the spirit of divine wrath that seemed to possess him over the past several moments of desperation fades away.
    He looks back at the approaching force and closes his eyes, seeming to accept his fate.

    "Run."

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Standard: Astral Terror vs. the Ichoroids nearby vs. Will (+1 Magic Weapon)

    on Kaeravak:
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[22]

    on Vallen:
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[13]

    Others on the floor:
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[16]
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[25]
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[15]
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[12]
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-28 at 09:42 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "Get inside the tunnel!"

    Aurelius roars, and then follows his own advice, blinking out of existence to reappear just inside the tunnel's mouth, amidst Kaeravak's flames. From inside of his tunic, Aurelius pulls out a bag with a fuse sticking out of it. He jams the bag in between the tunnel wall and the wooden supports keeping the tunnel mouth from collapsing, and then begins dragging his sword along the wall, sending a series of sparks pouring down onto the bag before the fuse finally ignites.

    The commander's plan becomes clear now - he was going to trigger one of the base's most risky defenses - tunnels designed to collapse if damage in the right spot! The risk was in whether or not the tunnel would collapse more than it was "supposed" to, burying you along with any X-D that got too close when the tunnel mouth collapsed.

    (At the start of Aurelius's next turn . . . BOOM. You don't want to still be inside the chamber when that happens, as you will be trapped here with all of the X-Ds.

    Spoiler: Aurelius
    Show

    Move: Teleport into the tunnel mouth
    Minor: Produce explosive
    Standard: Affix explosive to tunnel entrance and light it


    Following Ferrum's example, the last remaining operative charges through the flames as well . . . it doesn't end as well for him, as several flicks of fire catch his shirt, burning the man severely before he can swat them out. It still does not stop his charge on the X-D grunt before him, however.

    Spoiler: Operative
    Show

    Move: Move through the flames (he's a big boy, he can take it . . .)
    Standard: Charge SG#24 (+1 Charge)
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]



    "NO! You're coming with us!"

    Vallen shouts upon realizing Khitan's surrender to the idea that he was about to be run over by two very pissed off monstrosities.
    Lowering her shoulder, the slender researcher charges into the deva's chest, sending him stumbling back into the tunnel with her!
    As Khitan staggers over the collapsed barricade, he slams against the side of the wall, dangerously close to the explosive (but not in any actual danger? )
    Vallen staggers and nearly falls, her inertia carrying her further than she intended, through Kaeravak's wall of flames and through to the other side.

    Spoiler: Vallen
    Show

    Standard: Bull Rush vs. Khitan (Auto-hits as Khitan is very willing! To-Hit roll determines how far they go.)
    To-Hit: (1d20+5)[14]
    Move: Move further down the tunnel, burning herself on Kaeravak's wall in the process.


    While all this is going on, some more tube-carrying X-Ds appear in the tunnel that their leader made in the wall, although they are too far away to join in the battle should the group make good on its escape right NOW.

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Muton-25
    -----------------------
    Khitan-21
    ---------------------
    X-COM-24 - DELAY
    Vallen-21
    -----------------------
    Kaeravak-6 DELAY
    Cinder-17
    ------------------------
    Sectoid Grunts, Wave #4 - 15
    ------------------------
    Dagrun-12
    Ferrum-9
    Akamenos/Tygrin-8
    -------------------------
    ICHOR WEAVER - 8 DELAY
    Grunts, Part Trois - 7
    REAPER - 6 DELAY


    KAERAVAK AND CINDER ARE UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-28 at 10:05 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder takes a potshot from the shadows at the furthest enemies, in the knowledge that only her darts can reach them before they attack again. Then, she turns the corner and flies into the corridor, flying above the dying flame and straight into the melee.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Standard: Gloaming Cut @SG25
    To Hit AC - (1d20+10)[30](Inc. CA)
    Damage : at least 1
    Effect: Shift 2

    Move: see map
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    As she flies, Cinder continues to shoot, still aiming at the final row of enemies, felling a second one before it can react.

    Free action due to crit: RBA @SG20
    To Hit AC - (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: at least 1
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-08-28 at 10:16 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    "THIS FIGHT IS OVER!"

    Khitan roars, recovering his breath long enough to send a wave of righteous anger lashing out at the blobs nearby.
    "My thoughts exactly."

    Kaeravak lobs another roiling grenade of flame as he races towards the hangar tunnel, both hands transformed into violent pyroclasms, accompanied by a manic grin somewhere between madness and determination.

    "Out of my way!"

    With the first 'wall' demolished to smouldering remnants, he thrusts his palms forth, unleashing a savage tide of twisting fire that circles about his allies and slams amidst the second, bringing ashen devastation where-ever they land.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 7


    Start of Turn: Take 2 poison damage.


    Standard Action: Ignition
    Attack vs SG24 Fortitude:
    (1d20+7)[18] (+1 from Magic Weapon)
    Attack vs SG26 Fortitude: (1d20+9)[10] (+2 due to CA from no LoS, +1 from Magic Weapon)
    Attack vs SG21 Fortitude: (1d20+9)[25] (+2 due to CA from no LoS, +1 from Magic Weapon)
    Hit Effect: (1d10+11)[18] fire damage. (+2 damage from Magic Weapon)
    Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the start of Kaeravak's next turn. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 2 fire damage. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.

    Move Action: Move 6 squares. Stealth: (1d20-1)[18]

    Free Action: Action Point!

    Standard Action: Ignition
    Attack vs SG16 Fortitude:
    (1d20+7)[16] (+1 from Magic Weapon)
    Attack vs SG17 Fortitude: (1d20+7)[15] (+1 from Magic Weapon)
    Attack vs SG18 Fortitude: (1d20+7)[26] (+1 from Magic Weapon)
    Hit Effect: (1d10+11)[20] fire damage. (+2 damage from Magic Weapon)
    Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the start of Kaeravak's next turn. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 2 fire damage. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.


    End of Turn: Fail Saving Throw vs Poison: (1d20-2)[10]


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+5 fire damage to the triggering creature.

    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
    Trigger:
    An ally within 2 squares of you is hit by an attack that doesn't include you as a target
    Effect: Kaeravak and the triggering ally shift 2 squares as a free action, swapping positions. Kaeravak becomes the target of the triggering attack in place of the ally. After the attack is resolved, Kaeravak can make a basic attack against the attacker.

  17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The last two X-Ds standing in X-COMs way continue to doggedly attack, focusing on Ferrum.

    Spoiler: Sectoids
    Show

    #19
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: 4

    #20
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: 4



    Dagrun grabs Khitan and drags him further into the tunnel with a cry of "Why are you standing there, ye daft bastard? Come 'ere!"

    He then sends a wave of healing energies over the group. It has minimal effect, unfortunately, on most who have already been pushed to the limits of exhaustion.

    (Anyone with a healing surge left and is Bloodied can spend it.)

    Spoiler: Dagrun
    Show

    Move: Grab and drag Khitan back - who is willing
    Standard: Healer's Mercy


    While Ferrum slashes at the last grunt in front of him.

    Spoiler: Ferrum
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[5]


    And then Tygrin comes swooping down into the tunnel at the behest of Akamenos, sending a tail spike at the last grunt.

    Spoiler: Tygrin
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+15)[22]
    Damage: Enough
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    While the last of the group ducks into the tunnel, the X-Ds are right behind them.
    The multi-armed goo-breeding freak prepares to rush forward, only for the leader X-D to throw a massive arm up, blocking its way.
    The leader looks at the retreating group with its one remaining eye and roars in frustration, but does not move to follow - it smells the trap, apparently.
    The armored monstrosity, however, mindlessly rushes forward to fulfill its purpose: DESTROY.
    It crashes into the tunnel, shoving its jaws ahead of it to continue snapping at Aurelius with single-minded fury.
    Then the sack of black powder ignites.
    The mouth of the tunnel instantly collapses, and the thing is buried under a mountain, even its thick armored hide crushed beneath tons of unleashed stone.
    Only its head remains exposed, which Aurelius leans in to examine now that the creature is dead.
    That proves to be a mistake, as the creature roars to life one final time and with its last breath snaps at him again.

    Spoiler: Reaper
    Show

    Standard: Charge Bite (+1 Charge)
    To-Hit: (1d20+12)[29]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[15]

    Reaper gets buried under tons of rock, dies.

    Death Bite:
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[23]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12]


    "Come on, that won't stop them for long! Move!"

    Aurelius cries, leading the charge towards the hangar bay. Several more X-Ds await you in the tunnels leading up to the hangar bay, but they are disorganized and quickly cut down by the group's concentrated might before they can attack. Even more are lurking in the hangar bay, but a surprise attack from the rear by the two crewmen from the Archangel who had been hiding in Tygrin's Skyranger cabin throws them into disarray and they too are quickly cut down.

    "More are coming!"

    Vallen warns as she boards the Skyranger.

    "Let 'em come, they can stare at my perfectly-shaped ass as we get out of here! Come on, get me into this thing!"

    Tygrin growls as he lowers himself down into position beneath the Skyranger. Although no one here was a flight crewman, X-COM cross-trained its people enough that everyone knew how to suit up the Skyranger animals, and within a minute Tygrin was fully strapped in. The manticore cried out an "OH YEAH!" of glee as the magics worked into his harness took effect, boosting his strength and allowing him to move much faster than before.

    The last of the group hops on-board, with Aurelius bringing up the rear. The commander stops for a moment to look around the desecrated flight bay one last time, shaking his head.

    "We'll be back."

    He vows, and then he hops on-board and Tygrin leaps into the air and speeds towards the exit just as a group of tube-wielding X-Ds bursts in from the direction of the animal pens.

    A minute later, and then group is back out beneath the stars and breathing fresh air with relief - YOU MADE IT!

    "So uhhh . . . where do boss?"

    Tygrin growls up from his position beneath the Skyranger.

    "Around the mountain to see if Delta got any evacuation airships out, and then away."

    Aurelius orders, while digging in the Skyranger's on-board store of supplies and removing a quiver of bolts for the hand-crossbow mounted on the back of his arm.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Rounding Mount Irongullet, the group sees the running lights of four X-COM airships - evacuation shuttles - starting to drift out of the mountain. Looks like you were not the only ones who made it!

    wwwwwwhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrr..............

    "Looks like Fireteam Delta managed to get some of our people out as well. Form up with them and then embark on a course due north-by-northwest."

    Aurelius orders.

    WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    All Hell suddenly breaks loose as from around the side of the mountain, still billowing black smoke behind it like a demon from the Abyss, the silver aerial predator returns!
    It sends a stream of green plasma fire lancing out, blasting one of the evacuation shuttles apart within seconds!

    "Damnit, their air support has returned! Take that thing out!"

    Aurelius commands, as the group braces itself for the very last obstacle to its escape.

    Battle Music

    There is no Battle Map, as this is a straight-up slugfest.

    You can, however, tell Tygrin to adopt a Defensive, Balanced, or Aggressive Stance.

    (Defensive - +2 to his AC, -2 to your attacks, Balance - Nothing, Aggressive - +2 To-Hit, -2 AC to Tygrin)

    DAGRUN, FERRUM, CINDER, AKAMENOS, KAERAVAK, and KHITAN ARE UP!

    UFO will go last.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Hide - (1d20+11)[19]

    To Hit AC - (1d20+8)[18] (+2 if hidden)
    Damage - (1d6+7)[8]
    Sneak Attack - (2d6)[6] (only if hidden)
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Despite Tygrin flying in as fast as he can with no regard for his safety, Cinder's bolt glances off of the predator's armor as it zooms past - seems like it has detected the pixie and is able to turn enough to protect its badly damaged side.

    (Miss by 1!)

    Battle Map

    (Dark circle in the middle is the cabin of the Skyranger and is impassable terrain (although you can go and hide in there if you want.)
    (Assume that you're more or less always at Range 5 against the UFO - at some point due to his aggressive stance Tygrin will get in close during a round, allowing you to attack.)
    (Tygrin is spending all of his actions to fly and keep up with the UFO.)

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Cinder
    Dagrun
    Ferrum
    Kaeravak
    Akamenos
    Khitan
    Aurelius
    Vallen
    UFO
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-08-30 at 08:53 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrum growls as he sees that damn silver UFO again. "Won't you just crash already!?" He then takes out a Javelin and hurls it at the UFO. Then flips off the alien in the cockpit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Minor - Grab Javelin
    Standard - Throw Javelin (1d20+7)[23], (1d6+4)[5]
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    As Tygrin takes the to skies, Dagrun steadies himself in the cabin. His stomach immediately begins doing backflips, and the old dwarf looks a bit green. When the X-D craft shows up to make the ride bumpier, he groans, "Blast it! Someone shoot that damn thing down! Akamenos, take a shot when it's clear!"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Astral Seal on the craft (+9 vs. Reflex) (1d20+9)[12]
    Hit: UEoNT, the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses. The next ally who hits it before the end of Dagrun's next turn regains 4 hitpoints.

    Dagrun also makes ready to grant Tygrin the use of his second wind, should it become necessary.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  24. - Top - End - #534
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Hircine's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Akamenos - [Skies Above X-COM]

    Lining up his crossbow with the X-D ship, Akamenos fires a magically enhanced bolt.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Attack with Magic weapon
    Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8]
    Effect: On Hit Adjacent Allies gain +1 to Attack Rolls and +2 Damage Rolls
    Last edited by Hircine; 2014-09-02 at 06:21 PM.
    Currently DMing:

    Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

    Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

    Currently Playing:


    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

  25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak groans as the UFO makes its return before settling into an obviously perturbed grimace.

    "Asmodeus below, I've had damned well enough of you!!"

    Several spears of conflagration punctuate the pyromancer's outrage, scouring the vessel's side and melting away huge swathes of armour plating.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1

    Standard Action: Elemental Bolt (Fire)
    Attack vs UFO Reflex:
    (1d20+10)[30] (+1 due to Magic Weapon, +2 from Aggressive) CRIT!!
    Hit Effect (UFO): (1d12+11)[15] + (1d6)[3] fire damage. (+2 from MW) 29 damage.


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+5 fire damage to the triggering creature.

    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
    Trigger:
    An ally within 2 squares of you is hit by an attack that doesn't include you as a target
    Effect: Kaeravak and the triggering ally shift 2 squares as a free action, swapping positions. Kaeravak becomes the target of the triggering attack in place of the ally. After the attack is resolved, Kaeravak can make a basic attack against the attacker.

  26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Khitan joins Kaeravak in sending a lance of energy towards the UFO.

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Divine Bolt
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (1d4+4)[8]


    The bolt, while not as brutally effective at Kaeravak's blast that melts away the craft's armor plating, nonetheless penetrates through the now-weakened hull and strikes something vital inside, causing another billowing cloud of smoke to rise up from the predator's innards.

    Vallen stares at the UFO, following its fast arc across the sky as best she can, and then seeming to find her target, concentrates with a glare. Whatever she found with her mind seems to have been the most vital component of all - the pilot. The aerial predator suddenly spirals down towards the ground, clearly out of control as it goes screaming straight down into the ground at full speed, whereupon it explodes into a cloud of shrapnel and green fire.

    Spoiler: Vallen
    Show

    Mind Spike
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[26] vs Will
    Damage: (1d10+5)[13]


    Aurelius looks at the carnage that has just been wrecked and chuckles.

    "I think we should lead with that next time, Elise."

    Although she smiles at the compliment, Vallen suddenly looks a bit green, and covers her mouth with one hand as she struggles not to retch.

    "Perhaps . . ."

    She murmurs.

    "But that one was a strong-willed one. I . . . I think I had better lie down for a bit."

    Catching the elf researcher before she could fall, Aurelius helps her over towards the cabin.

    "There should be a bunk in the cabin where you can lie down."

    The commander sweeps his eyes over all of you and nods in satisfaction.

    "All of you should try to get what rest you can. We should be safe now that we are away from Mount Irongullet . . . for now, at least."

    Following the commander's gaze, you watch as another wave of shooting stars streak down into the mountain. From within the broken mountain, in addition to the thinning clouds of smoke from fires running out of things to burn, there is now an eerie blue glow. It seems the X-Ds didn't just launch the attack to destroy X-COM - they were intent on occupying the mountain as well.

    The brief respite is interrupted by a dark shadow falling across the Skyranger from above - prompting a growl from Tygrin.

    "What now!? More of 'em!?"

    Descending through the clouds is not another enemy, however, but the welcome sight of the H.H.A. Archangel.

    "Hullo! Can we provide you with an escort!?"

    Captain Delilah calls from her position at the helm.

    OPERATION HEWN STONE COMPLETE!

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-09-02 at 07:36 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Operation Hewn Stone: Results

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler: X-Ds Killed
    Show

    10 Sectoid Legionnaire – Level 1 Soldier
    8 Pseudowolf – Level 1 Skirmisher
    77 Sectoid Grunts – Level 1 Skirmisher Minion
    3 Thin Men – Level 2 Lurker
    80 Ichoroids – Level 1 Controller Minion
    5 Sectoid Trooper – Level 3 Skirmisher (Technically you captured 2, but they were executed to avoid a repeat of Irongullet)
    9 Sectoid Centurion – Level 3 Soldier
    2 Sectoid Awakener – Level 2 Support
    7 Thin Man Slasher – Level 2 Skirmisher
    2 Reaper – Level 4 Elite Soldier/Brute
    1 Sectoid Ichor Weaver – Level 4 Elite Controller
    1 Sectoid Heavy Weapons – Level 2 Artillery
    1 Damaged UFO Gunship – Level 5 Solo Skirmisher (Bloodied)


    Spoiler: X-Ds Encountered
    Show

    (These are the ones that survived the Airship Assault and the Final Base Escape Rush)

    2 Sectoid Heavy Weapons – Level 2 Artillery
    1 Thin Man – Level 2 Lurker
    1 Sectoid Heavy Weapons – Level 2 Artillery
    1 Reaper – Level 4 Elite Soldier/Brute
    1 Sectoid Ichor Weaver – Level 4 Elite Controller
    1 Muton – Level 10 Elite Brute


    Spoiler: Artifacts Recovered
    Show

    1 High-Yield Explosive
    50 Black Ichor (Recovered from all the bodies on the Archangel and the handful of objects you collected along the way during the operation – you didn’t really have the opportunity to collect all the bodies/gear given the circumstances)


    Spoiler: Personnel Saved
    Show

    X-COM
    Commander Aurelius Silvermane – Level 10 Soldier (Leader)
    Tygrin – Level 10 Skirmisher
    Professor Vallen – Level 5 Controller
    Waifera – Level 1 Leader
    Tharrok – Level 1 Soldier
    3 Researchers – Level 1 Support Minion
    1 Security Officer – Level 2 Mook Soldier
    2 X-COM Deckhands (Ichoroid Prisoners from the Hangary Bay)

    Nuwessan:
    Captain Delilah – Level 1 Soldier (Leader)
    Lieutenant Whifflebottom – Level 1 Artillery
    4 Archangel Crewmen – Level 1 Skirmisher


    Spoiler: Casualties
    Show

    X-COM:
    5 X-COM Security Officiers – Level 2 Mook Soldiers
    3 X-COM Communication Officers – Level 1 Skirmisher Minions
    1 Researcher – Level 1 Support

    Nuwessan:
    6 Archangel Crewmen – Level 1 Skirmisher


    Primary Objective – Escape with Command Staff - SUCCESS
    Spoiler
    Show

    The successful escape of Aurelius Silvermane has ensured that X-COM will, in some form, continue on despite the termination of the X-COM project. For the time being, Aurelius has gone underground in an effort to discretely re-establish support for X-COM while investigating who convinced the Council to cut funding.

    Effect: The game will continue. ( )


    Secondary Objectives
    Spoiler
    Show

    Ensure X-COM Operatives Survive – SUCCESS
    Spoiler
    Show

    Despite her horrific injuries, Waifera survived the attack and is expected to make a full recovery save the loss of her feet. She is being flown to Nuwessan to receive ongoing medical care from the theocracy’s very capable healers under the orders of Captain Delilah.

    Tharrok, much to his chagrin, also survived the battle despite the loss of a hand in addition to a number of serious injuries to the torso. Like Waifera, Tharrok is being flown to Nuwessan to receive care from the theocracy’s skilled healers. There are also rumors that Captain Delilah has submitted a request for Tharrok to be awarded the Silver Wings for his steadfast defense of the airship before the team could arrive to help defend it – a rare honor to someone from outside Nuwessan.

    Effect: Waifera and Tharrok, although they will no longer be active field agents due to their crippling injuries, will nonetheless be available in the future as valuable assets for X-COM. Boost to X-COM’s morale.


    Ensure X-COM Research Staff Survives – SUCCESS
    Spoiler
    Show

    Professor Vallen and a handful of her research staff were successfully evacuated from the base before it was overrun – along with a significant portion of their research on the X-D threat thus far.

    Unfortunately, the professor will not be able to continue her research until a new laboratory is built, although she has already devised a way to take advantage of existing research and resources to provide the team with some new tools.

    Effect: Once X-COM’s new base is operational, Vallen and her staff will generate Research Points for X-COM towards the currently chosen project. More immediately, the team may choose from one of three research projects to already have completed, and be supplied with three prototype artifacts related to that research.
    Available Research Projects: Enchanted Weapons, Enchanted Armor, Protective Enchantments


    Ensure Non-Essential X-COM Personnel Survive – FAILED
    Spoiler
    Show

    Unfortunately while key X-COM personnel were evacuated safely, all of X-COM’s communication specialists and virtually all of its security personnel were killed in the battle. While their loss will not prevent X-COM from continuing to operate, it has left the organization considerably short-staffed.

    Effect: No bonus resources nor personnel earned. Hit to X-COM’s morale.


    Assist Fireteam Delta with Evacuation – FAILED
    Spoiler
    Show

    Despite overwhelming enemy numbers, Fireteam Delta held the evacuation shuttle bay until all surviving members of X-COM were able to reach the bay, or die trying. The price for holding the bay without outside support was dire, however, as all but one member of Delta perished in the desperate struggle. The lone survivor was badly injured and traumatized, and will not be able to return to duty for the foreseeable future.

    Effect: No bonus resources, personnel, or “extra lives” earned. Hit to X-COM’s morale.


    Recover Delta Team’s Skyranger – SUCCESS
    Spoiler
    Show

    Rescuing Tygrin not only provided the team with an effective ally, it also gave the team access to Fireteam Delta’s Skyranger. As a result, this cutting edge resource was preserved and the team will be able to use it on future operations to quickly arrive in the mission area. During a mission, Tygrin will also be available to be called upon for limited aerial support.

    Effect: X-COM still has access to a Skyranger, and during an operation the team has the ability to call upon the manticore to come and deliver a strafing run against targets exposed to attack from the air (i.e. not underground – Operational Power). Boost to X-COM’s morale.


    Save the H.H.A. Archangel – SUCCESS
    Spoiler
    Show

    Although terribly damaged by its encounter with the X-D gunship, the H.H.A. Archangel nonetheless was able to make it back to a port in Nuwessan. The air cruiser will require at least a month in dry dock for repairs to be fully completed, although the cost of doing so is significantly less than building a replacement air crusier would be.

    Even more importantly, several key members of its crew including Captain Delilah and Lieutenant Whifflebottom survived, and their first-hand experience in combating the X-D menace will be invaluable in formulating a defense against their superior aircraft.

    Most important of all, however, Captain Delilah’s report on the battle contained glowing praise of the team that rescued her airship and crew. This report has convinced Speaker Magdah to continue Nuwessan’s support for X-COM, despite cancellation of the project.

    Effect: Nuwessan still supports X-COM, and will continue to provide funding – for now. (Additional funds will be available once X-COM has a base again.)



    Overall Rank: A-

    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-09-03 at 09:39 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The small convoy moves along the heading that Aurelius initially gave, following the length of the neutral zone set up between Forectu and Hausenberg that Mount Irongullet was right in the middle of. Eventually you leave the unclaimed area and enter Forectu's airspace - unlike the dwarves who maintained a modest force of airships Forectu had very little in the way of an air force. Or military for that matter, but it's organized guild of adventurers tended to more than make up for that in all but a full-scale war. Given it's proximity to Mount Irongullet, a full-scale war might very well be headed the country's way soon enough. No doubt some of the glory-hungry people living in Forectu would welcome such a war - to start with. After the horrors witnessed tonight, you were no longer sure the X-D menace *could* be stopped, given the relentless assault they had made on Irongullet. In any event, first you would need to lick your wounds and consider what to do now. Aurelius had a plan that far out at least, as he orders a course correction now that you were within Forectu's borders.

    "Tygrin, turn to west by northwest. You should soon see some lights peeking up through the forest canopy. That'll be the hamlet of Glory's Hallow. We can rest up there for a few days while I contact the Council and we wait to hear from Fireteam Gamma and Epsilon. Assuming they got any communiques from our command center, they'll know Irongullet has fallen and that this is the designated rendezvous spot."

    "Uhh . . . boss, you know I'm from Forectu, right? And that I joined X-COM to get away from here? You got a plan to keep the psychotic natives from killing me and turning me into a rug? Or hiring a group of *******s to do it for them!?"

    Tygrin rumbles back, prompting a weary smile from the X-COM commander.

    "You're much too ugly to be made into a rug, Tygrin. But if anyone is stupid enough to try, just tell them that you've been enslaved by me. Given how little the average citizen of Forectu thinks of slavers, they'll be too busy trying to kill me to finish you off!"

    "Oh, that's great. My fate rests in the hands of adventurers that are so ambitious they'd rather try to kill a famous war hero than little old me."

    "You could always try talking to them first. Telling them that you're a bodyguard for a foreign dignitary ought to be enough for them to leave you alone - unless you've just gone and eaten all of their livestock."

    "Yeah yeah. A manticore has gotta eat, y'know!? I make no promises."

    *******************************

    Following his stated plan of contacting the Council as soon as possible, Aurelius retires to the Skyranger's cabin while Tygrin continues to lead your aerial convoy to Glory's Hallow.
    It doesn't take long for it to become clear that things are not going according to plan - given that Aurelius's voice is suddenly heard, even through the walls of the cabin.

    "What do you mean, the Council is of one mind about this!? You've never agreed unanimously on a single decision before now! . . . Let me be clear, this is a war we are fighting, and in war setbacks are to be expected. I warned you when I took this job that putting a stop to this threat might not be so easy a task, and I assumed that you agreed with me given that you specifically asked for me! . . . Look, I've fought with my back against the wall before, or has the Hellish Crusade been forgotten already!? I'm not asking for absolution, just a little faith in . . . Fine. I understand my orders. But I refuse to accept them! Aurelius Silvermane, X-COM Commander, out!"

    A minute later, a flustered and grimacing Aurelius steps back out onto the deck. The eladrin general stares down at his hands, flexing them carefully as if by focusing on the action he could soothe his anger. It seems to work somewhat, as his voice is level as he turns to address the group.

    "Well, it would seem that we are no longer an army. We are a resistance movement, without support or a country to follow. But we still have our cause, forged in the blood of our fallen comrades. I will not allow their sacrifices to have been made in vain against this threat, even if the Council has decided to pursue "other" avenues to victory!"

    Aurelius shakes his head.

    "I cannot demand that you follow me anymore, as there is no more X-COM. The project was officially terminated by the Council as of five minutes ago. But I ask you - remain in this fight with me. We are not beaten yet, and while I have made a grave mistake in underestimating our enemy's cunning and strength, it is not a mistake I intend to make a second time! But a general is nothing without his troops - I cannot win this war alone. Will you continue to stand with me against this threat to our world? Not as soldiers following orders, but as equals working together in common cause. Or, you may return home - and try to warn your people of the terrible danger they are about to face. But I do not think that any one of us has the strength to face this enemy alone. Uniting the world against a common threat was the purpose that X-COM was created for, and even if X-COM is dead I would dare to hope that it's purpose remains for as long as one of us yet draws breath."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    "I cannot demand that you follow me anymore, as there is no more X-COM. The project was officially terminated by the Council as of five minutes ago. But I ask you - remain in this fight with me. We are not beaten yet, and while I have made a grave mistake in underestimating our enemy's cunning and strength, it is not a mistake I intend to make a second time! But a general is nothing without his troops - I cannot win this war alone. Will you continue to stand with me against this threat to our world? Not as soldiers following orders, but as equals working together in common cause. Or, you may return home - and try to warn your people of the terrible danger they are about to face. But I do not think that any one of us has the strength to face this enemy alone. Uniting the world against a common threat was the purpose that X-COM was created for, and even if X-COM is dead I would dare to hope that it's purpose remains for as long as one of us yet draws breath."
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier

    Cinder is comfortably sitting in a shelf halfway up the wall, in between a couple of gear packs, and is busy cleaning wolf blood from her rapier. She looks up at her compatriot and smiles at him. "Where else would I go? My Queen kicked me out, remember? 'Ya like fightin'? Follow th'old man to his early tomb!'. Best order I ever got from Miss High-and-Mighty Cerridwen. If I go back, she'll put me in flower-colorin' or some other dumb court stuff. Nah, I'll stick by ya side, and kill more of 'em bastards. I ain't plannin' to be the first Ashborn in over 10 generations to die in bed. I say, let 'em idiots taste a bit of the consequences of sendin' XCOM packing - when the alien bastards come rainin's down, they'll come crawlin' back to you, you mark my words. I know them paper-pusher's style, and the moment they see their precious cities in danger, they'll find a reason to call us back. I ain't worried 'bout that. In the mean time, I'll be killin' who you tell me to kill, as always."
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Having decided to continue following the Old Man despite the disbandment of X-COM, you all stay in Glory's Hallow for several more days, recuperating from the ordeal of the X-D attack.
    The hamlet is supplied well enough to see to your needs, but is clearly not defensible enough to serve as a long-term base of operations.
    Also, while genteel enough, by the end of the third day the townsfolk were starting to give your group dirty looks on account of Tygrin.
    The manticore had done his best to stay on the town's good side, but the massive creature had to eat something, and the villagers weren't happy about the loss of their sheep despite being reimbursed for them.
    It seemed likely that if you stayed here much longer, that things would come to a head, likely in the form of the village announcing a bounty on your heads and bands of adventurers swarming out of the wilderness to collect.e

    Which was why on the morning of your second full day here, Aurelius approached the group with a set of folders - and an announcement.

    "The Archangel's leaving for Nuwessan by noon. Repairs have been completed enough for them to think that the air crusier can make the flight all the way there. Hopefully their healers will be able to do something about Waifera's and Tharrok's injuries as well. I will be going with them. Something's not quite right with the Council simply up and terminating the X-COM project - either they think they've found a better solution, or they've been flat-out lied to. I intend to find out exactly why, along with approaching some . . . old friends that I have scattered here and there about discretely loaning us some of their own black operation funds to keep us solvent. In the meantime."

    Aurelius hefts the folders, and tosses them onto the table in front of you all.

    "I want you to find a new home for us. Ideally, something that will be even harder than Irongullet for the X-Ds to attack. Those folders should give you an idea of where to start. Until I return, you are effectively in joint command. Take Vallen and the rest of the survivors with you so that they can get our new home up and running ASAP. Even if our new base is more secure, I would caution against trying to capture any more of the invaders until a way to completely block their psionic links is found. Vallen thought she had sufficient wards up in Irongullet, and she was clearly wrong - unless you think the risk is worth it, I wouldn't bring anything back alive."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •