New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Runemaster Custom Class

So this class is something I'm designing at the request of my DM. I'm going for a concept I haven't seen before. If a wizard is a fullcaster, a paladin is a halfcaster, and eldritch knights are partcasters, then what I'm going for is a three-quarter caster.

I've seen in other threads people discussing the balance of things like Extra Attack, citing examples like the "bladelock" and the Valor bard. Rest assured, I am aware of these.

I took influences from a couple different classes. From the warlock we have the 5th-level-spell cutoff, with one 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell coming at appropriate levels. From the barbarian's Path of the Totem Warrior I've got the three-tiered choose-a-feature thing.

Also, I'll make the fun little "consider-this-when-making-a-runemaster" thing later. Just mechanics for now.

Anyway, all that said, here we go!

Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per runemaster level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Con
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8(or 5) plus your Con per runemaster level

Proficiencies
    Saving Throws: Con, Int

Level 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st 2 - - - - - - - -
    2nd 3 - - - - - - - -
    3rd 4 2 - - - - - - -
    4th 4 3 - - - - - - -
    5th 4 3 2 - - - - - -
    6th 4 3 3 - - - - - -
    7th 4 3 3 1 - - - - -
    8th 4 3 3 2 - - - - -
    9th 4 3 3 3 1 - - - -
    10th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    11th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    12th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    13th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    14th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    15th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    16th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    17th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    18th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    19th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    20th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -

1st Level
    Spellcasting
    Progresses the same as wizard, with two exceptions: spell slots cap at 5th level slots, and no cantrips.
    Ability: Intelligence

Starting Proficiencies
    Armor: light OR medium
    Weapons: simple, and three martial weapons of your choice
    Tools: smiths' or woodcarvers' tools
    Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Athletics, Nature

Spellcasting
    Studying runes confers upon you magical ability. Runes are quite concise, and a Runic Weapon will have plenty of room for your spells, growing more and more covered in symbols as your repertoire expands. You choose spells from the runeseeker spell list (list not made yet).

Runic Weapon
    When you choose this class, you gain a Runic Weapon, already engraved with six spells from the runemaster list. This weapon functions as a spellbook as well as a weapon. To prepare spells from your Runic Weapon and to benefit from any passive effects, you must be attuned to it.
    You can create another Runic Weapon. It must be created from scratch, as magic must be infused from the beginning. This is a lengthy process, even though magic speeds up the physical side considerably: 720 hours of work, done in three phases of 240, no less than six hours each day. A 240-hour phase must be completed in an unbroken string of days, but you may pause indefinitely between phases. You must also pay a cost in gold determined by your DM, to pay for special materials.
    Each level you may add one spell to your runic weapon, a process which takes two hours per spell level. You must be capable of casting the new spell.
    Your Runic Weapon is your spellcasting focus. In addition, you may use the hand holding your Runic Weapon to perform the somatic component of spells.

Runic Recovery
    You have learned to absorb some magical energy from your runes. Once per day, you can spend 1 hour concentrating only on one of your Runic Weapons. You regain spell slot levels equal to half your runemaster level. You cannot regain a spell slot of higher level than the highest spell on that weapon using this feature, even if you normally have such slots.

Eyes of a Rune Seeker
    You have advantage on History checks directly related to the buildings and carvings of ancient cultures. You also have advantage on Perception and Investigation checks made to find runes.

2nd Level:
    Elemental Infusion
    You have learned an Infusion Rune. It takes two hours to inscribe this rune onto your Runic Weapon.
    When you make a weapon attack with the Infusion Rune'd weapon, you may expend a spell slot. For each slot level you deal 1d6 extra damage. The damage is your choice of lightning, fire, or cold.

Fighting Style
    Pick Archery, Dueling, Great Weapon, or Dual-Wielding

Bonded Weapon
    The bond between you and your Runic Weapon(s) has improved. At any time, no action required, you may shunt one of your Runic Weapons into a pocket dimension. You may, as a bonus action, summon a Runic Weapon from there into your hand, but only one at a time.

3rd Level:
    Eyes of the Runekeeper
    You can read all written languages.

Scholar of Ancient Runes
    You have focused your energy on finding the most ancient and powerful runic secrets. Choose two runes from the Ancient Runes list to add to your weapon. These runes take two hours to inscribe, unless otherwise specified.
    You become proficient in the History skill, if you aren't already. If you are, double your proficiency bonus for all History checks. You gain additional features at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Scholar of Battle Runes
    The runes you seek to master are ancient, yes, but they grant more pragmatic magic. Choose two runes from the Battle Runes list to add to your weapon. These runes take two hours to inscribe, unless otherwise specified.
    You gain proficiency in one additional martial weapon. You gain additional features at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

4th Level:
    Ability Score Improvement

6th Level:
    Highly Attuned
    You gain one extra attunement slot. This slot can only be used to attune a Runic Weapon.

Ancient Rune Scholar Feature
    -Serious Scholar
    --You have learned how to read arcane spell notation in spell books, and how to translate that into runes. If you find spell scrolls or books, you may copy those spells onto your Runic Weapon, following the inscription rules.
    -Additional Rune
    --Pick an additional Ancient Rune from the list.
    Battle Rune Scholar Feature
    -Extra Attack
    --You may attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack Action.
    -Additional Rune
    --Pick an additional Battle Rune from the list.
    Magic Weapon
    Your Runic Weapon(s) count as magical for bypassing resistance and immunity.

8th Level:

10th Level:
    -Additional Runes
    --Choose two additional runes from the Ancient Runes list.
    -Additional Runes
    --Choose two additional runes from the Battle Runes list.

11th Level:
    Power Rune
    All runes hold magical power, but some allow access to even greater power. You have discovered one such rune. Choose one 6th level spell from the runemaster spell list. This spell is your Power Rune. The Power Rune takes 12 hours to engrave onto a Runic Weapon. Once this Power Rune has been used to cast its spell, it becomes inert and regains use at dawn the next day.
    As long as your Power Rune is NOT inert, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

12th Level:

13th Level:
    Great Power Rune
    All runes hold magical power, but some allow access to even greater power. You have discovered one such rune. Choose one 7th level spell from the runemaster spell list. This spell is your Great Power Rune. The Great Power Rune takes 14 hours to engrave onto a Great Runic Weapon. Once this Great Power Rune has been used to cast its spell, it becomes inert and regains use at dawn the next day.
    As long as your Great Power Rune is NOT inert, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

14th Level:
    -Additional Runes
    --Choose two additional runes from the Ancient Runes list.
    -Additional Runes
    --Choose two additional runes from the Battle Runes list.

15th Level:
    Penultimate Rune
    All runes hold magical power, but some allow access to even greater power. You have discovered one such rune. Choose one 8th level spell from the runemaster spell list. This spell is your Penultimate Rune. The Penultimate Rune takes 16 hours to engrave onto a Penultimate Weapon. Once this Penultimate Rune has been used to cast its spell, all iterations of your Penultimate Rune become inert and regain use at dawn the next day.
    As long as your Great Power Rune is NOT inert, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

16th Level:

17th Level:
    Ultimate Rune
    All runes hold magical power, but some allow access to even greater power. You have discovered one such rune. Choose one 9th level spell from the runemaster spell list. This spell is your Ultimate Rune. The Ultimate Rune takes 18 hours to engrave onto a Ultimate Weapon. Once this Ultimate Rune has been used to cast its spell, all iterations of your Ultimate Rune become inert and regain use at dawn the next day.
    As long as your Ultimate Rune is NOT inert, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

19th Level:

Per an excellent suggestion, I will be making two Rune Lists, which will function very much like the Invocations from the Warlock.

Also the spell list. But yeah. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by SilverStud; 2016-01-12 at 08:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Runemaster Custom Class

Looks good, interesting what you've tried to do.

I'm still gathering my full feedback, but my biggest gripe right from the get go is the Runic Weapon needing to be constantly reforged. Hundreds of days and an unknown amount of gold is a huge investment to have for a class feature just so you can use spells that are unlocked as part of leveling up.

Unless I'm misreading things.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I 'spose that could be a little clearer. That is for people who want an extra Runic Weapon. Your regular additions to the Weapon just take two hours per spell level, or specified.

Also, I left the gold amount up to the DM to allow flexibility. Those who want to make a Runic Dagger shouldn't have to pay the same price as someone making a Runic Battleaxe, you know? Maybe I should specify prices by weapon type?

Looking forward to your full feedback!!
    Last edited by SilverStud; 2016-01-06 at 08:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStud View Post
    I 'spose that could be a little clearer. That is for people who want an extra Runic Weapon. Your regular additions to the Weapon just take two hours per spell level, or specified.

Also, I left the gold amount up to the DM to allow flexibility. Those who want to make a Runic Dagger shouldn't have to pay the same price as someone making a Runic Battleaxe, you know? Maybe I should specify prices by weapon type?

Looking forward to your full feedback!!
    Ah! Derp. I see exactly what you are saying - my mistake.

Is there any way you could provide a spell slot by level table? I know normal spell slots only go up to Level 5 for this class, but was just curious how many and how early. Unless you meant it follows the Wizard slot progression exactly? Also - why no cantrips?

Also, for the Power/Great Power/Penultimate runes, is that one spot for each of these? As in, one 6th, 7th and 8th level spell each per long rest? Or is it like the Warlock, where you have one spell to cast above Level 5 per long rest?

A lot of my analysis is going to be based of the spell slot availability, since you have things like the Elemental Infusion and Catalyst Strike abilities.
    Last edited by Fast Jimmy; 2016-01-06 at 09:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

1st 2 - - - - - - - -
    2nd 3 - - - - - - - -
    3rd 4 2 - - - - - - -
    4th 4 3 - - - - - - -
    5th 4 3 2 - - - - - -
    6th 4 3 3 - - - - - -
    7th 4 3 3 1 - - - - -
    8th 4 3 3 2 - - - - -
    9th 4 3 3 3 1 - - - -
    10th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    11th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    12th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    13th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    14th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    15th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    16th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    17th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    18th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    19th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    20th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    There you go! As you can see, it was exactly the same as wizard, but with no cantrips or slots above 5th level.

At the risk of being redundant, I'm adding this to the initial post.
    Last edited by SilverStud; 2016-01-07 at 12:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

1st 2 - - - - - - - -
    2nd 3 - - - - - - - -
    3rd 4 2 - - - - - - -
    4th 4 3 - - - - - - -
    5th 4 3 2 - - - - - -
    6th 4 3 3 - - - - - -
    7th 4 3 3 1 - - - - -
    8th 4 3 3 2 - - - - -
    9th 4 3 3 3 1 - - - -
    10th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    11th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    12th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    13th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    14th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    15th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    16th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    17th 4 3 3 3 2 - - - -
    18th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    19th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    20th 4 3 3 3 3 - - - -
    There you go! As you can see, it was exactly the same as wizard, but with no cantrips or slots above 5th level.

At the risk of being redundant, I'm adding this to the initial post.
    Perfect! Thanks.

Also, was I correct in my understanding of the higher level rune abilities - one per spell level, not just one spell that can be used for a higher spell level?

It's basically the difference between the Warlock's one spell limit versus basically having one spell slot for each spell level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Let me start off by saying that I love this class's fluff; I would so play one of these.

Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per runemaster level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Con
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8(or 5) plus your Con per runemaster level
    This is alright. Considering their emphasis on weapon combat, might wish to consider bumping to a d10? Just a thought; I think it's mostly fine.

Starting Proficiencies
    Armor: light, medium, OR heavy armor
    Weapons: three simple and three martial weapons of your choice
    Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Athletics, Nature
    I'm concerned about giving them heavy armor. I feel like that's a bit too much; a nearly-full caster in heavy? I'm leaning towards only giving them light and medium.
    As for Weapons, I think it should be all Simple and 3 martial. Every class except for Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard have simple weapon proficiency. Even Warlock has it. The main reason that those 3 classes don't have it stems from their use (some would say reliance) on cantrips. Your class doesn't have cantrips, so it should have another reliable option for combat, i.e. weapons.

Spellcasting
    Studying runes confers upon you magical ability. Runes are quite concise, and a Runic Weapon will have plenty of room for your spells, growing more and more covered in symbols as your repertoire expands. You choose spells from the runeseeker spell list (list not made yet).
    I'm interested to see what spells you give them.

Runic Weapon
    When you choose this class, you gain a Runic Weapon, already engraved with six spells from the runemaster list. This weapon functions as a spellbook as well as a weapon. To prepare spells from your Runic Weapon and to benefit from any passive effects, you must be attuned to it.
    You can create another Runic Weapon. It must be created from scratch, as magic must be infused from the beginning. This is a lengthy process, even though magic speeds up the physical side considerably: 720 hours of work, done in three phases of 240, no less than six hours each day. A 240-hour phase must be completed in an unbroken string of days, but you may pause indefinitely between phases. You must also pay a cost in gold determined by your DM, to pay for special materials.
    Each level you may add one spell to your runic weapon, a process which takes two hours per spell level. You must be capable of casting the new spell.
    Your Runic Weapon is your spellcasting focus. In addition, you may use the hand holding your Runic Weapon to perform the somatic component of spells.
    Most of this works for me. I feel like the hours may be a bit on the longside; you're talking about 30 days' worth of work if it were non-stop. At 720 hours, six hours each, we're in the realm of 120 days of labor, which is 4 months. Additionally, the rules for crafting (sparse as they are) mention that crafting normally happens in 8-hour increments. If you switch to that, we go from 120 days (4 months) to 90 days (3 months). That's not as bad, but it's still a whole lot of time to work on a single item, with no known gold cost.
    Also, how many Runic Weapons can you have at once? If you give your runic weapon to your allies, can they cast the spells engraved on the weapon?

Runic Recovery
    You have learned to absorb some magical energy from your runes. Once per day, you can spend 1 hour concentrating only on one of your Runic Weapons. You regain spell slot levels equal to half your runemaster level. You cannot regain a spell slot of higher level than the highest spell on that weapon using this feature, even if you normally have such slots.
    This is the same as the Wizard feature, so I have no problem with it.

Eyes of a Rune Seeker
    You have advantage on History checks directly related to the buildings and carvings of ancient cultures. You also have advantage on Perception and Investigation checks made to find runes.
    This seems a little specific, but I suppose it's not that bad. I would maybe argue this fluff is grounds for an additional language, perhaps instead of the advantage?

2nd Level:
    Elemental Infusion
    You have learned an Infusion Rune. It takes two hours to inscribe this rune onto your Runic Weapon.
    When you make a weapon attack with the Infusion Rune'd weapon, you may expend a spell slot. For each slot level you deal 1d6 extra damage. The damage is your choice of lightning, fire, or cold.
    This is a lesser smite, which is okay, but it's a dramatically lesser. Your class has more spells so it's more available than a Paladin's Smite, but it's still just so much weaker, especially given that most spells you would cast, even at 1st level, do more than d6 damage. Even most cantrips do more than d6. Maybe boost to a d10 or 2d6? I honestly could even see making it 2d8. But if you make it 2d8, you should make it so that during each long rest, you choose an elemental type, and it stays that type until you change it again, instead of allowing them to decide every time.

3rd Level:
    Eyes of the Runekeeper
    You can read all written languages.
    LOVE this.

Scholar of Ancient Runes
    You have focused your energy on finding the most ancient and powerful runic secrets.
    You become proficient in the History skill, if you aren't already. If you are, double your proficiency bonus for all History checks. You gain additional features at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
    Also interested to see where this goes. Though they should certainly have something combat related. Not sure exactly what, but they definitely need a combat feature a 3rd.

Scholar of Battle Runes
    The runes you seek to master are ancient, yes, but they grant more pragmatic magic. Choose one of the following runes to add to your weapon. The rune you choose takes two hours to inscribe.
    You gain additional features at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
    This seems fine, depending on the runes available.

Bonded Weapon
    The bond between you and your Runic Weapon(s) has improved. When your weapon(s) is removed from your possession, you may choose to shunt it into a pocket dimension. You may, as an action, summon a Runic Weapon from there into your hand, but only one at a time.
    Make this a 1st level feature. Maybe 2nd. It's so situational that it will barely ever come up; it's not powerful enough to warrant being a 4th level feature. Also, it should be a bonus action.

5th Level:
    Extra Attack
    You may attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack Action.
    I don't know where exactly you're going with the subclasses, but based on the name, I would say this should be a 6th level feature of the Battle Rune Scholar. I don't know what you would replace this feature with, though it is okay to leave a level or two blank in a class, especially since you're gaining access to 3rd level spells at 5th, which is a significant power boost in its own right.

6th Level:
    Highly Attuned
    You gain one extra attunement slot. This slot can only be used to attune a Runic Weapon.

Magic Weapon
    Your Runic Weapon(s) count as magical for bypassing resistance and immunity.
    This is perfect. Don't change this.

11th Level:
    Power Rune
    All runes hold magical power, but some allow access to even greater power. You have discovered one such rune. Choose one 6th level spell from the runemaster spell list. This spell is your Power Rune. The Power Rune takes 12 hours to engrave onto a Runic Weapon. Once this Power Rune has been used to cast its spell, it becomes inert and regains use at dawn the next day.
    As long as your Power Rune is NOT inert, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
    This is interesting, but I have a concern that applies to all the Power and Penultimate and Ultimate runes. If you engrave all of these runes onto a single weapon, does that weapon increase it's to-hit and damage each time, so that by 17th level you have a +4 weapon?
    Also, what happens if something happens to your Runic Weapon? If you make a new one, can you engrave this rune on it? Or is it a single one-time rune?

14th Level:
    Catalyst Strike
    When you hit a creature with your Runic Weapon, you may, as a bonus action, cast any one of your prepared spells that has a casting time of one action, until the end of your turn. The target of the spell, if it has one, must either target the creature you hit with the weapon or something within 10 feet of you.
    I'm uncertain how I feel about this. It's a very strong ability, but it's fundamentally the same as the Eldritch Knight's Improved War Magic, which is an 18th level feature. I would again suggest that you consider replacing this feature with something else and giving it to the Battle Rune Scholar as their capstone ability.

17th Level:
    Penultimate Rune
    All runes hold magical power, but some allow access to even greater power. You have discovered one such rune. Choose one 9th level spell from the runemaster spell list. This spell is your Ultimate Rune. The Ultimate Rune takes 18 hours to engrave onto a Ultimate Weapon. Once this Ultimate Rune has been used to cast its spell, all iterations of your Ultimate Rune become inert and regain use at dawn the next day.
    You have a typo for the name of this ability. Should be "Ultimate Rune."

That's as far as I've gotten. The main gaps in here are the archetypes and the level 20 feature.
    Don't forget ASI at 19th level.

My plan for the Scholar of Ancient Runes is to have each feature be a choice of extra spells not on the spell list. Like maybe Cure Wounds or something. For Scholar of Battle Runes, I'm planning on each feature being a choice of extra rune/weapon related abilities
    You could consider making a "Rune List" that would function similar to Invocations, and each Rune on the list would be either Ancient Runes or Battle Runes, with little-to-no-overlap. And the nature of the lists themselves would offer some differentiation between subtypes. Also, give Battle Runes Extra Attack.

like the Way of the Four Elements monk.
    This is not a subclass you want to emulate.

All in all, it looks like a promising class.
    Last edited by WarrentheHero; 2016-01-07 at 03:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Starting Proficiencies
    Armor: light, medium, OR heavy armor
    Weapons: three simple and three martial weapons of your choice
    I'm concerned about giving them heavy armor. I feel like that's a bit too much; a nearly-full caster in heavy? I'm leaning towards only giving them light and medium.
    As for Weapons, I think it should be all Simple and 3 martial. Every class except for Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard have simple weapon proficiency. Even Warlock has it. The main reason that those 3 classes don't have it stems from their use (some would say reliance) on cantrips. Your class doesn't have cantrips, so it should have another reliable option for combat, i.e. weapons.
    I can see what you're saying. It makes sense to me. Personally I hate heavy armor, so it doesn't seem like a great boon to me, but on the other hand...
    Also, I 'spose it couldn't hurt to give them ALL the simple weapons. They are just knives and sticks after all. Especially in light of your point about no cantrips. I'm really glad you saw what I was doing by taking those away, by the way.

Most of this works for me. I feel like the hours may be a bit on the longside; you're talking about 30 days' worth of work if it were non-stop. At 720 hours, six hours each, we're in the realm of 120 days of labor, which is 4 months. Additionally, the rules for crafting (sparse as they are) mention that crafting normally happens in 8-hour increments. If you switch to that, we go from 120 days (4 months) to 90 days (3 months). That's not as bad, but it's still a whole lot of time to work on a single item, with no known gold cost.
    So the six hours per day thing is a minimum, allowing them the possibility of doing something else with their workday if they need to. I based the hours on an 8-hour day. Also, it takes a long time for the optional magic-item crafting rules in the DMG.
    You have to attune your runic weapons to use them, and you can only engrave spells you know, so it's pointless to have more than three, four once you get your extra attunement slot. But then you won't be able to use your cool rings and capes and boots you find during adventures.

Also, how many Runic Weapons can you have at once? If you give your runic weapon to your allies, can they cast the spells engraved on the weapon?
    If your ally was a runemaster, maybe.

Even most cantrips do more than d6. Maybe boost to a d10 or 2d6?
    We'll try 2d6. I had forgotten about Smite.

Make this a 1st level feature. Maybe 2nd. It's so situational that it will barely ever come up; it's not powerful enough to warrant being a 4th level feature. Also, it should be a bonus action.
    Hmmm I definitely need to change that. The way it works in my head is NOT the way it's written, on second reading. When I'm done posting this, I'll edit the original post.

This is interesting, but I have a concern that applies to all the Power and Penultimate and Ultimate runes. If you engrave all of these runes onto a single weapon, does that weapon increase it's to-hit and damage each time, so that by 17th level you have a +4 weapon?
    Also, what happens if something happens to your Runic Weapon? If you make a new one, can you engrave this rune on it? Or is it a single one-time rune?
    THIS is something I've been agonizing over. The answer at the moment is yes. I saw the massive OP-ness, and tried to mitigate it by making is so the +1 is lost once you cast the spell. I want the runic weapons to gain to-hit bonuses, so that the runic weapon isn't reduced to a sharp spellbook as soon as a +2 legendary sword is found, you know? How do you think I should approach this?

You could consider making a "Rune List" that would function similar to Invocations, and each Rune on the list would be either Ancient Runes or Battle Runes, with little-to-no-overlap. And the nature of the lists themselves would offer some differentiation between subtypes. Also, give Battle Runes Extra Attack.
    I LOVE this idea. I think I'll make such a list. It'll work better than the half-baked ideas in my head.

Fast Jimmy:
    Also, was I correct in my understanding of the higher level rune abilities - one per spell level, not just one spell that can be used for a higher spell level?
    I see the Power(etc) Runes as a reskin of Mystic Arcanum, with a couple exceptions. The Power and Great Power Runes, if etched onto multiple weapons, go inert one at a time, as used. Basically like 6th/7th level spell slots. I hope that makes sense...

EDIT: I changed the initial post. It should be an improvement!
    Last edited by SilverStud; 2016-01-12 at 06:08 PM.