Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 131
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    “The dark times came and we were not afraid, and Kalanaris stood between us and the unclean. The grunni herds grew lean and we were not afraid, and the Wise interceded with the Storm Lord and they grew fat again. Now warriors come from the skies to fight each other for our lands. And to them I say – who will stand beside us when the dark returns, and our people disappear in the night? Who will remind us not to fear?”

    - Jhekoth the Red, Outrider of the Tribe of Kalanaris

    If the holos and propagandists are to be believed, the life of an Imperial Guardsman is all glorious victories and triumphant parades among grateful populations. A pessimist (or, from a certain point of view, a realist) might argue that these events are short-lived and interspersed with last stands, retreats, and bloody stalemates. Neither takes into account the true bane of the Guardsman’s life, the bogeyman that haunts his dreams and causes the most refined of officers to curse as viciously as any dockside thug.

    The hard part, as they say, is the waiting.

    The Dragoons are three months into transit. Three long, dull months, with nothing to ease the pain of waiting save for endless dismounted drills and make-work. While their host vessel, the Carrack-class transport Enemy of Fate, is spacious by the standards of such void-craft, there is not nearly enough room to train in the sort of combat the regiment specializes in. All suitable holds are given over to supplies, housing for mounts, and (at the insistence of the Tech-Priests that swarm over the ship in anticipation of some incipient discovery) arcane technological artifacts. And as if things weren’t crowded enough, space has to be shared with another regiment – the 38th Khazar Lancers, fellow mounted troopers drawn from agri-world nobility. This has provided an easy outlet for tension on both sides, and sneering comments about “farmboy soldiers” and “packs of mongrels” were common early in the voyage. Several individuals in both regiments now proudly sport fresh dueling scars, despite half-hearted disapproval from the Commissariat. Notably, the party least happy with the arrangements appears to be the Lancer’s horses, which have to share makeshift stables with their canine counterparts.

    At last, however, it seems the waiting is through. The fleet has translated back to realspace, reportedly all present and accounted for, and waits in orbit above Virbius. No orders have been issued yet, but it is expected by many that official briefings will begin in a matter of hours, followed by deployment to the planet. As of now, all guardsmen not directly involved with preparations are confined to quarters, where they should be safely out of the way. This is not as bad as it could have been – the regiment’s accommodations are comfortable enough, as befits their aristocratic station. Each squad is assigned a room; in your case, this is a rather cozy berth on Gamma Deck, above the Enginarium and just two hatches down from the refectory. It is fitted with a dozen bunks, lockers for weapons and equipment, and a vox-outlet rather tastelessly disguised as a wreath-bedecked brass cherub. Currently, it is broadcasting stirring anthems and hymns to the glory of the Emperor at a volume just loud enough to be startling if it ceases.

    Which, of course, it does briefly, before starting back up again mid-verse…
    Last edited by Doc Kraken; 2014-01-18 at 02:53 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The good doctor sat at a desk, looking through a set of medical books he had managed to find on board the ship. He took a few notes in his own notebook, hoping to have the opportunity to try some of the surgical techniques listed. He usually sat by himself, since most of his squad mates found him to be arrogant. Dr. Hauptmann knew it was a mixture of jealousy and mental inadequacy for most of them. The Enginseer was usually the only one who could carry on a decent conversation. Fortunately, he had proven his skill as a medic, so he was tolerated by his companions, if not liked.

    When the music paused for a moment, he paused as well, looking up for a moment. Glancing back at the book, he closed it and handed it to his assistant before putting his notebook in his jacket pocket. Standing up, he walked over to the Sergeant and cleared his throat. "My Lady, would now be an appropriate time to see about requisitioning any equipment the squad might desire? This may be our last opportunity for a bit ..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how we go about it, but maybe some commerce to try and get extra weapons and all that?
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-01-19 at 11:46 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Regina Holt, the unflappable, the obsessive, the strange, and the many other things, sat tall at a small writing desk she had 'appropriated' somehow for the cabin. She had never said how. Nor did it likely seem that she would, only that she used it and refused to share it with anyone else, letting them be content to use the deck plating, bulkheads, or the laps as a writing surface.

    She was dressed in her uniform, kept immaculate as always. Over the course of the voyage you must have seen her have it cleaned, pressed, and starched upwards of a hundred or more times. Honestly it was hard to keep track, as she constantly had some lackey running off to do it. But it kept her an orderly figure in her dress blues, her uniform kept clean of any rank badges, or medals and honors she might have (Or might not have, the Sergeant was never very clear about it) earned to this point. She was frowning slightly, her expression lost in thought as she scribed in long, flowing strokes of the quill upon the forms before her.

    It took her a moment to notice the approach of the doctor, answered only by a slow lifting of her head, her green eyes staring back from beneath dark amber locks, a stark contrast to her pale skin. "I am already working upon it, Doctor. Any and all requests should be processed through Hedge Knight Dominique, as appropriate, and will be added to the forms. There is an order to all things, particularly our munitorium and its workings." It wasn't a reprimand at all, it didn't carry that sort of tone. It was just how she was, obsessive, particular with regulations and details, wanting things to work in this smooth, orderly fashion.

    The trooper in question, Regina's left hand figure, vox-tech, and general assistant looked up from the bunk she was sitting on, giving the Doctor a nod of recognition before waving him over. Dominique was... a lot different than Regina. Less obsessed with the Holy Order of the Manual. She was dressed in a uniform that, while well kept, was not obsessively so like her Sergeant's. And had been someone known to procure things for favors. Often bumping requests up the ladder faster than they should in return for whatever little tidbits and treats would be offered for the service. She smiled and leaned back, hands resting on the bunk, keeping her propped up, ankles crossed as they tucked back under the bed. She had a slight smile on her face, wondering what the Doctor would do to get his request some extra attention.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    smoke prism's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    3 months.
    Vax thought too him self.
    3 months of hell, traded inside a metal box, surrounded by savages

    In fact the only way he'd keeped his sanity was to dual anyone who offeneded his or his squad mates honour. The amount of cuts and lasarations the good doctor had too stich up had come to the attention the squads Commissariat who confined Vax to his quaters for the remainder of the journey. Only letting him out for training.

    That was 3 months ago. Vax is sat on a dark wooden chair behind a table made of a similar wood. On the table lays Vax's hotshot halfway through a strip down and cleaning procedure. Each part gleaming like a mirror after 25 years of polish.

    Herring who to go to for requisition caused Vax to smile, it was well know that Hedge Knight Dominique would bump requests up the ladder.
    Getting to his feet, Vax moves towards Hedge Knight Dominique to pass her a letter for his requisition.

    Spoiler: The letter
    Show
    Storm trooper Vax erron hival the X requesting the use of a holy Hot-shot laspistol.


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requesting the use of a hot-shot laspistol
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2014-01-20 at 03:45 PM.
    Avatar by Kurien

    "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche


    View my newest homebrew (feedback is greatly appreciate):
    The Vile speaker-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-PEACH-welcome

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Veche groaned. It wasn't the first time he groaned, and it wouldn't be the last time as he stared up at the ceiling from his bunk. He had been staring at that spot for the Emperor only knows how long. There wasn't anything there, at least there didn't seem to be anything there.

    But he didn't SEEM to be suffering from some form of warp dementia. He was still alert, still seemed himself. He was just intolerably bored since being confined to quarters.

    "When are they going to let us out?" he asked, something he had been repeating for a while now.

    Without even looking up Regina replied, "They will when they will, Knight Galt."

    "Come on... I got a nice little thing going with the dirt boys. Might not be much in a fight, well... not that I'd know," true, he had avoided the dueling so far, not exactly known as the best blade among the Dragoons, he hadn't pressed his luck with the Lancers, "You know they got this strange little purple fruit thing... quite delicious. And some of those troopers? Well..." he whistled low, "Don't grow 'em like that back home."

    Regina groaned. And Symonne shot him a look from her own bunk. If Veche noticed, he didn't seem to pay too much heed to it. He swung his head down over the upper bunk, looking down at the Stormie, Doc, and Hedge Knight Dominique, "Usual deal, right?" he asked her.

    Dominque smiled, "Sure thing, sir," knowing just what exactly the unusual gunner was after.

    Veche flipped back onto his back, staring up at the deck again. His toes were tapping against the wall, passing time, eager to get out and be able to roam once more.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The Enginseer Issac sits on the edge of his bunk in the back of the room, one of the few without another bed above it, feet on the floor absorbing the reassuring vibrations from the Enginarium. "One would think that on a vessel that is the manifestation of the power of the Omnissiah, at least the occasional hymn to His glory could be played." he mutters to himself before shooting a pointed glare at the briefly silent vox-outlet. If only great-grandfather had not meddled I wouldn't be on this vessel headed towards certain death on some Segfault ridden battlefield. He thinks sullenly, recalling the strings the patriarch of the family had pulled to manipulate the course of his career in the Adeptus Mechanicus, ensuring his assignment as the Enginseer representative attached to a regiment from his homeworld. Even the illegitimate child of a third son of a third son was a game piece in the politics of the Noblesse, and in a House whose wealth was founded based upon strong ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus, that meant being assigned to deadly warzones with the incredibly slim chance of uncovering some valuable archeotech or STC... Thus increasing the family's prestige in the eyes of the Adeptus Mechanicus. With a short, soft burst of static he scrawls a missive in High Gothic and hands it to his servitor. "Take this note to medicae Hauptmann," he says to the simple-minded combination of man and machine.

    Spoiler: Request
    Show
    If you have the opportunity to attempt another supply requisition, might I bother you to attempt to procure a red-dot laser sight?
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Scarce


  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Just as the Enginseer passes his note, the broadcast system stutters again, this time emitting an audible burst of static before falling silent completely. The deck below your feet gives a tiny lurch as the vox-spirits whine faintly, prerecorded devotionals giving way to a cool, businesslike female voice.

    "Attention. The fleet - "

    Is as far as it gets before cutting out again, and this time, it takes the lights as well. The room is plunged into complete darkness, a change that is accompanied by a faint whiff of hot metal, a far-off grinding sound, and an almighty jolt strong enough to send loose objects clattering to the floor. The darkness is dispelled in a few moments as emergency lighting paints your quarters a deep crimson, and the gaudy vox quickly follows, voice rising over a faintly audible clamor in the background.

    " - not a drill. Repeat, the fleet has come under attack. All hands to action stations, all guardsmen to report to the nearest launch bay for departure. This is not a drill."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    As the sergeant began to prattle on about proper forms and requisition processes, the doctor mentally berated himself for having forgotten Lady Holt was a stickler for processes. He bowed low, excusing himself from her presence, with a simple, "Yes, m'lady.

    He turned and found one of the squires handing him a note. As he read it, the world suddenly went crazy as lights flickered and warning claxons began to sound. With a sigh of resignation, the Doctor moved to secure his personal gear and readied himself to follow the rest of his troope.

    It seemed requisitions would have to wait ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Cancel last order, engage porter protocols." Isaac snapped at his servitor. While his servitor gathered up his saddlebacks from his footlocker, the enginseer donned his armour, and gathered up his las-weapons, and sword. The hunting lances, being of little use on board ship, were stored in the temporary stables alongside the saddles and other tack. He followed the rest of the squad out of their berthing while muttering to himself. "We're going to die before even reaching the planet's surface... Likely explosive decompression."

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Nice and orderly, Hedge Knights, assist your Knights in prepping, we've been trained for this," Regina mentioned as she finished the last bit of her paperwork, and stood away from her desk. She followed her own orders, letting Dominique assist her in strapping on her armor, checking her weapons as she kitted out. Fully decked out in her plate armor, with the Heraldry of her family, the crest of a Dusk Dog on a background of dark green on her left shoulder pauldron, she then worked to help get Hedge Knight Dominique into her armor, and armed up.

    Similarly though with far less formality, Symonne and Veche armed up. Veche was chattering away through most of the procedure, "Didn't know these blighters had warship cocky enough to challenge us? Did you? Seems quite daft. I mean who can look at a ship like this and think '... I can take it...'? Particularly one filled with above average guardsmen like ourselves? Why I figure they'll just put us on some cutters and use us to clear that other ship deck by deck. BAM! Didn't think that one through too much, now did they?" Veche laughed as he finished putting on his helmet, and helping Symonne kit out, "Easy victory, a lot of glory, gonna get my Right real fast if they keep feeding us marks like this..."

    Regina chimed in as everyone got prepared, "Enough, down to the landing bays. The Emperor will guide us in all things." Taking her duties to the logical extreme, she lead the way, first to fight, last to leave, that's was just the sort of leader she wanted to be. And that meant being at the point of the march down to the Launch Bays.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    smoke prism's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Hearing the alarm Vax practically dives towards his freshly polished hot shot, he slinging it over his neck with one hand and with the other he picks up his storm trooper helmet, shoving it on his head with zeal.
    "Yes, time too get out of this metal tomb."

    Vax moves over to the exist door and indicating that he will cover the others exit.
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2014-01-20 at 05:59 PM.
    Avatar by Kurien

    "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche


    View my newest homebrew (feedback is greatly appreciate):
    The Vile speaker-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-PEACH-welcome

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The constant combat drills finally pay off, helping the squad get their cumbersome armor and available kit together under Regina's watchful eye. During the process, the ship shakes twice more, each vibration accompanied by the far-off scream of tortured metal. The last quake is also followed by a hissing, sputtering noise and the acrid stench of melted plastics. In stark contrast to your own discipline, the corridor reverberates to the sounds of panicked hurrying - either combat-equipped ratings rushing to man their posts, or guardsmen who have bypassed the time-consuming process of strapping on their armor to make a swifter escape.

    At last, the squad assembles, ready for action. The door opens smoothly as you advance, Knight-Sergeant Holt leading the charge and the ever-disciplined Vax providing cover. The corridor is bathed in the same bloody light as your chambers were; notably, it appears abandoned, other hatches swinging open in mute testament to their inhabitant's flight. Up ahead, the passageway to the closest landing bay is all but obscured by thick steam, a snake's nest of wires spilling from one of the walls. They thrash and flail as if in pain, leaving trails of glowing blue sparks across the floor. The smoking remains of a servitor can be seen a few meters down the corridor, charred hands still reaching to the wires as if to contain the damage. Amber warning-runes have lit up along your left, indicating an alternative route. They terminate at a maintenance hatch, the cover of which has already been pried off and discarded.

    As far as you can tell, the only living thing still remaining in this section of the ship is a forlorn, slight figure swathed in red. He stands at the door of one of the empty quarters, alternatively chattering to himself in Techna-Lingua and making full use of an enhanced vox-system to howl down the empty hall.

    "Cowards! Heathens! Return at once and assist me! By the Omnissiah, I'll have you dipped in sacred oils and set aflame!"

    Every now and then he stops to tug at something - apparently a portable cogitator attached by a few cables to a blocky, meter-high databank, somewhat curtailing the device's selling point. It's obviously far too heavy for him to move.

    Spoiler: The Mechanicus Keeps Its Secrets
    Show
    Isaac easily recognizes the lone Tech-Priest as Volleran Hyne, a brilliant - if rather officious - individual known for his obsessive tendencies. He was part of a group assigned to catalog Virbius' native life, both flora and fauna.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Knight Holt quickly gestured, "4 volunteers, assist the Tech-Priest," it wasn't the highest priority, but it was part of her duty to oversee the safety of the Machine Cult, its personnel, and its materials, so it was hardly a hard choice. Between four of them lifting, it should be possible to make a path out. Regina kept ahead, making sure the path was clear towards the Alternate Route, wary in case they were being boarded themselves, and might have to deal with potential Severan Intruders. "Quickly now!"

    For his part, Veche volunteered, and Symonne was Volunteered by her superior, approaching the Tech-Priest, "My apologies good sir, but haste demands a certain virtue, no disrespect to the Machine Spirits intended, I assure you," as Symonne and Veche set up to lug the data-bank of the Tech-Priest, "We'll do our best, all considered, to show proper respect." Veche gave the tech-priest a grin, "Come on now chaps, heave, show those muscles, can't let little ol' me show off to all the ladies alone, can you?"
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Greetings Tech-priest Hyne, I would be honoured if my assigned servitor could aid you in saving this machine spirit." Issac says with a bow, before taking his saddle bags from his servitor with an internal groan, sending a command via MIU for the servitor to aid in moving the cogitator, employing it's integrated Servo arm for it's intended purpose.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The Tech-Priest jumps at the sound of voices, peering suspiciously at the group of guardsmen. He relaxes as he spots Isaac.

    "Enginseer Kennoch?" He warbles. "Praise be to the Omnissiah, I thought I was the only enlightened one left on the deck! Please, direct your servitor to the transit port toward the databank's rear. Mine would be assisting me with this priceless data even now, but..." He gestures toward the crispy mess of metal and flesh down the corridor. "And that pack of greased imbeciles assigned to protect me told me to leave it before bolting. Abandon my research, can you imagine that? No!" He snaps, rounding on Symonne. "Don't grasp it like that! Use the handholds, see? And ensure you lift with your knees, unless you've augmented your spine beyond the feeble biological construct you were born with!" He clutches the portable cogitator protectively even as he berates the poor Hedge Knight. Something rumbles deeper in the ship, as if to punctuate his rant, and the sound of something suspiciously like gunfire echoes in the distance...

    Spoiler
    Show
    The assigned group will be enough to carry the databank, but it'll slow them down, especially in cramped spaces. As it's designed to be transported by servitor, Unit Omicron will shoulder most of the burden.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Unfortunately less enlightened individuals than this squad tend to overestimate the value of their own lives. It would perhaps be a more fitting punishment for the leader of the group to replace your unfortunate Servitor, should they happen to survive. Sergeant, while the odds at present are not in our favour, it might be a good idea for members of the squad not engaged in aiding the Tech-Priest to clear the way ahead." Enginseer Isaac advises.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Live fire men, this is not a drill," Regina Holt called out as she heard the sounds of unchecked weapon fire within the ship. She took out her own personal chain sword, weapon of choice when not Honor Dueling, and her pistol in her off hand, the one with an exterminator attached to the barrel, ready to blast the enemies of the Emperor with holy promethium and soften them up for a charge. "Close quarters protocols, protect the Cogitator first, Tech-Priests second, yourselves third, Dominique, with me." Let it never be said that Regina was an NCO who didn't practice what she preached. Along with her Hedge Knight, they took up point, checking and clearing blind corners before the group got to it, ready to put a blade in someone's face if they jumped out to harass the party.

    For their part, Veche and Symonne were helping out with the cogitator bank, one hand lifting by the handle, the other on their Las Pistols, ready to add to the volume of fire if need be. "Heave to, come on, easy work here, just gotta carry on carrying on. Greater responsibilities and all that, can't just run off like scared grox at the first spot of trouble," he said as he helped carry the data bank in the wake of Regina and Dominique's advance.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "I will aid in the transport of this sacred machine spirit while those more suited for bringing violence to the Omnissiah's foes do so." Isaac says taking part of the load, his servitor still doing the grox's share of the work.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    smoke prism's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Commander I'll cover the exit." With this Vax clutches his hot shot and points it into the darkness behind the main of his squad.
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2014-01-21 at 01:34 PM.
    Avatar by Kurien

    "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche


    View my newest homebrew (feedback is greatly appreciate):
    The Vile speaker-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-PEACH-welcome

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The squad proceeds into the maintenance hatch, Knight-Sergeant Holt and Dominique in the lead. The passageway is even more cramped than the rest of the ship, evidently designed for compact servitors or smallish workers. You can move through it, but only at a slow and relatively noisy pace. The databank doesn't help in the slightest, its bulk filling most of the corridor. While Isaac and his servitor are managing just fine (despite a constant litany of complaint from Hyne), Galt and Symonne are forced into rather uncomfortable positions in order to not be squashed against the walls. Holt's point-man activities soon take her and Dominique ahead of the slow-moving porters, leaving them under the watchful eyes of Hauptman, Dalisen, and Vax.

    Notably, the sound of gunfire appears to have ceased.

    A few minutes into the journey, Holt reaches a blind corner, the passage having taken a sharp left turn. What's more, she can hear voices coming from further down.

    "...not much of a fight. Why'd they even need the reinforcements? The troops dirtside could have mopped this lot up easily enough."

    "Yeah, you'd think that, just try and tangle with them on the ground. We caught 'em with their pants down, Gerran. That ain't gonna happen again."

    "Only 'cause the Legate's not giving them a chance to. Man! We're going to be swimming in medals by the end of this!"

    "Knock it off!" A third voice snaps. "We're not out of this yet. Gerran, I want you and Harls looking for anything that might direct us to savior pods. I don't want to be caught three decks away when the order comes in. Torval, Margen, keep an eye out for any more of the traitors."

    It's possible for Holt to peer around the corner just enough to avoid attracting attention. The passage had been opened - but the guardsmen who took it last hadn't gotten very far. A pile of bodies carpets the floor; eight Dragoons, mostly sporting light flak vests in place of the traditional heavy plate. A handful of ship's ratings lie nearby, one clutching a hissing portable vox. Here and there is the bulky form of one of the invaders; soldiers clad in black flak armor trimmed with white, the cruel features of the separatist Duke Severus emblazoned proudly across the chest. Five of them still stand; one pair, armed with shotguns pried from fallen ratings, keeps a ready eye out down the passage behind them. Another group of two, these toting lascarbines much like your own, moves along the corridor to Holt's left, too preoccupied by deciphering arcane safety-runes and the poorly scratched cant of menials etched into the wall to notice the Sergeant's arrival. The last, armed with the laspistol and chainsword so common to Imperial NCOs, has taken a sword from one of the fallen Dragoons, apparently to admire the balance. Its blade is notably unbloodied.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The lascarbine-armed troops are five meters to the left of the passage entrance. The shotgun sentries are ten meters to the right, and their sergeant is fifteen meters to the right. The main corridor is twenty meters wide, with pillar-lined alcoves every thirty meters that could potentially be used for cover. The passageway itself is ten meters wide, has five meters before the turn (where Holt and Dominique are positioned), and then extends another fifteen meters before reaching the rest of the squad. The advance has been so far undetected, provided you don't make too much noise...

    Initiative, please!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Surprise Round Actions

    The Throne favors the bold, and Regina Holt remembered that well, all it took was one quick gesture to Dominique and they knew what they were going to do, shooting around the corner to bathe the Severan Boarders in holy Promethium, Regina calls out over the squadron vox, so all her men could hear it and draw inspiration, "IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR, SMITE THEM!"
    Spoiler: Surprise round stuff
    Show
    Using the Order "Get Them!": (1d100)[38] vs 46 Command, if successful until my next turn every attack that is benefiting from Close Quarters Combat or Ranged Volley Fire inflicts +4 damage as well.
    Half Action, Exterminator Cartridge used on the Severans, benefiting from Ranged Volley Fire from Dominique, so they only have a +15 agility against not being set on fire.
    (1d10)[1] +4, Pen 2 Energy damage. +4 extra if "Get Them!" worked.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The Doctor followed the others, dressed only in his flak jacket and helmet. His assistant had the luxury of carrying his nobleman's plate, and seemed to be enjoying every minute of it. Hauptman did not volunteer to lug the techpriests crates around, nor did he volunteer to take point or back or whatever other areas needed 'taking.' He had attended Hah'Vaad, for Emperor's sake, not half-track operator's school!

    As the group moved forward, the Knight-Sergeant Holt started making hand signs at the group - hold still and wait, or some nonsense like that. She peeked around the corner, then suddenly leapt out screaming something about smiting someone, and a roar emerged from her weapon. Blinking, he fumbled to raise his weapon, suddenly chilled by the chance of being shot at.

    "Ah, my lord, your safety ..."

    Hauptman glanced down at his weapon, then shot an angry look at Dalisen, whispering back, "Yes, yes ... I just didn't want to shoot the people in front of me!"
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Holt's warcry is the first indication the attackers have that someone is nearby. The giant fireball bursting forth from the hatchway is the second. Neither sentry has time to scream before it engulfs them, scorching their armor and eagerly devouring their cries of surprise and panic. They react with surprising discipline, avoiding the worst of the attack and quickly slapping down the flames that took hold along their limbs, but both men are still moderately burned.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The sounds of battle reach the enginseer's still organic ears, causing him to emit a short descending tone, not unlike a biological sigh. "If you will excuse me Tech-priest Hyne, but it appears we have encountered the enemy. In order to provide the greatest chance of saving your research I fear I must aid my comrades. I recommend setting the holy cogitator down for the moment, we shall resume forward progress should we survive." He says plainly as he and his servitor begin putting the Cogitator down.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Not sure if putting the Cogitator down would be considered a half action move, regardless:
    Comrade: Maintain Cohesion
    Half action: move (either to put the cogitator, or move towards the enemy (but not in front of the meatshields sergeant and co.
    Half action: Ready laspistol

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Releasing the databank is indeed a free action, although if Galt and Symonne don't put it down quickly they might strain something.


    Hyne burbles in dismay as the servitor unceremoniously detaches itself and hurries along after its master. "Irrelevant! This data is of primary importance! Your course of action is not optimal!" He does not move away from the databank, nor does he put down the cogitator.

    Outside the passage, the Dominate troopers appear to have recovered themselves somewhat - or at least realized that they've fallen under attack...

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Agreed, hence why I am risking my own continued existence to aid in preventing its destruction by heretical forces." Isaac replies over his shoulder.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    "Look at it this way, there's gonna be shooting, would you rather it happens Over There, or Over near your Cogitators?" Veche helpfully offered as he set down the Cog Bank and hustled off after the sounds of battle along with Symonne. If he got to the corner spotting the burnt, but still alive Severans aboard his ship, and reflexively putting another gout of flame into the boarders for good measure along with Symonne.
    Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    Not sure if he can get to the corner this turn, and if so what he might have action wise. Presuming he has a half action left? He's going to follow in Regina's wake and fireblast the damned guys she already hit, Volley Fire with Symonnne.
    In which case: (1d10)[5]+4 +4 "Get Them!" order still in effect, Pen 2.

    Dominique and Regina didn't waste time to see what was going on with the ones they fire blasted, knowing that Haste was often the better measure of Planning in a battle like this. Regina thought of the Tactica Imperialis, "A war is easily won when your enemy doesn't know he's fighting". Chainswords out, they came at the the closest enemy, just around the corner from them, charging at the Severan, "ONWARDS! The cowards are nearly routed! No Mercy!"

    Spoiler: More Certain Stuff
    Show

    Regina charges at the Severan, Dominique remains in cohesion and does Close Battle Order.
    "Get Them!" Order being refreshed: (1d100)[79] vs 46 Command. If successful all squad mates continue to have +4 damage when Volley Firing/Close Battle.
    Charge Attack: (1d100)[21] vs 40 WS +20 charge, +10 Standard Attack + 10 for Close Battle Order, total of 80.
    Damage, if Successful: (2d10)[2][5](7) + 2 + 3 Strength +4 "Get Them!" if successful, Pen 2.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The Severans seem to have reacted relatively well to being repeatedly fireballed out of nowhere, all things considered. One of the troopers even manages to fling himself out of the way of Galt's burst of flame. The other isn't so lucky, catching the full fury of an Exterminator cartridge head-on for the second time in under a minute. He takes a deep breath to scream, drawing superheated air into his unprepared lungs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[50]


    ...which is probably not the best decision ever. Coughing and gasping, the man collapses to the ground, clutching at his throat. He's not out of the fight, but he's probably not going to be much of a threat. At least for the moment.

    Oddly enough, the pair sent to scout the area seem a little more awareness of their surroundings than the sentries. Regina's target is forewarned of her charge moments before impact, the deadly chainsword buzzing past his left ear as he ducks reflexively. Whatever else he is, he's definitely quick.
    Last edited by Doc Kraken; 2014-01-24 at 12:52 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    The Doctor gripped his rifle tightly, following the others forward slowly. It wouldn't do rush forward and place himself at unnecessary risk - not when he was obviously one of the most important members of the squad.

    Keeping the others between him and their opponents, he waved impatiently for Dalisen to follow him. With his lascarbine ready, he peered around the corner. Seeing one of the men on the floor, he took careful aim, hoping to catch him unawares.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So, BS 22, Aim, single shot, companion aid, short range ... TN 67? (1d100)[78]
    Damage, if necessary: (1d10+3)[7] Adjust if I miscalculated!
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-01-24 at 11:51 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doc Kraken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bits of New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Clouds Gather (Only War)

    Spoiler
    Show
    22 + 10 (aim) + 10 (standard attack) + 5 (Comrade fire) + 10 (short range) - 10 (prone target) comes out to 47, I believe. Miss either way, sadly.


    Doc might have the best surgical eye in the squad, but firing a gun is a bit different from wielding a scalpel. The gasping man rolls sideways, trying to figure out how best to stop hurting, and the lasbolt scorches a path along the deck plating.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •