Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 571 to 600 of 755
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    As more kobolds stream into the room, Kaeravak seems almost conflicted between whether he should be dismayed or elated, the thrill of battle at odds with his more pragmatic sensibilities.

    "Another fireball, comin' up! Watch yourself Ferrum."

    Nonetheless, his fire does flow after making himself scarce, laying waste to the reinforcing group of mercenaries as a hellish swathe erupts amidst it.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1

    Move Action: Move 2 squares. Stealth: (1d20+5)[7]

    Standard Action: Ignition
    Attack vs KQ1 Fortitude:
    (1d20+11)[19] (+1 Magic Weapon, +2 CA)
    Attack vs KD2 Fortitude: (1d20+9)[13] (+1 Magic Weapon, potential +2 CA not included)
    Attack vs Ferrum Fortitude: (1d20+4)[8] (+1 Magic Weapon, -5 War Wizard Expertise)
    Attack vs KT4 Fortitude: (1d20+11)[18] (+1 Magic Weapon, +2 CA)
    Attack vs KT5 Fortitude: (1d20+9)[25] (+1 Magic Weapon, potential +2 CA not included)
    Hit Effect: (1d10+12)[18] fire damage.
    Effect: Burst creates a zone until the start of Kaeravak's next turn. Creatures that enter or end their turn in the zone take 2 fire damage, and can only take this damage 1 / turn.

    If a hit target survives:

    Free Action: Hellfire Heart
    Effect: The enemy takes 6 fire damage. Until the start of your next turn, it has a -2 penalty to the attack rolls of attacks that include you as a target


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+6 fire damage to the triggering creature.

  2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    Dagrun moves to the corner of the prayer alcove and tosses another bolt of radiant flame at the Kobold with the large shield next to Ferrum. He peers around the corner to assess the situation on the balcony and mutters to himself, "Damnable little dizards, always turnin' up where ye don't want 'em."

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: as indicated on the battlemap.
    Standard: Sacred Flame on KD1. Wisdom vs. Ref: (1d20+6)[26]
    Hit: (1d6+4)[9] radiant damage, and one ally you can see (Khitan) chooses either to gain 3 temporary hitpoints or to make a saving throw.

    OOC: I'm going to need a token of a spectral dwarf for when I summon up my spirit companion, anyone have a good suggestion?
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Hearing Kaeravak's warning prior to throwing in another fireball, the kobolds react in different ways.
    The javelin throwers squeak in terror and scamper backward, dancing back out of the explosion just as the fireball hits - one of which retreats fully back into the briefing room and disappears from sight entirely.

    (Immediate Interrupt from each Tunneler when hit by AoE - Shift 3 Squares)

    The dragonshield, on the other hand, simply repositions his kobold tower shield in between him and the blast, coming through it unscathed.
    Confidentially lowering its shield with a smirk, the dizard's grin is blasted away by a ray of light from Dagrun that catches it full in the face.

    Seeking to continue the party's momentum, Akamenos slides another bolt into place and sends it flying at the shield-wielding kobold.
    The tiefling then moves forward into the lobby, taking cover with the rest of the group behind the shrine.

    Spoiler: Akamenos
    Show

    Standard: Magic Weapon vs. Dragonshield #2
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8]
    Hit: Kaeravak, Dagrun, and Khitan each get +1 To-Hit, +2 Damage until Akamenos' next turn
    Move: Move north 1 square
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The kobold deflects Akamenos's arrow as contemptuously as it blocked Kaeravak's explosion, prompting Khitan to try his luck.

    "Begone, defiler!"

    The deva shouts as he raises a hand to blast the dragonshield with a burst of light similar to Dagrun's own, although the flash of light is more distracting than punishing.

    (Khitan will take Dagrun's 3 THP, thank ye very much.)

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Standard: Mantle of the Infidel on Dragonshield #2
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[18] vs Will
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6] Radiant (+2 Magic Weapon, so actually 8)
    Hit: Dragonshield #2's Marked penalty is -4 instead of -2.


    The blast proves to be too much for the kobold, and the shieldwielder collapses.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-01 at 08:53 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Undeterred by his ally's lack of success, the other kobold sends a clay pot flying towards Cinder with his staff sling.

    Spoiler: Kobold Slinger #2
    Show

    Standard: Staff Sling vs. Cinder (-2 Prone)
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]
    Effect: (1d3)[2]


    Unlike the previous kobold, this one's throw is much more accurate, and the clay pot scatters against the small of Cinder's back, coating the poor pixie with tar before it all bursts into violent flame, giving her her namesake!
    Upon seeing this, the kobold does a little jig at its success.

    (Cinder takes 9 Damage, and Ongoing 2 Fire Damage (Save Ends) - 2 Ongoing already applied in the Tracker for Cinder's next turn since she's up next).

    Battle Map

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Cinder - 26
    ---------------------
    Drow Stalker #2 - 26
    Drow Stalker #1 - 22
    Quickblade #2 - 18
    Kitchen Tunnelers - 17
    Briefing Room Tunnelers - 15
    Kobold Slinger #1 - 12 DELAY
    ---------------------------
    Kaeravak - 6
    Khitan - 6
    Ferrum - 4
    Dagrun - 2
    Akamenos - 15 DELAY
    --------------------------
    Kobold Slinger #2 - 4 DELAY


    CINDER IS UP!

    (Remember that the Drow currently sees Cinder, and while she is aware of what square he's in, he's still Invisible so it's still a -5 Total Concealment penalty to attack him).
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-01 at 08:58 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    "$%&@!" whispers Cinder, fighting the pain as she struggles to take aim at the more dangerous looking kobold advancing through the centre of the room. The shot is barely accurate, half the bolts missing the intended target, but the puny kobold is still left bleeding from a handful of puncture marks to the face.

    As soon as her bolts are off, though, she scrambles back to her feet, furiously beating at the flames out and diving into the shadows next to Dagrun.

    "Yo, Dagrun, think you be havin' some of that healin' for me next?" she says, eyeing with some envy the glow surrounding Akamenos and Khitan.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Standard: Sly Flourish @KQ2
    To Hit AC - (1d20+11)[20] (inc. CA)
    Damage - (3d6+7)[13] (inc. Sneak Attack)

    Minor: Agile Recovery: Stand up

    Move: to square where Dagrun is. Hide:
    stealth - (1d20+13)[19]

    End of Turn
    Saving Throw - (1d20)[1]
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-10-01 at 09:43 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    "But how is he going to heal you, when he's too busy healing all of your other friends?"

    A harsh voice calls from around the side of the shrine, an instant before the drow re-appears, directly in front of Khitan, slashing at the deva with his scimitar!
    Fortunately for Khitan, the drow is a complete failure and smashes his scimitar into the shrine instead of Khitan in the narrow confines of the hallway, like a complete and utterly incompetent boob.

    Spoiler: Drow Stalker #1
    Show

    Move: Move to Indicated Position
    Standard: Scimitar vs. Khitan (+2 CA)
    To-Hit: (1d20+10)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+14)[15] (Automatic Critical Hit vs. Targets that Cannot See the Drow, Scimitar is High Crit (+1d8 on Crits))

    My Monsters never get to do anything cool.

    If Attack Hits Khitan, Follow-Up Two-Fisted Shooter attack on Kaeravak (Does not provoke an OA from Khitan due to the proccing of the Crit)
    To-Hit: (1d20+10)[23]
    Damage: 12 (Automatic Critical Hit vs. Targets that Cannot See the Drow)




    Spoiler: Drow Stalker #2
    Show

    Actions which the party cannot see.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-01 at 09:52 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Seeking to make up for their completely useless boss, the kobolds continue to swarm after Ferrum, pelting him with javelins, a charge, and a clay pot.

    Spoiler: Kobolds
    Show

    Tunneler #4
    Move: Move around the table to the north (he can cut corners around the circular briefing table), use Shifty as a Minor to get into sight of Ferrum again.
    Standard: Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: 4

    Tunneler #5
    Standard: Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: 4

    Tunneler #6
    Move + Shifty to indicated Position, Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage: 4

    Tunneler #7
    Move + Shifty to indicated Position, Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: 4

    Tunneler #8
    Move + Shifty to indicated Position, Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: 4

    Tunneler #9
    Move + Shifty to indicated Position, Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: 4

    Tunneler #3
    Move + Shifty to indicated Position, Javelin vs. Ferrum (This was has -2 Cover penalty)
    To-Hit: (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage: 4

    Quickblade #2
    Use Move action power to shift 3 squares, Shifty to Shift 1 Square, and then Charge Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage: (1d6+11)[15] (+8 damage due to shifting 4 squares since the start of its turn)

    Slinger #1
    Staff Sling vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]
    Special Ammo: (1d3)[2]


    Despite being attacked from all sides, the satyr weathers the assault fairly well, only two javelins slipping through his guard and the slinger's clay pot shattering against his shield, spraying Ferrum with burning tar.

    (Ferrum takes a total of 14 damage from all that, barring any resistances/temp HP I didn't take into account. He has Ongoing 2 Fire damage, but his Font of Life from being a Warden lets him make a save before he takes any damage, so I didn't include that 2 Fire at this time.)

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Cinder - 26
    ---------------------
    Drow Stalker #2 - 26
    Drow Stalker #1 - 22
    Quickblade #2 - 18
    Kitchen Tunnelers - 17
    Briefing Room Tunnelers - 15
    Kobold Slinger #1 - 12 DELAY
    ---------------------------
    Kaeravak - 6
    Khitan - 6
    Ferrum - 4
    Dagrun - 2
    Akamenos - 15 DELAY
    --------------------------
    Kobold Slinger #2 - 4 DELAY


    KAERAVAK, KHITAN, FERRUM, DAGRUN, and AKAMENOS ARE UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-01 at 10:06 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    Seeing Cinder plummet next to him in dire need of healing, Dagrun nods his head and motions out into the hallway before shifting closer to Ferrum and infusing the little sprite with radiant light. "I thought ye were supposed to be sneakier than that! Not to worry though, I'll have ye fixed up straight as a bar o' gold," he beams before focusing on the nearby kobold. "And the spirit of my ancestor will watch over ye." As he says this last bit, a spectral dwarven warrior dressed in an ancient style of platemail silently stalks into the room from the hall to stand next to Cinder. When it takes up its post, it glances at Cinder and gives her a silent nod of acknowledgement.

    Dagrun raises his holy symbol high and shouts, "Now ye filthy dizards! Ye'll taste the wrath of Moradin!"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: Shift one square closer to Ferrum, have the Einherjar move up to stand in Dagrun's former position.
    Minor: Healing Word on Cinder
    Effect: Cinder can spend a surge to heal her surge value + (1d6+4)[6]
    Standard: Sacred Flame on KQ2. Wisdom vs. Ref: (1d20+7)[13]
    Hit: (1d6+6)[10] radiant damage, and one ally you can see (Cinder) chooses either to gain 3 temporary hitpoints or to make a saving throw.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2014-10-02 at 11:09 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Kaeravak moves up to lean against the facility's threshold in a readied crouch, the blade of his implement infallibly tracking after the emergent drow.

    "Waiting on you Aka; pick off a kobold and I'll see what I can do about the drow."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2

    Move Action: Move 1 square. Stealth: (1d20+5)[6]

    Standard Action: Ready Elemental Bolt vs DS1
    Trigger: Akamenos attacks.


    If a hit target survives:

    Free Action: Hellfire Heart
    Effect: The enemy takes 6 fire damage. Until the start of your next turn, it has a -2 penalty to the attack rolls of attacks that include you as a target


    Contingencies:

    Free Action: Infernal Wrath
    Trigger:
    Kaeravak takes damage from a creature within 10 squares of him
    Target: Close burst 10 (triggering enemy within the burst)
    Effect: Kaeravak deals 1d6+6 fire damage to the triggering creature.

  11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrums sees the sea of kobolds rush out and start launching Javelins at him. With the exception of a few hits against him, he does pretty well in dodging or deflecting the attacks. "Alright you shifty little bastards, my turn!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard - Mark KQ2 with free action again, and Strength of Stone on him (1d20+8)[16]
    damage - (1d10+4)[13], I gain 3 THP
    Move - IF that finishes him, I will move to in front of and in between KT7 & KT8 as indicated. If it doesn't finish him, I will shift one up.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    There is a meaty crunch as Ferrum's weapon impacts with the incoming kobold's sternum, and then the little beast is down on the floor, bleeding out.

    Reloading his crossbow, Akamenos snaps off a shot at the kobold that has silhouetted itself in the doorway leading into the briefing room, a familiar magical tracer lancing out as he does so.

    Spoiler: Akamenos
    Show

    Magic Weapon vs. KT4
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[9]
    Hit: Kaeravak, Dagrun, Cinder, Khitan gain +1 To-Hit, +2 Damage
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The tiefling arcanist curses as his bolt goes wide, thunking uselessly into the doorway, and the magic fades before it can take effect.
    This seems to have a cascading effect as Dagrun and Kaeravak blast at two separate targets.

    Dagrun takes this opportunity to summon a bolt of holy fire to burn one of the javelineers beyond, but the kobold narrowly manages to duck out of the way in time.
    (So no bonus saving throw for Cinder, not that it would matter since the save was a failure anyway).

    Meanwhile, Kaeravak shoots a lance of solid fire at the drow assailant. His lance hits his target dead center of mass, and burns a hole clean through the drow's chest. The dark elf doesn't even have time to look down at the gaping hole burned through his torso before he falls over, quite dead.

    Spoiler: Kaeravak's Readied Action
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[20] vs Reflex
    Damage: (1d12)[5] + (1d6+10)[16] Fire
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-10 at 11:56 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Taking advantage of the cleared way, Khitan steps over the drow's body and advances into the open, raising a hand to blast at the three kobolds off to Ferrum's right.
    Two more of the pint-sized menaces fall, but the last one manages to dive for cover just in time, leaving Khitan's divine energy to sail harmlessly overhead.

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Hand of Radiance vs. KT8, KT9, KT3 vs. Reflex
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[15]
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[15]
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[13]
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-11 at 12:00 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Spoiler: Ferrum's Saving Throws
    Show

    Font of Life - (1d20)[20]
    End of Turn - (1d20)[17]


    The kobold up on the balcony almost directly above Ferrum does not like the reforged satyr's proximity, and decides to rain down another clay pot onto him.

    Spoiler: Slinger #2
    Show

    Pot Shot vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4]
    Pot: (1d3)[1]


    Again, the kobold miniature artillery is quite accurate, and a terrible stench fills Ferrum's nostrils as the clay pot splits open across his shield, distracting him and nauseating even him!
    (Ferrum has a -2 penalty to attacks (Save Ends).


    Battle-Map


    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Cinder - 26
    ---------------------
    Drow Stalker #2 - 26
    Kitchen Tunnelers - 17
    Briefing Room Tunnelers - 15
    Kobold Slinger #1 - 12 DELAY
    ---------------------------
    Kaeravak - 6
    Khitan - 6
    Ferrum - 4
    Dagrun - 2
    Akamenos - 15 DELAY
    --------------------------
    Kobold Slinger #2 - 4 DELAY


    CINDER IS UP! (And takes 2 Fire damage, which has already been recorded)
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-11 at 12:07 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder snaps another shot at the kobolds on the second floor, killing it instantly. Cinder, however, is clearly more concerned with the oil still burning her skin than their presence. She finally succeeds in shaking the last few drops off, but not after a few more blisters in her skin. Ignoring the kobolds in the room, she says to the group at large "Bit worried th'other drow ain't come back to see what all the ruckus' about. I ain't likin' th'idea that it's just setting a bomb to drop this 'ouse down to the next level We better go see what 'e's up to."

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show


    Standard: Sly Flourish @ KS1
    To Hit AC - (1d20+11)[24] (inc. CA)
    Damage - (3d6+7)[16] (inc. Sneak Attack)

    Move: west, next to the door (see map), and hide (from KT5 and drow, plus anyone not in the room)
    stealth - (1d20+13)[30]

    End of Turn:
    Saving Throw - (1d20)[10]

    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-10-13 at 09:36 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The remaining kobolds screetch and squabble amongst themselves, clearly much less brave than they had been a minute ago.
    Nonetheless, in desperation they swarm Ferrum, while the one in the briefing room exits and follows the wall north, pausing only to hurl a javelin at Ferrum.

    Spoiler: Kobolds
    Show

    KT#4
    Move & Minor Shift to indicated map position
    Javelin vs. Ferrum
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: 4

    KT#5,#6,#7,#3
    Move to indicated positions around Ferrum, #3 using minor shift to get past Khitan
    Attack Ferrum (+2 Flanking)
    #5
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: 4

    #6
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage: 4

    #7
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: 4

    #3
    To-Hit: (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: 4


    The hurled javelin has the luck of the desperate, lodging itself deep into Ferrum's shoulder (crit - lucky it wasn't the Drow who did that ). One of the other kobolds also manages to stab Ferrum in the back, but otherwise the reforged satyr is able to hold his attackers off. (Ferrum takes 2 hits for 8 damage.)

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show

    Cinder - 26
    ---------------------
    Drow Stalker #2 - 26
    Kitchen Tunnelers - 17
    Briefing Room Tunnelers - 15
    ---------------------------
    Kaeravak - 6
    Khitan - 6
    Ferrum - 4
    Dagrun - 2
    Akamenos - 15 DELAY
    --------------------------
    Kobold Slinger #2 - 4 DELAY


    KAERAVAK, KHITAN, FERRUM, DAGRUN, AND AKAMENOS ARE UP!
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-14 at 05:38 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrum gets surrounded by kobolds, but again seems to dodge most of their attacks. He cracks a smirk and goes on the offensive, swinging at a kobold next to him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Free - Mark all those around him
    Standard - Strength of Stone on KT5 (1d20+6)[8] (with the -2)
    Damage - (1d10+4)[12], and I gain 3 THP

    Save - (1d20)[17]

    I also took away 3 dmg on Ferrum because he had 3 THP that I don't think got counted in there. If they were, then just go ahead and add it back.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

  19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    Dagrun breaks cover and moves out to provide the slingers another target in an effort to give the others a chance to unleash hell on the kobolds. His Einherjar advances as well, and moves into a flanking position with Ferrum. Dagrun hurls a bolt of radiant fire at the nearby kobold, and surveys Ferrum's wounds.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move as indicated. Einherjar moves as well.
    Standard: Sacred Flame on KT4 - (1d20+6)[16]
    Hit: (1d6+4)[5] Radiant damage and Cinder or Ferrum can choose to gain a saving throw or 3 temp HP.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    The kobold manages to dance back out of Ferrum's reach, but the one kobold on the outside of the melee around the satyr is not so lucky as Dagrun comes up behind it and sears its head down to the bare skull with holy fire. Taking this as their cue, the rest of the squad advances into the lobby at last as Akamenos beckons for Kaeravak to follow him. As the two tieflings advance, the arcanist snaps off a shot at one of the kobolds around Ferrum, while the pyromancer blasts at the staff-sling wielder up on the balcony.

    Spoiler: Akamenos
    Show

    Move: Advance into lobby
    Standard: Ready an attack against KT5, Trigger - Kaeravak moves adjacent to him.
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]
    Hit: +1 To-Hit, +2 Damage for Dagrun & Kaeravak


    Spoiler: Kaeravak
    Show

    Move: Adjacent to Akamenos
    Standard: Elemental Bolt vs. Slinger
    To-Hit: (1d20+9)[17] vs Reflex
    Damage: (1d12)[6] plus (1d6+10)[15] Fire.
    Hellfire Heart for another 6 damage if it lives.


    Finally, Khitan comes around the other side, blasting at the remaining kobolds with a hail of divine bolts.

    Spoiler: Khitan
    Show

    Move to indicated position
    Standard: Hand of Radiance vs. Kobold Tunnelers 6, 3, 7
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[26] vs Reflex
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[13] vs. Reflex
    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[22] vs. Reflex
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-19 at 05:46 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Only one kobold remains standing after the brutal assault, and judging from the way it's frantically looking around at all of its dead comrades, it was likely planning on fleeing as quickly as it could.

    CINDER IS UP!
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    (It's a minor action to open doors, I believe.)

    Cinder carefully pushes open the door leading into the guest room hallways, expecting trouble as the second drow was somewhere beyond. No crossbow bolts fly at her, and instead she is greeted with an ominous ticking softly drifting out of the open doorway to the nearest guest room.

    Meanwhile, the last kobold turns to run with a screech, startling Ferrum but giving him an opening at the creautre's fleeing back.

    Spoiler: Ferrum's OA
    Show

    To-Hit: (1d20+6)[17]


    Ferrum's blow hits, sending an arc of blood into the air as the kobold goes down, sliding across the floor a short distance before coming to a stop, where it twitches for a moment before lying still forever. No other enemies present themselves in the suddenly silent entry hall.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-10-20 at 05:07 AM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    (It's a minor action to open doors, I believe.)

    Cinder carefully pushes open the door leading into the guest room hallways, expecting trouble as the second drow was somewhere beyond. No crossbow bolts fly at her, and instead she is greeted with an ominous ticking softly drifting out of the open doorway to the nearest guest room.
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Paying only partial attempt to Ferrum's fun, Cinder checkes the room, then advances into the room, staying well into the shadows. "Great, we have loose drow runnin' 'round the house. And leavin' little presents behind, too." She checks the first room, stowing away her sword and pulling her tools form her belt bag. "Better take care of the present before the bastard, I'm thinkin'"
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Giving the battlefield a final routine sweep before his tensed muscles settling into a more relaxed posture, Kaeravak nods, eyes affixed on the stairs, as though in expectation of reinforcements.

    "Makes sense to me. Let's mount up on the door; you and Ferrum should head in and check it out while the rest of us provide cover."

  25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Inspectre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Checking out the open guest room, Cinder does not find the drow, but she does find the present he left behind.
    Sitting on the floor in front of the bed is a squat bundle of liquid-filled vials and gears, complete with a clock face that reads roughly 11 minutes before midnight.
    This is clearly the source of the ominous ticking, and as Cinder watches the liquid inside one of the vials begins to bubble, the level of liquid almost imperceptibly but inexorably lowering with each tick.

    Of the drow himself, he is not in the room, and a quick check of the second guest room reveals that he is not hiding in there either.
    So he either vanished into thin air - or he knew about and used one of the secret doors at the back of each guest room, complete with spy holes.
    Apparently these were guest rooms in the original drow manor, and the spy holes and doors allowed the manor's owners to spy on their guests, and if they didn't like what they saw, sneak into the room while its occupants were sleeping and kidnap them, dragging them off down the attached secret passage to the torture chamber. Of course, that room was no longer a torture chamber, but rather an alchemical lab now. The fact that the drow knew about the secret passages was not surprisingly, but it was troubling - these invaders had inside information on the layout of X-COM's new home.

    Focusing on the matter at hand, Cinder digs out her tools and approaches the bomb, before Akamenos bursts into the room and gives a low whistle.

    "Is that . . . a Svirfneblin Stonebreaker? I've never seen one but I've heard about them. It won't be the only one in the building. I could work on disarming it while you find the rest?"
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

    Threads I'm currently DMing:


    Threads I have successfully completed:

  26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    "Is that . . . a Svirfneblin Stonebreaker? I've never seen one but I've heard about them. It won't be the only one in the building. I could work on disarming it while you find the rest?"
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    Cinder looks him up and down, then says, "If ya think ya can be 'andlin' it, be my guest. Mind givin' me one of your pick-me-ups before we leave? My side's still stingin' from the stupid drow bolt."
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    After ensuring that none of the kobolds are simply playing dead, Dagrun sweeps his gaze around the main entry hall of the X-COM training center. He let's out a low whistle of appreciation at the craftsmanship, as he runs his hand over the end of one of the bannisters. When the mention of the device planted in the next room reaches his ears, he shakes himself from his reverie. He looks to Cinder and asks, "How long do we have to find more of 'em? Do we need to split up to search this place, or should we stick together? We should be careful, because there's still some of them cowardly Drow about, right?"
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagrun View Post
    "How long do we have to find more of 'em? Do we need to split up to search this place, or should we stick together? We should be careful, because there's still some of them cowardly Drow about, right?"
    Cinder Ashborn, Pixie Harrier


    "'Bout 10 minutes, be my guess. I ain't thinkin' they expected company, not after emptyin' the buildin', so I can't imagine they'd be playin' games with the timer like settin' it to go off at five to midnight. Aka 'ere can disarm 'em, and I can probably figure out what I need to break to stop 'em, but separatin' beyond that ain't a good idea, unless the rest of you guys can also stop the things. There were plenty of other drow up in the roof, it ain't just the one that ran for it, so it's not cowardly as much as intelligent to go for reinforcements. The sneaky bastards ain't stupid, more's the pity."

    Looking around for options, she adds, "I'd rather try to short-cut the drow, but if 'e's been leavin' presents, I'm afraid we must follow straight. Thankfully, there ain't many choices if 'e's takin' the secret passage. 'E's also probably not runnin', not while carryin' Sehanine-knows-what alchemical $#%&, so we might be able to catch up to 'im before he 'as time to place too many of 'em things. Ferrum, you got good ears, you need to be listenin' for more of the tickin'"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-10-22 at 10:21 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Deadline's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Necro-equestrian Pugilism
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Dagrun, Dwarf Cleric

    The dwarf nods and adds, "Then we should catch him. Also, one of 'em came out of that room over there," he points to the room to the left of the entrance, "And we'll be needin' to take at least one of 'em alive, so we can find out where they took our people." He hefts his shield and prepares to follow in pursuit, or stay and guard Akamenos until he disarms the device.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

    Signature of Holding

  30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Irish Musician's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Pub Near You
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: X-COM: The Fourth Dimension IC (D&D 4E)

    Ferrum, Reforged Satyr Warden
    Ferrum hears the ticking after the battle dies down a little and his eyes go a little wide. Cinder starts to get to work on it when Akamenos bursts in and explains the situation......it doesn't make Ferrum feel any better. "Well, that's just great. Not only do we have to catch ourselves a damn drow, but we have to find and disarm these damned bombs before we all get blown to bits!" Ferrum looks at the group and cracks a wide smile, "Sound like fun to me! Lets get goin'!"
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

    DMing:

    Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

    My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

    LGBTA+ Ally

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •