New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Favorite stunting rules?

So, out of games that involve stunts (exalted, savage worlds, ect), which do you personally think is best?

I personally like flying swordsmen's take on it. You choose a stunt at the start of each combat round and an appropriate stunt die to go with it, and add the stunt's die's bonus to various actions. (such as adding it to damage for strength). This ensures you're going to be coming up with another insane wire-fu stunt every round.

I still think the homebrew "RaisiRaising the Stakes: Drama Rules for Action Fantasy Campaigns" has the best take on it. Players offer a stake (E.X "I Jump-kick the orc off a mountaintop if I hit, and I fall off the mountain myself if I miss) and the D.M decides whether that's an acceptable wager. If yes, you roll as normal with result determined by the wager. Very flexible and very simple.

What are your thoughts?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite stunting rules?

Of the games I've played, I like Exalted's approach: Describe what you're doing in a cool way, get extra dice.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Wushu Open is a classic: you get dice for describing your character doing things! ("I block them with my sword" is worth one die, while "I still myself to sense their approach, / drop to the ground in an instant, / spring off of the ground with explosive force, / and punch them through the wall!" is worth four. One for each distinct detail of action.)

I also like how Marvel Heroic adds stunts: you can spend a Plot Point to get an extra die for your roll, and if you tie your action into one of your character's traits, specifically, you get to make that die bigger.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Of the games I've played, I like Exalted's approach: Describe what you're doing in a cool way, get extra dice.
    Very GM dependent, though I suppose any stunting system is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Very GM dependent, though I suppose any stunting system is.
    There are some fairly objective guidelines in place for it. With only the final tier being subjective.

1 Dice: Describe the action beyond "I attack X with my sword".

2 Dice: Use the environment in the description of the action.

3 Dice: Reserved for when general agreement of the table is that the action is really, really awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing