Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 76
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    I hate the idea of giving him an ultimatum, but after all the hard work that I put into setting up our gaming sessions, it's frustrating that this player can't even try to stay awake.

    Everyone else pays full attention to the game, and is likewise annoyed by this somewhat disrespectful behavior.

    I'm starting to consider giving him the boot but I hate that idea, especially since I've got a whole plot related event planned for each of my players' characters, including his. I don't want to rewrite things just to account for his absence. I also think kicking him out would be an unpopular move on my part.

    I have spoken with him about this and he says that he lets himself fall asleep when his character isn't directly involved in events. He said he has not been getting sleep, the room was hot, etc. When I offered a solution to the last problem, he said he'd "try" to stay awake.

    Now the thing is, last session I was: exhausted from work, sleep deprived, and mildly drunk(con's my dump stat irl ^_^). And I still managed to run a game and keep everyone else interested.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-01-22 at 08:20 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    You can only engage players to a point. If he's actually falling asleep, you're wasting your effort on him. Prep stuff for the other players. If he happens to play, great. If he doesn't, no sweat off your back. Punting him works but it's not your only option.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    I hate the idea of giving him an ultimatum, but after all the hard work that I put into setting up our gaming sessions, it's frustrating that this player can't even try to stay awake.

    Everyone else pays full attention to the game, and is likewise annoyed by this somewhat disrespectful behavior.

    I'm starting to consider giving him the boot but I hate that idea, especially since I've got a whole plot related event planned for each of my players' characters, including his. I don't want to rewrite things just to account for his absence. I also think kicking him out would be an unpopular move on my part.

    I have spoken with him about this and he says that he lets himself fall asleep when his character isn't directly involved in events. He said he has not been getting sleep, the room was hot, etc. When I offered a solution to the last problem, he said he'd "try" to stay awake.

    Now the thing is, last session I was: exhausted from work, sleep deprived, and mildly drunk(con's my dump stat irl ^_^). And I still managed to run a game and keep everyone else interested.
    I'd probably kick him, I mean that's seriously disrespectful unless he has a legitimate medical problem. That is really disrespectful.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    What if I started giving his experience points to the other players if he falls asleep during an adventure?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Give him the ultimatum. Your time and fun is worth just as much as his, and he obviously isn't actually interested in playing a group-oriented game since he goes to sleep regularly when he isn't directly involved. That's rude and insulting and if it were me he'd already be uninvited.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    He's choosing to do it... buh-bye, don't let the door hit your backside on the way out you rude inconsiderate so-and-so.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    G.Cube's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    You can only engage players to a point. If he's actually falling asleep, you're wasting your effort on him. Prep stuff for the other players. If he happens to play, great. If he doesn't, no sweat off your back. Punting him works but it's not your only option.
    This. I'm not sure what time your group usually meets, but when I first began my group met at like 11:00pm and ran somewhere between 3:00 and 6:00 am. I, being a morning person, fell asleep often during our first few months of gaming. They simply played on without me, and didn't worry about it, if I missed out, I missed out. Had they booted me, I would have missed out on the best group of friends I have ever had the pleasure of knowing so far in life.

    Semi-related, our usual DM's girlfriend is a diabetic, and it's not uncommon for her to, whilst battling her blood-sugar levels, fall asleep during sessions. We've never hassled her and, to the extent of my knowledge, have never been offended by this.

    Now, your friend may have no medical conditions excusing his behavior, and maybe you play during the day, but honestly, if he's making the effort to still come out and play when he is obviously struggling to get a healthy amount of rest, you should feel special and well-liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

    Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Cube View Post
    This. I'm not sure what time your group usually meets, but when I first began my group met at like 11:00pm and ran somewhere between 3:00 and 6:00 am. I, being a morning person, fell asleep often during our first few months of gaming. They simply played on without me, and didn't worry about it, if I missed out, I missed out. Had they booted me, I would have missed out on the best group of friends I have ever had the pleasure of knowing so far in life.

    Semi-related, our usual DM's girlfriend is a diabetic, and it's not uncommon for her to, whilst battling her blood-sugar levels, fall asleep during sessions. We've never hassled her and, to the extent of my knowledge, have never been offended by this.

    Now, your friend may have no medical conditions excusing his behavior, and maybe you play during the day, but honestly, if he's making the effort to still come out and play when he is obviously struggling to get a healthy amount of rest, you should feel special and well-liked.
    Actually to my thinking if he is so sleepy that he can't stay awake, he either needs to make more of an effort (and that's a thing, I know that you can force yourself to stay awake). Or he needs to get home and rest. It's simply not appropriate to bring that to a group environment.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    I'd be less worried about the rudeness (though it is rude, don't get me wrong) and more about the fact that my friend is apparently having a hard enough time that he can't stay awake. That sounds less like "I'm not engaged" and more like "I'm having sleep/health/life issues." Is he OK?
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2014-01-22 at 09:51 PM.

    STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

    Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I'd be less worried about the rudeness (though it is rude, don't get me wrong) and more about the fact that my friend is apparently having a hard enough time that he can't stay awake. That sounds less like "I'm not engaged" and more like "I'm having sleep/health/life issues." Is he OK?
    Definitely take a look at this. The reason that I would respond harshly is that I knew a kid who fell asleep in a game once claiming he only got enough sleep for 4 hours of work and had to work 8. Which may be a little bit problematic, but the parts of me that had been a sleep deprived Marine really wanted to punch him, because that's really rude, not to mention extremely dangerous to himself and to others (if he's driving).
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    ... this somewhat disrespectful behavior.
    It can't be disrespectful unless it's done on purpose. Can you fall asleep on cue?

    He can't stay awake. That is a fact. Not a show of disrespect, nor a rude behavior. Merely an observed fact.

    Live with it. Plan to work around the character when possible, but short of using sharp needles, you can't stop him from falling asleep.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    It can't be disrespectful unless it's done on purpose. Can you fall asleep on cue?

    He can't stay awake. That is a fact. Not a show of disrespect, nor a rude behavior. Merely an observed fact.

    Live with it. Plan to work around the character when possible, but short of using sharp needles, you can't stop him from falling asleep.
    But he can stop himself from falling asleep unless there is a genuine medical proble, and if he is that tired he should be at home sleeping and not attend, politely declining, that would be the polite course of action. Just because something is an observed fact does not make it acceptable behavior, and not regulating my biological impulses in a social setting is a problem. You can't fall asleep where ever you want, in the same way I can't urinate wherever I want (admittedly that's worse socially, but it's the concept).
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    I have had real problems staying awake sometimes in school. The only thing I've found that keeps me awake us eating, preferably fruits and veggies. Carrots are great because they are cheap and not filling. Its annoying and loud, but my professor said he preferred crunching to snoring. If your player is willing to try something different to help himself and the rest of you enjoy the game, try to accomodate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by madtinker View Post
    I have had real problems staying awake sometimes in school. The only thing I've found that keeps me awake us eating, preferably fruits and veggies. Carrots are great because they are cheap and not filling. Its annoying and loud, but my professor said he preferred crunching to snoring. If your player is willing to try something different to help himself and the rest of you enjoy the game, try to accomodate him.
    Caffeine gum also works amazingly, it's nasty addictive though.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Caffeine gum also works amazingly, it's nasty addictive though.
    Okay, so have we gotten to the point where we're recommending addictive substances to help someone work around (not even SOLVE) what is, pretty much, a life/work/health problem?

    If so, we should seriously consider our priorities.

    I think you should nicely "excuse" him from the game; "Look; If you can't stay awake, obviously you're exhausted when you get here. If you're that falling down tired, you should be home in bed, not trying to game with us. Go home and get some rest, and when you've sorted out whatever's got you so run down, come back and play."

    We're not all ex-marines and we don't need to look down on someone for not being able to stay awake. As has already been stated, this goes rather beyond "this guy isn't adequately engaged"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Airk View Post
    Okay, so have we gotten to the point where we're recommending addictive substances to help someone work around (not even SOLVE) what is, pretty much, a life/work/health problem?
    Recommending caffeine? That's pretty standard student/military/everyfreakingbody stuff. Most people are just fine with caffeine and if he wants to participate but can't stay awake that could fix his methodology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Airk View Post
    If so, we should seriously consider our priorities.

    I think you should nicely "excuse" him from the game; "Look; If you can't stay awake, obviously you're exhausted when you get here. If you're that falling down tired, you should be home in bed, not trying to game with us. Go home and get some rest, and when you've sorted out whatever's got you so run down, come back and play."

    We're not all ex-marines and we don't need to look down on someone for not being able to stay awake. As has already been stated, this goes rather beyond "this guy isn't adequately engaged"
    So why is the caffeine a bad suggestion, a cup of coffee works too, but it's not as quick and it doesn't involve chewing, which is why caffeine gum is superior. I was providing a suggestion for if they wanted to keep the player, which would not be my recommendation.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Knaight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    So why is the caffeine a bad suggestion, a cup of coffee works too, but it's not as quick and it doesn't involve chewing, which is why caffeine gum is superior. I was providing a suggestion for if they wanted to keep the player, which would not be my recommendation.
    The issue with the caffeine gum is it is - in your words - "nasty addictive".
    Last edited by Knaight; 2014-01-23 at 01:09 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

    I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

    Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The issue with the caffeine gum is it is - in your words - "nasty addictive".
    Slightly more so than coffee. It's just caffeine, the other alternative would be chewing coffee grounds, which is less palatable but the same effectiveness, or just having a cup of coffee would work for the same thing. This is of course supposing that the player has no medical problems and wants to participate.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    He told me that monster might help... perhaps there are ways i can set up the gaming room so that it is not as easy to fall asleep? Only thing is I don't want it to be uncomfortable in there, no reason to make everyone else suffer so that's easier for this one player to stay awake.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    He told me that monster might help... perhaps there are ways i can set up the gaming room so that it is not as easy to fall asleep? Only thing is I don't want it to be uncomfortable in there, no reason to make everyone else suffer so that's easier for this one player to stay awake.
    Monster will definitely help, it's got a really hard crash though that coffee and coffee doesn't really have the same way, so he'd have to keep consuming it the whole time. You could also give him a hardbacked chair, or a bar stool, that will totally help fix the problem, it's very hard to fall asleep on a bar stool.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Denmark

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    How long are your sessions? Is it 12 hour marathons, or just a couple of hours?
    The average human can only focus for so long without breaks.

    An option is the old "you snooze, you loose". Don't wake him. Don't recap what has happened. And do give out xp, if he doesn't hear it, he doesn't gain it.
    A bit more positive spin on this could be, that if he wakes and hears his friends have been having fun without him, and he missed out, he might be inclined to stay awake to be part of the group.
    English is my second language, but I will be more than happy to explain myself in Danish.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Most of our games officially start at 6 and end at 10, since one of us is still in high school. On Saturday sometimes till 12. In both cases, we break for dinner and last time didn't return until an hour later.

    Side note:
    Incidentally, any ideas for things this vegetarian might be able to do for his primarily omnivorous group? I'm kind of a terrible cook and I think we're all gettin sick of pizza! ^_^
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-01-23 at 01:52 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Most of our games officially start at 6 and end at 10, since one of us is still in high school. On Saturday sometimes till 12. In both cases, we break for dinner and last time didn't return until an hour later.

    Side note:
    Incidentally, any ideas for things this vegetarian might be able to do for his primarily omnivorous group? I'm kind of a terrible cook! ^_^
    Celery and peanut butter is an excellent snacking choice, and good for the whole wakefulness thing. A tad noisy though.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Knaight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Incidentally, any ideas for things this vegetarian might be able to do for his primarily omnivorous group? I'm kind of a terrible cook and I think we're all gettin sick of pizza! ^_^
    You can basically use anything you eat. It's not like people who eat meat need it for every single meal.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

    I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

    Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    You can basically use anything you eat. It's not like people who eat meat need it for every single meal.
    Heh, down here that's considered blasphemy by most people. :P

    Noted: Monster or coffee, anti-sleep seating arrangement, possibly keeping the room cooler? See if he can get a better sleep schedule...
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-01-23 at 02:28 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krazzman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Aachen, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    So he is the only Vegetarian in your group?

    Is he a real Vegetarian or a slacker? (This influences the answer somewhat as I've seen some so calle Vegetarians eat chicken or fish... god damn hypocrites.)
    As such he might not be able to drink an Energy drink without betraying his ideals.

    Else I have to advise for tea. Or better said a special sort of Tea. Mate.
    Here in Germany we have some "lemonades" one brand is called Club Mate. It basically has more coffein than coffee. But it is an aquired taste.
    Then there is also Fritz Kola (or Fritz Cola) a Lemonade Brand from Hamburg which is both VEGAN and full of coffein.

    Also I would say it depends of when does he sleep?
    After the eating break? This might be something we call Food-Coma.
    In our group... we have one player that recently had a baby and as such we don't meet atm as she is unable to play at around 18:00 (the same time we would probably start playing).
    In my SR game (long long time ago) we met at around 19:00 had food and then played till 6:00 where everyone got into the bus and left. It was hard but worth it. I fell asleep maybe three times. It just happened at around 4:00.

    Also if he is always tired maybe he just eats the wrong things. Many vegetarians do this. I've met one Vegan that had many insufficients after one year mainly because he mostly ate fries. To compare it to a 10 year vegan without any insufficients.
    Last edited by Krazzman; 2014-01-23 at 04:23 AM.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Have you tried amphetamine? I'm pretty sure it would help.

    My coca cola addiction started because I was playing computer games half the night and wanted to be alert during roleplaying sessions. I did occassionly sleep at school though, not sure that was better...

    The best cure for sleep problems is actual sleep. If that's not possible then you have to look towards various substances. Caffein is the most common choice, and you can find it in pill format as well if you dislike the taste of the various drinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Side note:
    Incidentally, any ideas for things this vegetarian might be able to do for his primarily omnivorous group? I'm kind of a terrible cook and I think we're all gettin sick of pizza! ^_^
    Is the OP referring to the sleeping player, or to himself? Who is the vegetarian?

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Below sea level
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    On the sleeping thing: During those hours a normal healthy person should be able to stay awake. So my guess is that there is an underlying medical reason.

    Now the solution to this problem is the follwing: talk to him/her. that's it. say you feel hurt in the fact that he sleeps during adventure you prepared for with time and effort. Then ask him how his personal/professional life is going. When people experience stress, fatigue is one of the first symptoms to show up. Fallign asleep between 6 and 10/12 is a sign he is obvioulsy fatigued. which could lead to stress. So asking him how he is (and be sure to ask further then "fine" by asking for notable cool or bad moments). If that still doesn't work, try getting him to a doctor for a check-up. this might be serious.

    As for your problem: google samosa's. they are made with frogpeas, peas and potatoes in pastrydough and are filling and nourishing. You could make yourself some mushrooms on the side (to get those nice proteins) and you could make meatballs on the side for the meat eaters. I have lived with a couple of vegetarians for a couple of years and both meat eaters and vegetarians saw no problem preparing something special (i.e. meat for meat eaters and non-meat for vegetarians) for either group. I mean, I assume that if they take care of the food that they account for you being a vegetarian, why not repay in kind .

    Other options include curries or vegetable dishes with seperate peices of meat/tofu/whatever everyone wants.

    Good luck!
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

    Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

    First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: One of my players keeps falling asleep during game.

    Does the fact that he sleeps really detrimental to the game? Iíve had fellow players falling asleep nearly every session for a whole campaign. We certainly found it more funny than offensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Now the thing is, last session I was: exhausted from work, sleep deprived, and mildly drunk(con's my dump stat irl ^_^). And I still managed to run a game and keep everyone else interested.
    Running a game and playing a game are very different things. When you run a game, youíre nearly constantly engaged; when you play a game, you can easily go a few minutes without being involved; thatís more than enough to get you drifting. That in turn makes you not engage and, before long, youíre sleeping.

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    What if I started giving his experience points to the other players if he falls asleep during an adventure?
    I highly doubt it will prevent him from falling asleep; however, I think it can be detrimental to him as a player in the long run. Sounds like a bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Actually to my thinking if he is so sleepy that he can't stay awake, he either needs to make more of an effort (and that's a thing, I know that you can force yourself to stay awake). Or he needs to get home and rest. It's simply not appropriate to bring that to a group environment.
    I believe that him coming and playing, but drifting at some point is still better than him not playing at all. Hey, the guy is likely tired at least a little bit and joins you for a social activity. Youíve got to appreciate that.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Definitely take a look at this. The reason that I would respond harshly is that I knew a kid who fell asleep in a game once claiming he only got enough sleep for 4 hours of work and had to work 8. Which may be a little bit problematic, but the parts of me that had been a sleep deprived Marine really wanted to punch him, because that's really rude, not to mention extremely dangerous to himself and to others (if he's driving).
    Thatís quite a stretch. Being tired enough to fall a sleep at a gaming table has nothing in common with being tired enough to fall asleep while driving without realising it and stopping the car.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    But he can stop himself from falling asleep unless there is a genuine medical proble, and if he is that tired he should be at home sleeping and not attend, politely declining, that would be the polite course of action. Just because something is an observed fact does not make it acceptable behavior, and not regulating my biological impulses in a social setting is a problem. You can't fall asleep where ever you want, in the same way I can't urinate wherever I want (admittedly that's worse socially, but it's the concept).
    HumÖ how do you stop oneself to fall asleep? And, in this particular situation, is it that needed?
    Last edited by Rondodu; 2014-01-23 at 07:22 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •