A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Lucifer Effect [3.5e] [IC]

The Lucifer Effect

Good, Turning to Evil...

The finger of corruption drags its nail across the land, as good people turn bad... and the bad people... turn worse... Well... Most..

Its been 10 years since the corruption began, nearly all of the paladins have fallen, blackguards roam the lands, keeping civilization in a rut,

Lands where happiness and freedom were vast, little remain, Where children go to jail for having fun, and joy is a sin. The world needs heroes, and the only heroes that remain, have only a big heart, and lack in big muscles.

And where shall we find our heroes?

In the most unlikely of places...

Deathgrave, The city of First Corruption.

Spoiler: Deathgrave
    Show
    Located in the south center of the continent, Deathgrave was once known as Veilstrum. A beautiful city full of lucious trees, parks, families, plenty a kind folk, fountains, and clean streets. Now the darkest of places... The streets are blackened with soot from the fires of Veilstrum, The entire city burned to the ground, only to be rebuilt with the ashes of its origin. The city walls are also stained with soot, and a redish tint, only from the blood of those who tried to escape. The city has a thick haze from the steam factory located on the shoreline, off limits to people, and the streets are guarded by Blackguard. Powerful, Life draining warriors. Most of them are undead, mindless, and order followers, but some still have a lifeforce about them. The once grand fountain in the center now spurts a pungent, green fluid, rather than the crisp waters that flowed before. The people, while still the same as before... all look as if they do not belong. Surrounded by undead, used often as slaves and free labor for the most evil of villians. The Smithy to the north, an undead skeletal beast of a man, clings at his anvil with his hammer. The tavern, dead center of the city, ran by a powerful Succubi herself, Shops ran by various Ogres and Trolls, The city runs chaotic, unable to resist the heart of evil that dwells within.

And Finally, Castle Deathgrave, Ran by a beast of a man that noone has seen and returned alive... Some say he has 14 heads, Some say he spits acid, Some say he can sneeze a city into pieces, None really know... For he never shows himself, Or noone has ever seen him enter or leave the Castle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heroes, I give you this opportunity now to choose your own start. You may be with anyone, doing anything you'd like, You will all be brought together soon enough. For now? Take a bit of time.. explore your character, get into the mood of playing them, I've started every campaign on here in a very restrictive environment, and this one I will be doing a little differently... So, Without Further Adeu, Explore your characters a bit.
    Last edited by Crestfallen; 2014-01-23 at 06:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Crest's just-awesome Club.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    I think Crestfallen has demonstrated that she is an epic swordsage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    You are wonderful and deserve a personal unicorn to carry you everywhere you want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post
    Crest, stop getting me interested in your games!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Lucifer Effect [3.5e] [IC]

"..." Hedratis vibrated sadly. Every time he tried to ask for directions from one of the guardsmen in the fancy black armor, they would scream and attack him. Their armor looked much shinier after he dissolved the black paint, but it still didn't help him.

"There's got to be a hero around here somewhere I can be a minion to..."
    it thought. "I can't leave the town, as it took months of wandering till I managed to find this one!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I only have Blindsight, and I'm betting the roads next to the city aren't in very good condition. A+B=Cube missing a road by a few feet.
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2014-01-23 at 07:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The town was too silent. Too dark. Too filthy. Too dreary. Too... Dead.

It was unsettling to be unable to sense them, Malus thought as his boots cut a swath through the layer of soot lying atop the street. He could look in any direction and see them. They looked back. They mocked him. But few here could understand what that meant. Few were still... alive. Too few. Too precious few.

That was why he kept his mind trained, his senses sharp. The very aether of existence waited to protect him from those... things. Call it paranoia, or what have you. It gave him comfort.

Show
    Malus doesn't like things that are outside his ability to control.

4. - Top - End - #4

An explosion rocks the city streets of the south-eastern quarter.

"Well how in the hells was I supposed to know that!"

A tiny figure, a dumpy gnome female is the one shouting. She sits on the shoulders of a larger yet hunched figure that seems to be quietly straining to bear the weight. Around the figures feet swarms hundreds of spiders over the cobblestones, but the figure pays them no mind.

The recipient of her curses, and also apparently the source of the explosion, is one shaking human wizard. He takes a deep breath, and starts to chant another spell, pointing his finger at the gnome.

"Wait, Jozek! Can't we talk about thi- right, let's get out of here!"

She raps her knuckles on the head of the figure - perhaps unnecessarily forcefully, but the figure doesn't comment - and they begin to move just as a scorching ray of fire explodes from the wizard's shaking fingertip and burns a hole in the wall behind them.

As the figure picks up speed, the gnome turns around and yells back at the wizard, and the rest of the figures picking themselves up from the now-ruined building; "Stupid insect worshippers, I was just trying to cheer you up!"

Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

5. - Top - End - #5

"Eh, you're just too used to the countryside. A little city air'll change your tunes."

Will had said these words when they'd started for Deathgrave. He knew because his traveling companions had been sarcastically repeating them at him for the last hour or three. They'd ignored his reasoning that it wouldn't be a problem if they'd just ditched lycanthropy like he kept telling them. Then, around the time he could smell the place, he shut up about it.

Still, complaining or not, they hadn't stopped tagging along. Nor lost their curiosity. Jezette was fond of her lifestyle, but open to alternatives -- especially if they gave her a lot more loot to amass and ass to kick. Korin was keen on something more sophisticated, but, while warming to the idea, he said of professional adventuring, "I see the logic, but I don't feel the logic." Will had shared their pack for a year or so, and the younger couple had recently decided to leave it behind and bumped into him. With no real game plan themselves, they'd decided to follow along for a while. His spiel hadn't been enough for them to go out and get their curses removed -- nor arrange for new mystery curses -- but they were up for some kind of change. Will at least had an interesting direction in mind. They were waiting to be surprised.

And surprised they are. At how much of a dump the city is in spite of the preview their noses gave them. Will concedes (to himself) that he might have done the least bit of research and picked somewhere else, but too late for that now! "Alright! Deathgrave. It... sure is something. Doesn't look like anything I've ever seen!"
    "Then I guess you never looked back at all the settlements we burned down," Jezette frowns, mentally tabulating the cost-benefit ratio of various marks. She keeps her hands to herself. For now.
    "Yeah," Korin agrees from behind a handkerchief. "Seriously, Will, this is really... the opposite of upscale." Ever the naive optimist, he cheerfully asks a local if any dark masters seek an apprentice.

Will rolls his eyes and puts his Bluff skill to good use. "Pfft. It's not that bad." He starts off. "C'mon, let's take a look around. Might find something amazing." He catches the looks he's getting. He chooses to aim lower for them. "Or at least get a drink." He could use one, anyway.
    Last edited by Gaius; 2014-01-24 at 12:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Not far in front of Malus, a small bag sits, lonely, seemingly abandoned by it's owner. It appears empty, just another bit of debris lying in the street.

However, after Malus's eyes pass it by once as insignificant, it starts moving, as though something alive is inside.

Spoiler: If Malus approaches
    Show

As Malus gets closer, he can hear the bag making a sound, A soft, sobbing sound, as though whatever is inside has lost everything that it cares about.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

Eilyra Dlardrageth, Planescape, Center of All
    Violet, A Faerie Affair
    Illaria Stormwind, Expeditionary Travelers
    Adeya Uweya, Crash Landed

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Bartholomew has just finished examining a client's prospective evil lair.

"Well, Mr. Zorg, it's a good start, but an office in the middle of town, even an evil town, is almost certainly too conspicuous. A corrupt corporate executive might be able to roll with it, but for your purposes, I strongly recommend something more along the lines of a dark, ominous castle, or perhaps a volcano of some sort."

He drops a stack of papers on the client's desk.

"Here's a full report. I'll send you the bill."

Show
    Rolling a Profession check to earn gp.

(1d20+13)[27]

Consultant work keeps food on the table, but it doesn't offer the same job satisfaction as true villainy. Bartholomew walks out the door with a sigh.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-01-27 at 09:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Maybe he'd been too preoccupied with the mindless. Maybe not. But either way, he hadn't noticed the disturbance until it was just a few feet away. His rhythmic steps slowed and came to a halt, followed shortly by the crack of his crystal staff against stone. Grey orbs scanned the street momentarily before dipping to the forgotten bag.

"Show yourself, little one." His voice would ring within her mind, coming from everywhere and nowhere at once. Should the frightened petal look from under the bag, she would see the fiendish man in his traveling cloak, a dark tunic of indiscernable color underneath and a hint of... something between the two.

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

Sobbing, and hugging the hummingbird that had came with her, chosen to accept Titania's banishment of Violet, and to come with her, after a chance encounter, Violet is barely paying attention to her dark surroundings, wondering what hellish plane she had been sent to, her mind imagining terrible places, with endless sunlight, and salt and sand everywhere, or else maybe a really, really small plane, where she can barely move. As she thinks, in her misery her mind slowly concludes that this is a tiny plane, one made just to torment her.
    But then a voice speaks, in her head, thunderous in its volume, awe inspiring in its size.
    A command, one that no petal ever likes following. An order to show herself.
    She struggles with the strange place she is, seeking an opening, the bag seeming to move on it's own, but she is unable to open the sealed bag, as it is tied shut from the outside, which only increases her fear.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

He sighed aloud some moments later, once the fact that the bag was tied shut had become apparent. Now, what purpose did that serve to anyone...

A wave of his free hand was all that it took, twisting the aether to his whim. From this simple motion was born a finger-sized shard of crystal, sent flying at the opening of the bag when it seemed the entrapped thing was towards the back end. The fabric was easily torn.

11. - Top - End - #11

GreenSorcererElf

Struggling to get out of the strange prison she found herself in, Violet did not take long to find the tear, or to escape.
    What Malus sees is rather... odd.
    A tiny faerie, not much more than a foot high, with a head with violet petals instead of hair, with four more, larger petals on her back. Her skin is a light shade of violet, and her purple dress seems to be none the worse for the wear, remaining a truly exquisite example of craftmanship. She carries a tiny bag on her hip, and after she escapes, she looks around, noting Malus, before she leans back down to the bag, carefully opening it, and a tiny bird comes gingerly out of the bag as well. The two make a strange duo indeed, especially in this place.
    Satisfied that her companion was fine, she glares up at Malus, as her high pitched voice seems to chime through the air.
    "Where am I? Who are you? Why is this place so terrible? Is this place all like this?"
    She gestures at the soot coated walls and collapsing houses in the immediate area.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Malus couldn't help the slight grin as the sight of the petal and her pet bird. He'd rarely seen things so cute in father's tower. It was... different. A good kind of different. A nice change, if you will.

"I believe that this place is called Deathgrave, though I prefer the old name, Veilstrum, myself; it rolls off the tongue better. I cannot say that I know much more than that. Do tell, why were you in that bag?" Again, his voice rang through her mind, though his gaze tend to wander to the mindless on occassion.

13. - Top - End - #13

GreenSorcererElf

As the strange creature bared it's teeth at her, Violet is briefly tempted to run, but, looking around, the entire world seemed to be a terrible, terrible place, without a flower in sight.
    But then the voice spoke in her head again, answering her question. Could it be that the strange creature in front of her was the source? It was certainly something nearby, so, perhaps, more conversation might give her the answer that she sought.
    "Deathgrave? A fitting name for this hellish place. Why would anyone want to be here? Why are you here? Do you work for Her?"
    While normally, Violet would be happy to exchange answers, this place was so different from her garden, she had almost no answers that she was willing to give.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

"I am here only as a traveler. It is... certainly not a suitable home, no." He fell silent for a few moments as he thought. He didn't like standing here, out in the open with the mindless.

"Of whom do you speak? Nevermind, you may answer as we walk. Do bring that crystal with you, please." He might as well have been commanding the poor thing. His paranoia had gotten the better of him quickly, and he resumed his slow pace with hardly any hesitation.

15. - Top - End - #15

GreenSorcererElf

She looks up at the giant thing, curiously.
    "Why would you choose to come to this place? It's Mean!"
    She collects the sparkly crystal, admiring it, before she speaks up again.
    "Walking is no fun, though, especially in this place. Do you think we can find a garden here?"
    Without further ado, she starts flying along, flying somewhat erratically as she looks at things, the hummingbird in tow. She does not get within five feet of Malus, and not more than 20 feet away.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

"I do hate to repeat myself, miss. Of whom did you speak when you asked if I worked for her?" Malus inquired once more as he continued to walk. No, he was certain that there would not be a garden in such a place. Answering her frivolous concern would accomplish nothing, however.

17. - Top - End - #17

GreenSorcererElf

"Titania. What's your name?"
    She is quite clearly distracted, her innate curiosity barely winning over her horror at this desolate place.
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Nothing about the name came to mind immediately.

"I am Malus. And your name?"

19. - Top - End - #19

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Yea... it would probably be a know: nature check to learn more about her

Violet flies closer to him, hovering in front of him as they move along.
    "I'm Violet! Nice to meet you, Malus."
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

"It is nice to me- Is that gnome riding atop one of the mindless?" Bizarre... Bizarre was the only word that he could produce to describe the scene before him...
    Last edited by BassWalker; 2014-01-26 at 12:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

GreenSorcererElf

As the unlikely duo walks(And flies) down the street before them, Violet flies from side to side, looking for some form of life, a weed even, or a rat... but funds nothing. Looking more and more glum as time went on, her attitude starts to seem less hopeful, and more desperate, seeking something familiar to her. But she fails. It seems that in this place, death reigns, something that is totally anathema to the nature loving fey.

After half an hour, she hears the voice in her head mention something about a gnome, and her heart beats faster. Perhaps this was a sign that maybe this entire place wasn't dead?

Almost eagerly, she looks up... and is horribly disappointed. Instead of a gnome, she sees something terrible.
    A creature made of death, and on it, something that almost seemed to emanate death, as though it was controlling the creature beneath.

"That's... that's terrible! What kind of creature is that! It's... it's a monster!"
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

A block or two away, upon hearing violet, Hedratis stops "humming" and freezes. "Oh! Is there another guardsmen nearby? I wonder if this one will be more helpful!" He thinks, as he floats steadily towards the cry.

Spoiler
    Show
    I may only have a +5 to listen, but I like to act in fluff as if I have really good hearing, as I have flippin Blindsight! I can hear shapes!
    And I now have a decent reason to go towards the rest of the party! yay! to join may be a different matter...
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2014-01-26 at 01:16 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

He almost chuckled. Almost. Sure, he was not fond of the mindless, but to call them monsters... Instead, Malus settled for a smirk of amusement at the petal's outburst. Well, he would admit that the gnome appeared a little strange upon a second look, not that it seemed to mean much of anything in this town.

"Trust me, there are things much more monstrous than a pale gnome. Even the mindless one seems to be normal." He chuckled, until he felt something approaching. Something large, and ravenous.

He turned his gaze upon the creature, dark orbs alight with silver flame as he clutched his staff tighter. "State your purpose, creature!" Rather than the petal, his voice would ring disembodied within the mind of the gelatinous creature.

24. - Top - End - #24

It's been a little while since the explosion now, and Innika (and her companion) are wandering a little aimlessly.

That is, until a high pitched voice cries out.

"Monster!? What do you mean? My Lief isn't a monster!" Innika scrambles up to stand on the shoulders of the figure, her hands accidentally pulling the hood off the creature and revealing it to be a grinning skeleton. Her hand now rests on the top of the skull to balance her weight as she shakes an accusing finger at the tiny petal. "Look at him! He's as cute as could be."

She doesn't seem to take note of either the Tiefling or the approaching cube. Neither of them insulted her precious skeleton, so what do they matter?

Spoiler
    Show
    Just named the skeleton now, I must admit. Been thinking for a while about it, and haven't been able to decide.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-01-26 at 05:29 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Note that Hedratis isn't very visible right now, as he felt lonely each time he tried... what insensitive jerks! Running and screaming like that!

Anyways, only Malus should know where I am, or that I'm a cube. He might fade into visibility in a bit though. As far as everybody else knows, there was just a humming ghost.

Blackguards have been able to see me, as the have more ranks to put into spot, and get lucky on occasion.

Hedratis hums slightly (ride of the Valkyries) as he floats over the street towards the cry, Slowly at first as he thinks. "Its been a while since he found a guardsmen! All of them scream monster when they see him... is that the word for cubes out here?" He continues forward, happy for another chance to get directions, but stops suddenly as the voice rings in his mind.

He then vibrates "Cool! Mindspeak! Are you a guardsmen? I've been trying to ask one of you for directions but you guys keep screaming and stuff. Anyways, do you know where I can find a hero? I've been looking for while, and I can't seem to find one, let alone one worth being a minion to!"

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

When the voice speaks in her head, trying to convince her that the creature in front of her was not a terrible thing, she shakes her head.
    "She walks with death! It is forbidden!"
    As Innika explains that the abomination isn't a monster, Violet looks at him, clearly not liking it. At all.
    "It is a thing of death, not life. It has no place in this world, or any other. The queen... She was quite clear on such things, and they hurt."

While she tries to express her opinion of the skeleton further, she gets distracted by another voice, seemingly from thin air.
    She looks around for the source((1d20+15)[33] spot), and as she does so, she chimes in as well.
    "Heroes? Who are you? Where are you? I've never heard of anything like you!"
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #27

Shortly outside of Bartholomew's workspace, The city's alarm begins to ring, a loud whirring sounds throughout the cities streets, the mindless guards all rush to the location of the sounds, some civilians poke their heads out the window, cursing the sound for disrupting their sleep.

The sound rings loud enough to scare any birds near the source, as they fly at full speed away from the sound, two of them fly into the flying cube, stuck in its insides, unaware of what is even happening, the others continue their flight at full speed.

One of the Captains of the guardsmen rushes past the four of you at full speed, a huge grin on his face, dark red skin, and horns from his head, he leaps up and wings sprout from his backside, floating up onto one of the buildings and continues his run, stopping at the corner of the city.

The guards form at the wall, weapons drawn, the red man standing atop one of the buildings with a large bow out.. Waiting.
    Spoiler: Crest's just-awesome Club.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    I think Crestfallen has demonstrated that she is an epic swordsage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    You are wonderful and deserve a personal unicorn to carry you everywhere you want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post
    Crest, stop getting me interested in your games!

28. - Top - End - #28

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, who was talking to the floating voice, is interrupted when the horrible noise began, wincing as the high pitched tones make her head hurt. Almost enough to not notice the poor birds get trapped in mid air, a strange sight indeed, and almost enough to stop her from dodging the red thing that tries to run her over, but she manages it.
    Almost overwhelmed by the painful sound, she covers her ears ineffectively, and cries out.
    "Make it stop! It hurts!"
    Show

Violet, A Faerie Affair

29. - Top - End - #29

Will hears Korin sniffing at the air behind him. "Er, taken a shine to soot, then? Gotta envy you, there."
    "Er, no. Actually, I smell pudding."
    "What? Oh, come on, why would this city have..." Jezette pauses and joins him in sniffing. "Well, whaddaya know. That's pudding, alright."
    "Really? Hunh. Well, I got nothin', but decent chance of food and drink that way. Care to follow your noses?"
    "Ooh, haven't had pudding in forever... Sure!" Korin nods, while Jezette shrugs amiably.

They change course toward the nigh-undetectable gelatinous cube. Briefly. It's only a few minutes before the alarm starts blaring. A guard rushes past. "Hmm..." Will puts on a smile. "Let's go check that out." And he's off. Jezette shrugs with a smile of her own and matches his pace. "But, but... pudding..." Korin whines before hurrying to catch up.

Will is relieved at this. He's mostly been making it up as he went along, not really sure what to do, but not about to let that show. A little civil disaster to investigate is just what the doctor ordered.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I recall, Hedratis can't really be picked up by Scent, but eh. I'm fine saying someone just so happened to be making pudding on the vector from Will & Co. to Mr. Cube. >.>

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

He had smiled again at the gelatinous creature's inquiry. There were so many curious things in the world, he was finding. The endless droves of mindless, the faerie with her pet bird, the gnome and her mount, and now this. What would be next?

But alas, there was no time to contemplate the situation further. That awful, accursed noise filled the air so absolutely, seeming like it wished to do them harm itself. Grimacing in discomfort, Malus raised his staff only briefly, and he brought it down with a sharp crack upon the stone that pervaded the horrid noise to find resonance within it. In only seconds, the terrible alarm softened and fell quiet, until it was only so loud as the group whispering to one another.

"I am no guardsman, nor a hero, but you may accompany me, gelatinous one." His voice rang lonesome within the creature's mind again, the flames gone from his gaze.

"I suggest that we be moving." His voice was broadcast to the whole of the group. However, he was not at all specific about in which direction he meant...